An Article on free will

It is the WORK OF GOD that you believe in Him whom He has sent.
Synergy at its finest! It is the work of God that you believe in Him.
Not that He unilaterally treats you like a puppet and zaps you with belief but that you believe in Him.
Do I need to type slower for Calvinists to see the words "that you believe in Him"?

The Lord of all creation bless you!

Yes, indeed, praise the God who saves and sanctifies!

Rogue Tomato, have you noticed that @TomL convey "free-will, free will, freewill, we men have free wills", but he turns right around to write that wills in Romans 9:16 "in context it has absolutely nothing to do with free will" (the word of TomL as recorded in post #1,983) in TomL's vain attempt to subtract man's will from "it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy" (Romans 9:16)?

That is blindness that TomL exhibits about "will" in Romans 9:16. Rogue Tomato, do you recall TomL quoting a verse about blindness as some kind of support for free will?

Hmmm, oh, here is the verse, "He has blinded their eyes, and has hardened their heart, that they should not see with the eyes, and understand with the heart, and turn, and I will heal them" (John 12:40), and here is the link to post #2,001 which records TomL's use of John 12:40 as a free-will proof text; moreover, TomL is blind because will is specifically mentioned in Romans 9:16 yet TomL conveys "Romans 9:16 has absolutely nothing to do with will" (the word of TomL as recorded in post #1,983) which is ungodly confusion on TomL's part (1 Corinthians 14:33).

Free-willians make false statements about God, and free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)!

In the promise of the Resurrection,
Kermos
Try supporting your claims with actual quotes

Instead ripping words from context like you do with scripture
Yes, it's hard NOT to notice. Free-willers also have to engage in mind-altering mental gymnastics to turn "this is the work of God" into "this is the work required by God" just because the people asked Jesus what work they should do. Jesus didn't answer the way they expected. Jesus was under no obligation to do that. Instead, Jesus told the truth. It is the WORK OF GOD that you believe in Him whom He has sent.
Duh these are not free willers

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Just people unlike you who actually pay some attention to context

Hello @TomL,

Your heart's treasure of "God causes to be born again those who believe /those who receive Christ" (the word of TomL as recorded in post #799) is you conveying that man believing in Jesus then causes God to cause man to be born again.

This bears repeating:
TomL believes that man believing in Jesus then causes God to cause man to be born again.

According to Lord Jesus, man cannot perceive/see King Jesus unless man is born again "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God" (John 3:3).

TomL's "man believing in Jesus then causes God to cause man to be born again." is an outright denial of King Jesus over the Kingdom of God's "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God" (John 3:3).

Your heart makes false statements about God. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE THE FATHER IN HEAVEN!!!

Hello @TomL,

Your heart's treasure of "God causes to be born again those who believe /those who receive Christ" (the word of TomL as recorded in post #799) is you conveying that man believing in Jesus then causes God to cause man to be born again.

This bears repeating:
TomL believes that man believing in Jesus then causes God to cause man to be born again.
Just like scripture

John 1:12 (KJV 1900) — 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

James 1:18 (ESV) — 18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

1 Corinthians 4:15 (KJV 1900) — 15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

1 Peter 1:23–25 (KJV 1900) — 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Why don't you believe scripture

According to Lord Jesus, man cannot perceive/see King Jesus unless man is born again "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God" (John 3:3). TomL's "man believing in Jesus then causes God to cause man to be born again." is an outright denial of King Jesus over the Kingdom of God's "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God" (John 3:3).

Your heart makes false statements about God. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE THE FATHER IN HEAVEN!!!
If you had any understanding and if you employed the whole council of God you would understand that Jesus is speaking of how one can experience the kingdom of God

and you would recognize Christ did not leave Nicodemus's question unanswered

John 3:9–15 (KJV 1900) — 9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? 10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? 13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

And your would reject those gnostic inspired doctrines you adopted.

TomL's "man believing in Jesus then causes God to cause man to be born again." is an outright denial of King Jesus over the Kingdom of God's "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God" (John 3:3).
It seems you're willingly being shallow with your reasoning. That word "see" in the Greek also means to experience.

I see, look upon, experience, perceive, discern, beware.

So your thought is one can't even spiritually or mentally grasp Jesus instructions in the way to enter the kingdom unless he has experienced it? That's like one saying to one describing what life is like living in some grand city on Earth the one he's speaking to can't understand anything he's saying . Jesus says to all in an open meeting "Seek first the Kingdom of God" If they can't understand any concept about it for the reason of not being born again then what meaning does Jesus's words have? Sorry but your Calvinistic thinking falters.

It seems you're willingly being shallow with your reasoning. That word "see" in the Greek also means to experience.

So your thought is one can't even spiritually or mentally grasp Jesus instructions in the way to enter the kingdom unless he has experienced it? That's like one saying to one describing what life is like living in some grand city on Earth the one he's speaking to can't understand anything he's saying . Jesus says to all in an open meeting "Seek first the Kingdom of God" If they can't understand any concept about it for the reason of not being born again then what meaning does Jesus's words have? Sorry but your Calvinistic thinking falters.
Calvinism latches on to interpretations they believe they can use to support their doctrine and ignore everything contrary to it

Yes, it's hard NOT to notice. Free-willers also have to engage in mind-altering mental gymnastics

If you own a bible, then notice this verse.

Perhaps you've heard of it, or read it, or heard it used in a sermon..

1.) ""CHOOSE= this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” = (By Choice).

A.) ....Now, if there is no "free will" as heretics were taught by heretics to teach.... and if we are all just "totally depraved", (T<ULIP)... and can't choose to serve God or BELIEVE IN JESUS< then How was Joshua able to CHOOSE to serve God?

The same way you can do it.

Welcome To : Free Will.

God has it, we have it....and its not going anywhere.

Try supporting your claims with actual quotes

Instead ripping words from context like you do with scripture

Duh these are not free willers

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Just people unlike you who actually pay some attention to context
there goes his argument well done :)

spot on !

Sorry you have no idea how to interpret scripture. That verse says nothing at all about any inability to believe. If anything it ijmplies he can

sorry you have ignored context and allowed your theology to interpret scripture

A basic hermeneutic fault

Nothing there about an inability to believe

Again your interpretation is driven by your theology

Sorry you do not even know the meaning of sovereignty

free will

(ARV 2005) but without thy mind I would do nothing, that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(ASV-2014) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Anderson) but, without your consent, I was not willing to do any thing, that your good deed might not be as a matter of necessity, but one of free-will.
(ASV) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(FAA) but I did not want to do anything without your opinion, so that your good deed would not be as it were under compulsion, but of free will.
(GDBY_NT) but without your consent I did not wish to do anything; in order that your good might not be by constraint, but by the free will:
(GW) Yet, I didn't want to do anything without your consent. I want you to do this favor for me out of your own free will without feeling forced to do it.
(csb) But I didn't want to do anything without your consent, so that your good deed might not be out of obligation, but of your own free will.
(LEB) But apart from your consent, I wanted to do nothing, in order that your good deed might be not as according to necessity, but according to your own free will.
(MRC) but without your consent I did not want to do anything, that your goodness might not be by necessity, but of your own free will.
(MNT) But without your consent I was unwilling to do anything, so that your kindness to me might be of your own free will, and not of compulsion.
(NTVR) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Revised Standard ) but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will.
(RNT) but without your consent I am unwilling to do anything, so that your goodness may not be of necessity but of free will.
(RSV-CE) but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will.
(TLV) But I didn’t want to do anything without your consent, so that your goodness wouldn’t be by force but by free will.
(WEB) But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(WEB (R)) But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Wuest's) Georgia;;14-16 But I came to a decision in my heart to do nothing without your consent, in order that your goodness might not be as it were by compulsion but of your own free will. For perhaps on this account he was parted for a brief time in order that you might be possessing him fully and forever, no longer in the capacity of a slave, but above a slave, a brother , a beloved one, beloved most of all by me, how much more than that by you, both in his human relationship and in the Lord.
(NASB77) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, that your goodness should not be as it were by compulsion, but of your own free will.
(NASB95) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
(TEV) 14 However, I do not want to force you to help me; rather, I would like for you to do it of your own free will. So I will not do anything unless you agree.
(ERV) 14 but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(NHEB) 14 But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(TCE) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
CT 14 but I would not do any thing without thy consent, that the benefit derived from thee might not be as it were forced, but of free will.
NENT 14 but without thy: mind I wished to do nothing; that thy: goodness be not as of necessity, but of free will.
SLT 14 But without thy judgment I would do nothing; that good might not be as according to necessity, but according to free will.
(NEB) 14 But I would rather do nothing without your consent, so that your kindness may be a matter not of compulsion, but of your own free will.
(REB) 14 But I would rather do nothing without your consent, so that your kindness may be a matter not of compulsion, but of your own free will.
(RASV)but without your consent I would do nothing; that your goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(UASV)but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by necessity but of your own free will.

Why, thank you, for writing "Sorry you have no idea how to interpret scripture" because we born of the Holy Spirit of God have my brother the Apostle Peter explain to us "know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God" (2 Peter 1:20-21), but you self-will (2 Peter 2:9-10) interpret scripture as is visible in the following.

Paul uses free will as illusory instead of concrete in Philemon 1:14 (that's the verse you quoted over and over and over again) - and this is the only occurrence of "free will" that I am aware of in the New American Standard Bible New Testament. Paul wrote "but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will" (Philemon 1:14), so your misinterpretion is that you believe Paul's use of free-will as an illusion indicates a concrete free-will for man, even more, Paul never is recorded in the New Testament as writing that God imparted free-will to man, not even a hint because that would contradict Christ (John 15:16-19); therefore, your own interpretation of Philemon 1:14 is not of the Spirit of the Holy God.

Your interpretation of John 6:29 is not of the Spirit of the Holy God as we see you have made it clear that in the interpretive domain of TomL, your thoughts of "I can judge right to choose to believe in the Righteous Jesus Christ by my own initiative" override and nullify the Lord Jesus Christ sayings of "why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right" (Luke 12:57) which is Christ indicating man is incapable of choosing to believe in the Righteous Lord Jesus Christ according to man's own initiative; therefore, your own interpretation domain will die with you.

In your heart's interpretive domain, you have adulterated “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29) into a work of your heart "This is NOT the work of God BUT THIS IS THE WORK OF MAN, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (recorded in post #1,818); therefore, your own interpretation domain will die with you.

In your interpretive domain, you are greater than Lord Jesus Christ Who says "I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 5:30), so Christ's will was under the control of God's will in order to do righteousness, but your will is self-admittedly not under the righteous loving control of God's will; therefore, your own interpretation domain will die with you.

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE LORD JESUS FOR THE ONE HOLY FAITH DELIVERED TO ALL OF US SAINTS!!!

Just like scripture

John 1:12 (KJV 1900) — 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

James 1:18 (ESV) — 18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

1 Corinthians 4:15 (KJV 1900) — 15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

1 Peter 1:23–25 (KJV 1900) — 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

If you had any understanding and if you employed the whole council of God you would understand that Jesus is speaking of how one can experience the kingdom of God

John 3:9–15 (KJV 1900) — 9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? 10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? 13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Thanks for bringing up John 1:12, James 1:18, 1 Corinthians 4:15, 1 Peter 1:23–25, and John 3:9–15. Let's look at the error of your own interpretation of all these, but let's start with John 1:12.

Your heart's thoughts, as you have expressed in this thread, your dearly held treasure is that the order in John 1:12 dictates chronological occurrence, so you have "received" lead to "believe" lead to "born of God".

The Apostle John wrote "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God" (John 1:12-13).

Let's follow John's blessed chain linking these people:
  • John starts with the full population of the planet "He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him" (John 1:10) as he builds toward the source of holiness which is "born of God" (John 1:13).
  • John narrows the population to Israel only "He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him" (John 1:11).
  • John further narrows the focus to a sub-population of Israel "but as many as received Him" (John 1:12)
  • John equates the population of "but as many as received Him" (John 1:12) with the population of "children of God" (John 1:12) as he builds toward the source of holiness, that is, "born of God" (John 1:13).
  • John further equates the population of "children of God" (John 1:12) with the population of "believe in His name" increasing tempo about the source of holiness being"born of God" (John 1:13).
  • John arrives at the source of holiness for every single one of us saints (holy ones) which is being "born of God" (John 1:13).

John's Good Message narrows the focus then he further narrows the focus then he further narrows the focus then further narrowing onward, so we can expand the focus starting with John's primary foundational point moving toward the secondary larger point and then the tertiary broader point and so on.

John's primary foundational point is "born of God" (John 1:13, John 3:3-8) which results in John's secondary point of "believe in His name" (John 1:12, John 6:29) and "children of God" (John 1:12, John 3:3-8) and "many as received Him" (John 1:12, John 9) which has implications for John's tertiary point "His own did not receive Him" (John 1:11) which arrives at John's opening, broadest point which is the fact that "born of God" (John 1:13, John 3:3-8) does not include everybody in "the world" (John 1:10).

John has the "born of God" as the first and primary position.

John indicates that God causes man to believe in Jesus in John 1:12-13 because neither "believe" nor "born of God" are "of the will of man (John 1:13).

James 1:18 says not that man's believing proceeds man being born of God, so you adulterate "Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (James 1:18) into "Of his own will he brought us ACCORDING TO OUR OWN WILL BELIEVING the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (the heart of TomL).

1 Corinthians 4:15 says not that man's believing proceeds man being born of God, so you adulterate "For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel" (1 Corinthians 4:15) into "For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you BY YOUR WAY OF YOUR OWN INITIATIVE JUDGING RIGHT TO CAUSE YOURSELF TO BELIEVE the gospel" (the heart of TomL).

1 Peter 1:23–25 says not that man's believing proceeds man being born of God, so your own interpretation is deception.

John 3:9–15 says not that man's believing proceeds man being born of God, in fact, every single mention of saving faith (believe) in John 3:9-15 is governed by the Christ of us Christians saying “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29), but you heart adulterates the very Word of God into your own interpretation of:
Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? 10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye CAUSE YOURSELF TO believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? 13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven EXCEPT MEN WHO JUDGE RIGHT IN THEIR OWN INITIATIVE TO BELIEVE IN ME AND he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever CHOOSES TO believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
(the heart of TomL (no longer the Word of God))​

The Word of God explicitly excludes man from being able to choose God unto salvation with Christ's powerful:
  • "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:16), so God chooses people to be friends (John 15:15, the prior verse) and to believe (John 6:29) and to be born again (John 3:3-8) and for righteous works (John 3:21, John 15:5) and to repent (Matthew 11:25) and to love (John 13:34) and unto salvation (John 15:19 the same passage).
  • "I chose you out of the world" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:19, includes salvation), so God exclusively chooses people unto salvation.
  • "What I say to you I say to all" (Lord Jesus Christ, Mark 13:37 - Jesus had taken the Apostles Peter, Andrew, James, and John aside in private and said this), so all the blessings of God mentioned above are to all believers in all time.
The only way for free-willian philosophers to acheive free-will is for free-willians to add to the Word of God, and it is written "do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar" (Proverbs 30:6).

We Christians are blessed of God to be chosen by Lord Jesus without us being required to do any kind of work because the Word of God says "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:16) and "I chose you out of the world" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:19, includes salvation)!

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE BE TO THE LAMB OF GOD WHO TAKES AWAY THE SIN OF THE WORLD!!!

Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? 10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye CAUSE YOURSELF TO believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? 13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven EXCEPT MEN WHO JUDGE RIGHT IN THEIR OWN INITIATIVE TO BELIEVE IN ME AND he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever CHOOSES TO believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Excellent summation of the free-willer man-centered religion.

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE BE TO THE LAMB OF GOD WHO TAKES AWAY THE SIN OF THE WORLD!!!

Amen.

Just like scripture

Amen on exposing the fatalist's doctrines of man made philosophy- Colossians 2:8

Thanks for bringing up John 1:12, James 1:18, 1 Corinthians 4:15, 1 Peter 1:23–25, and John 3:9–15. Let's look at the error of your own interpretation of all these, but let's start with John 1:12.

Your heart's thoughts, as you have expressed in this thread, your dearly held treasure is that the order in John 1:12 dictates chronological occurrence, so you have "received" lead to "believe" lead to "born of God".

The Apostle John wrote "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God" (John 1:12-13).

Let's follow John's blessed chain linking these people:
  • John starts with the full population of the planet "He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him" (John 1:10) as he builds toward the source of holiness which is "born of God" (John 1:13).
  • John narrows the population to Israel only "He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him" (John 1:11).
  • John further narrows the focus to a sub-population of Israel "but as many as received Him" (John 1:12)
  • John equates the population of "but as many as received Him" (John 1:12) with the population of "children of God" (John 1:12) as he builds toward the source of holiness, that is, "born of God" (John 1:13).
  • John further equates the population of "children of God" (John 1:12) with the population of "believe in His name" increasing tempo about the source of holiness being"born of God" (John 1:13).
  • John arrives at the source of holiness for every single one of us saints (holy ones) which is being "born of God" (John 1:13).

John's Good Message narrows the focus then he further narrows the focus then he further narrows the focus then further narrowing onward, so we can expand the focus starting with John's primary foundational point moving toward the secondary larger point and then the tertiary broader point and so on.

John's primary foundational point is "born of God" (John 1:13, John 3:3-8) which results in John's secondary point of "believe in His name" (John 1:12, John 6:29) and "children of God" (John 1:12, John 3:3-8) and "many as received Him" (John 1:12, John 9) which has implications for John's tertiary point "His own did not receive Him" (John 1:11) which arrives at John's opening, broadest point which is the fact that "born of God" (John 1:13, John 3:3-8) does not include everybody in "the world" (John 1:10).
Wrong all that believe are given the power to become the children of god

John 1:12 (ESV) — 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,

Children is tekna (borns ones)

All that believe are given the right to become born ones of God

it is regeneration which makes one Child of God born from above or born again

(5) The “children of God.”—Those who are “begotten of God” are ipso facto “children of God” (tékna theoú, Jn 1:12; 11:52; 1 Jn 3:1, 2, 10; 5:2).1

1 R. Law, “Johannine, Theology, The,” ed. James Orr et al., The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia (Chicago: The Howard-Severance Company, 1915), 1703.

CHILDREN OF GOD. Persons in this category are only those who of the fallen race are regenerated as a result of faith in Christ1

1 Merrill F. Unger, “Children of God,” ed. R.K. Harrison, The New Unger’s Bible Dictionary (Chicago: Moody Press, 1988).

Children of God (tekna theou). In the full spiritual sense, not as mere offspring of God true of all men (Acts 17:28). Paul's phrase huioi theou (Galatians 3:26) for believers, used also by Jesus of the pure in heart (Matthew 5:9), does not occur in John's Gospel (but in Rev. 21:7). It is possible that John prefers ta tekna tou theou for the spiritual children of God whether Jew or Gentile (John 11:52) because of the community of nature (teknon from root tek-, to beget). But one cannot follow Westcott in insisting on "adoption" as Paul's reason for the use of huioi since Jesus uses huioi theou in Matthew 5:9. Clearly the idea of regeneration is involved here as in John 3:3.
A.T, Robertson Word Pictures in the New Testament.

Vincent agrees

Sons (τέκνα)

Rev., more correctly, children. Son is υἱός. Τέκνον, child (τίκτω, to bring forth), denotes a relation based on community of nature
Word Studies in the New Testament.

John has the "born of God" as the first and primary position.

John indicates that God causes man to believe in Jesus in John 1:12-13 because neither "believe" nor "born of God" are "of the will of man (John 1:13).
nope God causes man to be born again when they receive Christ

it is man actively receiving Christ

Man does not even get the right to that until he recieves Christ

That right is conferred upon reception of Christ

And as the right precedes the granting the reception of Christ precedes the being born again

Paul shows this to be the case

Galatians 3:26 (KJV 1900) — 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

James 1:18 says not that man's believing proceeds man being born of God, so you adulterate "Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (James 1:18) into "Of his own will he brought us ACCORDING TO OUR OWN WILL BELIEVING the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (the heart of TomL).
That speaks of the act of regeneration

Men who believe are regenerated as unbelief does not benefit

Hebrews 4:2 (KJV 1900) — 2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

and Paul already informed

Galatians 3:26 (KJV 1900) — 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 4:15 says not that man's believing proceeds man being born of God, so you adulterate "For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel" (1 Corinthians 4:15) into "For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you BY YOUR WAY OF YOUR OWN INITIATIVE JUDGING RIGHT TO CAUSE YOURSELF TO BELIEVE the gospel" (the heart of TomL).

sorry try again

The gospel presentation clearly precedes the being born of god

for as we saw

Men who believe are regenerated as unbelief does not benefit

Hebrews 4:2 (KJV 1900) — 2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

1 Peter 1:23–25 says not that man's believing proceeds man being born of God, so your own interpretation is deception.

sorry you are the source of the only deception here

It is through the gospel men are born again

not in unbelief for

nbelief does not benefit

John 3:9–15 says not that man's believing proceeds man being born of God, in fact, every single mention of saving faith (believe) in John 3:9-15 is governed by the Christ of us Christians saying “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29), but you heart adulterates the very Word of God into your own interpretation of:

Sorry you have been twisting that verse as even other calvinists show

Verse 29
5. Men torment themselves in vain when they try to please God without faith.
g. That is, this is the work that God requires, that you believe in me, and therefore he calls them back to faith.

Geneva Bible Notes (1599). (Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2003), Jn 6:28–29.

Your anti-contextual interpretation was clearly refuted here

Jesus just answered Nicodemus, who asked how can these things be (how can one be born again)

His answer is to believe

John 3:14–15 (KJV 1900) — 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

You must pretend Jesus did not answer his question and twist the scriptures repeating the same refuted arguments

Back
Top Bottom