An Article on free will

Unlike you we believe Paul that we are saved by grace though faith . Faith is always the condition for man to be saved from all 66 books. Try reading Hebrews 11 sometime which confirms that truth.

hope this helps !!!

Faith/belief is the condition set upon man by God of which said faith/belief is entirely the work of God in man for thus says the Christ of us Christians “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29).

No place in the book of Hebrews states that "Man chooses to believe in Christ" (the word of civic as recorded post #1,765), so your thoughts are out of accord with Holy Scripture.

Your heart makes false statements about God. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE CHRIST'S HOLY NAME!!!

Faith/belief is the condition set upon man by God of which said faith/belief is entirely the work of God in man for thus says the Christ of us Christians “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29).

No place in the book of Hebrews states that "Man chooses to believe in Christ" (the word of civic as recorded post #1,765), so your thoughts are out of accord with Holy Scripture.

Your heart makes false statements about God. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE CHRIST'S HOLY NAME!!!
You continue to misinterpreting John 6:29, ignoring all evidence to the contrary. Evidence from both Calvinist and scholarly Greek exegetes

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Believe. Faith is put as a moral act or work. The work of God is to believe. Faith includes all the works which God requires. The Jews’ question contemplates numerous works. Jesus’ answer directs them to one work. Canon Westcott justly observes that “this simple formula contains the complete solution of the relation of faith and works.”11 Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament (vol. 2; New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887), 148–149.

The meaning is not,—that faith is wrought in us by God, is the work of God; but that the truest way of working the work of God is to believe on Him whom He hath sent.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 761.

Messianic work.

28. τί ποιῶμεν …; What must we do (v. 5) that we may work? Perhaps they understood Him to mean that they must earn what they desire; certainly they see that Christ’s words have a moral meaning; they must do the works required by God. But how?

29. τὸ ἔργον. They probably thought of works of the law, tithes, sacrifices, &c. He tells them of one work, one moral act, from which all the rest derive their value, continuous belief (πιστεύητε, not πιστεύσητε) in Him whom God has sent. Comp. Acts 16:31. On ἵνα and ἀπέστειλεν see on 1:8, 33, 4:47, 17:3.1

1 A. Plummer, The Gospel according to S. John (Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1896), 155.

τὰ ἔργα τοῦ θεοῦ must not be taken to mean ‘the works which God works,’ but, as in Jer. 48:10 (31:10 LXX): 1 Cor. 15:58, the works well pleasing to God.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 760–761.

You also ignore verse 28 where the works of God is that which God requires

John 6:28 (KJV 1900) — 28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

The works of God is that which they must do.

You continue to misinterpreting John 6:29, ignoring all evidence to the contrary. Evidence from both Calvinist and scholarly Greek exegetes

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Believe. Faith is put as a moral act or work. The work of God is to believe. Faith includes all the works which God requires. The Jews’ question contemplates numerous works. Jesus’ answer directs them to one work. Canon Westcott justly observes that “this simple formula contains the complete solution of the relation of faith and works.”11 Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament (vol. 2; New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887), 148–149.

The meaning is not,—that faith is wrought in us by God, is the work of God; but that the truest way of working the work of God is to believe on Him whom He hath sent.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 761.

Messianic work.

28. τί ποιῶμεν …; What must we do (v. 5) that we may work? Perhaps they understood Him to mean that they must earn what they desire; certainly they see that Christ’s words have a moral meaning; they must do the works required by God. But how?

29. τὸ ἔργον. They probably thought of works of the law, tithes, sacrifices, &c. He tells them of one work, one moral act, from which all the rest derive their value, continuous belief (πιστεύητε, not πιστεύσητε) in Him whom God has sent. Comp. Acts 16:31. On ἵνα and ἀπέστειλεν see on 1:8, 33, 4:47, 17:3.1

1 A. Plummer, The Gospel according to S. John (Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1896), 155.

τὰ ἔργα τοῦ θεοῦ must not be taken to mean ‘the works which God works,’ but, as in Jer. 48:10 (31:10 LXX): 1 Cor. 15:58, the works well pleasing to God.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 760–761.

You also ignore verse 28 where the works of God is that which God requires

John 6:28 (KJV 1900) — 28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

The works of God is that which they must do.
Lol there is nothing like quoting Calvin to refute a calvinist.

John 6:29 ripped out from the entire context of Johns gospel does not refute the dozens upon dozens of other passages saying Faith is the condition placed upon man by God for salvation. Man chooses to believe or reject the gospel.

You make false statements about God ,faith and salvation.

Determinism as you believe and teach is paganism and greek philosophy.

hope this helps !!!
Gnosticism. The Manichean gnostics were determinists

They the people asked Christ what work THEY were to do in response to his statement that they WERE to do a certain type of work,

Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life John 6:27

Jesus said they were laboring! But they were laboring for food! He didn't tell them they were not to labor or work but rather he told them what they were to labor and work for! Their work, NOT God's was to be a labor of faith or their work of believing.

To try to say as you do that when Jesus said this is the work of God that they believe WHEN HE ALREADY TOLD THEM it was something THEY would need to do twists and distorts the clear meaning of words and scripture. And you also KNOW that you'd never use words you do in the REAL world either given he has already TOLD them THEY were to do a certain type of work.

So they asked him what exactly was the work they were to do and he told them the work they were to do. How about you stop trying to say otherwise?
Calvinism cannot be supported by a consistent application of context

The people asked/injected their own work into the wrong place respecting salvation when they inquired "What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God" (John 6:28), yet Christ rightly removed man's work from anyplace respecting salvation when He responded "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29).

Thus is Christ's powerful precious proclamation for we Christians!!!

Rockson, God has had me calmly engage self-willed, Holy Majesty reviling people (2 Peter 2:9-10) who yell and get violent face-to-face, so your "you also KNOW that you'd never use words you do in the REAL world" is you bearing false witness. We'll see if you are capable of repentance and apology.

TomL, you are quite preoccupied with Calvinism; in contrast, as far as we Christians are concerned, our heart is enraptured in Christ Jesus our Lord and God who causes us to believe in the Son whom the Father has sent which is fruit of the Spirit of the Living God (Galatians 5:22). All glory to God alone for the salvation of man, amen!

Both of you corrupt the pure Word of God in your hearts such that "This is NOT the work of God BUT IT IS THE WORK OF MAN, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (2 Opinions 6:29 by TomL and Rockson).

The Lord eliminates free will of man discerning the very Righteousness of God when He posed "And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right?" (Luke 12:57), so man's will is incapable of determining the "choosing" of God unto salvation; in reality, Christ alone chooses man unto salvation (John 15:16, John 15:19) with man being the blessed recipient of God's great work. Mere man is not superior to Jesus the Lord who says "Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner'" (John 5:19) and again He mentions initiative in "I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 5:30); on the other hand, self-willed free-willians (2 Peter 2:9-10) think they choose the Righteous One by their own initiative thus they deny the Word of God "And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right?" (Luke 12:57) and the free-willian philosophers heartily believe they are superior to Christ.

The Word of God explicitly excludes man from being able to choose God unto salvation with Christ's powerful:
  • "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:16), so God chooses people to be friends (John 15:15, the prior verse) and to believe (John 6:29) and to be born again (John 3:3-8) and for righteous works (John 3:21, John 15:5) and to repent (Matthew 11:25) and to love (John 13:34) and unto salvation (John 15:19 the same passage).
  • "I chose you out of the world" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:19, includes salvation), so God exclusively chooses people unto salvation.
  • "What I say to you I say to all" (Lord Jesus Christ, Mark 13:37 - Jesus had taken the Apostles Peter, Andrew, James, and John aside in private and said this), so all the blessings of God mentioned above are to all believers in all time.
The only way for free-willian philosophers to acheive free-will is for free-willians to add to the Word of God, and it is written "do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar" (Proverbs 30:6).

We Christians are blessed of God to be chosen by Lord Jesus without us being required to do any kind of work because the Word of God says "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:16) and "I chose you out of the world" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:19, includes salvation)! PRAISE BE TO THE LAMB OF GOD!!!

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!!!

The people asked/injected their own work into the wrong place respecting salvation when they inquired "What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God" (John 6:28), yet Christ rightly removed man's work from anyplace respecting salvation when He responded "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29).

Rockson, God has had me calmly engage self-willed, Holy Majesty reviling people (2 Peter 2:9-10) who yell and get violent face-to-face, so your "you also KNOW that you'd never use words you do in the REAL world" is you bearing false witness. We'll see if you are capable of repentance and apology.

TomL, you are quite preoccupied with Calvinism; in contrast, as far as we Christians are concerned, our heart is enraptured in Christ Jesus our Lord and God who causes us to believe in the Son whom the Father has sent which is fruit of the Spirit of the Living God (Galatians 5:22). All glory to God alone for the salvation of man, amen!

Both of you corrupt the pure Word of God in your hearts such that "This is NOT the work of God BUT IT IS THE WORK OF MAN, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (2 Opinions 6:29 by TomL and Rockson).

The Lord eliminates free will of man discerning the very Righteousness of God when He posed "And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right?" (Luke 12:57), so man's will is incapable of determining the "choosing" of God unto salvation; in reality, Christ alone chooses man unto salvation (John 15:16, John 15:19) with man being the blessed recipient of God's great work. Mere man is not superior to Jesus the Lord who says "Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner'" (John 5:19) and again He mentions initiative in "I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 5:30); on the other hand, self-willed free-willians (2 Peter 2:9-10) think they choose the Righteous One by their own initiative thus they deny the Word of God "And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right?" (Luke 12:57) and the free-willian philosophers heartily believe they are superior to Christ.

The Word of God explicitly excludes man from being able to choose God unto salvation with Christ's powerful:
  • "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:16), so God chooses people to be friends (John 15:15, the prior verse) and to believe (John 6:29) and to be born again (John 3:3-8) and for righteous works (John 3:21, John 15:5) and to repent (Matthew 11:25) and to love (John 13:34) and unto salvation (John 15:19 the same passage).
  • "I chose you out of the world" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:19, includes salvation), so God exclusively chooses people unto salvation.
  • "What I say to you I say to all" (Lord Jesus Christ, Mark 13:37 - Jesus had taken the Apostles Peter, Andrew, James, and John aside in private and said this), so all the blessings of God mentioned above are to all believers in all time.
The only way for free-willian philosophers to acheive free-will is for free-willians to add to the Word of God, and it is written "do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar" (Proverbs 30:6).

We Christians are blessed of God to be chosen by Lord Jesus without us being required to do any kind of work because the Word of God says "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:16) and "I chose you out of the world" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:19, includes salvation)! PRAISE BE TO THE LAMB OF GOD!!!

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!!!

Amen.

Jesus is talking to the 12 as being chosen by Him not everyone.

More eisegesis. The context and sound exegesis refutes your false claims.

The people asked/injected their own work into the wrong place
THEY DID NOT and when you do start quoting the passage you start at verse 28! You willfully are skipping past verse 27 and I'm not going to let you get away with it. Here's verse 27 below what Jesus said them NOT THEY, Jesus said it,

Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life John 6:27

He told them there was a certain type of work they were to do and it was the work of faith so stop trying to twist the passage and say it wasn't so!

yet Christ rightly removed man's work from anyplace respecting salvation when He responded "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29).
As I said you're twisting the passage! He told them there was a certain work THEY WERE to do (verse 27) they asked him in response to what HE SAID, what is the work we shall do to do the work of God and he told them in verse 29. The work of God (that they were to do) (keeping in line with the passage) was to believe. That was the work THEY were to do. Please stop saying otherwise.

We'll see if you are capable of repentance and apology.
From what I've said in these posts you'll get no apology from me and lets see if you'll repent towards God and ask his forgiveness for willfully and blatantly skipping past the context of the passage. You do need to do so you know. You never even put down the introductory statement of Jesus on the Jn 6: 27, 29 passage and quite frankly I have a hard time believing you can't see the proper context....but you don't want it that way. Read again verse 27....VERSE 27.
Both of you corrupt the pure Word of God
I did no such thing. You refused to read the verse 27 of the Jn 6 passage. I'm content to have Jesus tell you some day that's what you did and doing so was inexcusable. I'm trusting and hoping you'll change your way.

Repeating yourself and ignoring context does not make for a strong argument

Verse 28 defines for us the works of God

John 6:28 (NASB 2020) — 28 Therefore they said to Him, “What are we to do, so that we may accomplish the works of God?”

as what are we to do'

. What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? That is, such things as God will approve. This was the earnest inquiry of men who were seeking to be saved. They had crossed the Sea of Tiberias to seek him; they supposed him to be the Messiah, and they sincerely desired to be taught the way of life; yet it is observable that they expected to find that way as other sinners commonly do—by their works. The idea of doing something to merit salvation is one of the last that the sinner ever surrenders.

Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Messianic work.

and of course in reference to John 15:16

Christ's disciples were given to him by the Father

John 17:6–12 (NASB 2020) — 6 “I have revealed Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have followed Your word. 7 Now they have come to know that everything which You have given Me is from You; 8 for the words which You gave Me I have given to them; and they received them and truly understood that I came forth from You, and they believed that You sent Me. 9 I ask on their behalf; I do not ask on behalf of the world, but on the behalf of those whom You have given Me, because they are Yours; 10 and all things that are Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine; and I have been glorified in them. 11 I am no longer going to be in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I am coming to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, so that they may be one just as We are. 12 While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name, which You have given Me; and I guarded them, and not one of them perished except the son of destruction, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled.

He did not choose them

Rather, from that group he chose his apostles

Ye have not chosen me. The word here translated chosen is that from which is derived the word elect, and means the same thing. It is frequently thus translated, Mar. 13:20; Mat. 24:22, 24, 31; Col. 3:12. It refers here, doubtless, to his choosing or electing them to be apostles. He says that it was not because they had chosen him to be their teacher and guide, but because he had designated them to be his apostles. See Jn. 6:70; also Mat. 4:18–22.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 341.

But I chose you (ἀλλʼ ἐγω ἐξελεξαμην ὑμας [all’ egō exelexamēn humas]). First aorist middle indicative of ἐκλεγω [eklegō]. See this same verb and tense used for the choice of the disciples (apostles) by Christ (6:70; 13:18; 15:19). Jesus recognizes his own responsibility in the choice after a night of prayer (Luke 6:13).11 A.T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament (Nashville, TN: Broadman Press, 1933), Jn 15:16.

12 In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God. 13 And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles: 14 Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, 15 and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon who was called the Zealot, 16 and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor11 The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Lk 6:12–16.

True, the subject now in hand is not the ordinary election of believers, by which they are adopted to be the children of God, but that special election, by which he set apart his disciples to the office of preaching the Gospel11 John Calvin and William Pringle, Commentary on the Gospel according to John (vol. 2; Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2010), 119.

16. οὐχ ὑμεῖς. Not ye chose Me, but I chose you. Ὑμεῖς and ἐγώ are emphatic. Ἐκλέγειν refers to their election to be Apostles (6:70, 13:18; Acts 1:2); therefore the aorist as referring to a definite act in the past should be preserved. So also ἔθηκα, I appointed you, i. e. assigned you to a definite post, as in 2 Tim. 1:11; Heb. 1:2. This is better than ‘I ordained,’ as A. V. here and 1 Tim. 2:7, ‘ordain’ having become a technical term in ecclesiastical language. Comp. Acts 13:47, 20:28; 1 Cor. 12:28. The repetition of ὑμεῖς throughout the verse emphasizes the personal responsibility of the Apostles.11 A. Plummer, The Gospel according to S. John (Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1896), 286.

In John 15:16, Jesus is not talking about choosing people to salvation, nor is he speaking generally of believers. Rather, he is talking specifically of picking his apostles and preparing them for their ministry, all of which Jesus accomplished during his earthly ministry. There is nothing here about selecting people for salvation before creation.
Smelley, Hutson. Deconstructing Calvinism: A Biblical Analysis and Refutation (p. 184). Hutson Smelley. Kindle Edition.

Three other times we read of Christ choosing

Each time it refers to choosing his apostles

John 6:70 (ESV) — 70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve? And yet one of you is a devil.”
John 13:18 (ESV) — 18 I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But the Scripture will be fulfilled, ‘He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.’
day

you have ignored the overall context of scripture and isolated John 15:16 to propagate your theology

They the people asked Christ what work THEY were to do in response to his statement that they WERE to do a certain type of work,

Jesus said they were laboring! But they were laboring for food! He didn't tell them they were not to labor or work but rather he told them what they were to labor and work for! Their work, NOT God's was to be a labor of faith or their work of believing.

To try to say as you do that when Jesus said this is the work of God that they believe WHEN HE ALREADY TOLD THEM it was something THEY would need to do twists and distorts the clear meaning of words and scripture. And you also KNOW that you'd never use words you do in the REAL world either given he has already TOLD them THEY were to do a certain type of work.

So they asked him what exactly was the work they were to do and he told them the work they were to do. How about you stop trying to say otherwise?
Indeed Kermos's handling ignores context

In verse 27 they were told to labor to work ἐργάζομαι in the greek

In verse 28 they ask what might we do to work ἐργάζομαι the works (ἔργον) of God

The works of God is a reference to the work God asks of them. It does not refer to what God does

in verse 29 we have the noun form of the greek listed above ἔργον - This is the work (ἔργον) of God

It is the same word in verse 28 in the phrase works of God ἔργον

And Jesus is telling them what they must do - Believe on him who God sent

Indeed Kermos's handling ignores context

In verse 27 they were told to labor to work ἐργάζομαι in the greek

In verse 28 they ask what might we do to work ἐργάζομαι the works (ἔργον) of God

The works of God is a reference to the work God asks of them. It does not refer to what God does

in verse 29 we have the noun form of the greek listed above ἔργον - This is the work (ἔργον) of God

There may be an odd verse Calvinists use that I can understand how they might be confused over and need a correct understanding of. Not with Jn 6:27, 29 though. To me that seems like a willful, and on purpose attempt to twist the clear meaning of the passage (starting from vs 27) Here's hoping they won't harden their hearts and close their eyes to the obvious and self evident. It is as you said above Tom.....Jesus telling THEM what THEY must do. Believe on him who God sent.

THEY DID NOT and when you do start quoting the passage you start at verse 28! You willfully are skipping past verse 27 and I'm not going to let you get away with it. Here's verse 27 below what Jesus said them NOT THEY, Jesus said it,

He told them there was a certain type of work they were to do and it was the work of faith so stop trying to twist the passage and say it wasn't so!

As I said you're twisting the passage! He told them there was a certain work THEY WERE to do (verse 27) they asked him in response to what HE SAID, what is the work we shall do to do the work of God and he told them in verse 29. The work of God (that they were to do) (keeping in line with the passage) was to believe. That was the work THEY were to do. Please stop saying otherwise.

From what I've said in these posts you'll get no apology from me and lets see if you'll repent towards God and ask his forgiveness for willfully and blatantly skipping past the context of the passage. You do need to do so you know. You never even put down the introductory statement of Jesus on the Jn 6: 27, 29 passage and quite frankly I have a hard time believing you can't see the proper context....but you don't want it that way. Read again verse 27....VERSE 27.

I did no such thing. You refused to read the verse 27 of the Jn 6 passage. I'm content to have Jesus tell you some day that's what you did and doing so was inexcusable. I'm trusting and hoping you'll change your way.
Yes notice the cherry picked verses ripped from their context with a bunch of presumptions thrown into the mix as if that’s what the Bible actually teaches. Calvinism hinges on eisegesis and isolating verses and giving words different meanings. Such as dead, world , elect , sovereign, Israel, regeneration , faith , depravity etc …. It’s the exact same method of eisegesis JWs use to try and disprove the Trinity , deity of Christ and the resurrection. Ripping passages from their context and changing the meaning of biblical words to fit their man made doctrines.

There may be an odd verse Calvinists use that I can understand how they might be confused over and need a correct understanding of. Not with Jn 6:27, 29 though. To me that seems like a willful, and on purpose attempt to twist the clear meaning of the passage (starting from vs 27) Here's hoping they won't harden their hearts and close their eyes to the obvious and self evident. It is as you said above Tom.....Jesus telling THEM what THEY must do. Believe on him who God sent.
Calvinism depends on verses being isolated from their context

James White in his debate with Leighton Flowers did the same while accusing Leighton of jumping around.

You're insisting that Jesus is somehow required to answer them according to their question. He is under no such obligation. He answered correctly. This is the work OF GOD, that you believe on whom He has sent.

It's like:

"Dad, how long will it take us to walk to school?"
"I'm driving you there."

You're insisting that Jesus is somehow required to answer them according to their question. He is under no such obligation. He answered correctly. This is the work OF GOD, that you believe on whom He has sent.

It's like:

"I'm driving you there."
Context refutes you

In verse 27 they were told to labor to work ἐργάζομαι in the greek by Jesus who is telling them there is something they must do

Your example is a poor parallel and it is not rational that after telling them there is something they must do, he then turns around and tells them there is nothing they must do and that God does it.

Your explanation ignores context

You're insisting that Jesus is somehow required to answer them according to their question.
You're failing to appreciate and admit their question was born from what he had already told them THEY needed to do. Now stop reading verse 28, 29 and read where it started ...verse 27!

It's like:

"I'm driving you there."
So your "Dad how long" statement would be vs 28 the way you're saying it.
Your "I'm driving you" would be verse 29. Big problem for you though verse 27 doesn't say he was doing the driving! He was saying THEY had to do the work (or driving as you would call it) ....and that is the work of believing.....the work of faith was there's to do NOT GOD'S. Read 27!

Back
Top Bottom