An Article on free will

Sorry you never came close

Acts 16:30–32 (KJV 1900) — 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. 32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

Acts 2:37–38 (KJV 1900) — 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

John 6:28 (KJV 1900) — 28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

Never is the answer nothing but it is believe, repent

You were refuted here as well

John 6:27 (NASB 2020) — 27 Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that lasts for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.”

Calvinists tend toward isolating verses from their context do they can read their theology into the text

The phrase work of God has been defined for us by verse 28

John 6:28 (NASB 2020) — 28 Therefore they said to Him, “What are we to do, so that we may accomplish the works of God?”

In context its meaning is that which God requires of man

Repeating the same failed claims changes nothing

John 6:27 (NASB 2020) — 27 Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that lasts for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.”

Jesus tells them there is something they must do to obtain the food which last for eternal life

in context it is to believe on him

John 6:35–36 (NASB 2020) — 35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; the one who comes to Me will not be hungry, and the one who believes in Me will never be thirsty. 36 But I said to you that you have indeed seen Me, and yet you do not believe.

John 6:28 (NASB 2020) — 28 Therefore they said to Him, “What are we to do, so that we may accomplish the works of God?”

Again this establishes the meaning of the phrase the work of God as that which is required by God

John 6:29 (NASB 2020) — 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

Jesus tells them they must believe

John 6:30 (NASB 2020) — 30 So they said to Him, “What then are You doing as a sign, so that we may see, and believe You? What work are You performing?

The jews understand him to be telling them they must believe.

An understanding confirmed by Christ as per verse 35 above

They must believe

An understanding confirmed by scripture

Acts 16:30–31 (NASB 2020) — 30 and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

even Calvinist commentators agree with this obvious reading

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Even the notes to the Geneva bible refute you
Verse 29
5. Men torment themselves in vain when they try to please God without faith.
g. That is, this is the work that God requires, that you believe in me, and therefore he calls them back to faith.
Geneva Bible Notes (1599). (Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2003), Jn 6:28–29.

as do other sources

Believe. Faith is put as a moral act or work. The work of God is to believe. Faith includes all the works which God requires. The Jews’ question contemplates numerous works. Jesus’ answer directs them to one work. Canon Westcott justly observes that “this simple formula contains the complete solution of the relation of faith and works.”11 Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament (vol. 2; New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887), 148–149.

What precisely is it that God waits for us to do, and will be satisfied with our doing? To which Jesus, always ready to meet the sincere inquirer, gives the explicit answer (ver. 29) τοῦτό ἐστι … ἐκεῖνος. If God has sent a messenger it is because there is need of such interposition, and the first duty must be to listen believingly to this messenger.

Marcus Dods, The Gospel of St. John (New York: George H. Doran Company, n.d.), 752.

The meaning is not,—that faith is wrought in us by God, is the work of God; but that the truest way of working the work of God is to believe on Him whom He hath sent.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 761.

Mindlessly repeating your view does not negate what the scripture clearly shows

You are still quoting your god Calvin as support for your traditions of men (Matthew 15:9). Now, let's see what happens when you apply your free-willian philosophy to Holy Scripture - here's a hint, it's no longer Holy.

Your adulteration of Holy Scripture is evident in your quotations augmented with your heart's thoughts in your posts:
TomL traditions of men Apostolic testimony
TomL 16:30-31 (TV 1900) - 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe according to the judgment by your own initiative on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31 (KJV 1900) - 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
TomL 2:37-38 (TV 1900) - 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent according to the judgment by your own initiative, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 2:37-38 (KJV 1900) - 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
And so go your adulterations of Holy Scripture again and again and again.

The Lord eliminates your purported ability to discern according to the judgment by your own initiative the very Righteousness of God when He asked "And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right?" (Luke 12:57), so man's will is incapable of determining the "choosing" of God to amy degree; in reality, Christ alone chooses man unto salvation (John 15:16, John 15:19) with man being the blessed receiver of God's great work. Mere man is not superior to Jesus the Lord who says "Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner'" (John 5:19) and again He mentions initiative in "I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 5:30), but your traditions of men (Matthew 15:9) is that according to the judgment by your own initiative you do choose Righteous Jesus as per your false free-willian philosophy.

Here is your first problem

This bread, his flesh is given for the world not some unconditionally select few but the world

so you can toss your unbiblical doctrine of limited atonement

And Jesus stated

John 6:27 (KJV 1900) — 27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

upon which the Jews asked

John 6:28 (KJV 1900) — 28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

but the answer is not nothing rather

John 6:29 (KJV 1900) — 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

they are told they must believe

So Jesus tells them there is something they must do

here is your second error

This is what you would call synergism and is contrary to your belief in monergism

John 6:27

John 6:27 (KJV 1900) — 27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

Nothing there speaks of the fruit of the Spirit

And unbelievers do not experience the fruit of the Spirit

The fruit of the spirit is for believers, those in Christ, who have been freed by him, those who are led by the Holy Spirit

Galatians 5:1–26 (KJV 1900) — 1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. 2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love. 7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth? 8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you. 9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. 10 I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubleth you shall bear his judgment, whosoever he be. 11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased. 12 I would they were even cut off which trouble you. 13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Not unbelievers

For more on John 6:29 see here

Since I previously told you that I believe in complete atonement (proof post #1,802), then you can toss your nonsensical "you can toss your unbiblical doctrine of limited atonement" foolishness right into your false free-willian philosophy.

Now, let's again see what happens when you apply your free-willian philosophy to the Holy Word of God - here's a hint, it's no longer the Holy Word of God.

Your adulteration of Holy Word of God is evident in your quotations augmented with your heart's thoughts in your posts:
The word of TomL The Word of God
TomL 6:29 (TV 1900) - 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is not the work of God but this is the work of man, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. John 6:29 (KJV 1900) - 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
And so go your adulterations of the Holy Word of God again and again and again.

continued to post #2,502

Last edited:
continued from post #2,501

Again Christs choice of his apostles

His disciples were given to him by the Father.

John 17:6–12 (NASB 2020) — 6 “I have revealed Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have followed Your word.

From them he chose 12 to be apostles

Luke 6:13–16 (ESV) — 13 And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles: 14 Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, 15 and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon who was called the Zealot, 16 and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.

John 6:70 (ESV) — 70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve? And yet one of you is a devil.”

John 13:18 (UASV) — 18 I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who eats My bread has lifted up his heel against Me.’

clearly Christ chose his apostles

Ye have not chosen me. The word here translated chosen is that from which is derived the word elect, and means the same thing. It is frequently thus translated, Mar. 13:20; Mat. 24:22, 24, 31; Col. 3:12. It refers here, doubtless, to his choosing or electing them to be apostles. He says that it was not because they had chosen him to be their teacher and guide, but because he had designated them to be his apostles. See Jn. 6:70; also Mat. 4:18–22.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 341.

consider the various choices here

Matthew 22:1–14 (ESV) — 1 And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son, 3 and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come. 4 Again he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.” ’ 5 But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. 7 The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.’ 10 And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests. 11 “But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment. 12 And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Think of how many times passages like John 15:16 (“You did not choose me; I chose you…”) are used as proof texts for the Calvinistic belief of individual election to salvation when clearly Jesus is speaking to His servants who are being prepared to take the invitation to the rest of the world. They are using Divine Choice #1 as proof for their belief about Divine Choice #3.

Divine Choice #1: The choice of His servants, who were given the task of sending out the invitation.

Divine Choice #2: The choice to send the invitation first to His own and then to all others.

Divine Choice #3: The choice to allow only those clothed in proper wedding garments to enter the feast.

In John 15:16 we have the choice of the apostles

In your closing paragraph, you wrote "In John 15:16 we have the choice of the apostles" which is true, but you omitted so much treasure given by Lord Jesus according to His sayings, so let's see.

No Christian calls the Word of God "garbage", and we find you calling the Word of God “you did not choose Me, but I chose you” (John 15:16) and “I chose you out of the world” (John 15:19, includes salvation) that God had me proclaim to you "garbage" about this wonderful Word of God (proof post #1,116)!!!

Here is more from the same proof post. You propounded "As for your verses First you simply repeat Christ choice of his disciples but nothing states Christ chose them unconditionally for salvation" respecting John 15:16-19, and again I perceive that you switched to use "disciples" as an in-situ replacement for "apostles", yet you contradict yourself in your self-will because you reviled these angelic majesties by effectively labeling the Apostles as deceivers with your "Nothing mentioned about Joseph and Matthias being in the audience on that ocassion" as recorded in post #645 of which your thoughts there daringly contradict angelic majesties testimony of the Apostle Peter "men who have accompanied us all the time" (Acts 1:21) while Peter was with all the Apostles.

Joseph and Matthias were a part of the audience in the room when Lord Jesus says "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) and "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation).

So, you call the Apostles all liars because all the remaining Apostles were with the Apostle Peter when Peter testified the Apostolic Right:
TomL Wrong Apostolic Right
21 Therefore it is necessary that of the men who have not accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us - 22 do not concern yourselves whether from the beginning with the baptism of John until the day that He was taken up from us - one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection.” 23 So they put forward two men, Joseph called Barsabbas (who was also called Justus), and Matthias.
(TomL 1:21-23)
21 Therefore it is necessary that of the men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us - 22 beginning with the baptism of John until the day that He was taken up from us - one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection.” 23 So they put forward two men, Joseph called Barsabbas (who was also called Justus), and Matthias.
(Acts 1:21-23)
In the upper room occupied by Jesus' disciples who put forward Matthias and Joseph were Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon the Zealot, and Judas the son of James (Acts 1:13), and these disciples recognized Matthias and Joseph as disciples that were with them from the beginning, and not a single disciple contradicted Peter's prounouncement of "men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us - beginning with the baptism of John until the day that He was taken up from us".

Thus, Matthias and Joseph are at least two more people beyond the Apostles for a minimum total of 13 disciples who are specifically identified at the supper covered in John chapters 13-17; therefore, Lord Jesus Christ's "you" in John 15:16 and John 15:19 extends well beyond the Apostles, in Truth (John 14:6)!

Christ uses "you" to indicate all Christians in all time are chosen by God alone unto salvation as well as to bring the message of Christ's salvation to the world when King Jesus majestically decrees "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) and "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation). Your heart's exclusion of us Christians from Lord Jesus Christ's blessed sayings is your false free-willian philosophy.

Your unscriptural preaching that belief in Christ is a work of man has been repeatedly proven false by the Word of God in this thread.

Every Christian Believing In The Son Whom The Father Has Sent Is The Work Of God​

Lord Jesus Christ says in clear, precise, and pure language: “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” (John 6:29).

A voice from Heaven was heard, saying "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5), and we Christians hear Christ.

Let's examine the context of the people's word, and, more importantly, the Word of God speaks the Truth (John 14:6) without human interpretation.

Let’s review the exchange:

they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?” Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” So they said to Him, “What then do You do for a sign, so that we may see, and believe You? What work do You perform? Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, ‘He gave them bread out of heaven to eat.’” Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread out of heaven, but it is My Father who gives you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world.
(John 6:28-33)

The people asked about their own work respecting salvation when they inquired “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God” (John 6:28), yet Christ rightly removed man’s work from anyplace respecting salvation when He responded “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29).

The people failed to understand, just like free-willian philosophers, that Lord Jesus removed the work of man from saving belief/faith with the Lord’s marvelous sayings of “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” (John 6:29). Do not be deceived, "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

The people followed up by asking/injecting the work of man, again, with “Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness” (John 6:31) in a manner that free-willian philosophers listen to the people instead of "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

The Lord shifts the focus from man’s purported control to God’s Sovereign control, this second time in the same exchange, with “Truly, truly, I say to you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread out of heaven, but it is My Father who gives you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world.
(John 6:32-33). "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

Behold, the Word of God establishes that faith/belief is given by God without any contribution by man (John 6:29) and, in like manner, life is given by the bread of God without any contribution by man (John 6:32-33).

PRAISE JESUS FOR HIS LOVINGKINDNESS!!!

In Truth (John 14:6), the Christ of us Christians intensifies that God works man regarding saving faith/belief, not man working, but truly the Bread of Life (John 6:35) as exclusive Savior!

Free-willian Philosophers convey things like “They obviously understood jesus to be saying what God requires of you is that you believe” (the word of TomL, see post #1,818) about the people recorded in John 6:28-33 in order for the free-willian heart’s treasure (Matthew 15:16-19) to justify adulterating the Word of God resulting in “This is NOT the work of God BUT THIS IS THE WORK OF MAN, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (the traditions of man, see Matthew 15:9).

The Lord uses the continuing exchange to illumine the people's, and free-willian, ignorance. The Word of God is precise and pure “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” (John 6:29) - "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

This examination needs to expand to the larger passage of "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal" (John 6:27), but this would be incomplete without the intervening passage culminating with "Then they said to Him, 'Lord, always give us this bread.' Jesus said to them, 'I am the Bread of Life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst'" (John 6:34-35).

Do not be confused about the "who comes to Me" in John 6:35 because the Lord says "he who practices the Truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God" (John 3:21), so we Christians work for God because God wrings our work/deeds out of us!

In John 6:27 and John 6:34-35, Jesus says He is our Christian's food (John 6:27), our Christian Bread of Life (John 6:35). "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

The Christ of us Christians says "I am the Living Bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh" (John 6:51).

We Christians work (John 6:27) for the Bread of Life (John 6:35) according to the Power of God (John 3:21), so we proclaim the glorious King of the Kingdom of God in the Power of God to the world; therefore, this "proclaiming" is working for the food enduring to eternal life (John 6:27). Christ gives Himself, the Bread of Life, to us Christians for we Christians partake in the food of the Body and Blood of Christ, so our wonderful Leader sustains and strengthens us for the works prepared for us beforehand by God to the Glory of God! God has set His seal on us Christians, that is, our seal is our very believing in the Son whom the Father has sent by the Grace of God for the Glory of God!

Praise the Lord for He explains our Christian work (John 6:27) is to eat the Bread of Life (John 6:35, John 6:51). Christ says "work" "for the food" (John 6:27) which means "work for Christ" as in fruit of the Spirit of the Living God (see bearing fruit in John 3:21 and John 15:5 and John 15:16 and Galatians 5:22-23), so Christ says not that believing in Christ is the work of man, so this means free-willian philosopher's "He told them there was a certain type of work they were to do and it was the work of faith so stop trying to twist the passage and say it wasn't so" (the word of Rockson regarding John 6:27, see post #1,847) is false according to the Word of God!

Free-willian Philosophers are under the delusion that "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal" (tthe Word of God, John 6:27) in their hearts translates to "Do not work for the food which perishes, but YOU HAVE THE ABILITY IN YOUR OWN INITIATIVE TO WORK for the food which endures to eternal life, SO YOU MUST CHOOSE WHETHER TO ACCEPT THE FOOD THAT the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal" (the word of free-willians) in spite of the Word of God sayings “And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right” (Luke 12:57) and
you did not choose Me, but I chose you” (John 15:16) and “I chose you out of the world” (John 15:19).

Free-willian's hearts even subtract "which the Son of Man will give to you" (John 6:27) about the food for which Jesus says "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life" (John 6:27). Jesus clearly states the righteous work of man is Fruit of the Spirit because the food is given by God to man which is another declaration about the exclusive power of God in the salvation of man. A crucial concept established by Jesus in John 6:27 is that the only people to receive Jesus' food are the people to whom Jesus gives the food, but free-willian philosophy ends up with people in hell who are failures of "the food which endures to eternal life" (John 6:27). This paragraph's explanation is all in the recorded Word of God in John 6:27 without stepping to another verse. "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

The Word in John 6:27 refers to the man's work which is truly the act of God in man; on the other hand, the Word in John 6:29 refers to man's belief which is truly the act of God in man.

In the first moment (John 6:27), Lord Jesus explains the outward evidence of us Christians controlled by our loving Father in Heaven, and in the second moment (John 6:29), Jesus explains the inward event of us Christians controlled by our loving Father in Heaven, and this Father declares "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

Your heart makes false statements about God and man. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE THE AUTHOR AND PERFECTER OF THE ONE FAITH!!!

continued from post #2,501

In your closing paragraph, you wrote "In John 15:16 we have the choice of the apostles" which is true, but you omitted so much treasure given by Lord Jesus according to His sayings, so let's see.

No Christian calls the Word of God "garbage", and we find you calling the Word of God “you did not choose Me, but I chose you” (John 15:16) and “I chose you out of the world” (John 15:19, includes salvation) that God had me proclaim to you "garbage" about this wonderful Word of God (proof post #1,116)!!!

IT's not scripture but your false interpretation of scripture which are Garbage as you mindlessly repeat the same thing time after time

All this has been addressed repeatedly and you bring nothing new but the same old assumptions

John 17:6–12 (NASB 2020) — 6 “I have revealed Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have followed Your word.

Luke 6:13–16 (ESV) — 13 And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles: 14 Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, 15 and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon who was called the Zealot, 16 and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.

John 6:70 (ESV) — 70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve? And yet one of you is a devil.”

John 13:18 (UASV) — 18 I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who eats My bread has lifted up his heel against Me.’

Ye have not chosen me. The word here translated chosen is that from which is derived the word elect, and means the same thing. It is frequently thus translated, Mar. 13:20; Mat. 24:22, 24, 31; Col. 3:12. It refers here, doubtless, to his choosing or electing them to be apostles. He says that it was not because they had chosen him to be their teacher and guide, but because he had designated them to be his apostles. See Jn. 6:70; also Mat. 4:18–22.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 341.

Matthew 22:1–14 (ESV) — 1 And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son, 3 and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come. 4 Again he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.” ’ 5 But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. 7 The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.’ 10 And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests. 11 “But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment. 12 And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Think of how many times passages like John 15:16 (“You did not choose me; I chose you…”) are used as proof texts for the Calvinistic belief of individual election to salvation when clearly Jesus is speaking to His servants who are being prepared to take the invitation to the rest of the world. They are using Divine Choice #1 as proof for their belief about Divine Choice #3.

Divine Choice #1: The choice of His servants, who were given the task of sending out the invitation.

Divine Choice #2: The choice to send the invitation first to His own and then to all others.

Divine Choice #3: The choice to allow only those clothed in proper wedding garments to enter the feast.

IT's not scripture but your false interpretation of scripture which are Garbage as you mindlessly repeat the same thing time after time

All this has been addressed repeatedly and you bring nothing new but the same old assumptions

the bible warns us in the last days many will depart from the faith and their ears burn with the teachings of men and their corrupt philosophies.

You are still quoting your god Calvin as support for your traditions of men (Matthew 15:9). Now, let's see what happens when you apply your free-willian philosophy to Holy Scripture - here's a hint, it's no longer Holy.

Your adulteration of Holy Scripture is evident in your quotations augmented with your heart's thoughts in your posts:
TomL traditions of menApostolic testimony
TomL 16:30-31 (TV 1900) - 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe according to the judgment by your own initiative on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.Acts 16:30-31 (KJV 1900) - 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
TomL 2:37-38 (TV 1900) - 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent according to the judgment by your own initiative, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.Acts 2:37-38 (KJV 1900) - 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
And so go your adulterations of Holy Scripture again and again and again.

The Lord eliminates your purported ability to discern according to the judgment by your own initiative the very Righteousness of God when He asked "And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right?" (Luke 12:57), so man's will is incapable of determining the "choosing" of God to amy degree; in reality, Christ alone chooses man unto salvation (John 15:16, John 15:19) with man being the blessed receiver of God's great work. Mere man is not superior to Jesus the Lord who says "Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner'" (John 5:19) and again He mentions initiative in "I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 5:30), but your traditions of men (Matthew 15:9) is that according to the judgment by your own initiative you do choose Righteous Jesus as per your false free-willian philosophy.

Since I previously told you that I believe in complete atonement (proof post #1,802), then you can toss your nonsensical "you can toss your unbiblical doctrine of limited atonement" foolishness right into your false free-willian philosophy.

Now, let's again see what happens when you apply your free-willian philosophy to the Holy Word of God - here's a hint, it's no longer the Holy Word of God.

Your adulteration of Holy Word of God is evident in your quotations augmented with your heart's thoughts in your posts:
The word of TomLThe Word of God
TomL 6:29 (TV 1900) - 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is not the work of God but this is the work of man, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.John 6:29 (KJV 1900) - 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
And so go your adulterations of the Holy Word of God again and again and again.

continued to post #2,502
Not my god but yours as you follow his theology and I oppose it

Calvinists tend toward isolating verses from their context do they can read their theology into the text

Jesus tells them there is something they must do to obtain the food which last for eternal life

How logical is it that he tells them there is something they must do and then turn around and deny they are to do anything

Your whole approach is irrational and built upon an assumed theology rather than scripture

but in context the thing he tells them to do is believe on him

John 6:35–36 (NASB 2020) — 35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; the one who comes to Me will not be hungry, and the one who believes in Me will never be thirsty. 36 But I said to you that you have indeed seen Me, and yet you do not believe.

Again this establishes the meaning of the phrase the work of God as that which is required by God

John 6:29 (NASB 2020) — 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

John 6:30 (NASB 2020) — 30 So they said to Him, “What then are You doing as a sign, so that we may see, and believe You? What work are You performing?

The jew understand him to be telling them they must believe.

They must believe

Acts 16:30–31 (NASB 2020) — 30 and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

God does not believe for anyone

They must do it

The grammar is clear

You subject

verb believe in the active voice

thus they are to believe

God is not believing
even Calvinist commentator agree with this obvious reading

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

and he is not alone as much as you wish otherwise

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

and is joined by the Calvinist Barnes

Verse 29
g. That is, this is the work that God requires, that you believe in me, and therefore he calls them back to faith.
Geneva Bible Notes (1599). (Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2003), Jn 6:28–29.

and other you just wish to ignore

Believe. Faith is put as a moral act or work. The work of God is to believe. Faith includes all the works which God requires. The Jews’ question contemplates numerous works. Jesus’ answer directs them to one work. Canon Westcott justly observes that “this simple formula contains the complete solution of the relation of faith and works.”11 Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament (vol. 2; New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887), 148–149.

What precisely is it that God waits for us to do, and will be satisfied with our doing? To which Jesus, always ready to meet the sincere inquirer, gives the explicit answer (ver. 29) τοῦτό ἐστι … ἐκεῖνος. If God has sent a messenger it is because there is need of such interposition, and the first duty must be to listen believingly to this messenger.

Marcus Dods, The Gospel of St. John (New York: George H. Doran Company, n.d.), 752.

The meaning is not,—that faith is wrought in us by God, is the work of God; but that the truest way of working the work of God is to believe on Him whom He hath sent.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 761.

Not my god but yours as you follow his theology and I oppose it

How logical is it that he tells them there is something they must do and then turn around and deny they are to do anything

Your whole approach is irrational and built upon an assumed theology rather than scripture

but in context the thing he tells them to do is believe on him

The jew understand him to be telling them they must believe.

They must believe

God does not believe for anyone

They must do it

The grammar is clear

You subject

verb believe in the active voice

thus they are to believe

God is not believing
even Calvinist commentator agree with this obvious reading

and he is not alone as much as you wish otherwise

and is joined by the Calvinist Barnes

Verse 29

and other you just wish to ignore

yes just another calvinist projecting lol- its his god and his false teachings which came from calvin via augustine. two of the most corrupt men that the church accepted as wolves in sheeps clothing- the tares among the wheat. the teaching of men who appeal to those with tickling ears.

2 Tim 4:3
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

the bible warns us in the last days many will depart from the faith and their ears burn with the teachings of men and their corrupt philosophies.
Yes that poster endlessly ignores rebuttal and repeats himself providing no evidence but his own opinions

2 Timothy 4
In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

calvin has duped them and he was duped by augustine.

1 Timothy 4
The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.

Are you a calvinist ? yes or no

Is your theology reformed ? yes or no

Do you believe tulip ? yes or no
It's so funny, he follows Calvin's theology, but he wants to claim those opposed to Calvin's teaching have Calvin as their God.

Of course, he simply ignores all the other voices rebutting his view.

It's so funny, he follows Calvin's theology, but he wants to claim those opposed to Calvin's teaching have Calvin as their God.

Of course, he simply ignores all the other voices rebutting his view.
yes notice how they project this all of the time.

I think as well if one embraces a non sensical position as you spelled out that Jesus could or would do this they run the risk of loosing all touch of reality. Nothing he would say about anything would have any meaning. My encouragement to readers is never let our good friend Calvinists do this to your minds. Just know that some of them or many of them are departing Calvinism even right now as we speak.

I think as well if one embraces a non sensical position as you spelled out that Jesus could or would do this they run the risk of loosing all touch of reality. Nothing he would say about anything would have any meaning. My encouragement to readers is never let our good friend Calvinists do this to your minds. Just know that some of them or many of them are departing Calvinism even right now as we speak.
Yes there is a big exodus of people coming out from the slavery of calvins doctrines. I have seen plenty of videos, testimonies from several online people doing interviews and sharing how God has opened their minds/hearts to the truth and have set them free. It is very liberating to say the least from being a former calvinist myself.

Greek Text (John 15:16):
"οὐχ ὑμεῖς με ἐξελέξασθε, ἀλλ’ ἐγὼ ἐξελεξάμην ὑμᾶς."

English Translation:
"You did not choose Me, but I chose you."

Morphological Analysis:
οὐχ (ouch):

Form: Negative particle.
Function: Negates the verb that follows.
Translation: "not."
ὑμεῖς (hymeis):

Form: Personal pronoun, nominative plural.
Function: Subject of the verb.
Translation: "you."
με (me):

Form: Personal pronoun, accusative singular.
Function: Direct object of the verb.
Translation: "Me."
ἐξελέξασθε (exelexasthe):

Form: Verb, aorist middle indicative, 2nd person plural of "ἐκλέγομαι" (eklegomai).
Root: ἐκλέγω (eklegō), meaning "to choose" or "to select."
Translation: "chose."
Voice: Middle (indicating the action is performed by the subject on themselves or for their benefit).
Tense: Aorist (simple past action).
ἀλλ’ (all'):

Form: Conjunction.
Function: Introduces a contrast.
Translation: "but."
ἐγὼ (egō):

Form: Personal pronoun, nominative singular.
Translation: "I."
ἐξελεξάμην (exelexamēn):

Form: Verb, aorist middle indicative, 1st person singular of "ἐκλέγομαι" (eklegomai).
Voice: Middle.
Tense: Aorist.
ὑμᾶς (hymas):

Form: Personal pronoun, accusative plural.
Syntactic Force:
οὐχ ὑμεῖς με ἐξελέξασθε (ouch hymeis me exelexasthe):

The phrase starts with the negation "οὐχ" to emphasize that the action described did not occur as might be expected.
"ὑμεῖς" is placed in the nominative case to explicitly indicate "you" as the subject.
"με" is in the accusative case to show that "Me" (Jesus) is the direct object.
The verb "ἐξελέξασθε" is in the aorist middle, indicating that the disciples did not choose Jesus for themselves.
The overall force of this clause is to negate the notion that the disciples were the agents who initiated the choice of following Jesus.
ἀλλ’ ἐγὼ ἐξελεξάμην ὑμᾶς (all' egō exelexamēn hymas):

The conjunction "ἀλλ’" introduces a strong contrast to the previous clause.
"ἐγὼ" is emphasized by being explicitly stated as the subject ("I").
The verb "ἐξελεξάμην" is also in the aorist middle, indicating Jesus' action of choosing the disciples for Himself.
"ὑμᾶς" in the accusative case shows that the disciples are the direct objects of Jesus' action.
The syntactic force here is to affirm positively that Jesus is the one who chose the disciples, reversing the expected action from the disciples to Himself.
Exegetical Insights:
Divine Initiative:

The verse emphasizes the divine initiative in the relationship between Jesus and His disciples. They did not come to Him by their own choice; rather, He chose them. This underlines the sovereignty and grace of Jesus in selecting His followers.
Middle Voice Usage:

The use of the middle voice in both verbs ("ἐξελέξασθε" and "ἐξελεξάμην") indicates that the action of choosing is reflexive or for the benefit of the subject. Jesus chose the disciples for His own purpose and benefit, which aligns with the broader theological theme of divine election.
Aorist Tense:

The aorist tense suggests a definite action that took place in the past. This reflects a specific moment or decision by Jesus to choose His disciples, highlighting the decisiveness of His action.
Contrasting Clauses:

The structure of the sentence with the strong contrast ("οὐχ...ἀλλ’") serves to sharply distinguish between the disciples' lack of initiative and Jesus' active choice. This contrast reinforces the message of dependency on divine choice rather than human initiative.

In summary, John 15:16 in the Greek text underscores the theme of divine selection, where Jesus clearly states that the disciples' relationship with Him is not based on their choice but His. The morphological and syntactic elements work together to emphasize Jesus' sovereign initiative and the purposeful nature of His choice.

You have to deal with the text-as it stands written-since @Kermos is definitely "on course" and a bit of information-Kermos is NOT a Calvinist.

Here is my opinion: People who lean towards Reformed theology are more aligned with sound doctrines compared to those who are undecided. Those who were Calvinists and had sound doctrine but later left the "camp" have become unstable and unfruitful, often spending most of their time online trying to find doctrine.

No need to reply.
J.

Last edited:

English Translation:

Morphological Analysis:
οὐχ (ouch):

ὑμεῖς (hymeis):

με (me):

Form: Verb, aorist middle indicative, 2nd person plural of "ἐκλέγομαι" (eklegomai).
Voice: Middle (indicating the action is performed by the subject on themselves or for their benefit).
ἀλλ’ (all'):

ἐγὼ (egō):

ἐξελεξάμην (exelexamēn):

Form: Verb, aorist middle indicative, 1st person singular of "ἐκλέγομαι" (eklegomai).
ὑμᾶς (hymas):

Syntactic Force:

The phrase starts with the negation "οὐχ" to emphasize that the action described did not occur as might be expected.
"ὑμεῖς" is placed in the nominative case to explicitly indicate "you" as the subject.
The verb "ἐξελέξασθε" is in the aorist middle, indicating that the disciples did not choose Jesus for themselves.
The overall force of this clause is to negate the notion that the disciples were the agents who initiated the choice of following Jesus.

The verb "ἐξελεξάμην" is also in the aorist middle, indicating Jesus' action of choosing the disciples for Himself.
"ὑμᾶς" in the accusative case shows that the disciples are the direct objects of Jesus' action.
The syntactic force here is to affirm positively that Jesus is the one who chose the disciples, reversing the expected action from the disciples to Himself.
Exegetical Insights:
Divine Initiative:

The verse emphasizes the divine initiative in the relationship between Jesus and His disciples. They did not come to Him by their own choice; rather, He chose them. This underlines the sovereignty and grace of Jesus in selecting His followers.
Middle Voice Usage:

The use of the middle voice in both verbs ("ἐξελέξασθε" and "ἐξελεξάμην") indicates that the action of choosing is reflexive or for the benefit of the subject. Jesus chose the disciples for His own purpose and benefit, which aligns with the broader theological theme of divine election.
Aorist Tense:

The aorist tense suggests a definite action that took place in the past. This reflects a specific moment or decision by Jesus to choose His disciples, highlighting the decisiveness of His action.
Contrasting Clauses:

The structure of the sentence with the strong contrast ("οὐχ...ἀλλ’") serves to sharply distinguish between the disciples' lack of initiative and Jesus' active choice. This contrast reinforces the message of dependency on divine choice rather than human initiative.

In summary, John 15:16 in the Greek text underscores the theme of divine selection, where Jesus clearly states that the disciples' relationship with Him is not based on their choice but His. The morphological and syntactic elements work together to emphasize Jesus' sovereign initiative and the purposeful nature of His choice.

You have to deal with the text-as it stands written-since @Kermos is definitely "on course" and a bit of information-Kermos is NOT a Calvinist.
Here is my opinion-People who leaned toward Reformed theology are "with it" when it comes to sound doctrines than those who are fence sitters and those who were Calvinists, with sound doctrine, upon leaving the "camp" has become unstable, unfruitful and sit online most of the time to "see" where to get doctrine from.

No need to reply.
J.
Jesus is speaking to His 12 disciples directly- thats the context of His words.

hope this helps !!!

John 15
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 17 This is my command: Love each other.

18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me.

English Translation:

Morphological Analysis:
οὐχ (ouch):

ὑμεῖς (hymeis):

με (me):

ἀλλ’ (all'):

ἐγὼ (egō):

ἐξελεξάμην (exelexamēn):

ὑμᾶς (hymas):

Syntactic Force:

Exegetical Insights:
Divine Initiative:

Middle Voice Usage:

Aorist Tense:

Contrasting Clauses:

It has been observed that individuals who once adhered to Calvinism and its sound doctrines, but later chose to leave, often face significant challenges in maintaining their theological stability. Calvinism, with its well-defined doctrines and rigorous theological framework, provides a strong foundation for many believers. When individuals depart from these teachings, they may struggle to find an equally solid grounding elsewhere.

This instability can manifest in various ways. Some former Calvinists find themselves in a state of doctrinal confusion, unsure of what to believe and how to interpret scripture without the clear guidance they previously followed. This confusion can lead to a lack of spiritual growth, as they may become preoccupied with searching for new theological perspectives instead of deepening their faith and understanding within a consistent framework.

Moreover, the transition away from Calvinism can result in an unfruitful spiritual life. Without the structured doctrines and disciplined approach to theology that Calvinism offers, these individuals might find it challenging to cultivate a fruitful and productive spiritual walk. Their efforts may become scattered, and they may spend an inordinate amount of time online or in other forums, seeking out new doctrines and teachings to fill the void left by their departure from Calvinism.

It is important to approach this topic with sensitivity and understanding. People leave Calvinism for various reasons, and their journeys are personal and complex. However, it is also crucial to recognize the potential difficulties they may encounter in maintaining doctrinal clarity and spiritual fruitfulness outside the Calvinist framework. Encouraging a thoughtful and respectful dialogue about these challenges can help support those who are navigating this transition, promoting a deeper and more stable faith journey.

This version provides a balanced and respectful discussion, acknowledging the potential difficulties faced by those who leave Calvinism without resorting to harsh language.

Johann

Just a thought @Rockson

It has been observed that individuals who once adhered to Calvinism and its sound doctrines, but later chose to leave, often face significant challenges in maintaining their theological stability. Calvinism, with its well-defined doctrines and rigorous theological framework, provides a strong foundation for many believers. When individuals depart from these teachings, they may struggle to find an equally solid grounding elsewhere.

This instability can manifest in various ways. Some former Calvinists find themselves in a state of doctrinal confusion, unsure of what to believe and how to interpret scripture without the clear guidance they previously followed. This confusion can lead to a lack of spiritual growth, as they may become preoccupied with searching for new theological perspectives instead of deepening their faith and understanding within a consistent framework.

Moreover, the transition away from Calvinism can result in an unfruitful spiritual life. Without the structured doctrines and disciplined approach to theology that Calvinism offers, these individuals might find it challenging to cultivate a fruitful and productive spiritual walk. Their efforts may become scattered, and they may spend an inordinate amount of time online or in other forums, seeking out new doctrines and teachings to fill the void left by their departure from Calvinism.

It is important to approach this topic with sensitivity and understanding. People leave Calvinism for various reasons, and their journeys are personal and complex. However, it is also crucial to recognize the potential difficulties they may encounter in maintaining doctrinal clarity and spiritual fruitfulness outside the Calvinist framework. Encouraging a thoughtful and respectful dialogue about these challenges can help support those who are navigating this transition, promoting a deeper and more stable faith journey.

This version provides a balanced and respectful discussion, acknowledging the potential difficulties faced by those who leave Calvinism without resorting to harsh language.

Johann.

"Jesus answered and said to them, 'This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.'"

Greek Text:
"ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς, τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ἔργον τοῦ θεοῦ, ἵνα πιστεύητε εἰς ὃν ἀπέστειλεν ἐκεῖνος."
Morphological and Syntactical Analysis:
Key Terms and Morphology:
ἀπεκρίθη (apekrithē):

Form: Aorist passive indicative, third person singular of ἀποκρίνομαι.
Translation: "answered."
Meaning: The aorist tense indicates a completed action, with Jesus responding definitively to their question.
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous):

Form: Nominative singular.
Translation: "Jesus."
Meaning: Subject of the verb, highlighting Jesus as the speaker.
εἶπεν (eipen):

Form: Aorist active indicative, third person singular of λέγω.
Translation: "said."
Meaning: Another aorist tense verb, indicating a definitive statement made by Jesus.
αὐτοῖς (autois):

Form: Dative plural of αὐτός.
Translation: "to them."
Meaning: Indicates the indirect object, referring to the people Jesus is addressing.
τοῦτό (touto):

Form: Nominative neuter singular of οὗτος.
Translation: "this."
Meaning: Functions as the subject of the clause, referring to the action being defined.
ἐστιν (estin):

Form: Present active indicative, third person singular of εἰμί.
Translation: "is."
Meaning: Present tense verb indicating the current and continuing state of being.
τὸ ἔργον (to ergon):

Form: Nominative neuter singular of ἔργον.
Translation: "the work."
Meaning: Subject complement that defines the nature of the task or duty in question.
τοῦ θεοῦ (tou theou):

Form: Genitive singular of θεός.
Translation: "of God."
Meaning: Possessive genitive indicating that the work is attributed to God.
ἵνα (hina):

Translation: "that."
Meaning: Introduces a purpose or result clause, often indicating the reason for the preceding statement.
πιστεύητε (pisteuēte):

Form: Present active subjunctive, second person plural of πιστεύω.
Translation: "you believe."
Meaning: The subjunctive mood, used here to express purpose, intention, or command.
εἰς (eis):

Form: Preposition.
Translation: "in."
Meaning: Indicates the direction of belief, pointing towards the object of faith.
ὃν (hon):

Form: Relative pronoun, accusative masculine singular.
Translation: "whom."
Meaning: Refers to the person being sent, Jesus.
ἀπέστειλεν (apesteilen):

Form: Aorist active indicative, third person singular of ἀποστέλλω.
Translation: "has sent."
Meaning: Aorist tense indicating a past, completed action of sending.
ἐκεῖνος (ekeinos):

Form: Demonstrative pronoun, nominative masculine singular.
Translation: "He."
Meaning: Refers to God the Father, emphasizing His role in sending Jesus.
Syntactical Analysis:
Structure:

The verse is structured as a response from Jesus (ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς) with a central clause (τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ἔργον τοῦ θεοῦ) followed by a purpose clause introduced by ἵνα (ἵνα πιστεύητε εἰς ὃν ἀπέστειλεν ἐκεῖνος).
Main Clause:

"This is the work of God": The subject (τοῦτό) and the predicate nominative (τὸ ἔργον τοῦ θεοῦ) are linked by the present verb ἐστιν, asserting what constitutes God's work.
Purpose Clause:

"that you believe in Him whom He has sent": The conjunction ἵνα introduces the purpose of the work. The verb πιστεύητε, in the subjunctive mood, indicates the intended action or state, directed towards the relative pronoun ὃν, referring to Jesus, with the verb ἀπέστειλεν providing the action performed by ἐκεῖνος (God the Father).
Theological Implications:
Divine Initiative and Human Response:

The verse emphasizes that believing in Jesus is the primary work God requires. This belief is not merely intellectual assent but involves trust and commitment to Jesus as the one sent by God.
Centrality of Faith:

The passage highlights faith in Jesus as the essential response to God’s revelation. It underscores that the primary "work" God desires is faith, aligning with the broader Johannine theme that eternal life is received through belief in Jesus (cf. John 3:16).
God’s Sovereign Sending:

The reference to God sending Jesus (ὃν ἀπέστειλεν ἐκεῖνος) underscores the divine initiative in salvation. Jesus is portrayed as the authorized representative of God, carrying out the divine mission.
Broader Context:
John 6:28:

Text: "Therefore they said to Him, 'What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?'"
Analysis: The crowd’s question sets the stage for Jesus’ response in verse 29. They are focused on performing actions that please God, but Jesus redirects their focus to the fundamental "work" of belief.
John 3:16-18:

Text: "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."
Analysis: This passage complements John 6:29 by emphasizing belief in Jesus as the pathway to eternal life and salvation. It reinforces the centrality of faith in the Johannine theology.
John 5:24:

Text: "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life."
Analysis: Highlights the immediate and transformative effect of believing in Jesus, providing assurance of eternal life and avoiding judgment.
Conclusion:
John 6:29 encapsulates a critical theological assertion: the essential work that God requires from humanity is to believe in Jesus, the one He has sent. This belief is a dynamic, trust-filled relationship with Jesus, recognizing Him as the divinely appointed Savior. The passage emphasizes the necessity of faith over works, aligning with the broader Johannine emphasis on belief as the means to eternal life. By focusing on the morphological and syntactical elements, we see a clear and powerful message: salvation and eternal life are found in Jesus, and the work God calls us to is to trust in Him fully.

This may be beyond your pay grade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom