Ephesians 1:4 Explained

It would be wise to stay with the context here and include verse 12 with 13.

12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.​

Paul here refers to himself and the other apostles and Jews who first believed on Jesus Christ, before the Gentiles trusted.

Paul was part of those chosen by God for the praise of His glory, proven by faith in Christ. Please note: If trusting Christ were something Paul chose to do, the praise would not be to God’s glory! It is only by the electing purpose of God that any depraved men would believe or trust God.

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,​

Having identified himself and Jews as first believers, he now includes the Gentile Ephesians.

P)lease note: The word of truth is not the means of obtaining the things listed, but of learning about them.

The gospel of your salvation is the good news of your salvation through the revelation of God’s mystery kept secret from the foundation of the world (Rom 1:16; I Cor 1:18,24). If these Ephesians or anyone else believes the gospel, it proves predestination (Acts 13:48).

A king could seal any thing with his signet, marking it as His own, much as a notary does today in sealing a signed document or a governmental unit does by its seal.

After believing, we were given the seal and proof of our sonship, the Holy Spirit of promise, which gives internal and external evidence (Romans 8:14-16; Ephesians 4:30; 2nd Corinthians 1:22; 5:5).

This is now the second time I have addressed this one scripture for you, no more. You can keep posting it all you desire to do, but it will be to no avail, per the scriptures:

Titus 3:10​

“A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;”

Again, this has been addressed a few time. more than it should have been~but once more.

Context, Tom, context!

Romans 9:6-10~"Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed. For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son. And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac; (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)"

Paul is addressing who are and are not children of God~not one word about service in these scriptures, that is force into them by wicked men who hate the truth that salvation from sin and condemnation is totally by God's elections of pure grace according to the good pleasure of his will.

In the preceding verse the Apostle had shown that there was a difference among Israelites; now he refers to a difference in the seed of Abraham. The error of the Jews was, that they thought they were the children of God by being the children of Abraham. But in this, as the Apostle declares, they were in error. The promise to Abraham and his seed was not made to him and all his descendants in general, but to him and a particular seed. As the children of Abraham, they were all, indeed, in one sense the children of God. God says to Pharaoh with respect to them, ‘Let my son go.’ But the natural sonship was only a figure of the spiritual sonship of all believers of every nation. None but such are the spiritual seed of Abraham, whether among Jews or Gentiles.

For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sarah shall have a son.The birth of Isaac was by promise, and without a miracle it would never have taken place. But the birth of Ishmael was not by promise, but in the ordinary course of nature. Thus the children of God specially promised to Abraham were those who, according to the election of God (who had chosen Isaac in preference to Ishmael), were to come into a spiritual relation with Christ, who is emphatically the promised seed in the line of Isaac, Galatians 3:16. To them the spiritual blessings were restricted, while only the temporal advantages of the national covenant belonged to the whole of Israel.

The new birth of a elect sinner is by God's oath and promises of grace to the seed of Jesus Christ based upon what he did for them in the body of his flesh. There is absoultely nothing in these verses, or Galatians 4, which goes perfectly with Romans 9: 6-10 concerning service~any honest person seeking truth, truly knows this, only men whose hearts is bent to corrupt scriptures would fight against what is clearly written. Even the next few scriptures in Romans 9 would even prove it even more so, that it is speaking of mercy being shown toward whosoever God wills to show mercy. Some God hardens them by leaving them in their natural state without mercy being show toward them, others mercy is freely given to them to cause them to submit to him, not perfectly but overall considered. Enough said on thsi point.

I have addressed these more than once, but will do so one more time, after I return, or the first thing in the morning.
I be seeing how people like yourself go over and over these things, and he will just ignore it like it never transpired.

It would be wise to stay with the context here and include verse 12 with 13.

12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.​

Paul here refers to himself and the other apostles and Jews who first believed on Jesus Christ, before the Gentiles trusted.

Paul was part of those chosen by God for the praise of His glory, proven by faith in Christ. Please note: If trusting Christ were something Paul chose to do, the praise would not be to God’s glory! It is only by the electing purpose of God that any depraved men would believe or trust God.

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,​

Having identified himself and Jews as first believers, he now includes the Gentile Ephesians.

Please note: The word of truth is not the means of obtaining the things listed, but of learning about them.
Please note that is not what the text states

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

men are sealed in Christ after that they believe

nothing is stated of them learning they had all those blessing before they believed and were included in Christ

You have twiasted that verse to posit your theology

The gospel of your salvation is the good news of your salvation through the revelation of God’s mystery kept secret from the foundation of the world (Rom 1:16; I Cor 1:18,24). If these Ephesians or anyone else believes the gospel, it proves predestination (Acts 13:48).
The definition of tasso (acts 13:48) is not predestined

τάσσω Greek GK #5435

[5435] τάσσω tassō 8× to arrange; to set, appoint, in a certain station, Lk. 7:8; Rom. 13:1; to set, devote, to a pursuit, 1 Cor. 16:15; to dispose, frame, for an object, Acts 13:48; to arrange, appoint, place or time, Mt. 28:16; Acts 28:23; to allot, assign, Acts 22:10; to settle, decide, Acts 15:2* [5021]1

1 William D. Mounce, Mounce’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old & New Testament Words (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2006), 1288.

5021. τάσσω

latter appears only in certain tenses); to arrange in an orderly manner, i.e. assign or dispose (to a certain position or lot):- addict, appoint, determine, ordain, set.Strong’s Talking Greek and Hebrew Dictionary, G5021 (1 time)

1299. διατάσσω diatássō

from diá (1223), through, and tássō (5021), to appoint, order. To arrange throughout, to dispose in order as trees, troops. In the NT: to command, used in connection with what was appointed…The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament, G1299 (1 time)

διατάσσω

Att. -ττω: f. ξω:—Pass., aor. i -ετάχθην: pf. -τέταγμαι:—to appoint or ordain severally, dispose, Hes., Hdt.:—absol. to make arrangements, Xen.:—Med. to arrange for oneself, get things…An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon, p 195 (1 time)

διατάσσω

διατέτᾰχα BGU1151.6 (i b.c.), prob. in OGI326.27 (Teos):—appoint or ordain severally, dispose, εὖ δὲ ἕκαστα ἀθανάτοις διέταξε Hes.Th.74; ἀνθρώποισι νόμον δ. Id.Op.276…A Greek-English Lexicon, p 414 (1 time)

Luke’s statement, and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed, receives a most illuminating treatment by Dummelow:

This expresses the Pauline and Apostolic doctrine of predestination, according to which God desires the salvation of all men (1 Tim. 2:4; 4:10, etc.), but insomuch as He foresees that some (in the exercise of their free will) will actually repent and believe, while others will refuse to do so, He ordains the former to eternal life, and the latter to eternal death (Rom. 8:28–30, etc.).1

1 Charles W. Carter, “The Acts of the Apostles,” in Matthew-Acts (vol. 4; The Wesleyan Bible Commentary; Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1966), 4572.

Gentiles … glad—When now these Gentiles learn from the gracious words of Hebrew prophecy that this Gospel was promised to them of old, their hearts go forward with eager joy to embrace it. Ordained to eternal life—Should be rendered, disposed to eternal life. It plainly refers to the eager predisposition just above mentioned in the heart of many of these Gentiles on learning that old prophecy proclaims a Messiah for them. As many as were so inclined to the eternal life now offered committed themselves by faith to the blessed Jesus.

Rarely has a text been so violently wrenched from its connections with the context, and strained beyond its meaning for a purpose, than has been this clause in support of the doctrine of predestination. There is not the least plausibility in the notion that Luke in this simple history is referring to any eternal decree predestinating these men to eternal life. The word here rendered ordained usually signifies placed, positioned, disposed. It may refer to the material or to the mental position. It is a verb in the passive form, a form which frequently possesses a reciprocal active meaning; that is, it frequently signifies an action performed by one’s self upon one’s self. Thus, in Romans 9:22, The vessels of wrath fitted to destruction are carefully affirmed, even by predestinarians, to be fitted by themselves. Indeed, the very Greek word here rendered ordained is frequently used, compounded with a preposition, in the New Testament itself, in the passive form with a reciprocal meaning. Thus, Rom. 13:1, Be subject unto the higher powers, is literally, place yourselves under the higher powers. So, also, Rom. 8:7; 1 Cor. 16:16; James 4:7, and many other texts. The meaning we give is required by the antithesis between the Jews in verse 46 and these Gentiles. The former were indisposed to eternal life, and so believed not; these were predisposed to eternal life, and so believed. The permanent faith of the soul was consequent upon the predisposition of the heart and the predetermination of the will.1

1 D. D. Whedon, Acts–Romans (vol. III; A Popular Commentary on the New Testament; London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1875), 164–165.

καὶ ἐπίστευσαν ὅσοι ἦσαν τεταγμένοι εἰς ζωὴν αἰώνιον, and as many as were ordained unto eternal life believed. In the controversies on predestination and election this sentence has constantly been brought forward. But it is manifestly unfair to take a sentence out of its context, and interpret it as if it stood alone. In ver. 46 we are told that the Jews had adjudged themselves unworthy of eternal life, and all that is meant by the words in this verse is the opposite of that expression. The Jews were acting so as to proclaim themselves unworthy; the Gentiles were making manifest their desire to be deemed worthy. The two sections were like opposing troops, ranged (τεταγμένοι = marshalled) by themselves, and to some degree, though not unalterably, looked upon as so arranged by God on different sides. Thus the Gentiles were ordering themselves, and were ordered unto eternal life. The text says no word to warrant us in thinking that none could henceforth change sides. Nor is the rendering ‘ordained’ necessarily an evidence of the Calvinistic bias of our translators11 J. Rawson Lumby, The Acts of the Apostles (Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1891), 250–251.

The Calvinist interpretation doesn’t fit the context. These Gentiles were not blind, stubborn and fully obstinate, according to the Calvinist doctrine of Total Inability, but appear to have been receptive, God-fearing, sanctified worshipers of God.

A. T. Robertson’s comment is helpful (Word Pictures. 3,200): "They rejected the word of God. On the other side were those Gentiles who gladly accepted what the Jews had rejected the word of God. On the other side were those Gentiles who gladly accepted what the Jews had rejected, not all the Gentiles. Why these Gentiles here ranged themselves on God’s side as opposed to the Jews Luke does not tell us. This verse does not solve the vexing problem of divine sovereignty and human free agency. There is no evidence that Luke had in mind an absolutum decretum of personal salvation. Paul had shown that God’s plan extended to and included Gentiles. Certainly the Spirit of God does move upon the human heart to which some respond, as here, while others push him away." See also John Wesley, Notes, in loco. God, Man, & Salvation, by W. T. Purkiser, Richard S. Taylor, Willard H. Taylor,

As many as were disposed to eternal life, as many as had concern about their eternal state, and aimed to make sure of eternal life, believed in Christ, in whom God has treasured up that life, and who is the only Way to it11 Matthew Henry and Thomas Scott, Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary (Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, 1997), Ac 13:42.

A king could seal any thing with his signet, marking it as His own, much as a notary does today in sealing a signed document or a governmental unit does by its seal.

After believing, we were given the seal and proof of our sonship, the Holy Spirit of promise, which gives internal and external evidence (Romans 8:14-16; Ephesians 4:30; 2nd Corinthians 1:22; 5:5).

This is now the second time I have addressed this one scripture for you, no more. You can keep posting it all you desire to do, but it will be to no avail, per the scriptures:

And the second time you failed to show anyone was in christ before believing in him

so you have accomplished exactly nothing

as Paul shows, men are found in Christ in time

Romans 16:7 (KJV 1900) — 7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Titus 3:10​

“A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;”

Again, this has been addressed a few time. more than it should have been~but once more.

Context, Tom, context!
yes you might try using it

open your eyes

Israel was elect to the service of god but most not saved

Romans 9:1–4 (KJV 1900) — 1 I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost, 2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. 3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: 4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;

@TomL

Please note that is not what the text states

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,​

Thats the regenerated elect, chosen Eph 1:4. They heard Spiritually the word of Truth, the Gospel of their Salvation. They could only hear because they were regenerated by the Spirit.

The natural man doesnt receive the Truths of the Gospel, its foolishness to him 1 Cor 2 14

@TomL

Thats the regenerated elect, chosen Eph 1:4. They heard Spiritually the word of Truth, the Gospel of their Salvation. They could only hear because they were regenerated by the Spirit.

The natural man doesnt receive the Truths of the Gospel, its foolishness to him 1 Cor 2 14
Sorry you are adding your theology to the scriptures once again

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,​

regeneration does not appear in the passage

I knew you couldnt receive that Truth

I knew you couldnt receive that Truth
Your imagination does not qualify as truth

Exactly!

So, my question to you is why do you keep saying that one first believes then they are regenerated and then seal~using this verse to teach that lie?

A wise man once said: Inconsistency is the hallmark of error! I'll stay consistent and maintain my scriptural position

Red Baker~Please note: The word of truth is not the means of obtaining the things listed, but of learning about them.

One more thoughts quickly: you said:

Toml: nothing is stated of them learning they had all those blessing before they believed and were included in Christ
Tom, prince and princesses are born into this world having so many earthly blessings and they have no understanding of them and of whom they really are until they hear and learn and as are able to do both. Much like every child of God whom God has made each one kings and priest, inheritors of all things.

Revelation 1:6​

“And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.”

We certainly did not make ourselves such as your vain theology teaches!

I'm going back and finish in order what I said above.

Last edited:

Subject Heading:- Ephesians 1:4 Explained​

Ephesians 1:4

“even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.”4

Consistent hermeneutics demand that verses be read in context. The letter to the Ephesians was written to Christians, Ephesians 1:1 “To the saints who are in Ephesus and are faithful in Christ Jesus.”5 Paul then begins an exposition of the blessings that are theirs in Christ and, by extension, to all Christians, the Body of Christ, at all times and in every place wherever they may be.

Verse 3 shows this, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.”6 Once the Christian is born again (John 3:3-7) by the washing of regeneration and the renewing of the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:4-7) they receive every spiritual blessing immediately, in Christ, who is seated in the heavenly realm at the right hand of God. Furthermore, the Christian receives the promise of eternal life and all the promises of inheritance that are associated with it, the moment that they believe and trust in Christ for salvation.

Snodgrass, in his commentary on Ephesians 1:4, said that “Individuals are not elected and then put in Christ. They are in Christ and therefore elect.”

7 Klein agrees with Snodgrass and points out that “Christ is the principal elected one, and the corporate body included in him consists of the ones God has chosen.”8 Notice that it is God choosing what those of us who are in him will receive (Eph 1:5-14). We are not chosen “to be” in him but instead that those who have repented and believed and are now “in him” are promised and predestined to an inheritance, adoption, and to be holy and without blame. In Ephesians 1, the only being in the passage that existed before the foundations of the world is Christ, the elect one.

Ephesians 1 teaches that election has positional implications which can be seen by the fact that Paul uses the words “in him” no less then eleven times in Ephesians 1 alone. Paul is showing a positional truth. Richard Beals and Earl Radmacher wrote, “When we follow Paul’s use of the expression, we discover that to be in Christ means that in a real sense the Christian has been placed, located within Christ. In Christ signifies that whatever Jesus Christ is before God the Father, the believer shares his identity, because he or she is within the Savior.”9 Shawn Lazar, in his book Chosen to Serve, wrote, “Believers are predestined insofar as they are ‘in Christ’ and so share His identity… you are not individually elected from all eternity. The group is. The Body of Christ is. And you are put ‘in Christ’ when you believe in Him.”10 We do not need to read Ephesians 1:4 to mean that God is selecting specific individuals for salvation and thereby rejecting others. It is more likely that God was determining the means by which his people will be identified as his Children.

2 Peter 3:9

“The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.”11

The idea that God chooses some for salvation and then the remainder of humanity is reprobated to hell is a doctrine that neither scripture nor logic can support.

If God is a maximumly great being, as Anselm argued for,12 then the maximumly great being must be omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent. Unless one wants to state that God is not omnibenevolent, then God, who is all-loving, must want the best for all people. This philosophical idea is supported by scripture here in 2 Peter 3:9.

Looking at the text, we see that the identity of the “any should perish” is linked to the “all” in 9b which would include any unsaved people who have not yet come to repentance. But some believe that the “any” points back to the personal pronoun “ὑμᾶς” (you) then the personal pronoun choice ὑμᾶς would point to the readers of this epistle as the “you”.

Peter is writing to them as believers whom he believes already profess salvation, but that interpretive choice would go against the “come to repentance” phrase. Michael Green, in his commentary on 2 Peter wrote that “Peter’s third refutation of the scoffers is drawn from the nature of God and has many antecedents in Jewish apocalyptic thought. It is not slowness but patience that delays the consummation of all history and holds open the door to repentant sinners, even repentant scoffers.”13 God has always been slow to anger (Exod. 34:6), and God does not wish that any should perish but wants all to be saved (1 Tim. 2:4). God is ready to show his mercy upon all (Rom. 11:32) and has no pleasure in the death of the wicked but would rather have the wicked turn from his ways and live (Ezek. 18:23). God does not plan damnation for select individuals making them reprobates but instead gives all a real opportunity to come to repentance.

Conclusion

God choosing specific individuals for salvation may sound like such a loving thing to do; after all, God is not required to save anyone. But the doctrine of individual election to salvation from before the foundations of the world leaves those who hold to it with problems that do not have answers. If God is a maximumly great being, then he would not pass over those that he has the power to save and thereby reprobate them to hell. This belief removes the omnibenevolent attribute from God and omnibenevolence is a core aspect of what makes him God.

The doctrine of election being corporate or to service provides solid biblical and philosophical answers that will positively impact the church and should be applied in the local church for three main reasons. First, it is consistent with Scripture and God being a maximumly great being. Since all theological doctrine should be derived from Scripture, we must examine every passage used to support a doctrine to see if it holds up. When we allow Scripture to interpret Scripture, we find that some of the more challenging verses get clearer. When Scripture teaches that God desires that all will be saved (1Timothy 2:4; Titus 2:11; 2 Peter 3:9) we do not have to cite “mystery” as the reason that God wants all to be saved but chooses to only save some.14

The second reason is that it will aid in evangelism and prayer. When the doctrine that only a predetermined list of people can be saved is understood and accepted by a Christian, the motivation for evangelizing can become a drudgery. Praying for the salvation of the lost can start to feel like asking God to check the reservation list and see if the person we want to come to saving faith is also the person that God wanted to save. The words of Scripture that teach us that we are to pray for the salvation of all people and take the gospel to all the world suddenly can feel like a false offer. But knowing that anyone who repents and believes in Christ will be given the gracious gift of salvation adds urgency and importance to what we as Christ-followers are called to do (Matthew 28:19-20). The corporate view of election is a conditional view where people must not reject the truth in unrighteousness but instead by placing their faith in the finished work of Jesus, they are placed in him (Ephesians 1:4) and are united with the Elect One. It removes any doubt that there are some out there who are not able to be saved.

Third, an improper view of election will influence the hermeneutics of other passages. When we presuppose the meaning of a word, like election, we unconsciously import that doctrine into other areas of Scripture. Holding to the doctrine presented here will allow verses like 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:6, 4:10, Titus 2:11, and John 3:16-17 to be read in context, and we do not have to say that “all” means “some of all nations” or “all those chosen from before the foundation of the world.” But instead, we see that God loved the whole world so much that he sent his son to die so that any who believe will not perish but have eternal life.

14The reason that not all people are saved is not a problem that those who hold to this view have not provided well researched and scripturally sound answers to. There is not space in this paper to cover the objections and challenges to this position but a considerable amount of work has been done on the subject of libertarian free will and the problem of evil. See Norman L. Geisler’s Chosen but Free (2010), Timothy A. Stratton’s Human Freedom, Divine Knowledge, and Mere Molinism: A Biblical, Historical, Theological, and Philosophical Analysis, and C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity and many other books and articles that address the subject.

1Thornhill, A. C. (2016). Election. In J. D. Barry, D. Bomar, D. R. Brown, R. Klippenstein, D. Mangum, C. Sinclair Wolcott, L. Wentz, E. Ritzema, & W. Widder (Eds.), The Lexham Bible Dictionary. Lexham Press.

2For a detailed explanation of the Calvinistic doctrine of election see Loraine Boettner’s, Reformed Doctrine of Predestination, (1991) “Unconditional election”, pp 84-140

3For more information on Traditional Southern Baptist Soteriology see Anyone Can be Saved by Eric Hankins, David Allen, and Adam Harwood, Wipf and Stock, (2016)

4The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Eph 1:4). (2016). Crossway Bibles.

5The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Eph 1:1). (2016). Crossway Bibles.

6The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Eph 1:3). (2016). Crossway Bibles.

7Snodgrass, Klyne. (1996). The NIV Application Commentary (p. 84). Zondervan, Grand Rapids, Michigan. 8Klein, W. W. (2015). The New Chosen People: A Corporate View of Election (Revised and Expanded Edition, p. 154). Wipf & Stock.

9R.S. Beals, Jr. and Earl Radmacher, Ephesians: Life and Love in Christ. Chino Valley, One Word Press, 2012, pg 6

10Shawn Lazar, Chosen to Serve, Denton, Grace Evangelical Society, 2017, Pg 204

11The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (2 Pe 3:9). (2016). Crossway Bibles.

12Garrett, J. L., Jr. (2014). Systematic Theology: Biblical, Historical, and Evangelical (Fourth Edition, Vol. 1, p. 100). Wipf & Stock. Garrett wrote that, “This is a syllogistic argument rather than an argument from effect to cause. Its first exponent, Anselm of Canterbury (1033–1109), expounded it in deductive fashion in his Proslogium. First, contended Anselm, a human being has in his mind the idea of an infinite and perfect being. Second, “[e]xistence is an attribute of perfection.” Third, an infinite and perfect Being, therefore, must exist.”

13Green, M. (1987). 2 Peter and Jude: an introduction and commentary (Vol. 18, p. 159). InterVarsity Press.
'Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love:

Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself,
according to the good pleasure of His will,
To the praise of the glory of His grace,
wherein He hath made us accepted in the beloved.'

(Eph. 1:3-6)

* How heart-stopping-ly wonderful this is, @Johann, isn't it? :)

'Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ', indeed!!

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Your imagination does not qualify as truth

That scripture applies to the regenerated elect. Regeneration is implied since #1 they could hear spiritually the word of truth and because they believed the truth which unregenerate men cannot do 1 Cor 2:14 and because they were sealed by the Spirit indicating He was already in them, for sealing is an inward work of the Spirit.

That scripture applies to the regenerated elect. Regeneration is implied since #1 they could hear spiritually the word of truth and because they believed the truth which unregenerate men cannot do 1 Cor 2:14 and because they were sealed by the Spirit indicating He was already in them, for sealing is an inward work of the Spirit.
Sorry, that is begging the question.

You assume your view based on your assumed understanding of 1 co 2:14;

Which speaks of that which is hidden in the mind of God, not the revealed gospel.

Exactly!

So, my question to you is why do you keep saying that one first believes then they are regenerated and then seal~using this verse to teach that lie?

1) Because of many verses

Regeneration by definition is the impartation of life

The following verses show faith precedes life

John 5:24 (KJV) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

John 20:31 (KJV)
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

John 5:40 (KJV)
40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Acts 11:18 (KJV)
18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

John 6:57 (KJV)
57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

Regeneration makes one a child of God. Born of God -

One is made a child of God through faith

John 1:12 (KJV)
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Galatians 3:26 (KJV)
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

John 12:36 (KJV)
36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.

Regeneration is a spiritual resurrection.

We are raised spiritually through faith

Colossians 2:12 (KJV)
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

One is born again(regenerated) through faith in gospel

James 1:18 (KJV)
18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

1 Peter 1:23 (KJV)
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

1 Corinthians 4:15 (KJV)
15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Regeneration is the mechanism of salvation

Titus 3:5 (KJV)
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Ephesians 2:5 (KJV)
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved

it is through faith we are saved

EPH 2:8 (KJV)
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Regeneration is preceded by remission of sin

Colossians 2:13 (KJV)
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

which requires both faith and repentance

Acts 10:43 (KJV)
43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Luke 24:47 (KJV)
47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

that you do not address

2) one in not in Christ until he believes

and one in Christ is made a new creation

2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV 1900) — 17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

afterall

Ephesians 1:3 (KJV 1900) — 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Your theology is to be faulted for its granting of benefits which are only in Christ to those not in Christ

A wise man once said: Inconsistency is the hallmark of error! I'll stay consistent and maintain my scriptural position

Then you should recognize your error

One more thoughts quickly: you said:

Toml: nothing is stated of them learning they had all those blessing before they believed and were included in Christ

Tom, prince and princesses are born into this world having so many earthly blessings and they have no understanding of them and of whom they really are until they hear and learn and as are able to do both. Much like every child of God whom God has made each one kings and priest, inheritors of all things.

No one is born into the world as a child of god and certainly not possessing the blessing that are in Christ

Ephesians 1:3 (KJV 1900) — 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

and your statement is not proof of your claim

Revelation 1:6​

“And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.”

We certainly did not make ourselves such as your vain theology teaches!

I'm going back and finish in order what I said above.
Talks about believers not unconditionally select men

men are not unconditionally in Christ

Ephesians 1:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

but when they believe in Christ

Sorry, that is begging the question.

You assume your view based on your assumed understanding of 1 co 2:14;

Which speaks of that which is hidden in the mind of God, not the revealed gospel.
Regeneration is implied by analogy of scripture, Its pointed out in 2 Thess 2:13-14 that regeneration or sanctification of the Spirit preceded belief of the Truth, the Gospel

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel,
to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

So likewise those who believed to the Gospel , the word of Truth in Eph 1:13, they also had been sanctified by the Spirit[regeneration] and belief of the Truth

1) Because of many verses
You are proving just how obstinate you are toward the truth.

Forget about other verses for a minute~I said clearly to you:
I was referring to Ephesians 1:13.

brightflame52 said these words to you:
Then you come back and say to him:

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

To which I said to you:
So, will the real Toml speak up and tell us~"Does Ephesians 1:13 speak of regeneration or no?"

I say no, but teaches us:
Red Baker~Please note: The word of truth is not the means of obtaining the things listed, but of learning about them.

After believing, we were given the seal and proof of our sonship, the Holy Spirit of promise, which gives internal and external evidence according to the holy scriptures~(Romans 8:14-16; Ephesians 4:30; 2nd Corinthians 1:22; 5:5).
Tom, your hand has been caught in the cookie jar~what kind of excuse will you give to the people, I heard them all before, I'm sure. But go ahead and try.

You are proving just how obstinate you are toward the truth.
No just towards your error

I stated and you did not address

John 5:24 (KJV) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.

12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

that you do not address

2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV 1900) — 17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

afterall

Your theology is to be faulted for its granting of benefits which are only in Christ to those not in Christ

Forget about other verses for a minute~I said clearly to you:

I was referring to Ephesians 1:13.
And

It shows one is included in Christ when they believe

Ephesians 1:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

which you did not disprove

brightflame52 said these words to you:
brightfame52 said:

Then you come back and say to him:

To which I said to you:

So, will the real Toml speak up and tell us~"Does Ephesians 1:13 speak of regeneration or no?"
Regeneration as i stated is not mentioned

Brightfame 52 presummed it to be before faith

So of course I note it is not in the verse

and he offers no proof for regenerqation being before faith

which of course would be contrary to

I say no, but teaches us:

Tom, your hand has been caught in the cookie jar~what kind of excuse will you give to the people, I heard them all before, I'm sure. But go ahead and try.
sorry but you simply do not know what you are talking about

as i point out two argument refuting yoiur position

The versesd I qwuoted which you did not address and

eph 1;3

and while regeneration is not noted in a sequence in Eph 1:13

from the other verses I quoted and from eph 1:3 and addition from the argument I present how one who is in christ is a new creation all point to the fact faith preceeds regeneration

I can not help it if you do not understand the argument

maybe you need to address those verses you want me to forget about and address Eph 1:3 and 1:13

No just towards your error

I stated and you did not address

I have address this before, more than once, where I said...... yes, that regeneration is by definition is the impartation of life~but I didn't stop there where you are stopping ~ I also added, that by definition life means a person has ability to both hear, and see, but "not" until then!

All the words above in your post is nothing more than a multitude of words that's doing nothing more than diverting good people's attention away from the truth by you just repeating the same verbiage (or, should I say garbage) over and over again, showing you do not have the ability to dialogue in a manner where others can learn.

Tom, one could take much time again to refute all the good verses you are using, showing your are either playing with sound bites, or, you just do not have the gift to practice reading the scriptures distinctly, and then giving them their proper sense so other can hear and learn.

Nehemiah 8:8​

“So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.”

No one will learn under men like you, no one.

I have address this before, more than once, where I said...... yes, that regeneration is by definition is the impartation of life~but I didn't stop there where you are stopping ~ I also added, that by definition life means a person has ability to both hear, and see, but "not" until then!
You first problem that was just one argument there were in fact multiple

Your second problem in every case life did not exist or could not exist without faith

Your third problem is the multiplicity of verses often posted showing the ability to see and hear apart from regeneration

All the words above in your post is nothing more than a multitude of words that's doing nothing more than diverting good people's attention away from the truth by you just repeating the same verbiage (or, should I say garbage) over and over again, showing you do not have the ability to dialogue in a manner where others can learn.
This is not exegesis. This is not addressing argumentation. This is diversion and nothing else

Tom, one could take much time again to refute all the good verses you are using, showing your are either playing with sound bites, or, you just do not have the gift to practice reading the scriptures distinctly, and then giving them their proper sense so other can hear and learn.
More diversion

Why don't you actually do so

Nehemiah 8:8​

“So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.”

No one will learn under men like you, no one.
Still not addressing anything below

that you do not address

afterall

Why?

Verse 3 shows this, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.”6 Once the Christian is born again (John 3:3-7) by the washing of regeneration and the renewing of the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:4-7) they receive every spiritual blessing immediately, in Christ, who is seated in the heavenly realm at the right hand of God. Furthermore, the Christian receives the promise of eternal life and all the promises of inheritance that are associated with it, the moment that they believe and trust in Christ for salvation.
Highlighted area are mine for discussion~RB.

The new birth is main spiritual blessing given freely by grace, secured by two immutable acts of God~His oath promises of grace to regenerate them into the family of Jesus Christ. An act that would have been otherwise impossible~yet, the writer said ONCE the Christian is born again, then they received every spiritual blessings,......that is false, because it makes the spiritual blessings conditional based upon the sinner coming to Christ in their own power, etc.

Hebrews 6:13-18~"For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself, Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee. And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise. For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife. Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation."

Again, in Abraham son Isaac we see this truth even plainer:

Galatians 4:21-31~"Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? (or any law that said: "do this and live, sin and die"~RB)

For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free."

Without a miracle of grace Isaac would not have been born, for Sarah's womb was dead! The same is true of all of God's children, without God's oath and promise of showing mercy to them and regenerating each one of them by his power, they would not have been born again, impossible. Paul chose the perfect analogy, through the inspiration of God. Does anyone desire to attempt to try to refute this? I think not.

What did Isaac do in order to be born? Name one thing. All concerning Abraham and his son Isaac, was an act of pure mercy to him, and to his seed after him~That is, the spiritual seed promised to Jesus Christ. All spiritual blessings were secured by two immutable acts of God, period. Not one things depended on Isaac. The spiritual seed of Jesus Christ were elected by God, and given to Jesus Christ before the foundation of this world, before they had done any good or evil. God swear by Himself, because there was no greater to swear by! I can hold fast to all of the promises/blessings of grace, knowing that it will be perfectly kept, not one will be missing in that day.

Highlighted area are mine for discussion~RB.

The new birth is main spiritual blessing given freely by grace, secured by two immutable acts of God~His oath promises of grace to regenerate them into the family of Jesus Christ. An act that would have been otherwise impossible~yet, the writer said ONCE the Christian is born again, then they received every spiritual blessings,......that is false, because it makes the spiritual blessings conditional based upon the sinner coming to Christ in their own power, etc.
If the new birth is a spiritual blessing and all spiritual blessings are in Christ regeneration cannot transpire apart from being in Christ

Your theology teaches regeneration transpires previous to someone being in Christ

Your theology is therefore in error

What did Isaac do in order to be born? Name one thing.
You're going the WRONG direction with this. Somebody had to do something and it was Abraham who chose (eventually) to walk by FAITH for this . If he didn't walk in FAITH for this it wouldn't have happened. See Romans 4: 18,25

Back
Top Bottom