Did Jesus Shed His Humanity at the Ascension?

Maurice

I think the answer to the question is, no Jesus did not shed his humanity at the Ascension.

19 So then the Lord Jesus, after He had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven and He sat down at the right hand of God. [Ps. 110:1.]20 And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord kept working with them and confirming the message by the attesting signs and miracles that closely accompanied [it]. Amen (so be it). Mk 16:19–20.

The Ascension is a discrete element of Christ the mediator. It marks his entry into supreme authority over the creation. The Ascension is, I think, a subject richer and more instructive than is commonly recognized. A description of the event occurs in only two places in the New Testament, both written by Luke (Luke 24:50-51, Acts 1:6-11) but the New Testament refers to it in many places and it is also foreshadowed in the Old Testament.

The dramatic departure of the risen Christ from His earthly, bodily ministry among His followers. Since His birth in Bethlehem by the miracle of the *Incarnation, Jesus had lived physically on earth. But forty days after the Resurrection, His earthly ministry ceased with His ascension into heaven . To a large extent the Ascension was for the benefit of Jesus’ followers. They could no longer expect His physical presence. They must now wait for the promised Holy Spirit through whom the work of Jesus would continue.Jesus’ departure into heaven was a literal, physical, bodily ascension in His resurrected body.

Stephen and Paul both reported seeing Jesus in bodily form after His ascension. The Ascension marked the beginning of Christ’s intercession for His followers at the right hand of God. There He makes continual intercession for all believers . Although Christ is not physically present with His people today, He is no less concerned for them or less active on their behalf. Christians enjoy peace, hope, and security because Christ is their advocate with the Father. It is as the exalted Lord that Jesus sent or “poured out” the Holy Spirit upon His church, with His gifts for believers.

Heaven’s strategy determined that the presence of Jesus would be replaced by the presence of the Holy Spirit, who could be everywhere at the same time. Since Pentecost until today, Jesus’ followers now enjoy the presence of the Spirit and the operation of the Spirit’s gifts through them, as the church pursues the mission Jesus ordered. As a result of His ascension, Jesus exercises His heavenly reign at the right hand of the Father as Lord of the church.

This reign will last until His *Second Coming, when He will return to the earth as the reigning Messiah, announced as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Finally, the ascension of Christ is the pledge of His Second Coming:

“This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven” Acts 1:11

Jesus will return to earth—literally and physically—in bodily form just as He ascended into heaven. He's coming back!

I think I heard a long time ago that Jesus needed to be in the same bodily form that he was during his Earthly Ministry in order to be our Great High Priest today. Sounds like an interesting topic of study.

Jesus the Great High Priest
13Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight; everything is uncovered and exposed before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account. 14Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we profess. 15For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who was tempted in every way that we are, yet was without sin.…Hebrews 4:13 -15

Here's another comparison between human priests of the Aaronic Levitical order and Jesus, the eternal Son of God:

Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; 24 but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. 25 Therefore he is able to save completely[a] those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.Hebrews 7:23-25

Jesus lives or continues15 forever -- literally, "unto the ages."
Jesus has a permanent or unchangeable priesthood.
Jesus is able to save completely those who come to God through him. This word "to the uttermost" "for all time" and "completely" is literally "unto completeness" (pantelēs) -- "completely, perfectly, utterly."
Jesus always lives to intercede for us. In Classical Greek, the verb entugchanō means "to go to or meet a person" especially for the purpose of conversation, consultation, or supplication." Here and at Romans 8:21, 34, it means "to pray, entreat, make intercession of."

Jesus' intercession for us is mentioned elsewhere in the New Testament (Romans 8:21, 34; 1 John 2:1), but here the writer ties this priestly act to Jesus' continual and permanent High Priestly ministry. If you're in trouble, Jesus is interceding for you before the throne of God. Not as a supplicant, but as enthroned Priest-King at the right hand of the Father!

Hebrews 13:8 states, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." This verse emphasizes the immutability of Jesus Christ, who was in the past exactly who He is in the present and precisely who He will be forever. It gives us assurance that Jesus is reliable today and that the things He has said are reliable. The writer of Hebrews encourages readers to conduct themselves in a way that reflects a recognition of the superiority of Jesus Christ. If God arbitrarily changes. then how can we have confidence that what He has said He will do?

It's important to know Jesus is permanently a human, as he is the Mediator between man and God.

However, he is a glorified human now, who also has divine attributes—nothing like our limitations.

Knowing he experienced many of the limitations we now endure, he understands us uniquely.

It's important to know Jesus is permanently a human, as he is the Mediator between man and God.

However, he is a glorified human now, who also has divine attributes—nothing like our limitations.

Knowing he experienced many of the limitations we now endure, he understands us uniquely.
@sethproton agreed ?

The first post in this thread
IS JESUS STILL A MAN?
Civic and I have discussed this maybe 20 times over the years but for those who have not heard my position: NO, Jesus is no longer a man.

1. Psalm 8:5, Heb 2:19 - He was for a litle while lower than the angels. As a man he was lower than angels just like all men.
2. 1 John 3:2 Rom 8_19- When we see Him as He is, we will be like him but the aposle John having seen Him resurrected says we have not yet seen Him as He is (otherwise John would hae ben transformed) - When Christ comes back there will be a revealing of the Sons of God and the universe will see what we are?
3. 1 Cor 15:20 - flesh and blood cannot enter an imperishible Kingdom. WIthout flesh and blood we are not human.
4. Rom 1:23 - The form of human flesh is corruptible. God is incorruptible.
5. Col 2:9 is in the present and future. Jesus is in Heaven, it says the fullness of deity dwells in Him
6. Heb 8:6. A mediator is a court term. Many of you know what a mediator does. He brings the two parties to agreement and then presents the pact to the judge. He does not defend either party. He brings them together and then to the Judge. He does not agrue before the judge.

If you want any more detail on theses, I will do what I can

NO, Jesus is no longer a man.

"I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star." (Rev. 22:16 NKJ)

How is he the offspring of David anymore, if he is no longer a man?

3. 1 Cor 15:20 - flesh and blood cannot enter an imperishible Kingdom. WIthout flesh and blood we are not human.
So what's wrong Seth with believing he's an exalted man? Exalted meaning his physicals body received and upgrade at the resurrection ? That wouldn't in my opinion not make him a man or member of humanity anymore would it? Why should you think so?

4. Rom 1:23 - The form of human flesh is corruptible. God is incorruptible.
Well surely you agree right that Jesus body was glorified? Why can't you believe it was the same body but upgraded?
5. Col 2:9 is in the present and future. Jesus is in Heaven, it says the fullness of deity dwells in Him
So again why can't you believe he can have that and be in a glorified body?
And what does it say about us or God's intent even for us? This may blow people's minds but here's what it says,

"That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Eph 3:17

That doesn't mean we'll be God of course not but it states we can become filled with all the fulness of God. So will that mean we're not humanity any more or of the MAN species? I can't figure out why you say it wouldn't.

Last edited:
"I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star." (Rev. 22:16 NKJ)

How is he the offspring of David anymore, if he is no longer a man?
Jesus is not my offsspring. Does He have a unigue relaitonship with the Jews? THis is a difficult one.

So what's wrong Seth with believing he's an exalted man? Exalted meaning his physicals body received and upgrade at the resurrection ? That wouldn't in my opinion not make him a man or member of humanity anymore would it? Why should you think so?

Well surely you agree right that Jesus body was glorified? Why can't you believe it was the same body but upgraded?

So again why can't you believe he can have that and be in a glorified body?
And what does it say about us or God's intent even for us? This may blow people's minds but here's what it says,

"That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Eph 3:17

That doesn't mean we'll be God of course not but it states we can become filled with all the fulness of God. So will that mean we're not humanity any more or of the MAN species? I can't figure out why you say it wouldn't.
Rockson . as for exalted man that phrase is not in the Bible. So I hesitate to use it.
The question is not if we become God but rather if we remain human. And the questtion is not if we become exalter men, but human at all?
Post resurrection. that was not his ascended body, REmember John's quote He had seen Jesus but didn'know what the ascended body looked like.
And you have concluded like men that we will not be humanity anymore?

Rockson . as for exalted man that phrase is not in the Bible. So I hesitate to use it.
The question is not if we become God but rather if we remain human. And the questtion is not if we become exalter men, but human at all?
Post resurrection. that was not his ascended body, REmember John's quote He had seen Jesus but didn'know what the ascended body looked like.
And you have concluded like men that we will not be humanity anymore. And you have concluded on question 3

And you have concluded like me that we will not be humanity anymore?

Jesus is not my offsspring.

Who said he was?

What does this statement have to do with the price of tea in China?

Now Christ did not say "I used to be the offspring of David."

This is the end of the end, the all things new, the last chapter in Revelation, Christ has ascended in his new state.

And he said "I AM THE OFFSPRING OF DAVID."

The only way that can logically be true, is if he is still human.

Does He have a unigue relaitonship with the Jews? THis is a difficult one.

This has nothing to do with the statement.

It's like a huge red herring to obfuscate and distract from the direct point being made.

Why would you do that?

"I am the offspring of David." — ascended Jesus

Back
Top Bottom