"Works Salvation"

Oh no, its dead on friend, you believe in works salvation with your requirements.
Most definitely not. I believe in the grace of my Lord and Savior. He has promised that, to those who put their complete faith in Him, He will give His gift of forgiveness and salvation. He will not give His gift of forgiveness to those to whom He is not Lord. He is not Lord of those who do not obey Him (Rom 6:16). Thus, He will not give His gift of forgiveness to those who do not obey Him. Obedience comes first, showing that He is Lord, and that we have surrendered to His will.

Doug - There is not a single example of someone being given something by God for which they were not required to take an action.

This shows how blatantly legalistic your pet doctrine is.

Did God give you a brain? What action did you take to get your brain? Did God give you your heart? What action did you take to get your heart? Doesn't God send rain on the just and the unjust? What action must we take to get that rain?

Most definitely not. I believe in the grace of my Lord and Savior. He has promised that, to those who put their complete faith in Him, He will give His gift of forgiveness and salvation. He will not give His gift of forgiveness to those to whom He is not Lord. He is not Lord of those who do not obey Him (Rom 6:16). Thus, He will not give His gift of forgiveness to those who do not obey Him. Obedience comes first, showing that He is Lord, and that we have surrendered to His will.
A Person has to be saved [regenerated] before they can believe in Christ. You condition salvation by keeping a requirement, like water baptism. Thats works, and maybe, hopefully God will deliver you from that strong delusion.

A Person has to be saved [regenerated] before they can believe in Christ.
This statement shows your severe disregard to Biblical truth. A person cannot be saved UNLESS they believe in Christ.
You condition salvation by keeping a requirement, like water baptism. Thats works, and maybe, hopefully God will deliver you from that strong delusion.
You believe that a person is saved from birth, and that they hear the Gospel to find out that they have been saved. That is complete nonsense and counter to every Biblical statement.

This statement shows your severe disregard to Biblical truth. A person cannot be saved UNLESS they believe in Christ.

You believe that a person is saved from birth, and that they hear the Gospel to find out that they have been saved. That is complete nonsense and counter to every Biblical statement.
You dont know what I believe, you think you do. I know you condition salvation on water baptism, thats works, a denial of Grace.

This shows how blatantly legalistic your pet doctrine is.

Did God give you a brain? What action did you take to get your brain? Did God give you your heart? What action did you take to get your heart? Doesn't God send rain on the just and the unjust? What action must we take to get that rain?
Thank you for pointing this out. I will correct my statement: There is not a single example of someone being given a supernatural blessing by God for which they were not required to take an action.

John 4:10 Jesus is speaking with the Samaritan woman at the well and He says:

"If you knew the GIFT of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have GIVEN you LIVING WATER." THAT is salvation.
"being justified (saved) as a GIFT by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; ..." Rom. 3:24

gift - something voluntarily transferred by one person to another WITHOUT COMPENSATION (without action or works)

Romans 5:17 " ... much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the GIFT of righteousness (salvation) will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.

Romans 6:23 " ... but the FREE GIFT of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
2 Corinthians 9:15 "Thanks be to God for His indescribable GIFT!" (Salvation)
Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the GIFT of God."
James 1:17 "Every good thing GIVEN and every perfect GIFT is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." (Salvation is His greatest gift to us)

But you said, "Thank you for pointing this out. I will correct my statement: There is not a single example of someone being given a supernatural blessing by God for which they were not required to take an action."

If salvation is a SUPERNATURAL GIFT, and it obviously is, then there is NO physical action, or compensation required to receive it.

Living water, being justified, righteousness, and eternal life, are all the gift of salvation. To receive this gift, God requires no physical action or compensation on our part. ONLY thanksgiving and praise. Salvation is a FREE GIFT.

Last edited:
John 4:10 Jesus is speaking with the Samaritan woman at the well and He says:

"If you knew the GIFT of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have GIVEN you LIVING WATER." THAT is salvation.
"being justified (saved) as a GIFT by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; ..." Rom. 3:24

gift - something voluntarily transferred by one person to another WITHOUT COMPENSATION (without action or works)
Without compensation. Not necessarily without action or effort.
The gift might be given wrapped, and sealed in a box. The receiver must unwrap and cut out of the box before it can be used.
The gift might be disassembled. The receiver must put it together before it can be used.
The gift might be in another location (like a dealership, storage, or warehouse). The receiver must go get it before it can be used.
As is seen in many wills left by people who have died, the gift might come with conditions which the executor of the estate must see fulfilled before he distributes the bequest.
These actions taken by the recipient do not "earn" or "merit" the gift, but they must be done before the gift can be used and the benefit of it received by the receiver.
If salvation is a SUPERNATURAL GIFT, and it obviously is, then there is NO physical action, or compensation required to receive it.

Living water, being justified, righteousness, and eternal life, are all the gift of salvation. To receive this gift, God requires no physical action or compensation on our part. ONLY thanksgiving and praise. Salvation is a FREE GIFT.
You place a very cheep price on God's Son's life if you think that being dipped in water one time qualifies as paying the value of His blood. No, as with Naaman receiving cleansing from leprosy, the widow receiving the ability to pay her debts and keep her son, the walls of Jericho falling down, the Land of Promise being received by Israel, and every other story of God's gifts to His people in the OT, each was given a task to do without the completion of which they would not have received the offered gift.

Doug "You place a very cheep price on God's Son's life if you think that being dipped in water one time qualifies as paying the value of His blood."

First, the word "compensation" is NOT my word, it's the dictionary definition. I only quoted that to illustrate your false belief that something (in this case, water baptism) is required to receive the gift of salvation. I was NOT equating the value of Jesus and His shed blood to the value of being dipped in water, and I think you know that, but you just took an opportunity to strike with a LOW BLOW. In fact, you will see that I added (without action or works) to clarify what I take "without compensation" to mean. Instead of acknowledging that, you twist my words to suggest that I was comparing the "value" of Jesus and His shed blood to the "value": of water baptism. That's ABSURD.

But I think you also did that to avoid the truth that salvation is a gift, and it is FREE. Not only do we not have to pay for it, but we also don't have to perform any physical action for it.

You mention that a gift must be unwrapped or unsealed or cut out of a box before it can be used. Maybe it needs to be assembled, or maybe one must travel somewhere to get it. You must place a very cheap price on Jesus and His blood, to compare Him and His sacrifice to something that we get out of a box, or must put together, or something that we must travel to find.

All of that is your deplorable smokescreen to avoid the truth that I have presented over and over again, but you don't want to see it, much less accept it.

The only "condition" required to receive His gift of salvation is FAITH. And FAITH for receiving salvation REQUIRES NO PHYSICAL WORK OR ACTION. Your false claim that James' "faith without works is dead" refers to receiving salvation is misinterpreting scripture. James is referring to the faith that believers have AFTER their initial supernatural experience of being born again.

You are steeped in legalism. Legalism is found where there is the excessive and deceptive requirement of man's rules on God's people. "You must be baptized to be saved" goes beyond what God requires and deceives God's people into thinking they cannot be saved UNTIL and ONLY WHEN they get baptized. We already have FAR too many unsaved people getting baptized - as a teenager, I witnessed many. But you would add more to that number, bringing great confusion into the body of Christ.

I have nothing against water baptism. I think all Christians should obey the Lord and be baptized. NonChristians should NOT be baptized, which is what you advocate for, saying that salvation comes later during baptism, so an unsaved person will get saved when they get baptized. FALSE John said: "The one who says, 'I have come to know Him', and does not keep His commandments is a liar ..." If we know Him (if we're saved), we should keep His commandment to be baptized. If we don't know Him, then we would not even have a reason to be baptized, unless we're deceived into thinking that will save us. Sort of like Catholics and others who think "doing religious stuff" will commend us to God. Hail Mary's, Rosary beads, unBiblical ceremonies, like Quincineras, forming the cross symbol with our hand over our bodies, confession to priests, requiring priests to be celibate, saying the "Our Father", being sprinkled, etc., etc.

Last edited:
In fact, your strong emphasis on people getting baptized in order to be saved, actually deemphasises being saved before that. So what do you tell people who want to be born again? Sorry, that won't happen unless you get baptized? So then they actually get baptized, thinking that they are now born again, which actually doesn't happen during baptism. So the end result is that they're NOT born again either before, during, OR after baptism. This is an evil scheme that only the devil would come up with to keep people from actually being saved. This is a doctrine of demons.

Last edited:
John 3. As far as I know, nobody had ever heard of being born again before. Obviously, Nicodemus had not. He even asked: "How can a man be born when he is old? Jesus told him "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."
Obviously, Nicodemus wanted this experience, but Jesus did not wait for him to understand what He was saying, nor did He wait for him to actually experience the second birth.
Some would have us believe that "born of water" refers to baptism. But I think Jesus would have told Nicodemus that, if that were true, and if it was that simple Being born again is mysterious - the Holy Spirit enters into a person's life when He wants to, NOT when we want Him to. But I believe our hearts must be right, and we must believe in Jesus, and seek the new birth. Then He is faithful to give us that good gift in His time.

Rom 10:9-10 does not set forth conditions a person must perform before Christs saves them, but are rather things done that evidence He has saved you.

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

First of all the word heart in these scriptures is not the heart of the old man we receive with our old fallen adamic nature, for that heart is wicked and at enmity against God, it loves darkness rather than light. Here is a description of OUR heart by nature Jer 17:9

9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Its even a evil heart of unbelief Heb 3 12

Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

But the heart Paul is referring to is the New Heart, which in Covenant Mercy is given Ezk 36:26

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

The old heart profits nothing in regards to salvation, spiritual matters. Its the New Man with the new Heart that believes unto righteousness

Its the new creature created in Christ Jesus that believes, created unto good works. Eph 2:8-10 See believing in Christ and confessing Him before men are good works !

First, the word "compensation" is NOT my word, it's the dictionary definition. I only quoted that to illustrate your false belief that something (in this case, water baptism) is required to receive the gift of salvation. I was NOT equating the value of Jesus and His shed blood to the value of being dipped in water, and I think you know that, but you just took an opportunity to strike with a LOW BLOW. In fact, you will see that I added (without action or works) to clarify what I take "without compensation" to mean. Instead of acknowledging that, you twist my words to suggest that I was comparing the "value" of Jesus and His shed blood to the "value": of water baptism. That's ABSURD.
That is exactly the point; there is no "compensation" possible for the life of Christ Jesus, and any attempt to insinuate that our obedience to His command constitutes compensation for His blood is insulting to Him. But that does not lessen the importance of our obedience to Him before our reception of His gift. We are simply fulfilling the terms of His last will and testament in order to receive the bequest He promised if those conditions are met.
But I think you also did that to avoid the truth that salvation is a gift, and it is FREE. Not only do we not have to pay for it, but we also don't have to perform any physical action for it.
We do not have to pay for it, but we do have to fulfill the terms of His will in order to receive the bequest offered to those who do, just as with any will that contains conditions before the inheritance is received.
You mention that a gift must be unwrapped or unsealed or cut out of a box before it can be used. Maybe it needs to be assembled, or maybe one must travel somewhere to get it. You must place a very cheap price on Jesus and His blood, to compare Him and His sacrifice to something that we get out of a box, or must put together, or something that we must travel to find.

All of that is your deplorable smokescreen to avoid the truth that I have presented over and over again, but you don't want to see it, much less accept it.
I place a very, very high value on Jesus' blood and the sacrifice He made to secure my salvation. And I also can read in His Word how He placed conditions upon receipt of that salvation, like confessing His Lordship with one's mouth, and being baptized in water.
The only "condition" required to receive His gift of salvation is FAITH. And FAITH for receiving salvation REQUIRES NO PHYSICAL WORK OR ACTION. Your false claim that James' "faith without works is dead" refers to receiving salvation is misinterpreting scripture. James is referring to the faith that believers have AFTER their initial supernatural experience of being born again.
If faith is a condition for receiving salvation (as you just said and I agree) then the faith that must be present before salvation is received must meet the verifiable condition that James mentions to show that this faith is alive. Faith that precedes the reception of salvation must be alive to be effective (to actually be faith). It astounds me that you would claim that this faith must be passive and inactive, but then Satan wants you to believe that so that you remain lost and in His grasp.
You are steeped in legalism. Legalism is found where there is the excessive and deceptive requirement of man's rules on God's people. "You must be baptized to be saved" goes beyond what God requires and deceives God's people into thinking they cannot be saved UNTIL and ONLY WHEN they get baptized. We already have FAR too many unsaved people getting baptized - as a teenager, I witnessed many. But you would add more to that number, bringing great confusion into the body of Christ.
I agree that there are many who are baptized who are not saved. But that is not because the lost are being baptized. A lost person must come to the water of baptism in order to receive salvation during the act of baptism (the lost, old, dead man goes into the water and the redeemed, new, alive man comes out of the water). But there are many who do not believe when they are baptized, and so they only get wet.
I have nothing against water baptism. I think all Christians should obey the Lord and be baptized. NonChristians should NOT be baptized, which is what you advocate for, saying that salvation comes later during baptism, so an unsaved person will get saved when they get baptized. FALSE John said: "The one who says, 'I have come to know Him', and does not keep His commandments is a liar ..." If we know Him (if we're saved), we should keep His commandment to be baptized. If we don't know Him, then we would not even have a reason to be baptized, unless we're deceived into thinking that will save us.
It is very sad to me that someone with your knowledge of the Scriptures could be this deceived. Everyone who comes to believe that the Scriptures are true, and that Jesus is the Son of God and the Savior they so desperately need to wash away their sin and redeem them to God, must be obedient to Him and surrender their will to Him in baptism. I have pointed out the many Scriptures that show how it is during baptism that we die to sin, have our sins cut from us, and are united to Christ's resurrection. I really hope that you will one day release your rebellion to His Word, read the Scriptures with an open heart, and let His Spirit show you the truth about baptism.
In fact, your strong emphasis on people getting baptized in order to be saved, actually deemphasises being saved before that.
That is because we are not saved before that.
So what do you tell people who want to be born again? Sorry, that won't happen unless you get baptized?
When someone I am teaching shows that they are ready to be born again, I lead them through the Scriptures that say that they will be born again during baptism. By this point I have already lead them through the understanding that they have sinned and so are condemned before God with no hope of salvation on their own.
I then lead them to Mark 16:16 and show them Jesus' command that those who believe His Gospel and are baptized will receive salvation.
I then lead them to Acts 2:22-38 where the answer to the question, "What must we do (in order to be saved?)" is answered: repent and be baptized.
I then lead them to Rom 6:1-4 and Col 2:11-14 and show them that when they are baptized they will die to sin and be resurrected with Jesus from the death that sin caused.
Then I ask them if they believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and upon their affirmative answer, I baptize them in the name of the the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit so that they can receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. And when they come up out of the water I embrace them as a new brother or sister in Christ.
John 3. As far as I know, nobody had ever heard of being born again before. Obviously, Nicodemus had not. He even asked: "How can a man be born when he is old? Jesus told him "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."
Obviously, Nicodemus wanted this experience, but Jesus did not wait for him to understand what He was saying, nor did He wait for him to actually experience the second birth.
Some would have us believe that "born of water" refers to baptism. But I think Jesus would have told Nicodemus that, if that were true, and if it was that simple Being born again is mysterious - the Holy Spirit enters into a person's life when He wants to, NOT when we want Him to. But I believe our hearts must be right, and we must believe in Jesus, and seek the new birth. Then He is faithful to give us that good gift in His time.
He does give us that gift in His time, exactly when He said He would give that gift: during baptism. Yes, being born of water in John 3:5 refers to baptism. When one is baptized, he is reborn (resurrected)(Rom 6:1-4) as Jesus was through the power and working of the Holy Spirit (Col 2:11-14): thus, born of water and the Spirit.

Wow, thank you brighfame52, I have not seen that before. The chapter begins with Paul's desire for the Jews to be saved and the first four verses talk about that. But then Paul changes course in verse 5, and talks about the "man who practices righteousness", which means he has already entered into righteousness or salvation. "For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live by that righteousness." But the man who practices righteousness based on faith confesses Jesus as Lord with his mouth, and believes in his heart that God raised Him from the dead, thus affirming his ongoing salvation.
The same misunderstanding takes place with James 2:14-26. Certain people continually think that "faith without works is dead" refers to our initial salvation, but James is actually speaking of our ongoing walk of faith after we have already been saved. We know this is true, because Paul continually says that we cannot be saved by works.
" ... but Israel, pursuing a law of righteousness, did not arrive at that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as though it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone,"

Fallen man loves to think that he can get to heaven by doing things, especially "good" things, and beyond that, "religious" things - EVEN things that are commanded by God, such as communion and baptism. Fallen man also loves to do all of those things to alleviate the guilt he feels for all of his wrongdoings - sin.
A fellow airman in the Air Force overseas, would spend many of his weeknights sleeping with prostitutes. Then, every Saturday, he would go to a Catholic priest, supposedly confess his sins, and then start over the next week.
The so-called homeless standing on the street corners, begging for money, can actually make a fair amount of money. Why? Well, if I see a man or woman on the corner, and remember that I had committed adultery the night before, then I will throw $5 or $10 in this homeless guy's basket, because that will "pay" for my sin from the previous night. If I do enough good things, that will take care of the bad things that I have done.
This is why many people get baptized and/or take communion, thinking that it will somehow earn them points with God. Some even think that it earn them salvation.

its a false jesus that died for everyone, and its a false jesus who died for people he didnt save.
Oh my! I can't believe you posted that. I think that's the worst post I've ever read. It goes against the gospel and it goes against what the Bible teaches us about who Jesus is. I'm really concerned about you. The scripture that comes to mind is:

"Depart from me, I never knew you" is a phrase that Jesus uses in the Bible to reject those who claim to be his followers but do not obey his will. It is found in Matthew 7:23 and Luke 13:27, where Jesus warns that many will call him "Lord" on the day of judgment, but he will not recognize them as his true disciples.

Oh my! I can't believe you posted that. I think that's the worst post I've ever read. It goes against the gospel and it goes against what the Bible teaches us about who Jesus is. I'm really concerned about you. The scripture that comes to mind is:

"Depart from me, I never knew you" is a phrase that Jesus uses in the Bible to reject those who claim to be his followers but do not obey his will. It is found in Matthew 7:23 and Luke 13:27, where Jesus warns that many will call him "Lord" on the day of judgment, but he will not recognize them as his true disciples.
See ya at the Judgment friend

Wow, thank you brighfame52, I have not seen that before. The chapter begins with Paul's desire for the Jews to be saved and the first four verses talk about that. But then Paul changes course in verse 5, and talks about the "man who practices righteousness", which means he has already entered into righteousness or salvation. "For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live by that righteousness." But the man who practices righteousness based on faith confesses Jesus as Lord with his mouth, and believes in his heart that God raised Him from the dead, thus affirming his ongoing salvation.
What an amazing twisting of what Scripture actually says to make it fit your preconceived notion of how man is saved. Your excerpts above have no relation to what Scripture actually says.
"1 Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the Law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
5 For Moses writes of the righteousness that is based on the Law, that the person who performs them will live by them. 6 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will go up into heaven?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).” 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
14 How then are they to call on Him in whom they have not believed? How are they to believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher? 15 But how are they to preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!”
16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.
18 But I say, surely they have never heard, have they? On the contrary:
“Their voice has gone out into all the earth,
And their words to the ends of the world.”
19 But I say, surely Israel did not know, did they? First Moses says,
“I will make you jealous with those who are not a nation,
With a foolish nation I will anger you.”
20 And Isaiah is very bold and says,
“I was found by those who did not seek Me,
I revealed Myself to those who did not ask for Me.”
21 But as for Israel, He says, “I have spread out My hands all day long to a disobedient and obstinate people."
Rom 10
The righteousness of faith comes from hearing the Word, believing the Word, and having faith (taking action) on what is heard in the Word. The one who hears the Word is not yet saved. He hears and believes, and his confession with the mouth of Jesus as Lord leads to his receiving salvation. Paul is looking back to when one first heard the Gospel and received salvation.
The same misunderstanding takes place with James 2:14-26. Certain people continually think that "faith without works is dead" refers to our initial salvation, but James is actually speaking of our ongoing walk of faith after we have already been saved. We know this is true, because Paul continually says that we cannot be saved by works.
" ... but Israel, pursuing a law of righteousness, did not arrive at that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as though it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone,"
James is not speaking of "faith after we have already been saved". There is no difference between faith before salvation and faith after salvation; there is only one faith. And faith (before, during, and after salvation) requires action to be alive, real, and effective. Without action faith is not real.

Back
Top Bottom