The Definition of Grace

TibiasDad

Eph 2:8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

In preparation for a series on Grace, I found myself thinking deeper about the definition of Grace. Not that I thought the definition unclear, but the Lord was prompting me that there is a dynamic of Grace that, perhaps, was not fully realized in both a theological and pragmatic way in both my own faith or by the masses in general.

I suddenly realized that there are two perspectives in defining Grace, our human perspective, and God’s divine perspective.

The typical definition of Grace is “unmerited/undeserved favor”, which is our human view; we do not deserve God’s favor toward us! This is what we must acknowledge about ourselves in relation to God’s gifts to us.

But something that I had not concretely thought much about, was how God views Grace. That is until I sensed the Spirit prompting me to reevaluate my thinking more fully. It was then that I began to think about how God might define Grace, and I found the Spirit saying that the Godhead might say that it’s not only that we are undeserving, but also, and more importantly, that God didn’t have to be gracious at all. In other words, nothing we could ever do as humans can obligate God to act kindly to us. I have often quoted the former president of my alma mater, Ohio Christian University, Dr. Doug Carter, who once said, “Grace is grace because the one being gracious didn’t have to be!” But it never really registered as being God’s perspective.

Now I have long held that we are incapable of obligating God, but I had never consciously associated it with the definition of Grace, and doing so has dramatically changed my life perspective.

It has expanded my epignosko, my experiential knowledge of God personally, and my appreciation and enjoyment of all that he has blessed me with in this life.

Paul’s words in Eph 2:8-9 really struck me in a more profound way by applying not only the fact that I am completely undeserving of God’s blessing, both spiritual and practical, but that even if I were in some manner worthy, that God is not obligated to me in any manner because of my actions or apparent worth.

This is why salvation is by grace, through faith, and why it is not of ourselves, that is, not by works, but rather a gift of God! Our works are incapable of obligating God to act favorably in any way. I can’t ever back God into a proverbial corner and make him say, “Well, I guess you got me now!” God never has to do anything simply because I want him to do it!

It is by Grace, because it is only because God chooses to save out of his own desire to do so! Works and merit are meaningless if God doesn’t want to save us! That is the meaning of “I will have mercy on whom I want to have mercy”, and “nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” It has always been God decision, always his desire that precipitates salvation and never the desire or will of man that necessitates God to save us.

It is “the great and precious promises” of God that obligate God, not our asking him to save us. It is his promise alone that “whoever believes in him will not perish, but have everlasting life” that obligates him to do what he does.

Doug

Last edited:
Eph 2:8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

In preparation for a series on Grace, I found myself thinking deeper about the definition of Grace. Not that I thought the definition unclear, but the Lord was prompting me that there is a dynamic of Grace that, perhaps, was not fully realized in both a theological and pragmatic way in both my own faith or by the masses in general.

I suddenly realized that there are two perspectives in defining Grace, our human perspective, and God’s divine perspective.

The typical definition of Grace is “unmerited/undeserved favor”, which is our human view; we do not deserve God’s favor toward us! This is what we must acknowledge about ourselves in relation to God’s gifts to us.

But something that I had not concretely thought much about, was how God views Grace. That is until I sensed the Spirit prompting me to reevaluate my thinking more fully. It was then that I began to think about how God might define Grace, and I found the Spirit saying that the Godhead might say that it’s not only that we are undeserving, but also, and more importantly, that God didn’t have to be gracious at all. In other words, nothing we could ever do as humans can obligate God to act kindly to us. I have often quoted the former president of my alma mater, Ohio Christian University, Dr. Doug Carter, who once said, “Grace is grace because the one being gracious didn’t have to be!” But it never really registered as being God’s perspective.

Now I have long held that we are incapable of obligating God, but I had never consciously associated it with the definition of Grace, and doing so has dramatically changed my life perspective.

It has expanded my epignosko, my experiential knowledge of God personally, and my appreciation and enjoyment of all that he has blessed me with in this life.

Paul’s words in Eph 2:8-9 really struck me in a more profound way by applying not only the fact that I am completely undeserving of God’s blessing, both spiritual and practical, but that even if I were in some manner worthy, that God is not obligated to me in any manner because of my actions or apparent worth.

This is why salvation is by grace, through faith, and why it is not of ourselves, that is, not by works, but rather a gift of God! Our works are incapable of obligating God to act favorably in any way. I can’t ever back God into a proverbial corner and make him say, “Well, I guess you got me now!” God never has to do anything simply because I want him to do it!

It is by Grace, because it is only because God chooses to save out of his own desire to do so! Works and merit are meaningless if God doesn’t want to save us! That is the meaning of “I will have mercy on whom I want to have mercy”, and “nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” It has always been God decision, always his desire that precipitates salvation and never the desire or will of man that necessitates God to save us.

It is “the great and precious promises” of God that obligate God, not our asking him to save us. It is his promise alone that “whoever believes in him will not perish, but have everlasting life” that obligates him to do what he does.

Doug
The correct next step after recognizing that our works are incapable of obligating God is not to conclude that our works are meaningless of God doesn't want to save us, but to recognize that the incredible value in doing works has absolutely nothing to do with causing God to become obligated to us. God's law was never given as instructions for how to cause God to become obligated us, so that was never why we should obey it, but rather it was given as a gift for our own good (Deuteronomy 6:24, 10:12-13).

Last edited:
One thing some add to thereby distort the definition of grace is that God's grace must always be unconditional....that grace must be given by God and received by man unconditionally....that God is not allowed to put conditions upon His free gift.

One thing some add to thereby distort the definition of grace is that God's grace must always be unconditional....that grace must be given by God and received by man unconditionally....that God is not allowed to put conditions upon His free gift.
would you agree Gods grace is undeserved ?

Grace Salvation or Salvation by Grace shows how God is discriminate in who He saves because all are undeserving.
No Gods grace is for all mankind as Paul teaches. The grace of God appeared to all men, mankind, the entire human race, everyone, all people etc.....

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men"

Acts 17:30
Although God overlooked the ignorance of earlier times, He now commands all people everywhere to repent.

1 Timothy 2:4
who wants everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Titus 3:4
But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared

No Gods grace is for all mankind as Paul teaches. The grace of God appeared to all men, mankind, the entire human race, everyone, all people etc.....

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men"

Acts 17:30
Although God overlooked the ignorance of earlier times, He now commands all people everywhere to repent.

1 Timothy 2:4
who wants everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Titus 3:4
But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared
Grace is discriminate, Its only for a remnant

It is for all who believe! All have the potential to believe, and may believe! Belief is the only prerequisite to being saved!

Doug
False, believing is given by grace, Gods discriminating grace. Everyone who believes in Jesus were made partakers of discriminating grace.

False, believing is given by grace, Gods discriminating grace. Everyone who believes in Jesus were made partakers of discriminating grace.
All mankind receives Gods grace. As I have quoted Scripture- Gods grace appeared bringing salvation to all mankind. There is no "special " group that receives Gods grace.

hope this helps !!!

All mankind receives Gods grace. As I have quoted Scripture- Gods grace appeared bringing salvation to all mankind. There is no "special " group that receives Gods grace.

hope this helps !!!
Grace is given only to the elect remnant, thats why its called the election of grace Rom 11

5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

Grace is given only to the elect remnant, thats why its called the election of grace Rom 11

5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
nope eisegesis for that would mean the only grace given to anyone is still future to the remnant Jews and no one until then can be saved. That would mean you are not elect or saved.

oops

hope this helps !!!

nope eisegesis for that would mean the only grace given to anyone is still future to the remnant Jews and no one until then can be saved. That would mean you are not elect or saved.

oops

hope this helps !!!
Its right before you, and you dont accept it. Grace means an elect remnant out from the rest Rom 11:5-7

6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.

Grace is only for a remnant of mankind, an elect remnant, and the rest of humanity is judicially blinded.

Its right before you, and you dont accept it. Grace means an elect remnant out from the rest Rom 11:5-7

6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.

Grace is only for a remnant of mankind, an elect remnant, and the rest of humanity is judically blined.
nope the context for elect is the future remnant, not you. :)

Back
Top Bottom