How to tell when someone is speaking by the Spirit of God

civic

The number one test to distinguish truth for error and the Spirit of God from that of the spirit of antichrist is the confession of our divine Lord Jesus Christ. Every spirit that confesses Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God. There is one thing the spirit of antichrist will deny and that is they will deny He is God in the flesh- that He is fully God and fully man. They will deny God in human flesh. They will always deny the Incarnation which was permanent. When a person affirms that Jesus Christ is God in flesh that equates to divine truth. Every spirit that confesses meaning to continually confess or agrees with saying the same thing as John declares in his writings is from God. This is the person who is taught by the Spirit of God according to John. The first test that you want to have for any teacher is their Christology, check out what they say about Christ. This becomes a litmus test that is very easy to spot among the false teachers in the N.T. times which we can apply today. If you have somebody who denies the deity of Christ you have a clear indication their teaching comes from the spirit of antichrist.

If we go back to the beginning of 1 John, we read that which we he beheld, and actually touched concerning the Word of life. That is a term expressing the very deity of Christ. Christ emanates from God as His living Word. He was with the Father in the beginning in 1:2. Jesus was One with the Father sharing the same essence with the Father in heaven with Him before the foundation of the world. John says He was manifested to us. John's language then starts out with the fact that Jesus Christ emanates from God as the very living Word of God. Jesus is the living Word of God,the One John says that was from the beginning that we heard, we saw and we touched. Jesus the Word of life was the eternal One who was with the Father prior to His Incarnation and was then manifested to us in the flesh that we could see and hear and touch according to John. Therefore, we can clearly see Jesus is the very Word of God Incarnate. He is the eternal life who became flesh. The Word who was with God, the Word who was God, was the One who John says was manifested to us. This is how we can tell the spirit of truth from the spirit of antichrist. Can you confess Jesus is God Incarnate?

1 John 4:2
By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God;

2 John 7
For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist.

Erchomenon the present participle in 2 John 7

Alford
- the present tense is timeless(pg 274 RNTC on 2 John)

Brooke- the Incarnation is not only an event in history, it is an abiding truth(pg 274 RNTC on 2 John)

Stott- the two natures manhood and Godhood were united already at His birth, never to be divided. In 1 John 4:2 and here in 2 John 7 emphasizes this permanent union of the natures in the One Person ( TNTC pages 209-210) He who denies the Incarnation is not just a deceiver and an antichrist but “the deceiver and the antichrist”. There is in this heresy a double affront: it opposes Christ and deceives men.(stott TNCT page 210)

Marshall- the use of the present and perfect tenses becomes significant if the point is that Jesus Christ had come and still existed “in flesh”. For him(John) it was axiomatic that there had been a true Incarnation, that the word became flesh and remained flesh. It is a point that receives much stress in 1 John 2:18-28;4:1-6;5:5-8. (NICNT pages 70-71)

Smalley- the present tense emphasizes the permanent union of the human and Divine natures in Jesus. Gods self disclosure in Jesus took place at a particular moment in history , but it has continuing effects in the present and into the future(Word Biblical Commentary page 317)

Nicoll- the continuous manifestation of the Incarnate Christ(Expositors Greek Testament Volume 5 page 202)

Akin- Much has been made of the fact that John uses the present tense in this Christological confession. Literally the verse reads, “Jesus Christ coming in flesh.” “Coming” is a present active participle. This stands out in remarkable contrast to the affirmation of 1 John 4:2, where the text states that “Jesus Christ has [emphasis mine] come in the flesh.” There the perfect active participle is used. The key, it seems, is to discover what John is affirming. Here in 2 John the emphasis falls on the abiding reality of the incarnation. First John 4:2 teaches that the Christ, the Father’s Son (v. 3), has come in the flesh. Second John affirms that the wedding of deity and humanity has an abiding reality (cf. 1 Tim 2:5). The ontological and essential nature of the incarnation that would receive eloquent expression one thousand years later in the writing of St. Anselm (1033–1109) in his classic Cur Deus Homo is already present in seed form in the tiny and neglected letter of 2 John.

Lenski- In 1 John 4:2 we have ἐν σαρκὶ ἐληλυθότα, the perfect participle, “as having come in flesh” (incarnate, John 1:14); here we have ἐρχόμενον ἐν σαρκί, “as coming in flesh,” although the participle is present in form it is really timeless.of Christ as "still being manifested." See the note at 1 John 3:5. In 1 John 4:2 we have the manifestation treated as a past fact by the perfect tense, ‎eleeluthota ‎"has come

Robertson- That Jesus Christ cometh in the flesh Ieesoun ‎‎Christon ‎‎erchomenon ‎‎en ‎‎sarki‎. "Jesus Christ coming in the flesh." Present middle participle of ‎erchomai treating the Incarnation as a continuing fact which the Docetic Gnostics flatly denied. In 1 John 4:2 we have ‎eleeluthota ‎(perfect active participle) in this same construction with ‎homologeoo‎, because there the reference is to the definite historical fact of the Incarnation.

The Greek scholars completely agree with me. The evidence is overwhelmingly in favor with the OP from the scholars I quoted and lexical definition.

John was addressing specific Gnostic doctrines coming into the church.

The "overwhelming evidence" is that you are eisegeting to kingdom come with some weird over-literal approach that completely ignores the context.

Have fun with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really think someone literally cannot say "Jesus Christ came in the flesh" and be a deceiver?

That's honestly extremely naive.
Reread it the spirit of antichrist refuses to confess Jesus is God who came in the flesh and is still in the flesh. It a denial of the Incarnation as a past fact and a present and ongoing reality.

Completely disagree.

I've seen absolute wolves say all the right doctrines.

They have learned to do that. For they now know how they can be detected.

I have seen Kenneth Copeland use the line .."Jesus is LORD!" After presenting an entire demonic service.

That is why Jesus warned.....

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only
the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day,
‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and
in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you.
Away from me, you evildoers!’
Matthew 7:21-23

They have learned to do that. For they now know how they can be detected.

I have seen Kenneth Copeland use the line .."Jesus is LORD!" After presenting an entire demonic service.

That is why Jesus warned.....

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only
the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day,
‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and
in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you.
Away from me, you evildoers!’
Matthew 7:21-23

Yes saying Jesus is Lord and really believing He is Lord ( YHWH ) and submitting to His Lordship and rule over you are two completely different things.

Can you give us a for example? Heretics will always slip up at one critical point or another.

Well, currently we can't always know how is compromised, but we've seen solid preachers fall away.

Ravi Zacharias was someone I really looked up to, and I have read the stories of older preachers who have fallen away but would clearly say all the right doctrines.

It's a very shallow view of the text to think it means saying the right doctrines guarantees genuineness.

Well, currently we can't always know how is compromised, but we've seen solid preachers fall away.

Ravi Zacharias was someone I really looked up to, and I have read the stories of older preachers who have fallen away but would clearly say all the right doctrines.

It's a very shallow view of the text to think it means saying the right doctrines guarantees genuineness.
In what way was Zacharias a heretic in his doctrines?

What doctrine did he "fall away" from?
Obeying Christ to be faithful to your wife. Not habitually committing adultery for many years. Also using funds inappropriately with no accountability. There are many things that disqualifies him as a pastor or spiritual leader. And on top of all that covering it up and lying. I’m sorry but those in leadership are held by God to a higher standard in many places in the NT. We have not d er discussed this here but I did on the old forum and the Calvinists were in an uproar defending him.

One needs to be soberminded about this. People think of solid preachers but what does that mean. How solid are any of us or can we be. I think it can be measured by how solid one keeps their daily fellowship with the Lord in the Spirit each day. Because one is on a high level of fellowship doesn't mean they retain that, keep that. It's a daily thing.

You can hear a good preacher with a good reputation for being a Christian leader. What did they do yesterday and today in their prayer life that in being in the presence of God. And sometimes we look at the sin one has committed. Overindulgence of anything.....I believe the Lord told me once you slip into this sin or that....then you ask me to forgive you and you feel bad.

I will forgive and cleanse but the sin you're focused on .....the real sin is not being full of spiritual strength. If we let up on that well people will be reading about us in the papers, not getting the real reason for failure was not having God's daily presence manifested in ones life. You get that and retain it you'll be surprised how much of the sins of the flesh go by the way side.....not by human strength but you have the empowerment in you to overcome.

The number one test to distinguish truth for error and the Spirit of God from that of the spirit of antichrist is the confession of our divine Lord Jesus Christ. Every spirit that confesses Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God. There is one thing the spirit of antichrist will deny and that is they will deny He is God in the flesh- that He is fully God and fully man.

I know I am bucking centuries of religious philosophy from the RCC scholars, and her many daughters.

But the Jesus of the Bible Himself said;

Matt. 19: 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

John 14: 28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

John 17: 3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

I understand the need to add ""Fully God", because of the high days this world's religions have created to worship this image of "Fully God" in the likeness of a handsome long-haired man. And the need to justify rejecting the Lord "of the Bible's" Sabbaths and Feasts, in order to promote their image, and the ancient religious traditions of this world that have been attached to it. A world we were both born into.

For me, to deny that the "Rock of Israel" came to earth as a mortal man like you and I, but overcame because HE was also "Fully God", is what John is speaking to. There are many, "who come in His Name" who preach that God created instruction in righteousness that is impossible for a mere man to walk in, even though God told them it wasn't. Therefore, the only way Jesus could walk in them was to access God power that no other human has ever possessed.

For me, and clearly I am a nobody, but from my study of Scriptures alone, apart from any other religious influence or business or philosopher, I don't think the Scriptures support the teaching that the Christ didn't come in the Flesh, but also came as "Fully God".

Great post though, and certainly something to think about.

Time line, please.

When did Jesus say those words?
Before, or after the Cross and resurrection?

Time line, please.

When did Jesus say those words?
Before, or after the Cross and resurrection?
I’m not sure His view of His God and my God changed before He was a man, or during the time of His Flesh when He prayed earnestly to the God who could save Him from death, or after this same Father raised Him from the dead.

A “timeline” pertains to the realm of “time”. Not Sure the Christ “of the Bible” had a timeline, regarding how He felt toward His Father who sent Him.

I’m not sure His view of His God and my God changed before He was a man, or during the time of His Flesh when He prayed earnestly to the God who could save Him from death, or after this same Father raised Him from the dead.

A “timeline” pertains to the realm of “time”. Not Sure the Christ “of the Bible” had a timeline, regarding how He felt toward His Father who sent Him.
The timeline makes all the difference... If it was said before the Cross?
Then Jesus would have been speaking from a perspective as described below.
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross! Philippians 2:6-8​

Do you understand that?
He had to make Himself to become as a man,
and to stop being equal to God.
To become as a man. Thus having the Father to be His God!
He became as one of us (but without sin).

He had to make Himself be as a man.
If he did not?
He could have not qualified to die on the Cross as a man in our place!

He succeeded in doing such a perfect job of it? Making Himself to become as a man?

It even fools you!

Timeline!

After He was resurrected? He no longer needed to remain as a man to die in our place.
So He returned to Heaven, and the Father restored Him to full powers of Deity as He had before.

But, this time?
With a big difference.
This time?
He was returned to being as God but..... With a body!
A glorious everlasting body of Heaven!
A body like you and I will have given us in the Resurrection!

For in Him the whole fullness of Deity (the Godhead) continues to dwell
in bodily form [giving complete expression of the divine nature]." Colossians 2:9​

That was why Jesus (knowing full well who He really was) spoke the following words..

"I and the Father are one.”
Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them,
“I have shown you many good works from the Father.
For which of these do you stone me?”
“We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied,
“but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.” John 10:30-33​

All what Jesus proclaimed was needing to be clarified after Jesus ascended and having been glorified.

Yes! Its supposed to be confusing.

The confusion is intended be a part our motivation. Motivated to keep growing in grace and knowledge until we
obtain enough doctrine to think with, to be able to think it through clearly with our knowledge of the Word of God!
Knowledge being needed to enter into becoming mature in Christ.

The Father is the Father.
And: The Father is God.!
Correct!
But, no one can see God! (John 1:18)

Now in Heaven.. the Son is the Father being expressed to us in a manner that we as humans can connect with and relate to.
For the Father is being expressed by means of the Son's "humanity."
His humanity which is being fully enabled to the fullest extent of Deity a Soul can have given...
Given for forever by God making Himself knowable to men.

Someone eventually has got to understand it!
And, if God is God? And, He is! Some of us will!

grace and peace ................

Back
Top Bottom