An Important Point about Original Sin and our Fallen Nature

The Rogue Tomato

All humans since Adam have a fallen nature.

“There is no one righteous, not even one;
11 there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.”

1. Given the above, God is under NO obligation to even OFFER salvation to anyone, let alone save us. If God lets us all go to hell for eternal punishment and suffer his wrath, that is justice. It's not hatred. It's justice.

2. Now, what if God shows mercy? Mercy is by definition compassion or forgiveness shown to someone for whom punishment or harm would normally be the just action.

3. If God shows mercy to some but not all, is God unjust? No, both the ones to whom he shows mercy and the ones to whom he shows no mercy are deserving of His wrath.

4. But that's unfair, you may argue. If God shows mercy to some, He must show it to all, right? Wrong. See point 1, above. Nobody deserves mercy. To call God unfair, unjust, or unloving is to deny the fact that we are all fallen and come under the above scripture reference that there is no one righteous, not even one.

But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God's grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! Romans 5:15

The free gift is for all that believe. We received the free gift by faith in Jesus Christ and his finished work on the cross. God's not unfair, he paid the penalty for us. For all who believe. If you don't believe the gospel you can't blame God that's on you.

I agree with your points, but I want you to notice you are using a form of logic here, the very thing you condemned me for.

But I also want you to see that you are not addressing the full criticism of your position. It can be just and fair for God to put everyone in hell, but it also not be maximally loving to plan, enact and enforce people to go there—those are two entirely different arguments.

So in the end the Bible asked us to "not lean unto our own understanding" to harmonize two seemingly paradoxical and contradictory positions:

1. Some go to hell.

2. God desires all to be saved.

A humble heart, that leans not unto its own understanding, just accepts both truths without having to feel intellectually justified in harmonizing them.

Or do you feel you need logic after all?

I agree with your points, but I want you to notice you are using a form of logic here, the very thing you condemned me for.

But I also want you to see that you are not addressing the full criticism of your position. It can be just and fair for God to put everyone in hell, but it also not maximally loving to plan, enact and enforce people to go there—those are two entirely different arguments.

The fact that, due to our fallen nature, it is just and fair for God to put everyone in hell rules out a plan to force people to go there. We're all headed there by default.

God's plan... when He formed man from the dust of the earth He knew He would die on the cross to save us. That was the plan. He's not willing that any should perish.

2 Peter 3:9 states, “The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.”

God's plan... when He formed man from the dust of the earth He knew He would die on the cross to save us. That was the plan. He's not willing that any should perish.

2 Peter 3:9 states, “The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.”

To argue that God is “trying His best” to save all mankind, but that the majority of men will not let Him save them, is to insist that the will of the Creator is impotent, and that the will of the creature is omnipotent. To throw the blame, as many do, upon the Devil, does not remove the difficulty, for if Satan is defeating the purpose of God, then, Satan is Almighty and God is no longer the Supreme Being.

Pink, Arthur W.. The Sovereignty of God (p. 15). Digireads.com Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Nope. All humans INCLUDING ADAM have the same HUMAN NATURE Adam was created with. "Fallen nature" is a "Theological assumption". human nature never changed.
1. Given the above, God is under NO obligation to even OFFER salvation to anyone, let alone save us. If God lets us all go to hell for eternal punishment and suffer his wrath, that is justice. It's not hatred. It's justice.
TRUE statement.
2. Now, what if God shows mercy? Mercy is by definition compassion or forgiveness shown to someone for whom punishment or harm would normally be the just action.
It's called "Grace" (unmerited favor).
3. If God shows mercy to some but not all, is God unjust? No, both the ones to whom he shows mercy and the ones to whom he shows no mercy are deserving of His wrath.
TRUE statement.
4. But that's unfair, you may argue. If God shows mercy to some, He must show it to all, right? Wrong. See point 1, above. Nobody deserves mercy. To call God unfair, unjust, or unloving is to deny the fact that we are all fallen and come under the above scripture reference that there is no one righteous, not even one.
Romans 9 goes into this.

To argue that God is “trying His best” to save all mankind, but that the majority of men will not let Him save them, is to insist that the will of the Creator is impotent, and that the will of the creature is omnipotent. To throw the blame, as many do, upon the Devil, does not remove the difficulty, for if Satan is defeating the purpose of God, then, Satan is Almighty and God is no longer the Supreme Being.

Pink, Arthur W.. The Sovereignty of God (p. 15). Digireads.com Publishing. Kindle Edition.
The opportunity is there made available by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. If people choose to ignore that sacrifice, that does not make God impotent. Satan is already a defeated foe. The blood of Jesus took care of that.

The timer on the end of his evil activities was set when the Son of God walked out of the tomb (Matthew 28:7). Jesus defeated sin and death, and Satan was put on notice. Therefore, his time is short (see Revelation 12:12).

The opportunity is there made available by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. If people choose to ignore that sacrifice, that does not make God impotent. Satan is already a defeated foe. The blood of Jesus took care of that.

You just abandoned a favorite out-of-context verse of free-willers.

"This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."

If you interpret this the way free-willers want to interpret it, then A.W. Pink's statement applies perfectly.

The fact that, due to our fallen nature, it is just and fair for God to put everyone in hell rules out a plan to force people to go there. We're all headed there by default.

You are kind of skipping over the fall here.

Humanity's "default" is the garden of Eden, not the fall.

It is a free will decision that created a fallen race.

More complex logic, the thing you say in other places we can just skip and "trust in the Lord with all our heart."

This logic you posted is faulty—it is a non sequitur, the conclusion does not follow from the premises. This does not make the will of the creature omnipotent, for being allowed to reject God—that does not even remotely follow. So the creature's will suddenly has "all power" because God allows it to reject him? What kind of logic is that?!

Nor does it make the Creator "impotent" for him to allow creatures to reject him. That simply does not follow.

Is this kitten OVERPOWERING the dog in this video? As soon as you answer "no," you understand why allowing something is not being overpowered by something.

You just abandoned a favorite out-of-context verse of free-willers.

"This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."

If you interpret this the way free-willers want to interpret it, then A.W. Pink's statement applies perfectly.

Common sense alone dictates that a truly personal relationship always involves free will; insofar as one party controls the other such that the other has no real choice whether to be in the relationship or not, it is not a real relationship.

Common sense alone dictates that a truly personal relationship always involves free will; insofar as one party controls the other such that the other has no real choice whether to be in the relationship or not, it is not a real relationship.

Exactly, God deals personally with personal beings.… Grace that left no option whatever would not be grace, it would be something else. We would have to say, ‘By force were you saved, and not of yourselves.’

Hello Rogue Tomato,

Yes, to me everyone is naturally born into a world that is fallen, yet reconciled to God, because of God in Christ reconciling the world unto himself.

2 Corinthians 5:19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.

This wonderful news, because of the Lord Jesus Christ and his victory over all things, and also having died on behalf of having love for His Father and doing his will, and also loving his neighbor as himself having offered himself up as a sacrifice which because of his death, which fulfilled all the law which allowed for the material way of doing religion is shaken to the ground. (Hebrews 12). Where material was a major theme along with the history, the now new Spiritual means, are accessible to anyone who is looking towards the Living God, whom created all things. Whether a person does or not is between them and God because it's impossible to make a person have faith if they are not willing to decide to start trusting the more they hear about God, or close it out.
“There is no one righteous, not even one;
11 there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.”

Here is the Revised Standard Version,

14 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds,
there is none that does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men,
to see if there are any that act wisely,
that seek after God.
3 They have all gone astray, they are all alike corrupt;
there is none that does good,
no, not one.
4 Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers
who eat up my people as they eat bread,
and do not call upon the Lord?
5 There they shall be in great terror,
for God is with the generation of the righteous.
6 You would confound the plans of the poor,
but the Lord is his refuge.
7 O that deliverance for Israel would come out of Zion!
When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people,
Jacob shall rejoice, Israel shall be glad.
I differ with some of your comment here. God was under no obligation to even create us when you think about it, however the old testament spoke of the Lord Yeshua, and when Yahava, the God of Israel, God Almighty, sent His Son, it was for the salvation for the sins of his people.

Matthew 1:21
She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

When it comes to Hell, that is something that also has been done away with,
Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

When it comes to the Wrath of God, my association with God's wrath, which then is never mentioned again therefore, in my opinion considering the victory of Yeshua, the Son of God, the Son of Man, coming to get his bride in that day in age and establishing the heavenly kingdom which is unshakable. The Wrath of God, was poured out on the nation of Israel, for having killed His own son who was sent to save them, but as usual they decided to go chase after idols, and other gods. Today, I do not believe that God is wrathful, because of the cup being emptied out in that day in age, which allows for the reconciliation to any and all who here the spirit, and the bride which say "Come, let those who thirst come drink freely" Now today, and God is not angry any longer, because the scripture proclaims his anger shall not last forever.

Psalm 103:“The LORD is merciful and gracious, Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy. He will not always strive with us, nor will He keep His anger forever”

God did get Justice for wiping out Jerusalem in 70AD by the use of the Romans in my opinion. And God will still righteously judge each one of us when we leave this life here.
15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I have mercy, and I will show compassion to whomever I show compassion.” 16 So then, it does not depend on the person who wants it nor the one who runs, but on God who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very reason I raised you up, in order to demonstrate My power in you, and that My name might be proclaimed [c]throughout the earth.” 18 So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires.

I believe a just judgement and a fair reward is what God would give all individuals, with many callings while one is living. While I do believe there is a condemned spiritual body, and a spiritual body that is better for believers to build up here by and through praying, studying, reading, having relationship if they choose to.

I also do believe in fair and just judgement, when it comes to the misfortune of others, because all individuals out there have some type of misfortune and that is why it is good to love all people that come and go through your life, and pray for all of them, and that justice is served for those who are seeking for justice to be served rightly.
As explained earlier, I do not believe that God's wrath or his anger is still abiding on the world today because of the Begotten Son of God, Yeshua having victory over all things, and establishing the heavenly kingdom, seen in Revelation 21,22. I believe that God is going to be fair with all people. he is constantly calling out to people everything by and through the creation which is seen, sun, moon, birds, waters, stars, clouds, and by and through our consciousness, and the Bible is also something that is used to learn more things about God and the Son, and how all people are reconciled, who live now today by their sins being paid for always, just do they choose to have God in their life or not. That to me seems how God moves, he waits for us, and then he will help in what is troubling us to get us through the day, its a twoway street, of working with one another cause your Father who adopted you will take care of you, and does hear your prayers though some things dont change or arent tooken away, just remember the Grace of God is sufficient.
I do not find God's justice being unfair. God is said to give mercy as he deems fit, I do not believe God eternally punishes people forever and ever. I believe that each faithless people is resurrected however, they are given a spiritual body which may not be able to dwell in the kingdom, and that is also allow them to go live out in the darkness, outside the kingdom.

While default, I believe that in my flesh dwells no good, there is only one who is Good, and that is God, and because of Jesus, one is able to do good works which God will help you in doing when you put him first in your life. There is no one righteous by the flesh, and when a person is faithless, there may be no righteousness in sight.

I do not find God's justice being unfair. God is said to give mercy as he deems fit, I do not believe God eternally punishes people forever and ever.

This is, at least, more logically consistent, for ECT and PSA stand and fall together if one is strictly logical about it.

However, you should reconsider.

Every sin must be punished for justice to be maintained, Jesus did not die for decoration or just to show what a great guy he is.

He died for our sins—not "about" our sins, not "around" our sins, but FOR our sins, they required a punishment.

This is, at least, more logically consistent, for ECT and PSA stand and fall together if one is strictly logical about it.

However, you should reconsider.

Every sin must be punished for justice to be maintained, Jesus did not die for decoration or just to show what a great guy he is.

He died for our sins—not "about" our sins, not "around" our sins, but FOR our sins, they required a punishment.
All sin is paid for unbeliever, and believer alike. God is just and will judge and reward all people accordingly. I do not believe that God will punish people in the sense that they will also die for their sins, though if a person sins all they want to, it can lead to death. God will judge, and reward accordingly. People will go either outside the kingdom, or may have the right to enter into the gate and partake of the tree of life.

Last edited:
All sin is paid for unbeliever, and believer alike. God is just and will judge and reward all people accordingly. I do not believe that God will punish people in the sense that they will also die for their sins, though if a person sins all they want to, it can lead to death. God will judge, and reward accordingly. People will go either outside the kingdom, or may have the right to enter into the gate and partake of the tree of life.

Universalism?

Universalism?
Universal salvation is given to all people due to their sins being paid for and Jesus saves them from hell, death, satan, and his angels. That doesn't mean everyone is part of the Heavenly Kingdom, that comes by and through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Back
Top Bottom