The Definition of Grace

'Therefore being justified by faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
By whom also we have access by faith
into this grace wherein we stand,

and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.'

(Rom 5:1-2)

' ... ... ... the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts
by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
For when we were yet without strength,
in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

For scarcely for a righteous man will one die:
yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
But God commendeth His love toward us,
in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Much more then, being now justified by His blood,
we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
For if, when we were enemies,
we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son,
much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

And not only so, but we also joy in God
through our Lord Jesus Christ,
by Whom we have now received the atonement.'

(Rom 5:5b-11)

Praise God!

* Faith is just believing that what God says He will assuredly do.

'And many other signs truly did Jesus
in the presence of His disciples,
which are not written in this book:
But these are written, that ye might believe
that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God;
and that believing ye might have life
through His name.'

(Joh 20:30-31)

Praise God!
Not only that, Faith rests in what God has already done !

You just going in circles
You are ignoring the text

2 Corinthians 5:19 (KJV 1900) — 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5:20 (NASB 2020) — 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

There is no unconditionally elect here as, God's work required a response.

Thank you, @TomL, 🙂

'For the love of Christ constraineth us;
because we thus judge,
that if one died for all, then were all dead:
And that He died for all,
that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves,
but unto Him which died for them, and rose again.
Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh:
yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh,
yet now henceforth know we Him no more.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature:
old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
And all things are of God,
Who hath reconciled us to Himself by Jesus Christ,
and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
To wit, that God was in Christ,
reconciling the world unto Himself,
not imputing their trespasses unto them;

and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ,
as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead,
be ye reconciled to God.

For He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin;
that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.'

(2Cor. 5:14-21)

Praise God!

2 Corinthians 5:19 (KJV 1900) — 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5:20 (NASB 2020) — 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

Hi @TomL,

* Yes, this is faith obedience. An action born of faith.

'Abraham believed God and it was counted unto Him for righteousness.'
(Gal.3:6)

'By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet,
moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house;
by the which he condemned the world,
and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith
.'
(Heb 11:7)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Im not ignoring the text, I wholeheartedly agree with it

Grace is the unmerited favor of God in which God shows us mercy, kindness, and patience instead of the judgment that we deserve for sinning against Him. God's grace cannot be earned by our actions. Grace is based on the character of God and not on our performance or ability to keep the law. Otherwise, grace would no longer be grace.

Romans 11:6 - "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace."

The gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

We are saved by grace through faith, not works, not of ourselves it is the gift of God. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

Galatians 2:21 - "I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."

2 Timothy 1:9 - "who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity."

Yet God's grace (enabling power) operates sovereignly in the lives of believers.

1 Corinthians 15:10 - But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.

2 Corinthians 1:12 - For our proud confidence is this: the testimony of our conscience, that in holiness and godly sincerity, not in fleshly wisdom but in the grace of God, we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially toward you.

2 Corinthians 12:9 - And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

Titus 2:11 - For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, 12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age.
Thanks for those scriptures brother 👍

Grace is the unmerited favor of God in which God shows us mercy, kindness, and patience instead of the judgment that we deserve for sinning against Him. God's grace cannot be earned by our actions. Grace is based on the character of God and not on our performance or ability to keep the law. Otherwise, grace would no longer be grace.

'But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace." (Romans 11:6)​
'The gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)​
'We are saved by grace through faith, not works, not of ourselves it is the gift of God. (Ephesians 2:8,9)​
'I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly." (Galatians 2:21 )​
'Who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity." (2 Timothy 1:9)​

Yet God's grace (enabling power) operates sovereignly in the lives of believers.

'But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain;
but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.' (1 Corinthians 15:10)
'For our proud confidence is this: the testimony of our conscience, that in holiness and godly sincerity, not in fleshly wisdom but in the grace of God, we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially toward you.' (2 Corinthians 1:12)
'And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.' (2 Corinthians 12:9)
'For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age.' (Titus 2:11-12)
Rom. 11:6; 6:23; Eph. 2:8-9. Gal. 2:21; 2 Tim.1:9;
1Cor.15:10; 2Cor.1:12; 12:9; Tit.2:11.

Hello @mailmandan, :)

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Im not ignoring the text, I wholeheartedly agree with it
No you do not

And one is not reconciled without a response

No you do not

And one is not reconciled without a response
Yes I do, Now I dont believe you believe it

What does this have to do with the idea of God’s favor being unmerited?

Doug
Because I've noticed that people who teach unmerited favor also teach that 1 John 1:8 are born again Christians, and 1 John 1:9 is our get out of jail card to be used over and over and over again. 1 John 1:9 is actually to receive the Holy Spirit like the Repent in Acts 2:38.

Because I've noticed that people who teach unmerited favor also teach that 1 John 1:8 are born again Christians, and 1 John 1:9 is our get out of jail card to be used over and over and over again. 1 John 1:9 is actually to receive the Holy Spirit like the Repent in Acts 2:38.
1 John 1:8 says nothing about being saved, only that we are all sinners. 1John 1:9 simply gives all sinners hope that our sins can be forgiven, whether Christian or not.

Those who hold that one can sin without consequence or that sin need not be repented of and is already forgiven are, in my humble opinion, very wrong!

The belief of unmerited favor does not necessarily mean what you’re implying, nor does it support your claim regarding those of us who hold to unmerited favor.

I do not think it wise to make such wholesale accusations about all proponents of a theological position. Moreover, your argument implies that there is a type of merited favor that can be called Grace, which is an impossible concept. You might as well posit a square circle.

Doug

Moreover, your argument implies that there is a type of merited favor that can be called Grace, which is an impossible concept.
LOL Don't you know NOTHING is impossible with God? Once your mind and heart are cleansed of all unrighteousness, and God is in control of your conscience, He starts working on pruning the fruit of the Spirit towards never stumbling. 2 Peter 1:2-11

1 Corinthians 2:14

'If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins,
he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins,
and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
If we say that we have not sinned,
we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.'

(1John 1:8-10)

'Then Peter said unto them,
Repent, and be baptized every one of you
in the name of Jesus Christ
for the remission of sins,
and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'

(Act 2:38)

Hello @charismaticlady,

In 1John 1:8, that you refer to, John is including himself, with his use of the word, 'we', in what he is saying; so are you saying that John is not born again? Also the believer has had their sins forgiven in their entirety on believing: So any further act of sinfulness on the believers part, is confessed, in acknowledgement of that fact; in gratitude to the One Who saved them by His grace. Unlike Acts 2:38, that you refer to, which is an initial act of repentance, leading to salvation.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Back
Top Bottom