Justification by Faith

Justification

You fear infection, and so get as far from Doctor Crisp, and from Paul's Doctrine as may be. Crisp speaks of justification, as it is God's only free act, absolving and discharging all the elect of all their sins at once, even when he laid them on Christ. Now as God said to Job, “Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth,” so where was this faith, purity of heart, and sanctification then? This is no evasion you know; but by this all you have said is annihilated; he makes faith not to be necessary to justification, but the evidence of it in due time for the relieving, staying and comforting of the conscience troubled and affected by sin and the Law. – Doctor Crisp speaketh of justification, as it is God’s alone gracious act in Christ, discharging and acquitting all the elect in Him at the time of His passion and resurrection, fully and forever. This was done forever before the judgment of God. As for the instruments, whether the word to reveal and publish it, or faith to apprehend and rest upon it, they were neither necessary to that act of God; but only afterward to give evidence and assurance to the several consciences of all those elect, of what was done for them freely by God in Christ upon the cross. For there God was in Christ, reconciling them to Himself. II Cor.5:18. Robert Towne {“A Re-Assertion of Grace” 1654}

Justification

You fear infection, and so get as far from Doctor Crisp, and from Paul's Doctrine as may be. Crisp speaks of justification, as it is God's only free act, absolving and discharging all the elect of all their sins at once, even when he laid them on Christ. Now as God said to Job, “Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth,” so where was this faith, purity of heart, and sanctification then? This is no evasion you know; but by this all you have said is annihilated; he makes faith not to be necessary to justification, but the evidence of it in due time for the relieving, staying and comforting of the conscience troubled and affected by sin and the Law. – Doctor Crisp speaketh of justification, as it is God’s alone gracious act in Christ, discharging and acquitting all the elect in Him at the time of His passion and resurrection, fully and forever. This was done forever before the judgment of God. As for the instruments, whether the word to reveal and publish it, or faith to apprehend and rest upon it, they were neither necessary to that act of God; but only afterward to give evidence and assurance to the several consciences of all those elect, of what was done for them freely by God in Christ upon the cross. For there God was in Christ, reconciling them to Himself. II Cor.5:18. Robert Towne {“A Re-Assertion of Grace” 1654}
Total, complete, and absolute trash.
His humanistic logic is meaningless in the face of clear Biblical statements that say the exact opposite of what he is saying.

God planned His salvation of man before time began, and He executed His plan in the fullness of time (when the timing was exactly right). And part of His plan was that man would love Him in response to His love for us, and exhibit our love for Him through our faith (which includes our obedience to Him (James 2:26))(John 3:16). Our faith was part of His plan from the beginning, and it is through our faith that He pours His forgiveness on us (Eph 2:8-9). If we do not demonstrate our faith, then we cannot please God, and we do not receive His justification (Rom 5:1).

Question - When is the time that sin is taken away out of the sight of God? Answer - Remission of sins is even as ancient as satisfaction for sin and at what time Christ Jesus taketh our sins upon Himself at the same time are the persons of God’s elect justified before the tribunal of Almighty God. Question – Sir, please show us authority for this, for I have always thought that faith itself, is first in order of causes before our actual Justification in the sight of God? Answer - The act of our Faith is a consequent of our Justification, and not an antecedent is plain; for God justifieth the ungodly; and we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son when we were enemies. {Rom.5:10} Now believers cannot be called enemies, but friends; but we were reconciled when we were enemies. {Is.32:17} The effect of Righteousness is assurance; and they that are engrafted into Christ Jesus are justified; but we must be engrafted into Christ Jesus before we can believe, therefore we must be justified before we can believe. To believe is a good fruit, but we can bear no good fruit until we be engrafted into Christ Jesus. “Ye are the branches…for without me ye can do nothing.” {Jn.15:5} The branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it be incorporated into the Vine. - Know that Christ is made ours by God’s Imputation or Accounting, {Rom.4:3-9} Look by what way or means our sins were made Christ’s; and after the same manner, and by the same means, his Righteousness is made ours; but our sins became his by God’s accounting, as the Lord laid on him the iniquity of us all, so by the same account of God, {who calleth things that are not as though they were,} his Righteousness is made ours; and just as he became sin for us, so are we made the Righteousness of God in him; thus are we justified freely by his Grace, by his blood; and thus it is God that justifieth.

Henry Denne {Conference Between a Sick Man and a Minister, 1643}

Question - When is the time that sin is taken away out of the sight of God?
Sin is removed from us, and placed on Jesus, during baptism (Col 2:11-14). We are still dead in our sin until it is washed away during water baptism (Acts 22:16).
Question – Sir, please show us authority for this, for I have always thought that faith itself, is first in order of causes before our actual Justification in the sight of God?
There is no authority in Scripture for this author's falsehoods, because faith is a prerequisite to justification. Without faith we cannot and do not receive forgiveness and justification.

Sin is removed from us, and placed on Jesus, during baptism (Col 2:11-14). We are still dead in our sin until it is washed away during water baptism (Acts 22:16).

There is no authority in Scripture for this author's falsehoods, because faith is a prerequisite to justification. Without faith we cannot and do not receive forgiveness and justification.
You are being showed the Truth, however you are resistant to it.

Question - How are we said to be justified by faith? Answer - Faith is taken two ways; first, for the Object of our Faith; that is the thing which we do believe, as also hope is taken, {for Christ is our hope,} so we are justified by faith; that is, by the blood of Jesus Christ. Secondly; faith is taken for the act of our Faith beholding the glorious Object and so we are assured of our Justification; justified before God by the Object of our faith, assured by the act of our faith, appropriating this Object. Question - I perceive now that they only are righteous whom God accounteth righteous, whose Salvation is wrought in Christ Jesus; but how shall I know whether Christ hath satisfied for me, and so whether God accounteth me righteous or not? Answer - The knowledge of this comes by Faith, for the promise is made to believers; and this is the proper office of faith, {assurance,} to be persuaded of God’s mercy to us in particular. Henry Denne {Conference Between a Sick Man and a Minister, 1643}

mans commentary is written by man and uninspired. you are quoting mans word not Gods word.

I can quote 1000's of non calvinist writings that oppose your view so does that make me right ?

hope this helps !!!

mans commentary is written by man and uninspired. you are quoting mans word not Gods word.

I can quote 1000's of non calvinist writings that oppose your view so does that make me right ?

hope this helps !!!
You a man and make comments about scripture right? Why do you do that?

You a man like others, are you above other men?
I don’t need other Mens writings to think for me or interpret scripture. I can do that without their help or aid. Scripture, the Holy Spirit and lexicons are all that is needed. That is not to say I don’t need my local body if believers , elders and pastors that I’m accountable to in my personal life when it comes to teaching in the church and being accountable for what is being said and taught.

I don’t need other Mens writings to think for me or interpret scripture. I can do that without their help or aid. Scripture, the Holy Spirit and lexicons are all that is needed. That is not to say I don’t need my local body if believers , elders and pastors that I’m accountable to in my personal life when it comes to teaching in the church and being accountable for what is being said and taught.
Well what those men have written, I have been saying for years and have studied them things for myself, I have posts to prove that, these are men that God has also given the Truth, way before me, so what Im witnessing to with scripture isnt a novelty. And you are going to be held accountable for whatever of it is Truth.

Well why didn't you tell us that from the start? That changes everything!

You know of course it shouldn't. You know BF what the noble Bereans would say to such a statement. You know they'd examine the scriptures themselves.

He that is in Christ is justified; but we must be in Christ before we can believe, therefore we must be justified, before we can believe. The major is plain and the minor is proved, that we must be in Christ before we can believe, for to believe is a fruit of the Spirit. Likewise, we must be in Christ before we can bear fruit; therefore we must be in Christ, before we can believe. “As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.” {Jn.15:4} Secondly, if Faith be a good fruit, it is required that men must be good trees before they can bring it forth; otherwise, grapes should be gathered of thorns, and figs of thistles. {Mt.12:33} If you will, the argument may be stated thus; he that hath the Spirit of Christ, hath Christ; but we have the Spirit before we believe, therefore we have Christ before we believe. - We were made sinners in the first Adam, before we had done good or evil; therefore we are made righteous in the second Adam, before we have done good or evil. This consequence is proved; “therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.” {Rom.5:18,19} If you will place the emphasis of this text in ‘all’ and ‘many,’ you will cause the hearts of the Universalists to leap for joy, which you would not willingly do; therefore we must be forced to place the emphasis in ‘as’ and ‘so.’ As we all sinned in the loins of the first Adam, so were we all made righteous in the loins of the second Adam, the Lord Jesus Christ; and this agrees with the Ministry of Reconciliation; namely, “that God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them.” {II Cor.5:19} Where there is full satisfaction made in the parties offended accepting that satisfaction and contented to rest therein, there must needs follow perfect remission of sins; but in Christ crucified {before we believed} was full satisfaction made and God was contented to rest in that Satisfaction. Therefore there will follow perfect remission of sins, &c. “For by one offering he hath perfected forever them that are sanctified.” {Heb.10:14
{Seven Arguments to Prove, that in order of Working God doth Justify his Elect, Before they do Actually Believe. 1643}

Justification

by Peter L. Meney

"Being justified freely by his grace"

Most true Christians know the word justification and most will be able to tell you they believe themselves to have been justified by faith. But what is justification and why is it so important for believers in the Lord Jesus Christ to have a proper understanding of this term?
Here are seven key points with respect to justification that all believers should know and understand. If we are truly to appreciate what God has done for us in the sacrifice of his Son, our Saviour, we must see our position in terms of God's eternal love and mercy.

What justification is

Justification is a pronouncing a person righteous according to law as though he had never sinned. An important distinction here is to distinguish between pardon and justification. Pardon for sin is receiving mercy when we have been tried under law, found guilty and convicted. Justification is to have been tried and declared not guilty as though one had never sinned or transgressed the law. Also, while pardon takes away sin or at least the condemnation and guilt of our sin, it does not make us righteous. Justification on the other hand does. Not in the sense that sinners have righteousness poured into them so that they become sinless, but in the sense that God regards them as if they were righteous and reckons them to be so. Justification is the imputation of righteousness whereby a sinner is considered by God to be righteous.

The source of justification

The source of a Christian's justification is the Triune God. Only God can declare a sinner righteous because it is God who has been sinned against and God who is the judge of our sin. God therefore is the originator of a believer's justification. However, each person in the Trinity is actively engaged in the justification of a sinner. The Father, as author, established the terms of our justification agreeing to accept the ransom of Jesus Christ as the ground of reconciliation between God and man. Christ, as representative, perfectly obeyed, magnified and honoured the holy law of God. The Father accepted that righteousness, imputing it to His chosen people and declaring them righteous in His sight through the obedience of His Son. The Holy Spirit then brings the merits of this work of Christ to the heart of the sinner. He convinces men of their need, shows them the beauty of Christ's righteousness and bestows faith by which they trust in that completed work and the justifying purpose of God. John Gill summarised this Triune work by saying, 'the Father contrives it, the Son has procured it, and the Spirit applies it'.

What initiates justification

In this way we can clearly see that the justification of a sinner is God's work, not man's. Our justification does not flow from our obedience to the law. If it did we would be justified by works and not by grace. Nor are we justified by obedience to the gospel as if the gospel were an easier or milder form of law. Faith is not obedience to law. Our Christian profession does not justify us, nor, and this is important for it is widely misunderstood, does our believing the gospel and trusting in Christ. It is not the sinner's belief or his act of believing that justifies him before God. Rather it is the object of a believer's faith, specifically, the righteousness of Christ, and not the exercise of faith which God accepts. Justification is Christ's righteousness imputed to the sinner without any initiating act on the part of the sinner (Romans 4:6). To quote John Gill again,
We are, indeed, said to be justified by faith (Romans 5:1), but not by faith, as an act of ours, for then we should be justified by works . but we are justified by faith objectively, as it looks to, receives, apprehends, and embraces Christ's righteousness for justification.
It is God who justifies the sinner and not the sinner who justifies himself by his act of faith. We are justified for the sake of the Lord Jesus Christ, who by living obediently to the law won this justification for us and freely bore our sin in suffering and death, to cleanse us from guilt and remove our penalty.

How we are justified

Justification requires righteousness. Remember the distinction between justification and pardon? We know that the law convicts all men as unrighteous sinners so the righteousness of another must reckoned to us if we are going to be free from the law's condemnation. This is God's work. He justifies by imputing righteousness (God justifies the ungodly). Our state and God's demands require imputation and just as Adam's sin became ours by imputation so Christ's righteousness comes to all His people by imputation. Just as our sin became Christ's by imputation so His righteousness becomes ours (2 Corinthians 5:21).

When we are justified

When does God justify sinners? Some say the elect were justified when the Lord Jesus died, some say it was when the Lord rose again. Today a popular teaching is that justification takes place when a sinner believes and becomes a Christian. Other teachings have placed justification in the Garden of Eden immediately after the fall, or at the last judgement. However, in light of what we have learned above, it is clear that justification, i.e. the pronouncing of sinners as righteous by the imputation of Christ's righteousness, is the result and consequence of covenant agreements between the Father and the Son, regarding Christ's suretiship and substitutionary atonement for His bride. These covenants are from eternity and prove the case for justification from eternity. Those who teach justification conditional upon man's act of faith fail to do justice to the Biblical evidence of Romans 4:5 where we are told that God justifies the ungodly. Faith is the fruit of justification, not the other way around. Justification is what has been declared by God and accomplished by Christ. Faith lays hold upon that Word.

The people who are justified

The objects of justification are the elect people of God, His people chosen from before the foundation of the world. They are justified, according to Romans 8 and freed from all condemnation through Christ's representative and substitutionary death. Only the elect will be converted, only they elect will be given the gift of faith, only the elect will be saved (Romans 5:9,10). Nevertheless, this people are a great number whom no man can number. God's righteous servant has justified many (Isaiah 53:11).

The effect of justification

The elect of God, whom He has justified in Christ, are free from all wrath of God, Christ having interposed Himself in their place and borne their condemnation. They are reconciled to God and have peace with Him. Because of their sins here on earth they sometimes feel far from God and must sometimes be disciplined in a fatherly and loving way, but they are free from all condemnation and will never experience the judgement of God. These justified ones are converted from an ungodly state in time by the work of the Holy Spirit, obtain peace of conscience by the blood of Christ and have grace to enter boldly into the presence of God in prayer, worship and ultimately in their glorified bodies. A major effect of justification is sanctification, for 'whom he justified, them he also glorified.'(Romans 8:30).
The blessing of justification is a privilege of grace that only God could devise and only Christ accomplish. It is an act of God's free grace, bestowed completely upon all the elect, once and for all time. All the elect have the same justification. There are no degrees, no one is more justified than another. All the elect are perfectly righteous before God by the imputed righteousness of Christ. The justification of a sinner cannot be revoked and every sinner who exercises the gift of faith is assured of salvation by the declared will of God.
Here are two final points about justification. Justification does not take sin out of the believer. The elect are free from sin in that they are free from the condemnation for sin - Christ having borne their sin and carried their sorrow. Nor does justification discourage the performance of good works. The elect are created in Christ Jesus unto good works (Ephesians 2:10). On the contrary, justification enables the child of God to deny ungodliness and live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world to the glory of God, their Saviour (Titus 2:12).

Peter Meney is editor of New Focus Magazine New Focus is a bi-monthly periodical committed to the doctrines of sovereign grace

US Contact: mailto:[email protected]
UK Contact: mailto:p[email protected]
Web: http://www.go-newfocus.co.uk/

Justification & Faith

You say, that we must believe in Christ before we shall receive remission of sin. Reply: I grant it, it's one thing for God to remit sin, and another thing for us to receive it; remission of sin is the Gift of God; now a Gift maybe bestowed upon a person long before he receives it; a Legacy may be given upon will, and when the Testator is dead the will is of force, the gift is his, yet he may not know of it, nor receive it till sometime after. The Atonement was made by the death of Christ, “For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life;” {Rom.5:10;} but we receive it not till we believe, “and not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.” {vs.11} Justification is sometimes held forth before Faith, “him that justifieth the ungodly.” {Rom.4:5} An Ungodly Person and a Believer are two things; he justifieth the Elect, {Rom.8:33,} and they are more in number than Believers. It is sometimes held forth by Faith; now when Justification is held forth antecedent unto Faith, and also by Faith, it must be taken in a different acceptation. As it's strictly and properly considered a discharge from guilt, and a title unto Life and Glory, so it consists in the Imputation of Righteousness, not in the Application thereof. {Rom.4:6,7,8} “The free gift came upon all men unto justification of life;” {Rom.5:18;} that is, all men that stand related to the Second Adam; and how did it come on them? Why together and at once, even as Condemnation came on all Men together and at once; but as Justification is considered in point of Acceptation, and Termination in our own Consciences, so it is by Faith; “even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the Faith of Christ.” {Gal.2:16} In this sense Faith hath that hand in our Justification that no other Grace hath; for it is the nature of Faith to empty the soul of all self-righteousness, of everything of our own, and to carry the Soul to Christ, to receive all from him; “and be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.” {Phil.3:9} Faith never pleads good Works performed by us as the condition, and so challenges remission upon it, as the effect of such performance. Anonymous “Truth Vindicated,” London, 1695.

Well why didn't you tell us that from the start? That changes everything!

You know of course it shouldn't. You know BF what the noble Bereans would say to such a statement. You know they'd examine the scriptures themselves.
Its one thing to know scripture and defend it and its an entirely different thing to reference secondary sources as ones defense. Thats not being a good Berean.

Eternal Justification in Christ

“Every good gift, and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights.” Now be it observed, that everything that comes from God, must have a time, and a beginning; but as they are in God himself; that is, in his perfect will, or immutable counsel, they are absolutely eternal. For whatever blessing is brought forth in time, is according to his good pleasure, which he hath purposed in himself. “According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” And therefore, because all the Council of God is absolutely irreversible; the things that are spoken of, are {in accordance with Divine Immutability} as if they were already done; by Him who “calleth those things which be not as though they were.” Yet it may be the Lord may speak of those things which are so fixed in his counsel, with an IF; as if they were precarious, or contingent; but then it is to those souls who are not yet called by his grace; so that the blessings still remain uncertain as to themselves, “although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.” Now Justification must be one of those works, that were finished from the beginning of the creation; forasmuch as Christ is called, “a Lamb without blemish and without spot; who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world;” and again, “the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.” These are one and the self-same thing. For in that he is said to be ordained, before the foundation of the world; this ordination was in God himself, as firm as the Eternal Throne; no more to be frustrated than if this had already been accomplished in time. And whereas Christ is said to be slain from the foundation of the world; it could be no other than in the Divine Purpose; and the same purpose, in which Christ was ordained to be slain, the end of his death must also be ordained; that is, the blotting out of the sins of his people, and the justification of their persons in Himself. {Christ appears as a lamb that has been slain, as an offering and sacrifice to God, for a sweet smelling savor, and gives peace by his blood, both to the Old and New Testament churches. Is.53:10-12, I Pet.3:18, Eph.2:14. For notwithstanding he was not actually slain in person, during the former administration, yet he was in the immutable counsel of God from the foundation of the world, a lamb slain. Otherwise it had been impossible for the former children to have enjoyed remission of sins, justification, peace with God, or salvation. Zech.9:11, Rom.5:9, Col.1:20, Heb.9:22. For no man ever did come to the Father but by him, or obtain redemption and forgiveness of sins, but by his blood. And now he appears perfectly accomplished with power and wisdom, to perform every work appointed him of his Father; and to open all the counsel of his will to his church.} The Son of God could not be slain for anything but for our sins; he could not be slain for our sins, but his death must be a sufficient propitiation, to take away our sins; and our sins could not be taken away, but we must be acquitted, and justified from them. “Now, where remission of these are, there is no more offering for sin;” so that, from whatever date, and in whatever light Christ was the Lamb slain; from that same date and in that same light, sin must be laid upon him; and in whatever sense sin was imputed to him, in the same sense it was taken away by him; and in whatever sense he made an end of sins; in the same sense he brought in Everlasting Righteousness. The bosom of the Father is the infinite ocean of blessedness, from whence all the springs of life proceed, and every work stands in ample perfection, from everlasting to everlasting. All the fullness that is in Christ, all the works performed by Christ for his Church, and all the works performed by his Spirit in his Church, and all the glory and felicity which the saints shall enjoy in the world to come; are no other than the openings and outgoings of the infinite, eternal, immutable love of the Father. “For I proceeded forth, and came from God.” John Johnson {Riches of Gospel Grace, 1776}

Justification before God is objective being placed on the elect sinners account based solely upon the Suretyship obedience of Jesus Christ, then following that justification becomes subjective by God given faith before the born again sinners conscience. Its by God given faith the sinner comes into realization of their objective justification.

Back
Top Bottom