Requirements to receiving salvation

Doug Brents

I would appreciate feedback on the letter below that I am writing to a minister (who calls himself "paster") of a Church I have been attending for some time. I met with this man, along with a couple of the Elders of the congregation, to discuss this error in their teaching, but they refused to listen, or even to open their Bibles to explore God's Word more thoroughly. I was quite exasperated with them, but I hold out hope that they will come to an understanding of the truth.

Below is the bulk of the letter:
I am very confused by something that I have heard you preaching on recently. You have said, and others preaching at Bethlehem have also preached, that faith is an action term, and I agree wholeheartedly. It is not a passive, mental only, concept. But it requires action to be made real and complete as James 2:26 states clearly. You have even cited Eph 2:8-9 where we are told that salvation is a grace (gift) of God that is received through faith. This, I hope you would agree, means that faith must be demonstrated BEFORE the grace of salvation is received, and if there is no demonstration of faith then salvation is not received.

There are three things that Scripture says are required for an individual to receive salvation: Repentance (Acts 3:19), Confession of Jesus' name (Rom 10:9-10), and Baptism (Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16). For Scripture to be infallible, ALL parts of Scripture must be true at the same time. This means that the doctrine based on John 3:16 is not complete without including Acts 3:19 in the conversation, and they are not complete without Rom 10:9-10, and they are not complete without Acts 2:38 (and if there were any other passages that gave another condition for the reception of salvation, those would have to be included also).

Yet you then skip over faith in your invitation call, going directly to receiving salvation without any demonstration of faith exhibited. I find this discrepancy confusing. If the faith that Scripture says is required to receive the gift of salvation is not exhibited, then salvation is not received. These are the minimum requirements of faith that Scripture (not Jon) says are required to receive the gift of salvation.

I understand your reluctance to accept these facts. Many people believe that if there is any action required of man to receive salvation that would constitute earning salvation and negate grace. But when we consider the examples in the Old Testament, like the Israelite's taking possession of the Promised Land, we can see how God has worked in the past. God frequently freely gives a gift, but He puts conditions upon the reception of that gift.
Did God give Israel the Land? Yes.
Did they deserve the Land? No.
Did they possess the Land when He gave it to them? No.
Did they have to take any action to receive the Land? Yes.
Was the Land theirs regardless of what they did? Yes.
Would they have been able to use and take advantage of owning the Land if they had not done what was commanded? No, (see the taking of AI).
Was their obedience a condition of taking possession of the Land? Yes.
Did their obedience "earn" the possession of the land? No.

Also consider the taking of Jericho, and the widow who poured out the oil to fill all the jars she could gather, and the many other examples: the gift is freely given, but there is almost always a condition placed upon the reception of the benefit of the gift.

When we determine our doctrine we must always consider ALL of Scripture that pertains to the doctrine under consideration. It doesn't matter at all what logical sounding idea we come up with, if the idea does not match with all of Scripture then the idea is wrong.

Let me give an example: what did the accusation against Jesus that was nailed to the cross above His head say?
Mark 15:26 says simply "THE KING OF THE JEWS". Yet John 19:19 says, "JESUS THE NAZARENE, THE KING OF THE JEWS" and verse 20 says it was written in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek (while Mark says nothing about languages). Does that mean that Mark is wrong? Or is John adding unnecessary (or false) information because Mark didn't mention it? No. The fact that Mark did not mention multiple languages, or Jesus' name, or the fact that He was from Nazareth is completely immaterial. These facts must not have been relevant to Mark's initial audience (or else the author, the Holy Spirit, would have instructed Mark to include those facts). ALL Scripture that refers to what the accusation said must be consulted before we determine what we believe about what the accusation said. So we cannot just take Mark's account as explaining everything that was said in the accusation.

Similarly, we cannot just take John 3:16 (or any other passage that only says "believe" as a prerequisite to receiving salvation) as explaining everything that is required to receive salvation. John 3:16 mentions only belief (translated from pistis, which is faith, not a passive mental assent), but it does not tell us what form that faith must take. Acts 2:38 tells us that the faith required to receive salvation must include repentance and baptism. Mark 16:16 says that belief and baptism are required. Rom 10:9-10 says that belief and confession of Jesus' name are required. No single verse spells out everything that is required to receive salvation, but Acts 2:38 comes the closest, because it says the people had already believed (they were pricked in the heart (verse 37)), and then were commanded to repent and be baptized in Jesus' name. 1 Pet 3:21 tells us that it is through water baptism that we receive salvation. Just as Noah had to pass through the Flood to be saved from his wicked generation, so too we must pass through the water of baptism to be saved from our sins.

Are you Church of Christ?

Are you concerned they are becoming more Calvinistic or Reformed?

Trying to frame the situation here.

My initial thoughts are these.

Any action required CAN become a legalistic work, because the action does not show the heart underneath. For example, requiring baptism for salvation is making the requirement external instead of internal, a form of legalism, and misses the "spirit for the letter." It is like taking the verse "confess with your mouth," and insisting there is no salvation without a verbal confession—all those poor mute people just can't be saved.

Repentance can be defined legalistically, and without an admission of that, one cannot have a proper definition of what repentance means. We don't want to preach sinless perfectionism here, and no one "repents" perfectly. The faith from the heart can be expressed in many different and invisible ways, and no man can measure that, God alone knows. The repentant lifestyle is a fruit, not a root, of salvation, a gift of grace.

Peace in Christ.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would appreciate feedback on the letter below that I am writing to a minister (who calls himself "paster") of a Church I have been attending for some time. I met with this man, along with a couple of the Elders of the congregation, to discuss this error in their teaching, but they refused to listen, or even to open their Bibles to explore God's Word more thoroughly. I was quite exasperated with them, but I hold out hope that they will come to an understanding of the truth.

Below is the bulk of the letter:
I am very confused by something that I have heard you preaching on recently. You have said, and others preaching at Bethlehem have also preached, that faith is an action term, and I agree wholeheartedly. It is not a passive, mental only, concept. But it requires action to be made real and complete as James 2:26 states clearly. You have even cited Eph 2:8-9 where we are told that salvation is a grace (gift) of God that is received through faith. This, I hope you would agree, means that faith must be demonstrated BEFORE the grace of salvation is received, and if there is no demonstration of faith then salvation is not received.

There are three things that Scripture says are required for an individual to receive salvation: Repentance (Acts 3:19), Confession of Jesus' name (Rom 10:9-10), and Baptism (Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16). For Scripture to be infallible, ALL parts of Scripture must be true at the same time. This means that the doctrine based on John 3:16 is not complete without including Acts 3:19 in the conversation, and they are not complete without Rom 10:9-10, and they are not complete without Acts 2:38 (and if there were any other passages that gave another condition for the reception of salvation, those would have to be included also).

Yet you then skip over faith in your invitation call, going directly to receiving salvation without any demonstration of faith exhibited. I find this discrepancy confusing. If the faith that Scripture says is required to receive the gift of salvation is not exhibited, then salvation is not received. These are the minimum requirements of faith that Scripture (not Jon) says are required to receive the gift of salvation.

I understand your reluctance to accept these facts. Many people believe that if there is any action required of man to receive salvation that would constitute earning salvation and negate grace. But when we consider the examples in the Old Testament, like the Israelite's taking possession of the Promised Land, we can see how God has worked in the past. God frequently freely gives a gift, but He puts conditions upon the reception of that gift.
Did God give Israel the Land? Yes.
Did they deserve the Land? No.
Did they possess the Land when He gave it to them? No.
Did they have to take any action to receive the Land? Yes.
Was the Land theirs regardless of what they did? Yes.
Would they have been able to use and take advantage of owning the Land if they had not done what was commanded? No, (see the taking of AI).
Was their obedience a condition of taking possession of the Land? Yes.
Did their obedience "earn" the possession of the land? No.

Also consider the taking of Jericho, and the widow who poured out the oil to fill all the jars she could gather, and the many other examples: the gift is freely given, but there is almost always a condition placed upon the reception of the benefit of the gift.

When we determine our doctrine we must always consider ALL of Scripture that pertains to the doctrine under consideration. It doesn't matter at all what logical sounding idea we come up with, if the idea does not match with all of Scripture then the idea is wrong.

Let me give an example: what did the accusation against Jesus that was nailed to the cross above His head say?
Mark 15:26 says simply "THE KING OF THE JEWS". Yet John 19:19 says, "JESUS THE NAZARENE, THE KING OF THE JEWS" and verse 20 says it was written in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek (while Mark says nothing about languages). Does that mean that Mark is wrong? Or is John adding unnecessary (or false) information because Mark didn't mention it? No. The fact that Mark did not mention multiple languages, or Jesus' name, or the fact that He was from Nazareth is completely immaterial. These facts must not have been relevant to Mark's initial audience (or else the author, the Holy Spirit, would have instructed Mark to include those facts). ALL Scripture that refers to what the accusation said must be consulted before we determine what we believe about what the accusation said. So we cannot just take Mark's account as explaining everything that was said in the accusation.

Similarly, we cannot just take John 3:16 (or any other passage that only says "believe" as a prerequisite to receiving salvation) as explaining everything that is required to receive salvation. John 3:16 mentions only belief (translated from pistis, which is faith, not a passive mental assent), but it does not tell us what form that faith must take. Acts 2:38 tells us that the faith required to receive salvation must include repentance and baptism. Mark 16:16 says that belief and baptism are required. Rom 10:9-10 says that belief and confession of Jesus' name are required. No single verse spells out everything that is required to receive salvation, but Acts 2:38 comes the closest, because it says the people had already believed (they were pricked in the heart (verse 37)), and then were commanded to repent and be baptized in Jesus' name. 1 Pet 3:21 tells us that it is through water baptism that we receive salvation. Just as Noah had to pass through the Flood to be saved from his wicked generation, so too we must pass through the water of baptism to be saved from our sins.
You made some valid points and the only one that is debatable would be water baptism which follows conversion after one has been born again by the Spirit- Spirit Baptism. :)

Are you Church of Christ?

Are you concerned they are becoming more Calvinistic or Reformed?

Trying to frame the situation here.
I was raised in the Church of Christ, but have found that some of their teaching are unBiblical (such as their stance on instrumental music, and thier belief that they are the ONLY true Church). But I have found that most of their beliefs are correct Biblically.

You made some valid points and the only one that is debatable would be water baptism which follows conversion after one has been born again by the Spirit- Spirit Baptism. :)
How then does 1 Pet 3:21 fit in with this doctrine?

1 Pet 3:20-21 - "eight persons, were brought safely through the water. 21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ"

The baptism referenced here THAT NOW SAVES YOU is the baptism is water since that is what corresponds to the water of the Flood. See also the conversion of Paul in Acts 22. He was commanded to "Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name." If it were Spirit baptism which saved (washed away sins), they why did Paul have to "get up"? The Spirit could have cleansed Paul where he sat, but he was commanded to get up so that he could go to where the water was and be immersed into it to wash away his sins.

1 Pet 3:20-21 - "eight persons, were brought safely through the water. 21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ"

The baptism referenced here THAT NOW SAVES YOU is the baptism is water since that is what corresponds to the water of the Flood. See also the conversion of Paul in Acts 22. He was commanded to "Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name." If it were Spirit baptism which saved (washed away sins), they why did Paul have to "get up"? The Spirit could have cleansed Paul where he sat, but he was commanded to get up so that he could go to where the water was and be immersed into it to wash away his sins.
Its a picture representing what happens to a believer as Paul describes in Romans 6 and Titus 3:5- water represents what the washing by the Spirit has already done.

I understand where are coming from.

I just had an extensive conversation recently with a very dear and intelligent Church of Christ fellow, and he was very zealous.

I think there are times when a step of obedience is something God requires of us, but not in a legalistic way.

I would see Paul as saved on his way to get baptized—because he is expressing faith and being obedient.

And thinking people who die on a car crash on the way to get baptized are unsaved is.... really ridiculous to me.

Remember, they were all baptized in the CLOUD and the WATER, 1 Corinthians 10.

But which came first? The cloud (spirit) or the water (flesh)? The baptism in the cloud came first.

When they were baptized in the cloud, they had already been "saved" from Egypt and their oppressors—they were "out."

So it's important to look past the letter of the law, and look to the spirit underneath.

I don't find the baptism verses conclusively overriding salvation by faith.

Its a picture representing what happens to a believer as Paul describes in Romans 6 and Titus 3:5- water represents what the washing by the Spirit has already done.
That is reading into Scripture what is not there. There is nothing emblematic about the water of the Flood. It washed away the sin of the past and saved those who were in the Ark. Look at Rom 6:1-4 and Col 2:11-14. Both of them say that it is during baptism (water baptism as stated in 1 Pet 3:21) that the Holy Spirit takes action to remove our sins. Eph 4:5-6 tells us that there is only one baptism in the Church. That baptism, according to 1 Pet 3:21, must include water since that is the baptism that saves us.

That is reading into Scripture what is not there. There is nothing emblematic about the water of the Flood. It washed away the sin of the past and saved those who were in the Ark. Look at Rom 6:1-4 and Col 2:11-14. Both of them say that it is during baptism (water baptism as stated in 1 Pet 3:21) that the Holy Spirit takes action to remove our sins. Eph 4:5-6 tells us that there is only one baptism in the Church. That baptism, according to 1 Pet 3:21, must include water since that is the baptism that saves us.
And the spirit is also represented as water- living waters as Jesus promised.

Water Symbolizes the Reception of the Holy Spirit​

Water signifies the reception of the Holy Spirit. The prophet Ezekiel compared the Spirit of God with the cleansing of the heart.

I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws (Ezekiel 36:25-27 NIV).

Water is seen as symbol of the Spirit of God coming into a person’s life and cleansing their heart from sin.

2. The Pouring of Water at the Feast of Tabernacles​

At the Feast of Tabernacles, or Booths, the priest would pour water next to the altar as the final ritual of this feast. This event looked forward to the time the Messiah would come. Zechariah wrote of that great day when Messiah would come.

Then the survivors from all the nations that have attacked Jerusalem will go up year after year to worship the King, the LORD Almighty, and to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles (Zechariah 14:16 NIV).

Thus, the water symbolized the day of the Messiah, the Deliverer. We find this same truth taught in the New Testament. It is in this context, at the Festival of Tabernacles or Booths, that Jesus spoke of “living water.” We read of the following event in the life of Jesus.

On the last and most important day of the festival, Jesus stood up and shouted, “If you are thirsty, come to me and drink! Have faith in me, and you will have life-giving water flowing from deep inside you, just as the Scriptures say.” Jesus was talking about the Holy Spirit, who would be given to everyone that had faith in him. The Spirit had not yet been given to anyone, since Jesus had not yet been given his full glory (John 7:37-39 CEV).

Jesus claimed to be the fulfillment of the Messianic hope of the people. The Holy Spirit would be the evidence in the lives of believers that His claims were true. Out of their innermost being would come rivers or torrents of living or life-giving water. This was Jesus’ prediction of the coming of the Holy Spirit.

3. Jesus Gives Life-giving Water to Those Who Believe​

Jesus told a woman in Samaria that He is the One who gives living water to those who have a spiritual thirst. We read.

But those who drink the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life (John 4:14 TNIV).

Water as a symbol of the Holy Spirit here represents eternal life.

4. He Gives the Water of Life​

The Bible speaks of the water of life.

Then he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life (Revelation 21:6 NRSV).

This water brings life. John also wrote.

The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” Everyone who hears this should say, “Come!” If you are thirsty, come! If you want life-giving water, come and take it. It’s free! (Revelation 22:17 CEV).

Jesus offers the water of life. Again, the Holy Spirit represents that life-giving water that quenches our spiritual thirst.

5. Water Is Symbolic of Satisfaction and Prosperity​

In the Bible, we find that water signifies such things as satisfaction and prosperity. The psalmist wrote.

May his reign be as refreshing as the springtime rains—like the showers that water the earth (Psalm 72:6 NLT).

Since the rains were absolutely necessary for the survival of those people, they represented prosperity and satisfaction. Indeed, without the rains the people would have neither.

In the same manner, without the Spirit of God none of us can have spiritual satisfaction.

Isaiah the prophet records the Lord saying of how He will bring water to the barren places of the desert.

I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs (Isaiah 41:18 NIV).

This again testifies to the value of water. The Lord also said.

I am creating something new. There it is! Do you see it? I have put roads in deserts, streams in thirsty lands Isaiah 43:19 CEV).
Water is thus a fitting symbol for the person and work of the Holy Spirit. For only with Him, can one achieve satisfaction and prosperity in this life. Therefore from Scripture we find that water has a number of important symbolic meanings for the believer. Indeed, it is a wonderful symbol of the work of the Spirit of God in the lives of His people.

Summary – Question 24
Why Is the Holy Spirit Compared to Water?​

In the dry and desert world of the Bible, water was an extremely important commodity. Consequently, we find that the Bible uses water as a symbol of the Holy Spirit. We note that there are a number of essential truths we learn from this comparison.

In the Book of Ezekiel water symbolizes the reception of the Holy Spirit. It represents the cleansing which takes place when a person puts their trust in the God of Scripture.

We find the same thing in the New Testament. Jesus said that He would give life-giving water to those who have believed in Him. This was referring to the Holy Spirit. The reception of the Holy Spirit would be the evidence that a person had truly believed in the Lord.

The Bible also uses water as a symbol of satisfaction and prosperity. This fits well with the Holy Spirit who satisfies and prospers those who believe in the Lord. Indeed, spiritual prosperity is impossible without the work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the person. On the other hand, when the Holy Spirit is leading and guiding someone, they will truly prosper.

In sum, water is a fitting symbol of the work of the Holy Spirit. Only the God of the Bible can solve the problem of our spiritual thirst. don stewart

hope this helps !!!

I understand where are coming from.

I just had an extensive conversation recently with a very dear and intelligent Church of Christ fellow, and he was very zealous.

I think there are times when a step of obedience is something God requires of us, but not in a legalistic way.

I would see Paul as saved on his way to get baptized—because he is expressing faith and being obedient.

And thinking people who die on a car crash on the way to get baptized are unsaved is.... really ridiculous to me.

Remember, they were all baptized in the CLOUD and the WATER, 1 Corinthians 10.

But which came first? The cloud (spirit) or the water (flesh)? The baptism in the cloud came first.

When they were baptized in the cloud, they had already been "saved" from Egypt and their oppressors—they were "out."

So it's important to look past the letter of the law, and look to the spirit underneath.

I don't find the baptism verses conclusively overriding salvation by faith.
Salvation during baptism IS faith.
Faith is not the same as belief. It is not just mental assent. For faith to be alive, effective, and the proper conduit for salvation into our life, action must be a part of it (James 2:26). If there is no action, then that "faith" is dead and worthless (and is not really faith at all). Consider, if the Israelites had not left their tents to march around Jericho, would the walls have fallen? If they had not put the blood on the door posts during the 10th plague, would their children have remained alive? While there is something to be said about there being too much legalism in some Churches today, there is also a strong need to remember that God does REQUIRE some specific actions be taken in obedience to Him before His gifts are received by us.

Salvation during baptism IS faith.

You're mixing up externals with internals.

People can dunk in water with no faith.

While there is something to be said about there being too much legalism in some Churches today, there is also a strong need to remember that God does REQUIRE some specific actions be taken in obedience to Him before His gifts are received by us.

I can agree with this sentence as it stands.

No more than "confess with your mouth" proves that sound waves vibrating the air is what saves us.
Without the blood of Christ nothing can save us. But without confessing Jesus as our Lord, He will not confess us before the Father (Matt 10:32). If we profess belief in Him but do not do what He says, then we do not really believe. And if we are not buried with Him in baptism, then we are not raised with Him by the Spirit to new life (Rom 6:4-5)
It is the faith in the heart underneath.
Absolutely it is the condition of the heart that matters. If there is no heart to make Jesus Lord of our life, then being baptized just gets us wet; the Holy Spirit does not meet us there and remove our sins. But if we profess belief in Jesus and are never buried with Him in baptism, then we never meet the Holy Spirit, He never removes our sins, and we remain lost in sin for eternity.
Yes, mute people can be saved too.
Certainly, for a mute's "mouth" (his method of communication) is his hands.

But if we profess belief in Jesus and are never buried with Him in baptism, then we never meet the Holy Spirit, He never removes our sins, and we remain lost in sin for eternity.

I don't see a requirement for water baptism for salvation in Scripture, I would see that as legalism as per the book of Galatians.

I think we have come to an insuperable impasse on this.

It has been a pleasant conversation and I pray you grow in the truth of God's Word. :)

I don't see a requirement for water baptism for salvation in Scripture, I would see that as legalism as per the book of Galatians.
The requirement is stated in:
Mark 16:16
Acts 2:38 and others.
And is demonstrated in:
Acts 8:36,
Acts 22:16, and others.
And is upheld by numerous passages:
Rom 6:1-4,
Col 2:11-14,
Gal 3:27,
1 Pet 3:21,
John 3:5,
Eph 5:26, and others.
And we are told that there is only one baptism in the NT Church:
Eph 4:5
I think we have come to an insuperable impasse on this.
There is no impasse that is insurmountable if we allow Scripture to speak and alter our heart to fit with Scripture. But if our heart is set and unwilling to yield to the Scripture, then the impasse is between that person and God.
It has been a pleasant conversation and I pray you grow in the truth of God's Word. :)
I also have enjoyed chatting with you. I hope we can continue at some point.

Requirements "require" interpretation, otherwise mute people cannot be saved.

who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant,
not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. (2 Cor. 3:6 NKJ)

I'm available to chat anytime through various electronic means!

Indulge a Baptist observation on Water Baptism: ALREADY AND NOT YET.

We Baptists are persnickety about practicing Believers Baptism by immersion. The reason is some pretty important symbolism in the act that points to a REALITY that is PAST, PRESENT and FUTURE in its scope.
  • PAST: When you are baptized by immersion (as a confessing believer), you are proclaiming a link to a very real historic event. We were buried with Christ for the forgiveness of our sins. Our Justification is a "done deal" accomplished by Him, 2000 years ago. So TODAY, we share in that event symbolically by being buried under the water ... with Him ... and rising from the grave, with Him and with His promise of eternal life. What we WERE is dead, what we ARE has just begun.
  • PRESENT: Ephesians 2 talks about being dead and being made alive. John 3 talks about the rebirth of the Holy Spirit. Our sins were redeemed 2000 years ago in His death, but something just as wonderful has happened TODAY. We have been reborn as new creations. Just as we DIED when we plunged under the water, we ARE REBORN when we emerge from the water. No, the water does not SAVE us ... The HOLY SPIRIT (which is represented by the water) cleanses and renews and saves us ... TODAY. ... And Every Day that is still TODAY. Baptism is an "Ebeneezer" (stone of remembrance) that we are a new creation walking in a new life, TODAY.
  • FUTURE: Baptism is a reminder that we are not home, yet. This mortal body that we now inhabit will one day be buried beneath the dirt just as surely as we were buried under that water. However, just as surely as Jesus rose from the grave in the PAST and we rose from the water in the PRESENT, we WILL rise from that dirt tomb in the FUTURE! We are not home yet! ... but we WILL GET THERE!!!! We will rise GLORIFIED and be with Jesus forever.
So the "symbolic" act of Baptism by Immersion carries within it a spiritual link to not one, but THREE metaphysical realities: Our Past Justification, our Present Sanctification, our Future Glorification. That is why Baptists make such a big enough deal about it that we were historically willing to DIE for the issue of Credobaptism by Immersion.

Last edited:
As for me I don't believe one has to be water baptized to be saved but I will say this if one begins to resist this simple basic request of the Lord then what's that say about one to begin with. New Testament repentance means making an about face in regard to who is your Lord and King. The King (Jesus) has made a decree and what.... someone might want to resist doing it? Repentance again means he's the King. We obey him and it's supposed to be not my will be his will be done.

But to say one HAS to be baptized and if you're not your not saved....well the thief on the cross wasn't and we know Jesus told him he would be with him in paradise. So people need to get the spirit by which these things are said.

So back to water baptism. One should also not consider it something they have to do but something they get to do. Water baptism is very much like a wedding ceremony that you're opening acknowledging your old man is dead and your now arisen a new man in Christ Jesus. The actual being born again in the spirit can happen before and most are saved before water baptism. If you're thinking you need to check that box of baptism, as it comes to water well what if your minister or church just won't baptize you until the weekend? What if you died before you got there?

I will say this though. I think when people get saved and they say OK we're having a water baptism service in a month or two and you might want to consider having that done. NO WAY. I think they really should say today, tomorrow or by the end of the week but this delaying this for convenience I think is wrong. Here's why.

Water baptism help you with your spiritual consciousness if you understand it correctly. It's a symbol yes but so is taking communion. What is communion meant to do. It imparts in you a picture...an image into you mind to mediate upon....that Jesus body on the cross took your sin, guilt and curse and that his precious blood has blotted out your sin, *the wine) and if mediated upon rightly it helps in giving you a righteousness consciousness of being justified, just as if you'd never sinned.

So God instituted these things for OUR benefit for it's meant to help to produce something in you. Same as water baptism. When you're tempted to sin what's supposed to come to our minds is, "Hold it wait a minute! My old man died the death of the cross and I was raised to LIFE" When I went down in the baptism waters it's a type my old man has died and I no longer live but Christ lives in me! So you see why God even made it a part of a requiement....TO HELP US.

Back
Top Bottom