The Mystery of Election from this Classical Arminian Point of View

Diserner

I generally follow the ideas of Classical Arminianism, which embraces God's love for all people, the necessity of preceding grace for all those born in sin, the remedy of faith in Christ's substitionary death and resurrection, and the possibility of real apostasy. But all of us who accept Christ as salvation, when we learn of God's salvific economy, we intuitively run the numbers—we factor the way the morality of it "feels" inside our heart—and it's almost impossible not to feel one way or the other. If God seems to allow or work in some way that seems unjust, immoral or puzzling, it's a great challenge and can even become a source of offense to our soul.

I think it's absolutely necessary to employ two disciplines here—to accept things in Scripture that seem contradictory, and put to death everything in us that wants to logically prove our point. The biggest place this happens—is when we posit that God loves all people, and yet some are not saved—and this entails the puzzling contradiction of not seeing a way love synthesizes with letting some be lost, in one way or another. If we were simply to accept these two things—without trying to explain how and prove that they can be logically compatible—it might protect us from being misled by trusting in our own intellect and morality, to attempt to prove they can be compatible, and our own feelings could potentially motivate us to accept a certain doctrine that purports to "fix" the tension in a way that feels understandable or right to us. Weirdly people seem more ready to marry things as opposite as determinism and free will, than to blend universal love and an inexplicable lack of grace's universal bestowal.

A certain Dr. James White likes to call preceding grace the Arminian "duct tape," as if the best we could do is try to patch things together haphazardly. Sadly, even Dr. Flowers the Provisionist constantly seems to also mischaracterize Arminians in similar fashion, by calling our preceding grace a "mystical zapping" not found in the Bible. But I think the real duct tape we pull out, is trying to explain and justify to ourselves when God tells us two different things that seem to contradict, and we can't work it out logically or emotionally, instead of taking the path of complete humility and accepting a paradox that seems impossible to our limited understanding.

Preceding grace is in some way or other believed by all theologies, and the only reason it seems superfluous or absent, is because one doesn't like its implications—that man is both sinfully helpless to begin salvation, and yet free to reject the grace as its offered. Certainly it's frustrating that people seem too ready to box everyone under certain labels, and not allow the nuances for people to self-define, and I've been guilty of that. There are people of all labels with peculiar differences and variations, and all too ready to jump on someone for any perceived infraction of so-called misrepresentation, instead of helpfully explain. And little known to many, there are Arminians who believe in a form of special election, and I'd like to explain that here.

It is obvious to me, anyway, that putting spiritual principles together, it seems unlikely, if not impossible that all people receive the same amount of grace, and probably not even the grace to find the remedy of salvation in Christ under such areas and time periods of intense spiritual darkness. I can chalk that up in some way to the curse of the original sin and every consequence of that terrific rebellion that initiated the kind of unfair world we now live in. But the natural understanding would insist God could surely make a better effort than he has, and there seems—if we are honest—sometimes no good enough reason one can find for God to allow the amount of victimization we know, even intuitively, has happened in this fallen world despite the gift of redemption.

And so I, as an Arminian, accept a form of special election of some souls that receive a more unique call and grace from God—although not irresistibly—yet still, I accept the predestination and election and calling of specific souls called by God with a grace and purpose that not every soul ubiquitously shares. I don't think this necessarily logically means God does not want all saved, and in fact I think this brings a unique responsibility to guide, pray for, and help those not so specially elected, just as the nation of Israel was elected to bring spiritual light to other surrounding pagan nations. But at the same time—people seem to just knee-jerk categorize Calvinists as people who believe in unique election and Arminians as people who believe in "peanut butter" grace. Not so—there is room for nuance here.

This does harmonize and explain many certain Bible verses that speak of special election with other Bible verses that speak of a universal intent to save. I have tried to work out some model of corporate election, and I do think the principle of Christ being the ultimate and real Elect One is true and valid, yet the Bible also seems to specifically use election in an individual sense, even under the subset of Christ as the uniquely elect, and indicate some individuals are also elected in Christ specifically. On what basis are they chosen if God universally loves and is no respecter of persons? Here, ironically, the Calvinist would probably be unsatisified with me appealing to the same mystery they seem to fall back on—the mystery of God's unfathomable counsel.

However, we could speculate, perhaps unwisely, some certain theories that would harmonize universal love with special election, and it seems even some variations of Calvinism really come awfully close to something like this, depending on who you talk to. It may be that God works within certain limitations set by man's rebellion—by God's own choice to allow it for his glory—whereupon because of original sin only certain souls are within his influence of grace because of free will choices. Does this make man the "determiner" of the elect? I think not, for it only makes man the "influencer," and someone who influences is not the same as someone who determines.

I would be glad to get into heaven any way I can—if I were not specially chosen, if I were the least saint in all of heaven, if I had to live in a little pup tent on the outskirts of glory and be heaven's lowly janitor—I guess I'd be truly grateful and consider the least saint in heaven better than the best sinner in hell. But I can't deny very powerful and vivid signs of some kind of call of God upon my life I had nothing to do with, and set me apart from many other people, even though I really often feel more unworthy and sinful than they are. There is some mark of God upon my life since I was even born, and clearly this is not universal.

Allow for nuance. Sometimes I think we don't leave much room for it in theology, and it never feels good to be dumped in the "Arminian" or "Calvinist" or whatever box, when we have given a lot of thought and prayer to our views. I hope I can listen to people and consider their thoughts, and that maybe they can see a new kind of theology that seems quite vastly under represented and under appreciated in that of a Classical Arminian. I hope this view proved thought provoking and interesting at least, and I hope some ministers come to prominence who can be as persuasive as other strains of theology.

Blessings to all those who love Christ sincerely.

I generally follow the ideas of Classical Arminianism, which embraces God's love for all people, the necessity of preceding grace for all those born in sin, the remedy of faith in Christ's substitionary death and resurrection, and the possibility of real apostasy. But all of us who accept Christ as salvation, when we learn of God's salvific economy, we intuitively run the numbers—we factor the way the morality of it "feels" inside our heart—and it's almost impossible not to feel one way or the other. If God seems to allow or work in some way that seems unjust, immoral or puzzling, it's a great challenge and can even become a source of offense to our soul.

I think it's absolutely necessary to employ two disciplines here—to accept things in Scripture that seem contradictory, and put to death everything in us that wants to logically prove our point. The biggest place this happens—is when we posit that God loves all people, and yet some are not saved—and this entails the puzzling contradiction of not seeing a way love synthesizes with letting some be lost, in one way or another. If we were simply to accept these two things—without trying to explain how and prove that they can be logically compatible—it might protect us from being misled by trusting in our own intellect and morality, to attempt to prove they can be compatible, and our own feelings could potentially motivate us to accept a certain doctrine that purports to "fix" the tension in a way that feels understandable or right to us. Weirdly people seem more ready to marry things as opposite as determinism and free will, than to blend universal love and an inexplicable lack of grace's universal bestowal.

A certain Dr. James White likes to call preceding grace the Arminian "duct tape," as if the best we could do is try to patch things together haphazardly. Sadly, even Dr. Flowers the Provisionist constantly seems to also mischaracterize Arminians in similar fashion, by calling our preceding grace a "mystical zapping" not found in the Bible. But I think the real duct tape we pull out, is trying to explain and justify to ourselves when God tells us two different things that seem to contradict, and we can't work it out logically or emotionally, instead of taking the path of complete humility and accepting a paradox that seems impossible to our limited understanding.

Preceding grace is in some way or other believed by all theologies, and the only reason it seems superfluous or absent, is because one doesn't like its implications—that man is both sinfully helpless to begin salvation, and yet free to reject the grace as its offered. Certainly it's frustrating that people seem too ready to box everyone under certain labels, and not allow the nuances for people to self-define, and I've been guilty of that. There are people of all labels with peculiar differences and variations, and all too ready to jump on someone for any perceived infraction of so-called misrepresentation, instead of helpfully explain. And little known to many, there are Arminians who believe in a form of special election, and I'd like to explain that here.

It is obvious to me, anyway, that putting spiritual principles together, it seems unlikely, if not impossible that all people receive the same amount of grace, and probably not even the grace to find the remedy of salvation in Christ under such areas and time periods of intense spiritual darkness. I can chalk that up in some way to the curse of the original sin and every consequence of that terrific rebellion that initiated the kind of unfair world we now live in. But the natural understanding would insist God could surely make a better effort than he has, and there seems—if we are honest—sometimes no good enough reason one can find for God to allow the amount of victimization we know, even intuitively, has happened in this fallen world despite the gift of redemption.

And so I, as an Arminian, accept a form of special election of some souls that receive a more unique call and grace from God—although not irresistibly—yet still, I accept the predestination and election and calling of specific souls called by God with a grace and purpose that not every soul ubiquitously shares. I don't think this necessarily logically means God does not want all saved, and in fact I think this brings a unique responsibility to guide, pray for, and help those not so specially elected, just as the nation of Israel was elected to bring spiritual light to other surrounding pagan nations. But at the same time—people seem to just knee-jerk categorize Calvinists as people who believe in unique election and Arminians as people who believe in "peanut butter" grace. Not so—there is room for nuance here.

This does harmonize and explain many certain Bible verses that speak of special election with other Bible verses that speak of a universal intent to save. I have tried to work out some model of corporate election, and I do think the principle of Christ being the ultimate and real Elect One is true and valid, yet the Bible also seems to specifically use election in an individual sense, even under the subset of Christ as the uniquely elect, and indicate some individuals are also elected in Christ specifically. On what basis are they chosen if God universally loves and is no respecter of persons? Here, ironically, the Calvinist would probably be unsatisified with me appealing to the same mystery they seem to fall back on—the mystery of God's unfathomable counsel.

However, we could speculate, perhaps unwisely, some certain theories that would harmonize universal love with special election, and it seems even some variations of Calvinism really come awfully close to something like this, depending on who you talk to. It may be that God works within certain limitations set by man's rebellion—by God's own choice to allow it for his glory—whereupon because of original sin only certain souls are within his influence of grace because of free will choices. Does this make man the "determiner" of the elect? I think not, for it only makes man the "influencer," and someone who influences is not the same as someone who determines.

I would be glad to get into heaven any way I can—if I were not specially chosCncerning the cnocpen, if I were the least saint in all of heaven, if I had to live in a little pup tent on the outskirts of glory and be heaven's lowly janitor—I guess I'd be truly grateful and consider the least saint in heaven better than the best sinner in hell. But I can't deny very powerful and vivid signs of some kind of call of God upon my life I had nothing to do with, and set me apart from many other people, even though I really often feel more unworthy and sinful than they are. There is some mark of God upon my life since I was even born, and clearly this is not universal.

Allow for nuance. Sometimes I think we don't leave much room for it in theology, and it never feels good to be dumped in the "Arminian" or "Calvinist" or whatever box, when we have given a lot of thought and prayer to our views. I hope I can listen to people and consider their thoughts, and that maybe they can see a new kind of theology that seems quite vastly under represented and under appreciated in that of a Classical Arminian. I hope this view proved thought provoking and interesting at least, and I hope some ministers come to prominence who can be as persuasive as other strains of theology.

concerning the concept of chosen/elect, Christ is THE true chosen and elect. When we receive Him and He indwells us we take these attributes on. Similiar to saying redemption is in Christ. Without Him. there is no redemption. Forgiveness is in Him, none outside of Christ.
It is foreknown who will be chosen: those who receive Christ and He indwells them. Then we take on that attribute from Him,

I would be glad to get into heaven any way I can—if I were not specially chosen, if I were the least saint in all of heaven, if I had to live in a little pup tent on the outskirts of glory and be heaven's lowly janitor—I guess I'd be truly grateful and consider the least saint in heaven better than the best sinner in hell. But I can't deny very powerful and vivid signs of some kind of call of God upon my life I had nothing to do with, and set me apart from many other people, even though I really often feel more unworthy and sinful than they are. There is some mark of God upon my life since I was even born, and clearly this is not universal.

One overriding principle I believe in is that God is not the author of confusion (1 Cor 14:33). That principle has proven itself true time after time as I navigated through or analyzed different branches of Christianity. I'm not saying that I have solved every contradiction there is. Far from it. But there are contradictions that I had to solve, at least to me, before I could move forward in my Christian walk. One such "contradiction" concerns justification and how James and Paul seemed to contradict each other when it comes to works. I just could not stand that "contradiction". That's me. I believe I have resolved it satisfactorily according to the Bible and only then could I carry on. My way of resolving it does not please everyone because it does not water down James' message as they are content to do. I believe 1 Cor 14:33 can be applied to everything that is within human comprehension grasp. We ask why are some people are saved and others are not. We need look no further than the fact that many people are content to remain in their sins, are indifferent, are just plain lazy, etc... The onus is on them to do what is right as God has revealed Himself to everyone as mentioned in Rom 1.

One overriding principle I believe in is that God is not the author of confusion (1 Cor 14:33). That principle has proven itself true time after time as I navigated through or analyzed different branches of Christianity. I'm not saying that I have solved every contradiction there is. Far from it. But there are contradictions that I had to solve, at least to me, before I could move forward in my Christian walk. One such "contradiction" concerns justification and how James and Paul seemed to contradict each other when it comes to works. I just could not stand that "contradiction". That's me. I believe I have resolved it satisfactorily according to the Bible and only then could I carry on. My way of resolving it does not please everyone because it does not water down James' message as they are content to do. I believe 1 Cor 14:33 can be applied to everything that is within human comprehension grasp. We ask why are some people are saved and others are not. We need look no further than the fact that many people are content to remain in their sins, are indifferent, are just plain lazy, etc... The onus is on them to do what is right as God has revealed Himself to everyone as mentioned in Rom 1.
That is where my questioning began about Gods nature/character and what I had believed all those years as a calvinist. Once I became open minded and not closed minded to seek the answers then I realized I could harmonize scripture about God which contradicted what I had believed about God. Its how I came to the conclusion Theology must begin with Gods innate character, nature, attributes and work from there since God is immutable/eternal. From there I just started going through my existing beliefs and looked at how they lined up with Gods Being. If then didn't then I changed my beliefs and faced the fact I was wrong. That strips one of their pride and humbles a person.

That is where my questioning began about Gods nature/character and what I had believed all those years as a calvinist. Once I became open minded and not closed minded to seek the answers then I realized I could harmonize scripture about God which contradicted what I had believed about God. Its how I came to the conclusion Theology must begin with Gods innate character, nature, attributes and work from there since God is immutable/eternal. From there I just started going through my existing beliefs and looked at how they lined up with Gods Being. If then didn't then I changed my beliefs and faced the fact I was wrong. That strips one of their pride and humbles a person.
Exactly! We have to be open-minded about what the Bible actually says and let the chips fall where they may. I'm lucky in that my family circumstances allow me to do that. They trust me in whichever Christian path I take.

Exactly! We have to be open-minded about what the Bible actually says and let the chips fall where they may. I'm lucky in that my family circumstances allow me to do that. They trust me in whichever Christian path I take.
That is excellent and I have a similar experience with my wife and family. My son in law who leans very calvinist ( listens to them all ) is softening up and hinted at that in his sermon sunday mentioning my influence in his life. He is wrestling with it like I did and questioning those beliefs. I'm patient with him and when the opportunity arises in our 2 mens discipleship groups we attend weekly I will always bring out the other side when a calvinist talks about being chose, elect, sovereignty etc..... I will always mention the scriptures about free will, human responsibility and synergism. I'm a thorn in their flesh lol. :)

Last edited:
here are thoughts..

chosen - options for me are that a soul was in paradise that fell... and descended to this earth... a soul willing to listen to Him and not closed-mindedly following tradition. jacob may become willing after getting humbled during trib.

elect - 144k... a remnant out of jacob (see above definition of chosen) who will meet Christ on the clouds before trib starts.

jacob - many of whom will hopefully go home after being visited by christ and His 144k during trib and having suffered much during that.

being free in paradise - means being of His thinking, IN Him, and therefore free of carnal thinking and the fleshbody. Thus no debates, since souls understand and are in their innocent made by Him sweet original Nature.

being free here - able to choose to try to be with God, to desire God, to choose for God not the evil realm. in a trivial sense, to be able to choose what to have for a meal or what to do on the weekend.

responsibility - a concept of the fallen situation of being on this earth, where man must fight off evil inclinations.

being good - on this earth, means to die to the needs and wants of this world (its nature and natural man).

being good, in paradise context - situation of His souls in an intrinsic way within His Nature.

Last edited:
sovereignty -

1. ego as a false impression, a delusion of control and power

2. earthly rule or control over some area

3. Pertaining to God

1-2 can be interchanged and applied transcendentally to the evil realm or in the earthly sense to those here.

Last edited:
I know you didn't ask, but if you're curious, I attempted a harmonization here:

Thanks for telling me about your comments. I find James 2 to be a masterstroke chapter, an absolute masterpiece. It's a precise and concise explanation of Justification. It brings both the Gentile and Jewish worlds together and points them both towards the essense of Justification.

In line with and to add to what you wrote, good works, which is our election vocation, are preordained by God and as such there is no cause for gloating because they come from God, not us.

Thanks for telling me about your comments. I find James 2 to be a masterstroke chapter, an absolute masterpiece. It's a precise and concise explanation of Justification. It brings both the Gentile and Jewish worlds together and points them both towards the essense of Justification.

In line with and to add to what you wrote, good works, which is our election vocation, are preordained by God and as such there is no cause for gloating because they come from God, not us.
Yes just as Paul says in Ephesians 2:10. :)

as long as you don't teach God does works thru us without our involvement, like a puppet

That is excellent and I have a similar experience with my wife and family. My son in law who leans very calvinist ( listens to them all ) is softening up and hinted at that in his sermon sunday mentioning my influence in his life. He is wrestling with it like I did and questioning those beliefs. I'm patient with him and when the opportunity arises in our 2 mens discipleship groups we attend weekly I will always bring out the other side when a calvinist talks about being chose, elect, sovereignty etc..... I will always mention the scriptures about free will, human responsibility and synergism. I'm a thorn in their flesh lol. :)
Changing one's belief system or paradigm way of thinking doesn't always come easy. I've heard it compared to one being in the dark for so long and if they're brought out into the light they have a hard time not squinting. It takes time even perhaps a couple of years for the questions to keep nudging their spirits how can this or that be so in the light of these rebuttals they've heard. Most people need time to process things.

Changing one's belief system or paradigm way of thinking doesn't always come easy. I've heard it compared to one being in the dark for so long and if they're brought out into the light they have a hard time not squinting. It takes time even perhaps a couple of years for the questions to keep nudging their spirits how can this or that be so in the light of these rebuttals they've heard. Most people need time to process things.
Yes it took me a while with many questions on the nature and character of God until I left calvinism and several doctrines I once believed like tulip, PSA, Sovereignty in calvinism, free will to name a few.

Yes it took me a while with many questions on the nature and character of God until I left calvinism and several doctrines I once believed like tulip, PSA, Sovereignty in calvinism, free will to name a few.
conerning being called an Arminian, my post 107 in this thread is where I copied His post. he may have deleleted his after I called it on him.
His words exactly "many amininians such as your self?" Be careful Civic in your jumping to condemn me.

conerning being called an Arminian, my post 107 in this thread is where I copied His post. he may have deleleted his after I called it on him.
His words exactly "many amininians such as your self?" Be careful Civic in your jumping to condemn me.
What does your post have anything to do with what I said above ?

And where have I condemned you ?

Please reference that in a post . You are confusing me now with who I was years ago on that other forum .

You're quoting the wrong post number from a different thread. I went back and reviewed my post #101 in a different thread.

I did say "It is one of the reasons I am fearful for many Arminians such as yourself"

My mistake. In all honesty, I was dealing with multiple Arminians at the time and the "concept" of the OP in the other thread. It was not my intent to label you as an Arminian. I was expressing my fear for many Arminians.

I will say, to me, it should be a fearful thing to say what you preach about Jesus Christ and then have to face Him as your judge one day. There is none above Him.

You're quoting the wrong post number from a different thread. I went back and reviewed my post #101 in a different thread.

I did say "It is one of the reasons I am fearful for many Arminians such as yourself"

My mistake. In all honesty, I was dealing with multiple Arminians at the time and the "concept" of the OP in the other thread. It was not my intent to label you as an Arminian. I was expressing my fear for many Arminians.

I will say, to me, it should be a fearful thing to say what you preach about Jesus Christ and then have to face Him as your judge one day. There is none above Him.
Thanks for the clarity, the new forum is turing out be difficult.
I also accept your apology. no problem

Back
Top Bottom