Why was it necessary for Christ to hide truth in a parable

I didn't ask you where truth comes from. I asked you where the love of truth comes from. From where/whom do people receive the love of the truth?
It comes from them when they receive the truth.

BTW the translation of that verse varies

2 Thessalonians 2:10 (NASB 2020) — 10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not accept the love of the truth so as to be saved.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 (NIV) — 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

There are NonCalvinists who use explain this verse similar to the way Tom does. They put forth that Jesus did with hold the truth from a great many BUT NOT with the intent he would do it forever....but rather just unit Jesus went to the cross. The idea of some is that if Jesus became too popular with super great masses of people following him (that is at this early particular time) it could have hindered Jesus from going to the cross which ultimately is what he had to achieve. It's worth considering the argument by watching this 8 minute video by one Ben Hammond.

It is said to be a judgement against Israel. It also lessens their culpability. The more they hear and understand about Christ and reject, the greater and more hellish their punishment. If one knows nothing of God when one dies, one still faces punishment for sin, however, the level of culpability is much, much lower than someone who knows something, or a lot about God, but rejected anyway. If they heard, and rejected, they would be worse off. So a judgement, but also a mercy.

It is said to be a judgement against Israel. It also lessens their culpability. The more they hear and understand about Christ and reject, the greater and more hellish their punishment. If one knows nothing of God when one dies, one still faces punishment for sin, however, the level of culpability is much, much lower than someone who knows something, or a lot about God, but rejected anyway. If they heard, and rejected, they would be worse off. So a judgement, but also a mercy.
And the inclusion of the gentiles was to provoke the Jew to envy so yes there was mercy in the temporary hardening of Israel

And the inclusion of the gentiles was to provoke the Jew to envy so yes there was mercy in the temporary hardening of Israel
That mercy, as Paul said, was towards the Gentiles. In their obedience they found salvation. Through the Gentiles obedience, Israel will find mercy and salvation. (The remnant of Israel.) However, in reading about sin and punishment, it seems that there are levels to punishment, and that they are based upon how much one knows the truth of God, and rejected. The one's who know the most, the children of the kingdom who rejected, are tossed into the outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Utter torment, as they knew the truth, and missed it... and they will spend eternity living with that fact. To know the glory of God, the greatness that it is, and to reject it and be shut out for eternity. The sheer agony that is illustrated in the weeping and gnashing of teeth. For those who don't know God, don't know of His glory, their punishment will not be as severe. Still punished, but there is a special punishment for those who heard and knew the truth, but rejected.

That is why Jesus talked about how much worse it will be for Capernaum and other places, since they had the truth and rejected, but places like Sodom and Gomorrah would have repented in sackcloth and ashes if they had seen what was happening that day. Their punishment will be worse.

So... not sin.
Just read the scripture. John 9:3 "Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him."
are you ok with the Lord Jesus answer?
The stripes healing is not physical healing, but healing from sin. The stripes denote what He gained through the cross.
wounded, is a result of strips, as well as piercing of nails in the flesh. and correct this healing is from sin.
If you read John, you will find that by pierced, it means pierced. John brought up this prophecy in speaking of Jesus being pierced by the soldier's spear.
for the prophecy of Zechariah 12:10 speaks also of his piercing "And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn."

as well as none of his bones that were not broken also. John 19:36 "For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken." and it was filled, Psalms 34:20 "He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken."
No suprise that you take His name in vain.
personal opinion? .... (smile). God, it's not his NAME, but his title. JESUS/YESHUA is his Name...... (y) .....:D

101G.

That mercy, as Paul said, was towards the Gentiles. In their obedience they found salvation. Through the Gentiles obedience, Israel will find mercy and salvation. (The remnant of Israel.) However, in reading about sin and punishment, it seems that there are levels to punishment, and that they are based upon how much one knows the truth of God, and rejected. The one's who know the most, the children of the kingdom who rejected, are tossed into the outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Utter torment, as they knew the truth, and missed it... and they will spend eternity living with that fact. To know the glory of God, the greatness that it is, and to reject it and be shut out for eternity. The sheer agony that is illustrated in the weeping and gnashing of teeth. For those who don't know God, don't know of His glory, their punishment will not be as severe. Still punished, but there is a special punishment for those who heard and knew the truth, but rejected.

That is why Jesus talked about how much worse it will be for Capernaum and other places, since they had the truth and rejected, but places like Sodom and Gomorrah would have repented in sackcloth and ashes if they had seen what was happening that day. Their punishment will be worse.
Some context--

THE GENTILES CAST AWAY
In Romans 1:17 to 32 we learn how God had cast away the Gentiles. In Romans 11:1 to 33 we learn how God, centuries later, cast away the Jews. When God cast away the Gentiles (about 1900 B.C.) He began a new movement; Israel and the Jews. When God cast away Israel (about 60 A.D.) God had begun a new movement with the Gentiles. Note Ephesians 3:1—“For this cause I, Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles.”

Note the condition of the Gentiles at the time God began the new movement mentioned in Romans 11:30, Romans 11:11 and Romans 11:15.

“For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief.”

“I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles for to provoke them to jealousy.”

“For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?”

The predicament of the Gentiles at the time Paul was sent to them is told in Ephesians 2:11 and 12, Ephesians 2:2 and 3 and Ephesians 4:18. They were aliens. Aliens from Israel. Alienated from God.

Note the words of Christ to an earnest seeking Gentile—“He answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Then came she and worshipped Him, saying, Lord, help me. But He answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and cast it to dogs. And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their master’s table.” Matthew 15:24 to 27.

The Jews were lost sheep. The Gentiles were dogs. The Jews who sat in Moses’ seat were serpents. The ruler at Rome was a heathen. We know then that the world religiously and politically was corrupt when the Lord of glory came down from heaven to visit humanity.

THE LORD JESUS AND THE APOSTLE TO THE GENTILES
Note the testimony of the Apostle Paul.

“For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office.” Romans 11:13.

“And it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the temple, I was in a trance; And saw Him saying unto me, Make haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem; for they will not receive thy testimony concerning Me.” “And He said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles.” Acts 22:17, 18 and 21.

“That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:16.

Paul had orders from heaven to go to the Gentiles. He received his message for Gentiles by revelation.

“But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.” Galatians 1:11 and 12.

He wrote to the Gentiles that salvation was of the Jews. “It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.” Romans 15:27.

THE TURNING-POINT
Note the words of Paul in Acts 13:46, Acts 18:6 and Acts 28:28.

“Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the Word of God should first have been spoken to you; but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, LO, WE TURN TO THE GENTILES.”

“And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean; from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.”

“Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.”

“Lo, we turn to the Gentiles.” Do not fail to mark this in your Bible. This marks a radical change.

Note the good news for Gentiles that followed.

“AND WHEN THEY WERE COME, AND HAD GATHERED THE CHURCH TOGETHER, THEY REHEARSED ALL THAT GOD HAD DONE WITH THEM, AND HOW HE HAD OPENED THE DOOR OF FAITH UNTO THE GENTILES.” Acts 14:27.

Who opened the door of salvation to the Gentiles ? When?

Then followed the good news of Ephesians 2:19, Ephesians 2:17 and Ephesians 3:6.

“Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God.”

“And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.”

“That the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, and of the same Body, and partakers of His promise in Christ by the gospel.”

Paul’s last message was to a man who was half Jew and half Gentile, Timothy. (Acts 16:1 to 5.) Since the death of Paul and Timothy, God’s spiritual affairs have been in the hands of Gentiles; and God’s order has no longer been “to the Jew first.” The grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men.” Titus 2:11. “Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.” Colossians 3:11.

Pastor J. C. O'Hair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Thessalonians 2:10 (NASB 2020) — 10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not accept the love of the truth so as to be saved.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 (NIV) — 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

They receive the love of the truth from themselves? Bzzt. No cigar for you.

Calvinists keep thinking "receive" something means like "receive a bullet to the head."

That's not how "reception," works normally for a person, it involves a will.

Just another thought of the strange way of Calvinism. OK there's a certain group of people that perish because they refuse the love of the truth. That's why they perish. That's what the Bible teaches. And yet Calvinists claim they get a free pass for they say they didn't love the truth until God imparted irresistible grace. So if they're going to be consistent they'd say people don't really perish for they don't love the truth. They perish for some other reason. I think we'll stay with what the Bible states though.

Just another thought of the strange way of Calvinism. OK there's a certain group of people that perish because they refuse the love of the truth. That's why they perish. That's what the Bible teaches. And yet Calvinists claim they get a free pass for they say they didn't love the truth until God imparted irresistible grace. So if they're going to be consistent they'd say people don't really perish for they don't love the truth. They perish for some other reason. I think we'll stay with what the Bible states though.
Yes they were not unconditionally selected

They receive the love of the truth from themselves? Bzzt. No cigar for you.
Did you just neglect the other translations you were given

Did you just neglect the other translations you were given

Those are poor translations. The operative word is ἐδέξαντο, and it always means "receive" wherever it is used, not "accept". In this case, it is paired with οὐκ, that is. "not received". Even if you insist on the improper translation "accept", you're still stuck with the same problem. In order to accept the love of the truth, you must receive it from somewhere or someone. In this case, they rejected it when they were supposed to receive it.

So, again, from where/whom did they not receive the love of the truth (as opposed to those who accepted the love of the truth)?

And make no mistake. The Greek specifically says "the love of the truth" not "the truth". So it's not rejecting the truth, it's rejecting the LOVE of the truth.

I shall unveil the mystery for you. They perish for their sins. If you can't remember your basics, how can you look into the other things. It is not that they didn't love the truth until God imparted irresistible grace, but they could not understand the gospel or the truth. Through regeneration they come to understand, and are saved. However, without the work of God through the Holy Spirit on the spirit of the natural man, there is no understanding. As Paul said, the gospel is foolishness to those who are perishing, and the natural man cannot understand the spiritual truths. And for the greeks it was that they could not understand why a righteous man would die for anyone, when there is, in their logic, nothing to be gained by it. Utter foolishness.

I shall unveil the mystery for you. They perish for their sins. If you can't remember your basics, how can you look into the other things. It is not that they didn't love the truth until God imparted irresistible grace, but they could not understand the gospel or the truth. Through regeneration they come to understand, and are saved. However, without the work of God through the Holy Spirit on the spirit of the natural man, there is no understanding. As Paul said, the gospel is foolishness to those who are perishing, and the natural man cannot understand the spiritual truths. And for the greeks it was that they could not understand why a righteous man would die for anyone, when there is, in their logic, nothing to be gained by it. Utter foolishness.
Life -regeneration follows faith. It does not precede it

John 20:31 (ESV) — 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

I find it very amusing that this passage was picked out to disprove Calvinism, when it actually disproves "all means all" in free-willer favorite verses:

3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

All can't possibly mean all without exception if Jesus used parables to harden people so they wouldn't turn and be healed. Therefore, it must mean all without distinction, which fits the preceding context of 1 Timothy 2 perfectly.

I find it very amusing that this passage was picked out to disprove Calvinism, when it actually disproves "all means all" in free-willer favorite verses:

3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

All can't possibly mean all without exception if Jesus used parables to harden people so they wouldn't turn and be healed. Therefore, it must mean all without distinction, which fits the preceding context of 1 Timothy 2 perfectly.
Absolutely correct-

1Ti_2:4

who desires all people -- God's will that we pray for all men, for God desires all people to be saved. cf. 2Pe_3:9.

Key of verse = all men, cf. vs 1, not for just an "elect" nation of Israel. [notice THE ELECT nation of YisraEL]

come knowledge of the truth -- Refers to hearing, understanding, believing, and committing one's self to following (obeying) the gospel message. It covers all aspects of conversion Rom_10:17; Heb_11:6; Luk_24:47; Heb_5:9;

Four arguments for universal prayer to the One True God -- 1Ti_2:5-6
1) One God for all men
2) One mediator for all
3) Availability of ransom for all
4) Paul's commission to the Gentiles - cf 1Ti_2:7

J.

Life -regeneration follows faith. It does not precede it

John 20:31 (ESV) — 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
What is dead faith supposed to do?

What is dead faith supposed to do?
First do admit the unregenerate are capable of belief?

then

John 12:40 (ESV) — 40 “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, lest they see with their eyes, and understand with their heart, and turn, and I would heal them.”

D you admit had these not been blinded they could have believed and their real real as jesus would havehealed them

as for your question nothing

but the issue is the capability of belief

I gave you two examples

The first unregenerate, but they believed

the second unregenerate only because they were blinded otherwise they would have believed and their faikth alive as jesus would heal them

How can you logically deny men are incapable of belief based on those two verses?

One word temporary

and

Romans 11:23 (ESV) — 23 And even they, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God has the power to graft them in again.

Back
Top Bottom