Lordship Salvation in a Nutshell

Unmerited

The gospel call to faith presupposes that sinners must repent of their sin and yield to Christ’s authority. That, in a nutshell is what “lordship salvation” teaches.

Surrender to Jesus’ lordship is not an addendum to the biblical terms of salvation; the summons to submission is at the heart of the gospel invitation throughout Scripture.

Those who criticize lordship salvation like to level the charge that we teach a system of works-based righteousness. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Christ’s death on the cross paid the full penalty for our sins and purchased eternal salvation. His atoning sacrifice enables God to justify sinners freely without compromising the perfection of divine righteousness Romans 3:24–26. His resurrection from the dead declares His victory over sin and death 1 Cor. 15:54–57

Salvation is by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ alone—plus and minus nothing Eph. 2:8–9

Sinners cannot earn salvation or favor with God Romans 8:8

God requires of those who are saved no preparatory works or prerequisite self-improvement Romans 10:13 ; 1 Tim. 1:15

Eternal life is a gift of God Romans 6:23

Believers are saved and fully justified before their faith ever produces a single righteous work Eph. 2:10

Christians can and do sin 1 John 1:8 , 10. Even the strongest Christians wage a constant and intense struggle against sin in the flesh Romans 7:15–24. Genuine believers sometimes commit heinous sins, as David did in 2 Samuel 11.

Real faith inevitably produces a changed life 2 Cor. 5:17. Salvation includes a transformation of the inner person Gal. 2:20. The nature of the Christian is different, new Romans 6:6. The unbroken pattern of sin and enmity with God will not continue when a person is born again 1 John 3:9–10.

The Gospel According to Jesus by John F. MacArthur Jr.

If Christians inevitably sin and we are saved by grace—then adding in certain requirements to be "dedicated" enough and live "holy" enough is setting an arbitrary standard below perfection to be "good enough" to be saved by grace alone.

Just saying "I'm not doing X" does not mean you are not doing X: there is such a thing as cognitive dissonance and doublespeak. There is nothing incompatible about saying there are non-meritorious conditions for salvation, but we must not make that some standard of achieved righteousness alongside the Cross.

When we tell people to repent of sins, we are not saying "live holy enough to be saved." We are saying, "Let the grace of God work in you a sorrow for sin and a desire for righteousness not based on how good you are doing or some holiness you think you have to achieve."

No one repents of every sin perfectly, and imperfect repentance is not somehow fulfilling the Law or achieving holiness. When we say salvation is by grace, we should make every attempt to really mean that salvation is by grace alone and not by what we do—it's a true dichotomy.

Self-righteousness is the hardest of all sins to see, and the most ubiquitous of all the sins of mankind, and one of the worst sins we can commit. We must not let the idea slip back in as Galatians warns us that now we are basing salvation off of fulfilling some kind of demand for holiness.

@dizerner I believe it’s a heart condition .

It’s a Matter of the Heart, what consumes your heart?

1-The hearts condition: Jeremiah 17:9- The heart is desperately wicked who can understand it? Galatians 5:17- the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want Proverbs 23:71-As a man thinks in his heart so is he – A man speaks from what fills his heart- Luke 6:45. Where your treasure is there you heart will be also. Matthew 6:21

2-Jesus said to the church in Ephesus: Revelations 2:4-5- I have this against you- you have left your first love, therefor remember from where you have fallen, repent and do the things you did at first- Jeremiah 2:2 - “Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem: “This is what the LORD says: “’I remember the devotion of your youth, how as a bride you loved me and followed me through the wilderness, through a land not sown.

3-What was it like when you first came to Christ and experienced His love? Remember what it was like when you pursued your first love or the one you married? How much time did you spend together? Asking questions getting to know each other better? Finding out what she liked, disliked, pleased her, made her happy, the things you did together, etc…… Those are the same types of things in our relationship with Jesus we should consider. That 1st love , seeking to spend time with our Lord getting to know Him through His word, prayer, fellowship, growing in our relationship with Him.

4- The hearts solution: Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Romans 12:1-2-Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Psalm 119:9-11- How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word.10 With all my heart I have sought You; Do not let me wander from Your commandments.11 Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You.

The gospel call to faith presupposes that sinners must repent of their sin and yield to Christ’s authority. That, in a nutshell is what “lordship salvation” teaches.

Surrender to Jesus’ lordship is not an addendum to the biblical terms of salvation; the summons to submission is at the heart of the gospel invitation throughout Scripture.

Those who criticize lordship salvation like to level the charge that we teach a system of works-based righteousness. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Christ’s death on the cross paid the full penalty for our sins and purchased eternal salvation. His atoning sacrifice enables God to justify sinners freely without compromising the perfection of divine righteousness Romans 3:24–26. His resurrection from the dead declares His victory over sin and death 1 Cor. 15:54–57

Salvation is by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ alone—plus and minus nothing Eph. 2:8–9

Sinners cannot earn salvation or favor with God Romans 8:8

God requires of those who are saved no preparatory works or prerequisite self-improvement Romans 10:13 ; 1 Tim. 1:15

Eternal life is a gift of God Romans 6:23

Believers are saved and fully justified before their faith ever produces a single righteous work Eph. 2:10

Christians can and do sin 1 John 1:8 , 10. Even the strongest Christians wage a constant and intense struggle against sin in the flesh Romans 7:15–24. Genuine believers sometimes commit heinous sins, as David did in 2 Samuel 11.

Real faith inevitably produces a changed life 2 Cor. 5:17. Salvation includes a transformation of the inner person Gal. 2:20. The nature of the Christian is different, new Romans 6:6. The unbroken pattern of sin and enmity with God will not continue when a person is born again 1 John 3:9–10.

Always share the link

The gospel according to Jesus by MacArthur is a good book that gets into the Lordship aspect of salvation, being a disciple and following Christ as both ones Savior and Lord.

The gospel according to Jesus by MacArthur is a good book that gets into the Lordship aspect of salvation, being a disciple and following Christ as both ones Savior and Lord.
Be it as it may-you will still find good material from the Reformers and not in the various Pentecostal "MOVEMENTS"

Sam is a catholic now ?
Fully sold out.
I am not ashamed re our Reformers and Church fathers-.

Edit admin One video per page please

Give this a listen and notice his eisegesis on Scriptures brother. You will find many of his articles on answering islam.org.

Shalom brother.
J.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fully sold out.
I am not ashamed re our Reformers and Church fathers-.

Give this a listen and notice his eisegesis on Scriptures brother. You will find many of his articles on answering islam.org.

Shalom brother.
J.
I'm familiar with him from 20 years ago, but not recently. This is much worse than Hannagraf becoming E.O.

The gospel call to faith presupposes that sinners must repent of their sin and yield to Christ’s authority.
What happens when someone does not take the required action; is salvation withheld?
How could nothing be further from the truth than the natural and logical consequence of your claim?

You claim a person must do A and B. Either they must and it IS works based theology or said actions are not a must and they will be saved anyway.

What happens when someone does not take the required action; is salvation withheld?

How could nothing be further from the truth than the natural and logical consequence of your claim?

You claim a person must do A and B. Either they must and it IS works based theology or said actions are not a must and they will be saved anyway.
Works-base salvation is a salvation that is earned by our works as a wage, however, there can be any number of other reasons for doing works other than in order to earn our salvation. While there are many verses like Romans 4:1-5 that speak against earning our justification as a wage, there are also many verses like Romans 2:13 that say that only doers of the law will be justified, so there must be reasons why our justification requires us to choose to be doers of the law other than in order to earn it as a wage, such as faith insofar as the faith by which we are justified does not abolish our need to obey God's law, but rather our faith upholds it (Romans 3:28-31).

Works-base salvation is a salvation that is earned by our works as a wage, however, there can be any number of other reasons for doing works other than in order to earn our salvation. While there are many verses like Romans 4:1-5 that speak against earning our justification as a wage, there are also many verses like Romans 2:13 that say that only doers of the law will be justified, so there must be reasons why our justification requires us to choose to be doers of the law other than in order to earn it as a wage, such as faith insofar as the faith by which we are justified does not abolish our need to obey God's law, but rather our faith upholds it (Romans 3:28-31).
It lines up well with Ephesians 2:10- our purpose when we are saved.

there are also many verses like Romans 2:13 that say that only doers of the law will be justified
Hmmm. I don't think your take on v13 is correct because v17 makes it clear that he is talking to (recently converted) Jews who might still claim to be a Jew.

I will say that we follow the law as it is God's will, out of our new heart to do so. Paul says this in v 14-5, even of outsiders. We do not follow the law as a means to be justified. Rather, the effect of being justified through grace is that we more and more want to follow God's will. YMMV.

Hmmm. I don't think your take on v13 is correct because v17 makes it clear that he is talking to (recently converted) Jews who might still claim to be a Jew.

I will say that we follow the law as it is God's will, out of our new heart to do so. Paul says this in v 14-5, even of outsiders. We do not follow the law as a means to be justified. Rather, the effect of being justified through grace is that we more and more want to follow God's will. YMMV.
In Romans 2:14, it says that believing Gentiles are by nature doers of the Torah, so the fact that he specifically addressed Jews in verse 17 does not mean that verse 13 is only speaking about Jews. I don't see a reason why a Jew who became a followers of the Jewish Messiah of Judaism would need to convert to a different religion or cease being being a Jew. In Acts 21:20, they were rejoicing that tens of thousands of Jews were coming to faith who were all zealous for the Torah, which is in accordance with believing in what Jesus gave himself on the cross to accomplish (Titus 2:11-14). This means that there was a period of time between the resurrection of Jesus and the inclusion of Gentiles in Acts 10 that is estimated to be around 7-15 years during which all Christians were Torah observant Jews, so Christianity at its origin was the form of Judaism that recognized Jesus as its prophesied Messiah.

To have a character trait means to be someone who practices that trait, so to be courageous is to be someone who practices courageousness while it would be contradictory to be courageous while not being someone who practices courageousness. However, we do not earn the trait of being courageous as a earned as the result of having practiced courageousness, but rather someone becomes courageousness because they have faith that that is the way that they ought to live. Likewise, to for God to be righteous means that He practices righteousness, so for us to become righteous means to become someone who practices righteousness, but we become righteous through faith, not earned as the result of having practiced righteousness. God's law is His instructions for how to practice righteousness, not for how to result in becoming righteous.

"for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God" The term "hearers" can refer to-

rabbinical usage which had a specialized sense of rabbinical students of the Torah
those who heard the Scriptures read in synagogue

Remember the writers of the NT were Hebrew thinkers writing in Koine Greek. Therefore, word analysis must begin with the Septuagint, not a Greek lexicon.

The term "just" or "justified" (dikē in all its forms) is a crucial term in Paul's theology (cf. Rom. 3:4, 20,24,26,28,30; 4:2,5; 5:1,9; 6:7; 8:30,33). The words "just," "justify," "justification," "right," and "righteousness" are all derived from dikaios. In Hebrew (tsadag, BDB 843) it originally referred to a long straight reed (15 to 20 feet) which was used to measure things, such as walls or fences, for plumb. It came to be used metaphorically of God as the standard of judgment.

In Paul's writings the term had two foci. First, God's own righteousness is given to sinful mankind as a free gift through faith in Christ. This is often called imputed righteousness or forensic righteousness. It refers to one's legal standing before a righteous God. This is the origin of Paul's famous "justification by grace through faith" theme.

Second, God's activity of restoring sinful mankind into His image (cf. Gen. 1:26-27), or to put it another way, to bring about Christlikeness. This verse-like Matt. 7:24; Luke 8:21 and 11:28; John 13:17; James 1:22-23,25-urges believers to be doers not just hearers.

Imputed righteousness (justification) must result in righteous living (sanctification). God forgives and changes sinners! Paul's usage was both legal and ethical.

The New Covenant gives humans a legal standing but also demands a godly lifestyle. It is free, but costly!

Johann.

Back
Top Bottom