Understanding........

Yup-you are robotic-regurgitating human philosophy, not able to discern what stands written. Just goes to show you can have all the commentaries at your disposal and still miss as to what stands written, in plain text.
Well I posted no commentary and you did not address the problems of a Calvinist interpretation

Satan's work in blinding the mind of those that believe not actually mitagates against a Calvinist understanding. One born addled by total inability requires no blinding to keep them from believing

Such work is redundant in a Calvinist world view. Additionally what can Satan do if God irresistibly infuses faith

Calvinistically He would not be needed in the case of the non elect and impotent in the case of the elect

But why the personal invective?

Can you dispute the logic of what I stated?

The verse does not teach man is incapable of believing the gospel

and BTW we have a biblical example of Satan's work

Matthew 13:18–19 (KJV 1900) — 18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower. 19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

and it also does not necessitate a Calvinist understanding.

Well I posted no commentary and you did not address the problems of a Calvinist interpretation

Satan's work in blinding the mind of those that believe not actually mitagates against a Calvinist understanding. One born addled by total inability requires no blinding to keep them from believing

Such work is redundant in a Calvinist world view. Additionally what can Satan do if God irresistibly infuses faith

Calvinistically He would not be needed in the case of the non elect and impotent in the case of the elect

But why the personal invective?

Can you dispute the logic of what I stated?

The verse does not teach man is incapable of believing the gospel

and BTW we have a biblical example of Satan's work

Matthew 13:18–19 (KJV 1900) — 18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower. 19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

and it also does not necessitate a Calvinist understanding.
Firstly-I am no Calvinist-I don't see Calvinists but fellow brothers and sisters IN Christ and as for the personal invective-that is how you come across-posting 4-5x the same post. Are you sitting in judgement on HOW they believe or whether they are going to Heaven
or no?

Satan's Influence: While God's sovereignty is ultimate, Scripture portrays Satan as a real spiritual entity who actively opposes God and seeks to deceive and tempt humanity (1 Peter 5:8; Revelation 12:9). Satan can influence individuals and societies through deception, temptation, and spiritual warfare (Ephesians 6:12).

Human Responsibility: Despite God's sovereignty, Scripture also affirms human responsibility. Individuals are accountable for their actions, including their response to God's offer of salvation (Romans 14:12; 2 Corinthians 5:10). While God's grace is irresistible to the elect, this does not negate the reality of human choice or the consequences of sin.

Compatibilism: Within Calvinism, there is a concept known as compatibilism, which holds that God's sovereignty and human responsibility are compatible. In other words, while God ordains all things that come to pass, including the actions of Satan and humans, He does so in a way that does not violate their nature or freedom (Genesis 50:20; Acts 2:23).

Purpose of Evil: Despite the existence of evil and the actions of Satan, Calvinists believe that God ultimately works all things together for His good purposes (Romans 8:28). This includes using evil for His redemptive plan and the glorification of His name (Genesis 50:20; Acts 4:27-28).

Mystery of God's Ways: Ultimately, the relationship between God's sovereignty, human responsibility, and the existence of evil is a profound mystery beyond human understanding (Romans 11:33-36). While we may seek to understand these truths, we must also humbly acknowledge the limitations of our finite minds and trust in God's wisdom and goodness.

In summary, while Calvinism affirms God's sovereignty in salvation and His ultimate control over all things, including the actions of Satan, it also recognizes the reality of evil and the responsibility of humanity. The relationship between these truths is complex and mysterious, but ultimately, Calvinists trust in God's perfect wisdom and goodness to accomplish His purposes in the world.

This sure ain't a friendly platform for our brothers and sisters-are you sure you have your theology correct?

Firstly-I am no Calvinist-I don't see Calvinists but fellow brothers and sisters IN Christ and as for the personal invective-that is how you come across-posting 4-5x the same post. Are you sitting in judgement on HOW they believe or whether they are going to Heaven
or no?

Satan's Influence: While God's sovereignty is ultimate, Scripture portrays Satan as a real spiritual entity who actively opposes God and seeks to deceive and tempt humanity (1 Peter 5:8; Revelation 12:9). Satan can influence individuals and societies through deception, temptation, and spiritual warfare (Ephesians 6:12).

Human Responsibility: Despite God's sovereignty, Scripture also affirms human responsibility. Individuals are accountable for their actions, including their response to God's offer of salvation (Romans 14:12; 2 Corinthians 5:10). While God's grace is irresistible to the elect, this does not negate the reality of human choice or the consequences of sin.

Compatibilism: Within Calvinism, there is a concept known as compatibilism, which holds that God's sovereignty and human responsibility are compatible. In other words, while God ordains all things that come to pass, including the actions of Satan and humans, He does so in a way that does not violate their nature or freedom (Genesis 50:20; Acts 2:23).

Purpose of Evil: Despite the existence of evil and the actions of Satan, Calvinists believe that God ultimately works all things together for His good purposes (Romans 8:28). This includes using evil for His redemptive plan and the glorification of His name (Genesis 50:20; Acts 4:27-28).

Mystery of God's Ways: Ultimately, the relationship between God's sovereignty, human responsibility, and the existence of evil is a profound mystery beyond human understanding (Romans 11:33-36). While we may seek to understand these truths, we must also humbly acknowledge the limitations of our finite minds and trust in God's wisdom and goodness.

In summary, while Calvinism affirms God's sovereignty in salvation and His ultimate control over all things, including the actions of Satan, it also recognizes the reality of evil and the responsibility of humanity. The relationship between these truths is complex and mysterious, but ultimately, Calvinists trust in God's perfect wisdom and goodness to accomplish His purposes in the world.

This sure ain't a friendly platform for our brothers and sisters-are you sure you have your theology correct?
Well For one thing you are posting on the Arminian-Calvinist forum.

For another you just posted supporting a Calvinist claim man cannot believe the gospel.

Can you not imagine that sets the context

Finally if I repost the argument it is because it has not been addressed

Another Calvinist oxymoron lol.

Blinding and parables would be unnecessary if Calvinism were true proving it’s actually false

Ditto context is once again king
Yes

Paul just stated

1 Corinthians 2:11–12 (KJV 1900) — 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

He is discussing that which is in the mind of God not that which has been publically revealed

To know what is in the mind of God not the revealed things one must have the mind of God

which indeed he has received

Yes

Paul just stated

1 Corinthians 2:11–12 (KJV 1900) — 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

He is discussing that which is in the mind of God not that which has been publically revealed

To know what is in the mind of God not the revealed things one must have the mind of God

which indeed he has received
spot on brother

Calvinism has many verses which have been taken out of context to suppoprt its theology
there are actually not very many passages that calvinism is built on only a few like these

john 1:13, john 6:44, eph 1, romans 9 with jabob/esau and the potter, Jesus and the sheep John 10 plus the 4 verses that faith is a gift ( we know its believers, not unbelievers) who are given the gift just like the fruit of the Spirit with faithfulness.

that about all of it in a nutshell.

the non calvinists have the entire bible plus the correct interpretation with the above mentioned passages they rip from their context.

Well For one thing you are posting on the Arminian-Calvinist forum.

For another you just posted supporting a Calvinist claim man cannot believe the gospel.

Can you not imagine that sets the context

Finally if I repost the argument it is because it has not been addressed
It has been addressed, adequately but in your reposting after reposting you missed it-sadly.

1) "In whom the god of this world," (en hois ho theos tou aionos toutou) "in whom the god of this age," Satan, the Devil, Prince of the power of the air, chief ruler over deranged spirits, fallen angels, Joh_12:31; Mat_4:8-9; Rev_12:9.

2) "Hath blinded the minds of them which believe not," (etuphlosen ta noemata ton apiston) "Blinded (has blinded) the thoughts of the unbelieving ones," or untrusting ones, by means of false teachers who pre-occupied their minds, Eph_2:2; Eph_4:18; Eph_6:12; Act_26:17-18.

3) "Lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ," (eis to me-ton photismon tou euangeliou tes dokses tou Christou) "Lest the enlightenment of the gospel of the glory of Christ," the radiance of the glory of Christ, Col_1:27; Psa_119:130; Joh_8:12; 2Ti_1:10.

4) "Who is the image of God," (hos estin eikon tou theou) "who is (exists as) the image (icon) of God;" Joh_1:14; Joh_1:18; Joh_14:9; Col_1:15; Heb_1:3. As the image (icon) of God Jesus appeared to show what God is, in all His attributes, including holiness, justice, and love.

5) "Should shine unto them," (augasai) "Should shine forth," (unto them), that they might turn to Him and be saved, Luk_19:10; Joh_1:3-5; Joh_1:9-12.
Eph 2:1 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins
Eph 2:2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience—
Eph 2:3 among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.
Eph 2:4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us,
Eph 2:5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—
Eph 2:6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
Eph 2:7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
Eph 2:9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Eph 4:17 Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds.
Eph 4:18 They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart.
Eph 4:19 They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity.
Eph 4:20 But that is not the way you learned Christ!—
Eph 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
Eph 6:13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
Eph 6:15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.
Eph 6:16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one;
Eph 6:17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,
Eph 6:18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
Eph 6:19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel,
Eph 6:20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.

--Not against flesh and blood-

1 Having the understanding darkened" (eskotomenai te dianoia ontes) "Having been darkened in their intellect or intelligence;" blinded by the god of this world in their higher intellectual nature, 2Co_4:3-4; Act_26:18.

2) "Being alienated from the life of God" (apellotriomenoi tes zoes tou theou) "Having been alienated from the life of God," or being in an alienated state or condition from God life, by the fallen state of sin, Eph_2:12.

3) "Through the ignorance that is in them" (dia ten agnoian ten ousan en autois) "Through the ignorance that exists in them," by nature of their existence, denoting an ignorance of Divine things, a lack of knowledge, involving moral blindness, Act_3:17; Act_17:30; 1Pe_1:14.

4) "Because of the blindness of their heart" die ten porosin tes kardias auton) "On account of the hardness, obstinacy, enmity, callousness, or rebellion of their heart,“ meaning mental or moral hardening against God and holiness, Mar_3:5; Rom_11:25; Pro_29:1.

It has been addressed, adequately but in your reposting after reposting you missed it-sadly.

1) "In whom the god of this world," (en hois ho theos tou aionos toutou) "in whom the god of this age," Satan, the Devil, Prince of the power of the air, chief ruler over deranged spirits, fallen angels, Joh_12:31; Mat_4:8-9; Rev_12:9.

2) "Hath blinded the minds of them which believe not," (etuphlosen ta noemata ton apiston) "Blinded (has blinded) the thoughts of the unbelieving ones," or untrusting ones, by means of false teachers who pre-occupied their minds, Eph_2:2; Eph_4:18; Eph_6:12; Act_26:17-18.

3) "Lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ," (eis to me-ton photismon tou euangeliou tes dokses tou Christou) "Lest the enlightenment of the gospel of the glory of Christ," the radiance of the glory of Christ, Col_1:27; Psa_119:130; Joh_8:12; 2Ti_1:10.

4) "Who is the image of God," (hos estin eikon tou theou) "who is (exists as) the image (icon) of God;" Joh_1:14; Joh_1:18; Joh_14:9; Col_1:15; Heb_1:3. As the image (icon) of God Jesus appeared to show what God is, in all His attributes, including holiness, justice, and love.

5) "Should shine unto them," (augasai) "Should shine forth," (unto them), that they might turn to Him and be saved, Luk_19:10; Joh_1:3-5; Joh_1:9-12.
Eph 2:1 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins
Eph 2:2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience—
Eph 2:3 among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.
Eph 2:4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us,
Eph 2:5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—
Eph 2:6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
Eph 2:7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
Eph 2:9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Eph 4:17 Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds.
Eph 4:18 They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart.
Eph 4:19 They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity.
Eph 4:20 But that is not the way you learned Christ!—
Eph 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
Eph 6:13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
Eph 6:15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.
Eph 6:16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one;
Eph 6:17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,
Eph 6:18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
Eph 6:19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel,
Eph 6:20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.

--Not against flesh and blood-

1 Having the understanding darkened" (eskotomenai te dianoia ontes) "Having been darkened in their intellect or intelligence;" blinded by the god of this world in their higher intellectual nature, 2Co_4:3-4; Act_26:18.

2) "Being alienated from the life of God" (apellotriomenoi tes zoes tou theou) "Having been alienated from the life of God," or being in an alienated state or condition from God life, by the fallen state of sin, Eph_2:12.

3) "Through the ignorance that is in them" (dia ten agnoian ten ousan en autois) "Through the ignorance that exists in them," by nature of their existence, denoting an ignorance of Divine things, a lack of knowledge, involving moral blindness, Act_3:17; Act_17:30; 1Pe_1:14.

4) "Because of the blindness of their heart" die ten porosin tes kardias auton) "On account of the hardness, obstinacy, enmity, callousness, or rebellion of their heart,“ meaning mental or moral hardening against God and holiness, Mar_3:5; Rom_11:25; Pro_29:1.
Regarding what is stated concerning 2Cor 4 (bolded above) nothing addresses the fact that the verse is contrary to a Calvinist worldview

Simply asserting does not do so

I noted how it is contrary to a Calvinist worldview of which you say nothing

If you want to argue simply, there are hindrances to belief. That is fine I would agree

That however does nothing to establish a Calvinist worldview

BTW why do you not quote your source?

You have railed against the use of commentary and the mechanical spitting out of it

yet that is exactly what you have done without crediting your source

Regarding what is stated concerning 2Cor 4 (bolded above) nothing addresses the fact that the verse is contrary to a Calvinist worldview

Simply asserting does not do so

I noted how it is contrary to a Calvinist worldview of which you say nothing

If you want to argue simply, there are hindrances to belief. That is fine I would agree

That however does nothing to establish a Calvinist worldview

BTW why do you not quote your source?

You have railed against the use of commentary and the mechanical spitting out of it

yet that is exactly what you have done without crediting your source
My sources is Robertson, Vincent, Cambridge, EX-Greek commentary Vincent Word Pictures and Calvin commentaries-a mix of Arminian and Calvin so don't fear-nothing compared to what you have. And yes-there are hindrances to belief-as the Scripture clearly shows.
Right?

2Ti 2:15 Make every effort to present yourself approved to God, a worker having no need to be ashamed, guiding the word of truth along a straight path.
2Ti 2:16 But avoid pointless chatter, for it will progress to greater ungodliness,
LEB

there are actually not very many passages that calvinism is built on only a few like these

john 1:13, john 6:44, eph 1, romans 9 with jabob/esau and the potter, Jesus and the sheep John 10 plus the 4 verses that faith is a gift ( we know its believers, not unbelievers) who are given the gift just like the fruit of the Spirit with faithfulness.

that about all of it in a nutshell.

the non calvinists have the entire bible plus the correct interpretation with the above mentioned passages they rip from their context.
And a few others all taken out of context

My sources is Robertson, Vincent, Cambridge, EX-Greek commentary Vincent Word Pictures and Calvin commentaries-a mix of Arminian and Calvin so don't fear-nothing compared to what you have. And yes-there are hindrances to belief-as the Scripture clearly shows.
Right?

2Ti 2:15 Make every effort to present yourself approved to God, a worker having no need to be ashamed, guiding the word of truth along a straight path.
2Ti 2:16 But avoid pointless chatter, for it will progress to greater ungodliness,
LEB
So why do you not credit them when you quote them ?

As carnal not as they were carnal .

So who are these natural men who cannot understand because they are Spiritually discerned??
1Co 2:14 But δὲ [the] natural Ψυχικὸς man ἄνθρωπος {does} not οὐ accept δέχεται the things τὰ of the τοῦ Spirit Πνεύματος - τοῦ of God; Θεοῦ· for γὰρ they are ἐστίν, foolishness μωρία to him, αὐτῷ and καὶ vvv οὐ he is not able δύναται to understand [them], γνῶναι, because ὅτι spiritually πνευματικῶς they are discerned. ἀνακρίνεται.

1) "But the natural man". (psuchikos de anthropos) "but a natural man," a man of natural senses, unrenewed by the new birth, Jas_3:15; Jud_1:19; Joh_3:3; Joh_3:5. This natural man is contrasted in comprehension with the spiritual (pneumatikos) man.

2) "Receiveth not the things of the Spirit oi God." (ou dechetai ta tou pneumatos tou theou) "not receives things of the spirit of God." He receives not the joy of the Holy Spirit, the witness of the Spirit, the peace of the Spirit, or the three gifts of the Holy Spirit - faith, hope, and charity, 1Co_13:13.

3) "For they are foolishness unto him." (moria gar auto estin) "For they are folly, or of moronic nature, to him." Herod could not comprehend the interest of the wise men who sought the newborn Christ, nor could the leaders in Jerusalem understand the wisdom of the apostles, Mat_2:1-13; Act_4:13.

4) "Neither can he know them." (Kai ou dunatai .gnonai) "and he is not able to know (them)" (things of the Spirit). Act_5:29-39.

5) "Because they are spiritually discerned." (Greek hoti pneumatikos anakrinetai) "because spiritually are they discerned or adjudged." As it takes an artist to discern art, a musician to discern good music, or a farmer to discern good farming, so it takes a spirit born and spirit discerning person to discern "signs of the times and the works of the Spirit." 2Pe_3:18; 2Ti_3:16-17.

1Co_2:14

natural man -- The verse itself identifies him. A reference to a man who does not discern spiritual things.
NLTSB says "people who aren't spiritual", Unbelievers, whose minds are blinded, function in the natural world and see life only through physical eyes (see 2Co_4:4). They cannot appreciate the significance of the Good News, for it is essentially a spiritual message.

But the natural man -- The NIV inserts "the man without the Spirit" for the Greek "the natural man" or "physical man". In 1Co_2:12-13 the word "know" becomes "understand", and erroneously teaching that we cannot understand the Scripture without the direct operation of the Spirit.

the natural man -- Literally, “a natural man,” that is, a man who is not spiritual minded; one un-converted to Christ, one whose interests are confined to the things of this life.

Such a man depends on human wisdom for the solution of all his problems. He lives to please himself and to gratify the desires of the unconverted heart, hence is incapable of understanding and appreciating the things of God.
To him the plan of salvation, the wonderful revelation of God’s love, is folly. He cannot distinguish between worldly philosophy and spiritual truth.

no able to understand -- Man cannot arrive at spiritual truth without being taught the gospel, Rom_10:17.

spiritually -- One who has been taught the gospel of God and has received it into his heart by faith and obedience is spiritually-minded and looks at God and the world in a different light than the carnally-minded man.
discerned -- . Gr. anakrinô, “to examine,” “to investigate,” here to arrive at truth after examination and judging. Compare the use of anakrinô in Luk_23:14; Act_4:9; 1Co_2:15; 1Co_10:25; etc.

"that we may know the things freely given to us by God" Believers can understand the gospel of Christ and their blessings in Him only through the Holy Spirit.

It is certainly true that in their fallen and temporal state even believers cannot fully, exhaustively know God, but can know and understand everything needed for salvation and godly living through the revelation of the Father, the person and work of the Son, and the illumination of the Spirit. Because we cannot know everything is no excuse not to embrace the clear truths of the Bible and walk in them.

It is also crucial that believers acknowledge that God's wisdom has been "freely given" (cf. Rom. 8:32). It is a gift of God which He desires to give to all humans made in His image (cf. Gen. 1:26-27), but now through rebellion are estranged from Him (i.e., Genesis 3; Rem. 3:9-18). God's wisdom is not the result of human intelligence, social standing, or ingenuity, but the revelation of God's love and mercy through Christ's work and the Spirit's agency. Since Christ, ignorance is willful! The Holy Spirit brings light, truth, and salvation. The spirit of this world brings darkness, deception, and death (i.e., 2 Cor. 4:4).

2:13 "which things we also speak" It is crucial that believers share these God-given truths. They are life and light (i.e., Matt. 5:13-14) to a lost and dying world, a loved world which has been redeemed if only they will receive God's Son, God's truth! Revelation is primarily redemptive (cf. 2 Tim. 2:15) and then transformational (cf. 2 Tim. 3:16-17).

NASB   "in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words"
NKJV   "which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual"
NRSV   "taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual things to those who are spiritual"
TEV   "we do not speak in words taught by human wisdom, but in words taught by the Spirit"
NJB   "in terms learnt from the Spirit, fitting spiritual language to spiritual things"
Peshitta   "but on the teaching of the Spirit; thus explaining spiritual things to the spiritual minded"
This is a very ambiguous phrase for several reasons. Before attempting to sort this out, remember the larger context is the key and not ambiguous details of Greek grammar or philology. The larger context relates to the mature believers (cf. 1 Cor. 2:6). It contrasts human wisdom and knowledge with God's wisdom, which is Christ, and God's knowledge, which is expressed in the gospel. This is the main truth of chapters 1 and 2.

The Holy Spirit is an indispensable channel of communication (cf. John 16:8-14). He reveals spiritual truths to those who have trusted Christ and received the indwelling Spirit. In some ways Paul's discussion here is similar to Jesus' parable of the sower or soils (cf. Matthew 13). The gospel message is understood and responded to by receptive hearers, but rejected by unresponsive hearers.

The term pneumatikois can be NEUTER (i.e., spiritual things) or MASCULINE (i.e., spiritual people). Another group of hearers is mentioned in the next verse, psuchikos (i.e., the natural or lost person). It is probable that the term in 1 Cor. 2:13 refers to spiritual people. This same group is previously mentioned in 1 Cor. 2:6 (i.e., teleiois, the mature or equipped believers) as well as 1 Cor. 2:15 (i.e., where they are called pneumaikos). There seem to be three groups of people referred to in this context.

lost people
saved, but immature believers
mature believers
There is often no visible difference between # 1 and #2.

If so, then how does the Spirit communicate spiritual truths? The PRESENT ACTIVE PARTICIPLE, sunkrinontes, is used in the Septuagint for interpreting dreams (cf. Gen. 40:8,16,22; 41:12,15; Jdgs. 7:15; Dan. 5:12; 7:15,16). However, this same Greek word in used only here and in 2 Cor. 10:12 in the NT having its normal sense of "comparing." Exactly how the Spirit communicates spiritual truth to spiritual people is ambiguous and because of that we should not become dogmatic or rigid on how to interpret this text. The great truth is that the Holy God seeks and accomplishes communication with fallen humanity (cf. 1 Cor. 2:12). God is speaking, are we listening?

There is an interesting article on "Revelation and Scripture" in the Expositor's Bible Commentary, vol. 1, pp. 461-462. Here is but one paragraph.

"For the NT writers, revelation concerns truth. Truth is a function of language. In this way revelation and Scripture are inextricably joined in NT theology. Event and interpretation go together. The NT revelation as it concerns Jesus Christ involves not merely abstract and timeless ethical truths, or the subjective experiences of the disciples, but it has to do with events that are concrete, particular, and actual. The apostolic statement and interpretation of the events is the truth of the matter. The writers intend to convey to the reader what is actually the case-that is, to state what was going on in the things that were happening. Whatever charge may be made against the NT writers as to their religious beliefs, we much recognize that they claim to give us divine revelation expressed in human language (1 Cor. 2:13)."

2:14
NASB   "a natural man"
NKJV   "natural man"
NRSV   "those who are unspiritual"
TEV   "the man who does not have the Spirit"
NJB   "the natural person"
REB   "an unspiritual person"
Peshitta   "the material man
"
This is the opposite of a "spiritual person" referred to in 1 Cor. 2:6,13 and 3:1. The term (i.e., psuchikos) is used several times in the NT where it refers to life on earth, life lived in relation to the five senses only (i.e., bios, life vs. zoē, life). The ikos ending means "characterized by" (cf. 1 Cor. 3:3). It then could mean earthly vs. heavenly or unspiritual vs. spiritual (cf. 1 Cor. 15:44,46; James 3:15; and Jude 1:19).

NASB   "does not accept"
NKJV, NRSV   "does not receive"
TEV   "cannot receive"
NJB   "has no room for"
Peshitta   "rejects"
REB   "refuses"
This Greek negated term means "rejects," "refuses to accept," "cannot comprehend," or "cannot make sense of." This term without negation is often used of welcoming a guest. This term (i.e., dechomai, cf. Luke 8:13; Acts 8:14; 11:1; 17:11; 2 Cor. 11:4; 1 Thess. 1:6; James 1:21) is synonymous with lambanō (cf. John 1:12; 12:48; 14:17). It does not relate to human ignorance, but to the incapacity of understanding spiritual truth!

This is the mystery of how/why some who hear the gospel respond and some do not. Is this rejection related to predestination or human volition? The answer is "yes," but exactly how these two relate is part of the dialectical nature of revelation itself (cf. Phil. 2:12-13, see Special Topic at 2 Cor. 8:16-17). I like what Frank Stagg, in New Testament Theology, says, "in the New Testament, the opposite of election is not non-election, but man's rejection of God's salvation" (p. 87).
Utley.

As carnal not as they were carnal .
Very weak

as context shows

1 Corinthians 3:3–4 (KJV 1900) — 3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

How were they Christains if the could not understand Spiritual things?? The gospel is hid to them that are lost.
Context

2 Corinthians 4:1–4 (KJV 1900) — 1 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not; 2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God. 3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

The lost here are those who heard the gospel did not believe and were blinded by Satan

not all the unsaved

Verse 4. In whom the god of this world, &c.] We see here that those whose minds are blinded, are they who believe not; and because they believe not, their minds continue in darkness, and are proper subjects for Satan to work on; and he deepens the darkness, and increases the hardness.

Adam Clarke, The Holy Bible with a Commentary and Critical Notes (vol. 6, New Edition.; Bellingham, WA: Faithlife Corporation, 2014), 328.

but the verse involves Calvinism in some difficulties

If man is born totally unable to believe the gospel why would Satan need to blind anyone also if grace is irresistible how could Satan blind anyone

If Christ did not die for the nonelect, of what are they blinded? It cannot be that they are blinded of Christ’s death for them and their need for faith if Christ never died for them. They cannot be blinded in their unbelief because they have nothing to believe or to disbelieve since they have no relationship to Christ’s death!

Context

2 Corinthians 4:1–4 (KJV 1900) — 1 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not; 2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God. 3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

The lost here are those who heard the gospel did not believe and were blinded by Satan

not all the unsaved

Verse 4. In whom the god of this world, &c.] We see here that those whose minds are blinded, are they who believe not; and because they believe not, their minds continue in darkness, and are proper subjects for Satan to work on; and he deepens the darkness, and increases the hardness.

Adam Clarke, The Holy Bible with a Commentary and Critical Notes (vol. 6, New Edition.; Bellingham, WA: Faithlife Corporation, 2014), 328.

but the verse involves Calvinism in some difficulties

If man is born totally unable to believe the gospel why would Satan need to blind anyone also if grace is irresistible how could Satan blind anyone

If Christ did not die for the nonelect, of what are they blinded? It cannot be that they are blinded of Christ’s death for them and their need for faith if Christ never died for them. They cannot be blinded in their unbelief because they have nothing to believe or to disbelieve since they have no relationship to Christ’s death!
Exactly it's hid from them. If its hid they cannot believe. So much for your universal ability to believe.

Very weak

as context shows

1 Corinthians 3:3–4 (KJV 1900) — 3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
Very true. They were acting as if they were carnal, not they were actually carnal.

Back
Top Bottom