An Article on free will

Lovely, you quoted absolutely lovely Word of God!

Lord Jesus orates preciously wonderful words "The faith of you has saved you; go in peace" (Luke 7:50, and see attached image), and, behold, no parentheticals such as your "( I have given you )", so you rightly excluded me from the group called Calvinists. I am a Christian for I believe In Christ!

Did you know that "your faith" in Luke 7:50 is truly "the faith of you" according to original Greek?

Did you know that all similar English translation occurrences, such as "his faith", are likewise, such as "the faith of him" according to original Greek without exception?

Consider the phrase "the God of you", now reflect on the phrase "the faith of you".

The "you" in the phrases does NOT control God nor faith.

In reality, faith/belief controls us disciples because God's working in us to will and to work for God's good pleasure (Philippians 2:13).

God controls us Christians by God's grace for God's glory.

Faith/Belief is a fruit of the Spirit of God (Galatians 5:22), so a person's saving faith/belief is the work of God in His awesome Power as illumines Holy words of:

This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent

(The Word of God, John 6:29)

Thus the following remains Truth (John 14:6).

You wrote "faith is not the work of God", yet you replied to a post in which Lord Jesus is quoted specifically declaring that a person's saving faith/belief is the work of God in His awesome and Holy words of:
This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent
(The Word of God, John 6:29)​

But, you didn't stop there for you continued with "You contradict Jesus teaching on faith" when all I did was quote Jesus, so you bear false witness against me.

There is still more of crucial import. When your heart conveyed "faith is not the work of God" in conjunction with your thoughts of "You contradict Jesus teaching on faith", then you are truly conveying "This is NOT the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent[/" (the word of civic the admin).

Your heart makes false statements about God. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!!!
John 6:29 ripped out from the entire context of Johns gospel does not refute the dozens upon dozens of other passages saying Faith is the condition placed upon man by God for salvation. Man chooses to believe or reject the gospel.

You make false statements about God ,faith and salvation.

Determinism as you believe and teach is paganism and greek philosophy.

hope this helps !!!

John 6:29 ripped out from the entire context of Johns gospel does not refute the dozens upon dozens of other passages saying Faith is the condition placed upon man by God for salvation. Man chooses to believe or reject the gospel.

hope this helps !!!
It's like a traffic light. The best thing to do is to stop when it's red. That's a good choice. Or you can ignore it and plow right through the intersection. The consequences of that action can be catastrophic. By faith in my driving skills I believe I can obey the traffic laws.

Sorry you have shown nothing at all to rebut the fact Augustine had belonged to gnostic groups previous to his conversion

Augustine's position is irrelevant.

Christ is the firstborn of God's Ecclesia, and Christ and the Father are One, so here is the Father that matters!

Sorry this is false I did not call you a gnostic unbeliever

You conveyed your thoughts that I am an Gnostic unbeliever.

The True Grammar of Ephesians 2:8-10

Fully examined in post #1,741 in Truth (John 14:6), but here is the critical summary.

The Apostle Paul wrote:

by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast for we are His work
(Ephesians 2:8-10)

Essentially, the principle of Greek grammar word order antecedent placement (adjacent words) results in the fact that the phrase "faith and that not of yourselves" is specifically stating that faith is not of man while at the same time specifically stating faith is truly the work of God because of "it is the gift of God" and the Apostle states "we are His work! Praise be to Jesus!

The Apostle Paul is in accord with Lord Jesus Christ's sayings of "This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29).

Your heart makes false statements about the Sovereign Holy God. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE BE TO THE SAVIOR ONE AND HOLY GOD, JESUS!!!

Augustine's position is irrelevant.

Christ is the firstborn of God's Ecclesia, and Christ and the Father are One, so here is the Father that matters!

You conveyed your thoughts that I am an Gnostic unbeliever.

The True Grammar of Ephesians 2:8-10

Fully examined in post #1,741 in Truth (John 14:6), but here is the critical summary.

The Apostle Paul wrote:
by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast for we are His work

Essentially, the principle of Greek grammar word order antecedent placement (adjacent words) results in the fact that the phrase "faith and that not of yourselves" is specifically stating that faith is not of man while at the same time specifically stating faith is truly the work of God because of "it is the gift of God" and the Apostle states "we are His work! Praise be to Jesus!

The Apostle Paul is in accord with Lord Jesus Christ's sayings of "This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29).

Your heart makes false statements about the Sovereign Holy God. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE BE TO THE SAVIOR ONE AND HOLY GOD, JESUS!!!
Still a repeat

https://berean-apologetics.community.forum/threads/an-article-on-free-will.1287/post-67491

and i never implied you were an unbeliever

hope this helps !!!

Your very first sentence is absolutely false because the Truth (John 14:6) is that the "believe" recorded in John 3:16 and every other location in the Bible regarding saving faith/belief is constrained by the Christ of us Christians with His loving declaration “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29) in response to the people who asked Jesus “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God” (John 6:28); therefore, Lord Jesus eliminates “the works of man” (John 6:28) entirely from consideration with His Powerful response “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29), so man does not work faith/belief inside of man thus causing man to believe in Lord Jesus, but God does work faith/belief inside of man thus causing man to believe in Lord Jesus (John 6:28-29).

Your "Man chooses to believe in Christ" (the word of civic) is your heart adding to the Word of God resulting in the newly formed “This is NOT the work of God BUT IS THE WORK OF MAN that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (the resultant word of civic).

The Apostle Paul is in accord with Jesus saying that God controls saving faith/belief inside of man with absolutely no input by man:

by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast, for we are His work
(Ephesians 2:8-10).

Your "Man chooses to believe in Christ" (the word of civic) is out of accord with the Apostle Paul further attributing saving belief/faith to fruit of the Spirit of the Living God (Galatians 5:22).

You provided absolutely no Holy Scripture which states that "Man chooses to believe in Christ" (the word of civic) because in order to achieve your heart's treasure you must nullify "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:16) as well as "I chose you out of the world" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:19), includes salvation) as well as "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 6:29) as well as "What I say to you I say to all" (Lord Jesus Christ, Mark 13:37 - Jesus had taken the Apostles Peter, Andrew, James, and John aside in private and said this - relationship verse John 15:20).

Your heart makes false statements about God. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!!!

/

hope this helps !!!

Faith IS a condition placed on man by God. God doesn't zap faith into His elect. He gives us eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart to understand. Once we are made aware of the truth, belief is the unavoidable result. Faith follows as a result of the Holy Spirit.

Your very first sentence is absolutely false because the Truth (John 14:6) is that the "believe" recorded in John 3:16 and every other location in the Bible regarding saving faith/belief is constrained by the Christ of us Christians with His loving declaration “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29) in response to the people who asked Jesus “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God” (John 6:28); therefore, Lord Jesus eliminates “the works of man” (John 6:28) entirely from consideration with His Powerful response “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29), so man does not work faith/belief inside of man thus causing man to believe in Lord Jesus, but God does work faith/belief inside of man thus causing man to believe in Lord Jesus (John 6:28-29).

Your "Man chooses to believe in Christ" (the word of civic) is your heart adding to the Word of God resulting in the newly formed “This is NOT the work of God BUT IS THE WORK OF MAN that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (the resultant word of civic).

The Apostle Paul is in accord with Jesus saying that God controls saving faith/belief inside of man with absolutely no input by man:
by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast, for we are His work
(Ephesians 2:8-10).​

Your "Man chooses to believe in Christ" (the word of civic) is out of accord with the Apostle Paul further attributing saving belief/faith to fruit of the Spirit of the Living God (Galatians 5:22).

You provided absolutely no Holy Scripture which states that "Man chooses to believe in Christ" (the word of civic) because in order to achieve your heart's treasure you must nullify "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:16) as well as "I chose you out of the world" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 15:19), includes salvation) as well as "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (Lord Jesus Christ, John 6:29) as well as "What I say to you I say to all" (Lord Jesus Christ, Mark 13:37 - Jesus had taken the Apostles Peter, Andrew, James, and John aside in private and said this - relationship verse John 15:20).

/
repeat claims

(Ephesians 2:8-10).​

/
Simply repeating your claims while ignoring rebuttal is not the way to prove anything

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Believe. Faith is put as a moral act or work. The work of God is to believe. Faith includes all the works which God requires. The Jews’ question contemplates numerous works. Jesus’ answer directs them to one work. Canon Westcott justly observes that “this simple formula contains the complete solution of the relation of faith and works.”11 Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament (vol. 2; New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887), 148–149.

The meaning is not,—that faith is wrought in us by God, is the work of God; but that the truest way of working the work of God is to believe on Him whom He hath sent.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 761.

But I chose you (ἀλλʼ ἐγω ἐξελεξαμην ὑμας [all’ egō exelexamēn humas]). First aorist middle indicative of ἐκλεγω [eklegō]. See this same verb and tense used for the choice of the disciples by Christ (6:70; 13:18; 15:19). Jesus recognizes his own responsibility in the choice after a night of prayer (Luke 6:13).11 A.T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament (Nashville, TN: Broadman Press, 1933), Jn 15:16.

12 In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God. 13 And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles: 14 Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, 15 and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon who was called the Zealot, 16 and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor11 The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Lk 6:12–16.

True, the subject now in hand is not the ordinary election of believers, by which they are adopted to be the children of God, but that special election, by which he set apart his disciples to the office of preaching the Gospel11 John Calvin and William Pringle, Commentary on the Gospel according to John (vol. 2; Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2010), 119.

In John 15:16, Jesus is not talking about choosing people to salvation, nor is he speaking generally of believers. Rather, he is talking specifically of picking his apostles and preparing them for their ministry, all of which Jesus accomplished during his earthly ministry. There is nothing here about selecting people for salvation before creation.

Smelley, Hutson. Deconstructing Calvinism: A Biblical Analysis and Refutation (p. 184). Hutson Smelley. Kindle Edition.

Christ did not choose his disciples. Rather, they were given to him by the Father.

John 17:6–8 (NASB 2020) — 6 “I have revealed Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have followed Your word. 7 Now they have come to know that everything which You have given Me is from You; 8 for the words which You gave Me I have given to them; and they received them and truly understood that I came forth from You, and they believed that You sent Me.

From those given to him, he chose 12 to be apostles

Luke 6:12–13 (NASB 2020) — 12 Now it was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer with God. 13 And when day came, He called His disciples to Him and chose twelve of them, whom He also named as apostles:

Why are you continually ignoring this

The choice was not to salvation

John 6:70–71 (NASB 2020) — 70 Jesus answered them, “Did I Myself not choose you, the twelve? And yet one of you is a devil.” 71 Now He meant Judas the son of Simon Iscariot; for he, one of the twelve, was going to betray Him.

And once again the Choice was shown to be of the apostles

You simply cannot use Christ choice of his apostles as a proof text for unconditional election

g

Faith IS a condition placed on man by God. God doesn't zap faith into His elect. He gives us eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart to understand. Once we are made aware of the truth, belief is the unavoidable result. Faith follows as a result of the Holy Spirit.
Sorry, one must have faith before one receives the spirit and his fruit

John 7:38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Gal. 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?

Gal. 3:5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith—

Gal. 3:14 so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.

Gal. 3:22 But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

Eph. 3:17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love,

John 14:16–17 (NASB 2020) — 16 “I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, so that He may be with you forever; 17 the Helper is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him; but you know Him because He remains with you and will be in you.

why is Calvinism speak contrary to scripture?

What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God” (John 6:28); therefore, Lord Jesus eliminates “the works of man” (John 6:28) entirely from consideration with His Powerful response “This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29), so man does not work faith/belief inside of man thus causing man to believe in Lord Jesus, but God does work faith/belief inside of man thus causing man to believe in Lord Jesus (John 6:28-29).
They the people asked Christ what work THEY were to do in response to his statement that they WERE to do a certain type of work,

Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life John 6:27

Jesus said they were laboring! But they were laboring for food! He didn't tell them they were not to labor or work but rather he told them what they were to labor and work for! Their work, NOT God's was to be a labor of faith or their work of believing.

To try to say as you do that when Jesus said this is the work of God that they believe WHEN HE ALREADY TOLD THEM it was something THEY would need to do twists and distorts the clear meaning of words and scripture. And you also KNOW that you'd never use words you do in the REAL world either given he has already TOLD them THEY were to do a certain type of work.

So they asked him what exactly was the work they were to do and he told them the work they were to do. How about you stop trying to say otherwise?

They the people asked Christ what work THEY were to do in response to his statement that they WERE to do a certain type of work,

Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life John 6:27

Jesus said they were laboring! But they were laboring for food! He didn't tell them they were not to labor or work but rather he told them what they were to labor and work for! Their work, NOT God's was to be a labor of faith or their work of believing.

To try to say as you do that when Jesus said this is the work of God that they believe WHEN HE ALREADY TOLD THEM it was something THEY would need to do twists and distorts the clear meaning of words and scripture. And you also KNOW that you'd never use words you do in the REAL world either given he has already TOLD them THEY were to do a certain type of work.

So they asked him what exactly was the work they were to do and he told them the work they were to do. How about you stop trying to say otherwise?
Calvinism cannot be supported by a consistent application of context

The cumulative word of TomL is:

through your self-willed faith you are saved by grace, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast for we are not His work
(no longer Ephesians 2:8-10)
As represented per this recent post.

In stark contrast, the Apostle Paul wrote:

You are out of accord with the Apostle Paul.

The Apostle Paul is in accord with Lord Jesus who says "This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29).

You wrote "i never implied you were an unbeliever" yet you publicly associated me with Augustine as part of a Gnostic cult of unbelievers because you posted an article claiming Augustine was a heretic; essentially, you did exactly what you claimed you didn't do - you conveyed that you believe I am an unbeliever.

through your self-willed faith you are saved by grace, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast for we are not His work
(no longer Ephesians 2:8-10)​

The Apostle Paul is in accord with Lord Jesus who says "This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (John 6:29).

You wrote "i never implied you were an unbeliever" yet you publicly associated me with Augustine as part of a Gnostic cult of unbelievers because you posted an article claiming Augustine was a heretic; essentially, you did exactly what you claimed you didn't do - you conveyed that you believe I am an unbeliever.

Unlike you we believe Paul that we are saved by grace though faith . Faith is always the condition for man to be saved from all 66 books. Try reading Hebrews 11 sometime which confirms that truth.

hope this helps !!!

This is the day. Hebrews 11 In its entirety. "heroes and heroines of faith"

NOW FAITH is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].
2 For by [faith—trust and holy fervor born of faith] the men of old had divine testimony borne to them and obtained a good report.
3 By faith we understand that the worlds [during the successive ages] were framed (fashioned, put in order, and equipped for their intended purpose) by the word of God, so that what we see was not made out of things which are visible.
4 [Prompted, actuated] by faith Abel brought God a better and more acceptable sacrifice than Cain, because of which it was testified of him that he was righteous [that he was upright and in right standing with God], and God bore witness by accepting and acknowledging his gifts. And though he died, yet [through the incident] he is still speaking. [Gen. 4:3-10.]
5 Because of faith Enoch was caught up and transferred to heaven, so that he did not have a glimpse of death; and he was not found, because God had translated him. For even before he was taken to heaven, he received testimony [still on record] that he had pleased and been satisfactory to God. [Gen. 5:21-24.]
6 But without faith it is impossible to please and be satisfactory to Him. For whoever would come near to God must [necessarily] believe that God exists and that He is the rewarder of those who earnestly and diligently seek Him [out].
7 [Prompted] by faith Noah, being forewarned by God concerning events of which as yet there was no visible sign, took heed and diligently and reverently constructed and prepared an ark for the deliverance of his own family. By this [his faith which relied on God] he passed judgment and sentence on the world’s unbelief and became an heir and possessor of righteousness (that relation of being right into which God puts the person who has faith). [Gen. 6:13-22.]
8 [Urged on] by faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed and went forth to a place which he was destined to receive as an inheritance; and he went, although he did not know or trouble his mind about where he was to go.
9 [Prompted] by faith he dwelt as a temporary resident in the land which was designated in the promise [of God, though he was like a stranger] in a strange country, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, fellow heirs with him of the same promise. [Gen. 12:1-8.]
10 For he was [waiting expectantly and confidently] looking forward to the city which has fixed and firm foundations, whose Architect and Builder is God.
11 Because of faith also Sarah herself received physical power to conceive a child, even when she was long past the age for it, because she considered [God] Who had given her the promise to be reliable and trustworthy and true to His word. [Gen. 17:19; 18:11-14; 21:2.]
12 So from one man, though he was physically as good as dead, there have sprung descendants whose number is as the stars of heaven and as countless as the innumerable sands on the seashore. [Gen. 15:5, 6; 22:17; 32:12.]
13 These people all died controlled and sustained by their faith, but not having received the tangible fulfillment of [God’s] promises, only having seen it and greeted it from a great distance by faith, and all the while acknowledging and confessing that they were strangers and temporary residents and exiles upon the earth. [Gen. 23:4; Ps. 39:12.]
14 Now those people who talk as they did show plainly that they are in search of a fatherland (their own country).
15 If they had been thinking with [homesick] remembrance of that country from which they were emigrants, they would have found constant opportunity to return to it.
16 But the truth is that they were yearning for and aspiring to a better and more desirable country, that is, a heavenly [one]. For that reason God is not ashamed to be called their God [even to be surnamed their God—the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob], for He has prepared a city for them. [Exod. 3:6, 15; 4:5.]
17 By faith Abraham, when he was put to the test [while the testing of his faith was still in progress], had already brought Isaac for an offering; he who had gladly received and welcomed [God’s] promises was ready to sacrifice his only son, [Gen. 22:1-10.]
18 Of whom it was said, Through Isaac shall your descendants be reckoned. [Gen. 21:12.]
19 For he reasoned that God was able to raise [him] up even from among the dead. Indeed in the sense that Isaac was figuratively dead [potentially sacrificed], he did [actually] receive him back from the dead.
20 [With eyes of] faith Isaac, looking far into the future, invoked blessings upon Jacob and Esau. [Gen. 27:27-29, 39, 40.]
21 [Prompted] by faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph’s sons and bowed in prayer over the top of his staff. [Gen. 48.]
22 [Actuated] by faith Joseph, when nearing the end of his life, referred to [the promise of God for] the departure of the Israelites out of Egypt and gave instructions concerning the burial of his own bones. [Gen. 50:24, 25; Exod. 13:19.]
23 [Prompted] by faith Moses, after his birth, was kept concealed for three months by his parents, because they saw how comely the child was; and they were not overawed and terrified by the king’s decree. [Exod. 1:22; 2:2.]
24 [Aroused] by faith Moses, when he had grown to maturity and become great, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, [Exod. 2:10, 15.]
25 Because he preferred to share the oppression [suffer the hardships] and bear the shame of the people of God rather than to have the fleeting enjoyment of a sinful life.
26 He considered the contempt and abuse and shame [borne for] the Christ (the Messiah Who was to come) to be greater wealth than all the treasures of Egypt, for he looked forward and away to the reward (recompense).
27 [Motivated] by faith he left Egypt behind him, being unawed and undismayed by the wrath of the king; for he never flinched but held staunchly to his purpose and endured steadfastly as one who gazed on Him Who is invisible. [Exod. 2:15.]
28 By faith (simple trust and confidence in God) he instituted and carried out the Passover and the sprinkling of the blood [on the doorposts], so that the destroyer of the firstborn (the angel) might not touch those [of the children of Israel]. [Exod. 12:21-30.]
29 [Urged on] by faith the people crossed the Red Sea as [though] on dry land, but when the Egyptians tried to do the same thing they were swallowed up [by the sea]. [Exod. 14:21-31.]
30 Because of faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they had been encompassed for seven days [by the Israelites]. [Josh. 6:12-21.]
31 [Prompted] by faith Rahab the prostitute was not destroyed along with those who refused to believe and obey, because she had received the spies in peace [without enmity]. [Josh. 2:1-21; 6:22-25.]
32 And what shall I say further? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets, [Judg. 4:1-5; 6:1-8, 35; 11:1-12, 15; 13:1-16; I Sam. 1-30; II Sam. 1-24; I Kings 1-2; Acts 3:24.]
33 Who by [the help of] faith subdued kingdoms, administered justice, obtained promised blessings, closed the mouths of lions, [Dan. 6.]
34 Extinguished the power of raging fire, escaped the devourings of the sword, out of frailty and weakness won strength and became stalwart, even mighty and resistless in battle, routing alien hosts. [Dan. 3.]
35 [Some] women received again their dead by a resurrection. Others were tortured to death with clubs, refusing to accept release [offered on the terms of denying their faith], so that they might be resurrected to a better life. [I Kings 17:17-24; II Kings 4:25-37.]
36 Others had to suffer the trial of mocking and scourging and even chains and imprisonment.
37 They were stoned to death; they were lured with tempting offers [to renounce their faith]; they were sawn asunder; they were slaughtered by the sword; [while they were alive] they had to go about wrapped in the skins of sheep and goats, utterly destitute, oppressed, cruelly treated—
38 [Men] of whom the world was not worthy—roaming over the desolate places and the mountains, and [living] in caves and caverns and holes of the earth.
39 And all of these, though they won divine approval by [means of] their faith, did not receive the fulfillment of what was promised,
40 Because God had us in mind and had something better and greater in view for us, so that they [these heroes and heroines of faith] should not come to perfection apart from us [before we could join them].

The Amplified Bible Hebrews 11:1–40.

(no longer Ephesians 2:8-10)​

Sorry Eph 2:8 is not contrary to my word just your interpretation as noted previously

But whether are we to understand, faith or salvation as being the gift of God? This question is answered by the Greek text: τῃ γαρ χαριτι εστε σεσωσμενοι δια της πιστεως· και τουτο ουκ εξ ὑμων· Θεου το δωρον, ουκ εξ εργων· ἰνα μη τις καυχησηται· “By this grace ye are saved through faith; and this (τουτο, this salvation) not of you; it is the gift of God, not of works: so that no one can boast.” “The relative τουτο, this, which is in the neuter gender, cannot stand for πιστις, faith, which is the feminine; but it has the whole sentence that goes before for its antecedent.” But it may be asked: Is not faith the gift of God? Yes, as to the grace by which it is produced; but the grace or power to believe, and the act of believing, are two different things. Without the grace or power to believe no man ever did or can believe; but with that power the act of faith is a man’s own. God never believes for any man, no more than he repents for him; the penitent, through this grace enabling him, believes for himself: nor does he believe necessarily, or impulsively when he has that power; the power to believe may be present long before it is exercised, else, why the solemn warnings with which we meet every where in the word of God, and threatenings against those who do not believe? Is not this a proof that such persons have the power but do not use it? They believe not, and therefore are not established. This, therefore, is the true state of the case: God gives the power, man uses the power thus given, and brings glory to God: without the power no man can believe; with it, any man may.1

1 Adam Clarke, The Holy Bible with a Commentary and Critical Notes (vol. 6, New Edition.; Bellingham, WA: Faithlife Corporation, 2014), 439.

And that not of yourselves. That is, salvation does not proceed from yourselves. The word rendered that—τοῦτο—is in the neuter gender, and the word faith—πίστις—is in the feminine. The word “that,” therefore, does not refer particularly to faith, as being the gift of God, but to the salvation by grace of which he had been speaking. This is the interpretation of the passage which is the most obvious, and which is now generally conceded to be the true one; see Bloomfield1

1 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Ephesians, Philippians & Colossians (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 42.

But they commonly misintepret this text, and restrict the word ‘gift’ to faith alone. But Paul is only repeating his earlier statement in other words. He does not mean that faith is the gift of God, but that salvation is given to us by God … " (from, Calvin’s Commentaries 4:145

In the Bible there is no clear and dogmatic statement that saving faith is a gift of God. On the other hand, the Bible clearly states the way in which faith is obtained: Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Rom. 10:17). The Scriptures speak of saving faith as thy faith (Luke 7:50), his faith (Rom. 4:5), and their faith (Matt. 9:2); but never as the faith of God. It can be agreed that saving faith is the gift of God in the broad sense in which all things come from God (1 Cor. 4:7; Rom. 11:35, 36). However, this is entirely different from the position that an unsaved person cannot believe until he first receives a special gift of faith from God. Such a doctrine is opposed by the whosoever passages of the Bible, and by passages which beseech the sinner to be saved (i.e., John 3:16; 2 Cor. 5:20).

and your interpretation of john 6 :29 has been rebuted multiple times

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Believe. Faith is put as a moral act or work. The work of God is to believe. Faith includes all the works which God requires. The Jews’ question contemplates numerous works. Jesus’ answer directs them to one work. Canon Westcott justly observes that “this simple formula contains the complete solution of the relation of faith and works.”11 Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament (vol. 2; New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887), 148–149.

The meaning is not,—that faith is wrought in us by God, is the work of God; but that the truest way of working the work of God is to believe on Him whom He hath sent.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 761.

Scripture shows faith is man's responsibility

Acts 16:30–31 (KJV 1900) — 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

You just ignore it

Sorry Eph 2:8 is not contrary to my word just your interpretation as noted previously

But whether are we to understand, faith or salvation as being the gift of God? This question is answered by the Greek text: τῃ γαρ χαριτι εστε σεσωσμενοι δια της πιστεως· και τουτο ουκ εξ ὑμων· Θεου το δωρον, ουκ εξ εργων· ἰνα μη τις καυχησηται· “By this grace ye are saved through faith; and this (τουτο, this salvation) not of you; it is the gift of God, not of works: so that no one can boast.” “The relative τουτο, this, which is in the neuter gender, cannot stand for πιστις, faith, which is the feminine; but it has the whole sentence that goes before for its antecedent.” But it may be asked: Is not faith the gift of God? Yes, as to the grace by which it is produced; but the grace or power to believe, and the act of believing, are two different things. Without the grace or power to believe no man ever did or can believe; but with that power the act of faith is a man’s own. God never believes for any man, no more than he repents for him; the penitent, through this grace enabling him, believes for himself: nor does he believe necessarily, or impulsively when he has that power; the power to believe may be present long before it is exercised, else, why the solemn warnings with which we meet every where in the word of God, and threatenings against those who do not believe? Is not this a proof that such persons have the power but do not use it? They believe not, and therefore are not established. This, therefore, is the true state of the case: God gives the power, man uses the power thus given, and brings glory to God: without the power no man can believe; with it, any man may.1

1 Adam Clarke, The Holy Bible with a Commentary and Critical Notes (vol. 6, New Edition.; Bellingham, WA: Faithlife Corporation, 2014), 439.

And that not of yourselves. That is, salvation does not proceed from yourselves. The word rendered that—τοῦτο—is in the neuter gender, and the word faith—πίστις—is in the feminine. The word “that,” therefore, does not refer particularly to faith, as being the gift of God, but to the salvation by grace of which he had been speaking. This is the interpretation of the passage which is the most obvious, and which is now generally conceded to be the true one; see Bloomfield1

1 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Ephesians, Philippians & Colossians (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 42.

But they commonly misintepret this text, and restrict the word ‘gift’ to faith alone. But Paul is only repeating his earlier statement in other words. He does not mean that faith is the gift of God, but that salvation is given to us by God … " (from, Calvin’s Commentaries 4:145

In the Bible there is no clear and dogmatic statement that saving faith is a gift of God. On the other hand, the Bible clearly states the way in which faith is obtained: Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Rom. 10:17). The Scriptures speak of saving faith as thy faith (Luke 7:50), his faith (Rom. 4:5), and their faith (Matt. 9:2); but never as the faith of God. It can be agreed that saving faith is the gift of God in the broad sense in which all things come from God (1 Cor. 4:7; Rom. 11:35, 36). However, this is entirely different from the position that an unsaved person cannot believe until he first receives a special gift of faith from God. Such a doctrine is opposed by the whosoever passages of the Bible, and by passages which beseech the sinner to be saved (i.e., John 3:16; 2 Cor. 5:20).

and your interpretation of john 6 :29 has been rebuted multiple times

Scripture shows faith is man's responsibility

Acts 16:30–31 (KJV 1900) — 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

You just ignore it

Through your comprehensive explanation, you persist in destroying Greek grammar's nearest word order relationship principle of Ephesians 2:8-10 resulting in:

(no longer Ephesians 2:8-10, see 2 Peter 2:9-10 for self-willed)
You relocate "faith" as just shown, but "faith" properly placed is "faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God
(Ephesians 2:8).

You are out of accord with the Apostle Paul as proven in this recent post which explains the Greek grammar used in Ephesians 2:8-10 in Truth (John 14:6).

You had written "i never implied you were an unbeliever" yet you publicly associated me with Augustine as part of a Gnostic cult of unbelievers because you posted an article claiming Augustine was a heretic; essentially, you did exactly what you claimed you didn't do - you conveyed that you believe I am an unbeliever.

You didn't start your quote with verse 27! If you did you would have got the proper context. They the people asked Christ what work THEY were to do in response to his statement that they WERE to do a certain type of work,

So they asked him what exactly was the work they were to do and he told them the work they were to do. Please stop trying to say otherwise.

So they asked him what exactly was the work they were to do and he told them the work they were to do. Please stop trying to say otherwise.

The people asked amiss. Jesus corrected them with His answer.

The people asked amiss. Jesus corrected them with His answer.
THEY DID NOT! Jesus told them the work that THEY needed to do, that THEY NEEDED TO DO , that THEY needed to do...Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life <----those my friend are the words of Jesus! To say but for is to say a work they were to do but of a different kind! It's the work of faith which THEY were to do NOT GOD.

Through your comprehensive explanation, you persist in destroying Greek grammar's nearest word order relationship principle of Ephesians 2:8-10 resulting in:
(no longer Ephesians 2:8-10, see 2 Peter 2:9-10 for self-willed)​
You relocate "faith" as just shown, but "faith" properly placed is "faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God
(Ephesians 2:8).

Newsflash there is no such rule in Greek. You cannot just take English practice and willy nilly ascribe it to the Greek

Which is why Greek scholars reject your view

through faith—the effect of the power of Christ’s resurrection (Eph 1:19, 20; Php 3:10) whereby we are “raised together” with Him (Eph 2:6; Col 2:12). Some of the oldest manuscripts read, “through your (literally, ‘the’) faith.” The instrument or mean of salvation on the part of the person saved; Christ alone is the meritorious agent.1

1 Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset, and David Brown, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (vol. 2; Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997), 345.

For by grace (τῃ γαρ χαριτι [tēi gar chariti]). Explanatory reason. “By the grace” already mentioned in verse 5 and so with the article. Through faith (δια πιστεως [dia pisteōs]). This phrase he adds in repeating what he said in verse 5 to make it plainer. “Grace” is God’s part, “faith” ours. And that (και τουτο [kai touto]). Neuter, not feminine ταυτη [tautē], and so refers not to πιστις [pistis] (feminine) or to χαρις [charis] (feminine also), but to the act of being saved by grace conditioned on faith on our part. Paul shows that salvation does not have its source (ἐξ ὑμων [ex humōn], out of you) in men, but from God. Besides, it is God’s gift (δωρον [dōron]) and not the result of our work.

A.T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament (Nashville, TN: Broadman Press, 1933), Eph 2:8.

8.] For by grace (the article shews us the import of the sentence—to take up and expand the parenthetic clause χάριτί ἐστε σεσωσμένοι above: but not barely so: that clause itself was inserted on account of the matter in hand being a notable example of the fact, and this γάρ takes up also that matter in hand—the ὑπερβάλλον πλοῦτος κ.τ.λ) ye are (perf.) saved, through [your] (or [the], but the possessive article is preferable, see below: ‘the’ would make both objective. The abstract, ‘through faith,’ must be the rendering if the article be omitted) faith (the dative above expressed the objective instrumental condition of your salvation,—this διὰ the subjective medial condition: it has been effected by grace and apprehended by faith): and this (not your faith, as Chrys. οὐδὲ ἡ πίστις, φησίν, ἐξ ὑμῶν: so Thdrt., al., Corn.-a-Iap., Beza, Est., Grot., Beng., all.;—this is precluded (not by the gender of τοῦτο, but) by the manifestly parallel clauses οὐκ ἐξ ὑμῶν and οὐκ ἐξ ἔργων, of which the latter would be irrelevant as asserted of πίστις, and the reference of ver. 9 must therefore be changed:—but, as Calv., Calov., Rück., Harl., Olsh., Mey., De W., Stier, al., ‘your salvation;’ τὸ σεσωσμένοι εἶναι, as Ellic.) not of yourselves, God’s (emphatic) is the gift (not, as E. V. ‘it is the gift of God’ (θεοῦ δῶρον),—τὸ δῶρον, viz. of your salvation: so that the expression is pregnant—q. d., ‘but it is a gift, and that gift is God’s.’ There is no occasion, as Lachm., Harl., and De W., to parenthesize these words: they form a contrast to οὐκ ἐξ ὑμ., and a quasi-parallel clause to ἵνα μή τις καυχήσ. below): not of works (for ἐξ ἔργων, see on Rom. 3:4, and Gal. 2:16), that no man should boast (on the proposition implied, see on Rom. 4:2. ἵνα, has in matter of fact its strictest telic sense. With God, results are all purposed; it need not be understood, when we predicate of Him a purpose in this manner, that it was His main or leading aim;—but it was one of those things included in His scheme, which ranked among His purposes).1

1 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 3; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 94.

Calvinists as well

τῇ γὰρ χάριτί ἐστε σεσωσμένοι διὰ πίστεως. Emphasizing the means, as, before, the reality of the salvation. The root of our salvation lies in the declaration of God’s favour to us (cf. on 1:6) and in the power of the consciousness of that favour over us. διὰ πίστεως, cf. 1:13, 15, 19; faith on man’s side is the mouth or hand by which the salvation is appropriated, cf. Rom. 3:24.11 J. O. F. Murray, ed., The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians (Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1914), 40.;

οὐκ ἐξ ἔργων. Here the thought reverts to the main idea, the gift of salvation11 J. O. F. Murray, ed., The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians (Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1914), 40.

Salvation is not of works

Calvin also

You are out of accord with the Apostle Paul as proven in this recent post which explains the Greek grammar used in Ephesians 2:8-10 in Truth (John 14:6).

You had written "i never implied you were an unbeliever" yet you publicly associated me with Augustine as part of a Gnostic cult of unbelievers because you posted an article claiming Augustine was a heretic; essentially, you did exactly what you claimed you didn't do - you conveyed that you believe I am an unbeliever.

Repeating rebutted claims does not make them any stronger

Messianic work.

28. τί ποιῶμεν …; What must we do (v. 5) that we may work? Perhaps they understood Him to mean that they must earn what they desire; certainly they see that Christ’s words have a moral meaning; they must do the works required by God. But how?

29. τὸ ἔργον. They probably thought of works of the law, tithes, sacrifices, &c. He tells them of one work, one moral act, from which all the rest derive their value, continuous belief (πιστεύητε, not πιστεύσητε) in Him whom God has sent. Comp. Acts 16:31. On ἵνα and ἀπέστειλεν see on 1:8, 33, 4:47, 17:3.1

1 A. Plummer, The Gospel according to S. John (Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1896), 155.

τὰ ἔργα τοῦ θεοῦ must not be taken to mean ‘the works which God works,’ but, as in Jer. 48:10 (31:10 LXX): 1 Cor. 15:58, the works well pleasing to God.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 760–761.

endlessly repeating yoursdelf while ignoring rebuttal dies not advance your argument

Back
Top Bottom