Ephesians 1:4 Explained

It's an assumption not borne out in scripture

One is born again(regenerated) through faith in gospel

James 1:18 (KJV)
18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

1 Peter 1:23 (KJV)
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

1 Corinthians 4:15 (KJV)
15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
its an analogy, Isaacs physical birth by and through Abraham and Sarah who were naturally incapable of such a birth, showed how his birth was totally due to the power and promise of God, so much so its liken to being born after the Spirit to picture the New Birth of Abrahams Spiritual Seed to be born by the promise and power of God Gal 4:28-29

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

Now every believer became so by the power and promise of God to Abraham as Isaac did. Now whose will was it for Isaac to be an Heir ? Read carefully now Gen 15 4

And, behold, the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.

its an analogy, Isaacs physical birth by and through Abraham and Sarah who were naturally incapable of such a birth, showed how his birth was totally due to the power and promise of God, so much so its liken to being born after the Spirit to picture the New Birth of Abrahams Spiritual Seed to be born by the promise and power of God Gal 4:28-29

29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

Now every believer became so by the power and promise of God to Abraham as Isaac did. Now whose will was it for Isaac to be an Heir ? Read carefully now Gen 15 4

And, behold, the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.

18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

If the new birth is a spiritual blessing and all spiritual blessings are in Christ regeneration cannot transpire apart from being in Christ

Your theology teaches regeneration transpires previous to someone being in Christ

Your theology is therefore in error
Tom, I still desire to complete my desire answering the OP, yet, I think that's an impossibility with folks like you not allowing it.

There's no if's about whether or not one's new birth is the part many promises of the New Covenants with all the spiritual blessings attached to it.

Hebrews 8:6-12~"But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: (Jews and Gentiles~RB) Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

Tom, do we need to spend time here, or, is it clear, the new covenant is a covenant built upon better promises than the one given to Adam and Eve (and all their posterity) and then to Israel in a written form, summed up under two tables. For sake of time let us go directly to the NT and let Peter tell us.

1st Peter 1:2-3~"Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,"

Election of grace is according to God's foreknowledge of knowing that unless he elects some, then none would ever come to the knowledge of the truth on their own~which Hebrews 8 support with the words: "For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them" Flesh and blood incapable of fulfilling the law by their own will and power!

Through sanctification of the Spirit.​

Here we see Holy Spirit consecration of us by the Father’s election unto the Son’s obedience. God planned and chose us in Christ before the world began for us to be holy (Ephesians 1:3-6). It is this sense of eternal sanctification that Jude applied to God the Father (Jude 1:1). God chose Jesus for our sanctification, and He chose us in Him, by grace (I Cor 1:30-31). The Holy Spirit set us apart, consecrated us, dedicated us, to the death of Jesus Christ. This is God the Father by the Holy Ghost making us holy by Jesus Christ (Heb 10:10-14).

Unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ.​

This phrase should not be very difficult, but men are tempted to put their own works into it. The preposition unto marks the objective for which God elected Jewish strangers and us! The prepositional phrase of Jesus Christ modifies obedience and sprinkling of His blood. Thus … unto obedience of Jesus Christ and unto sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ.

As Adam’s disobedience made you a sinner, even so Christ’s obedience made you righteous. The doctrine of representation, or federal headship, is crucial to salvation (Rom 5:12-19). Adam’s guilt and condemnation apply to all in him, so Christ’s salvation to all in Him. How do any get in Adam? By God’s choice! How do any get in Christ? By God’s choice! This is the main argument – election in Jesus Christ – just like Paul elsewhere (Ephesians 1:3-6). Jesus obeyed in going to the cross for death, and we get that obedience also (Hebrews 5:7-10). Jesus obeyed the Law and His Father perfectly, and we get that obedience (2nd Corinthians 5:21).

Obedience … by election … and put before Christ’s blood cannot be man’s obedience.

This is the all important obedience of Jesus Christ in fulfilling the law and dying for us.

The new covenant of grace involves sprinkling Jesus’ blood (He 12:24; 13:20; 10:19,29). It is wrong to insert man’s obedience and/or man’s sprinkling of Christ’s blood, for there is no mention of man in the text nor any reason at all to introduce him! The use of prepositions through and unto in this compound clause refer to ordo salutis.

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.​

If God elected us, especially involving His Son’s death, He will freely give all (Romans 8:32).

Part one of two....Verse three is next to add proof that regeneration is part of the New Covenant of grace.

If the new birth is a spiritual blessing and all spiritual blessings are in Christ regeneration cannot transpire apart from being in Christ

Your theology teaches regeneration transpires previous to someone being in Christ

Your theology is therefore in error
Let me add this before considering 1st Peter 1:2.

You said: "Your theology teaches regeneration transpires previous to someone being in Christ" I have never said that, that's your take. All of God's elect were chosen IN CHRIST from before the foundation of the world. Regeneration is a time event. A time event secured by Jesus Christ's obedience and righteousness. Moving on to 1st Peter 1:3.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.​

To bless God is to praise and worship Him for His attributes and give thanks for His mercies. God’s mercies should elicit such blessing from our lips giving Him praise (Ps 103:1-5).

Almighty God is both the God and the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ in His single Person. If God is Father of Jesus, and we are joint-heirs with Christ, then God is also our Father. God is the God of all men as Creator and Sovereign divine Ruler, but Father only to few. God is the God of Jesus Christ, but He is also His Father as begetting His only begotten.

Which according to his abundant mercy.

According to. In a manner agreeing with, consistent with, or answering to; agreeably to. Election, justification, and regeneration (the phase of salvation here) is by God’s great mercy. Grace is not unmerited favor, but rather demerited favor; and only this grace is rightly mercy.

Paul, by the same Author’s inspiration, declared regeneration to be by God’s mercy (Tit 3:5). God shows mercy only to some condemned sinners, and only by His will (Romans 9:15-16). Being born again is by God’s sovereign mercy without human cooperation (John 1:13), for man prior to regeneration as the same dead nature as the children of wrath (Ephesians 2:1-10).

The question should not be why God shows mercy only to some, but why He shows it to any. We set ourselves against our Creator in Eden, choosing the devil as our father instead, and God should leave us there, if He were only fair, just, holy, and righteous. Rather than bark against God for hating Esau, ask instead why He would ever love Jacob.

Hath begotten us again.​

In this place, God the Father is identified as Cause and Source of the vital phase of salvation. It may be assigned to the Spirit, thus showing Trinitarian participation (John 3:8; Tit 3:5). It may be assigned to the Son, showing Trinitarian participation (Jn 5:25-29; I Pet 1:23).

Our first birth was our total undoing, and it was totally without our approval or participation. God in sovereign dominion over your life and soul gave you birth to condemned parents.

In relationship to Adam, you are fully, legally guilty and condemned for his sin in Eden. In relationship to Adam, you are totally depraved – a hateful rebel of God, a lover of sin. In this condition by nature only, a child of wrath (Eph 2:1-3).

Being born again saves us from a state of total depravity in which our first nature thrives.

Here is the doctrine of a second birth, which Jesus declared for the first time to Nicodemus. It is this second birth of a new nature in us that makes us a new creation (John 1:12).

Peter passed from our birth as sons of God to receiving His inheritance as His own sons. Only sons get the inheritance; bastards have no part or lot with legitimate, rightful sons.

This act is called quickening, regeneration, born again, resurrection, John 1:13, the deathbed text of one John Bunyan, clearly enough deals with four means of it.
  1. It is not of blood, for God does not care about family or ancestors (Matthew 3:9; Romans 9:6-13).
  2. It is not the will of the flesh, for before regeneration man cannot and will not please God.
  3. It is not the will of man, for no other person like parents or godparents can assist you.
  4. It is of God, and He regenerates when and whom He will (John 3:8; 5:21; Romans 9:15-16).

Unto a lively hope.​

Peter connects the preparatory work of God with the practical result in man, thus 1:2-5 may be compared to 1:20-21 … with predestination, glory after resurrection, and faith and hope.

It is a travesty that a false teacher like Joel Osteen can write book, Your Best Life Now, which is a total lie except for reprobates and have it read by millions of carnal Christians.

Regeneration is not the lively hope, but it prepares and brings men to obtain hope in Christ.

The gospel includes the wonderful message of future events for a believer’s great benefit. Much more could be said, but enough on this for now.

By the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.​

The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ is the guarantee, illustration, and object of our hope. Jesus told His disciples, “Because I live, ye shall live also” (John 14:19). He is our Life. Jesus Christ is very much alive, which is the basis of our hope being lively (Revelation 1:18).

The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ is one of the most important facts of the true gospel. Without His resurrection, we are still damned in our sins (Romans 4:25; Ist Corinthians 15:12-18). Without His resurrection, there is no evidence for our own resurrection (Ist Corinthians 15:20-26). Without His resurrection, self-denial and suffering turn our faith into misery (Ist Corinthians 15:19).

The most important truth concerning the resurrection of Jesus Christ is this: Legally when the Lord died, we died with him; when he arose, legally we arose with him, where ne now sits, legally so do each one of God's elect, past, present and future as far as God views them.

Ephesians 2:4-7~"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

So many spiritual blessings secured by Jesus Christ for us in the new Covenant, including our new birth, which should be a given to those with understanding.

You're going the WRONG direction with this. Somebody had to do something and it was Abraham who chose (eventually) to walk by FAITH for this . If he didn't walk in FAITH for this it wouldn't have happened. See Romans 4: 18,25
I'll come back and address this later.

You're going the WRONG direction with this. Somebody had to do something and it was Abraham who chose (eventually) to walk by FAITH for this . If he didn't walk in FAITH for this it wouldn't have happened. See Romans 4: 18,25
Red highlighted area are mine for discussion.

1. "You're going the WRONG direction with this."~Rockson, I'm going the way of the scriptures, and the only way possibly for the perfect analogy used by Paul is to be understood, to teach that each and every child of God are a child of promise that would be born according to God's oath and promises which would be born of the Spirit of God apart from the works (energy) of the flesh, (Abraham and Sarah, remember..... she laugh at the promise in her heart, after all, her womb was dead) or even the will of man ~ Abraham was more than willing to let Ismael be the son of promised showing his lack of faith in God's promises. You should know the references, but would provide if needed.

2. "Somebody had to do something"~Rockson that someone was God, period!
“It is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bond-maid the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bond-woman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.” — Galatians 4:22, 23.

Abraham had two sons. Ishmael and Isaac were beyond all dispute sons of Abraham. Yet, one of them inherited the covenant blessing, and the other was simply a prosperous man of the world. See how close these two were together! They were born in the same society, called the same great patriarch “father,” and sojourned in the same encampment with him. Yet, Ishmael was a stranger to the covenant, while Isaac was the heir of the promise. How little is there in blood and birth! A more remarkable instance than this happened a little afterwards; for Esau and Jacob were born of the same mother, at the same birth, yet is it written, “Jacob have I loved, and Esau have I hated.” One became gracious, and the other profane. So closely may two come together, and yet so widely may they be separated! Verily, it is not only that two shall be in one bed, and the one shall be taken, and the other left; but, two shall come into the world at the same moment, and yet one of them will take up his inheritance with God, and the other will for a morsel of meat sell his birthright and think nothing about it. We may be in the same church, baptized in the same water, seated at the same communion table, singing the same psalm, and offering the same prayer; and yet we may be of two races as opposed as the seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent. Abraham’s two sons are declared by Paul to be the types of two races of men, who are much alike, and yet widely differ. They are unlike in their origin. They were both sons of Abraham; but Ishmael, the child of Hagar,was the offspring of Abraham upon ordinary conditions: he was born after the flesh. Isaac, the son of Sarah, was not born by the strength of nature; for his father was more than a hundred years old, and his mother was long past age. He was given to his parents by the Lord, and was born according to the promise of God. This is a grave distinction, and it marks off the true child of God from him “

Mark well the difference between the two seeds, from their very beginning. Ishmael comes of man, and by man. Isaac comes by God’s promise. Ishmael is the child of Abraham’s flesh. Isaac is Abraham’s child, too; out then the power of God comes in, and from the weakness of his parents it is made clear that he is of the Lord, — a gift according to promise. True faith is assuredly the act of the man who believes; true repentance is the act of the man who repents; yet both faith and repentance may with unquestionable correctness be described as the work of God, even as Isaac is the son of Abraham and Sarah, and yet he is still more the gift of God.

The Lord our God, who bids us believe, also enables us to believe. All that we do acceptably the Lord worketh in us; yea, the very will to do it is of his working. No religion is worth anything which is not essentially the outflow of the man’s own heart; and yet it must beyond question be the work of the Holy Ghost who dwells within him.

O friend, if what you are trusting in is natural, and only natural, it will not save you! The inward work must be supernatural; it must come of God, or it will miss the covenant blessing. A gracious life will be your own, even as Isaac was truly the child of Abraham; but still more it will be of God; for “Salvation is of the Lord.” That is, salvation from sin and condemnation. Our practically salvation is of the energy of the new man as we put him on. amd put off the old man.

3. See Romans 4: 18,25. Not sure why you desire for me to see Romans 4:25

Romans 4:25​

“Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.”

Who was delivered for our offences.

Paul wrote this epistle primarily to Romans saints, and this should be remembered (1:1-15). Faith identifies us as God’s elect and sheep for whom Jesus died (John 10:26-29; Ac 13:48). Here is legal justification – Jesus died and finished the payment for our sins to God’s justice.

And was raised again for our justification.

Here is legal justification – Jesus died and rose to secure righteousness for us before God.

If He had not risen from the dead, the condemning guilt of our sins must have been too much. If He had not risen from the dead, He could not have offered Himself to God (Heb 9:14). If He had not risen from the dead, He could not have appeared in heaven for us (Heb 9:24). If He had not risen from the dead, we are still condemned in our sins (I Cor 15:12-18).

Looking at verse 25, should prove to all who think they must do this, or that, etc. before they can be considered born again is terribly wrong. and why they cannot see this, is beyond me, if I did not have the scriptures to reveal to me why such men seek to be accepted by their own works of the flesh. They are following Esau.

An analogy scripture does not advance

Let me add this before considering 1st Peter 1:2.

You said: "Your theology teaches regeneration transpires previous to someone being in Christ" I have never said that, that's your take. All of God's elect were chosen IN CHRIST from before the foundation of the world. Regeneration is a time event. A time event secured by Jesus Christ's obedience and righteousness. Moving on to 1st Peter 1:3.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.​

To bless God is to praise and worship Him for His attributes and give thanks for His mercies. God’s mercies should elicit such blessing from our lips giving Him praise (Ps 103:1-5).

Almighty God is both the God and the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ in His single Person. If God is Father of Jesus, and we are joint-heirs with Christ, then God is also our Father. God is the God of all men as Creator and Sovereign divine Ruler, but Father only to few. God is the God of Jesus Christ, but He is also His Father as begetting His only begotten.

Which according to his abundant mercy.

According to. In a manner agreeing with, consistent with, or answering to; agreeably to. Election, justification, and regeneration (the phase of salvation here) is by God’s great mercy. Grace is not unmerited favor, but rather demerited favor; and only this grace is rightly mercy.

Paul, by the same Author’s inspiration, declared regeneration to be by God’s mercy (Tit 3:5). God shows mercy only to some condemned sinners, and only by His will (Romans 9:15-16). Being born again is by God’s sovereign mercy without human cooperation (John 1:13), for man prior to regeneration as the same dead nature as the children of wrath (Ephesians 2:1-10).

The question should not be why God shows mercy only to some, but why He shows it to any. We set ourselves against our Creator in Eden, choosing the devil as our father instead, and God should leave us there, if He were only fair, just, holy, and righteous. Rather than bark against God for hating Esau, ask instead why He would ever love Jacob.

Hath begotten us again.​

In this place, God the Father is identified as Cause and Source of the vital phase of salvation. It may be assigned to the Spirit, thus showing Trinitarian participation (John 3:8; Tit 3:5). It may be assigned to the Son, showing Trinitarian participation (Jn 5:25-29; I Pet 1:23).

Our first birth was our total undoing, and it was totally without our approval or participation. God in sovereign dominion over your life and soul gave you birth to condemned parents.

In relationship to Adam, you are fully, legally guilty and condemned for his sin in Eden. In relationship to Adam, you are totally depraved – a hateful rebel of God, a lover of sin. In this condition by nature only, a child of wrath (Eph 2:1-3).

Being born again saves us from a state of total depravity in which our first nature thrives.

Here is the doctrine of a second birth, which Jesus declared for the first time to Nicodemus. It is this second birth of a new nature in us that makes us a new creation (John 1:12).

Peter passed from our birth as sons of God to receiving His inheritance as His own sons. Only sons get the inheritance; bastards have no part or lot with legitimate, rightful sons.

This act is called quickening, regeneration, born again, resurrection, John 1:13, the deathbed text of one John Bunyan, clearly enough deals with four means of it.
  1. It is not of blood, for God does not care about family or ancestors (Matthew 3:9; Romans 9:6-13).
  2. It is not the will of the flesh, for before regeneration man cannot and will not please God.
  3. It is not the will of man, for no other person like parents or godparents can assist you.
  4. It is of God, and He regenerates when and whom He will (John 3:8; 5:21; Romans 9:15-16).

Unto a lively hope.​

Peter connects the preparatory work of God with the practical result in man, thus 1:2-5 may be compared to 1:20-21 … with predestination, glory after resurrection, and faith and hope.

It is a travesty that a false teacher like Joel Osteen can write book, Your Best Life Now, which is a total lie except for reprobates and have it read by millions of carnal Christians.

Regeneration is not the lively hope, but it prepares and brings men to obtain hope in Christ.

The gospel includes the wonderful message of future events for a believer’s great benefit. Much more could be said, but enough on this for now.

By the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.​

The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ is the guarantee, illustration, and object of our hope. Jesus told His disciples, “Because I live, ye shall live also” (John 14:19). He is our Life. Jesus Christ is very much alive, which is the basis of our hope being lively (Revelation 1:18).

The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ is one of the most important facts of the true gospel. Without His resurrection, we are still damned in our sins (Romans 4:25; Ist Corinthians 15:12-18). Without His resurrection, there is no evidence for our own resurrection (Ist Corinthians 15:20-26). Without His resurrection, self-denial and suffering turn our faith into misery (Ist Corinthians 15:19).

The most important truth concerning the resurrection of Jesus Christ is this: Legally when the Lord died, we died with him; when he arose, legally we arose with him, where ne now sits, legally so do each one of God's elect, past, present and future as far as God views them.

Ephesians 2:4-7~"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

So many spiritual blessings secured by Jesus Christ for us in the new Covenant, including our new birth, which should be a given to those with understanding.
sorry you cannot be in Christ in eternity

Romans 16:7 (KJV 1900) — 7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

as then it would be impossible one was in Christ before another

and most importantly

one is not in Christ until he trusts in Christ

Ephesians 1:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

sorry you cannot be in Christ in eternity

Romans 16:7 (KJV 1900) — 7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

as then it would be impossible one was in Christ before another

and most importantly

one is not in Christ until he trusts in Christ

Ephesians 1:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
I have already addressed this why do you insist on keep posting the same scriptures after they have been scripturally answered?

Why not address the present post instead of skipping over it~where I proved that the new birth is one of the spiritual blessings secured by Jesus Christ of the covenant of grace.

An analogy scripture does not advance

It was an analogy !

It was an analogy !
A bad one

A bad one

It was an excellent one, Gods word

It was an excellent one, Gods word
Not if you are a believer of scripture

Not if you are a believer of scripture

It was an analogy, an excellent one, by God Himself

I prefer metaphors over analogies, but they're both useful.

In a nutshell, a metaphor is descriptive, while an analogy is explanatory. Now obviously there's gonna be some overlap.

“I am the door of the sheep” John 10:7. This metaphor has several layers. Here, we, humanity, are represented by the sheep—helpless, rather foolish creatures at the mercy of a shepherd to protect them. Jesus is the door to the sheepfold, the safe haven of the sheep. He is the only way to enter into the place of protection and rest.

A poor one

Scripture does not compare physical birth with spiritual birth, as you do

A poor one

Scripture does not compare physical birth with spiritual birth, as you do

Back
Top Bottom