One God in Three Persons

Unmerited

The names of God reveal attributes of His nature. God has a long-established habit of using various names to describe a person’s character. Jacob earned his name that means “swindler” when he practiced deception to steal his father’s blessing away from his brother Esau (Genesis 27:35, 36). At his conversion, Jacob wrestled with the angel and insisted on the blessing of God. Then his name was changed to “Israel,” which means “a prince with God” (Genesis 32:26–28).

Likewise, the names for God found in Genesis and elsewhere tell us volumes about our Creator. “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness” (Genesis 1:26). The Hebrew word here for God is Elohim. It is a plural noun that is used more than 2,700 times in the Old Testament. This means that inspired authors preferred to use Elohim about 10 times more than the singular form “El” when they described God. Even in the Old Testament book of Daniel, we see a picture of the Father and the Son as two separate persons. “I was watching in the night visions, And behold, One like the Son of Man, Coming with the clouds of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, And they brought Him near before Him” (Daniel 7:13). The Son of man, Jesus, is seen coming before the Ancient of Days—who is, obviously, God the Father.

The New Testament writings are sprinkled with this concept of one God with three united, fully divine persons. The apostle Paul wrote that there were three divine persons: “There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all” (Ephesians 4:4–6).

Paul frequently referred to the three separate persons of the Godhead. “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all” (2 Corinthians 13:14). “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?” (Hebrews 9:14).

Revelation opens by introducing the three persons of the Godhead. “From the seven Spirits who are before His throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever” (Revelation 1:4–6 NKJV).

In addition, we clearly see three distinct persons at the baptism of Jesus. “And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” (Matthew 3:16, 17).

If Jesus is the only person in the Godhead, where did the voice come from that declared, “This is my beloved Son”? Did He trisect Himself into a voice from heaven, the dove wafting down through the sky, and His body on the bank of the river? No. This was not simply a clever act of holy smoke and mirrors, but rather a regal reunion revealing the truth of the trinity. And on top of this, it is through the shared authority of these three persons that we are commissioned to baptize. “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” (Matthew 28:19).

Doug Batchelor, The Trinity

Doug Batchelor.... are you SDA?
I'm not Seventh-day Adventist. Although I have had a few positive dealings with them. They actually helped me out quite a bit one time. And I had no idea Doug Was one. His website sure doesn't mention it. But at any rate that's his trip whatever denomination he wants to identify with.

Last edited:
Doug Batchelor.... are you SDA?
Same here, I'm not SDA and really don't have a clue what their religious beliefs are. I think they do the Pentecostal slain in the spirit and speaking in tongues. And go to church on Saturday instead of Sunday. But since you've stirred my interest I'll have to look it up being as I'm on the information highway.

Some of their 28 fundamental beliefs of SDA seem a little peculiar. Take number 6 for example. That death is an unconscious state. I Can't Go for that, sounds somewhat like Purgatory. I like what 2 Corinthians 5:8 says "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord."

Hi Doug @Unmerited

Consider that jacob was actually
winning back for God the birthright,
and foreshadowing by that our restoration
to our birthright at the Change
when we meet Christ on the clouds....

the birthright which esau who
God Hates, had already stolen
after the fall....

Last edited:
Some of their 28 fundamental beliefs of SDA seem a little peculiar. Take number 6 for example. That death is an unconscious state. I Can't Go for that, sounds somewhat like Purgatory. I like what 2 Corinthians 5:8 says "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord."
It makes sense to me that until eden paradise is restored soon (new earth in the other world) many sweet souls could be resting in Him... ❤️

It makes sense to me that until eden paradise is restored soon (new earth in the other world) many sweet souls could be resting in Him... ❤️
I've never thought of it that way but actually that's very interesting. I was thinking Somewhat along those lines the other day. That gives me a whole new meaning to "In Christ". Jesus even said to abide in him.

I've never thought of it that way but actually that's very interesting. I was thinking Somewhat along those lines the other day. That gives me a whole new meaning to "In Christ". Jesus even said to abide in him.

You have to say Jesus literally lied to us in the rich man and Lazarus.

People try to use the "parables can't be taken literally" argument, but the point of a parable was always to teach something.

And we are to say, Jesus used a parable that taught the opposite of what he meant to teach?

It's bonkers—no annihilationism and no soul sleep (SDA doctrine).

You have to say Jesus literally lied to us in the rich man and Lazarus.

People try to use the "parables can't be taken literally" argument, but the point of a parable was always to teach something.

And we are to say, Jesus used a parable that taught the opposite of what he meant to teach?

It's bonkers—no annihilationism and no soul sleep (SDA doctrine).
No I wasn't thinking along those lines when Eve mentioned resting in him. I was thinking we would be Conscious and more part a of Jesus. The Bible does say that "Beloved, now we are the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be; but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is."1 John 3:2 I know it says "when he shall appear" and that must be when he returns but I'm wondering if it works both ways. When we're absent from the body and present with the Lord will we be like him? Now the question is, What is being like him like?

But we all, with uncovered face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image, from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 CORINTHIANS 3:18

❤️💕

Yes it does....

No I wasn't thinking along those lines when Eve mentioned resting in him. I was thinking we would be Conscious and more part a of Jesus. The Bible does say that "Beloved, now we are the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be; but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is."1 John 3:2 I know it says "when he shall appear" and that must be when he returns but I'm wondering if it works both ways. When we're absent from the body and present with the Lord will we be like him? Now the question is, What is being like him like?

But we all, with uncovered face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image, from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 CORINTHIANS 3:18
We will be restored to our original glorified body lost at the fall because of adam's treachery...

I've heard some say that Jesus did all His miracles just like the apostles did miracles - through faith in God, so it was really God doing the supernatural things. No, I don't think so. The apostles did miracles because #1 - Jesus gave them the power and authority to do them and #2 - Jesus commanded them to do miracles when He sent them out. Have you noticed that Jesus never prayed for a miracle to happen? He just commanded or spoke - and they happened. This is another testimony that He is God.

How about the transfiguration? Luke 9:28-36 Eight days before, Jesus predicted that some of them (this turned out to be Peter, James, and John, by Jesus' own direction in verse 28) would not die before they had seen the Kingdom of God. Jesus' garments and face became exceeding white and bright like the sun! Then Moses and Elijah appeared, also in bright splendor!

If Jesus was not God, then how could all of this have happened? Did He just exercise His faith in God to make it all happen? Could the apostles have done anything like this, using their faith? Could they, by faith, make their face and their clothes shine like the sun? Could they, by faith, cause Moses and Elijah to appear to them? Could they, by faith, convince the Father to speak to them from heaven? Could they have predicted an event like this 8 days before it happened? I don't think so. This requires that Jesus had "inside information" and constant "communication" or "access" to and union with the Father. He was God indeed!

I've heard some say that Jesus did all His miracles just like the apostles did miracles - through faith in God, so it was really God doing the supernatural things. No, I don't think so. The apostles did miracles because #1 - Jesus gave them the power and authority to do them and #2 - Jesus commanded them to do miracles when He sent them out. Have you noticed that Jesus never prayed for a miracle to happen? He just commanded or spoke - and they happened. This is another testimony that He is God.

How about the transfiguration? Luke 9:28-36 Eight days before, Jesus predicted that some of them (this turned out to be Peter, James, and John, by Jesus' own direction in verse 28) would not die before they had seen the Kingdom of God. Jesus' garments and face became exceeding white and bright like the sun! Then Moses and Elijah appeared, also in bright splendor!

If Jesus was not God, then how could all of this have happened? Did He just exercise His faith in God to make it all happen? Could the apostles have done anything like this, using their faith? Could they, by faith, make their face and their clothes shine like the sun? Could they, by faith, cause Moses and Elijah to appear to them? Could they, by faith, convince the Father to speak to them from heaven? Could they have predicted an event like this 8 days before it happened? I don't think so. This requires that Jesus had "inside information" and constant "communication" or "access" to and union with the Father. He was God indeed!
Jesus was nothing like the Apostles since He was God and they were not that is the first problem for those who think they were the same. And your 2 points above are spot on !!!

The names of God reveal attributes of His nature. God has a long-established habit of using various names to describe a person’s character. Jacob earned his name that means “swindler” when he practiced deception to steal his father’s blessing away from his brother Esau (Genesis 27:35, 36). At his conversion, Jacob wrestled with the angel and insisted on the blessing of God. Then his name was changed to “Israel,” which means “a prince with God” (Genesis 32:26–28).

Likewise, the names for God found in Genesis and elsewhere tell us volumes about our Creator. “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness” (Genesis 1:26). The Hebrew word here for God is Elohim. It is a plural noun that is used more than 2,700 times in the Old Testament. This means that inspired authors preferred to use Elohim about 10 times more than the singular form “El” when they described God. Even in the Old Testament book of Daniel, we see a picture of the Father and the Son as two separate persons. “I was watching in the night visions, And behold, One like the Son of Man, Coming with the clouds of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, And they brought Him near before Him” (Daniel 7:13). The Son of man, Jesus, is seen coming before the Ancient of Days—who is, obviously, God the Father.

The New Testament writings are sprinkled with this concept of one God with three united, fully divine persons. The apostle Paul wrote that there were three divine persons: “There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all” (Ephesians 4:4–6).

Paul frequently referred to the three separate persons of the Godhead. “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all” (2 Corinthians 13:14). “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?” (Hebrews 9:14).

Revelation opens by introducing the three persons of the Godhead. “From the seven Spirits who are before His throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever” (Revelation 1:4–6 NKJV).

In addition, we clearly see three distinct persons at the baptism of Jesus. “And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” (Matthew 3:16, 17).

If Jesus is the only person in the Godhead, where did the voice come from that declared, “This is my beloved Son”? Did He trisect Himself into a voice from heaven, the dove wafting down through the sky, and His body on the bank of the river? No. This was not simply a clever act of holy smoke and mirrors, but rather a regal reunion revealing the truth of the trinity. And on top of this, it is through the shared authority of these three persons that we are commissioned to baptize. “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” (Matthew 28:19).

Doug Batchelor, The Trinity

Oh well-guess no one is interested.
J.

Last edited:

He doesn't have to be God. This verse explains...

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth."

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth."
I believe that the Greek word is more accurately rendered "authority". So could you explain why the Father would give Jesus the same exact authority that He Himself has? If He was not God, then we have the Father sharing ALL of His authority in heaven and on earth with someone who is not God. Do you actually believe that God would set up someone who is not God, to worship and idolize besides Himself? Did you forget the 1st and 2nd of the 10 commandments?

Scripture does not teach that Christ came into existence at his birth or that he was a created being, as some errantly teach. He always existed. Many Scriptures teach this: Micah 5:2 says, “As for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, seemingly insignificant among the clans of Judah— from you a king will emerge who will rule over Israel on my behalf, one whose origins are in the distant past.” Micah predicted that the messiah would be born in Bethlehem and that he would be the future king of Israel. However, Micah says that he had existed from “the distant past” or “ancient times” (NIV). Isaiah 9:6 says, “For a child has been born to us, a son has been given to us. He shoulders responsibility and is called: Extraordinary Strategist, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah predicted that a child would be born who would be called “Everlasting Father,” which means that this person, though born in time, had existed forever. In fact, Jesus said something similar about himself in John 8:58, which caused him to be mocked. He said, “… I tell you the solemn truth, before Abraham came into existence, I am!” When Christ said this, it was not just a reference to his preexistence, but also his deity. When God introduced himself to Israel during their slavery in Egypt, he introduced himself by the name “I Am” (Ex 3:14) and so did Christ. Christ has always existed, since he is God.

Christ’s Deity
As mentioned, not only has Christ always existed, he has eternally existed as God. This is the central aspect of Christ’s person, which many have questioned, struggled with, and denied. Certainly, his deity and eternality are hard to fathom. Yet, this is exactly what Scripture teaches. The author of Hebrews gives God the Father’s testimony about his Son in Hebrews 1:8, saying, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, and a righteous scepter is the scepter of your kingdom.” In the context, the author of Hebrews argues for the greatness of Christ by comparing him to angels. He does this by quoting God’s words about the Son in Psalm 45:6. God the Father calls the Son, “God,” which God never said about an angel.

In addition, John 1:1-3 says,

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God. The Word was with God in the beginning. All things were created by him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created.

John gives Jesus the title, “the Word,” which means that Christ is the communication of God—the way we get to know more about God and his will. Then John says that “the Word” was “with God,” “was fully God,” and also that the Word created all things. This is a clear declaration of Christ’s deity.

Paul makes the same declaration about Christ in Colossians 1:15-16:

Back
Top Bottom