Ephesians 1:4 Explained

Tom, I labor to answer every post to me~Always have since I started debating on line around twenty-five years ago....... generally in detail, but, I want to first finish addressing the whole of the OP.

But briefly I will answer this one, so as to keep from anyone thinking we have no answers for we know that we do using God's word. But, we will not answer another one until we're completely finished exposing the OP for what it is....false to the core.

You asked:

What do you think? I'm the one that has said many times over, context is king, for it drives our interpretation for us. Thanks for asking, it will only serve me, not you and your corrupt work gospel which is another gospel that has the curse of God upon it according to Galatian chapter one. Let us see who the us are.

Ephesians 1:1-8~"Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus: Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:"

Tom, I never assume anything, much more than that, I do not teach anything without God's testimony supporting what I teach, and here in Ephesians 1:1-8 we have so much support, much more than you are willing to accept, pretty sure of that.

"to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus"~ The word of God is written to SAINTS, not to wicked sinners who are at enmity against the God of the holy scriptures. Can we at least agree on this one point? If not, then I'm speaking to an unreasonable person that I should not be wasting valuable time with.

So, the us is those only which are already IN CHRIST, and have been since before the foundation of the world in a eternal and legal sense. The only people in this world whereby God's grace has been showed are those that are in Christ since the foundation of the world, or in another sense which is equally true, from eternity and will be world without end.
Right here you go off the rail men are in Christ in time not eternity

Romans 16:7 (KJV 1900) — 7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
when they believe

Ephesians 1:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

nowhere do we read they were in Christ in a legal and eternal sense

you have added to scripture without justification contrary to your claim

and in fact contrary to scripture

Ephesians 2:11–12 (KJV 1900) — 11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

ye were without Christ not legally in Christ

"hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ"~The only folks in the world, past, present, and future, that are blessed of God, are those people to whom the promises of God are for, which were freely given to them in Christ before the foundation of the world, or from eternity apt. Not some spiritual blessing, but ALL~election, predestination, sanctification, and our calling and a promise that that which God has started he WILL finished totally to present us faultless before him until the day of Jesus Christ second coming.
Those promises are for those in christ. One must first be in Christ before one receives the promises

your theology gives promises to those who are not in Christ who do not even exist

Your theology is contrary to the claims all blessings are in Christ

2nd Timothy 1:9
“Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,”

Again it is in Christ those blessing are predestined not those who

were without Christ

Philippians 1:6​

“Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:”

" he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world"~God chose us, not because we were more worthy, than the next person, but according to the good pleasure of his will, according to Paul speaking under the inspiration of God. Now, you can reject that if you will, but know you are not rejecting my words but God's for I have done nothing more than quote verbatim God's word. And you truly know that I have, whether or not you will confess this to be so.
This is what God was pleased to do

1 Corinthians 1:21 (KJV 1900) — 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Yes, we were chosen in Christ, or he is the head of the elect body and the work of redemption for those elect body was given to the head, it is impossible to separate the head from the body, or the body from the head.
men who do not exist are not in Christ

men who do not believe are not in Christ

This remains the fact of the matter

"wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved" I could spend pages on this one thought~the elect were made accepted ONLY IN CHRIST, outside of Christ, it would have been impossible for us to do any work which would have contributed to our acceptance before God, impossible!
Accepted in Christ yet your theology has men accepted apart from Christ

contrary to

Ephesians 2:11–12 (KJV 1900) — 11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

"Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:" These blessed truths are hidden from most, revealed only to US, the very elect......... now, who they are, is yet to be seen, but, those that love God and his word will submit to the teachings of his word, for the most part, maybe not all at once, but, they will over time. Again, I could spend much time here, but I know that I should not.

I'll come back after a meeting and finish my post to you. I knda rushed thsi,

They became in Christ in time
Really, that's not according to the word of God. That's your doctrine based on what you desire the scripture to teach in order to support your false gospel, and false it is.

Psalms 139:13-16~"For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them."

Tom, you tell me what these scriptures are teaching~well, I know you do not know, then let me speak and I will show thee the truth of these precious scriptures.

Christ's substance were all of the elect chosen in him, placed in him, he being the head of the elect body, chosen by grace alone, and each member were written in the book of life, even when yet, there were none of them. I could spend much time here and will if you give me a reason why I should by addressing these scriptures. I'll wait on you, before I reveal much more, using my precious time, which i do not have that much to waste on folks not willing to listen.

Romans 16:7 (KJV 1900) — 7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Paul was in Christ before me and you, practically/visibly speaking. Yet, not as far as the election of grace. All were chosen at the same time eternally speaking. Vitally, all are in christ when they are born again, practically one is in Christ when they are baptized into Jesus Christ's faith/religion, per Romans 6:1-4. You are attempting to use sound bites to prove you doctrine, try to do as the servant of God have always done.

Nehemiah 8:8​

“So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.”

Coming back again after another meeting to finish. I'm still working through your first post, all others must wait.

Really, that's not according to the word of God. That's your doctrine based on what you desire the scripture to teach in order to support your false gospel, and false it is.

Um i did not write this

or this

Ephesians 1:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

or this

The wheels have fallen off your bus

and the word of God testifies against your doctrine.

Um i did not write this

or this

or this

The wheels have fallen off your bus

and the word of God testifies against your doctrine.
Notice the dodging and ignoring they were without Christ which makes it impossible to be in Christ at the same time.

Their doctrine has collapsed from the same passage.

I always say the context of any verse they use contradicts their beliefs which is why they only isolate and cherry 🍒 pick verses to form their doctrines.

Sorry you do not know what truth is for you get it not from scripture but from your own imagination and men
You not able to receive the truth. I have seen others give you the truth and you cant receive it. Some of them have took time to answer all the verses you swamp them with, and you just ignore it like they didnt even take the time. I have seen it numerous times and not just on this forum platform.

You not able to receive the truth. I have seen others give you the truth and you cant receive it. Some of them have took time to answer all the verses you swamp them with, and you just ignore it like they didnt even take the time. I have seen it numerous times and not just on this forum platform.

Your doctrine is unbiblical

Your doctrine is unbiblical

projecting again

projecting again

you never believed the gospel so who are you fooling ?

you never exercised faith in Christ as your Savior from your sins.

your doctrine is all in the head, not in the heart.

its all head games.

they honor Me with their lips but their hearts are far from Me sayeth the Lord. They worship Me in vain with the teachings of men and their rules.

Matthew 15:8-9
8 “‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules​

you never believed the gospel so who are you fooling ?

you never exercised faith in Christ as your Savior from your sins.

your doctrine is all in the head, not in the heart.

its all head games.

they honor Me with their lips but their hearts are far from Me sayeth the Lord. They worship Me in vain with the teachings of men and their rules.

Matthew 15:8-9​

8 “‘These people honor me with their lips,​

but their hearts are far from me.​

9 They worship me in vain;​

their teachings are merely human rules​

your faith is works so you are saved by your works.

your faith is works so you are saved by your works.

your faith is a work hence its no faith at all. Biblical faith is not a work,

next

your faith is a work hence its no faith at all. Biblical faith is not a work,

next

Notice the dodging and ignoring they were without Christ which makes it impossible to be in Christ at the same time.

Their doctrine has collapsed from the same passage.

I always say the context of any verse they use contradicts their beliefs which is why they only isolate and cherry 🍒 pick verses to form their doctrines.
You are being dishonest,~I'm not dodging or cherry picking, but taking scriptures as I come to them, and as they are presented to me, which is what any honest person would do. So, please practice honestly as profess Christians.

I told Tom I would answer his post, even though I wanted to finish answering the OP. So, in order, let me finish Tom's post, then finish the OP, then I will address any other post ~ no problem, (and btw, I see no problem facing me, not that no one is capable of presenting a problem to me, but I see none, and even if I did, I would seek the scriptures, for I know they will defend any person who exalts Jesus Christ's obedience and righteousness, and his death as the only means of anyone inheriting eternal life) and not only address, but will take point by point, and prove them to be in error~that's the confidence I have in the word of God and the Spirit of God working through me, as I labor to exalt Jesús Christ alone.

Last edited:
It would be wise to stay with the context here and include verse 12 with 13.

12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.​

Paul here refers to himself and the other apostles and Jews who first believed on Jesus Christ, before the Gentiles trusted.

Paul was part of those chosen by God for the praise of His glory, proven by faith in Christ. Please note: If trusting Christ were something Paul chose to do, the praise would not be to God’s glory! It is only by the electing purpose of God that any depraved men would believe or trust God.

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,​

Having identified himself and Jews as first believers, he now includes the Gentile Ephesians.

Please note: The word of truth is not the means of obtaining the things listed, but of learning about them.

The gospel of your salvation is the good news of your salvation through the revelation of God’s mystery kept secret from the foundation of the world (Rom 1:16; I Cor 1:18,24). If these Ephesians or anyone else believes the gospel, it proves predestination (Acts 13:48).

A king could seal any thing with his signet, marking it as His own, much as a notary does today in sealing a signed document or a governmental unit does by its seal.

After believing, we were given the seal and proof of our sonship, the Holy Spirit of promise, which gives internal and external evidence (Romans 8:14-16; Ephesians 4:30; 2nd Corinthians 1:22; 5:5).

This is now the second time I have addressed this one scripture for you, no more. You can keep posting it all you desire to do, but it will be to no avail, per the scriptures:

Titus 3:10​

“A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;”

Another assumption. You assume this speaks of salvation as opposed to service and the selection of a peoples who would serve as God messengers and from whom the Christ would come
Again, this has been addressed a few time. more than it should have been~but once more.

Context, Tom, context!

Romans 9:6-10~"Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed. For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son. And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac; (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)"

Paul is addressing who are and are not children of God~not one word about service in these scriptures, that is force into them by wicked men who hate the truth that salvation from sin and condemnation is totally by God's elections of pure grace according to the good pleasure of his will.

In the preceding verse the Apostle had shown that there was a difference among Israelites; now he refers to a difference in the seed of Abraham. The error of the Jews was, that they thought they were the children of God by being the children of Abraham. But in this, as the Apostle declares, they were in error. The promise to Abraham and his seed was not made to him and all his descendants in general, but to him and a particular seed. As the children of Abraham, they were all, indeed, in one sense the children of God. God says to Pharaoh with respect to them, ‘Let my son go.’ But the natural sonship was only a figure of the spiritual sonship of all believers of every nation. None but such are the spiritual seed of Abraham, whether among Jews or Gentiles.

For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sarah shall have a son.The birth of Isaac was by promise, and without a miracle it would never have taken place. But the birth of Ishmael was not by promise, but in the ordinary course of nature. Thus the children of God specially promised to Abraham were those who, according to the election of God (who had chosen Isaac in preference to Ishmael), were to come into a spiritual relation with Christ, who is emphatically the promised seed in the line of Isaac, Galatians 3:16. To them the spiritual blessings were restricted, while only the temporal advantages of the national covenant belonged to the whole of Israel.

The new birth of a elect sinner is by God's oath and promises of grace to the seed of Jesus Christ based upon what he did for them in the body of his flesh. There is absoultely nothing in these verses, or Galatians 4, which goes perfectly with Romans 9: 6-10 concerning service~any honest person seeking truth, truly knows this, only men whose hearts is bent to corrupt scriptures would fight against what is clearly written. Even the next few scriptures in Romans 9 would even prove it even more so, that it is speaking of mercy being shown toward whosoever God wills to show mercy. Some God hardens them by leaving them in their natural state without mercy being show toward them, others mercy is freely given to them to cause them to submit to him, not perfectly but overall considered. Enough said on thsi point.

Not of works but of faith

John 3:14–16 (KJV 1900) — 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:36 (KJV 1900) — 36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 5:24–25 (KJV 1900) — 24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. 25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

John 20:31 (KJV 1900) — 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
I have addressed these more than once, but will do so one more time, after I return, or the first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom