The gospel what’s the point ?

civic

In both Theistic Fatalism and Calvinism, if God sovereignly decrees for me to go witness to my neighbor He will give me the effectual desire to go witness to my neighbor. If my neighbor is one of His elect and God has unchangeably elected for me to be the means by which my neighbor comes to Christ, then logically I would have to believe that God will give me the effectual desire and the opportunity to carry out His preordain plan (i.e. “God ordained the means”). If that effectual desire never comes then why couldn’t I rightly conclude it ultimately was not God’s pre-ordained plan for me to be the means through which my neighbor would come to Christ? @The Rogue Tomato @Presby02 @atpollard @makesends @armylngst

The only logic argument a Compatibilistic Calvinist could bring to this charge is, “That’s true but you can’t think that way!” In other words, the Compatibilist has to ignore the truth claims of his own systematic in order to live practically. His actual beliefs are untenable and must be ignored in order to remain consistent with the Biblical mandate.

If you go back and re-read the Calvinistic explanation posted above you will notice that there is no difference in the actual claims of the Calvinist and the Theistic Fatalist. The only difference is in how the person chooses to actin response to that commonly held belief of Divine determinism. And therein lies the problem for the Calvinist, for that choice is just as unchangeably determined by God as is the choice of His elect to believe.
Did you follow that? Under the Calvinistic system, God unchangeably determines those who will accept the belief that “God not only ordains the end; but also the means.” And He determines if that believer will respond with evangelistic activity or inactivity. In other words, God decides if the believer of theistic determinism will become a hyper-Calvinist who refuses to actively participate in evangelism or a productive, obedient Calvinist like the author above.

Calvinists are known to argue, “God has ordained for His elect to be saved through the proclamation of the gospel,” But wouldn’t they likewise argue that God has ordained for the saved to proclaim the gospel when they do proclaim it and not to proclaim it when they remain disobediently inactive? After all, the author does affirm that God causes all things that come to pass, which would include the inactivity of the saints, would it not?

Think about this. If any particular Calvinist chooses to disobey God and not proclaim the Gospel when impressed to do so by the Holy Spirit, who is really responsible for that choice to disobey?

Has God, for some unknown reason, not granted the sufficient grace to convince the will of His messenger to proclaim the truth when told to do so? Or has that messenger disobeyed of his own libertarian free will? And what is the result of that disobedience? When an individual Calvinistic believer disobeys God’s command to evangelize, did any fewer elect individuals respond in faith than what God ordained? Of course not. Why? Because God ordained for that Calvinist’s disobedience with the same level of “sovereign control” as He does in ordaining for another Calvinist’s obedience.

You see, a Calvinist may argue that evangelism in general is necessary for the salvation of the elect in general, but logically your individual responsibility to evangelize any particular elect person is not necessary for the salvation of that elect person. After all if you weren’t ordained to evangelize that elect individual, someone else was, otherwise they wouldn’t be elect.

Granted, someone (but not necessarily you) has to share the gospel with the elect in order for them to be saved. If God has ordained you to be that evangelist, then He will give you the effectual desire to do so. Thus, if you refrain from doing so you could rightly conclude that you weren’t meant to be the means for that person’s salvation. You are left with the perfect excuse for your inactivity and disobedience to God’s command: “God unchangeably ordained the means, or in this case, my lack of participation in those means.”

So the next time a Calvinist argues that “God ordains the ends as well as the means” just remember this does not avoid the charge of Theistic Fatalism but actually confirms it. In fact, their system logically affirms that the believer’s inactive disobedience is as much according to God’s ordained plan as is another believer’s active obedience. So, if and when a Calvinist becomes “hyper” or “anti-evangelistic” in his behavior, he does so by God’s decree. And, so too, if a Calvinist becomes highly evangelistic in his behavior he does so equally by God’s decree (i.e. “God ordains the means”). A consistent Calvinistic scholar cannot get around this logical fact no matter how much theological rhetoric they use to placate their opponents. The best they can do is say, “Just don’t think of of it that way,” which in essence means, “Act like what we believe isn’t true.” And to that I say, “AMEN!”

LOSING THE NEED FOR PERSUASION IN EVANGELIZING THE LOST

The English word “persuasion” (in all its various forms) is used three times more often than the word “predestination,” yet it seems the latter receives a thousand times more attention. Persuasion is at the very heart of evangelism. I have to wonder if the lack of emphasis on this biblical doctrine has lead to the decline in baptisms and evangelistic efforts among Evangelicals over the last few decades? Let’s be reminded at what the scriptures tell us about persuading the lost:

They arranged to meet Paul on a certain day, and came in even larger numbers to the place where he was staying. He witnessed to them from morning till evening, explaining about the kingdom of God, and from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets he tried to persuadethem about Jesus. Some were convinced by what he said, but others would not believe. (Acts‬ ‭28:23-24‬)
Since then we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men. (2 Corinthians 5:11)

Too often we speak only of the need to proclaim and explain the good news to the lost, but clearly the Bible teaches us that we should be trying to persuade people of its truthfulness. Is that not what evangelism and apologetics is all about?
If God, through some kind of inner working of irresistible grace, is going to convince his unconditionally chosen elect to believe the gospel regardless of your effort, then is there any rational reason to persist all day long in attempting to persuade the lost?

Why not simply proclaim the truth of the gospel and “leave the rest up to God?” That is not Paul’s approach to evangelism. Should it be ours?Flowers

hope this helps !!!

The gospel is for the conversion and informing of the saved elect of their salvation
It's to give them assurance and peace regarding their salvation with the Lord

“I am not ashamed of the gospel,” he begins, “for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes” (Romans 1:16).

Paul says that God’s solution to humanity’s sin is the sacrificial death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It's for all who believe in Jesus.
Paul is showing us the good news, the gospel of Jesus Christ.

In Preaching the Cross, its a serious task, its to set forth Christ,

The preaching of the cross is the Gospel, the Good News, of God. But what does the preaching of the cross mean? The preaching of the cross is a clear reference to the Person of Christ, Who He is; the Work of Christ, what He did; and for whom Christ did it, the intent, and, therefore, the extent of His atoning work: who actually benefits. You cannot separate Who Christ is from what He did, and, consequently, for whom He did it. Christ did not do several contrastingly different things on the cross. He did one thing. He died. And, through that Sacrificial and Substitutionary Death He achieved something: He obtained Salvation/Redemption for everyone He died for Heb 9:12

Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
As their Saviour/ Redeemer He applies their Salvation/Redemption upon and in them.
He did not merely make salvation/redemption possible, but He obtained redemption for those whom God had given Him Jn 17:2

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give[apply] eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Calvinists are well-known critic of the practice of the public evangelistic invitation, particularly the altar call. Other well-known preachers with a Calvinist theology produce a deafening silence on the practice. They are Theistic Fatalists.

“If God has unchangeably determined who will and won’t be saved, then why evangelize the lost?”

Calvinists are well-known critic of the practice of the public evangelistic invitation, particularly the altar call. Other well-known preachers with a Calvinist theology produce a deafening silence on the practice. They are Theistic Fatalists.

“If God has unchangeably determined who will and won’t be saved, then why evangelize the lost?”

It is why many Calvinist hated their own in Finney.

Off the top of my head I would say it was his views on faith. I think he was also known for not going along with a few other things found in Calvinism.

Finney is considered by most to have "invited" the modern "alter call".

He was definitely a Calvinist with a long history among Calvinism

Not all Calvinists agree and never really have. The WCF and Synod of Dort prove it. You don't have to have endless councils and "confessions" to establish "doctrinal statements" when you actually agree.

You can read through the forums here and see it for yourself. I've personally witnessed it for decades... Just how different Calvinists are from one another. All you have to do is start asking for details.

I grew so tired of it close to 20 years ago now that I just stopped discussing the topic. I would spend countless posts/time debating the subject just have that person say "I don't believe that".......

It really is maddening.....

Try it yourself. Start taking a Calvinist thru the WCF or the Synod of Dort in detail and watch them squirm to the point they will have to tell you they don't believe it.

Finney is considered by most to have "invited" the modern "alter call".

He was definitely a Calvinist with a long history among Calvinism

Not all Calvinists agree and never really have. The WCF and Synod of Dort prove it. You don't have to have endless councils and "confessions" to establish "doctrinal statements" when you actually agree.

You can read through the forums here and see it for yourself. I've personally witnessed it for decades... Just how different Calvinists are from one another. All you have to do is start asking for details.

I grew so tired of it close to 20 years ago now that I just stopped discussing the topic. I would spend countless posts/time debating the subject just have that person say "I don't believe that".......

It really is maddening.....

Try it yourself. Start taking a Calvinist thru the WCF or the Synod of Dort in detail and watch them squirm to the point they will have to tell you they don't believe it.
Yes we see that here and on the old forum that most of us were members

The gospel is for the conversion and informing of the saved elect of their salvation
It's to give them assurance and peace regarding their salvation with the Lord
Like a call from a telemarketer. "Hello there Mr Calvinist. This call is to inform you that you're one of the Saved Elect. At the sound of the tone please leave your address and we'll send you an autographed picture of Michael Servetus Being burnt at the state by John Calvin."

Like a call from a telemarketer. "Hello there Mr Calvinist. This call is to inform you that you're one of the Saved Elect. At the sound of the tone please leave your address and we'll send you an autographed picture of Michael Servetus Being burnt at the state by John Calvin."
Scoffing okay

We are warned in the Bible of doctrines of demons that will come into the church in the end times. Some of those doctrines include things like seeker-sensitive content.

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.
1 Timothy 4:1–3

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
2 Timothy 4:1–4

This leads to a sense of pride instead of humility and can be a doorway to many other false and dangerous doctrines.

Calvinism becomes seeker sensitive real fast. Not only that, but in defense of Calvinism, you will start to see their thinking start to take alignment with John Calvin instead of scripture. They twist the plan meaning of scripture to fit their false doctrine.

Rather than referring to themselves as Christians they identify as Calvinists.

Back
Top Bottom