Understanding........

The word is חֲשָׁבָ֣הּ, which means "MEANT".

וְאַתֶּ֕ם חֲשַׁבְתֶּ֥ם עָלַ֖י רָעָ֑ה -- YOU MEANT IT for evil.

רָעָ֑ה אֱלֹהִים֙ חֲשָׁבָ֣הּ לְטֹבָ֔ה לְמַ֗עַן -- God MEANT IT for good. God meant it in the Hebrew is ḥă·šā·ḇāh. You meant it in Hebrew is ḥă·šaḇ·tem.

God overcame the evil that was meant by the brothers. God only does God. God didn't purpose the evil of the brothers. He proposed His good.

Notice how Joseph (the one speaking here) mentions the evil of his brothers first. Which is the first cause. Not God.

The word is חֲשָׁבָ֣הּ, which means "MEANT".

וְאַתֶּ֕ם חֲשַׁבְתֶּ֥ם עָלַ֖י רָעָ֑ה -- YOU MEANT IT for evil.

רָעָ֑ה אֱלֹהִים֙ חֲשָׁבָ֣הּ לְטֹבָ֔ה לְמַ֗עַן -- God MEANT IT for good. God meant it in the Hebrew is ḥă·šā·ḇāh. You meant it in Hebrew is ḥă·šaḇ·tem.
First I did not just make up what I said. Here's what Strongs has to say.

But even going with what you say "meant it" that still wouldn't mean God ordained the brothers will to do this. There could have been a 1001 ways God could have made Joseph ruler over Egypt. Have you never heard of making the best of a bad situation?

Please stop the bickering or I'll be forced to delete post and if that doesn't work lock this thread.

Rules List:

1a. No vulgarity, profanity, name calling, or slang expression(s) that could be interpreted as a suggestion of impropriety or generally regarded as demeaning in nature. (Ephesians 5:3-5) Address members by their screen names and do not mock or make fun of their names.

1b.No abusive, insulting, or derogatory language. (Colossians 3:5, 8)

Last edited:
Is the gospel a deep thing of God since it is hidden to unbelievers??
The gospel is hidden to unbelievers? I've never heard that before. I always thought you could share the gospel with an unbeliever and they could choose to accept it or reject it. Why would Jesus want the gospel hidden. If that were the case the cross makes no sense.

2 Corinthians 4:3–4 Explained

I told you how Strongs renders the Hebrew word. I already acknowledged it can mean meant or I could say as your above says planned too. That does not establish a belief however that God ordained these men to do this. And in the light of so many, many other passages of scripture which causes Calvinistic thinking to collapse you'd be wise not to put all your eggs in one basket in one portion of scripture that you impose a meaning upon.

The gospel is hidden to unbelievers? I've never heard that before. I always thought you could share the gospel with an unbeliever and they could choose to accept it or reject it. Why would Jesus want the gospel hidden. If that were the case the cross makes no sense.

2 Corinthians 4:3–4 Explained
What does the verse say? It's hidden from unbelievers until it is revealed by the Spirit.

So your beyond God's control?
Of course... What's the alternative? GOD creates for us the evil we will do then impels us to do it??? Riiiiight.....<sigh>

We must be sinners by our own free will, not HIS will but once we are sinners by our free will then our lives of sin can be properly determined by GOD as the best life to bring us to redemption.

Of course... What's the alternative? GOD creates for us the evil we will do then impels us to do it??? Riiiiight.....<sigh>

We must be sinners by our own free will, not HIS will but once we are sinners by our free will then our lives of sin can be properly determined by GOD as the best life to bring us to redemption.
I agree with you on these subjects Ted. :)

So your beyond God's control?
In a sense or in a certain stage of time. God might step in if one had their finger on a nuke button who was going to push it and say, UM no you don't. I have my time for the destruction of the earth and it certainly is not right now. When it comes to all matters of salvation he has let mankind be the controlling factor as to whether they respond to him. God however will take upon himself ultimate control at the judgement.....NO ONE....absolutely no one will be able to say I'm not going to face the consequences of my bad decisions. THEY WILL. God will control that whether they like that or not.

Back
Top Bottom