Glory to the Son

But yet, the Father glorifies the Son.
conclusion:When Jesus came to earth He laid aside or emptied Himself of something. There are many misconceptions at to what He set aside. It was not His Deity. Jesus could not empty Himself of His Deity - He could not stop being God. He was always God the Son. He could not exchange His Deity for His humanity. Neither did He set aside only some of His divine attributes and keep others. In addition, Jesus always knew He was God and possessed these divine attributes
Hebrews 2:5 "For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak." Hebrews 2:6 "But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him?" Hebrews 2:7 "Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:" Hebrews 2:8 "Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him." Hebrews 2:9 "But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man."

Philippians 2:6 "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:" Philippians 2:7 "But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:" Philippians 2:8 "And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."

did he not make himself empty as the Ordinal Last? he is the same one, is he not in the ECHAD?

101G.

Good afternoon, @Fred, @Grace ambassador and friends all

I will be including the biblical references for each bullet at the bottom of the post.
  1. Solomon's prayer of dedication that Fred has kindly quoted let us know that, when we pray, God forgives, rewards or saves from peril according to the sincerity He sees in our hearts, "for only You know the hearts of the sons of men"
  2. This is in line with what Jesus' teaching that it is the Father who sees in secret into our hearts and accepts/rejects our actions accordingly
  3. Jesus specifies we pray and must pray to the Father across all four gospels. In one of these references, Jesus teaches how to pray in response to a specific request from his disciples.
  4. The verse that Fred quotes on John14.14 is not translated as "If you ask Me" but as "If you ask" or "If you ask in my name" in numerous versions. You can check these translations here, in the Biblegateway search engine. "If you ask Me", as Fred has quoted, would not make sense with all other verses, including those in the Gospel of John, in which we are requested to ask the Father in the name of Jesus (eg John 13:23, 13;26 and 15:16)

[1]
If any man sins against his neighbor, and an oath be laid upon him to cause him to swear, and the oath comes before Your altar in this house, 32 then may You hear in heaven and act and judge Your servants, condemning the wicked, bringing his way on his own head, and justifying the righteous, giving him according to his righteousness.
33 “When Your people Israel are defeated by their enemies, because they have sinned against You, and they turn back to You and call upon Your name and pray and make supplication to You in this house, 34 then may You hear in heaven and forgive the sin of Your people Israel and bring them again to the land which You gave to their fathers.
35 “When heaven is shut up, and there is no rain, because they have sinned against You, if they pray toward this place and call upon Your name and turn from their sin when You afflict them, 36 then may You hear in heaven and forgive the sin of Your servants and Your people Israel, that You may teach them the good way in which they should walk and give rain upon Your land which You have given to Your people as an inheritance.
37 “When there is famine in the land, if there is plague, blight, mildew, locust, or grasshopper; if their enemy besieges them in the land of their cities; whatever plague, whatever sickness there is; 38 whatever prayer, whatever supplication is made by anyone, or by all Your people Israel, each knowing the affliction of his own heart, and spreading his hands toward this house; 39 then hear in heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive, and act, and render to everyone according to all his ways, whose hearts You know—for only You know the hearts of the sons of men— 40 so that they may fear You all the days that they live in the land that You gave to our fathers. (1 King 8:31-40)
[2]
And your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly. (Mat 6:4)
[3]
  1. Mark 11:25 "And when you stand praying, forgive if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven may also forgive you your sins."
  2. Matthew 6:6,8,9 "But you, when you pray, enter your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 7 But when you pray, do not use vain repetitions, as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their much speaking. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what things you have need of before you ask Him. “Therefore pray in this manner: Our Father who is in heaven..."
    hallowed be Your name.
  3. Matthew 7:11 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! "
  4. Matthew 18:19 "Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by My Father who is in heaven".
  5. Luke 11:2 "He was praying in a certain place, and when He ceased, one of His disciples said to Him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. He said to them, “When you pray, say: Our Father, who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name..."
  6. John 15:16 "...that the Father may give you whatever you ask Him in My name"
  7. John 16:23,26 "On that day you will ask Me nothing. Truly, truly I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give it to you"

[4]

Good afternoon, @Fred, @Grace ambassador and friends all

I will be including the biblical references for each bullet at the bottom of the post.
  1. Solomon's prayer of dedication that Fred has kindly quoted let us know that, when we pray, God forgives, rewards or saves from peril according to the sincerity He sees in our hearts, "for only You know the hearts of the sons of men"
  2. This is in line with what Jesus' teaching that it is the Father who sees in secret into our hearts and accepts/rejects our actions accordingly

Since the Lord Jesus fully knows the hearts of all people demonstrates He is God.

a. Only God fully knows the hearts of all people.
b. The Lord Jesus fully knows the hearts of all people.
c. Therefore, Jesus is God.

1. Jesus specifies we pray and must pray to the Father across all four gospels. In one of these references, Jesus teaches how to pray in response to a specific request from his disciples.
  2. The verse that Fred quotes on John14.14 is not translated as "If you ask Me" but as "If you ask" or "If you ask in my name" in numerous versions.

John Schoenheit:
“ask me.” The manuscript evidence supports the word “me” being in the original text. Modern textual scholars have concluded that some of the scribes copying the Greek text either thought that the wording, “ask me anything in my name” seemed strange, or they wanted to avoid what they thought was a contradiction to John 16:23, so they omitted the word “me” from the manuscripts they were copying (but in a couple of manuscripts scribes changed “me” to “the Father”). This explains why “me” is not in the King James Version—the manuscripts used in making the King James did not have the “me.” However, the weight of the manuscript evidence supports the word “me” being original, which is why almost all modern versions include it.

Very strong evidence that the word “me” is in the original text is that we can see from Acts and the Epistles that the early Christians did indeed ask Jesus for things, which is what the phrase “call upon the name of the Lord Jesus” refers to (1 Cor. 1:2).
https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/comm/John/14/nav14

John Schoenheit is a Unitarian.

1. You can check these translations here, in the Biblegateway search engine. "If you ask Me", as Fred has quoted, would not make sense with all other verses, including those in the Gospel of John, in which we are requested to ask the Father in the name of Jesus (eg John 13:23, 13;26 and 15:16)

It makes perfect sense in that both the Father and Son are the proper recipient of prayer.

Since the Lord Jesus fully knows the hearts of all people demonstrates He is God.

a. Only God fully knows the hearts of all people.
b. The Lord Jesus fully knows the hearts of all people.
c. Therefore, Jesus is God.
Dear Fred and @civic. Dear all:

This syllogism is not correct, because the meaning of “knows the hearts of all people” for premise B is different than for premise A.
Jesus was not All-Knowing. He never claimed that. He could detect well enough the intentions and needs of people coming to Him, so that He could avoid the traps of his enemies and meet the needs of the afflicted. This is very different from knowing what all humans are thinking or feeling right now. Jesus only knew what the Father allowed Him to know. That is why He didn’t know the time of his Return.

More importantly, all power Jesus needed to act on behalf of God had been GIVEN, as Jesus Himself explained over and over… especially in the Gospel of John!

Fred’s syllogism could have dozen variants based on miraculous powers, such as
  • Only God can forgive sins
  • Jesus forgave sins
  • Therefore, Jesus was God.
All those syllogisms would suffer from the same problem: God acts through agents, and divine powers are exercised, according to the context, by Jesus, angels, prophets, disciples and believers.
One good example is the case of Annanias and Sapphira, where Peter showed to have the power to look into the hearts of people. Was Peter then a proper recipient of prayer? Was Peter God?

John Schoenheit:
Modern textual scholars have concluded that some of the scribes copying the Greek text either thought that the wording, “ask me anything in my name” seemed strange, or they wanted to avoid what they thought was a contradiction to John 16:23, so they omitted the word “me” from the manuscripts they were copying (but in a couple of manuscripts scribes changed “me” to “the Father”). This explains why “me” is not in the King James Version—the manuscripts used in making the King James did not have the “me.”
Those modern scholars did the right thing, as we know sacred texts have been manipulated. This would not be the first time such manipulation is made to favor the Trinity.
If all other verses tell us to ask the Father in the name of Jesus, one single verse saying “Ask me in my name” does not make sense. Think: Why would you ask Jesus something on his own name?
The whole point of using the name of another person to ask something to an authority is to leverage on the special status that the person whose name we are using enjoys before the eyes of the authority.
Living in Mexico all my life, perhaps I am more acquainted with this concept: we call it “to get a lever” (“tener palanca”).

It makes perfect sense in that both the Father and Son are the proper recipient of prayer.
I don’t know any Trinitarian who prays to the Holy Spirit, although they formally believe it to be a Person, to be All-Knowing and therefore a “proper recipient of prayer”.

Last edited:
This syllogism is not correct, because the meaning of “knows the hearts of all people” for premise B is different than for premise A.

No, it isn't. Both have to do with fully knowing the hearts of all people.
That's the same thing.

One good example is the case of Annanias and Sapphira, where Peter showed to have the power to look into the hearts of people. Was Peter then a proper recipient of prayer? Was Peter God?

Peter as well as the prophets were able to know certain things in the hearts of people (cf. 1 Kings 14:5; 2 Kings 6:12; 8:11 Acts 5:3-5). Although they had more insight than others, they were never said to be able to know the totality of the hearts of all people, let alone just one of them (2 Kings 4:27). Only God has this knowledge.

Think: Why would you ask Jesus something on his own name?

Why would you Think: Because Jesus said so.

The whole point of using the name of another person to ask something to an authority is to leverage on the special status that the person whose name we are using enjoys before the eyes of the authority.

In terms of human relations this might be so.

However, asking Jesus (John 14:14) corresponds with what He affirmed in John 5:23. One of the ways the Lord Jesus honored the Father (John 8:49) was by praying to Him (Matthew 11:25). Since the Father is honored by our prayers to Him, so too is the Son honored by our prayers to Him.

If a person claims they honor the Father but refuses to pray to Him, then they are not really honoring the Father. In the same way, if a person claims they honor the Lord Jesus but refuses to pray to Him then they are not really honoring the Lord Jesus.

John 5:23
So that all will honor the Son even as they honor the Father.
He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

Why would you Think: Because Jesus said so.

Well, if you ask me, I don't think your answer is not a rational answer.
It is not the way to interpret the Bible when we find a difficult verse in the study of any doctrine.
It is not the way our readers should approach our debates.

You say "Because Jesus said so". I think it is more likely that Jesus did NOT say so.

Is it rational to ask Jesus something in his own name? Or is it rational to ask The Father in the name of Jesus?
Is it more rational to think that one single verse is deviating from the other four written by the same evangelist, or that such single verse was mistranslated manipulated or misinterpreted?

Ockham's razor, please.

In terms of human relations this might be so.

The Gospel is presented in terms of human relations. We can't think in terms of divine relations.
So anything we can debate on the Bible, would be using human examples, human analogies, human language and contexts.

For example, let's take the analogy of an advocate or intercessor.

Jesus is presented as our advocate before God.
Therefore He is able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, because He at all times lives to make intercession for them.(Hebrews 7:25)

This God is presented as one specific Person, "The Father".
My little children, I am writing these things to you, so that you do not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous One. (1 John 2:1)

If you are praying to Jesus to intercede for your sins, because He is an "appropriate recipient of prayer", that's a good thing.
Just bear in mind that He is the advocate praying to God. It is not the other way around.
The Father will give Jesus the power to search into your heart and know if you are sincere. It is the Father the source of such power.

I don’t know any Trinitarian who prays to the Holy Spirit, although they formally believe it to be a Person, to be All-Knowing and therefore a “proper recipient of prayer”.
Precious friend:

You have just met one. Instead of lying to Him, like Ananias did (Acts 5:1-5 AV), why can I not rather, Be Grateful:

"Praying to and thanking Him (Who 'Has A Mind'), Believing Scripture, For What He Does For me"?:

1 & 2) "Likewise The Spirit Also Helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we
ought: but The Spirit Itself Maketh Intercession For us with groanings which cannot be uttered.​
And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is The Mind Of The Spirit, because He Maketh
Intercession for the saints According to The Will of God." (Romans 8:26-27 AV)​
3) "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which​
The Holy Ghost Teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual." (1 Corinthians 2:13 AV)​

Amen.

Learned this From The Blessed Teacher:

If a person claims they honor the Father but refuses to pray to Him, then they are not really honoring the Father. In the same way, if a person claims they honor the Lord Jesus but refuses to pray to Him then they are not really honoring the Lord Jesus.

John 5:23
So that all will honor the Son even as they honor the Father.
He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

Fred, you are now making up a whole new condition to be considered disciple of Jesus.
If I understand you correctly, millions of Christians who have never prayed to Jesus and will never pray to Jesus, because they are convinced they should pray to the Father, are not honoring Jesus and therefore not honoring the Father who sent Him.

I would like to raise an alert to our readers. This time I must be very firm in presenting your argument not only as false, but dangerous as well.
Any time any Forum member brings to the table a new requirement to be considered "true follower of Christ", that person will call my attention immediately. The risk is that you cause division among your own brethren, on the basis of a fallacy.

Honoring Christ means doing what he commanded us to do: repent, be born again, love each other, live as citizens of the Kingdom.
Jesus never commanded us to pray to him. Jesus does not need our verbal or intellectual recognition, but the kind of recognition that is expressed through deeds (Luke 6:46-48)

Peter as well as the prophets were able to know certain things in the hearts of people (cf. 1 Kings 14:5; 2 Kings 6:12; 8:11 Acts 5:3-5). Although they had more insight than others, they were never said to be able to know the totality of the hearts of all people, let alone just one of them (2 Kings 4:27). Only God has this knowledge.
The story of Annanias and Sapphire was recorded so that we know that God knows all hearts and can exercise that power through his messengers (Peter, in this case) at any time, with any person.
So, in writing the episode, Luke didn't want his readers to understand that Peter could look into the hearts of only married couples or only land owners. Luke wanted them to understand that Peter could look into the heart of any man who approached him, because he had the Holy Spirit.
Since we can't tell if I am going to be one of those "any man", in practice I must understand it as "all men".

Same with Jesus. The authors of the gospels wanted us to understand that the Spirit of God was with Jesus and enabled him to give commands to the storm and the winds, to the demons, forgive sins and look into the hearts of all men. All these marvels spoke in favor of Jesus' credentials as being sent by God, so that we would follow him.

Last edited:
Precious friend:

You have just met one. Instead of lying to Him, like Ananias did (Acts 5:1-5 AV), why can I not rather, Be Grateful:

"Praying to and thanking Him (Who 'Has A Mind'), Believing Scripture, For What He Does For me"?:

1 & 2) "Likewise The Spirit Also Helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we
ought: but The Spirit Itself Maketh Intercession For us with groanings which cannot be uttered.​
And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is The Mind Of The Spirit, because He Maketh
Intercession for the saints According to The Will of God." (Romans 8:26-27 AV)​
3) "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which​
The Holy Ghost Teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual." (1 Corinthians 2:13 AV)​

Amen.

Learned this From The Blessed Teacher:

I suppose that praying to the Holy Spirit is a very uncommon practice, but if you do it I honor and respect that.
When you speak to the Holy Spirit you are speaking to God who guides you and leads you to bear good fruit. That is wonderful.

The Gospel is presented in terms of human relations. We can't think in terms of divine relations.

Incorrect.

By asserting we can't think in terms of divine revelations you are making an affirmation about divine relations.

Therefore, you are thinking in terms of divine relations.

If you are praying to Jesus to intercede for your sins, because He is an "appropriate recipient of prayer", that's a good thing.

Which proves Jesus is God since only God is the proper recipient of prayer.
Post 110.

You cannot prove that Peter knew the totality of their hearts.
The most likely thing is that Peter probably knew little or nothing of their hearts.
The episode was not written to make people worship Peter, but to persuade people on who was behind Peter and, therefore, why they should listen to Peter.

By the same token, all episodes about the power exerted by Jesus were not written to persuade people to worship Jesus, but to persuade people on who was behind Jesus and therefore, why they should listen to Jesus.

Jesus stated several times who was behind Him, and who had given Him powers or authority.
So, any capacity He has to receive prayer resides in His Father, The Only and True God.

The most likely thing is that Peter probably knew little or nothing of their hearts.
The episode was not written to make people worship Peter, but to persuade people on who was behind Peter and, therefore, why they should listen to Peter.

By the same token, all episodes about the power exerted by Jesus were not written to persuade people to worship Jesus

False.

Since Jesus fully knows the hearts of all proves He is the proper recipient of prayer.

Here's another proof:
The Son of Man (which Jesus claimed He was; cf. Mark 14:62) is the proper recipient of 'pelach' (Daniel 7:14). One of the ways of offering 'pelach' (Daniel 6:16) is by prayer (Daniel 6:10).

Thus, the Son of Man (Jesus) taught He is the proper recipient of prayer.

Last edited:
Which includes honoring Him even as one honors the Father.
One cannot honor the Father by refusing to pray to the Father.

Thus, one cannot honor Jesus by refusing to pray to Jesus.

No, Fred.
You are not only making a mistake, but one with potential consequences on how you see the salvation of your Christian fellows. It is a serious thing to add requirements for salvation that Jesus didn't add.

So, for your sake but especially for the sake of our readers, including @civic it is important to read the text in question (CEV translation):

Now the leaders wanted to kill Jesus for two reasons. First, he had broken the law of the Sabbath. But even worse, he had said God was his Father, which made him equal with God.
Jesus told the people:
I tell you for certain the Son cannot do anything on his own. He can do only what he sees the Father doing, and he does exactly what he sees the Father do. 20 The Father loves the Son and has shown him everything he does. The Father will show him even greater things, and you will be amazed. 21 Just as the Father raises the dead and gives life, so the Son gives life to anyone he wants to.
22 The Father doesn't judge anyone, but he has made his Son the judge of everyone. 23 The Father wants all people to honor the Son as much as they honor him. When anyone refuses to honor the Son, this is the same as refusing to honor the Father who sent him. 24 I tell you for certain that everyone who hears my message and has faith in the one who sent me has eternal life and will never be condemned. They have already gone from death to life...
... 26 The Father has the power to give life, and he has given that same power to the Son. 27 And he has given his Son the right to judge everyone, because he is the Son of Man....
... I cannot do anything on my own. The Father sent me, and he is the one who told me how to judge. I judge with fairness, because I obey him, and I don't just try to please myself.
31 If I speak for myself, there is no way to prove I am telling the truth...
37 The Father who sent me also speaks for me, but you have never heard his voice or seen him face to face. 38 You have not believed his message, because you refused to have faith in the one he sent...
41 I don't care about human praise, 42 but I do know that none of you love God. 43 I have come with my Father's authority, and you have not welcomed me. But you will welcome people who come on their own. 44 How could you possibly believe? You like to have your friends praise you, and you don't care about praise that the only God can give!
Jesus was addressing his enemies, those who tried to kill him. He let them know that
  • He was acting as an Ambassador of God and had no power or authority from Himself. All was derived from God, His Father. He obeyed his Father. So, their enemies had no grounds to accuse Him of making Himself "equal with God".
  • If they claimed to honor God, they should also honor his Son, instead of trying to persecute Him and kill Him.
So, the passage is clear that honoring Jesus was all about,
  • It was first and foremost, about not accusing Him, persecuting Him or killing Him.
  • Second, it was about paying heed to Him as someone sent by God

Last edited:

By the same token, all episodes about the power exerted by Jesus were not written to persuade people to worship Jesus, but to persuade people on who was behind Jesus and therefore, why they should listen to Jesus.

Jesus stated several times who was behind Him, and who had given Him powers or authority.
So, any capacity He has to receive prayer resides in His Father, The Only and True God.
What's happening is that you're focused on only one aspect of Jesus to the detriment of all of his other aspects. Jesus was absolutely our Exemplar while on Earth. There's no doubt about that. But now Jesus is seated at the right hand of God the Father as the Uncreated Word of God. Clearly, Jesus has always been God (evidence: OT Theophanies) and always will be God (evidence: New Testament).

No, Fred.
You are not only making a mistake, but one with potential consequences on how you see the salvation of your Christian fellows. It is a serious thing to add requirements for salvation that Jesus didn't add.

So, for your sake but especially for the sake of our readers, including @civic it is important to read the text in question (CEV translation):

Now the leaders wanted to kill Jesus for two reasons. First, he had broken the law of the Sabbath. But even worse, he had said God was his Father, which made him equal with God.
Jesus told the people:
I tell you for certain the Son cannot do anything on his own. He can do only what he sees the Father doing, and he does exactly what he sees the Father do. 20 The Father loves the Son and has shown him everything he does. The Father will show him even greater things, and you will be amazed. 21 Just as the Father raises the dead and gives life, so the Son gives life to anyone he wants to.
22 The Father doesn't judge anyone, but he has made his Son the judge of everyone. 23 The Father wants all people to honor the Son as much as they honor him. When anyone refuses to honor the Son, this is the same as refusing to honor the Father who sent him. 24 I tell you for certain that everyone who hears my message and has faith in the one who sent me has eternal life and will never be condemned. They have already gone from death to life...
... 26 The Father has the power to give life, and he has given that same power to the Son. 27 And he has given his Son the right to judge everyone, because he is the Son of Man....
... I cannot do anything on my own. The Father sent me, and he is the one who told me how to judge. I judge with fairness, because I obey him, and I don't just try to please myself.
31 If I speak for myself, there is no way to prove I am telling the truth...
37 The Father who sent me also speaks for me, but you have never heard his voice or seen him face to face. 38 You have not believed his message, because you refused to have faith in the one he sent...
41 I don't care about human praise, 42 but I do know that none of you love God. 43 I have come with my Father's authority, and you have not welcomed me. But you will welcome people who come on their own. 44 How could you possibly believe? You like to have your friends praise you, and you don't care about praise that the only God can give!
Jesus was addressing his enemies, those who tried to kill him. He let them know that
  • He was acting as an Ambassador of God and had no power or authority from Himself. All was derived from God, His Father. He obeyed his Father. So, their enemies had no grounds to accuse Him of making Himself "equal with God".
  • If they claimed to honor God, they should also honor his Son, instead of trying to persecute Him and kill Him.
So, the passage is clear that honoring Jesus was all about,
  • It was first and foremost, about not accusing Him, persecuting Him or killing Him.
  • Second, it was about paying heed to Him as someone sent by God

Total dodge of Daniel 7:14, etc.
Try again.

Back
Top Bottom