An Article on free will

Speaking these Words, is that men will hear Him, "yield themselves" servants to obey HIM, submit themselves to Him, and cast away their transgressions, as per His stated Will. His Will,......
So what an extremely strange thing Calvinism is. So here you have God saying for them to do the above but a Calvinist will say the truth of the matter is God didn't really want them to. I can't imagine any brand of teaching one should know to stay away from other then this.

Sorry it is you who are deceived. You do not have a single verse which actually states men are sdaved unconditionally. You assume Christ choice of his disciples proves God saves men unconditionally

Considering the post to which you replied, you blindly deceive about Christ's doctrine being that man's salvation is entirely conditional upon God's choosing since Christ says "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) and "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation). (John 15:16-19); therefore, YOU DEPLORABLY DELIBERATELY DISREGARD AND MISREPRESENT IN A VERY PUBLIC FORUM with your "your belief in unconditional election to salvation".

continued to post #1,465

Last edited:
continued from post #1,464

Ignoring the fact God saves those who believe

1 Corinthians 1:21 (NASB 2020) — 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

God justifies those who believe

Galatians 2:16 (NASB 2020) — 16 nevertheless, knowing that a person is not justified by works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the Law; since by works of the Law no flesh will be justified.

All heavenly blessings are in Christ

Ephesians 1:3 (NASB 2020) — 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,

The Christ of us Christians lovingly declares "This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29), so, in effect, Christ says "You believing in Him whom He has sent" "is the work of God" (John 6:29); therefore, man does not work faith/belief inside of man thus causing man to believe in Lord Jesus, but God does work faith/belief inside of man thus causing man to believe in Lord Jesus (John 6:28-29).

The people asked Jesus "What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God" (John 6:28), essentially "How does the works of man work the works of God".

Lord Jesus eliminates "the works of man" (John 6:28) entirely from the equation with His Powerful response "This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29), and the Apostle Paul is in accord with Jesus saying that God controls faith/belief unto salvation inside of man with absolutely no input by man:

by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast, for we are His work
(Ephesians 2:8-10).

Your heart nullifies this Word of God because your explanation results in "This is the work of man that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (the word of TomL).

No Christian says man causes man's belief/faith to point at Christ because we Christians believe Christ's sayings of "This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29).

continued to post #1,467

Last edited:
So what an extremely strange thing Calvinism is. So here you have God saying for them to do the above but a Calvinist will say the truth of the matter is God didn't really want them to. I can't imagine any brand of teaching one should know to stay away from other then this.
Yeah buddy... that's what I'm talking about. Leave that teaching in the dust.

Continued from post #1,465

Yet your theology would have God elect and regenerate give life apart from a union with christ

which is clearly contrary to scripture

John 6:53 (NASB 2020) — 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves.

John 5:40 (NASB 2020) — 40 and yet you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

John 3:36 (NASB 2020) — 36 The one who believes in the Son has eternal life; but the one who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.”

"For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost" (Lord Jesus Christ, Luke 19:10).

As indeed He says in Hosea, “Those who were not My people I will call ‘My people,’ and her who was not beloved I will call ‘beloved.’” (Romans 9:25).

"he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God” (Lord Jesus Christ, John 3:21).

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations" (Jeremiah 1:5).

"when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace" (the Apostle Paul, Galatians 1:15, FYI - the word "holy" means "set apart").

Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit. (John 3:3-8).

You have people seeing King Jesus of the Kingdom of God, which Lord Jesus says an unborn of God person cannot righteously perceive, you have such people seeing that which the Christ of us Christians says they cannot see (John 3:3-8).

continued to post #1,468

Last edited:
continued from post #1,467

PS Judas was chosen was he saved

"PS Judas was chosen was he saved" (your inquiry which was previously addressed).

If you don't know the answer to your question, then you certainly do not know the Word of God.

continued to post #1,469

Last edited:
continued from post #1,468

Grant

You deceptively ignored the first meaning given

grant​

(grănt)
tr.v. grant·ed, grant·ing, grants
To allow or consent to the fulfillment of (something requested): grant permission to speak frankly; grant a request.

hello

Again your deception was obvious as you omitted the very first meaning given

1. To allow or consent to the fulfillment of (something requested): grant permission to speak frankly; grant a request.

It is absurd you think faith is a substance like electricity which can be transferred

I chose www.thefreedictionary.com/grant very specifically according to the Will of God, so I am fully aware that the first dictionary of the alphabetically listed dictionaries on the page is the American Heritage® Dictionary, so I acknowledge that American Heritage® Dictionary editors gave first position to "To allow or consent to the fulfillment of (something requested)", but that definition is not first in all dictionaries, as can be seen below.

The parentheses around the phrase "(something requested)" indicates that "something requested" is not required for the American Heritage® Dictionary 1st definition of "grant", so "to allow the fulfillment of" is a satisfactory definition according to the 1st definition of "grant" in the American Heritage® Dictionary.

Your "You deceptively ignored the first meaning given" writing is blatantly false witness against me.

In Webster's College Dictionary, just a little way down in www.thefreedictionary.com/grant, the 1st definition is:

grant​

(grænt, grɑnt)
v. grant·ed, grant·ing
n. v.t.
1. to confer, esp. by a formal act: to grant a charter.

Your condescending "hello" is as faulty as your faulty thoughts about Holy Scripture, so let's camp out on this for the next few paragraphs.

You confusedly wrote "It is absurd you think faith is a substance like electricity which can be transferred". God says faith is imparted by God (John 6:28), and God says man is transferred into the Kingdom of God by God (John 3:3-8).

For example, regarding "transfer", you fail to understand that "He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the Kingdom of his beloved Son" (Colossians 1:13).

The word "grant" means to transfer, give, impart, confer (www.thefreedictionary.com/grant).

For example, grant deed transfers ownership of land to a recipient, and a grant deed can be executed without any contribution made by the recipient, not even a signature on the grant deed document; therefore, the grant deed can effectually cause the recipient of the grant deed to own said property.

The Apostle Paul's use of grant means God transfers/converts a person to believe as per the Apostle Paul's writing of "to you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer on His behalf" (Philippians 1:29).

I thank God who caused @brightfame52 to bring up Philippians 1:29.

Your linguistic confusion is manifest.

continued to post #1,470

Last edited:
continued from post #1,469

Again you ignore the comments of even your own peers

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

assuming your interpretation while ignoring scriptural;l confirmation

Romans 6:23–Romans 7 (NASB 2020) — 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gracious gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

also ignoring the fact Jesus praised great faith and castigated little faith which would make no sense if faith were just sovereignty transferred

Christ rebukes for a lack of faith - Matthew 6:30; 8:26; 14:31; 16:8; Luke 12:28; Mark 4:40

Christ commends great faith - Matthew 8:10; Luke 7:9

You wrote "People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us" (you made it your heart's treasure by quoting it) about John 6:29, so your thoughts produce "This is the work of man that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (the word of TomL) which is NOT keeping “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29).

As recorded in post #1,116, you call "repeat garbage" this wonderful Word of God “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29), but you didn't stop there.

Not only do you call "repeat garbage" this Word of God “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29), bur your heart proceeds to add to the Word of God producing the word of TomL instead "This is the work of man that you believe in Him whom He has sent".

continued to post #1,471

Last edited:
continued from post #1,470

Again the gift of God is salvation not faith

Again even your own peers can be found contrary to your claims

And that not of yourselves. That is, salvation does not proceed from yourselves. The word rendered that—τοῦτο—is in the neuter gender, and the word faith—πίστις—is in the feminine. The word “that,” therefore, does not refer particularly to faith, as being the gift of God, but to the salvation by grace of which he had been speaking. This is the interpretation of the passage which is the most obvious, and which is now generally conceded to be the true one; see Bloomfield1

1 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Ephesians, Philippians & Colossians (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 42.

But they commonly misintepret this text, and restrict the word ‘gift’ to faith alone. But Paul is only repeating his earlier statement in other words. He does not mean that faith is the gift of God, but that salvation is given to us by God … " (from, Calvin’s Commentaries 4:145

For by grace (τῃ γαρ χαριτι [tēi gar chariti]). Explanatory reason. “By the grace” already mentioned in verse 5 and so with the article. Through faith (δια πιστεως [dia pisteōs]). This phrase he adds in repeating what he said in verse 5 to make it plainer. “Grace” is God’s part, “faith” ours. And that (και τουτο [kai touto]). Neuter, not feminine ταυτη [tautē], and so refers not to πιστις [pistis] (feminine) or to χαρις [charis] (feminine also), but to the act of being saved by grace conditioned on faith on our part. Paul shows that salvation does not have its source (ἐξ ὑμων [ex humōn], out of you) in men, but from God. Besides, it is God’s gift (δωρον [dōron]) and not the result of our work.

A.T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament (Nashville, TN: Broadman Press, 1933), Eph 2:8.

Repeating your claims over and over does not make them any stronger

Calvin disagreed with you Barnes disagreed with you

They are both Calvinists and not Christian according to you

So why do you carry the namesake of a non Christian?

Funny how you post a verse then ship right over what it shows

All of "grace" and "saved" and "faith" are precisely the "the gift of God", yet each of "grace" and "saved" and "faith" are "not of yourselves".

These "grace" and "saved" and "faith" blessings of God are absolutely "His work" (Ephesians 2:8-10).

The True Grammar of Ephesians 2:8-10​

The Apostle Paul wrote:

"by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8).
In Ephesians chapter 2, Paul introduces the development for the concept of "by grace you have been saved" in Ephesians 2:5, then Paul proceeded through the intervening verses to the fully developed big reveal of "by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God" in Ephesians 2:8.

Paul expanded on what he started to talk about in Ephesians 2:5; moreover, in Ephesians 2:8, Paul makes it Spiritually and grammatically clear that faith is inextricably included in the "not of yourselves, it is the gift of God".

The Greek grammar of Ephesians 2:8 is multi-faceted, so let's look at these ten words, at constructs such as Greek language case/gender/number which establish communication, so here they are:
  • grace - noun - dative/feminine/singular
  • you is exclusively the subject in (Ephesians 2:8), and "you" is derived from the second person and plural count of the inflection of the verb "are".
  • are - verb - is a present, indicative, active verb in the second person and plural count
  • saved - verb - nominative/masculine/plural
  • faith - noun - genitive/feminine/singular
  • and - conjunction
  • that - demonstrative pronoun - nominative/neuter/singular
  • yourselves - personal pronoun - genitive in the second person with plural count.
  • God - noun - genitive/masculine/singular
  • gift - noun - nominative/neuter/singular

Since both "you" and "yourselves" are second person and plural count, then the word "yourselves" refers specifically to the complete sentence subject of "you"; therefore, the word "that" arbitrates the thing that is "not of yourselves" as well as "the gift of God".

A noun is the subject of a sentence, and a verb is an action by or on the subject of the sentence; moreover, a verb is not the subject of a sentence, and this is fundamental grammar.

A nuance of inflective languages is that a sentence's verb can concretely indicate the sentence's subject noun without including the specific word for the noun in the sentence. Both Greek and Spanish are examples of such inflective languages.

In Ephesians 2:8, the Greek verb ἐστε (Strong’s 1510 – εἰμί – eimi – am, are, is) translates to the English verb "are", and we know ἐστε equals “are” because of the inflection of ἐστε which is both second person, "you", and this "you" is plural; therefore, the Greek verb ἐστε (are) implicitly indicates the sentence’s subject noun “you” for this sentence:

For by grace you are saved through faith
(Ephesians 2:8)
The English word "you" is concretely the subject.

As is clearly evident in Ephesians 2:8, Paul utilized no full grammatical inflective agreement between the words, for example, he did not precisely tie objects back to the subject using case/number/gender agreement.

There is a principle in Greek grammar which dictates that in the absence of full inflective agreement, then the word order in the sentence becomes paramount, so the word order in Ephesians 2:8 dictates relationship between the words.

Essentially, this principle of Greek grammar word order antecedent placement results in the fact that the phrase "faith and that not of yourselves" is specifically stating that faith is not of man while at the same time specifically stating faith is truly the work of God because of "it is the gift of God".

As a minimum basis, the word order principle plays a role in the grammatical structure of Ephesians 2:8.

There is more to the grammatical structure of Ephesians 2:8, such as "God" and "faith" are the only genitive and singular two words in Ephesians 2:8, and both of these words have an antecedent that is neuter, and a neuter can be an antecedent to both masculine words and feminine words, so this grammatical structure binds the words "God" and "faith" together in Ephesians 2:8, and yet there is more to the grammatical structure such that the following is entirely Truth (John 14:6).

We have 3 clauses in Ephesians 2:8:
  • by grace you are saved through faith
  • and that not of yourselves
  • it is the gift of God

The full concept of the "by grace you are saved through faith" clause is "not of yourselves".

The full concept of the "by grace you are saved through faith" clause is "the gift of God".

The full concept of the "by grace you are saved through faith" clause is composed of the constituent parts of "grace" and "saved" and "faith".

When taken as a linguistic whole, Ephesians 2:8 results in this Truth (John 14:6) that the entirety of
  • grace is not a work of man while being the work of God.
  • savedbis not a work of man while being the work of God.
  • faith is not a work of man while being the work of God.
in Paul's writing of

by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast for we are His work
(Ephesians 2:8-10)
One of the grammatical functions of the genitive case is to establish association between two nouns. Paul used the genitive and singular combination for only two words in Ephesians 2:8, and these two words are the masculine "God" and the feminine "faith".

In Ephesians 2:9, Paul makes it clear that the work of faith is not a work of man, yet the surrounding verses of Ephesians 2:8 and Ephesians 2:10 clearly state that faith is the work of God.

The Apostle Paul is in accord with Lord Jesus Christ's sayings of "This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29).

On the other hand, your heart's belief about Paul is that "He does not mean that faith is the gift of God, but that salvation is given to us by God which adulterates Paul's writing to no longer be Paul's writing but truly to be your writing with:

by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast for we are His work
(the word of TomL corrupting Ephesians 2:8-10)

You are out of accord with Lord Jesus Christ's sayings of "This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29).

continued to post #1,472

Last edited:
continued from post 1,471

John obviously held that by reading his work one could believe

and that should he believe he might have life

For you to claim this concerns believers alone and John is telling believers how they might have life is absurd

They already have life. It is those without life who are in need of it

John states they could life if they believe

Not if God gives them faith but if they believe active voice

The Apostle John obviously believed that the Word of God is the Power of God for salvation to everyone who believes (Romans 1:16), and John recorded this Word of God "This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29), so John knows that saving faith in a person is caused by the Word of God.

JOHN’S WRITINGS FOR US BELIEVERS IN ALL TIME​

The Apostle John wrote “these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name” (John 20:31).

Among the writings of John includes the statements of Jesus “you did not choose Me, but I chose you” (John 15:16) and “I chose you out of the world” (John 15:19). These sayings of Jesus Christ, Lord and God (John 20:28), are part and parcel of the exclusive attribute of Jesus with respect to choice in the salvation of all His sheep in all time.

John’s writings are for us believers to believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing we have life in His Name; therefore, belief in Jesus about whom John wrote includes the exclusive centrality of choice reserved to Jesus by Jesus through Jesus in the salvation of all His sheep in all time.

Well, since Christ establishes who are His friends in John 15:15-16, then the applicability of John 15:16-19 to all Christians in all time is clearly evident. Even you claim to be Christ's friend.

THE EFFECTUAL RESULT OF YOUR CLAIM OF BEING CHRIST' FRIEND.

You answered "Yes" to the question of "Do you think you are a friend of Jesus, @TomL?" as recorded in post #576, so you, @TomL, reveal your confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33) as you assert that in John 15:15-16, as shown below, that Jesus' first two "you" occurrences apply to you, @TomL personally, but that Jesus' second two "you" occurrences apply "exclusively to the apostles":

I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me but I chose you
(Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:15-16).

Christ uses "you" to indicate all Christians in all time are chosen by God alone unto salvation as well as to bring the message of Christ's salvation to the world when King Jesus majestically decrees "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) and "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation). Your evasion of the King's decree is a terror.

Your heart's treasure results in "I have called you with that guy TomL friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. You apostles here now did not choose Me but I chose exclusively you apostles" (the confused word of TomL).

Your heart makes false statements about God. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! HALLELUJAH, LORD JESUS CHRIST!!! I THANK FOR YOUR POWERFUL WORKS!!!

Even though Pharaoh did everything God predetermined for him to do, in his disobeying Gods command, yet he did it willingly, he confessed himself In Exodus 9:27

27 And Pharaoh sent, and called for Moses and Aaron, and said unto them, I have sinned this time: the Lord is righteous, and I and my people are wicked.

continued from post 1,471

The Apostle John obviously believed that the Word of God is the Power of God for salvation to everyone who believes (Romans 1:16), and John recorded this Word of God "This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29), so John knows that saving faith in a person is caused by the Word of God.
Um he obviously believed his writings were sufficient for belief
'
John 20:31 (ESV) — 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

and that faith precedes the impartation of life

both of which are contrary to your theology

You running elsewhere does not change that

continued from post #1,470

All of "grace" and "saved" and "faith" are precisely the "the gift of God", yet each of "grace" and "saved" and "faith" are "not of yourselves".

These "grace" and "saved" and "faith" blessings of God are absolutely "His work" (Ephesians 2:8-10).

The True Grammar of Ephesians 2:8-10​

The Apostle Paul wrote:
"by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8).​
In Ephesians chapter 2, Paul introduces the development for the concept of "by grace you have been saved" in Ephesians 2:5, then Paul proceeded through the intervening verses to the fully developed big reveal of "by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God" in Ephesians 2:8.

Paul expanded on what he started to talk about in Ephesians 2:5; moreover, in Ephesians 2:8, Paul makes it Spiritually and grammatically clear that faith is inextricably included in the "not of yourselves, it is the gift of God".
sorry it is man who must believe so it is not possible faith is not of himself

and no one argues faith comes by means of work

so your view is not quite rational

which may be why even your own peers disagree

Again the gift of God is salvation not faith

Again even your own peers can be found contrary to your claims

And that not of yourselves. That is, salvation does not proceed from yourselves. The word rendered that—τοῦτο—is in the neuter gender, and the word faith—πίστις—is in the feminine. The word “that,” therefore, does not refer particularly to faith, as being the gift of God, but to the salvation by grace of which he had been speaking. This is the interpretation of the passage which is the most obvious, and which is now generally conceded to be the true one; see Bloomfield1

1 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Ephesians, Philippians & Colossians (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 42.

But they commonly misintepret this text, and restrict the word ‘gift’ to faith alone. But Paul is only repeating his earlier statement in other words. He does not mean that faith is the gift of God, but that salvation is given to us by God … " (from, Calvin’s Commentaries 4:145

For by grace (τῃ γαρ χαριτι [tēi gar chariti]). Explanatory reason. “By the grace” already mentioned in verse 5 and so with the article. Through faith (δια πιστεως [dia pisteōs]). This phrase he adds in repeating what he said in verse 5 to make it plainer. “Grace” is God’s part, “faith” ours. And that (και τουτο [kai touto]). Neuter, not feminine ταυτη [tautē], and so refers not to πιστις [pistis] (feminine) or to χαρις [charis] (feminine also), but to the act of being saved by grace conditioned on faith on our part. Paul shows that salvation does not have its source (ἐξ ὑμων [ex humōn], out of you) in men, but from God. Besides, it is God’s gift (δωρον [dōron]) and not the result of our work.

A.T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament (Nashville, TN: Broadman Press, 1933), Eph 2:8.

Repeating your claims over and over does not make them any stronger

Calvin disagreed with you Barnes disagreed with you

They are both Calvinists and not Christian according to you

as does scripture

Acts 16:30–31 (ESV) — 30 Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Believe is in the active voivce

which means it is something man must do - in other words it is of himself

You will also note The apostle does not state you can do nothing

BTW your grammatical claim is false

Greek words have gender: masculine, feminine, and neuter. When relative pronouns (such as “that” and “it”) are used to refer back to a noun, they always agree with the gender of the noun. The word “faith” in Greek is feminine. Therefore, if Paul was intending to say that faith is not of ourselves, but faith is a gift of God, he would have used a feminine relative pronoun for the word “that” (the word “it” is not actually in the Greek).

But the word “that” is not feminine; it is neuter.

Therefore, it is impossible for Paul to be thinking about “faith” when he wrote “and that is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.”

It is grammatically impossible for the word “that” to refer to “faith” in Ephesians 2:8.

So what was Paul referring to, if not to faith?

Ephesians 2:8-9 in Context

You can read my longer explanation of Ephesians 2:8-9 here, or in my book What is Faith?, but let me summarize the meaning of the text for you here.

As stated previously, Greek pronouns must agree with their antecedent in gender, number, and case. Faith is feminine, and the pronoun “that” is neuter, so the pronoun cannot be pointing back to faith.

So to what does the pronoun refer?

The problem is that there is no neuter noun in the preceding context.

So what was Paul referring to, if not to faith?

The answer is that Paul is referring to the entire “salvation package” that he has written about in Ephesians 2. The description of Paul about what God has provided to us in Jesus contains a mixture of masculine and feminine nouns. So Paul uses a neuter pronoun to refer to the entire “salvation package.”

or you can just believe scripture

Romans 6:23 (ESV) — 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Nowhere do we read god infuses or effectually causes faith in man

You wrote "People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us" (you made it your heart's treasure by quoting it) about John 6:29, so your thoughts produce "This is the work of man that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (the word of TomL) which is NOT keeping “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29).

As recorded in post #1,116, you call "repeat garbage" this wonderful Word of God “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29), but you didn't stop there.

Not only do you call "repeat garbage" this Word of God “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29), bur your heart proceeds to add to the Word of God producing the word of TomL instead "This is the work of man that you believe in Him whom He has sent".

continued to post #1,471
sorry again you assume your interpretation

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Believe. Faith is put as a moral act or work. The work of God is to believe. Faith includes all the works which God requires. The Jews’ question contemplates numerous works. Jesus’ answer directs them to one work. Canon Westcott justly observes that “this simple formula contains the complete solution of the relation of faith and works.”11 Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament (vol. 2; New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887), 148–149.

The meaning is not,—that faith is wrought in us by God, is the work of God; but that the truest way of working the work of God is to believe on Him whom He hath sent.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 761.

ignoring all contrary voices

and the overall context of john who tells us the reason he writes

John 20:31 (ESV) — 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

he writes that you might believe

Hello you claim is contrary to what john writes

continued from post #1,468

I chose www.thefreedictionary.com/grant very specifically according to the Will of God, so I am fully aware that the first dictionary of the alphabetically listed dictionaries on the page is the American Heritage® Dictionary, so I acknowledge that American Heritage® Dictionary editors gave first position to "To allow or consent to the fulfillment of (something requested)", but that definition is not first in all dictionaries, as can be seen below.

The parentheses around the phrase "(something requested)" indicates that "something requested" is not required for the American Heritage® Dictionary 1st definition of "grant", so "to allow the fulfillment of" is a satisfactory definition according to the 1st definition of "grant" in the American Heritage® Dictionary.

Your "You deceptively ignored the first meaning given" writing is blatantly false witness against me.

In Webster's College Dictionary, just a little way down in www.thefreedictionary.com/grant, the 1st definition is:

Sorry you had given as a reference www.thefreedictionary.com/grant

this is what it states

grant​

Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to grant: Cary Grant, Ulysses S Grant

grant​

(grănt)
tr.v. grant·ed, grant·ing, grants
To allow or consent to the fulfillment of (something requested): grant permission to speak frankly; grant a request.
a.
To give or confer officially or formally: grant voting rights to citizens; grant diplomatic immunity.
b. To transfer (property) by a deed.
3. To concede; acknowledge: I grant that your plan is ingenious, but you still will not find many backers.
n.
1. The act of granting.

but you had reported

Kermos said:
The word "grant" means to transfer, give, impart, confer (www.thefreedictionary.com/grant).

that is deceptive

continued to post #1,471
No i did not write. Your namesake calvin wrote

as did the calvinist barnes

and these other greek scholarst

Believe. Faith is put as a moral act or work. The work of God is to believe. Faith includes all the works which God requires. The Jews’ question contemplates numerous works. Jesus’ answer directs them to one work. Canon Westcott justly observes that “this simple formula contains the complete solution of the relation of faith and works.”11 Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament (vol. 2; New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887), 148–149.

The meaning is not,—that faith is wrought in us by God, is the work of God; but that the truest way of working the work of God is to believe on Him whom He hath sent.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 761.

and it is not the word of God that ia]\s garbage but your interpretations which cannot even be affirmed by your own peers

Back
Top Bottom