Did Jesus Shed His Humanity at the Ascension?

First, if there is a white horse, it is metaphor. And will have to be dicussed metaphorically.
God is the same yesterday, today and forver. God was not a man forever> He was God forever
Acts 1:9-11.- (you added God man) He will come from above
Why would there not be a white horse? That's what the scriptures tell us.

Christ on a White Horse Rev. 19:11-16​

11 Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. 12 His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. 13 He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. 14 And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. 15 Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. 16 And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written:

KING OF KINGS AND
LORD OF LORDS.

Jesus coming back on a white horse doesn't fit the criteria to be a metaphor.

Also. Consider....

@sethproton

Seth doesn't realize this but the arguments be has been making concerning 2 Cor 3:18 actually are self defeating.

The Transfiguration of Christ wasn't a "disrobing" of Jesus Christ from His flesh. Christ did not discard His body as record in Matthew and Mark when he "metamorphoō" before His disciples.

Seth please consider this. Jesus did not stop being a man or being a part of humanity even for this reason. (and there's other reasons too) but for this reason. When he comes back what is he called?

And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. Matt 24:30

What do we see two times there? What's the emphasis? The Son of Man. Notice it doesn't say the Son of God as one who gave up his humanity? He is God but he didn't give up his humanity. And we're now talking about when he comes back so long after the resurrection. THE ....SON....OF....MAN.

So Seth the Greek word used for Son of Man is anthropos and what does Strong's say about it?

anthrópos: a man, human, mankind
Original Word: ἄνθρωπος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: anthrópos
Phonetic Spelling: (anth'-ro-pos)
Definition: a man, human, mankind
Usage: a man, one of the human race.

Now I think this is very signicfant and something not to sweep under the rug for a variety of reasons. The Son of Man is called that for he's a descendent of Adam by virtue of the fact he was born through a physical line albeit not himself tainted by a sin nature as the rest of humanity....BUT...Still humanity!

Now...about the far off future and I'm not sure I understand it all for we see through a glass darkly. But it seems at least to me there will be the physical system of the Earth and universe, even if it's a new heavens and new earth. 2 Pt 3:13 Christ WILL rule that Kingdom forever and ever. So how will he do that without the physical component of his physicality? The KING the Son of Man, the offspring of Adam.....the seed of humanity crushed Satan's head Gen 3:115 But this seed of humanity will rule.

I could say more things but by you're saying Christ gave up his humanity, meaning giving up all things physical about his terrestrial body that would take him out of the position of being the Son of MAN. He would be the Son of God still in your way of thinking but not the Son of Man. When Jesus comes back, and he hasn't done that yet....He will be still called.....THE SON OF MAN.

Much appreciated if you'd give that some thought Seth.
Well said my friend I have presented something similar to him in the past with Jewish references, sources as to the biblical meaning of the son of man in the OT. It’s used like you mentioned of humanity , human beings , man as in having a human body.

Now I think this is very signicfant and something not to sweep under the rug for a variety of reasons. The Son of Man is called that for he's a descendent of Adam by virtue of the fact he was born through a physical line albeit not himself tainted by a sin nature as the rest of humanity....BUT...Still humanity!

Let me challenge you on this for a moment. There are two seeds relative to humanity. Not just the seed of Adam. Christ is the "seed of the women".

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

There is no human life without either the seed of the male or the seed of the woman. It takes both. I have long disagreed without how the human lineage of Christ is traditionally constructed.

It is the seed of humanity that brought to our Lord Adam's/Mary's weakness. It was the seed of humanity that caused our Lord to age and "all points" experience our fall. I don't believe this process imparted sin to the unblemished spotless Lamb of God but it wasn't because He had some "magic flesh". (Not saying you believe this. Just making the point). Just making the point that He was in ALL POINTS like us.

Which is why I continually preach/teach/declare that it is the Innate qualities of Divinity that made Jesus Christ an Impeccable, Innocent and Immaculate sacrifice.

Let me challenge you on this for a moment. There are two seeds relative to humanity. Not just the seed of Adam. Christ is the "seed of the women".

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Sure no problem with what you're saying and you did provide Gen 3: 15 to confirm it. Yes right on.....we could say as well though that Genesis 5:2 says,

In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created. Gen 5:2 In God's eyes they were one flesh .

Read what I wrote again Seth. I was clear in what I said. You're overly nice to others and tend to compliment them when you FIRST engage them. However, that is usually very "short lived". You soon start complaining about others personally because you can't defend your position.

Personally, I would prefer to talk to the elder you're repeating. Just cut out the middle man.
Do you have one example whare I could not my support my opinion so I complain about others here?
As to what other person I rely on for trtuh, it is my pastor. No one is force feeding me. I study the Word and accept that as truth.

He became a man forever. Bible 101, Christianity 101. The Incarnation was permanent, not temporal just like His bodily Resurrection was permanent, not temporal. These doctrines go hand in hand together. To deny one of them is to deny all of them. To deny the gospel is to deny the Resurrection. To deny the Resurrection is to deny Christ humanity as the son of man, prophet, priest, king and mediator all present and ongoing roles of Christ because He remains human, a man. It denies the the entire Person and work of Christ if He is no longer a man along with the gospel.

It also denies all the Christian Creeds throughout Church History. It is 100% Essential,core, foundational doctrine. The Creeds say to deny it is anethema and so does Paul in Galatians 1.

hope this helps !!!
ok, so Jesus was God forever, but became a man (lower then the angels) for a while = the incarnarnation.

Why would there not be a white horse? That's what the scriptures tell us.

Christ on a White Horse Rev. 19:11-16​

11 Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. 12 His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. 13 He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. 14 And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. 15 Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. 16 And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written:

KING OF KINGS AND
LORD OF LORDS.

Jesus coming back on a white horse doesn't fit the criteria to be a metaphor.

I did not doubt there was a while horse, and told you "if /when? the subject comes to white horses they are metaphorical and have to be discussed metaphorically."

I did not doubt there was a while horse, and told you "if /when? the subject comes to white horses they are metaphorical and have to be discussed metaphorically."
Sorry I just don't get it. To me if it says a white horse it's a white horse.

"You use the word metaphorical to indicate that you are not using words with their ordinary meaning, but are describing something by means of an image or symbol. It turns out Levy is talking in metaphorical terms. Synonyms: figurative, symbolic, emblematic, allegorical More Synonyms of metaphorical." Dictionary

But I'm sure you know what you're talking about.

The point is he returns In the same bodily form as when he left.

9 And when He had said this, even as they were looking [at Him], He was caught up, and a cloud received and carried Him away out of their sight.
10 And while they were gazing intently into heaven as He went, behold, two men [dressed] in white robes suddenly stood beside them,
11 Who said, Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing into heaven? This same Jesus, Who was caught away and lifted up from among you into heaven, will return in [just] the same way in which you saw Him go into heaven. Acts 1:9–11

Nothing added there.

The point is he returns In the same bodily form as when he left.

9 And when He had said this, even as they were looking [at Him], He was caught up, and a cloud received and carried Him away out of their sight.
10 And while they were gazing intently into heaven as He went, behold, two men [dressed] in white robes suddenly stood beside them,
11 Who said, Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing into heaven? This same Jesus, Who was caught away and lifted up from among you into heaven, will return in [just] the same way in which you saw Him go into heaven. Acts 1:9–11

Nothing added there.
Yes a real man or a real horse, not a spirit on a make believe horse.

or maybe its really a brown horse and the writer was color blind.

hmmmmm

The doctrine of the incarnation does not teach that a change took place in the personality of the Son of God. There was a change in the form in which He appeared, there was a change in the state in which He manifested Himself, but there was no change in His personality, He is the same Person always. In the womb of the virgin Mary, and lying as a helpless babe in the manger, He is still the second Person in the Holy Trinity.

He ascended In the form of a man after His earthly ministry and will return the same way.

Back
Top Bottom