This sounds interesting

Kind of like those "Jewish" translations of the Bible do?

I'm going to make one more comment on this and leave it at that. I wouldn't mind discussing in another thread.....

Hebrew, as we know it today, is a translated language. We know what proto-Hebrew looks like. We have historical records that give us the information. The language of Moses is from a different alphabet and script than what has survived in the block-script Hebrew of the MT.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are on par, age-wise with the Septuagint.

Just a point of reference.

Not really. Closer but not close enough. There are at least 4 extant Hebrew "streams" in the pedigree of the Scriptures. I believe the Greek OT is superior in many areas to the MT.

You mean the OJB?
brother-I have nothing against the Hebrew Tanack-most here can't read it-don't be too quick to judge a "book by it's cover"
J.

It is certainly valuable. We just need to recognize there is more to the story than just blindly accepting a reading because it is in Hebrew.

Hebrew, as we know it today, is a translated language. We know what proto-Hebrew looks like. We have historical records that give us the information. The language of Moses is from a different alphabet and script than what has survived in the block-script Hebrew of the MT.

Sure, a language can change drastically over time, not sure I would call that "tranlsation" but I get your point.

Try reading this olde English, lol:

"Forsooth he was wounded for our wickednesses, he was defouled for our great trespasses; the learning of our peace was on him, and we be made whole by his wanness." - Wycliffe

Even the KJV can be incomprehensible.

Really? How do you establish this as fact?
From Scripture.
[Gen 1:3-4, 5, 14, 16-19 LSB] 3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 And God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.
14 Then God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years; ... 16 So God made the two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night, and [also] the stars. 17 And God placed them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 and to rule the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness; and God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.

You sound a bit LXX biased.

No offense intended. :)

I've heard that before.... :)

I don't feel that I am. I just go where the information leads me. There are few distinctly MT references that are no doubt original. However, I believe there are many more LXX readings that are distinctly orginal.

I appreciate your open-mindedness.

In fact, Obadiah, there are actually arguments you can make from evolution.

Without desiring to become off-topic, let me just throw out a little advertisement here:

Evolution displays the moral aspects of sin: selfish striving to survive and replicate at the expense of others.

Evolution displays incredible design: Imagine winding up a mechanism that later unfolds into the most intricate biological machines.

Evolution represents the curse and punishment: it displays constant suffering, life at the cost of death, imperfection and struggle to survive.

Evolution displays redemptive grace: in the midst of the curse we find much beauty and meaning.

Now consider every Christian doctrine that can still be retained:

1. Original ancestors who transgressed God's Law bringing a curse.

2. An invisible realm with angels and demons.

3. God becoming a man to suffer the punishment of sins.

4. Revelation from and union with the Holy Spirit.

5. A final moral judgment of all of our lives before the throne of God.
Lol evolution is chaos becoming intelligent , goo evolving into intelligence, becoming better not worse. Scripture says the opposite we are getting worse from the curse not better. Evolution by definition excludes God, intelligence, design etc

Back
Top Bottom