The work of God is for YOU TO BELIEVE

'The entrance of thy words giveth light;
it giveth understanding unto the simple.'

(Psa 119:130)

Praise God!
Very simple--here is another one

Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Praise God!

Last edited:
Excately--back to the Scripture--

Eph 2:1 And Καὶ you, ὑμᾶς being ὄντας dead νεκροὺς in τοῖς your ὑμῶν, trespasses παραπτώμασιν and καὶ - ταῖς sins — ἁμαρτίαις

Eph 2:5 made [us] alive with συνεζωοποίησεν - τῷ Christ Χριστῷ,— even καὶ we ἡμᾶς being ὄντας dead νεκροὺς - τοῖς in trespasses — παραπτώμασιν by grace χάριτί you are ἐστε saved — σεσῳσμένοι,—

What precedes what here,regeneration, faith?

Glad to know you make use of modern technology-freely available,
Oh well-guess I lost @Biblelesson

The hymn that was playing when I walked forward for counselling, having heard the gospel of the grace of God preached at the age of twelve years, having believed and under conviction of sin, was':-

Just as I am, without one plea,
but that Thy blood was shed for me,
and that Thou bidd'st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to Thee, Whose blood can cleanse each spot,

Just as I am, though tossed about
with many a conflict, many a doubt,
fightings and fears within, without,

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
because Thy promise I believe,

* My understanding was limited: But God's word had entered, and the seed of faith was sown; I was in the hands of the Gardener, and the work He had begun in me He would continue to perform, and will do, until the day of Christ.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Subject Heading:- The work of God is for YOU TO BELIEVE

'Then said they unto Him,
What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
Jesus answered and said unto them,
This is the work of God,

that ye believe on Him Whom He hath sent.'
(Joh 6:28-29)

Praise God!
Notice the question ?

What shall we do that we might do the works of God ?

Jesus response is the believe -

The hymn that was playing when I walked forward for counselling, having heard the gospel of the grace of God preached at the age of twelve years, having believed and under conviction of sin, was':-

Just as I am, without one plea,
but that Thy blood was shed for me,
and that Thou bidd'st me come to Thee,

Just as I am, and waiting not
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to Thee, Whose blood can cleanse each spot,

Just as I am, though tossed about
with many a conflict, many a doubt,
fightings and fears within, without,

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
because Thy promise I believe,

* My understanding was limited: But God's word had entered, and the seed of faith was sown; I was in the hands of the Gardener, and the work He had begun in me He would continue to perform, and will do, until the day of Christ.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Amen and Amen @Complete

May our Lord Jesus Christ be ever eulogized.
Johann.

Excately--back to the Scripture--

Eph 2:1 And Καὶ you, ὑμᾶς being ὄντας dead νεκροὺς in τοῖς your ὑμῶν, trespasses παραπτώμασιν and καὶ - ταῖς sins — ἁμαρτίαις

Eph 2:5 made [us] alive with συνεζωοποίησεν - τῷ Christ Χριστῷ,— even καὶ we ἡμᾶς being ὄντας dead νεκροὺς - τοῖς in trespasses — παραπτώμασιν by grace χάριτί you are ἐστε saved — σεσῳσμένοι,—

What precedes what here,regeneration, faith?

Glad to know you make use of modern technology-freely available,
Faith precedes regeneration

Keep reading

Ephesians 2:8 (UASV) — 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith;...........................

One is saved by regeneration through faith

@Johann
So what is Calvinism all about? Let's jump into it.

Two things... I will not be trying to convince anyone that Calvinism is for them or that whatever theology they believe in is wrong. I'll simply be explaining Calvinism To the best of my ability. I also won't be answering trick questions.

Most evangelical Christians and, sadly, even some Calvinists, lack a proper understanding of Calvinism.

“There is nothing upon which men need to be more instructed than upon the question of what Calvinism really is,” Charles H. Spurgeon.

So with that in mind are you ready to give this question a fair hearing: what really is Calvinism all about?

@Johann
So what is Calvinism all about? Let's jump into it.

Two things... I will not be trying to convince anyone that Calvinism is for them or that whatever theology they believe in is wrong. I'll simply be explaining Calvinism To the best of my ability. I also won't be answering trick questions.

Most evangelical Christians and, sadly, even some Calvinists, lack a proper understanding of Calvinism.

“There is nothing upon which men need to be more instructed than upon the question of what Calvinism really is,” Charles H. Spurgeon.

So with that in mind are you ready to give this question a fair hearing: what really is Calvinism all about?
More than willing to give you a fair hearing. No trick questions.

@Johann

Calvinism is remarkably consistent and defined.

“Calvinism is the broadest and deepest Christianity; or, if you will, it is the purest Christianity; or, as I should prefer to qualify it, it is the most consistent and likewise the most harmonious Christianity.” Dr. R.C. Sproul

But what is at the heart of the Calvinistic system? Many people have tried to break it down to one principle or a single concept that governs Calvinism. I personally don't think that's possible. Here is a short list I believe are the most Important.

Predestination. This one trips a lot of people up. Some say predestination is the core of Reformed truth, that assertion can be misleading if You think that everything proceeds from absolute predestination in such a way that what transpires in time matters little. You can lose all sense of reasoning if you get too far into this one. This hyper-Calvinistic view leads to a tendency to move away from biblical revelation into a more rationalistic kind of theology.

The covenant. While the covenantal relationship between God and man is emphasized in Reformed theology, it is not necessarily the controlling concept. All men are indeed either in covenant with God or are covenant-breakers, but Calvin did not structure all doctrines under this important truth. I personally think he missed the mark on this one.

The sovereignty of God. Sovereignty means “rule”; hence, to speak of God’s sovereignty is to refer to God’s rule. God’s sovereignty is His supremacy, His kingship, and His deity. His sovereignty declares Him to be God, the incomprehensible Trinity who is nevertheless knowable insofar as He chooses to reveal Himself to us. His sovereignty is exercised in all of His attributes, declaring Him to be perfect in all respects and possessor of all righteousness and holiness. He is the sovereignty gracious and omnipotent Jehovah, the Most High.

So now we need to the true nitty gritty of Calvinism. As Calvinist I believe that God is the Lord of life and Sovereign of the universe, whose will is the key to history. I believe that He is free and independent of any force outside Himself to accomplish His purposes; that He knows the end from the beginning; that He creates, sustains, governs, and directs all things; and that His marvelous design will be fully and perfectly manifest at the end of the ages. “For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever” Romans 11:36

“God’s sovereignty is to all other doctrines what the granite formation is to the other strata of the earth. It underlies and sustains them, but it crops out only here and there. So this doctrine should underlie all our preaching, and should be definitely asserted only now and then.” Charles Hodge

God’s sovereignty is the heart of Calvinism one needs to understand that this sovereignty is not arbitrary but is the sovereignty of the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. The sovereign grace and love that went to Calvary has the whole world in its hands. God’s fatherly sovereignty in Christ is the essence of who God is.

@Johann

Calvinism is remarkably consistent and defined.

“Calvinism is the broadest and deepest Christianity; or, if you will, it is the purest Christianity; or, as I should prefer to qualify it, it is the most consistent and likewise the most harmonious Christianity.” Dr. R.C. Sproul

But what is at the heart of the Calvinistic system? Many people have tried to break it down to one principle or a single concept that governs Calvinism. I personally don't think that's possible. Here is a short list I believe are the most Important.

Predestination. This one trips a lot of people up. Some say predestination is the core of Reformed truth, that assertion can be misleading if You think that everything proceeds from absolute predestination in such a way that what transpires in time matters little. You can lose all sense of reasoning if you get too far into this one. This hyper-Calvinistic view leads to a tendency to move away from biblical revelation into a more rationalistic kind of theology.

The covenant. While the covenantal relationship between God and man is emphasized in Reformed theology, it is not necessarily the controlling concept. All men are indeed either in covenant with God or are covenant-breakers, but Calvin did not structure all doctrines under this important truth. I personally think he missed the mark on this one.

The sovereignty of God. Sovereignty means “rule”; hence, to speak of God’s sovereignty is to refer to God’s rule. God’s sovereignty is His supremacy, His kingship, and His deity. His sovereignty declares Him to be God, the incomprehensible Trinity who is nevertheless knowable insofar as He chooses to reveal Himself to us. His sovereignty is exercised in all of His attributes, declaring Him to be perfect in all respects and possessor of all righteousness and holiness. He is the sovereignty gracious and omnipotent Jehovah, the Most High.

So now we need to the true nitty gritty of Calvinism. As Calvinist I believe that God is the Lord of life and Sovereign of the universe, whose will is the key to history. I believe that He is free and independent of any force outside Himself to accomplish His purposes; that He knows the end from the beginning; that He creates, sustains, governs, and directs all things; and that His marvelous design will be fully and perfectly manifest at the end of the ages. “For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever” Romans 11:36

“God’s sovereignty is to all other doctrines what the granite formation is to the other strata of the earth. It underlies and sustains them, but it crops out only here and there. So this doctrine should underlie all our preaching, and should be definitely asserted only now and then.” Charles Hodge

God’s sovereignty is the heart of Calvinism one needs to understand that this sovereignty is not arbitrary but is the sovereignty of the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. The sovereign grace and love that went to Calvary has the whole world in its hands. God’s fatherly sovereignty in Christ is the essence of who God is.
What sources would you recommend?
Since this is a very condensed post re "the nitty gritty" of Calvinism @Biblelesson. Unless, of course, there is more to come?

@Johann

Which according to Calvinism is determined by God

Which according to Calvinism is determined by God
This is between me and @Biblelesson @TomL but I must admit I am a little bit disappointed-the was the shortest, condensed version re the nitty critty of Calvinism I've ever heard and he is already off to another thread.
So I'll stick to my guns and believe what stands written since the Calvinists don't even agree among themselves!
Shalom brother.
Johann.

This is between me and @Biblelesson @TomL but I must admit I am a little bit disappointed-the was the shortest, condensed version re the nitty critty of Calvinism I've ever heard and he is already off to another thread.
So I'll stick to my guns and believe what stands written since the Calvinists don't even agree among themselves!
Shalom brother.
Johann.
Oh no we're just getting warmed up.

Shalom brother.
Johann.
So I can't comment?

Back
Top Bottom