The Definition of Grace

@TibiasDad :

The only thing unmerited about God’s grace is why, when and how it is given to us, but not what it is. Grace itself is not unmerited favor, Scripture defines grace as the divine power of God.

Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

Acts 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

2 Peter 1:2-4 2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

1 Peter 1: 13 Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; 15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.” (No one can be holy except by the power of God.)

Acts 1:8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Acts 4:33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all.

Acts 11:23 When he came and had seen the grace of God, he was glad, and encouraged them all that with purpose of heart they should continue with the Lord.

Acts 13:43 Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.

Acts 14:3 Therefore they stayed there a long time, speaking boldly in the Lord, who was bearing witness to the word of His grace, granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands.

2 Corinthians 12:9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Corinthians 8:1-4 Moreover, brethren, we make known to you the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia: 2 that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded in the riches of their liberality. 3 For I bear witness that according to their ability, yes, and beyond their ability, they were freely willing, 4 imploring us with much urgency that we would receive the gift and the fellowship of the ministering to the saints. 5 And not only as we had hoped, but they first gave themselves to the Lord, and then to us by the will of God. 6 So we urged Titus, that as he had begun, so he would also complete this grace in you as well. 7 But as you abound in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all diligence, and in your love for us—see that you abound in this grace also.

Ephesians 1:19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power

Ephesians 3:7 …of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power.

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might

Galatians 1:6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,

Philippians 1:7 just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace.

Romans 15:13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:19 19 in mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God, so that from Jerusalem and round about to Illyricum I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

1 Corinthians 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not in word but in power.

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

1 Corinthians 5:4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.

1 Thessalonians 1:5 For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake.

2 Timothy 1:7-9 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began,

1 Peter 1:5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 5:10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.

2 Peter 3:18 ..but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ…

2 Corinthians 9:13-15 while, through the proof of this ministry, they glorify God for the obedience of your confession to the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal sharing with them and all men, 14 and by their prayer for you, who long for you because of the exceeding grace of God in you. 15 Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!

Galatians 2:19-21 For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”

2 Timothy 2:1 You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
Why can’t it be both?

Doug

Why do you ignore this?

"be ye reconciled to God"

Salvation is not complete until this is fait accompli
I haven't ignored it, in fact I dealt with that in detail with you already, if it wasnt you it was somebody in this discussion. And Salvation isnt ever complete in experience that is until the elect are finally glorified and experience the changing of their vile bodies liken unto His Glorious One.

Who put "unmerited" in front of "favor"?

John 1:
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Thayers Greek Lexicon below lists several different meanings one if which is unmerited favor that we do not deserve

Moreover, the word χάρις contains the idea of kindness which bestows upon one what he has not deserved: Romans 11:6; hence, κατά χάριν and κατά ὀφείλημα are contrasted in Romans 4:4, 16; χάριτι and ἐξ ἔργων in Romans 11:6; κατ' ἀκλογην χάριτος, Romans 11:5; but the N. T. writers use χάρις pre-eminently of that kindness by which God bestow: favors even upon the ill-deserving, and grants to sinners the pardon of their offences, and bids them accept of eternal salvation through Christ: Romans 3:24; Romans 5:17, 20f; (); 1 Corinthians 15:10; Galatians 1:15; Galatians 2:21; Ephesians 1:6,(); f; Philippians 1:7; Colossians 1:6; 2 Thessalonians 2:16; 1 Timothy 1:14; 2 Timothy 1:9; Hebrews 2:9 (here Treg.marginal reading χωρίς); Hebrews 10:29; Hebrews 12:15; Hebrews 13:9; 1 Peter 1:10; Jude 1:4; εὑρίσκειν χάριν, Hebrews 4:16; ἡ χάρις τοῦ Θεοῦ ἡ σωτήριος, Titus 2:11; ὁ λόγος τῆς χάριτος, the message of his grace, Acts 14:3; Acts 20:32; τόεὐαγγέλιον τῆς χάριτος τοῦ Θεοῦ, Acts 20:24; it is styled 'the grace of Christ,' in that through pity for sinful men Christ left his state of blessedness with God in heaven, and voluntarily underwent the hardships and miseries of human life, and by his sufferings and death procured salvation for mankind: (Acts 15:11); 2 Corinthians 8:9; Romans 5:15; Galatians 1:6; (Titus 3:7); John 1:14, 17. χάρις is used of "the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues": 2 Corinthians 4:15; 2 Corinthians 6:1; 2 Thessalonians 1:12; οἱπεπιστευκότες διά τῆς χάριτος, Acts 18:27; ὑπό χάριν εἶναι,' to be subject to the power of grace, opposed to ὑπό νόμονεἶναι, Romans 6:14f; τῆς χάριτοςἐξεπέσατε, Galatians 5:4; προσμένειν τῇχαρη, Acts 13:43 (G L T Tr WH); ἐπιμένειν, ibid. Rec.; ἐν τῇ χάριτι (R G WHtext omit the article), prompted by grace, Colossians 3:16; the grace of God promoting the progress and blessings of the Christian religion, Acts 11:23; (prompting its possessors to benefactions, 2 Corinthians 9:14); sustaining and aiding the efforts of the men who labor for the cause of Christ, 1 Corinthians 15:10; 2 Corinthians 1:12; the favor of Christ, assisting and strengthening his followers and ministers to bear their troubles, 2 Corinthians 12:9.

3. what is due to grace;

a. the spiritual condition of one governed by the power of divine grace,what the theologians call the 'status gratiae': ἑστηκεναι ἐν τῇ χάριτι, Romans 5:2; εἰς τήν χάριν, 1 Peter 5:12; αὐξάνεινἐν χάριτι, 2 Peter 3:18; ἐνδυναμουσθαι ἐντῇ χάριτι τῇ ἐν Χριστῷ, 2 Timothy 2:1.

b. a token or proof of grace, 2 Corinthians 1:15 (A. V. benefit (WH text Trmarginal reading χαράν, which see under b.)); a gift of grace; benefaction, bounty: used of alms, 1 Corinthians 16:3; 2 Corinthians 8:6f, 19 (Sir. 3:29 (31); ; 4 Macc. 5:8; Xenophon, Ages. 4, 3f; Hier. 8, 4); πᾶσα χάρις, all earthly blessings, wealth, etc., which are due to divine goodness, 2 Corinthians 9:8; ὁ Θεόςπάσης χάριτος, the author and giver of benefits of every kind, 1 Peter 5:10. the aid or succor of divine grace: διδόναιχάριν ταπεινοῖς, 1 Peter 5:5; James 4:6; the salvation offered to Christians is called χάρις, a gift of divine grace, 1 Peter 1:10, 13; of the various blessings of Christ experienced by souls: λαβεῖν χάριν ἀντίχάριτος (see ἀντί, 2 e., p. 49{b} bottom), John 1:16; χαρι ζωῆς, the gift of grace seen in the reception of life (cf. ζωή, 2 b.), 1 Peter 3:7; capacity and ability due to the grace of God (German Gnadenausrüstung), Ephesians 4:7; πλήρης χάριτος. Acts 6:8 G L T Tr WH; πικιλη χάρις, the aggregate of the extremely diverse powers and gifts granted to Christians, 1 Peter 4:10; used of the power to undertake and administer the apostolic office: λαβεῖν χάριν καίἀποστολήν, i. e. χάριν τῆς ἀποστολῆς, Romans 1:5; τῆς χάριτος τῆς δοθείσης μοι(i. e., Paul), Romans 12:3, 6; Romans 15:15; 1 Corinthians 3:10; Galatians 2:9; Ephesians 3:2, 7; δοθείσῃ ὑμῖν, of the gifts of knowledge and utterance conferred upon Christians, 1 Corinthians 1:4; ἐδόθημοι ἡ χάρις αὕτη, followed by an infinitive, Ephesians 3:8; of the desire to give alms roused by the grace of God, 2 Corinthians 8:1.

4. thanks (for benefits, services, favors); properly: χάριτι, with thanksgiving, 1 Corinthians 10:30; χάριν ἔχειν τίνι(Latingratiam habere alicui), to be thankful to one, Luke 17:9; 1 Timothy 1:12; 2 Timothy 1:3; Hebrews 12:28 (2 Macc. 3:33, and countless times in secular authors; cf. Passow, under the word, p. 2416{a} under the end; (Liddell and Scott, under the word, II. 2); Ast, Lex. Plato, ii, p. 539f; Bleek, Brief a. d. Hebrews 2:2, p. 975); followed by ἐπί with a dative of the thing, Philemon 1:7 T editions 2 and 7, Rec.st bez (cf. p. 233a middle); χάρις τῷΘεῷ namely, ἔστω, Romans 7:25 L T TrWH text; followed by ὅτι, Romans 6:17(χάρις τοῖς θεοῖς, ὅτι etc. Xenophon, Cyril 7, 5, 72; 8, 7, 3; an. 3, 3, 14; oec. 8, 16); with a participle added to the dative (by apposition), 1 Corinthians 15:57; 2 Corinthians 2:14; 2 Corinthians 8:16; followed by ἐπί; with a dative of the thing (cf. ἐπί, B. 2 a. δ.), 2 Corinthians 9:15. equivalent to recompense, reward, Luke 6:32-34 (for which Matthew 5:46usesμισθός).

I haven't ignored it, in fact I dealt with that in detail with you already, if it wasnt you it was somebody in this discussion. And Salvation isnt ever complete in experience that is until the elect are finally glorified and experience the changing of their vile bodies liken unto His Glorious One.
Of course, you did

you assumed it was done based on

2 Corinthians 5:19 (KJV 1900) — 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

PS there is no unconditionally elect here

You are inserting your doctrine into the passage

Are you saying that we deserve God’s favor?

Doug
Adding to my post: The truth is according to John 8:32, 34-36 that Jesus takes away our sin and the gospel of grace is the gospel of power. Romans 1:16

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

There are many churches who use unmerited favor as their excuse to keep sinning. Do you believe we will always sin until we receive new bodies after we die? That God's grace covers our sins we commit?
I had to correct a Calvinist who led devotions in our Thursday morning men’s discipleship group with about 20 guys and 2 of our pastors and a couple elders in attendance yesterday.

He claimed sin is necessary for our sanctification ( as if it’s Gods will ) to which I immediately said sanctification and holiness are synonymous in the NT meaning we are set apart from sin. He was implying to opposite of Paul shall we continue in sin that grace might abound ? May it never be.

Then a few minutes later stated the OT is law and NT is grace and we are under grace. I said God is immutable and has always been full on mercy, grace and long suffering all throughout the OT and gave numerous examples.

I won’t stand for these generally accepted false notions about God, His nature and character. And the elders/pastors affirmed my comments.

I had to correct a Calvinist who led devotions in our Thursday morning men’s discipleship group with about 20 guys and 2 of our pastors and a couple elders in attendance yesterday.

He claimed sin is necessary for our sanctification ( as if it’s Gods will ) to which I immediately said sanctification and holiness are synonymous in the NT meaning we are set apart from sin. He was implying to opposite of Paul shall we continue in sin that grace might abound ? May it never be.

Then a few minutes later stated the OT is law and NT is grace and we are under grace. I said God is immutable and has always been full on mercy, grace and long suffering all throughout the OT and gave numerous examples.

I won’t stand for these generally accepted false notions about God, His nature and character. And the elders/pastors affirmed my comments.

One thing about some teaching these false doctrines in Calvinism, they love Jesus and practice righteousness, the opposite of what they teach others. LOL In the end they will see 1 Corinthians 3:14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Speaking of false doctrines, Calvinists use that verse with regards to sin, when it is actually about false doctrines.

There are many churches who use unmerited favor as their excuse to keep sinning. Do you believe we will always sin until we receive new bodies after we die? That God's grace covers our sins we commit?
Firstly, this doesn’t answer my question.

Secondly, as humans, we are always capable of sinning. As believers, we are also capable of not sinning, and thus are able to consistently continue to not sin.

All sin is within the reach of grace, but only when repented of.

Doug

Firstly, this doesn’t answer my question.

Secondly, as humans, we are always capable of sinning. As believers, we are also capable of not sinning, and thus are able to consistently continue to not sin.

All sin is within the reach of grace, but only when repented of.

Doug
How many times do we need to repent to receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit?

Of course, you did

you assumed it was done based on

2 Corinthians 5:19 (KJV 1900) — 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

PS there is no unconditionally elect here

You are inserting your doctrine into the passage
You just going in circles

Again

There is no unconditionally elect here as, God's work required a response.

Again

There is no unconditionally elect here as, God's work required a response.

* Faith is just believing that what God says He will assuredly do.

'And many other signs truly did Jesus
in the presence of His disciples,
which are not written in this book:
But these are written, that ye might believe
that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God;
and that believing ye might have life
through His name.'

(Joh 20:30-31)

Praise God!

Back
Top Bottom