Are Arminians "works" salvationists?!

In James 2:1-11, he was speaking to people who had already sinned by showing favoritism, so he was not telling them that they needed to have perfect obedience because that would have already been to late, but rather he was encouraging them to repent and to obey God's law more consistently. Self-righteousness does not involve relying on anyone else, so it is contradictory to think that we can become self-righteous by relying on what God has instructed.

It's not a sin to obey the Law, granted.

But if it comes as a gift of grace through Christ's work, and not ours, we must not put demands and obligations, nor consider it as from ourselves.

How can you tell if a good done through you, was done by Christ's grace, or done in your own efforts?

Everything we produce in our self-effort and self-reliance, is imperfect and impure.

Except, Jacob is used with other names—so it's not the same thing, is it?

It's about consistency.
I don't follow. what is your aguments. what consistency are you talking about?
Johannon being Called John
Miriaim being called Mary
Jacob being called James
All the same idea

Why aren't ALL Jacobs called James?

Hmm?
There is a Jacob in the OT. Every new Testament Jacob reference in the text is to him. Everytime he is called Jacob, these are all Hebrew references to a person they know by that name.
Otherwise James is for men whose names are in Greek

Chalk it up to tanslating from Hebrew compared to greek

In the council in Acts 15, everyone submitted to James' authority—Peter, Paul, the apostles, everyone there.

I have always felt a very strong authenticity and inspiration on James, and got some of the deepest truths from it.

Although it should be called "Jacob" and not James.
Again. Why this James?
No. Paul nor Peter submitted to that James. Prove it. They simply accepted his determination. That is not submission. That James has no authority over me. None.
Question for you? Paul misaligned that James when he referenced Peter's sin of withdrawing from the Gentile brethren when those from "James" came to spy on their liberties? Peter lived like a Gentile and pretend to be something he wasn't. Sorry to tell you that apostles sinned. Apostles made mistakes. Peter refused to evangelize Gentiles until God corrected him. How many Gentiles died with God that Peter could have won?

isn't much in the NT accepted on assumed inspiration? for instance Luke and Acts neverr claim to be inspired?
The single weakest theological subject for the average Christian is canonicity. Which is the study of the development of approved books we call "Scripture".

Did you know that the canon wasn't set until almost 400 AD? Even then, various Christian culture have recognized varying canons for over close to 2000 years. I'm not saying this to discredit anything. I am saying this because it is true. Luther knew this. That is why he said what he said. The canon was pretty much "relitigated" by the reformers. The current canon is generally referenced as the Protestant canon because of this.

I don't understand time duration? We are either justified before God or we are not. If we are, we are children.

Challenge. Make your argument without James supporting you.

You don't understand time duration?

at Time A = not justified

at Time B = not justified

at Time C = justified

at Time D = justified

etc.

I'm not sure what you're not seeing a choice between doing what is right in our eyes or trusting in God with all of our heart by doing what is right in His eyes. Refraining from having homosexual sex is an example of how someone can choose to trust God with all of their heart instead of doing what is right in their own eyes.

Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so living in obedience to it through faith in Jesus is the content of His gift of saving us from living in transgression of it. For example, honoring our parents through faith in Jesus is the way that he saves us from not honoring our parents, and refraining from having through faith in Jesus is the way that he saves us from having homosexual sex, which has nothing to do with saying that Jesus died in vain. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe in what he accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20), while returning to the lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem us from is what mean that he died in vain.

James references both Genesis 15:6 and Genesis 22. The Bible clearly speaks about multiple justification events, which is only problematic to someone if they refuse to accept the truth that we can have multiple justification events. Like justification, our salvation and sanctification also have past, present, and future aspects. Abraham believed the promise starting in Genesis 12.
1. If you can choose between good and evil, then why did Christ die? You didn't need Christ to die for you if you can choose between good and evil on your own. Please explain why Christ died. Your position doesn't logically need Christ. Which why in my view you didn't mention the choice of Christ in your response.

2. What work did Abraham do when he believed God would gift him with Isaac. You still are not answering this. Abraham couldn't help himself.

Also, like James, you misunderstand what Abraham didn't do. Abraham didn't slay his son. He said specifically that God would provide Himself a sacrifice. Which He did in Christ. Abraham foresaw the offering of Christ on Mt Moriah. Abraham literally lives the Gospel in his own life. Abraham was helpless to save his son Isaac. God didn't need Isaac.

Back
Top Bottom