Did Jesus Shed His Humanity at the Ascension?

IS JESUS STILL A MAN?
Civic and I have discussed this maybe 20 times over the years but for those who have not heard my position: NO, Jesus is no longer a man.

5. Col 2:9 is in the present and future. Jesus is in Heaven, it says the fullness of deity dwells in Him
All the Fulness of Deity dwells in Him (permanently) as per Colossians 1:19 and Colossians 2:9.
This is how the passage reads and how it is to be understood in its " CONTEXT " from Colossians 1:19;2:9 concerning Christ being fully God lacking nothing in His Divinity while on this earth and His Ascension and also His humanity which remains permanent. The Incarnation was not temporal but Christ remains forever God in the flesh. All the fulness of Deity remains bodily.

In Colossians 1:19 and Colossians 2:9 the Apostle Paul said, For in HIM (CHRIST) ALL of the “ fullness of deity dwells bodily. “Did Paul use the word fullness there to mean partially? NO as Jesus did not empty Himself of His Deity. Jesus Divinity is FULL, complete lacking in nothing. The ENTIRE Fullness of Deity dwells (is present) bodily in Jesus. In Colossians 1:19 it is describing His earthly ministry and Colossians 2:9 it is describing His Post Resurrection/Ascension Glory as God Incarnate.

Colossians 1:19-20
For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven
Colossians 2:9-10- For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form,10 and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority;

Colossians 3:1- Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

Paul is talking in Colossians chapters 2-3 about the glorified resurrected Christ now seated at the right hand of God not the earthly Christ pre resurrection. This is a slam dunk that He is in a human glorified resurrection body and that He continues to have all the fullness of Deity dwelling bodily in the present.

Now read the Greek below on the present ongoing meaning of DWELLS . The bodily dwelling of Deity is permanent not temporary. The Incarnation was PERMANENT.

κατοικεῖ (katoikei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 2730: To dwell in, settle in, be established in (permanently), inhabit. From kata and oikeo; to house permanently, i.e. Reside.

8.2 σωματικός, ή, όν; σωματικῶςa: (derivatives of σῶμαa ‘body,’ 8.1) pertaining to a physical body—‘bodily, physical, bodily form.’[1] Louw Nida

Expositor's Greek Testament
Colossians 2:9. in Him and in Him alone.—κατοικεῖ: “permanently dwells”. The reference is to the Exalted State, not only on account of the present, but of the context and Paul’s Christology generally.—πᾶν τὸ πλήρωμα τῆς θεότητος: “all the fulness of the Godhead”. πᾶν is emphatic, the whole fulness dwells in Christ.

“Dwelleth” is katoikei (κατοικει). Oikeō (Ὀικεω) means “to be at home.” Kata (Κατα), prefixed, means “down,” thus showing permanence. The compound verb was used of the permanent residents of a town as compared with the transient community. The verb is in the present tense, showing durative action. The translation reads: “Because in Him there is continuously and permanently at home all the fulness of the Godhead in bodily fashion.”

hope this helps !!!

All the best translations say he vanished. Where does thT LEAD? to him becoming invisible, and another scripture states he is invisible. Col 1:15 1Tim 1:17
John 1:18
No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.

John 6:46
No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father.

Col 1:15
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

1 Tim 1:17
17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Tim 6:13-16
I charge you 14 to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which God will bring about in his own time — God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

1 John 4:12
12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

As we see above its not Jesus who is invisible its God the Father.

hope this helps !!!

We are not told directly in the scriptures what happened to His body, though we do know He left it behind on the cross. and it was gone when they opened the tomb? do you know anything else about specifically His body between death and resurrection?
Nothing happened to His body and it did not undego any decay either since decaying happens on day 4.

This verse alone negates everything you believe about Jesus real body and the physical resurrection of Jesus as a real man with a real human body.

John 2:19-22
Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.” 20 They replied, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?” 21 But the temple he had spoken of was his body. 22 After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken.

The disciples believed Him after His PHYSICAL/DEAD body was raised from the dead. The question is why don't you believe ?

hope this helps !!!

really Civic, where did i say Jesus pealed his skin like a snake.
What I said is that He departed it at the cross/ which we all do in death.
David and others left their bodies and they existed as ?what? till Jesus lifted them from hell, and they still did not get a new body then. or do you disagree thay Jesus on the cross left His body when He died.
Are you denying that you have used these exact words many times?

his body was discarded like a garment. ?

Job 19:26
And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

Job believed in the physical, bodily resurrection from the dead where he would once again see God in his physical flesh body.

So did Paul face to face with God and OT saints

1 Cor 13:12- Now we see but a dim reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

Genesis 32:30
So Jacob named the place Peniel, saying, "Indeed, I have seen God face to face, and yet my life was spared."

Numbers 12:8
I speak with him face to face, clearly and not in riddles; he sees the form of the LORD. Why then were you unafraid to speak against My servant Moses?"

why don't you believe this passage like Job did @sethproton ?

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:
I don't have to accept what you declare are the best translations. You can't discuss the word itself because you lack the knowledge. I can.

You are avoiding clearly stating that the human body of Jesus Christ perished. Is that short enough for you?

You know you are making a mistake with your claim above that we don't know what happened after the cross to the body of Christ. We know from the Scriptures that Thomas handled the wounded body of Jesus Christ after His body was Resurrected.

You can face God with such nonsense. It is your choice but don't disconnect yourself from reality by pretending we don't know. We do. You're avoiding the obvious.
Yes that would be my guess based on what I know of the Bible, his body was disposed of, after all, none of the post resurrection bodies looked or sounded like him until he wanted them to know it was Him,
As far as translations, you have one thtat saus something different than He disappeared?
Thomas handled a body and it is the only apearance where those sacrs are mentioned.

All the best translations say he vanished. Where does thT LEAD? to him becoming invisible, and another scripture states he is invisible. Col 1:15 1Tim 1:17
This could spin off into an interesting subject, at least I think it is, of just what Jesus meant when he said he came down from ABOVE John 8:23 or verses like 1 Cor 15: 40

But not to get off on those things let me ask you Seth. When Jesus appeared in the room with his disciples and showed him his hands and feet with the nail marks in him.....was it a real body and real wounds.....or just an illusion? What exactly are you believing I'm still not getting it.

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

1- It declares there IS One God AND One Mediator
2- This Mediator is in heaven
3- This One Mediator who is in heaven is a man
4- This was written decades post Resurrection/Ascension
5- One must deny the One God if they deny the One Mediator
6- To have one without the other cannot be found in the text
7- To argue against a present mediator who is a man is to be DISHONEST with the text
8- To do so is only for a person with a bias or agenda
9- This single text alone crumbles his theology on His present manhood
10- His present bodily manhood is presented in this passage and dozens of others in the NT that confirm the gospel- His bodily Resurrection from the dead- the core teaching of the N.T. gospel of Jesus Christ.

hope this helps !!!

This could spin off into an interesting subject, at least I think it is, of just what Jesus meant when he said he came down from ABOVE John 8:23 or verses like 1 Cor 15: 40

But not to get off on those things let me ask you Seth. When Jesus appeared in the room with his disciples and showed him his hands and feet with the nail marks in him.....was it a real body and real wounds.....or just an illusion? What exactly are you believing I'm still not getting it.
it was an illusion. Just like when he apeared before Mary and she didn't know Him, and at the beach before Peter and he didn't know him, and on the road to emmaus. Nobody recognized him, but he did ssomething special for Thomas.

All the Fulness of Deity dwells in Him (permanently) as per Colossians 1:19 and Colossians 2:9.
This is how the passage reads and how it is to be understood in its " CONTEXT " from Colossians 1:19;2:9 concerning Christ being fully God lacking nothing in His Divinity while on this earth and His Ascension and also His humanity which remains permanent. The Incarnation was not temporal but Christ remains forever God in the flesh. All the fulness of Deity remains bodily.

In Colossians 1:19 and Colossians 2:9 the Apostle Paul said, For in HIM (CHRIST) ALL of the “ fullness of deity dwells bodily. “Did Paul use the word fullness there to mean partially? NO as Jesus did not empty Himself of His Deity. Jesus Divinity is FULL, complete lacking in nothing. The ENTIRE Fullness of Deity dwells (is present) bodily in Jesus. In Colossians 1:19 it is describing His earthly ministry and Colossians 2:9 it is describing His Post Resurrection/Ascension Glory as God Incarnate.

Colossians 1:19-20
For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven
Colossians 2:9-10- For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form,10 and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority;

Colossians 3:1- Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

Paul is talking in Colossians chapters 2-3 about the glorified resurrected Christ now seated at the right hand of God not the earthly Christ pre resurrection. This is a slam dunk that He is in a human glorified resurrection body and that He continues to have all the fullness of Deity dwelling bodily in the present.

Now read the Greek below on the present ongoing meaning of DWELLS . The bodily dwelling of Deity is permanent not temporary. The Incarnation was PERMANENT.

κατοικεῖ (katoikei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 2730: To dwell in, settle in, be established in (permanently), inhabit. From kata and oikeo; to house permanently, i.e. Reside.

8.2 σωματικός, ή, όν; σωματικῶςa: (derivatives of σῶμαa ‘body,’ 8.1) pertaining to a physical body—‘bodily, physical, bodily form.’[1] Louw Nida

Expositor's Greek Testament
Colossians 2:9. in Him and in Him alone.—κατοικεῖ: “permanently dwells”. The reference is to the Exalted State, not only on account of the present, but of the context and Paul’s Christology generally.—πᾶν τὸ πλήρωμα τῆς θεότητος: “all the fulness of the Godhead”. πᾶν is emphatic, the whole fulness dwells in Christ.

“Dwelleth” is katoikei (κατοικει). Oikeō (Ὀικεω) means “to be at home.” Kata (Κατα), prefixed, means “down,” thus showing permanence. The compound verb was used of the permanent residents of a town as compared with the transient community. The verb is in the present tense, showing durative action. The translation reads: “Because in Him there is continuously and permanently at home all the fulness of the Godhead in bodily fashion.”

hope this helps !!!
Colossians speaks of Jesus now so yes His deity is fully restored, now. But he was still God on earth, just emptied

Colossians speaks of Jesus now so yes His deity is fully restored, now. But he was still God on earth, just emptied
And its bodily (soma) which ALWAYS means a literal, material, physical, tangible body.

You cannot escape that truth from the bible and the lexicons which define the word soma( body ).

Yes that would be my guess based on what I know of the Bible, his body was disposed of, after all, none of the post resurrection bodies looked or sounded like him until he wanted them to know it was Him,
As far as translations, you have one thtat saus something different than He disappeared?
Thomas handled a body and it is the only apearance where those sacrs are mentioned.
It was the first day of the week, and that very evening, while the disciples were together with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them. “Peace be with you!” He said to them. After He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. John 20:19,20

And then the verses,

Now Thomas called Didymus,d one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”But he replied, “Unless I see the nail marks in His hands, and put my finger where the nails have been, and put my hand into His side, I will never believe.”Eight days later, His disciples were once again inside with the doors locked, and Thomas was with them. Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.”Then Jesus said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and look at My hands. Reach out your hand and put it into My side. Stop doubting and believe.” John 20:37

So you in the quote box you put forth that,,,"Thomas handled a body and it is the only apearance where those sacrs are mentioned" .

So you're saying Jesus fabricated the holes in his hands and feet and the spear mark in his side. So when Jesus said IT WAS his side you're saying it was NOT really his side or at least you're saying the wounds are fabricated. I'm hoping if you think through on what you're saying you're admit this can not be true. If it were true that means if you were in that room that day, you could stand in front of Jesus and say to him,

"Well Lord we both know that's not your REAL body even though you've implied that it is. And no Lord I'm not going to put my finger into your side....why? It's not real anyway."

What do you think he would have said to you? Do you really think he would have said to you something like,

"Ahhhh a smart one you are and very insightful! You've found me out, those aren't the real wounds that I received anyway. You're right seeing it's all just appearance and not real it's meaningless for you to thrust your hand into MY SIDE."

Of course Jesus wouldn't have said that. He would have been grieved by such a one rejecting the obvious. The whole thing of showing them his wounds and even telling them to put their finger in the side wound.....it's to prove this is my real physical body the one that walked among you for the thirty years and the one that received the wounds. What else could it mean except that?

It was the first day of the week, and that very evening, while the disciples were together with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them. “Peace be with you!” He said to them. After He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. John 20:19,20

And then the verses,

Now Thomas called Didymus,d one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”But he replied, “Unless I see the nail marks in His hands, and put my finger where the nails have been, and put my hand into His side, I will never believe.”Eight days later, His disciples were once again inside with the doors locked, and Thomas was with them. Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.”Then Jesus said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and look at My hands. Reach out your hand and put it into My side. Stop doubting and believe.” John 20:37

So you in the quote box you put forth that,,,"Thomas handled a body and it is the only apearance where those sacrs are mentioned" .

So you're saying Jesus fabricated the holes in his hands and feet and the spear mark in his side. So when Jesus said IT WAS his side you're saying it was NOT really his side or at least you're saying the wounds are fabricated. I'm hoping if you think through on what you're saying you're admit this can not be true. If it were true that means if you were in that room that day, you could stand in front of Jesus and say to him,

"Well Lord we both know that's not your REAL body even though you've implied that it is. And no Lord I'm not going to put my finger into your side....why? It's not real anyway."

What do you think he would have said to you? Do you really think he would have said to you something like,

"Ahhhh a smart one you are and very insightful! You've found me out, those aren't the real wounds that I received anyway. You're right seeing it's all just appearance and not real it's meaningless for you to thrust your hand into MY SIDE."

Of course Jesus wouldn't have said that. He would have been grieved by such a one rejecting the obvious. The whole thing of showing them his wounds and even telling them to put their finger in the side wound.....it's to prove this is my real physical body the one that walked among you for the thirty years and the one that received the wounds. What else could it mean except that?
It would mean Jesus was deceiving everyone if His Resurrected body was not real and just a mirage, something He took on and off like a light switch turning on and off for their benefit. It also makes all the N.T. promises by Jesus and the Apostles about our future resurrection hopeless. To deny the bodily Resurrection/Ascension is to deny the very gospel itself for which Jesus and the Apostles gave their lives as Martyr's.

I've already referenced His bodily experience with Thomas. Other have too. You're ignoring it. Thomas "handled the wounds" of Jesus Christ and declared

Joh 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. I have no idea why you're ignoring this other than to hold to your own false doctrine.

Why do I have to do this Seth? Some translator choose that word. I don't have to make the same choice. Tell me why I must respect and honor their choice?

Why are you saying this body is different than the body that actually received those wounds? You are actually insisting that God "faked" the wounds on a different bodily form?

it was an illusion. Just like when he apeared before Mary and she didn't know Him, and at the beach before Peter and he didn't know him, and on the road to emmaus. Nobody recognized him, but he did ssomething special for Thomas.
No one recognized Him because He closed their eyes , hid His true identity from them until it was in His perfect time to reveal Himself to them. Just like the parables and gospel were hidden, veiled to some so too was His resurrection hidden from most and revealed to only a few. Until God opens up one’s eyes , heart and mind it remains hidden, veiled to them . Jesus did the same thing with His bodily Resurrection until it was time to reveal himself raised from the dead to those He chose to reveal that too.

And just like Jesus hid the parables and gospel , resurrection from them understanding its truth dies not mean those things were not true, they were veiled and hidden from their understanding. The exact same thing was done here with Jesus and His resurrection. In His timing it was revealed and their eyes, heart and mind were opened up by Him so they could see, perceive and understand.

The disciples did not understand the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus which is the gospel. They did not believe it until they physically saw Jesus Resurrected from the dead and He opened up their mind to see and understand.

Matthew 16:8-11
Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, “You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? 9 Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 11 How is it you don’t understand that I was not talking to you about bread?

Mark 7:18
And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;

Mark 8:31-33
He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. 32 He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.33 But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. “Get behind me, Satan!” he said. “You do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

Luke 9:43-45
While everyone was marveling at all that Jesus did, he said to his disciples, 44 “Listen carefully to what I am about to tell you: The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men.” 45 But they did not understand what this meant. It was hidden from them, so that they did not grasp it, and they were afraid to ask him about it.

Jesus predicts His death a 3rd time

Luke 18:31-34

Jesus took the Twelve aside and told them, “We are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written by the prophets about the Son of Man will be fulfilled. 32 He will be delivered over to the Gentiles. They will mock him, insult him and spit on him; 33 they will flog him and kill him. On the third day he will rise again.”

34 The disciples did not understand any of this. Its meaning was hidden from them, and they did not know what he was talking about.

Luke 24:25-26

He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?

John 7:39
By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

John 12:16
At first His disciples did not understand these things, but after Jesus was glorified they remembered what had been done to Him, and they realized that these very things had also been written about Him.

John 13
Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand…. I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am who I am.”

Jesus promised the disciples He would bring to their remembrance when Pentecost came and the Holy Spirit would be in them and guide them into all truth.

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you

John 16:7
"It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart I will send him unto you."

John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Bible 101.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:
First with Mary and Peter I'd say you're engaging in wild speculation. There are good solid rebuttals to a thinking that Jesus had some type of put on form that Mary and Peter wouldn't know it was him. 1) Mary came to the tomb while it was still dark. She thought the voice she heard was a gardener. Point there wasn't much light. explaining why she didn't know it was the Lord right off. 2) Peter and others at the lake. They were out on the lake, Jesus was on the shore.

Jesus called out to them telling them to throw the nets to a certain place. How far was Jesus from them in the boat. It could even been as far as 100 yards or the length of a football field. You're not going to know right off who it might be calling, but Peter was pretty quick on picking it up believing it was the Lord. 3) the disciples on the road to Emmaus it does seem possible that he caused their vision to see a different image.....but one thing he didn't say to them....he did not say to them this is my image. He made no claim whatsoever about anything. I think that's something significant you might consider.

With Thomas and disciples though in the room he told them it WAS his body and the material of his body. He said put your hand (I believe it meant finger) into the wound of my side. In other words feel the reality of the physical ness of what it is. That's why he told him to make physical contract with his body that is to confirm it was physical and that the wounds were real.

If it weren't true physicalness then the whole things was a lie. The whole point Jesus was trying to make would not have been valid at all. How could you have had something valid and be a deception? I trust you would concede and admit you couldn't.

First with Mary and Peter I'd say you're engaging in wild speculation. There are good solid rebuttals to a thinking that Jesus had some type of put on form that Mary and Peter wouldn't know it was him. 1) Mary came to the tomb while it was still dark. She thought the voice she heard was a gardener. Point there wasn't much light. explaining why she didn't know it was the Lord right off. 2) Peter and others at the lake. They were out on the lake, Jesus was on the shore.

Jesus called out to them telling them to throw the nets to a certain place. How far was Jesus from them in the boat. It could even been as far as 100 yards or the length of a football field. You're not going to know right off who it might be calling, but Peter was pretty quick on picking it up believing it was the Lord. 3) the disciples on the road to Emmaus it does seem possible that he caused their vision to see a different image.....but one thing he didn't say to them....he did not say to them this is my image. He made no claim whatsoever about anything. I think that's something significant you might consider.

With Thomas and disciples though in the room he told them it WAS his body and the material of his body. He said put your hand (I believe it meant finger) into the wound of my side. In other words feel the reality of the physical ness of what it is. That's why he told him to make physical contract with his body that is to confirm it was physical and that the wounds were real.

If it weren't true physicalness then the whole things was a lie. The whole point Jesus was trying to make would not have been valid at all. How could you have had something valid and be a deception? I trust you would concede and admit you couldn't.
Amen and again I say, Amen !!!

you are saying that Him hiding his face is fine, but if he put on a different body, that is a lie? and where did he get the various sets of clothes for each desguise?
Also,The men in the boat, after eating, sill wanted to ask who he was.

People seem to overlook the fact that man was created in God's image. Adam chose to rebel against God and chose the fruit of knowledge of good and evil. Jesus comes as the "Last Adam" to give humanity the opportunity to choose again. Jesus obeyed God perfectly. He represents humanity in obedience as Adam represents fallen man in unrighteous rebellion. So yes, Jesus is still both man and God (the "Last Adam" and the "Second Man").
Thank you for the reply, It's right on by the way.

Back
Top Bottom