Are Arminians "works" salvationists?!

I didn't call him an arminian so I didn't know why I was included lol.

Just have to LOL on this one! ... the term Arminian is virtually synonymous with a curse word in the minds of many across the board on Christian Forum sites. I needed a good laugh this morning ... some say laughter is medicine for the soul. Personally, I'm a 4-point Arminian ... so technically you can't call me an Arminian ...correct? -lol

Just have to LOL on this one! ... the term Arminian is virtually synonymous with a curse word in the minds of many across the board on Christian Forum sites. I needed a good laugh this morning ... some say laughter is medicine for the soul. Personally, I'm a 4-point Arminian ... so technically you can't call me an Arminian ...correct? -lol
Well as a former Calvinist for over 4 decades I witnessed first hand calvinists refer to arminians with many derogatory terms such as pelagian, semi pelagian, provisionists etc.....

look calvinists are all over the map as to what they are lol.

Well as a former Calvinist for over 4 decades I witnessed first hand calvinists refer to arminians with many derogatory terms such as pelagian, semi pelagian, provisionists etc.....

Yah, I'm very aware of that sad reality ... so I guess in one sense I shouldn't find it so funny ... just couldn't help myself, the entire scenario also strikes me in another sense as being ... ridiculous .....sigh.

Yah, I'm very aware of that sad reality ... so I guess in one sense I shouldn't find it so funny ... just couldn't help myself, the entire scenario also strikes me in another sense as being ... ridiculous .....sigh.
The problem is that most people on forums don't really know what Arminias believe. I remember when I was a calvinist and I would here calvinists misrepresent arminians. I would quote Jacob Arminius and set them straight. It would shut them up.

I have done the same with many calvinists when I would say what Calvin taught. I would quote him, spurgeon, bavinck, sproul etc...... And say here you go this is what Calvinism teaches.

Their evasive reply would be " I don't follow calvin, or spurgeon, sproul etc....... I follow Jesus.

My reply would be then don't call yourself a calvinists since that is what calvinism teaches. It was this daily merry go round with them. I would use Calvinist Theologians/Scholars as a hostile witness against them as calvinists all of the time. I would say don't shoot the messenger I'm just telling you what you claim to believe yet are denying. The problem for the vast majority of them is that I kew calvinism much better than they did since I taught it for decades and have a library full of their systematic threology books. :)

The I would get this when they were in a corner with no way out: " You were never a calvinist " ROFL and I knew when that one was coming as a last resort.

In fact I will go out on a limb here by saying this:

If I were to quote some things arminius said/taught and not say it was him most people would think I was quoting a calvinist . Compatibilism looks much more like the teachins of Arminius, not calvin. I call Compatibilists calvinists who cannot swallow the calvin pill and compromise the doctines taught by calvin. When they are faced with the realities of the doctrines taught by calvin they become soft calvinists/compatibilists. The real calvinist is the hyper who doesn't back away from the doctrines and stands by them without making excuses for God. :)

Here's a couple interesting questions for you civic :

Did you consider yourself a 5- point Calvinist over those 4 decades?

Do you believe that you were actually saved the entire 4 decades that you were entrenched in the false doctrines that are intrinsic to "pure" or "consistent" Calvinism? There have been many ex-Calvinists who have freely testified that they were not actually saved for many years before the "light bulb" turned on in their understanding and truly received the free gift of salvation. Many have said that they had never received the assurance of their salvation [the knowing that their sins were actually forgiven] in those years prior to their genuine regeneration and lived in a constant state of fear and uncertainty about their eternal destiny.

Here's a couple interesting questions for you civic :

Did you consider yourself a 5- point Calvinist over those 4 decades?

Do you believe that you were actually saved the entire 4 decades that you were entrenched in the false doctrines that are intrinsic to "pure" or "consistent" Calvinism? There have been many ex-Calvinists who have freely testified that they were not actually saved for many years before the "light bulb" turned on in their understanding and truly received the free gift of salvation. Many have said that they had never received the assurance of their salvation [the knowing that their sins were actually forgiven] in those years prior to their genuine regeneration and lived in a constant state of fear and uncertainty about their eternal destiny.
Yes full blown 5 pointer. Now I'm a zero pointer.

No I believe I was saved for sure. I was saved in 1980 before I knew what Calvinism/Armininism even was. Although after my conversion I went to a dutch reformed church. I also listened to John MacArthur for all those years as he was my favorite calvinist who was also premill lol. I don't thing tulip is salvific like some calvinists did. I always said modern day calvinists are much closer to Arminius teaching than they know. My study here is what led me out of calvinism. I'm still working on adding to the points and possibly turning it into a book at some point.

https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/the-nature-of-god-in-the-atonement.30/

Last edited:
Yes full blown 5 pointer. Now I'm a zero pointer.

No I believe I was saved for sure. I was saved in 1980 before I knew what Calvinism/Armininism even was. Although after my conversion I went to a dutch reformed church. I also listened to John MacArthur for all those years as he was my favorite calvinist who was also premill lol. I don't thing tulip is salvific like some calvinists did. I always said modern day calvinists are much closer to Arminius teaching than they know. My study here is what led me out of calvinism. I'm still working on adding to the points and possibly turning it into a book at some point.

https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/the-nature-of-god-in-the-atonement.30/

Thank you for sharing your testimony, I always find them fascinating.

You said, "I don't thing tulip is salvific like some calvinists did."

Well, it does not necessarily have to be the case, but apparently, sometimes it is.

Agreed, many [or perhaps most] "modern day calvinists are much closer to Arminius teaching than they know."

Wow - good job, go for it my friend! It sure looks like you already put countless hours in towards the completion of a book ... perhaps you'll be able to have it published before the Rapture takes place ... that Blessed event is surely right at the door!

Thank you for sharing your testimony, I always find them fascinating.

You said, "I don't thing tulip is salvific like some calvinists did."

Well, it does not necessarily have to be the case, but apparently, sometimes it is.

Agreed, many [or perhaps most] "modern day calvinists are much closer to Arminius teaching than they know."

Wow - good job, go for it my friend! It sure looks like you already put countless hours in towards the completion of a book ... perhaps you'll be able to have it published before the Rapture takes place ... that Blessed event is surely right at the door!
Yes it sure seems we are right at the door . That’s another problem I have with reformed theology - Israel and the church and eschatology. The same with their covenant theology. :)

Yes arminians promotes salvation by works, by their actions, doings, so they deny Salvation by Grace altogether. As fars as Paul and James are concerned, they speak the same thing, difference in emphasis, Pauls emphasis is mostly from the legal standpoint of having been legally Justified before God and Heaven solely on the basis of the Grace of God in and through the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus Christ, but James is speaking about the Spiritual witness of the Christians life after conversion, and that moreson amongst True Believers who understand legal Justification by the blood of Christ.

Good works have no profit in the world of the reprobate unbelievers.

Back
Top Bottom