Differences between Catholics and Protestants

"So the people would have no way of knowing what Jesus said about calling no man father. That's pretty much a red flag right there."

How's this for a modern-day red flag planted directly on top of the Vatcan?! :

"Catholics Worship Allah - PROOF"
I think this is shocking and important enough to provide a link to the actual source document. Item #841

I would not go so far as to say the Roman Church worships Allah (as is the claim in the video). But it does show that the Roman Church leadership is making false statements to their followers about moslems.

I tried to find the source for this #841 entry. It is here:
16. Finally, those who have not yet received the Gospel are related in various ways to the people of God.(18*) In the first place we must recall the people to whom the testament and the promises were given and from whom Christ was born according to the flesh.(125) On account of their fathers this people remains most dear to God, for God does not repent of the gifts He makes nor of the calls He issues.(126) But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Muslims, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind. Nor is God far distant from those who in shadows and images seek the unknown God, for it is He who gives to all men life and breath and all things,(127) and as Saviour wills that all men be saved.(128) Those also can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience.(19*) Nor does Divine Providence deny the helps necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God and with His grace strive to live a good life. Whatever good or truth is found amongst them is looked upon by the Church as a preparation for the Gospel.(20*) She knows that it is given by Him who enlightens all men so that they may finally have life. But often men, deceived by the Evil One, have become vain in their reasonings and have exchanged the truth of God for a lie, serving the creature rather than the Creator.(129) Or some there are who, living and dying in this world without God, are exposed to final despair. Wherefore to promote the glory of God and procure the salvation of all of these, and mindful of the command of the Lord, "Preach the Gospel to every creature",(130) the Church fosters the missions with care and attention.
DOGMATIC CONSTITUTION ON THE CHURCH
LUMEN GENTIUM
SOLEMNLY PROMULGATED BY HIS HOLINESS
POPE PAUL VI
ON NOVEMBER 21, 1964

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the "Church of the East" be the O.O.C., or is that yet another "rite" (I think that was the Catholic term for Rome vs Eastern Orthodox)?
I don't know what that is. Again, the Church of the East has nothing whatsoever to do with Eastern Orthodox - other than they both use the word "east" in the name.

Church of the East or Assyrian Church of the East. There are 3 main splinters - Nestorian, Maronite and Jacobite. From my research, the Jacobites are the closest to the original Nazarene Christians, the first Christian church.

Thanks for sharing Mike. Just so you know this OP came from Got Questions as a conversation starter. I'm not saying personally that I'm in agreement with their points. I'm a former calvinist of 40 years that left it a couple of years ago so there are many things that Reformers believed that I no longer believe myself.
You might be in the no mans land I was in, when reformer doctrines did not make sense, and all the division proved to me sola scriptura was not enough by itself. Yet at the time much of catholicism did not make sense to me either!

The answer for me in part was to read the testimonies of many who returned to the catholic church in (such as) patrick madrids reason to believe books. I discovered many in the protestant and evangelical world shared many of my concerns about staying or going from it. Newmans essay on the development of christian doctrine is useful as a warts and all none rose tinted view of the faults of catholicism but he studies the development of ideas and how disputes ended up resolved.

One aspect of the background of protestantism that escapes much attention is the era after aquinas.
Aquinas had the classical view of scientia - the balance between faith and reason both as sources of truth.

Shortly after aquinas the combination of marsilius , occam and machievelli changed the way the world viewed faith and reason.
Faith was deemed to have no reason, and reason became seen as the dominant truth over faith.
That paved the way to the enlightenment later.
Luther was a stated follower of occam.

It matters because increasingly faith without reason led to a God perceived to act without reason.

So the God of the creed and Lords prayer was a father with a covenant not master slave relationship who wanted all his children to succeed and come to Him as a father of a family does.

Increasing the detachment from reason led to perception of God too acting as master without reason becoming the Calvinist view of double predestination, the elect elect without reason, tough luck if you are not one of the elect. That Gods sovereignty and ability to choose arbitrarily trumped his father hood.

That is a long way from the God of a father children covenant, who is willing all to succeed unless you choose not to be part of His family.
Later the enlightment tried to rid itself of all faith. Now leading to the scientism of today.

So protestantism was also founded on a changing view of faith and reason.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, in case people do not know, Eastern Orthodox is completely different from the Church of the East.
I never understood how the none chalcedon orthodox (I presume you mean so called oriental orthodox) justify their position.

Those who accept the authority of councils cannot pick and choose which councils they prefer!

I think this is shocking and important enough to provide a link to the actual source document. Item #841

I would not go so far as to say the Roman Church worships Allah (as is the claim in the video). But it does show that the Roman Church leadership is making false statements to their followers about moslems.

I tried to find the source for this #841 entry. It is here:

DOGMATIC CONSTITUTION ON THE CHURCH
LUMEN GENTIUM
SOLEMNLY PROMULGATED BY HIS HOLINESS
POPE PAUL VI
ON NOVEMBER 21, 1964

Muslims claim to be followers of the God of Abraham, as Judaism does.
IThat makes them part of Gods family.

They lost their way, and their view of God is the sovereign master/ slave relationship, not the covenant father God of love and compassion.
I could argue calvinist view of elect without reason, condemned without reason is also a faulty view of a God of love who wants all in the end to come to Him. Most moslems do not know any better.

The church hopes they will be see the errors of their ways and saved. What is wrong with the hope?.

They lost their way, and their view of God is the sovereign master/ slave relationship, not the covenant father God of love and compassion.
I could argue calvinist view of elect without reason, condemned without reason is also a faulty view of a God of love who wants all in the end to come to Him. Most moslems do not know any better.

The church hopes they will be see the errors of their ways and saved. What is wrong with the hope?.
Works for me.:)

I don't know very much about the Catholic religion but I do know quite a bit about Islam. One good study that clears things up is Hagar, Ishmael and Islam.

What's wrong with it? Because Allah is not the same as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is the moon god.

Would love to read that.
Do you have a reference or link for it?
I studied it out years ago, I'm sure there's an article on my blog I'll take a look in a minute. The bottom line I believe the reason the Arab Nations under the religion of Islam are such a thorn in the side of Israel and the rest of the world is because of the consequences of Adam and Sarah not obeying and believing God but taking the matter into their own hands. Hagar and Ishmael wasn't the way God had things planned.

The angel of the Lord found her there and comforted her, telling her to return to her mistress and giving her a prophecy concerning her son: “You shall name him Ishmael, for the LORD has heard of your misery. He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone and everyone’s hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers” (Genesis 16 11–12). This was Hagar’s first encounter with Abram’s God, and she called Him “the God who sees me”

That sounds like Islam to me.

Also if you felt like it you could just Google "Hagar Ishmael and Islam" And you'll get a ton of different websites with a lot of different opinions.

What's wrong with it? Because Allah is not the same as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is the moon god.
There's nothing new under the sun. Back in those days after the tower of Babel all of the nations around the inhabited part of the earth had their own god. It's actually in the Bible.

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof. 2 Timothy 3:5

Islam is a form of paganism as they do not actually worship the God of Abraham.

Paul had a good description of them.

They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, Romans 1:29

I studied it out years ago, I'm sure there's an article on my blog I'll take a look in a minute. The bottom line I believe the reason the Arab Nations under the religion of Islam are such a thorn in the side of Israel and the rest of the world is because of the consequences of Adam and Sarah not obeying and believing God but taking the matter into their own hands. Hagar and Ishmael wasn't the way God had things planned.

The angel of the Lord found her there and comforted her, telling her to return to her mistress and giving her a prophecy concerning her son: “You shall name him Ishmael, for the LORD has heard of your misery. He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone and everyone’s hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers” (Genesis 16 11–12). This was Hagar’s first encounter with Abram’s God, and she called Him “the God who sees me”

That sounds like Islam to me.

Also if you felt like it you could just Google "Hagar Ishmael and Islam" And you'll get a ton of different websites with a lot of different opinions.
You used the phrase "one good study" which sounded like a specific report

Back
Top Bottom