In Calvinism... where is the love?

I'm glad you found it, maybe we should add some more to it what do you think?
I say we go for it.

What turns me off about Calvinism is God’s freedom to save or damn whoever he wishes for no other reason than that he sovereignly chooses to do so is an essential part of what makes him God. That doesn't seem like a god of love to me. As it goes against God's word about how he feels about us in John 3:16.

I say we go for it.

What turns me off about Calvinism is God’s freedom to save or damn whoever he wishes for no other reason than that he sovereignly chooses to do so is an essential part of what makes him God. That doesn't seem like a god of love to me. As it goes against God's word about how he feels about us in John 3:16.
I can honestly say I still haven't found the love in Calvinism.

I can honestly say I still haven't found the love in Calvinism.
Calvinist insists that God chooses to save some and to damn others simply because he wills to do so. Calvinist glory in the power of God and the prerogative of a sovereign will to do as he pleases. For them What's Love Got to Do with It?

Calvinist insists that God chooses to save some and to damn others simply because he wills to do so. Calvinist glory in the power of God and the prerogative of a sovereign will to do as he pleases. For them What's Love Got to Do with It?
And they live in a universe where they can see always played out in front of them natural loving relationships are considered to be noble if they're played out with LOVE being a factor,

eg. A person wanting a spouse, doesn't force the other to be in relationship with them.....It's. "Will you marry me" and not "You're going to marry me!"

eg. The Father of the Prodigal Son didn't say, "You're going to stay in relationship with me whether you like it or not" To enforce such in his way of thinking would have been tyrannical and LOVE meant something to him! And who is the Father in the Prodigal Son a type of? GOD!

I agree the father led the Prodigal Son go do his thing.

I think the whole point of the Parable of the Wayward Son was the fact that the relationship between the father and son was never broken. Even though the prodigal repeatedly disrespected and humiliated his father. When he came to his senses and realized that he would be better off being a slave in his father's house and went home, His father who loved him the whole time he was astray ran out to meet him. Put the really cool robe on him and had a feast.

Pops said "This son of mine was dead, but has now come back to life. He was lost and has now been found." And they began to celebrate."

I agree with you the father let him go do his thing but he never stopped loving him. Had the Father stopped loving him, he would have stayed dead.

I'm not trying to argue with you that's just the way I see it.

Makes you wonder where somebody could come up with that kind of an idea.

It just seems like such a harsh way to think about God. But I'm sure you have your reasons for believing the way you do from your Bible reading.

It can be harsh. But that's where faith comes in. I pray for people. I don't know if God will save them or not, but I know it's above my pay grade. I know God is infinitely more wise and knowing than I am. So I have faith that whatever He does, whether I like it or not, is the right thing to do.

It can be harsh. But that's where faith comes in. I pray for people. I don't know if God will save them or not, but I know it's above my pay grade. I know God is infinitely more wise and knowing than I am. So I have faith that whatever He does, whether I like it or not, is the right thing to do.
I'd like to know what is in your pay grade and what isn't. Everyone agrees that God does as He pleases. At other times you insist that God does certain things. Why not now?

Trees must be healthy to produce good-quality fruit. Weak or diseased trees produce either poor-quality fruit or no fruit at all. It is vital to keep trees free from insects and diseases.

Thank God Jesus makes us whole, healthy and Fruit Bearing.

Unfortunately, Calvinists sometimes seem to have a blind spot for the love of God. Consider this question from The Shorter Catechism, which is an abbreviated version of The Westminster Confession of Faith, a classic Calvinist statement of faith. The Catechism asks this most fundamental theological question: “What is God?”

Here is the answer that is given: “God is a Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in his being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth.”

Do you notice anything missing from this definition? Where is the love? The definition mentions God’s power, his wisdom, and his justice, along with other attributes, but amazingly enough it leaves out perhaps the most beautiful definition of God in the entire Bible: “God is love”. 1 John 4:8,16

Calvinist theologian Arthur W. Pink: “When we say that God is sovereign in the exercise of His love, we mean that He loves whom he chooses. God does not love everybody . . . .”

How does that work? The bad news is not really well. Is it not the very heart of the gospel that God loves everyone? Is that not the good news that we joyfully share with all persons? “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life”. John 3:16

In the Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin there is not one time in this book does Calvin ever quote “God is love.” Hard to believe that in is massive book that is 1,521 pages long and that discusses thousands of biblical texts and discusses God’s nature extensively, Calvin never one time cited 1 John 4:8 or 1 John 4:16. Not even once! This is a stunning omission.

I'm still looking for the love in Calvinism.
My favorite thread.

And they live in a universe where they can see always played out in front of them natural loving relationships are considered to be noble if they're played out with LOVE being a factor,

eg. A person wanting a spouse, doesn't force the other to be in relationship with them.....It's. "Will you marry me" and not "You're going to marry me!"

eg. The Father of the Prodigal Son didn't say, "You're going to stay in relationship with me whether you like it or not" To enforce such in his way of thinking would have been tyrannical and LOVE meant something to him! And who is the Father in the Prodigal Son a type of? GOD!
That's really a good post after rereading it a few times something hit me. What the prodigal did was the most disrespectful thing that he could possibly do short of murdering his pops. He probably made him a laughing stock in front of all his father's friends and dishonored the family. The amazing thing is when it returned his father girded up his loins and ran out to meet him with open arms which was unheard of in that culture. Then got him all cleaned up and dressed up for the party. That does sound a lot like God.

That's not the whole story then you got the other brother. The other brother to me sounds like theologians that want to explain God in their own terms instead of who he really is. A God of love and forgiveness.

That's really a good post after rereading it a few times something hit me. What the prodigal did was the most disrespectful thing that he could possibly do short of murdering his pops. He probably made him a laughing stock in front of all his father's friends and dishonored the family. The amazing thing is when it returned his father girded up his loins and ran out to meet him with open arms which was unheard of in that culture. Then got him all cleaned up and dressed up for the party. That does sound a lot like God.

That's not the whole story then you got the other brother. The other brother to me sounds like theologians that want to explain God in their own terms instead of who he really is. A God of love and forgiveness.
The Parable of the Prodigal Son is found in Luke chapter 15, verses 11-32. The main character in the parable, the forgiving father, whose character remains constant throughout the story, is a picture of God.

In telling the story, Jesus identifies Himself with God in His loving attitude to the lost. The younger son symbolizes the lost (the tax collectors and sinners of that day, Luke 15:1), and the elder brother represents the self-righteous (the Pharisees and teachers of the law of that day, Luke 15:2).

love under that theology is double speak and contradicts scripture. since we know God is love and Jesus is God He tells us and shows us what His universal love looks like and acts like as God Incarnate. He loves those who hated Him without a cause, He died for them, He prayed for them, He said we are to love our enemies because He loved and died for His enemies. Love not hate is the hallmark of a Christian. Its the opposite in calvins theology- he persecuted and killed his enemies. Calvin demonstrated hate not love. And man will act out their idea's about God in their life. Think of the militant Islamists. Their god is a vengeful and hateful god of all those who are not muslims. Ones view of God comes out in how they live and treat others who are different from them.
Something Calvin left out of his institutes that God is love. That’s very telling and deliberate.

Back
Top Bottom