Why was it necessary for Christ to hide truth in a parable

The only reason the disciples were given the ability to understand them is because they chose to have an ear to hear.
Wait. That isn't what Jesus said.
All the crowds could have chosen to do that too!
10 And the disciples came up and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?” 11 And [c]Jesus answered them, “To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted.

So I guess even God can be overcome simply by a person's choice?
I've seen it in many churches. Pastor preaches a great sermon and many of the people are thinking about what they're going to do the following week. They're thinking of the restaurant they're going to go to after the service! What we're going to be having a 1 1/2 hour teaching seminar!
What does this have to do with parables?
Come on nothing needs to go further then 30 minutes!
The great crowds around Jesus wanted the 20-30 minute little messages.....
Is that what they owed God? Where do we see in scripture that people believed Jesus spoke too much?
the disciples who were choosing to be just that disciplined ones wanted the seminar.
I don't remember seeing this anywhere in scripture, even by inference. Is that truly all they thought about Jesus?
They attended their hears to instructions....THEY OTHERS COULD HAVE DONE SO TOO.
If God hasn't granted it to others, how could others have done so?

I've just been pondering these verses. I won't say this for a fact but just thinking about them. I'm wondering if what we're reading here is elevated poetic language not that God is actually doing something but we use the expression today......we might say that preacher put everyone to sleep.
This is what happens when you ponder and reshape scripture to fit your beliefs. The last I checked, God hasn't assigned any man to speak on His behalf. Even the Bible is inspired, that is God breathed.
We don't mean he ACTUALLY did that. His sermon may have had many good life changing points......the thing is though even with the most exciting sermons if a person or people are soooooo worldly focused and enveloped in temporal things that THEY.....let those things take preeminence over the WORD it still could be said the preacher put them to sleep. He didn't but by their own choice they allowed themselves.... to stay blinded.
You are building a parallel argument that is anything but parallel, and anything but rational to the question at hand.
That doesn't mean they couldn't have chose to have ears to ear, Jesus cried out constantly, "He that has an ear to ear LET HIM HEAR."
Yes. That way they stand guilty at judgement day. Why didn't you listen to Jesus? They have no excuse. They can say, but you didn't let me. Yet, they still heard the words from Jesus' mouth that stood as a command. Post modern/post truth thought creates situations that have nothing to do with God. They have no affect on Him.
We say that too in current culture. We say I'm putting it out there for all and he that wants to listen to me then do so today!
That's the problem. That was yesterday. The culture is completely alien to what we understand today. Everything was about people gathering around and talking. They listened to the religious leaders of the day, and they listened to Jesus.
analogy....We see a sign on a water way....THIN ICE! It's not put out for just some....BUT for those who will listen...If we put the sign there we truly want ALL, A double LL to hear and allow it to change your direction. .
Again, this has nothing to do with the question at hand. God was clear. Jesus was clear. The disciples were blessed because God gave them the understanding. They were chosen.

Yes. However, since the opposite never comes up, one cannot make the argument you are making.

You can if you believe Christ's words.

And if you don't try to justify the non rational idea of hiding truth from one who has no capacity to believe truth.

Why? Perhaps God was showing true judgement by not only them not being able to believe, but then God shutting them out of the truth totally. Why do you believe God can't do that if He felt like it?

They would have been shut out of truth in the first place if Calvinist theology were true

A blindfold is not needed on a dead man. Hiding truth from one who has no capacity to believe truth is not rational
BTW, you just refuted your ability to argue.

No. That does work in the corrupt post modern/post truth thinking of the day, however, God didn't speak in post modern, and God is truth.
Sorry, you had clearly implied they could have believed had truth not been hidden.

Contrary to your doctrine of total inability.

Wait. That isn't what Jesus said.

10 And the disciples came up and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?” 11 And [c]Jesus answered them, “To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted.
He chose to reveal deeper things to those who chose to have a hunger and thirst for righteousness. It would have been of no avail if he would have shared it to the masses they would need to have a spirit which would stand up and pursue with diligence and perseverance in order to produce a crop in their lives. More can be said.

Actually-
Different Gospels
by Pastor J. C. O'Hair

That we may see another example of “testing the things that differ” we quote several verses of Scripture for comparison and contrast.

“THESE TWELVE JESUS SENT FORTH, AND COMMANDED THEM, SAYING, GO NOT INTO THE WAY OF THE GENTILES, AND INTO ANY CITY OF THE SAMARITANS ENTER YE NOT:

“BUT GO RATHER TO THE LOST SHEEP OF THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL.

“AND AS YE GO, PREACH, SAYING, THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS AT HAND. “HEAL THE SICK, CLEANSE THE LEPERS, RAISE THE DEAD, CAST OUT DEVILS; FREELY YE HAVE RECEIVED, FREELY GIVE,” Matthew 10:5 to 8.

“AND YE SHALL BE HATED OF ALL MEN FOR MY NAME’S SAKE: BUT HE THAT ENDURETH TO THE END SHALL BE SAVED.” Matthew 10:22.

“And they departed and went through the towns, preaching the Gospel, and healing everywhere.” Luke 9:6.“According to the glorious Gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.” I Timothy 1:11.

“Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach’s sake and thine often infirmities”. I Timothy 5:23.

“WHO HATH SAVED US, AND CALLED US WITH AN HOLY CALLING, NOT ACCORDING TO OUR WORKS, BUT ACCORDING TO HIS OWN PURPOSE AND GRACE, WHICH WAS GIVEN US IN CHRIST JESUS BEFORE THE WORLD BEGAN, “BUT IS NOW MADE MANIFEST BY THE APPEARING OF OUR SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST, WHO HATH ABOLISHED DEATH, AND HATH BROUGHT LIFE AND IMMORTALITY TO LIGHT THROUGH THE GOSPEL.” II Timothy 1:9 and 10.

The Scriptures quoted from Matthew and Luke tell us of the Gospel message and Gospel program of the twelve apostles while their King and Messiah was in their midst. The Gospel which they were commanded to preach is called, in Matthew and Luke, “the Gospel of the kingdom.” “And they departed and went through the towns, preaching the Gospel and healing everywhere”. The Gospel, was the fact that Israel’s King had arrived with kingdom blessings and national deliverance for that people, preserved and protected by the Abrahamic Covenant.

The covenants that God made with Israel guaranteed to them peaceful possession of Canaan, under the reign of the true King David. The people were to have new hearts, and enjoy temporal prosperity, and physical health. According to the 35th chapter of Isaiah, that kingdom was to be inaugurated with mighty signs, by the hands of the Messiah. Therefore, the Twelve were to say, “The kingdom of heaven is at hand.” And they were to prove it by healing the sick, raising the dead, casting out demons, cleansing the lepers. They were to be saved by enduring to the end.

After these Messengers had been proclaiming this kingdom message for two years, their Messiah told them of His death and resurrection, recorded in Luke 18:31 to 34, which would be the basis of the Gospel of the grace of God which was to be preached later on by the Apostle Paul. By reading these verses, in the eighteenth chapter of Luke, you will observe that the twelve apostles had not the slightest understanding of the things spoken by Christ concerning His death, burial and resurrection.

Let us compare the statement in Matthew 10:5, the words of the Lord Jesus to the Twelve, “Go not into the way of the Gentiles”, with the statement of the Lord Jesus to the Apostle Paul, recorded in Acts 22:21, “I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles”.

Now let us note carefully the fact in I Timothy 1:11, Paul’s words in connection with the Gospel of glory. He said, “Committed to my trust”. We should never fail to catch the significance of the “my" It does not say “our trust”. In other Scriptures Paul uses the expression, “my gospel”.

In II Timothy 2:2 we learn that Paul was committing to Timothy the Gospel and the Mystery truth which the Lord had committed to him. But Timothy did not go as did the Twelve, preaching the Gospel everywhere and healing, for he, himself, was told to take a physical remedy for his own sickness. I Timothy 5:23. And Timothy could look at Paul himself suffering with his physical infirmities and know that there had been a change in the Gospel message and Gospel program since the days of the Twelve on earth with Christ. Timothy was not instructed to preach, “the kingdom of heaven is at hand”, for it was not then at hand as it was in Matthew 10:7.

He was not proclaiming a message of national deliverance to Israel. Neither was Timothy instructed to tell any one to endure unto the end in order to be saved. He was told that they were saved not by enduring unto the end; not by any of their works; but by the grace and purpose of God given them in Christ Jesus (before the foundation of the world. II Timothy 1:9.

In the Gospel according to Luke we cannot find a message which Christ spoke directly to a single Gentile until He stood before Pilate. The Roman centurion, in the seventh chapter, received a physical blessing for His servant, because he had built a synagogue for Israel. And the elders of Israel interceded in his behalf. Luke 7:1 to 8.

In the Book of Matthew the word “grace” is not found. It is difficult in that Book to find the Gospel of the grace of God for an individual Gentile sinner. In that Book the Lord Jesus Christ was under the law with His Nation, with a ministry of confirmation, in accordance with Romans 15:8. The message of salvation is covered with so much Judaism that it takes an expert exegete to uncover it. Whereas, the message of pure grace is so clearly set forth in Paul’s Epistles to Timothy, that it seems a spiritual crime for any preacher to present the mixture of the two messages to a poor lost sinner, who must be saved by grace, and grace alone.

From this we see the importance of obeying Hebrews 6:1, which we quote:

“Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection”.

“If by grace, it is no more of works.” Romans 11:6.

GIBOLJC, to all.
First thanks for the reply, second, we suggest you read your commentary, Isaiah 53:5 "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."
or, Romans 4:25 "Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification." or, 1 Peter 2:24 "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."

this healing here is not a physical "HEALING". not another Gospel, the same one who God, the Lord Jesus preached to his Prophets, apostles, and teachers.

101G.

It is evident from 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 that the gospel of our salvation includes the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus as payment for our sins. This simple truth is the cornerstone of Christianity. Yet no where within Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John did the Twelve Apostles understand the preaching of the cross. Below are the verses that prove the Twelve were ignorant of the preaching of the cross for salvation.
Agent "J" are you serious? Listen and Learn, Acts 1:1 "The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach," Acts 1:2 "Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:" Acts 1:3 "To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:" Acts 1:4 "And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me." Acts 1:5 "For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence." Acts 1:6 "When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?" Acts 1:7 "And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power." Acts 1:8 "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."
Agent "J", just like the american express card, don't LEAVE WITHOUT IT. the Same with the Holy Spirit, .... "DON'T GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT. for U cannot witness properly without him. for it is He who Speakes and not you.

now, post resurrection, and now Empowered, do you want to see is those .... SAME .... apostles is now IGNORANT of the Cross? if so let 101G know, ok..... (smile).

101G.

GIBOLJC, to all.
First thanks for the reply, second, we suggest you read your commentary, Isaiah 53:5 "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."
or, Romans 4:25 "Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification." or, 1 Peter 2:24 "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."

this healing here is not a physical "HEALING". not another Gospel, the same one who God, the Lord Jesus preached to his Prophets, apostles, and teachers.

101G.
With you @101G -the post was from a Dispentational angle-Prophecy and Mystery-and many are against dispentational teachings, hope you are not one of them. Although there are some atrocious teachings on dispensations.
As for healing-I concur, nothing to do with physical healings as practiced In Charismatic Churches.

Shalom
J.

You shouldn't make such inferences in which backsliding is NOT the sickness Jesus is speaking of. How do we know? What comes next? Cleanse the lepers.
the HEALING and of any Sickness .... HERE .... is the result of Sin, spiritually. this term here, "HEALING", is not a Physical Healing, but a healing of a sin SICK soul. 1 Peter 2:21 "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:" 1 Peter 2:22 "Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:" 1 Peter 2:23 "Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:" 1 Peter 2:24 "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed." 1 Peter 2:25 "For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls."

yes, 101G boldly made the statement, and will continue to make it. for the term backsliding is nothing but apostasy. and being MARRIED to God, she, Israel, in apostasy, Committed adultery. now please tell 101G that adultery is ... NOT ... SIN. well your response.

now as for what you said, also,
Cleanse the lepers
that's a Physical Healing. do U know the difference?

101G.

Agent "J" are you serious? Listen and Learn, Acts 1:1 "The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach," Acts 1:2 "Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:" Acts 1:3 "To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:" Acts 1:4 "And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me." Acts 1:5 "For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence." Acts 1:6 "When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?" Acts 1:7 "And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power." Acts 1:8 "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."
Agent "J", just like the american express card, don't LEAVE WITHOUT IT. the Same with the Holy Spirit, .... "DON'T GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT. for U cannot witness properly without him. for it is He who Speakes and not you.

now, post resurrection, and now Empowered, do you want to see is those .... SAME .... apostles is now IGNORANT of the Cross? if so let 101G know, ok..... (smile).

101G.
After the resurrection of Messiah brother-I am doing my best not to bring dishonor upon the word of God.

Here is another "shocker"

Did Jesus Preach the Cross for Salvation?

Justin Johnson
Paul explains the preaching of the cross as it was given to him by Christ:

“For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.” – 1 Cor 1:17-18
Although we now know that the redemptive work of Christ’s death and resurrection is the crux of our message of salvation for today, we must be careful not to read into Jesus’ ministry what is not there.

We would search in vain for a clear presentation of the preaching of the cross in the ministry of Jesus and the disciples in Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John.

Gospel of the kingdom

Jesus did not preach his redemptive work on the cross for salvation during his ministry on earth. Instead, Jesus taught the gospel of the coming kingdom (Mark 1:14-15).

This gospel consisted of repentance from sin, doing the commandments, and seeking first the kingdom (Matt 5:19; Matt 6:33). Although these ideas are commonly recognized as good and Biblical ideas, none of them include faith in the redemptive work of Christ on the cross.

It was the specific message of the gospel of the kingdom that Jesus limited his ministry:

“And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people. “ – Matthew 4:23
Jesus even taught the disciples the same gospel of the kingdom and told them to tell others to prepare for its coming. As a sign of its imminence, he gave them power to heal the sick:

“Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases. And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick. “ – Luke 9:1-2
The first mention of the cross

When Peter revealed Jesus as the Christ, Jesus told how he would give him the keys of the kingdom. Having spent months teaching and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, Peter would be one of the most qualified for this leadership position.

However, it was not until that day that Jesus first spoke about his death, and it was a private teaching.

“From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. “ – Matthew 16:21
Even more interesting, the same Peter to whom God revealed that Jesus was the Christ was kept from the meaning of the cross. Jesus reprimanded Peter for his rebuke with the famous exclamation, ‘Get thee behind me Satan’ (Matthew 16:23).

It is evident that if Christ did not first mention his death and resurrection until more than half-way through his ministry, and even then his chief disciples were ignorant about it, that Jesus was not preaching the redemptive work of the cross for salvation.

Eternal life according to Jesus

It may be supposed that although Jesus talked a lot about the kingdom, that he still taught faith in his death on the cross for justification unto life. However, again, the Scriptures show us otherwise.

When asked how to get eternal life, Jesus responded that commandment keeping would gain righteousness worthy of life eternal in the kingdom.

“Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. “ – Matthew 19:17
In another instance John records Jesus’ words about attaining favor with God:

“He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” – John 14:21
During his popularly quoted Sermon on the Mount Jesus taught a conditional forgiveness whereby men could receive God’s forgiveness.

“For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” – Matthew 6:14-15
Instead of free justification based upon the redemptive shed blood of Christ at the cross, Jesus seems to be preaching a different message than what was revealed to Paul.

Jesus’ exclusive ministry

Instead of coming to preach the cross of Christ as Paul was sent to do (1 Cor 1:17), Paul said that Jesus came for a specific purpose – to confirm the OT promises.

“Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers” – Romans 15:8
Jesus came to a specific people, to preach a specific message, and to die a specific death. What can not be found in his exclusive ministry is salvation from the preaching of the cross.

Where Jesus sent his disciples preaching the kingdom and baptizing for admittance, Paul was sent not to baptize but to preach the cross (John 4:1, Matt 28:19, 1 Cor 1:17). Where Jesus went to a specific people, the circumcision, Paul’s ministry included every man despite their nationality or status with God.

Although we have further information about the cross of Christ, and free justification through the blood of Jesus, we must be careful not to read doctrine into Jesus earthly ministry that was not clearly revealed until later.

Even though Paul presents the gospel of Christ as the ‘power of God unto salvation’, we must remember that the gospel that Paul preached was given by revelation of Jesus after Christ’s death and resurrection (Rom 1:16, Gal 1:11-12).

Related Posts:
- The Twelve Did Not Preach the Cross
- Verse List: The Twelve Did Not Preach the Cross
- The First to Preach the Gospel
- A Gospel Without the Cross
- Why Jesus Needed to Resurrect

Thanks
J.

CALVINISTS, ARMINIANS, AND PAUL
A LOOK AT THE DEPRAVITY OF MAN

“But the scripture hath concluded all under sin,
that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ

might be given to them that believe.”

~ Galatians 3:22
Praise God!

Hello Johann,

Forgive me if I break this down a little.
1. Calvinist or Arminian
.. a. Both are products of the Reformation: neither rightly divide
.... b. Both carried on the philosophical tradition replacing Catholic scholarship
...... c. Both teach predestination, election, prevenient grace, loss of free will
........ d. Both affirm the necessary grace of God for salvation, and then teach keeping it.
.......... e. Most think the debate is about OSAS, when that is not the issue in either system
............ f. Geneva or Holland did not have the corner on Bible truth; what if we are neither
.............. g. The Bible rightly divided is our authority – 2 Tim 2:7, 2 Tim 2:23, Col 2:8
Praise God! For 'g'.
2. The Philosophical Beginning
.. a. The question of free will goes back to the Greeks and before.
.... b. Confused Christianity adds their philosophy beginning with Adam’s fall -Rom 5:12
...... c. The Bible teaches man’s depravity (all agree) – Psa 39:5, Rom 3:10
........ d. Theologians teach that men lose their ability to change their mind/ believe God
.......... e. If they are right, then God must forcibly intervene = Calvinist election is needed

3. Paul’s Account of the Fall
.. a. By one man sin entered, death was the result – Rom 5:12, Eph 2:1
.... b. Not just physical, but spiritual death and alienation – Eph 4:17-19
...... c. We read about the sinful nature of man in Romans 1-3 – Rom 1:21-28
........ d. Even the self-righteous/privileged are not exempted – Rom 2:1-3, 2:12, 2:16-24
.......... e. Man’s corruption in sin is universal - Rom 3:9-11
............ f. No one can be justified before God by any good works – Rom 3:19-22, Eph 2:8
.............. g. We sin because we are first sinners - Rom 5:12,19; 1 Cor 15:22
................ h. The old man is corrupt, and condemned before God – Eph 4:22
Praise God!
4. Knowing Good and Evil
.. a. Adam knew good and evil after the fall - Gen 2:17, 3:5, 3:22
.... b. Unsaved, unregenerate man is able to do good Rom 2:10 (but they are in Adam)
...... c. Unsaved gentiles know and do right by their conscience – Rom 2:10-15
........ d. Who is this good man? – Rom 5:7, Luke 23:50, Prov 13:22, 2 Pet 2:7
.......... e. The problem is not that we cannot choose ‘good’, it is that we are not good
............ f. People are wicked even as they try to do good (Steve Jobs) – Pro 21:27
.............. g. Paul testifies to this problem with his two natures - Romans 7:12, 14-20
................ h. The old man is corrupt and depraved, our conscience even testifies to this.
.................. i. The Bible confirms it, faith cometh by hearing… Rom 10:17, Rom 3:22
.................... j. Paul calls upon all men to change their mind and believe – Act 16:30-31, 17:30
...................... k. The Spirit is in those who preach the gospel; men hear it, trust it and are sealed.
........................ l. You were changed by the Spirit when you believe - 1 Cor 6:11, Eph 1:13

Our Motives — From Vice or Virtue?
by Thank you
Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

@101G

Acts 2:38 is Not the Preaching of the Cross

Jeremey Johnson
“Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” – Acts 2:37-38
If Acts 2:38 is the gospel that saves today, then there is no reason to preach the finished work of the cross for salvation.

After Peter condemned the men of Israel for killing Jesus, who was both Lord and Christ, many in the crowd sought deliverance from their actions. What should they do to save themselves from the wrath of God that would surely come as a result of their rejection of Christ?

Peter’s response did not include trusting the finished work of Christ on the cross. In fact, his response did not include the cross at all!

Repentance and Baptism

Peter did not preach the cross for salvation, but instead called them all to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins.

This was the same message of John the Baptist years earlier before the cross of Christ.

“John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.” – Mark 1:4
John did not baptize in the name of Jesus, but his baptism did help identify Jesus as the Son of God (John 1:31).

There was one difference to the message John preached. This water baptism was to be “in the name of Jesus Christ.”

The Name of Jesus Christ

Jesus and the disciples baptized with John’s baptism of repentance throughout their three year ministry before the cross. Except their message also included the identification of Jesus as the prophesied Christ.

“He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” – John 3:18
To be baptized meant they were receiving repentance and remission of sins in preparation for the kingdom come, but also believing that Jesus was Christ the King whom John said would come.

“And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.” – Luke 7:29
Naming Jesus of Nazareth as Israel’s Christ was the purpose of the Lord’s ministry to Israel. It was on this issue that Jesus evaluated how his ministry was being received.

“When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?” – Matthew 16:13
All of this was preached before the event of the cross. Moreover, it was preached without the disciples understanding the cross (Matt 16:21-23). The cross was not being preached as the means of salvation unto all. What was preached was the name of Jesus Christ.

The Gift of the Holy Ghost

The new thing in Peter’s message at Pentecost was the presence of the promised Holy Ghost.

Acts 2:38 adds as a consequence of being baptized with John’s baptism, and naming Jesus as the Christ, the receiving of the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The prophets spoke about the Holy Ghost (including John the Baptist – Matt 3:11). Jesus taught that the Holy Ghost would be necessary for Israel to enter their kingdom.

“Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” – John 3:5
The Holy Spirit would provide the necessary power for Israel’s new covenant to be fulfilled (Eze 36:26). As God’s purpose for Israel unfolded, Acts 2:38 was right on time, but it did not include the revelation of the mystery or the gospel of the cross.

The Missing Cross

By the time Peter preached Acts 2:38, Christ had died and resurrected, but his message was not offering the cross for salvation.

The cross was the means of condemnation. It was another link in a long chain of Israel killing their prophets, and then being called on to repent.

Time was running out for Israel, but God was still giving opportunity for them to be forgiven per request of the Lord.

“Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.” – Luke 23:34
If the preaching of the cross of Christ for salvation is the measure of salvation for today, then Acts 2:38 is not the gospel that saves today.

If Acts 2:38 is the gospel that saves today, then we do not need to understand or preach the finished work of the cross of Christ to save.

God forbid.

“For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.” – 1 Corinthians 1:17-18
Peter did not yet know what was later revealed to the apostle Paul about the cross. With a full Bible, we have no excuse today for not reading further than Acts 2:38.

Related Posts:
- Not Identified With the Holy Ghost
- Handling Gospel Transition
- The First to Preach the Gospel
- Baptism and Manifesting Christ to Israel
- Does Romans 6:3-4 Teach Water Baptism?
- The Baptism Gospel

Praise God @Complete-one question, if I may.

Are you for, or against Dispensational teachings?
It helps to define what it means since people misrepresent the doctrine.

Dispensationalists hold to a literal interpretation of the Bible as the best hermeneutic. The literal interpretation gives each word the meaning it would commonly have in everyday usage. Allowances are made for symbols, figures of speech, and types, of course. It is understood that even symbols and figurative sayings have literal meanings behind them. So, for example, when the Bible speaks of “a thousand years” in Revelation 20, dispensationalists interpret it as a literal period of 1,000 years (the dispensation of the Kingdom), since there is no compelling reason to interpret it otherwise.

There are at least two reasons why literalism is the best way to view Scripture. First, philosophically, the purpose of language itself requires that we interpret words literally. Language was given by God for the purpose of being able to communicate. Words are vessels of meaning. The second reason is biblical. Every prophecy about Jesus Christ in the Old Testament was fulfilled literally. Jesus’ birth, ministry, death, and resurrection all occurred exactly as the Old Testament predicted. The prophecies were literal. There is no non-literal fulfillment of messianic prophecies in the New Testament. This argues strongly for the literal method. If a literal interpretation is not used in studying the Scriptures, there is no objective standard by which to understand the Bible. Each person would be able to interpret the Bible as he saw fit. Biblical interpretation would devolve into “what this passage says to me” instead of “the Bible says.” Sadly, this is already the case in much of what is called Bible study today.

Dispensational theology teaches that there are two distinct peoples of God: Israel and the Church. Dispensationalists believe that salvation has always been by grace through faith alone—in God in the Old Testament and specifically in God the Son in the New Testament. Dispensationalists hold that the Church has not replaced Israel in God’s program and that the Old Testament promises to Israel have not been transferred to the Church. Dispensationalism teaches that the promises God made to Israel in the Old Testament (for land, many descendants, and blessings) will be ultimately fulfilled in the 1000-year period spoken of in Revelation 20. Dispensationalists believe that, just as God is in this age focusing His attention on the Church, He will again in the future focus His attention on Israel (see Romans 9–11 and Daniel 9:24).

Dispensationalists understand the Bible to be organized into seven dispensations: Innocence (Genesis 1:1—3:7), Conscience (Genesis 3:8—8:22), Human Government (Genesis 9:1—11:32), Promise (Genesis 12:1Exodus 19:25), Law (Exodus 20:1Acts 2:4), Grace (Acts 2:4Revelation 20:3), and the Millennial Kingdom (Revelation 20:4–6). Again, these dispensations are not paths to salvation, but manners in which God relates to man. Each dispensation includes a recognizable pattern of how God worked with people living in the dispensation. That pattern is 1) a responsibility, 2) a failure, 3) a judgment, and 4) grace to move on.

Dispensationalism, as a system, results in a premillennial interpretation of Christ’s second coming and usually a pretribulational interpretation of the rapture. To summarize, dispensationalism is a theological system that emphasizes the literal interpretation of Bible prophecy, recognizes a distinction between Israel and the Church, and organizes the Bible into different dispensations or administrations.got?

hope this helps !!!

I've just been pondering these verses. I won't say this for a fact but just thinking about them. I'm wondering if what we're reading here is elevated poetic language not that God is actually doing something but we use the expression today......we might say that preacher put everyone to sleep.

We don't mean he ACTUALLY did that. His sermon may have had many good life changing points......the thing is though even with the most exciting sermons if a person or people are soooooo worldly focused and enveloped in temporal things that THEY.....let those things take preeminence over the WORD it still could be said the preacher put them to sleep. He didn't but by their own choice they allowed themselves.... to stay blinded.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have chose to have ears to ear, Jesus cried out constantly, "He that has an ear to ear LET HIM HEAR." We say that too in current culture. We say I'm putting it out there for all and he that wants to listen to me then do so today! analogy....We see a sign on a water way....THIN ICE! It's not put out for just some....BUT for those who will listen...If we put the sign there we truly want ALL, A double LL to hear and allow it to change your direction. .
Oh how TRUE. 101G made this same mistake, a many, many, many years ago. before. one day, my wife was listening to TBN, and she asked me to come and watch, there was a prophet on that caught her attention. me, my mind set was, "Here is another preacher begging for money". so I came, just because my wife asked, but I was not interested in what this prophet was saying. I was just waiting for the prophet to start begging for money. so politely, I asked my wife to tape it. well, a few days later, the Spirit prompted me to view the recording, at first, I resisted. but I said, so what, but this time I listen, (remember as you said, "Those who have ears to hear"). there was a lot of INFORMATION presented that I didn't hear the first time around. so, this time I listen in earnest, and what revelation this prophet had...... and they were bible based. so I put the remote down, (because I was waiting for the begging for money, and ended it). but the prophet never begged for money as I can remember. so I gave my undivided attention to what the person was saying and was blessed with some KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING that I was UNAWARE of before.

but God taught me a Lesson. A. Every sermon is not always for the Masses. it could be just for ONE individual. B. Ignore what you expect to hear and open your heart instead of just only your ears. because you just might miss a revelation, and or a good teaching that may help one to live better.

so, true, one must have "EARS", as well as "HEARTS" to hear.

101G.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom