Make a point of absorbing bible knowledge so the TMI switch flips on in the brain.

Frank Russell

This is a thread so people can discuss ways of efficiently and effectively absorbing scripture knowledge so it becomes the background noise of the subconscious.

My first two suggestions are:

1) Draw up a reading plan, complete reading the bible in a month, and take notes as you go.

2) Invest in an audio/MP3 style bible so you can have it running all the time. In 2 or 3 days you can listen to the bible from beginning to the end.

The point of absorbing so much at once is so your mind can make references from the end to the beginning because it had absorbed the whole thing recently.

That is my discipleship suggestion, it's very DIY and go at your own pace.

Hope that helps.

God bless.

I have been in the habit since I first became a believer to get up early in the morning before anyone else in the house woke up. I was able to focus on what I was reading and studying. I also learned as a young believer through Navigators studies in the 80's and Campus Crusade for Christ studies the importance of memorizing scripture. Those early habits developed into a way of life for me that I still practice today. And its something I desire to do and I don't do it our of obligation or duty, just like with any other relationship.

Last edited:
I would avoid a legalistic approach.

Let hunger lead you rather than goals drive you.

Then just focus on cultivating hunger.

This is a thread so people can discuss ways of efficiently and effectively absorbing scripture knowledge so it becomes the background noise of the subconscious.

1) Draw up a reading plan, complete reading the bible in a month, and take notes as you go.

2) Invest in an audio/MP3 style bible so you can have it running all the time. In 2 or 3 days you can listen to the bible from beginning to the end.

The point of absorbing so much at once is so your mind can make references from the end to the beginning because it had absorbed the whole thing recently.

Hope that helps.

God bless.
I think there's a great many ways of doing things but make sure you give God a good measure of one's time each day in spiritual development. What is a amount of good time? I'll put it this way. If one can give their TV two or three hours a day how about give God the same amount of time?

One interesting thing we did with one of our kids. They could repeat back Psalm 91 word for word. People watching her do this were impressed, thinking how hard she worked to memorize it all. She didn't do that. Just once a day we would read the chapter and she'd repeat back to us line after line. After a period of time doing this her mind would remember the next words. Sort of like if you watched a 30 minute TV show over as a rerun. You get so you know the lines of what comes next without even thinking about it.

I think there's a great many ways of doing things but make sure you give God a good measure of one's time each day in spiritual development. What is a amount of good time? I'll put it this way. If one can give their TV two or three hours a day how about give God the same amount of time?

One interesting thing we did with one of our kids. They could repeat back Psalm 91 word for word. People watching her do this were impressed, thinking how hard she worked to memorize it all. She didn't do that. Just once a day we would read the chapter and she'd repeat back to us line after line. After a period of time doing this her mind would remember the next words. Sort of like if you watched a 30 minute TV show over as a rerun. You get so you know the lines of what comes next without even thinking about it.
The second idea came to me because I was on the computer a lot, so having the scripture being read in the background helped with absorbing the knowledge.

I used to have this idea that we could come to a knowledge that brings about the unity of faith based on something said in the scripture.

The important part of scripture is to apply it, and find different ways of applying it so it becomes a part of you.

One of the ways scripture became a part of me was very parables. So consuming a lot for a prolonged period of time was necessary for me. And it also may become necessary again.

The second idea came to me because I was on the computer a lot, so having the scripture being read in the background helped with absorbing the knowledge.

I used to have this idea that we could come to a knowledge that brings about the unity of faith based on something said in the scripture.

The important part of scripture is to apply it, and find different ways of applying it so it becomes a part of you.

One of the ways scripture became a part of me was very parables. So consuming a lot for a prolonged period of time was necessary for me. And it also may become necessary again.
I remember a guy who memorized the whole book of Romans-from the Gaither Vocal Band, forgot his name, think it was Steve.

Hope that helps.

God bless.
Sound advice.

Back
Top Bottom