The work of God is for YOU TO BELIEVE

A person who was a Calvinist for over 40 years might indeed be in a place where he has pretty much seen it all. Perhaps not but perhaps they have. Not necessarily an invalid claim. And you use extremely strong terms like slander and berate Calvin's writings. Is there not anything in you which will acknowledge one had a right to test out his beliefs and challenge them if need be? Sorry but you don't have to claim people are not of a noble in good character in doing this. I suggest the Bible would call it wisdom.
There is one expression some Calvinists use when they're backed into a corner defending their doctrine. And that expression is "You just don't understand Calvinism". I know that it's also used by non Calvinist to mock Calvinist.

@civic Most certainly does understand Calvinism. He knows what he's talking about.

@Biblelesson seems to also understand Calvinism. Plus I like the way he presents his views without putting other people down. Actually I think that's the whole point of this forum.

There is one expression some Calvinists use when they're backed into a corner defending their doctrine. And that expression is "You just don't understand Calvinism". I know that it's also used by non Calvinist to mock Calvinist.

@civic Most certainly does understand Calvinism. He knows what he's talking about.

@Biblelesson seems to also understand Calvinism. Plus I like the way he presents his views without putting other people down. Actually I think that's the whole point of this forum.
I certainly concur-@Biblelesson most certainly presents his views without letting others down.

Guess we are going to see who are the sheep and who are the goats in the day of Judgement since a person who was "ensnared" over 40 years in Calvinism MUST be relatively new in the faith, having to unlearn and relearn. That is common sense.

And last time I've checked Scripture declares there is No one good, no, not one.
Johann.
My bible tells me that I'm the righteousness of God in Jesus Christ.

I am the righteousness of God—I have right standing with Him—in Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).

My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit; I belong to Him (1 Corinthians 6:19).

My bible tells me that I'm the righteousness of God in Jesus Christ.

I am the righteousness of God—I have right standing with Him—in Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).

My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit; I belong to Him (1 Corinthians 6:19).

Christian Doctrine of Sin:

Universal Sinfulness: Christian theology asserts that all humans, including believers, are inherently sinful. Romans 3:23 states, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

Justification and Sanctification: Believers are justified (declared righteous) through faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 5:1). Sanctification is the process by which believers are gradually made holy through the work of the Holy Spirit (1 Thessalonians 4:3-4).

New Creation: In Christ, believers are considered a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17), indicating a transformative process that aims to make them more like Christ, who is the ultimate standard of goodness.
Good Works as Evidence:

Fruit of the Spirit: Believers are expected to exhibit the fruit of the Spirit, such as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).

Faith and Works: James 2:26 emphasizes that faith without works is dead, suggesting that genuine faith should produce good works as evidence of a believer's transformation.
Moral Perspective
Relative Goodness:

Moral Improvement: Many believers strive to live moral and ethical lives based on the teachings of their faith. This often includes acts of kindness, charity, honesty, and integrity.

Moral Failings: Despite these efforts, believers, like all humans, can and do fail morally. They may struggle with sin and shortcomings, but ideally, they seek repentance and growth.

Comparison with Non-Believers:

Common Moral Standards: Many of the moral principles upheld by believers, such as honesty, compassion, and justice, are also valued by non-believers.
Therefore, "goodness" is not exclusive to believers.

Influence of Faith: For many believers, their faith provides a strong motivation and framework for pursuing moral and ethical behavior.
Sociological Perspective
Community and Support:

Positive Influence: Being part of a faith community can provide support, accountability, and encouragement to live morally upright lives.
Social Engagement: Believers often engage in various forms of community service, charity work, and social justice initiatives, reflecting their commitment to living out their faith in practical ways.
Diverse Experiences:

Varied Outcomes: The moral behavior of believers can vary widely depending on personal, cultural, and denominational factors. While some believers may live exemplary lives, others may struggle with ethical challenges.

Conclusion
Whether believers are "good people" is a nuanced question. From a Christian theological perspective, believers are seen as inherently sinful but are being transformed by God's grace. They are called to live out their faith through good works and moral behavior. However, like all humans, believers can still fail and fall short of moral perfection.

In a broader moral and sociological context, many believers strive to be good people and often engage in positive actions motivated by their faith. Yet, goodness is not exclusive to believers, and people of all beliefs can exhibit moral and ethical behavior. Ultimately, the concept of "goodness" involves a complex interplay of personal transformation, ethical conduct, and the influence of faith and community.

Having said this---

Universal Sinfulness:

Romans 3:23: "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Ecclesiastes 7:20: "Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins."
Justification and Sanctification:

Romans 5:1: "Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."

1 Thessalonians 4:3-4: "For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor."

1 Corinthians 6:11: "And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."
New Creation:

2 Corinthians 5:17: "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."
Fruit of the Spirit:

Galatians 5:22-23: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."
Faith and Works:

James 2:14-26: "What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?... For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead."

Moral Perspective
Call to Holiness:

1 Peter 1:15-16: "But as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, 'You shall be holy, for I am holy.'"
Doing Good Works:

Ephesians 2:10: "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."
Matthew 5:16: "In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."
Love and Compassion:

1 John 4:7-8: "Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love."

Colossians 3:12-14: "Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony."

These scripture references provide a foundation for understanding how believers are viewed within Christian theology and how they are called to live morally and ethically. While believers are recognized as sinners in need of God's grace, they are also called to live out their faith through good works, love, and holiness, reflecting their transformation in Christ.

More of a wholistic approach on how to study the Scriptures and be honest with ourselves.

Jesus is the Bread of Life and just as bread nourishes our physical bodies, Jesus gives and sustains eternal life to all believers. In John 6:35, we read - "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst." Jesus is using figurative language to emphasize these spiritual truths. Jesus explains the sense of this passage when He says in John 6:63 - "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life."

Eating and drinking is not literal cannibalism here through transubstantiation as Roman Catholics teach, but the receiving of God’s grace by believing in Christ for salvation, as Jesus makes clear by repeating the same truths below:

John 6:40 - Everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:54 - Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:47 - Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.
John 6:58 - He who eats this bread will live forever.

"He who believes" and "he who eats this bread and drinks My blood" ends in the same result, receiving eternal life. Jesus is the Bread of Life; we eat of Him and are satisfied when we believe in Him. Bread represents the "staff of life" - sustenance. That which essential to sustain life. Just as bread or sustenance is necessary to maintain physical life, Jesus is all the sustenance necessary for spiritual life. The source of physical life is blood - "life is in the blood." As with the bread, just as blood is the empowering or source of life physically, Jesus is all the source of spiritual life necessary.
Amen

I'm being transformed into Christ's image. That has to be good. And if I do stumble and fall I have a good lawyer. My advocate in heaven, Jesus. He paid for all of my sin, past present and future. If you want to get to the heart of the matter it's not a sin issue because sin has been dealt with on the cross it's an obedience issue.

Do we all fall short of being obedient Servants? Of course we do. BUT:

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

Romans chapter 8:

Life through the Spirit

1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

How would you feel if someone claims "I was a Calvinist for over 40 years and you can't tell me nothin'!" yet slander and berate Calvin's works and Institutes online, publicly-calling others who might want to lean to Reformed Theology "heretics?"

So my hat off to you Sir-welcome to the "Circus"

Johann.
I say Calvin’s teachings are heresy with tulip. I never said Calvinists are heretics.
I was a Calvinist I believed heretical doctrines. I was saved. I believed error. I probably still believe some false teachings. And once I find out they are false I will respect of them.

hope this helps !!!

Even sinners love their own? I think you remember those verses.....

The will is not so enslaved. You are starting with your premise without first establishing it. Please establish it. I don't believe you can. Please prove me wrong. Tell me how love isn't good.
The premise of our being enslaved ot sin is from Jesus saying every sinner is so enslaved...

I think you are suggesting here the idea of a will totally DEPRAVED...unable to think or do any good thing. I do not think that is the meaning of an enslaved will.

My operating pov is that our enslavement is the enslavement of an addiction, an addiction that taints every decision no matter how loving. Yes an addict may choose against his addiction for love in the moment but he is still always under the addiction and is moved by it in every decision, unable to escape it without the cure from GOD.

The importance of our being enslaved by the addictive power of sin is that we cannot choose to have faith or to be righteous so as to become fully sanctified without the Holy Spirit's work in us changing our minds. First grace to be reborn then the freedom of the will to make a free will decision untainted by evil once again.

Why are you appealing to enlightenment and then appealing to training? They are naturally two seperate things.
To have your eyes opened to your sinfulness is to be enlightened...To have them opened by being given a command so you can experience your not being able to keep it is training.

Synergism:
Synergism comes from the Greek word "synergos," which means "working together." In a theological context, synergism is the view that human free will and divine grace cooperate in the process of salvation.
I reject this as meaningful to our salvation from our sinfulness...

Our Election was synergistic - GOD told us the value of our putting our faith in HIM as our Creator GOD and as our Saviour from all sin and warned us all of the dire consequences of rejecting HIM and WE then chose to accept (put our faith in) HIS claims as true or to reject them as the lies of a false god driven by a psychotic egomania.

Our Fall - was totally monergistic for every person who fell. No person was evil by his creation nor forced into sinfulness by any force or experience of his life. WE chose to sin all on our own, against the will of GOD not by it...

Our Salvation, including our rebirth, our return to faith, and our sanctification unto full holiness is also monergistic but from GOD HIMself, not from ourselves, until we are again free from the addiction to evil, heaven ready.

Back
Top Bottom