Re-Examining The Great I Am

Wrangler

One of the great myths of the 4th century manmade deification of Jesus is to claim he made a parallel statement as God to Moses. This thread explodes that myth. The question of who God is must be looked at from the perspective of Is 45:5 and 1 COR 8:6
Is 45:5 (REV) I am Yahweh, and there is none else. Besides me, there is no God.

God's name is explicitly YHWH and note his use of singular pronouns? Singular denotes one and not 3-in-1. This is consistent with 1 COR 8:6, there is only one God, the Father. This logically means there is no trinitarian God, no God the Son, no God the Holy Spirit, no 3-in-1 God.

P1. YHWH is the only God (who we relate to as father).
P2. Jesus is not YHWH.
C. Jesus is not God

From this perspective, let's examine the great I am statements.The VOICE translation renders the eternal name YHWH to honor God's defining attribute he revealed in Ex 3:14.
Eternal One: 14 I AM WHO I AM.[a] This is what you should tell the people of Israel: “I AM has sent me to rescue you.”
Read full chapter
Footnotes
3:14 “Eternal One” is derived from the Hebrew word meaning, “I am.”

The significance of this is the fact that other gods in the near East were born and died. So, to say that an eternal God sent you is to set you apart from the rest. How this rendering of the divine name plays out is clear in Ps 110:1. The Eternal said to my lord. "The Eternal" is not our lord but stated in contrast to our lord and our lord''s nature. Jesus never said he was eternal as God did. What Jesus said was:
Jesus: 58 I tell you the truth; I AM before Abraham was born.

So, he existed before Abraham. This is not a claim of existing eternally, only of being older than the time Abraham was born. Plain and simple.

To put a finer point on it, some believe one's existence begins when God conceives the thought of you and not when you were born.
Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed you in the womb I knew you

There is that word again, "before."
  1. How could God know us before we existed?
  2. If God knew us before we were formed in the womb, could God know Jesus this way also? (And in this way, Jesus preceded Abraham's birth).
  3. In what way did God know us before we existed/formed in the womb?
  4. Perhaps our existence pre-dates being formed in the womb?
The Bible is silent on these questions. However, Jesus sidesteps any of this confusion by anchoring the time frame of his existence "before Abraham was born" and not when God knew Abraham before God even formed him in the womb. Jesus is not even claiming to exist eternally before Abraham's birth. That's a critical point of reading comprehension.

I submit Jesus does make a great "I am" statement but it is not in reference to Abraham.
Mark 14:61-62
High Priest: Are You God’s Anointed, the Liberating King, the Son of the Blessed One?
Jesus: 62 I am.

For confessing to being the Messiah, the Christ, God's Anointed One is the reason he was killed, which led to saving all mankind; Jesus great "I am" statement. Jesus was born and died. Both prove he is not eternal and this aligns with the Biblical text. We should stop pretending Jesus is eternal or ever even claimed to be. Better to resist the doctrinally driven eisegesis to interpret Scripture beyond what it actually says.

One of the great myths of the 4th century manmade deification of Jesus is to claim he made a parallel statement as God to Moses. This thread explodes that myth. The question of who God is must be looked at from the perspective of Is 45:5 and 1 COR 8:6
Is 45:5 (REV) I am Yahweh, and there is none else. Besides me, there is no God.

God's name is explicitly YHWH and note his use of singular pronouns? Singular denotes one and not 3-in-1. This is consistent with 1 COR 8:6, there is only one God, the Father. This logically means there is no trinitarian God, no God the Son, no God the Holy Spirit, no 3-in-1 God.

P1. YHWH is the only God (who we relate to as father).
P2. Jesus is not YHWH.
C. Jesus is not God

From this perspective, let's examine the great I am statements.The VOICE translation renders the eternal name YHWH to honor God's defining attribute he revealed in Ex 3:14.
Eternal One: 14 I AM WHO I AM.[a] This is what you should tell the people of Israel: “I AM has sent me to rescue you.”
Read full chapter
Footnotes
3:14 “Eternal One” is derived from the Hebrew word meaning, “I am.”

The significance of this is the fact that other gods in the near East were born and died. So, to say that an eternal God sent you is to set you apart from the rest. How this rendering of the divine name plays out is clear in Ps 110:1. The Eternal said to my lord. "The Eternal" is not our lord but stated in contrast to our lord and our lord''s nature. Jesus never said he was eternal as God did. What Jesus said was:
Jesus: 58 I tell you the truth; I AM before Abraham was born.

So, he existed before Abraham. This is not a claim of existing eternally, only of being older than the time Abraham was born. Plain and simple.

To put a finer point on it, some believe one's existence begins when God conceives the thought of you and not when you were born.
Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed you in the womb I knew you

There is that word again, "before."
  1. How could God know us before we existed?
  2. If God knew us before we were formed in the womb, could God know Jesus this way also? (And in this way, Jesus preceded Abraham's birth).
  3. In what way did God know us before we existed/formed in the womb?
  4. Perhaps our existence pre-dates being formed in the womb?
The Bible is silent on these questions. However, Jesus sidesteps any of this confusion by anchoring the time frame of his existence "before Abraham was born" and not when God knew Abraham before God even formed him in the womb. Jesus is not even claiming to exist eternally before Abraham's birth. That's a critical point of reading comprehension.

I submit Jesus does make a great "I am" statement but it is not in reference to Abraham.
Mark 14:61-62
High Priest: Are You God’s Anointed, the Liberating King, the Son of the Blessed One?
Jesus: 62 I am.

For confessing to being the Messiah, the Christ, God's Anointed One is the reason he was killed, which led to saving all mankind; Jesus great "I am" statement. Jesus was born and died. Both prove he is not eternal and this aligns with the Biblical text. We should stop pretending Jesus is eternal or ever even claimed to be. Better to resist the doctrinally driven eisegesis to interpret Scripture beyond what it actually says.
“Who, being in very nature God”… “did not think being equal with God as something to be held onto, but emptied himself and took the nature of a servant being made in human likeness.”

As God, he was worthy of worship and of exercising ultimate authority over us, but rather he emptied himself of that right, and instead, became a servant to those he once ruled over.

If making a theological claim, I would suggest not appealing to the Voice translation as your proof. It is about as far from a “dynamic translation” as one could get, and covers over its muddled phrasing by casting the net of “the original recipients would have understood it this way”! Nothing could be further from the truth! The translators have not given us what the scriptures say, but rather what they want the scriptures to say.

Doug

“Who, being in very nature God”… “did not think being equal with God as something to be held onto, but emptied himself and took the nature of a servant being made in human likeness.”
All you can do is:
  1. sweep aside every verse presented that undermines your doctrine.
  2. Put up only more ambiguous verses that you claim supports it

Notice how this is not quite, "Jesus is God?" Relying on a bad translation, methinks.

All you can do is:
  1. sweep aside every verse presented that undermines your doctrine.
  2. Put up only more ambiguous verses that you claim supports it

Notice how this is not quite, "Jesus is God?" Relying on a bad translation, methinks.
The fact that he is “in very nature God” and the “image of the invisible God” (not to mention that “he is before all things” and “created all things” which can only mean he is the eternal creator) invalidates all attempts by means of other interpretations of scripture. You cannot hold supremacy over all things, be the creator of all things, and be the preeminent one over all things and not be God.

Doug

The fact that he is “in very nature God” and the “image of the invisible God” (not to mention that “he is before all things” and “created all things” which can only mean he is the eternal creator) invalidates all attempts by means of other interpretations of scripture.
Except you are relying on a bad interpretation as fact + ignoring being in the image precisely means HE IS NOT GOD for that is not how language is used.

We only say a snake is the image of a venomous snake when it is NOT a venomous snake. Otherwise, we’d simply say he is a venomous snake

Except you are relying on a bad interpretation as fact + ignoring being in the image precisely means HE IS NOT GOD for that is not how language is used.
It is the Greek interpretation and that is not how language is used; not in Greek or in English. And I note that you are loud on accusations and silent on academic proofs of my alleged errors or the validity of your interpretations, whatever they may be besides unstated!

We only say a snake is the image of a venomous snake when it is NOT a venomous snake. Otherwise, we’d simply say he is a venomous snake
Nobody ever says it’s the image of a venomous snake without it being like a venomous snake in whatever details mark the likeness.

First, you have to know something about the thing to which one is being compared. Then the observer has to see the same characteristics in the person/object that he notes in the original person/object or else there is no reason to compare them. To say that snake B is the visible image of non-visible snake A, is to make an affirmation of positive identification marks of likeness, not dissimilarities.

And what were the points of similarity? Both are said to be creator, both are said to be together prior to all things and the beginning, that is eternal in nature, and both are supreme over all authorities.

Since God is the creator of the heavens and the earth, and since God is the only thing to exist before the beginning of creation, then “the Word was God” as John says in agreement with Paul!

Doug

It is the Greek interpretation and that is not how language is used
It most certainly is how language is used. The Bible says 'YHWH is God' and does not say 'Jesus is God' and the obvious reason is because one is God and the other is not. This is the entire reason why you have to invoke all kinds of other things said about Jesus to rationalize eisegesis, that it means what your doctrine claims while ALSO denying what it actually says about him, a man who died and is the son of God.

OF God. Is God. Not the same thing.

This explains why Jesus said true worshippers worship the Father, who is the only true God. That's good enough for me. And I find it funny that you are unable to stick to the verses cited in the OP and hijack the thread with verses you prefer having nothing to do with an analysis of the claims of being, I am and what it means and what it meant.

OF God. Is God. Not the same thing.
“Who, being in very nature”, that is the primary essence of being/existence, “God”!

Thayer, a Unitarian, is honest enough a scholar to admit, “who, although (formerly when he was λόγος ἄσαρκος) "he bore the form (in which he appeared to the inhabitants of heaven) of God (the sovereign, opposed to μορφή δούλου), yet did not think that this equality with God was to be eagerly clung to or retained (see ἁρπαγμός, 2), but emptied himself of it (see κενόω, 1) so as to assume the form of a servant, in that he became like unto men…”

He abandoned his rightful place and honor as Sovereign to assume the rights and place of a servant. These descriptions, Sovereign vs servant, are essential qualitative expressions of his core character of being. Though equal to God, he assumed the place of a servant, and humbled himself, even to death on the cross.

The Logos is of the nature of God just as we are of the nature of our fathers; we are by nature, human, he is by nature God!

And Jesus claimed to be the I Am, for which the Jews sought to stone him! (John 8:58-ff) Thus, Paul says that Jesus’s name is “above every other name”, and that name is necessarily Yahweh!

Doug

“Who, being in very nature”, that is the primary essence of being/existence, “God”!
Nice rationalization. But still not God. Does it make sense to you that God has a God?

Jesus has a God. That's how I know he's not God.
Jesus died. That's how I know he's not God.
Jesus is not the name of God. YHWH is the name of God. That's how I know he's not God.

The bible is clear and the NT writers under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit declare Christ is Yahweh of the OT.
At least 26 vss. support that.

Here are twenty six (26) passages from the O.T. which refer to יהוה/YHWH, paired with verses in the N.T. which identify Jesus as יהוה/YHWH

[1] Isa 40:3 ¶ The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD [יהוה], make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

N.T. reference.
Matt 3:3
For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. [Mk 1:3, Lk 3:4, John 1:23]

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
[2] Ps 8:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm of David.>> O LORD [יהוה] our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.

N.T. reference.
Matt 21:15
And when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David; they were sore displeased,
16 And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?

[3] Ps 68:18 You have ascended on high; you have carried away captives; you have taken gifts in the form of men, Yes, even the stubborn ones, to reside among them, O Jah God." ("Jah" is an abbreviated form of the name Jehovah.)

N.T. reference.
Eph 4:7-10
: "Now to each one of us undeserved kindness was given according to how the Christ measured out the free gift. Wherefore he says: 'When he ascended on high he carried away captives; he gave gifts in men.' Now the expression 'he ascended,' what does it mean but that he also descended into the lower regions, that is, the earth? The very one that descended is also the one that ascended far above all the heavens, that he might give fulness to all things."

[4] Mal 3:1 ¶ Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD [יהוה ] of hosts.

N.T. reference.
Luk 1:76 And thou, child, [John] shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord [Jesus] to prepare his ways;

[5] Isa 10:33 Behold, the Lord, the LORD [יהוה] of hosts, shall lop the bough with terror: and the high ones of stature shall be hewn down, and the haughty shall be humbled.

N.T. reference.
Rom 9:28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

[6] Isa 49:23 And kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing mothers: they shall bow down to thee with their face toward the earth, and lick up the dust of thy feet; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD [יהוה]: for they shall not be ashamed that wait for me.

N.T. reference.
Rom 10:11
For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him [the Lord Jesus vs. 9] shall not be ashamed.

1 Pet 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

[7] Joel 2:32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD [יהוה] shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD [יהוה] hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD [יהוה] shall call.

N.T. reference.
Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord [Jesus vs. 9] shall be saved.

[8] Isa 45:23 I [יהוה vs. 21, 24] have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

N.T. reference.
Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, [Christ, vs. 10] every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Philip 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

[9] Jer 9:24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD [יהוה] which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth:for in these things I delight, saith the LORD [יהוה] .

N.T. reference.
1 Cor 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. [Christ, vs. 30]

[10] Num 16:5 And he spake unto Korah and unto all his company, saying, Even to morrow the LORD [יהוה] will shew who are his, and who is holy; and will cause him to come near unto him: even him whom he hath chosen will he cause to come near unto him.

N.T. reference.
2 Tim 2:19 ¶ Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

[11] Ps 130:8 And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

N.T. reference.
Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
[12] Ps 97:7 Confounded be all they that serve graven images, that boast themselves of idols: worship him, all ye gods.

N.T. reference.
Heb 1:6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

[13] Ps 45:6 ¶ Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre.

N.T. reference.
Heb 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

[14] Ps 102:25 Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands.
26 They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed:
27 But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end

[15] Isa 51:6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation [ישׁועה] /Yeshuah] shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.

N.T. reference.
Heb 1:10
And, Thou, Lord, [[Jesus/ישׁוע] /Yeshua, vss. 2, 5, 8, 9] in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.
[16] Ps 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD [יהוה] is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

N.T. reference.
1 Pet 2:3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
[17] Isa 8:13 Sanctify the LORD [יהוה] of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.

N.T. reference.
1 Pet 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: [Christ, vs. 16]

[18] Zech 12:10 And I [יהוה] will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me [יהוה] whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

N.T. reference.
Rev 1:7
Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

[19] Jer 17:10 I the LORD [יהוה] search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

N.T. reference.
Rev 2:23
And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
[20] Ps 62:12 Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

[21] Isa 40:10 Behold, the Lord GOD [יהוה] will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.

[22]Isa 41:4 Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, [יהוה] the first, and with the last; I am he.

[23]Isa 44:6 Thus saith the LORD [יהוה] the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD [יהוה] of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

[24]Isa 48:12 Hearken unto me [יהוה] O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.

[25] Isa 62:11 Behold, the LORD [יהוה] hath proclaimed unto the end of the world, Say ye to the daughter of Zion, Behold, thy salvation [ישועה/Yeshuah] cometh; behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.

N.T. reference.
Rev 22:12
And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, (Isa 40:10, 62:11), to give every man according as his work (Ps 62:12, 34:8) shall be.
13 I [Jesus/ישוע/Yeshua] am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. (Isa 41:4, 44:6, 48:12)
[26] Isa 6:1 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. . .
10 Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

N.T. reference.
Joh 12:39
Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them. (Is 6:10)
41 These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him. (Isa 6:1)

Nice rationalization. But still not God. Does it make sense to you that God has a God?

Jesus has a God. That's how I know he's not God.
Jesus died. That's how I know he's not God.
Jesus is not the name of God. YHWH is the name of God. That's how I know he's not God.
My argument is based on lexical evidence, which you have not refuted nor rebutted in a similar fashion. Even Thayer, who would be inclined to believe as you do, is honest enough to admit the fact that Paul is stating the Logos’ equality with God.

It is your argument that expresses the concept of rationalization, @Wrangler, and is an example of a false dichotomy; for 1) Jesus speaks this as a human perspective, not a purely divine, and 2) this means that it is a logical potential that Jesus, the God/man, would have a God to whom he, and a man, is subject, even while being “in nature God”. It is not an either or scenario.

Doug

My argument is based on lexical evidence
There is no evidence in Scripture for your doctrine. There is no trinity verse. There is no Jesus is God verse.

This is why you entirelyrely on eisegesis and ignore explicit Scripture destroying your doctrine. See 1C. Just ignore the fact that God's name is YHWH not Jesus. Just ignore the fact that Jesus has a God. Just ignore the fact that Scripture calls Jesus a man who died.

Last edited:
There is no evidence in Scripture for your doctrine. There is no trinity verse. There is no Jesus is God verse.

This is why you entirelyrely on eisegesis and ignore explicit Scripture destroying your doctrine. See 1C. Just ignore the fact that God's name is YHWH not Jesus. Just ignore the fact that Jesus has a God. Just ignore the fact that Scripture calls Jesus a man who died.
So you have no lexical argument to counter my point? Then your position is merely philosophical.

The man Jesus died, and Jesus as God raised the body of the man Jesus from the dead. “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up!”

Doug

So you have no lexical argument to counter my point? Then your position is merely philosophical.
LOL Projecting. All the Scripture is on my side. No Scripture is on your side.

There is one God, the Father.

There is no verse that says otherwise.

It is amazing how confident trinitarians write with not one single verse in Scripture stating the trinity.

LOL Projecting. All the Scripture is on my side. No Scripture is on your side.

There is one God, the Father.

There is no verse that says otherwise.

It is amazing how confident trinitarians write with not one single verse in Scripture stating the trinity.
And yet you haven’t had one iota of lexical or exegetical evidence that demonstrates your argument. Care to exegete 1Cor 8:6 in its entirety? The first part of the verse, which you highlight, is not free from the truths in the rest of the verse. And the rest of the verse defines the meaning of the first.

Non-Trins are famous for saying that an explicit statement, such as “Jesus is God”, or the term “Trinity”, but this is merely moving the goalposts of the issue. All three persons of the Godhead are called God in Scripture, so the absence of a particular phrasing's or word is a tact of a weak or desperate state of argument. Proper exegesis is the only way to discern the message and meaning of scripture. An argument based on what is not there is a flawed argument; for we are only interested in what is there- what is actually written, not what isn’t written!

Doug

And yet you haven’t had one iota of lexical or exegetical evidence that demonstrates your argument.
Untrue. It is you who has no evidence whatsoever. All you can do is sweep aside verses that destroy your manmade doctrine and push forth eisegesis.

Non-Trins are famous for saying that an explicit statement, such as “Jesus is God”, or the term “Trinity”, but this is merely moving the goalposts of the issue.
Not at all. The goal post is what is the revealed word in Scripture. There is only one God, YHWH, Jesus' God, who we relate to as Father.

This is stated over and over and over again in Scripture.

Back
Top Bottom