Trying to understand Dispensationalism

Is there any justification for recognizing the time in which a Christian now lives as different from the time in which Adam and Eve lived prior to the fall? Well, of course it is, how is it different? The same questions might be asked in regard to other times as well. What about the time prior to Noah’s flood?… They were like totally running amok. The time Israel was in Egypt?… Israel’s conquest of Canaan?… Israel under the Judges and Kings?… Daniel’s day?… When Israel was under Babylonian captivity?

In Dispensationalism I see that there are at least five different periods with their own distinctiveness:

1. Man in a period prior to the fall
2. Man as fallen
3. Man under the old covenant, before the Cross
4. Man since the historic fact of Christ’s Cross and resurrection
5. Redeemed man as ruling with Christ over a changed earth.

I think it would be hard to find any sincere Bible-believer who is willing to raise issue against such clear and basic divisions in the Word of God, whether they are called dispensations or not. In this sense, every true believer of Bible-truth is a dispensationalist even when the kindred camp most sharply contrasted with dispensationalism—namely, Covenant Theology Is introduced to the conversation.
As I've understood it...

Dispensationalism is merely the categorization of the dispensations of scripture.
God before creation, in eternity
Creation of the angelic realm of beings.
lucifer and his friends rebel, and are kicked out of heaven, after an undefined period of time to give them the opportunity to return to God.
creation.
Adam and Eve in the garden.
Adam and Eve after the fall
Noah to Abraham
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to Moses
Moses to the red sea crossing (Joshua)
Joshua and Israel in the land
Judges (true theocracy)
Kings- Saul, David, etc... (theocratic monarchy)
Exile to return
Return to Jesus
Jesus to Pentecost
Pentecost to today, and off into some as yet unknown future to the Rapture
Rapture to the signing of the covenant with the antichrist and Israel
Rebuild the temple
7 years of tribulation
Post tribulation appearing of Jesus on the Mt of Olives.
45 days of judging the nations
Opening the millennial kingdom
Post millennium, period of time when the devil does his final deception of the narions.
Great white throne judgment.
Destroy the existing heavens and earth.
Create a new heaven and earth.
Heavenly Jerusalem descends to new earth.
Paradise forever...

Now, those are dispensations.

The turning of all these things into a "this is how it will be and we who believe this order of things, are Dispensationalists."

Quite frankly, I'm not sure why all Jesus followers aren't Dispensationalists.

Nobody has ever been able to successfully convince me that the Bible doesn't include all of these things.

• An exemption from a rule or usual requirement
  • A a system of order, government, or organization of a nation, community, etc., especially as existing at a particular time
  • The action of distributing or supplying something.
I like the above description of dispensationalism and think all passages fall under one of those headings.

What about this exemption for the Jews?

Ga 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Exemption?
Ga 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

What about the second one?

Ga 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

WOW! Going from a servant to a son of God and a joint heir with Jesus Christ is certainly a different form of government.

The third one is the biggie, especially for us gentiles;

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That
1)at that time ye were without Christ, being
2)aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and
3)strangers from the covenants of promise,
4)having no hope, and
5)without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

What was supplied to those in such a horrible condition?

1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly [places] might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

I have underlined what is supplied or dispensed for this age. The problem is that 8 out of 10 people reading that will not embrace the truth and see the remedy for a people group that is under the disadvantage of those 5 insurmountable conditions of Eph 2:10-12 above.

That which is needed is supplied by God in Christ to answer this dilemma by his grace. The age of grace is prophesied to come to an end soon, followed by a different dispensation with a different operative principle of Divine dealing with men. We are told about it all through the prophets in the OT and the New.

What a wonderful Father God! What a glorious savior is our Lord Jesus Christ!

Is there any justification for recognizing the time in which a Christian now lives as different from the time in which Adam and Eve lived prior to the fall? Well, of course it is, how is it different? The same questions might be asked in regard to other times as well. What about the time prior to Noah’s flood?… They were like totally running amok. The time Israel was in Egypt?… Israel’s conquest of Canaan?… Israel under the Judges and Kings?… Daniel’s day?… When Israel was under Babylonian captivity?

In Dispensationalism I see that there are at least five different periods with their own distinctiveness:

1. Man in a period prior to the fall
2. Man as fallen

I think it would be hard to find any sincere Bible-believer who is willing to raise issue against such clear and basic divisions in the Word of God, whether they are called dispensations or not. In this sense, every true believer of Bible-truth is a dispensationalist even when the kindred camp most sharply contrasted with dispensationalism—namely, Covenant Theology Is introduced to the conversation.
That's about as silly of an argument as it gets in favor of "dispensationalism". Are there differences in the 2020's vs. the 2010's? Were there differences in the 2010's vs. the 1990's? Were there differences in the 1990's vs. the 1980's? Were there differences in the 1980's vs. the 1970's? Of course there is and was. Each decade had its own distinctiveness. So should we attach a "dispensation" to each decade? Or how about each century? That would give us over 20 "dispensations".
Philip Mauro coined the term "dispensationalism" in 1928 in his book "The Gospel of the Kingdom". He fell for that teaching himself for 15 years. Then in 1918, he began to see the "inconsistencies and self-contradictions of the system". He also saw "the impossibility of reconciling its main positions with the plain statements of the Word of God." Page 6 and 7 in his book.
Mauro also makes the point that the Bible word "dispensation" never meant what the "dispensationalists" have essentially forced it to mean.
C. I. Scofield basically rewrites the dictionary and defines it as: "A dispensation is a period of time during which man is tested in respect to some specific revelation of the will of God." Page 26 in the same book by Mauro
The dictionary says it is "a formal authorization", "the act of dispensing, something dispensed or distributed". Originally it did not mean "a period of time", but the doctrine has become so widespread, that it has actually forced its meaning into the dictionary.
The Bible itself recognizes two great divisions: The Old Testament or Covenant and the New Testament or Covenant. So if we're going to cling to the Word of God, we must recognized only those two as well. If God wanted us to recognize and label different time periods in the Bible, other than those two, He would have told us that. But He didn't, so leave it to man to come up with that idea, and then to create a whole doctrinal system from that. As if that wasn't enough, the "dispensationalists" take it even further and condemn any who dare to disagree with them as heretics, at least some of their well-known pastors and teachers have done so.

That's about as silly of an argument as it gets in favor of "dispensationalism". Are there differences in the 2020's vs. the 2010's? Were there differences in the 2010's vs. the 1990's? Were there differences in the 1990's vs. the 1980's? Were there differences in the 1980's vs. the 1970's? Of course there is and was. Each decade had its own distinctiveness. So should we attach a "dispensation" to each decade? Or how about each century? That would give us over 20 "dispensations".
Philip Mauro coined the term "dispensationalism" in 1928 in his book "The Gospel of the Kingdom". He fell for that teaching himself for 15 years. Then in 1918, he began to see the "inconsistencies and self-contradictions of the system". He also saw "the impossibility of reconciling its main positions with the plain statements of the Word of God." Page 6 and 7 in his book.
Mauro also makes the point that the Bible word "dispensation" never meant what the "dispensationalists" have essentially forced it to mean.
C. I. Scofield basically rewrites the dictionary and defines it as: "A dispensation is a period of time during which man is tested in respect to some specific revelation of the will of God." Page 26 in the same book by Mauro
The dictionary says it is "a formal authorization", "the act of dispensing, something dispensed or distributed". Originally it did not mean "a period of time", but the doctrine has become so widespread, that it has actually forced its meaning into the dictionary.
Ok... and?

The Bible itself recognizes two great divisions: The Old Testament or Covenant and the New Testament or Covenant.
And?
I'm not seeing where anyone ever said the biblical delineations were incorrect or inaccurate.

So if we're going to cling to the Word of God, we must recognized only those two as well.
I always have. For as long as I've been aware of the bible and the stories of the bible.

If God wanted us to recognize and label different time periods in the Bible, other than those two, He would have told us that.
bad thinking.
if God wanted us to fly, he would have given us wings. Yet, here we are, flying around with a whole variety of methods to fly.
furthermore, if God wanted us to swim under the water, he'd have made us with gills.
yet, again... here we are, using the mind God gave us, inventing all manner of technology to swim under the water.

But He didn't, so leave it to man to come up with that idea, and then to create a whole doctrinal system from that.
I'm wondering if you're over thinking it.
as I'd described above, dispensations are what I've read, seen for myself, and have been explained by my pastors.
Not as some type of "new, fancy, special secretive doctrine", but merely as a means to categorize the Bible into coherent epochs/eras.
As if that wasn't enough, the "dispensationalists" take it even further and condemn any who dare to disagree with them as heretics, at least some of their well-known pastors and teachers have done so.
Sounds like I'm not actually a dispensationalist then.

Ironically, it's pretty clear that the non-dispensationalists" vilified us first, making us out to be the heretics, because we love learning and understanding the Bible.

Where's the scripture that mentions a seven-year tribulation? You won't find it. Where's the scripture that tells us Jesus is returning for His saints, then seven years later, He's coming with His saints? Not there. Where's the scripture that tells us that there's more days after the last day? You can't find it. Where's the scripture that says that Jesus will set up an earthly kingdom? He told Pilate immediately before His death,"My kingdom is not of this world ... My kingdom is not of this realm." John 20:36 So will He contradict His own words and come back and set up an earthly kingdom? I don't think so. Where's the scripture that tells us there's a two-millennium gap between Daniel's 69th week and the 70th week? Not there. Where's the scripture that tells us that when Jesus returns for His saints, that He will be invisible to all except believers? You won't find it. Where is the word "dispensation" used in the Bible to mean a period of time? Not there. Where's the scripture that says there are two gospels - the gospel of the kingdom and the gospel of grace? Not there. Where is the evidence that C.I. Scofield led a godly Christian life? It was just the opposite for much of his life. Yet he, probably more than anyone else was instrumental in propagating the false teaching started by John Nelson Darby. Where does it say that when Jesus returns for His saints, it will happen in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye? It's not there. Actually, it is that believers bodies will be changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye. Where does it say that, at that time, believers will disappear? No where. It says they will be caught up - there's nothing about them disappearing.
I guess we have to conclude that with "dispensationalism", the truth just isn't there.

Where's the scripture that mentions a seven-year tribulation? You won't find it. Where's the scripture that tells us Jesus is returning for His saints, then seven years later, He's coming with His saints? Not there. Where's the scripture that tells us that there's more days after the last day? You can't find it. Where's the scripture that says that Jesus will set up an earthly kingdom? He told Pilate immediately before His death,"My kingdom is not of this world ... My kingdom is not of this realm." John 20:36 So will He contradict His own words and come back and set up an earthly kingdom? I don't think so. Where's the scripture that tells us there's a two-millennium gap between Daniel's 69th week and the 70th week? Not there. Where's the scripture that tells us that when Jesus returns for His saints, that He will be invisible to all except believers? You won't find it. Where is the word "dispensation" used in the Bible to mean a period of time? Not there. Where's the scripture that says there are two gospels - the gospel of the kingdom and the gospel of grace? Not there. Where is the evidence that C.I. Scofield led a godly Christian life? It was just the opposite for much of his life. Yet he, probably more than anyone else was instrumental in propagating the false teaching started by John Nelson Darby. Where does it say that when Jesus returns for His saints, it will happen in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye? It's not there. Actually, it is that believers bodies will be changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye. Where does it say that, at that time, believers will disappear? No where. It says they will be caught up - there's nothing about them disappearing.
I guess we have to conclude that with "dispensationalism", the truth just isn't there.
dispensational Premillenialism has its share of problems

Since SteveB loves learning and studying the Bible, you would think he would have no trouble answering 10 simple questions about his beliefs. Apparently he doesn't know it well enough to defend his doctrine.

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh,
who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That -
1) at that time ye were without Christ, being
2) aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and
3) strangers from the covenants of promise,
4) having no hope, and
5) without God in the world:
13) But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

What was supplied to those in such a horrible condition?

1) For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
2) If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
3) How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4) Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
5) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
6) That the Gentiles should be fellow-heirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
7) Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
8) Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
9) And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
10) To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly [places] might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

I have underlined what is supplied or dispensed for this age. The problem is that 8 out of 10 people reading that will not embrace the truth and see the remedy for a people group that is under the disadvantage of those 5 insurmountable conditions of Eph 2:10-12 above.

That which is needed is supplied by God in Christ to answer this dilemma by his grace. The age of grace is prophesied to come to an end soon, followed by a different dispensation with a different operative principle of Divine dealing with men. We are told about it all through the prophets in the OT and the New.

What a wonderful Father God! What a glorious savior is our Lord Jesus Christ!
Hello JD731,

Praise God!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Since SteveB loves learning and studying the Bible, you would think he would have no trouble answering 10 simple questions about his beliefs. Apparently he doesn't know it well enough to defend his doctrine.
Hello @dwight92070,

Personal comment is not conducive to friendly discussion: if you take a look at the opening sentence of your response to him you will see why Steve was reluctant to enter into further discussion with you (quote):- "That's about as silly of an argument as it gets in favor of "dispensationalism".

Just be glad that SteveB, like yourself I am sure, takes joy in studying God's word, and be kind to a fellow brother in Christ.

Within the love of Christ our Saviour,
our Lord and Head.
Chris

'Study to shew thyself approved unto God,
a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
rightly dividing the word of truth.'

(2Ti 2:15)

God has spoken to mankind, and we are blessed to have in our possession a record of what He has said. The times and circumstances have necessitated different forms of administration or dispensation. God's administration with the nation of Israel under law was very different to His present administration, which is under grace: as was the administrations before and after the fall. The administrations yet to come in judgement and in glory will yet again differ from one another. For each is adapted to suit the times and the circumstances prevailing at the time.

If we are to rightly divide the subject matter of Scripture, we need to take into account these different administrations, for if we take what God has said in one administration (i.e., dispensation) and apply it in another, in advance of or before it, then we are going to find what we perceive to be contradictions where no contradictions actually exist. Similarly if we take a truth revealed in a later administration, and apply it in a previous one, in which it had been hid-in-God, then we are simply going to distort truth and misapply it.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hello @dwight92070,

Personal comment is not conducive to friendly discussion: if you take a look at the opening sentence of your response to him you will see why Steve was reluctant to enter into further discussion with you (quote):- "That's about as silly of an argument as it gets in favor of "dispensationalism".

Just be glad that SteveB, like yourself I am sure, takes joy in studying God's word, and be kind to a fellow brother in Christ.

Within the love of Christ our Saviour,
our Lord and Head.
Chris

Dwight -The personal comments were started by Obadiah:

"1. Man in a period prior to the fall
2. Man as fallen

"I think it would be hard to find any sincere Bible-believer who is willing to raise issue against such clear and basic divisions in the Word of God, whether they are called dispensations or not. In this sense, every true believer of Bible-truth is a dispensationalist even when the kindred camp most sharply contrasted with dispensationalism—namely, Covenant Theology Is introduced to the conversation."

Dwight - So according to Obadiah, if anyone "raises issue" with the above list, then he is not a sincere Bible believer. I do take issue with that list, so I am not a sincere believer?? Sounds like a personal comment. The list implies that redeemed man is not reigning with Christ NOW, but Ephesians 2:6 says that we are. I also take issue with Obadiah's implication that these five divisions are called "dispensations." The Bible does not say that. Furthermore Obadiah suggests that since every sincere Bible believer has no issue with the above list (which is false to begin with) that really we are all "dispensationalists". Totally false. You guys take on that label. Don't pin it on those of us who totally disagree with your doctrine.

Dwight - Then SteveB had to throw in his personal comment:

"Ironically, it's pretty clear that the non-dispensationalists" vilified us first, making us out to be the heretics, because we love learning and understanding the Bible."

Dwight - It's silly (there I go getting personal again) to suggest that we would label anyone who loves learning and understanding the Bible - a heretic, unless they earned that label by deviating from the clear teaching of the gospel. "Dispensationalism" does approach heresy, especially when they teach that Jesus' words, in particular the Sermon on the Mount, are not for us today - that's for Christians during the Millennium. It will be too late by that time, especially if there is no Millennium. Also, they teach the blasphemous doctrine that animal sacrifice will be reinstated during that same time - with God's approval!!??? Which is a slap in the face of God and Christ and a repudiation of His sacrifice for us. We, on the other hand, have been called heretics and racists because we disagree with you guys. So really, from what side are the mean personal comments coming from? From my side, because I labeled an argument "silly"?? Surely your skin is a little thicker than that!!

2. Man as fallen

"I think it would be hard to find any sincere Bible-believer who is willing to raise issue against such clear and basic divisions in the Word of God, whether they are called dispensations or not. In this sense, every true believer of Bible-truth is a dispensationalist even when the kindred camp most sharply contrasted with dispensationalism—namely, Covenant Theology Is introduced to the conversation."

Dwight - So according to Obadiah, if anyone "raises issue" with the above list, then he is not a sincere Bible believer. I do take issue with that list, so I am not a sincere believer?? Sounds like a personal comment. The list implies that redeemed man is not reigning with Christ NOW, but Ephesians 2:6 says that we are. I also take issue with Obadiah's implication that these five divisions are called "dispensations." The Bible does not say that. Furthermore Obadiah suggests that since every sincere Bible believer has no issue with the above list (which is false to begin with) that really we are all "dispensationalists". Totally false. You guys take on that label. Don't pin it on those of us who totally disagree with your doctrine.

"Ironically, it's pretty clear that the non-dispensationalists" vilified us first, making us out to be the heretics, because we love learning and understanding the Bible."

Dwight - It's silly (there I go getting personal again) to suggest that we would label anyone who loves learning and understanding the Bible - a heretic, unless they earned that label by deviating from the clear teaching of the gospel. "Dispensationalism" does approach heresy, especially when they teach that Jesus' words, in particular the Sermon on the Mount, are not for us today - that's for Christians during the Millennium. It will be too late by that time, especially if there is no Millennium. Also, they teach the blasphemous doctrine that animal sacrifice will be reinstated during that same time - with God's approval!!??? Which is a slap in the face of God and Christ and a repudiation of His sacrifice for us. We, on the other hand, have been called heretics and racists because we disagree with you guys. So really, from what side are the mean personal comments coming from? From my side, because I labeled an argument "silly"?? Surely your skin is a little thicker than that!!
Forgive my interference, please, @dwight92070.
It serves me right for poking my nose in where it had no business to be.

The intent of the thread is the understanding of dispensationalism.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

2. Man as fallen

animal sacrifice will be reinstated during that same time - with God's approval!!??? Which is a slap in the face of God and Christ and a repudiation of His sacrifice for us

Yes it would be.

I don't know of any scripture that speaks of the "age of grace". Maybe you can find one. John 1:17 says "For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ." So here we have the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. Yes, grace and truth came through Jesus during this time of the New Covenant, but the New Testament speaks of this age as evil, not as an "age of grace":

Galatians 1:4 "who gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil age, ..."

Paul compares the wisdom "of this age" to "God's wisdom" in 1 Corinthians 2:6-7. The wisdom "of this age" is "earthly, natural, demonic", according to James 3:15.

This age has been evil ever since the fall of Adam and Eve.

Obviously, there is grace for any who receive Jesus, but there is no grace for the unrepentant - other than the grace that the Father has always poured out on all mankind - rain, sunshine, water, food, shelter, etc. But that grace is meant to bring men to repentance, yet most people still reject Him.

Currently believers only are under the grace of the New Covenant. The Bible does not call it the "age of grace".

It also speaks of "the age to come" and specifically identifies it as a time when disciples will experience "eternal life" as a reward for their works done in this age. There is no mention of reigning with Christ here on earth for 1000 years.

Matthew 10:29-30 "Jesus said, 'Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and the gospels sake, but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life.

This "age to come" cannot be the 1000 year earthly reign of Christ, as the "dispensationalists" would have us believe, because the Bible tells us that Christ is reigning from heaven now and that He will be reigning from heaven (not on earth) also in the "age to come".

Ephesians 1:19-20 "These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and "seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places", far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, "not only in this age but also in the one to come."

So we know that Christ will never abrogate His heavenly throne to take an earthly throne here on earth in Jerusalem. Yes, He will return to earth to rapture all believers and for judgement, but He will not trade His throne in heaven for a throne in Jerusalem.

All the prophecies in the Old Testament that seem to be referring to the Millennium and Christ's second coming, are actually fulfilled in Christ's first coming, when He began His reign in heaven - again, according to Ephesians 1:19-20 quoted above. The Bible says that we are also "seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus". We are currently reigning with Him, since we are "in Christ". Ephesians 2:6

All prophecies of Israel returning to their land were already fulfilled when they returned from Babylon.

I don't know of any scripture that speaks of the "age of grace". Maybe you can find one. John 1:17 says "For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ." So here we have the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. Yes, grace and truth came through Jesus during this time of the New Covenant, but the New Testament speaks of this age as evil, not as an "age of grace":​
Galatians 1:4 "who gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil age, ..."​
Paul compares the wisdom "of this age" to "God's wisdom" in 1 Corinthians 2:6-7. The wisdom "of this age" is "earthly, natural, demonic", according to James 3:15.​
This age has been evil ever since the fall of Adam and Eve.​
Obviously, there is grace for any who receive Jesus, but there is no grace for the unrepentant - other than the grace that the Father has always poured out on all mankind - rain, sunshine, water, food, shelter, etc. But that grace is meant to bring men to repentance, yet most people still reject Him.​
Currently believers only are under the grace of the New Covenant. The Bible does not call it the "age of grace".​
It also speaks of "the age to come" and specifically identifies it as a time when disciples will experience "eternal life" as a reward for their works done in this age. There is no mention of reigning with Christ here on earth for 1000 years.​
Matthew 10:29-30 "Jesus said, 'Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and the gospels sake, but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life.​
This "age to come" cannot be the 1000 year earthly reign of Christ, as the "dispensationalists" would have us believe, because the Bible tells us that Christ is reigning from heaven now and that He will be reigning from heaven (not on earth) also in the "age to come".​
Ephesians 1:19-20 "These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and "seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places", far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, "not only in this age but also in the one to come."​
So we know that Christ will never abrogate His heavenly throne to take an earthly throne here on earth in Jerusalem. Yes, He will return to earth to rapture all believers and for judgement, but He will not trade His throne in heaven for a throne in Jerusalem.​
All the prophecies in the Old Testament that seem to be referring to the Millennium and Christ's second coming, are actually fulfilled in Christ's first coming, when He began His reign in heaven - again, according to Ephesians 1:19-20 quoted above. The Bible says that we are also "seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus". We are currently reigning with Him, since we are "in Christ". Ephesians 2:6​
All prophecies of Israel returning to their land were already fulfilled when they returned from Babylon.​
'Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection:
on such the second death hath no power,
but they shall be priests of God and of Christ,
and shall reign with Him a thousand years.'

(Rev 20:6)

Hello @dwight92070,

The millennial reign of 1,000 yrs is the period in which the Overcomers will reign with Christ. They had been martyred for the Word of God and the testimony of Christ (Rev. 20:4, Rev.6:9-11): and will have part in the first of the two resurrections spoken of in Revelation 20, they shall be priests of God and of Christ during that period.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
We are reigning with Him right now:

"and raised us up with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus ... " Ephesians 2:6

We are also priests right now:

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession ... for once you were not a people (being Gentiles), but now you are the people of God; you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy." 1 Peter 2:9-10

Apocalyptic scripture is greatly symbolic (not all of it, but much of it), but you are taking Rev. 20 literally.

Was Satan, a spirit being literally bound with a chain? Verse 2 No, a spirit cannot be bound with a chain.

Is Satan literally a dragon and a serpent? Verse 2 No, these represent his character.

Is there literally a key for the abyss? Verse 1 No, God doesn't need a key for anything.

Was Satan literally bound for a thousand years? Verse 2 The time seems to be symbolic, since it's been over 2000 year since He rose from the dead. The number 1000 has been used symbolically in other places in the Bible as well:

"For every beast of the forest is Mine, the cattle on a thousand hills." Psalm 50:10 I would guess that since the Lord owns ALL the cattle on the globe, that there would be far more than just one thousand hills. Obviously, God is speaking symbolically of a LARGE number.
"Remember His covenant forever, the word which He commanded to a thousand generations." 1 Chronicles 16:15 Exactly one thousand? I don't think so - it's symbolic for a large number.
"A day in your courts is better than a thousand outside ..." Psalm 84:10 The sons of Korah are speaking symbolically.
We do the same thing. That wouldn't happen in a thousand years!
If God had given the exact numbers of years for the period of the church, say 2024, then we would know the year of His coming, or at least, pretty close, which we are assured He doesn't want us to know. Instead He chose one thousand years, a symbolic term for a great number of years.

The binding of Satan seems to be the power of the cross over him and the power of the gospel to free his captives. (Romans 1:16) See the verses below. On the cross Jesus bound Satan for the entire period of the gospel, which extends to just before His Second Coming, when Verse 3 tells us "he must be released for a short time".

Colossians 2:15 "When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities."
Hebrews 2:14 "... that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil." Hebrews 2:14
1 John 3:8 "The Son of God appeared for this purpose, that He might destroy the works of the devil."

Is Satan bound now? For those of us who are in Christ, abiding in Him, he is. Also the power of the gospel, which has been preached since His resurrection, is continually delivering more people out of the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light. Satan has been stripped of his purpose to deceive the nations through the preaching of the gospel.

However currently we do see much deception throughout the globe, especially since Covid. So we may possibly be in the period where Satan has been loosed for a short time. We don't know for sure. If we are, then we know that His 2nd coming occurs after that. Also, we don't know how long "a short time" is.

I don't know of any scripture that speaks of the "age of grace". Maybe you can find one. John 1:17 says "For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ." So here we have the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. Yes, grace and truth came through Jesus during this time of the New Covenant, but the New Testament speaks of this age as evil, not as an "age of grace":

Galatians 1:4 "who gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil age, ..."

Paul compares the wisdom "of this age" to "God's wisdom" in 1 Corinthians 2:6-7. The wisdom "of this age" is "earthly, natural, demonic", according to James 3:15.

This age has been evil ever since the fall of Adam and Eve.

Obviously, there is grace for any who receive Jesus, but there is no grace for the unrepentant - other than the grace that the Father has always poured out on all mankind - rain, sunshine, water, food, shelter, etc. But that grace is meant to bring men to repentance, yet most people still reject Him.

Currently believers only are under the grace of the New Covenant. The Bible does not call it the "age of grace".

It also speaks of "the age to come" and specifically identifies it as a time when disciples will experience "eternal life" as a reward for their works done in this age. There is no mention of reigning with Christ here on earth for 1000 years.

Matthew 10:29-30 "Jesus said, 'Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and the gospels sake, but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life.

This "age to come" cannot be the 1000 year earthly reign of Christ, as the "dispensationalists" would have us believe, because the Bible tells us that Christ is reigning from heaven now and that He will be reigning from heaven (not on earth) also in the "age to come".

Ephesians 1:19-20 "These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and "seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places", far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, "not only in this age but also in the one to come."
see also

Daniel 7:13–14 (ESV) — 13 “I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him. 14 And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.

Luke 19:11–12 (ESV) — 11 As they heard these things, he proceeded to tell a parable, because he was near to Jerusalem, and because they supposed that the kingdom of God was to appear immediately. 12 He said therefore, “A nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and then return.

see also

Daniel 7:13–14 (ESV) — 13 “I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him. 14 And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.

Luke 19:11–12 (ESV) — 11 As they heard these things, he proceeded to tell a parable, because he was near to Jerusalem, and because they supposed that the kingdom of God was to appear immediately. 12 He said therefore, “A nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and then return.

Amen. Jesus was given a kingdom called the Kingdom of God, which consists of all peoples, nations, and languages who have become His disciples, and that kingdom is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and His kingdom is one that shall not be destroyed. So, we cannot suppose that He will accept a demotion to become a king here on earth in Jerusalem. This earth WILL pass away, so why would Jesus accept an earthly kingdom, when this earth will be burned up? His throne for this kingdom is in heaven and He will never abdicate that throne. He said, "My kingdom is not of this world.", so why do "dispensationalists" say that it is?

Back
Top Bottom