Lordship Salvation in a Nutshell

John MacArthur, whose book The Gospel According to Jesus lays out the case for lordship salvation, summarizes the teaching this way: “The gospel call to faith presupposes that sinners must repent of their sin and yield to Christ’s authority.” In other words, a sinner who refuses to repent is not saved, for he cannot cling to his sin and the Savior at the same time. And a sinner who rejects Christ’s authority in his life does not have saving faith, for true faith encompasses a surrender to God. Thus, the gospel requires more than making an intellectual decision or mouthing a prayer; the gospel message is a call to discipleship. The sheep will follow their Shepherd in submissive obedience.

John MacArthur, whose book The Gospel According to Jesus lays out the case for lordship salvation, summarizes the teaching this way: “The gospel call to faith presupposes that sinners must repent of their sin and yield to Christ’s authority.” In other words, a sinner who refuses to repent is not saved, for he cannot cling to his sin and the Savior at the same time. And a sinner who rejects Christ’s authority in his life does not have saving faith, for true faith encompasses a surrender to God. Thus, the gospel requires more than making an intellectual decision or mouthing a prayer; the gospel message is a call to discipleship. The sheep will follow their Shepherd in submissive obedience.

John McArthur violates his own teachings on this.........................that's what religion does.

It is also great for writing books.

John McArthur violates his own teachings on this.........................that's what religion does.

It is also great for writing books.
Thanks for the heads up. They just gave one quote from him then explained it and I liked the explanation. "In other words, a sinner who refuses to repent is not saved, for he cannot cling to his sin and the Savior at the same time. And a sinner who rejects Christ’s authority in his life does not have saving faith, for true faith encompasses a surrender to God."

@DavidTree

I did find this and it seems to pretty much go along with what you're talking about.

First, Hodges notes, “MacArthur argues (pp. 172–73) that Ephesians 2:8–9 teach that ‘the entire process of grace, faith, and salvation’ is ‘the gift of God.’ This assertion is unfounded.… The Bible never affirms that saving faith per se is a gift.” According Hodges, MacArthur apparently gives God too much credit, since “God does everything, including the impartation of faith.” Hodges appears shocked that MacArthur would go so far as to say, “Spiritual sight is a gift from God that makes one willing and able to believe.” He comments, “The theology MacArthur evidently embraces is a formula for despair,” since it leaves nothing for humans to do in the matter of their new birth and justification (p. 219 n. 1).

Michael Horton, “Introduction: Don’t Judge a Book by Its Cover,” in Christ the Lord: The Reformation and Lordship Salvation,

@DavidTree

I did find this and it seems to pretty much go along with what you're talking about.

First, Hodges notes, “MacArthur argues (pp. 172–73) that Ephesians 2:8–9 teach that ‘the entire process of grace, faith, and salvation’ is ‘the gift of God.’ This assertion is unfounded.… The Bible never affirms that saving faith per se is a gift.” According Hodges, MacArthur apparently gives God too much credit, since “God does everything, including the impartation of faith.” Hodges appears shocked that MacArthur would go so far as to say, “Spiritual sight is a gift from God that makes one willing and able to believe.” He comments, “The theology MacArthur evidently embraces is a formula for despair,” since it leaves nothing for humans to do in the matter of their new birth and justification (p. 219 n. 1).

Michael Horton, “Introduction: Don’t Judge a Book by Its Cover,” in Christ the Lord: The Reformation and Lordship Salvation,
For myself, i look at how God saved me and the fact that JESUS being LORD was never something to debate.

When i study scripture, i SEE that God is the Head of Christ, Christ the Head of man and man the head of woman and extends to Husband & Wife who have become "One" in marriage, that is the necessary and protective authority over our children.
Of course if you believe this you may end up on a domestic terrorist list.

Thanks for the heads up. They just gave one quote from him then explained it and I liked the explanation. "In other words, a sinner who refuses to repent is not saved, for he cannot cling to his sin and the Savior at the same time. And a sinner who rejects Christ’s authority in his life does not have saving faith, for true faith encompasses a surrender to God."
for true faith encompasses a surrender to God."
i believe that we have to practice this everyday.
Some days we are in tune with the Holy Spirit and other times we are battling the flesh and/or spiritual attacks from the enemy.

i have been SAVED now for 40 years and have been to different churches and listened to most of main stream christianity,
including those who have since gone on to be with the LORD.
No one is perfect but One.

The LORD Jesus Christ is the only One worthy of saying: "Take up your cross and Come follow Me..."

So, for myself, i do not see a need for a new doctrine that was already established by God from Genesis chapter 1.
And if that is not enough, chapter 3 really sets the tone for who is BOSS.

However, if christianity has become just a weekly social event, then i can see a need for such a message/preaching/teaching.

But i do get a chuckle of "lordship salvation" especially when the preacher needs that message for himself.

Peace and Grace to the Body of Christ and may God grant repentance to our families, friends, neighbors and especially our children who have not yet turned away from the world and into His Grace.

For myself, i look at how God saved me and the fact that JESUS being LORD was never something to debate.

When i study scripture, i SEE that God is the Head of Christ, Christ the Head of man and man the head of woman and extends to Husband & Wife who have become "One" in marriage, that is the necessary and protective authority over our children.
Of course if you believe this you may end up on a domestic terrorist list.

i believe that we have to practice this everyday.
Some days we are in tune with the Holy Spirit and other times we are battling the flesh and/or spiritual attacks from the enemy.

i have been SAVED now for 40 years and have been to different churches and listened to most of main stream christianity,
including those who have since gone on to be with the LORD.
No one is perfect but One.

The LORD Jesus Christ is the only One worthy of saying: "Take up your cross and Come follow Me..."

So, for myself, i do not see a need for a new doctrine that was already established by God from Genesis chapter 1.
And if that is not enough, chapter 3 really sets the tone for who is BOSS.

However, if christianity has become just a weekly social event, then i can see a need for such a message/preaching/teaching.

But i do get a chuckle of "lordship salvation" especially when the preacher needs that message for himself.

Peace and Grace to the Body of Christ and may God grant repentance to our families, friends, neighbors and especially our children who have not yet turned away from the world and into His Grace.
I agree I also do not see the need for a new doctrine. Of course we need to be obedient to Christ and he is our Lord. But that's more like Sanctification Not salvation. So if they change the name to something like lordship sanctification I could go for it. Jesus is my Lord and Savior.

Savior (Greek-Soter) means savior, deliverer, preserver.

Savior: “And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world” (1 John 4:14). As Savior, Jesus is the only One Who can save us!

Deliverer: “Him God has exalted to His right hand to be Prince and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins” (Acts 5:31). As Savior, Jesus is the only One Who can deliver us from sin!

Preserver: “For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 3:20). As Savior, Jesus is the only One to preserve for us a home with Him in Heaven!

Here to identify his wife's body we request that he come down to the department with a photograph of it he was genetic state
Lord (Greek-Kyrios) means master, one to whom someone belongs.

“Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 5:1). Because of our sin, the only way we can have peace with God is to accept Jesus’ gift of salvation and recognize Jesus as Lord of our lives.

“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:23). Only by making Jesus Lord of our lives can we receive the free gift of eternal life with Him in Heaven!

“And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:11). Regardless of how we feel or believe, only Jesus is Lord! We can either choose to acknowledge that now and spend eternity with Him or be forced to acknowledge it later and spend eternity without Him. Either way, JESUS IS SAVIOR and JESUS IS LORD
by Adrian Rogers

I agree I also do not see the need for a new doctrine. Of course we need to be obedient to Christ and he is our Lord. But that's more like Sanctification Not salvation. So if they change the name to something like lordship sanctification I could go for it. Jesus is my Lord and Savior.
BINGO = Sanctification

The gospel call to faith presupposes that sinners must repent of their sin and yield to Christ’s authority. That, in a nutshell is what “lordship salvation” teaches.

Surrender to Jesus’ lordship is not an addendum to the biblical terms of salvation; the summons to submission is at the heart of the gospel invitation throughout Scripture.

Those who criticize lordship salvation like to level the charge that we teach a system of works-based righteousness. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Christ’s death on the cross paid the full penalty for our sins and purchased eternal salvation. His atoning sacrifice enables God to justify sinners freely without compromising the perfection of divine righteousness Romans 3:24–26. His resurrection from the dead declares His victory over sin and death 1 Cor. 15:54–57

Salvation is by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ alone—plus and minus nothing Eph. 2:8–9

Sinners cannot earn salvation or favor with God Romans 8:8

God requires of those who are saved no preparatory works or prerequisite self-improvement Romans 10:13 ; 1 Tim. 1:15

Eternal life is a gift of God Romans 6:23

Believers are saved and fully justified before their faith ever produces a single righteous work Eph. 2:10

Christians can and do sin 1 John 1:8 , 10. Even the strongest Christians wage a constant and intense struggle against sin in the flesh Romans 7:15–24. Genuine believers sometimes commit heinous sins, as David did in 2 Samuel 11.

Real faith inevitably produces a changed life 2 Cor. 5:17. Salvation includes a transformation of the inner person Gal. 2:20. The nature of the Christian is different, new Romans 6:6. The unbroken pattern of sin and enmity with God will not continue when a person is born again 1 John 3:9–10.

The Gospel According to Jesus by John F. MacArthur Jr.
Indeed

Luke 6:46 (ESV) — 46 “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?

The purpose of salvation is sanctification.
If a person is not living a new life in love, in which The Christ ir The Master, how could that person claim to have been saved?
Saved from what?

To me the confusion emerges from believing that Jesus came to save us from an eternal lake of fire and sulphur that awaited us after we die.
No.
Jesus came to free us from our current prison, our current hell, our current death.

The purpose of salvation is sanctification.

The purpose of Salvation, is to allow a sinner to be born again, and forgiven.

The SUBSEQUENT rest of what happens down here.. the sanctification, the walk of faith, the daily "presenting your body to God, as a living sacrifice' is MEANINGLESS,.. is USELESS.... = unless the NEW BIRTH and forgiveness of sin, has been COMPLETED by GOD, regarding the BELIEVER.

The purpose of Salvation, is to allow a sinner to be born again, and forgiven.

The SUBSEQUENT rest of what happens down here.. the sanctification, the walk of faith, the daily "presenting your body to God, as a living sacrifice' is MEANINGLESS,.. is USELESS.... = unless the NEW BIRTH and forgiveness of sin, has been COMPLETED by GOD, regarding the BELIEVER.

A person who is born again is born into a new life of love, joy, obedience, freedom.
It is in that respect that I say that salvation is sanctification.
Repentance, if authentic, will produce the "fruits of repentance" that Jesus required in Matthew 3:8.
Otherwise, a repentance is false, and therefore, useless.

The belief is that in order to be redeemed by Christ you must repent of all your sins, and fully commit yourself in obedience to God. Saving faith is said to involve a decision to make Jesus Christ the Lord of your life, or fully surrendering to the lordship of Christ. This is why this position is referred to as Lordship Salvation. In reality, it confuses the biblical distinction between salvation and discipleship. Lordship Salvation is not about what you do for God. It's about what He did for us.

Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? Romans 6:16

“Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body” 1 Corinthians 6:19–20

Since we were obtained at such a tremendous expense, we are to use our bodies to honor God with good deeds: “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago” Ephesians 2:10

Back
Top Bottom