Mark 16:16~"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

UM

Romans 4 (KJV 1900) — 1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Abraham believed/had faith/a living, active, obedient faith, and that was counted to him for righteousness. Doing good works, trying to earn salvation through them, would reckon the reward as a debt, not a gift. But works of faith are not "good works"; confessing Jesus as Lord (calling on the name of the Lord) is not a "good work" but is a work of faith that is required to receive salvation. The same is true of repentance and baptism.

Which of God's commands don't I trust? I understand the difference between trusting in a command in order to become saved and trusting in a command after I have been saved. (Acts 10:43-48) Yet apparently, you don't, and you don't even trust the most vital command to believe the gospel by trusting in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation (Acts 15:7-9; Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 1:18-21; 15:1-4; 2 Corinthians 4:3,4) and there is a reason for that. Now there is a difference between doing God's will in order to become saved (John 6:40) and doing God's will after we have been saved. (1 Thessalonians 5:14-18)
There is no such thing as becoming saved, and then doing what God commands. We either do what He commands that leads to/results in us receiving salvation, or we don't receive salvation.

There are certainly things we must do AFTER we receive salvation. But there are also a few things we must do BEFORE we receive salvation, and this is what you refuse to accept. Rom 10:9-10 makes it very clear that the physical action of confessing Jesus as Lord results in (and therefore must precede) receiving salvation. This is God's Word and so is indisputable and inarguable.
All Scripture must be taken as a whole AND properly harmonized with other Scripture before we reach our conclusion on doctrine. It's about proper hermeneutics and not greater or lesser. More information does not negate the fact that John 3:16 along with numerous other verses make it clear that we are saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications." (Luke 8:12; John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5-6; 5:1-2; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; 3:6-14, 26; Ephesians 2:8,9; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; Hebrews 10:39; 1 John 5:13 etc..).

I have already done such a study many years ago and (John 3:18; Acts 10:43; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5-6; 5:1; Ephesians 2:8,9 just to name some) sums it up for me. You seem to remain under the delusion that you are the Bible answer man and the rest of us desperately need your help in understanding the truth of God's word. I at one time had temporarily attended the so-called church of Christ so I understand how they try to "shoehorn" works "into" salvation by grace through faith, not works. I also understand their cultic obsession with water baptism.
Yes, ALL Scripture must be taken as a whole and properly harmonized. You are taking select verses out from the whole and ignoring those verses that give more information to qualify and refine what is said in the verses you are selecting. Yes, belief/faith is essential to being saved, but what does it mean to believe? What is faith? You seem to think that the verses that give the least information are the most essential, more important, more spiritual, and that the verses that give more information are extraneous, and unnecessary.

There is no "shoehorning" of anything in the doctrine that I teach. I know you know the Scriptures, but what I see in your doctrine is that you refuse to accept numerous passages to mean what they say. Instead, you choose to reword them, refocus them, or just ignore them completely. Yes, all the verses you listed above only say belief/faith is necessary. But those verses do not tell us what faith is. They do not tell us what it means to believe. But you reword the verse that defines faith, and you explain away the verses that describe how faith works. I am not the "Bible answer man". I know I have many faults. But thank God I have been washed in His blood, cleansed of my sin, and raised from the water of baptism to new life in Christ.

Yes The verse speaks of the Spirit not water

And it is hard to imagine that one could hold water is a replacement for the Spirit
I do not hold water as the replacement of the Spirit. The Spirit is not the only component that Scripture says is necessary. John 3:5 says both the Spirit AND water are necessary for rebirth. 1 Pet 3:21 says that it is in water baptism that we are saved. Yes, the Spirit is the one who cuts our sin from us during baptism (in water). Yes, we are united to Christ by the Spirit in baptism (in water). Both are necessary.

And so you imagine works means water baptism?
No, I do not imagine anything. I read Scripture that says that we must believe and be baptized to be saved (Mark 16:16), that we must be born again through both water and the Spirit (John 3:5), that through baptism in water we are saved (1 Pet 3:21), that in baptism (the same baptism already discussed: in water) we die to sin (Rom 6:1-7), that in baptism in water our sin is cut from us and we are united to Christ's resurrection (Col 2:11-14). This is what Scripture says, so this is what I believe and what I teach.

You are a broken record of error, misinterpretaton of scripture, and deception.
You failed in your "study" to find many of the places where salvation is mentioned, and to identify the requirements that God has placed on receiving it. No wonder your doctrine is so faulty. It took me two years to search, identify, review, categorize, and study all of the passages that speak of category #1 of salvation. You skimmed over the Word in about 2 or 3 hours, and your lack of diligence resulted in a very poor showing in your results.

I see, so you know how much time I have put into diligent Bible study over the 54 years that I have been saved. To assume also that I have not studied salvation before is naive on your part. I have studied it from every angle for decades. But yes, I went over all the verses again, just so I could tell you that I submitted to your challenge. And to further assume that after 5 1/2 decades of Bible study, that I still do not agree with you - it must be because of my lack of diligence that I don't come to the same conclusion that you do - is a joke, but I'm not laughing.

By the way, if it took you two years to do what you challenged us to do, and then asked us to get back with you (which I did), then it was a bogus challenge to begin with. The truth is that many of us have studied the Bible for decades - and hundreds of topics, so it doesn't take two years to come to conclusions. Why did it take you that long? You must have taken a lot of coffee breaks.

I have studied Mormonism, Jehovah's Witness doctrine, Seventh Day Adventist doctrine, Christian Science doctrine, the Word of Faith doctrine, Sabbatarianism, Dispensationalism, Calvinism, Once Saved Always Saved doctrine, the Trinity doctrine, the Deity of Christ doctrine, the Hebrew Roots movement, Pentecostalism, the Charismatic movement, the Baptism of the Holy Spirit doctrine, the Second Coming doctrine, the rapture doctrine, the millennium doctrine, the Bill Gothard hoax, and the Church of Christ doctrine, the generational curse doctrine, the Catholic church doctrine, evolution, attended a Bible school for 2 1/2 years, spent a summer in Israel, the six-day creation doctrine, the Power of Positive Thinking doctrine, and more that I won't mention now. I have compared all of these with the scriptures "examining the scriptures daily to see whether these things were so." Acts 17:11 By the way, I am NOT saying that I disagree with every doctrine or teaching that I have listed - some I agree with, others I don't.

"Now I make known to you, brethren, THE GOSPEL, which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, BY WHICH ALSO YOU ARE SAVED, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you AS OF FIRST IMPORTANCE what I also received, THAT CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SINS ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES, AND THAT HE WAS BURIED, AND THAT HE WAS RAISED ON THE THIRD DAY ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES ..." 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

To all my brothers and sisters on the Forum: Beware of the teaching of Doug Brent. It is a false teaching about salvation.edited In the above passage in 1 Corinthians, Paul makes it CRYSTAL CLEAR what we must believe to be saved. Notice he didn't say we had to DO ANYTHING for initial salvation, no works of ANY kind - JUST BELIEVE. To add anything to that or subtract anything from that is to invite the curse of God into our lives, which Paul warns about in Galatians 1:6-9. It is telling that both the Mormons and the Catholic church hold to this false doctrine, as well as the Church of Christ, all of which have MANY false doctrines.

One sign edited that it tampers with the truth of how we can be saved - this is exactly what Doug Brent and the Church of Christ do - Satan loves to do that, so that more people will be lost.

Ask Doug Brent if he thinks that those of us who disagree with him, are truly saved. Many of his ilk will say "No, you are not saved."
Ask him if we continue to reject his doctrine, is there any hope of us ever being saved. Again, many of his doctrine will say "No."

We need to listen to what Paul and the other New Testament authors teach, not what Doug Brent tells us they are saying.

Baptismal regeneration is found nowhere in Scripture. A first time reader of the Bible will not even see it. Why? Because it's not there! It takes Satan to deviously twist a verse here and a verse there, to even devise such a false teaching. Then Satan will use a deceived person, a false prophet or false teacher, to propagate his poison.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I do not imagine anything. I read Scripture that says that we must believe and be baptized to be saved (Mark 16:16), that we must be born again through both water and the Spirit (John 3:5), that through baptism in water we are saved (1 Pet 3:21), that in baptism (the same baptism already discussed: in water) we die to sin (Rom 6:1-7), that in baptism in water our sin is cut from us and we are united to Christ's resurrection (Col 2:11-14). This is what Scripture says, so this is what I believe and what I teach.
And yet you argue works are necessary for salvation based on your understanding of James.

So what works and how many are required for salvation?

I do not hold water as the replacement of the Spirit. The Spirit is not the only component that Scripture says is necessary. John 3:5 says both the Spirit AND water are necessary for rebirth. 1 Pet 3:21 says that it is in water baptism that we are saved. Yes, the Spirit is the one who cuts our sin from us during baptism (in water). Yes, we are united to Christ by the Spirit in baptism (in water). Both are necessary.
Oh but you removed mention of the Spirit to tout water baptism

Ephesians 4:4–5 (KJV 1900) — 4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

To Bob Carabbio - We, as believers, HAVE the Holy Spirit, so by His grace we CAN come to know the truth. So He DOES give us His input. So what exactly is your point? Are you saying to us who have the Holy Spirit to stop trying to understand God's word, because we won't be able to? That's what it sounds like you're saying - just give up discussing, studying and comparing scriptures and opinions, because you'll never find the answers. Not only would that be laziness, but also disobedience to the word and the Lord Himself:

Jesus said, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you WILL KNOW the truth, and the truth will make you free." John 8:31-32

"Be DILIGENT to present yourself approved to God as a WORKMAN who does not need to be ashamed, ACCURATELY HANDLING the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

"Now these (the Bereans) were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, EXAMINING THE SCRIPTURES DAILY to see whether these things were so." Acts 17:11

Maybe this is why we don't see very much input coming from you in these posts.

Last edited:
To Bob Carabbio - We, as believers, HAVE the Holy Spirit, so by His grace we CAN come to know the truth. So He DOES give us His input. So what exactly is your point? Are you saying to us who have the Holy Spirit to stop trying to understand God's word, because we won't be able to? That's what it sounds like you're saying - just give up discussing, studying and comparing scriptures and opinions, because you'll never find the answers. Not only would that be laziness, but also disobedience to the word and the Lord Himself:

Jesus said, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you WILL KNOW the truth, and the truth will make you free." John 8:31-32

"Be DILIGENT to present yourself approved to God as a WORKMAN who does not need to be ashamed, ACCURATELY HANDLING the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

"Now these (the Bereans) were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, EXAMINING THE SCRIPTURES DAILY to see whether these things were so." Acts 17:11

As the KJV presents it

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV 1900) — 15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Amen

I see, so you know how much time I have put into diligent Bible study over the 54 years that I have been saved. To assume also that I have not studied salvation before is naive on your part. I have studied it from every angle for decades. But yes, I went over all the verses again, just so I could tell you that I submitted to your challenge. And to further assume that after 5 1/2 decades of Bible study, that I still do not agree with you - it must be because of my lack of diligence that I don't come to the same conclusion that you do - is a joke, but I'm not laughing.
No, I don't know how much time you have put into your study, but I can tell that much of the time has been wasted. Studying a subject with a particular bent in mind will always lead you to erroneous conclusions. You seem to have gone over the verses again in such haste that you overlooked many, and so you came to the same erroneous conclusion that you already had set in your mind. It is not me with whom I seek to have you agree; it is Scripture. And Scripture shows that your conclusion is faulty.
By the way, if it took you two years to do what you challenged us to do, and then asked us to get back with you (which I did), then it was a bogus challenge to begin with. The truth is that many of us have studied the Bible for decades - and hundreds of topics, so it doesn't take two years to come to conclusions. Why did it take you that long? You must have taken a lot of coffee breaks.
You are correct, the two years of study were not spent 100% of the time on the subject of salvation. The work I put in could probably have been condensed down to a couple of months if nothing else was done during the days of that study. And I would be willing to wait those couple of months, or even couple of years, for you to complete the full study. Having studied the Word for 50+ years might make it easier for you to complete the study, but it cannot be done in 2 hours regardless of how well you know the Scriptures. You made this clear in overlooking many passages that speak of specific requirements to receive salvation.
I have studied Mormonism, Jehovah's Witness doctrine, Seventh Day Adventist doctrine, Christian Science doctrine, the Word of Faith doctrine, Sabbatarianism, Dispensationalism, Calvinism, Once Saved Always Saved doctrine, the Trinity doctrine, the Deity of Christ doctrine, the Hebrew Roots movement, Pentecostalism, the Charismatic movement, the Baptism of the Holy Spirit doctrine, the Second Coming doctrine, the rapture doctrine, the millennium doctrine, the Bill Gothard hoax, and the Church of Christ doctrine, the generational curse doctrine, the Catholic church doctrine, evolution, attended a Bible school for 2 1/2 years, spent a summer in Israel, the six-day creation doctrine, the Power of Positive Thinking doctrine, and more that I won't mention now. I have compared all of these with the scriptures "examining the scriptures daily to see whether these things were so." Acts 17:11 By the way, I am NOT saying that I disagree with every doctrine or teaching that I have listed - some I agree with, others I don't.
I have done very little study of any of the false doctrines in the world. I have studied the Truth, so that I can recognize the false doctrines by their divergence from the Truth. It does not take studying the false to be able to shine the light of the Truth upon it. A soldier does not need to study a shield to understand how to use his sword to defeat the shield. He need only study, practice with, and learn his sword so that his sword becomes a part of his arm, and he becomes one with the sword.
"Now I make known to you, brethren, THE GOSPEL, which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, BY WHICH ALSO YOU ARE SAVED, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you AS OF FIRST IMPORTANCE what I also received, THAT CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SINS ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES, AND THAT HE WAS BURIED, AND THAT HE WAS RAISED ON THE THIRD DAY ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES ..." 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

Baptismal regeneration is found nowhere in Scripture. A first time reader of the Bible will not even see it. Why? Because it's not there! It takes Satan to deviously twist a verse here and a verse there, to even devise such a false teaching. Then Satan will use a deceived person, a false prophet or false teacher, to propagate his poison.
"Baptismal regeneration" is a key word moniker given to the truth to make it into a straw man that can be argued against. The Scripture is clear that water baptism is the point at which we receive salvation from God, by action of the Holy Spirit, through the power of the Blood of Jesus. This is described, explained, and stated clearly in 1 Pet 3:21, Acts 2:38, Col 2:11-14, Rom 6:1-7, Gal 3:26-27, Eph 5:26, John 3:5, Mark 16:16, Acts 22:16, and many other places. But people who believe the false doctrine of "faith only" will say that Eph 2:8-9 tells us that there is no action man must take that results in receiving salvation, because it is only faith that results in receiving the grace of salvation. But Rom 10:9-10 puts the lie to that contention, because it says that the physical action of confessing Jesus as Lord "with the mouth" RESULTS IN receiving salvation. This is not my interpretation of this verse, it is what the verse clearly says. This makes the "faith only" doctrine completely false, and the poison propagated by Satan and his minions (whether witting or not). Further, the only place in which the phrase "faith only" or "faith alone" or any other similar concept is found is in James 2:24 where it says that we are justified (declared righteous before God) based on our works, NOT by faith only. But Paul says that we are not saved by our works, doesn't this contradict James? No, Paul says that works of the Law do not save us. It is not the merit of our works that save us, any more than it was the merit of the nation marching around Jericho that caused the walls to fall outward. It was the obedience of the nation to God's command, thus meeting the condition set by God, by which God did what man could not do and knocked down the walls (except for the wall in which Rahab lived, as He said He would not do). There is no merit in doing what is commanded (Luke 17:7-10). But if the condition is not met, then the reward is not received, just as the city of AI was not taken in the first attempt because the conditions set by God in the sacking of Jericho were not kept (some of the plunder was taken by a few).

And yet you argue works are necessary for salvation based on your understanding of James.

So what works and how many are required for salvation?
Only as many as Scripture says lead to/result in receiving salvation. There are only three: repentance (Acts 3:19), confession of Jesus as Lord (Rom 10:9-10), and baptism (Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16) in water (1 Pet 3:21, Acts 8:36-38).

Oh but you removed mention of the Spirit to tout water baptism

Ephesians 4:4–5 (KJV 1900) — 4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
No, I do not remove the Spirit. He is the one doing the work of saving us while we are in the water. It is He that cuts our sin from us (Col 2:11-14). It is He who causes us to die to sin and be united to Jesus' resurrection (Rom 6:1-7). It is He who, by the power of Jesus' blood gives us a new conscience (1 Pet 3:21). And He does all of this during water baptism.

No, I do not remove the Spirit. He is the one doing the work of saving us while we are in the water. It is He that cuts our sin from us (Col 2:11-14). It is He who causes us to die to sin and be united to Jesus' resurrection (Rom 6:1-7). It is He who, by the power of Jesus' blood gives us a new conscience (1 Pet 3:21). And He does all of this during water baptism.
Once again there is no mention of water in Eph 4:5

nor any reference to immersion in water

finally to immerse does not define a practice of submerging momentarily and quickly emerging

Only as many as Scripture says lead to/result in receiving salvation. There are only three: repentance (Acts 3:19), confession of Jesus as Lord (Rom 10:9-10), and baptism (Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16) in water (1 Pet 3:21, Acts 8:36-38).
And what of your quotes from James?

He does not mention water while mentioning works

Once again there is no mention of water in Eph 4:5

nor any reference to immersion in water
There does not need to me mention of water in Eph 4:5. He is not making the point of WHICH baptism it is that is the ONE baptism in the NT Church. That point is made elsewhere, like 1 Pet 3:21, and Acts 8:36.
finally to immerse does not define a practice of submerging momentarily and quickly emerging
Yes, it does. John came baptizing (not drowning, but briefly immersing and then raising back out of the water). The "washing" for ceremonial purposes done by the Jews was not a permanent submersion of their hands, or bowls, or cups, or bed mats, but was simply a dipping for a short time to make them ceremonially clean according to the Law of Moses.

Back
Top Bottom