Requirements to receiving salvation

Just checking the first one on your list:

Galatians 3:23-29 [NASB20]
23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the Law, being confined for the faith that was destined to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our guardian [to lead us] to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. 26 For you are all sons [and daughters] of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.

It says NOTHING about WATER, so the "baptized into Christ" could just as easily be 100% spiritual ... especially since the general points are "FAITH" replaces "LAW", and "all are one in Christ".

Just checking the first one on your list:

Galatians 3:23-29 [NASB20]
23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the Law, being confined for the faith that was destined to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our guardian [to lead us] to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. 26 For you are all sons [and daughters] of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.

It says NOTHING about WATER, so the "baptized into Christ" could just as easily be 100% spiritual ... especially since the general points are "FAITH" replaces "LAW", and "all are one in Christ".
If that verse were taken in isolation, that might be a possibly. However, we must keep in mind that there is only one baptism in the NT Church (Eph 4:5-6), and that one baptism must be in water (1 Pet 3:21). That being the case, the baptism that brings us "into Christ" in Gal 3:27 must be in water.

If that verse were taken in isolation, that might be a possibly. However, we must keep in mind that there is only one baptism in the NT Church (Eph 4:5-6), and that one baptism must be in water (1 Pet 3:21). That being the case, the baptism that brings us "into Christ" in Gal 3:27 must be in water.
1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Titus 3:5
he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Titus 3:5
he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,
I know what you are saying, and again if you take those passages in isolation you could be correct. But since we cannot take any passage of Scripture in isolation, we must search for any passage that gives input on the topic and include all of them in our doctrine. Yes, the Holy Spirit is pivotal in the process of salvation for He is the one doing the work. But as has been noted, He only takes action during water baptism as 1 Pet 3:21 indicates.

Eph 5:25-27 (which I overlooked in my previous list) - "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless."

Gal 3:26-27
Rom 6:1-4
Col 2:11-14
Mark 16:16
John 3:5
1 Pet 3:21
The only verse that explicitly mentions water and can possibly disqualify the Baptism of Mark 10:38-39 is John 3:5. If you think about it, aren't martyrs "bathed" in blood which is mainly constituted of water? Interesting...

Since Jesus himself confirms martyrdom as a baptism, then there is one baptism but it can take on different forms: water or blood. How about repentance of tears? Aren't we "bathed" in waters of tears when we repent - not to belittle water baptism because it definitely has merits that are undeniable.

Last edited:
@Doug Brents, @civic, @synergy, @atpollard

May be of interest for "water requirement" for salvation?:

One Baptism vs baptisms

Please be Encouraged and Edified...
To harmonize all Scripture so that there is no contradiction in any way, both of these must be seen as united in one event. By one Spirit we are all made one with Christ during baptism (Rom 6:1-4, Col 2:11-14, and 1 Cor 12:13). Water must be part of it because of Eph 5:26, 1 Pet 3:21, and Acts 8:36. Human action must be a part because of Acts 22:16, Acts 2:38, and Mark 16:16. There is only one baptism, and that baptism must incorporate all of the elements seen in the many places baptism is mentioned in the NT: the Holy Spirit, water, and faith.

To harmonize all Scripture so that there is no contradiction in any way, both of these must be seen as united in one event. By one Spirit we are all made one with Christ during baptism (Rom 6:1-4, Col 2:11-14, and 1 Cor 12:13). Water must be part of it because of Eph 5:26, 1 Pet 3:21, and Acts 8:36. Human action must be a part because of Acts 22:16, Acts 2:38, and Mark 16:16. There is only one baptism, and that baptism must incorporate all of the elements seen in the many places baptism is mentioned in the NT: the Holy Spirit, water, and faith.
I agree with your sentence concerning water that I highlighted above. John 3:5 makes it very clear that water cannot be argued away.

(John 3:5) Jesus answered, Truly, truly, I say to you, Unless a man is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

That's why I made mention of the Baptism of Mark 10:38-39 (Baptism of Martyrdom) which at first sight doesn't seem to incorporate water but when you think about it, aren't martyrs bathed in blood which is mainly constituted of water?

I agree with your sentence concerning water that I highlighted above. John 3:5 makes it very clear that water cannot be argued away.

(John 3:5) Jesus answered, Truly, truly, I say to you, Unless a man is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

That's why I made mention of the Baptism of Mark 10:38-39 (Baptism of Martyrdom) which at first sight doesn't seem to incorporate water but when you think about it, aren't martyrs bathed in blood which is mainly constituted of water?
I see what you are saying about blood being mostly water, but then, so is the rest of the human body. What I don't see is that baptism in blood (martyrdom) equates to water baptism. But I guess that if there is someone who was not baptized (in water) that dies a martyr's death, then they will have to stand before God and plead that connection. But I wouldn't risk my soul (or admonish others to risk their soul) on God accepting that connection if I have the opportunity to be baptized before I am martyred.

I see what you are saying about blood being mostly water, but then, so is the rest of the human body. What I don't see is that baptism in blood (martyrdom) equates to water baptism. But I guess that if there is someone who was not baptized (in water) that dies a martyr's death, then they will have to stand before God and plead that connection. But I wouldn't risk my soul (or admonish others to risk their soul) on God accepting that connection if I have the opportunity to be baptized before I am martyred.
James 4:17 [NASB] "So for one who knows [the] right thing to do and does not do it, for him it is sin."

Like I said before, I am not belittling water baptism in the least. We should all make the effort to get water baptized. Absolutely!

The Martyr Baptism teaches me that the Holy Spirit is co-sovereign and we must allow for Him to do as He rightly decrees. In other words, we must do what the Bible tells us to do but we must not be legalistic about it.

water baptism for salvation, today, Under Grace?

But I guess that if there is someone who was not baptized (in water) that dies a martyr's death, then they will have to stand before God and plead that connection.

If so, then let us Eliminate The Gospel Of Grace and God's One [ Spiritual ] Baptism
For those who are handicapped, paralyzed, hospitalized, home-bound, and
bed-ridden, eh?

These cannot be saved Because they will Never get into the "waters of salvation"?

So much for the BLOOD Sacrifice of The Precious Saviour, Jesus Christ, eh?

How about if we just simply stay with The Truth?:

"For By Grace are ye Saved Through faith; and that Not of yourselves: it is​
The Gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)​

This Eliminates 'boasting' like a Mega-church ( I heard of ) who are/were so
proud they reached their tremendous number ( of 50,000 ) water baptisms :cry:

Will that bode well on 'Judgment Day'? Just sayin'...

Amen.

This Eliminates 'boasting' like a Mega-church ( I heard of ) who are/were so
proud they reached their tremendous number ( of 50,000 ) water baptisms
How do you count the number of "Baptism of the Spirit" in your church?

In my "Southern Baptist" church, we look for evidence of a genuine changed life (regeneration) before we administer the symbolic ordinance of water baptism to publicly acknowledge their entrance and welcome them into the local community of believers. [Credobaptism - immersion of those that profess 'I believe' ... that's literally what the word means.]

If so, then let us Eliminate The Gospel Of Grace and God's One [ Spiritual ] Baptism
For those who are handicapped, paralyzed, hospitalized, home-bound, and
bed-ridden, eh? These cannot be saved Because they will Never get into the "waters of salvation"?
Not at all. There is nothing at all to stop a handicapped, paralyzed, home-bound, hospitalized, etc. from being baptized. I have seen, and participated in, many such baptisms.
How about if we just simply stay with The Truth?:

"For By Grace are ye Saved Through faith; and that Not of yourselves: it is​
The Gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)​

Amen.
We are saved by grace (Eph 2:8-9).
But what is grace? It is nothing more than a gift: the gift of God. And this gift is received through faith. God is the fountain, grace is the stream, and as Charles Spurgeon said, "Faith occupies the position of a channel or conduit pipe." It is faith that brings grace from God to us. Without faith, God's gift (grace) will not reach us.
But what is faith? Faith is belief in action. Without action, faith is dead (James 2:26); the conduit is broken and cannot bring grace to us. Grace comes entirely from God. But faith is our response to hearing the Gospel (Rom 10:17). It is taking action to make Jesus our Lord, and Master and King. Those who have been baptized into Christ belong to Christ (Gal 3:26-27), but if you have not been baptized into Christ, then you are not His and He does not know you (Matt 7:21-23).

Noah had to pass through the Flood to be saved from his wicked generation, so too we must pass through the water of baptism to be saved from our sins.
negative water does not save. the Blood attornment is the payment for our sin. to be saved one must be Born again born of the spirit and the water--the word of God. if the Church i was attending was teaching all the stuff you listed. i would move out and on to a different Church . far to much of the Church of Christ teach they are the only true new testament Church. which is wrong

we look for evidence of a genuine changed life (regeneration) before we administer the symbolic ordinance of water baptism to publicly acknowledge their entrance and welcome them into the local community of believers
that is exactly the way it should be
to many are baptized in thinking they are saved. ive had parents want me to baptize their child just to satisfy them

negative water does not save.
That is a direct contradiction of 1 Pet 3:21. I think I will trust inspired Scripture over uninspired ezra.
the Blood attornment is the payment for our sin.
Very true, and 1 Pet 3:21, Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16, Acts 22:16, Eph 5:26, and others say that it is in water baptism that we partake in that blood atonement.
to be saved one must be Born again born of the spirit and the water--the word of God.
The Word of God is not the water mentioned in Eph 5:26 - "so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word". It is in water through the Word (Jesus' blood and the working of the Holy Spirit) that we are washed clean of our sin.

No more than "confess with your mouth" proves that sound waves vibrating the air is what saves us.

It is the faith in the heart underneath.

Yes, mute people can be saved too.
I agree, the faith in our hearts can be expressed with our words ...voice. And mute people can use sign language. I think it's just agreeing with what Is taking place in your heart and expressing it.

Back
Top Bottom