Isaiah 53 the origin of PSA

civic

Within the study of the doctrine on PSA, the central O.T. passage it comes from is found in Isaiah 53. Let us look at how the N.T. quotes Isaiah 53 and see how the N.T. writers viewed the passages and used them in the N.T. and what language from Isaiah 53 they applied to Jesus in the N.T. regarding suffering.

In doing so, a few things stand out. There is no penal aspect/ language Isaiah used that is carried over in the N.T. but that of substitution. Isaiah 53:4- WE (not God) considered Him punished by God. The following NT passages quote Isaiah 53: Matthew 8:14-17; Mark 15:27-32; John 12:37-41; Luke 22:35-38; Acts 8:26-35; Romans 10:11-21; and 1 Peter 2:19-25. Not one of them uses any penal language where PSA gets its doctrine from.

At best PSA is a doctrine based upon an argument from silence in the New Testament.

hope this helps !!!

The N.T. does not use the penal language that was developed during the Reformation in the dark ages as that was how that culture during that time had dealt with people in their judicial system punishing those who disagreed with them, torture and death were a result for many who went against their theology. That was the mentality of those who developed the doctrine we have today called the PSA atonement.

There are many aspects and theories of the atonement that contain truth, and no one theory is 100% correct. There are many different views and aspects to the atonement within orthodoxy. The N.T. writers' emphasis on the atonement is on the side of expiation rather than propitiation, which is only used twice in the epistle of 1 John.

Gods’ wrath is still future and will judge those who reject His Sons atonement for sin. Gods’ wrath was not poured out on the Son for sin otherwise there would be no future wrath from God because of sin. Jesus said: “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The reason my Father loves Me is that I lay down My life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord” (John 10:11; 17-18). Or again, while speaking to the multitudes, Jesus declared: “Whatever the Father does the Son also does” (John 5:19). And Jesus said: “Now my heart is troubled. ‘Father, save me from this hour?’ No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!” (John 12:27-28)

The clear picture that emerges from Scripture is that Jesus was not the unfortunate victim of the angry Father. Rather, the Father and the Son were working in concert through the cross to pay for the sins of humanity and make atonement. There is no division of will between the Father and the Son. Jesus’ atonement was done in love which provided covering and forgiveness of sins as He declared was a ransom.

And this view harmonizes with God’s wrath that is still yet to come and was not poured out on Jesus on the cross. Our loving God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked (Ezekiel 33:11). Our loving Father took pleasure to bruise His Son to reconcile us to God as an offering for our sins. (Isaiah 53:10).

It is by faith in the Son through the message of the gospel that saves and unbelief which condemns. The gospel is for all mankind, all the world, for everyone. God desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:4). God is the Savior of all men, especially of believers (1 Timothy. 4:10), For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to everyone (Titus 2:11) For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all (Romans 11:32). The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9).

God sent His Son into the world to take away the sin of the world (John 1:29) and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for sins of the whole world. (1 John 2:2). and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again (2 Corinthians 5:15). But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone. (Hebrews 2:9)

hope this helps !!!

The sin issue !

Sin is the transgression of the law- 1 John 3:4. Sin is known thorough/by the law- Romans 7:7. The law is a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ- Galatians 3:24-25. Where there is no law there is no transgression of the law- Romans 4:14. Sin is not counted against anyone when there is no law. Romans 5:13.

In Colossians 2:13-15 we read the following: When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Ephesians 2:14-15: For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility.

2 Corinthians 5:18-20: All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.

So, we see from the above scriptures it’s not sin per se that keeps the sinner from God it is unbelief. Faith is the issue. In Romans 5:1-2 we read the following: Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God

Its unbelief that keeps one from salvation and places them under condemnation. This is taught throughout the N.T. gospels and epistles. Here we see what Jesus and Paul declared below.

John 3:18: Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

John 3:36: Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them

Romans 11:20: Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith.

Hebrews 3:19: So, we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief. Cf Heb 4:6- unbelief

Jesus said: “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The reason my Father loves Me is that I lay down My life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord” (John 10:11; 17-18).

Or again, while speaking to the multitudes, Jesus declared: “Whatever the Father does the Son also does” (John 5:19). And Jesus said: “Now my heart is troubled. ‘Father, save me from this hour?’ No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!” (John 12:27-28)

The clear picture that emerges from Scripture is that Jesus was not the unfortunate victim of the angry Father receiving His anger, wrath, vengeance or retribution.

Rather, the Father and the Son were working in concert through the cross to pay for the sins of humanity and make atonement. There is no division of will between the Father and the Son. They remained in perfect unity, harmony, oneness of purpose, fellowship while making atonement for sin a reality and the forgiveness of that sin through His death, burial and resurrection from the dead.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:
First-you are no scholar brother-Secondly-I have 3 books on Atonement/Kippur on my Computer-and slowly going through it.
I have dozens of books so what ?

Make an argument with your own words in this thread . Pick any post I have made here and let’s debate it.

And you have not proven anything yet and have only made an assertion. Claiming victory does not mean it occurred.

Last edited:
I was showing you what Judaism believes not what I believe.

No one in the NT as I have proven quotes Is 53:4 or 10. The 2 passages PSA is founded upon.

hope this helps !!!
Isaiah 53:10 states that the Messiah was to be a Trespass Offering, and this chapter is quoted in the New Testament:

Isaiah 53:1 is quoted in John 12:38 and Romans 10:16,

Isaiah 53:4 is quoted in Matthew 8:17,
Isaiah 53:5,6 is quoted in 1 Peter 2:24,25,
Isaiah 53:9 is quoted in 1 Peter 2:23, and
Isaiah 53:12 is quoted in Luke 22:37.

In the famous messianic prophecy of Isaiah 53:10, speaking about the death of Jesus the Messiah, it states that God will make Him an offering for sin. The word for offering for guilt is asham, which has to do with the Trespass Offering, meaning that Jesus removed the harmful effects of our Trespass sins.

I notice I am under "continual violation of long posts" Not done on purpose and have asked the @Administrator to edit when he sees fit.

--This is to show you are in error.--
-----------------------------------------
-------------------

You-

No one in the NT as I have proven quotes Is 53:4 or 10. The 2 passages PSA is founded upon.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shalom
J.

Isaiah 53:10 states that the Messiah was to be a Trespass Offering, and this chapter is quoted in the New Testament:

In the famous messianic prophecy of Isaiah 53:10, speaking about the death of Jesus the Messiah, it states that God will make Him an offering for sin. The word for offering for guilt is asham, which has to do with the Trespass Offering, meaning that Jesus removed the harmful effects of our Trespass sins.

I notice I am under "continual violation of long posts" Not done on purpose and have asked the @Administrator to edit when he sees fit.

--This is to show you are in error.--
-----------------------------------------
-------------------

You-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shalom
J.
To prove me wrong you must show where the NT quotes and affirms Isaiah 53:4 and 10.

I’ve done my due diligence and research and it’s nowhere to be found. I state biblical facts not “ theories “ on the atonement.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:
He is so edited he has tried go the LXX, the very version that the orthodox Jewish arguments he uses despise so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
To prove me wrong you must show sheet the NT quotes and affirms Isaiah 53:4 and 10.

I’ve done my due diligence and research and it’s nowhere to be found. I state biblical facts not “ theories “ on the atonement.

hope this helps !!!
not my problem.
Pick your choice-LXX-Hebrew-Masoretic Text-Chabad-Five Megillot-Chumash-Torah, the Talmud's-Mishna.

J.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m talking about the New Testament I’m not under the OT.
I just showed you where Isaiah 53 IS quoted in the Brit Chadasha.

Do you even know what a Asham is? You have done an "intense study" but never noticed Is. 53 IS quoted in the Brit Chadasha?

I just showed you where Isaiah 53 IS quoted in the Brit Chadasha.

Do you even know what a Asham is? You have done an "intense study" but never noticed Is. 53 IS quoted in the Brit Chadasha?
No I have the volume that’s shows every single OT passage directly quoted in the NT by Beale . It’s not in there and you are basing it on inference.

Back
Top Bottom