The Power of the Gospel

The Gospel in and of itself being preached in the letter only isnt the Power of God, but it is the Power of God when accompanied with the Spirit of God making it effectual unto a conversion experience, causing belief.

1 Thess 1:5,6

For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in Power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

See that ? It came unto them NOT IN WORD ONLY, but also IN POWER, and IN the HOLY GHOST

And when it comes in such a manner it causes conversion, notice Vs 6

6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost.
Now the word became is the greek word ginomai:

1. to become, i.e. to come into existence, begin to be, receive being
  2. to become, i.e. to come to pass, happen
    1. of events
  3. to arise, appear in history, come upon the stage
    1. of men appearing in public
  4. to be made, finished
    1. of miracles, to be performed, wrought
  5. to become, be made
And its aorist passive, so they were made or caused to become followers of the Lord. That shows they were already regenerated by the

Spirit see [2 Thess 2:13] and now they were effectually converted to the Lord by the word

So its the same in Rom 1:16

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

When its the Power of God, believing and following the Lord is inevitable

I was speaking to the Gospel of the Christ "of the Bible" that was given to Israel that the Wisemen, Zacharias, Simeon and Anna, along with Abraham and Noah and Abel, and Caleb and David etc., all heard and believed.

A Gospel in which men, both Jew and Gentile, are instructed to repent, turn to God and "DO" works worthy of repentance.

I've been reluctant to reply to this response..... I'll start slow. Bit by bit.

What work is worthy of repentance?

Please establish the "worth" of such works relative to repentance. Esau didn't "find" a place of repentance though he sought it with many tears.

I've been reluctant to reply to this response..... I'll start slow. Bit by bit.

What work is worthy of repentance?

Please establish the "worth" of such works relative to repentance. Esau didn't "find" a place of repentance though he sought it with many tears.

It's important, in my view, not to fall for the whole "my verse destroys your verse" game that "many" who come in Christ's Name play. Does Heb. 12:17 make void God's call to "Repent", Turn to Him, and bring forth Works worthy of repentance? Lets hear what the Author was actually saying.

Heb. 12: 12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;

13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.

14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which "no man" shall see the Lord:

15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat "sold his birthright".

17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have "inherited the blessing", he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

At some point, our time of repentance is over. For those "Christians" in Matt. 7:22, is this not the "Day" when they would have inherited the blessings? And did they not make their case? And will men not be weeping and gnashing their teeth when they see their judgment? WHY PY? Isn't it because it was too late, and there was found no more place for repentance, even though these men wept and begged for the blessing?

And so what is written that the Hebrews author also said?

Heb. 3: 12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. (Like Esau)

13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

14 For we are made partakers of Christ, "if" we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

15 While it is said, To day "if ye will hear his voice", harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

So then your verse doesn't destroy Paul's words that I quoted.

Acts 26: 19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:

20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

If a man doesn't know what works a repentant thief would bring that is worthy of repentance, should this man be preaching about God to others?

Back
Top Bottom