An Article on free will

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it all boils down to on what side of the fence you're on. Either side can use scripture to uphold their beliefs but the real debate is whether or not you hold to Calvinism or some ism. Obviously we can sword fight all day with scriptures but our opinions are going to remain the same.

@TomL

Same thing, without cause. The conditions were all fulfilled by Christ, through His redemptive death, hence all of grace
sorry no there is a condition

Galatians 2:15–16 (ESV) — 15 We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

So it all boils down to on what side of the fence you're on. Either side can use scripture to uphold their beliefs but the real debate is whether or not you hold to Calvinism or some ism. Obviously we can sword fight all day with scriptures but our opinions are going to remain the same.
Selected verses maybe, but not the whole council of God.

PS do you mean some other ism?

Tell you what. Why don't you send us your 3 best verses that you think promote Calvinism's Unconditional Election onto Salvation and we can discuss only them and their surrounding verses?

Tell you what. Why don't you send us your 3 best verses that you think promote Calvinism's Unconditional Election onto Salvation and we can discuss only them and their surrounding verses?
I can't do that because I don't think there are any. Not any that I would hold to as I'm Non-denominational. But you know what just to learn something I'll give it my best shot

I can't do that because I don't think there are any. Not any that I would hold to as I'm Non-denominational. But you know what just to learn something I'll give it my best shot
Interesting. Within Non-Denominationalism, is there a consensus on whether ot not Calvinism is true?

Interesting. Within Non-Denominationalism, is there a consensus on whether ot not Calvinism is true?
Okay you backed me into a corner... just my personal opinion there's no way in the world Calvinism could be true. I don't want to rile up any calvinist here as they're free to believe whatever they like. I also don't believe in armenianism.

The closest I come to any denomination would be angelical free church. The church I attend was angelical free but are no longer. There was no church fall out or anything like that.

I found this and it's just as deep into unconditional election as I want to go.

The article runs away from any discussion concerning Calvinism's Unconditional Election onto Salvation.

The debate over unconditional election is not whether or not God elects or predestines people to salvation but upon what basis He elects them.

Sure. I'm not questioning your right to do it. But if you say it's the Ministry of the Spirit to show truth then why do you seek to do it?
That question doesnt make sense to me. Someone presenting scripture truth dont have the ability to cause Spiritual enlightment and understanding. When Paul preached, it was of the Lord to open ones heart to attend to what he preached. Acts 16:14 One witness plants, another waters, but only God can give increase friend. 1 Cor 3 5-7

I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

The article runs away from any discussion concerning Calvinism's Unconditional Election onto Salvation.

The debate over unconditional election is not whether or not God elects or predestines people to salvation but upon what basis He elects them.
I didn't know that But I would imagine more will be revealed

Okay you backed me into a corner... just my personal opinion there's no way in the world Calvinism could be true. I don't want to rile up any calvinist here as they're free to believe whatever they like. I also don't believe in armenianism.

The closest I come to any denomination would be angelical free church.
I don't believe in Arminianism either. You won't find many Arminians here, at least in my experience. What you will find is that many of us have somehow discovered that we are of very similar opinion here. We come from all walks of life and we surprisingly agree on the fundamentals at least.

If the word "world" in John 3:16 includes the population of persons who die while in disbelief/unfaith, then God lost some persons to eternal punishment instead of eternal life.
But he didn't say some people wouldn't be lost in Jn 3:16 so I don't know what you're getting at. That still doesn't mean God didn't love the world, what you consider the non elect too.
Since believing in the Son of God whom God the Father has sent is the work of God (John 6:29)
You keep avoiding, neglecting Jn 6:27 which reveals CLEARLY and emphatically that believing IS NOT the work of God but rather it is the work of the person. It's called the work of faith and it's THEIR WORK. (see below)

Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you

So context they the people were doing a work...laboring for meat.....context demands it was their work. BUT Jesus said don't labor for the meat which perishes but, BUT for the meat that endures unto eternal life! The work of faith is MAN'S work. And verse 28 bears that out and verse 30 does too. So sorry but there's no excuse or justification for what you do with the verse 29 in that chapter. None whatsoever.

I don't believe in Arminianism either. You won't find many Arminians here, at least in my experience. What you will find is that many of us have somehow discovered that we are if very similar opinion here. We come from all walks of life and we surprisingly agree on the fundamentals at least.
I come to learn things about God and the Bible. So when people discuss something and it seems interesting to me I do a deep dive in into it and find out what I can learn about it.

I come to learn things about God and the Bible. So when people discuss something and it seems interesting to me I do a deep dive in into it and find out what I can learn about it.
I like deep dives also because I personally cannot hold opposing views. I always seek to make sense of everything that seems contradictory at that moment. And I won't rest until I found out how to harmonize Bible verses.

The Lexicons all refute you

Again Paul is not appealing to believers to be reconciled

2 Corinthians 5:19–20 (KJV 1900) — 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.

world kosmos has no meaning of the elect

Here is Badg

κόσμος, ου, ὁ (Hom.+; inscr., pap., LXX)—1. adornment, adorning (Hom.+; Diod. S. 20, 4, 5 τῶν γυναικῶν τὸν κόσμον; Dit., Or. 531, 13; PEleph. 1, 4; PSI 240, 12 γυναικεῖον κόσμον; LXX; Philo, Migr. Abr. 97 γυναικῶν κ.; Jos., Ant. 1, 250; 15, 5; Test. Jud. 12:1) of women’s attire, etc. ὁ ἔξωθεν. . . κόσμος external adorning 1 Pt 3:3 (Vi. Hom. 4 of the inward adornment of a woman, beside σωφροσύνη; Crates, Ep. 9; Pythag., Ep. 11, 1; Plut., Mor. 141E).
2. in philosoph. usage the world as the sum total of everything here and now, the (orderly) universe (so, acc. to Plut., Mor. 886B, as early as Pythagoras; certainly Heraclitus, fgm. 66; Pla., Gorg. 508A, Phaedr. 246C; Chrysipp., fgm. 527 v. Arnim κόσμος σύστημα ἐξ οὐρανοῦ καὶ γῆς καὶ τῶν ἐν τούτοις περιεχομένων φύσεων. Likew. Posidonius in Diog. L. 7, 138; Ps.-Aristot., De Mundo 2 p. 391b, 9ff; 2 and 4 Macc; Wsd; Ep. Arist. 254; Philo, Aet. M. 4; Jos., Ant. 1, 21; Test. 12 Patr.; Sib. Or. 7, 123.—The other philosoph. usage, in which κ. denotes the heaven in contrast to the earth, is prob. without mng. for our lit. [unless perh. Phil 2:15 κ.=‘sky’?]). ἡ ἀέναος τοῦ κ. σύστασις the everlasting constitution of the universe 1 Cl 60:1 (cf. Dit., Or. 56, 48 εἰς τὸν ἀέναον κ.). Sustained by four elements Hv 3, 13, 3. πρὸ τοῦ τὸν κ. εἶναι before the world existed J 17:5. ἀπὸ καταβολῆς κόσμου from the beginning of the world Mt 13:35 v.l. (the text omits κόσμου); 25:34; Lk 11:50; Hb 4:3; 9:26; Rv 13:8; 17:8. Also ἀπʼ ἀρχῆς κ. Mt 24:21 or κτίσεως κ. Ro 1:20.—B 5:5 ἀπὸ καταβ. κ. evidently means at the foundation of the world (cf. Windisch, Hdb. ad loc.). πρὸ καταβολῆς κ. before the foundation of the world J 17:24; Eph 1:4; 1 Pt 1:20 (on the uses w. καταβολή s. that word, 1). οὐδὲν εἴδωλον ἐν κ. there is (really) no such thing as an idol in the world 1 Cor 8:4. Of the creation in its entirety 3:22. ὁ κόσμος ὅλος=πᾶσα ἡ κτίσις (Sallust. 21 p. 36, 13) Hs 9, 14, 5. φωστῆρες ἐν κόσμῳ stars in the universe Phil 2:15 (s. above). Esp. of the universe as created by God (Epict. 4, 7, 6 ὁ θεὸς πάντα πεποίηκεν, τὰ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ καὶ αὐτὸν τὸν κόσμον ὅλον; Wsd 9:9; 2 Macc 7:23 ὁ τοῦ κ. κτίστης; 4 Macc 5:25) ὁ ποιήσας τὸν κ. who has made the world Ac 17:24. ὁ κτίστης τοῦ σύμπαντος κ. 1 Cl 19:2; ὁ κτίσας τὸν κ. Hv 1, 3, 4; cf. m 12, 4, 2. ὁ τοῦ παντὸς κ. κυριεύων B 21:5. Christ is called παντὸς τοῦ κ. κύριος 5:5. The world was created for the sake of the church Hv 2, 4, 1.—The universe, as the greatest space conceivable, is not able to contain someth. (Philo, Ebr. 32) J 21:25.
3. the world as the sum total of all beings above the level of the animals θέατρον ἐγενήθημεν (i.e. οἱ ἀπόστολοι) τῷ κόσμῳ καὶ ἀγγέλοις καὶ ἀνθρώποις 1 Cor 4:9. Here the world is divided into angels and men (cf. the Stoic definition of the κόσμος in Stob., Ecl. I p. 184, 8 τὸ ἐκ θεῶν καὶ ἀνθρώπων σύστημα; likew. Epict. 1, 9, 4.—Acc. to Ocellus Luc. c. 37, end, the κ. consists of the sphere of the divine beyond the moon and the sphere of the earthly on this side of the moon).
4. the world as the earth, the planet upon which we live (Dit., Syll.3 814, 31 [67 AD] Nero, ὁ τοῦ παντὸς κόσμου κύριος, Or. 458, 40 [=Inschr. v. Priene 105]; 2 Macc 3:12; Jos., Ant. 9, 241; 10, 205).
a. gener. Mk 16:15. τὰς βασιλείας τοῦ κ. Mt 4:8; ἐν ὅλῳ τῷ κ. 26:13. Cf. 13:38; Mk 14:9; Hs 9, 25, 2. τὸ φῶς τοῦ κ. τούτου the light of this world (the sun) J 11:9. In rhetorical exaggeration ἡ πίστις ὑμῶν καταγγέλλεται ἐν ὅλῳ τ. κόσμῳ Ro 1:8 (cf. the Egypt. grave inscr. APF 5, ’13, 169 no. 24, 8 ὧν ἡ σωφροσύνη κατὰ τὸν κ. λελάληται). Abraham as κληρονόμος κόσμου heir of the world 4:13.—Cf. 1 Cor 14:10; Col 1:6. ἡ ἐν τῷ κ. ἀδελφότης the brotherhood in the (whole) world 1 Pt 5:9. ἐγένετο ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ κ. τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν our Lord has assumed the sovereignty of the world Rv 11:15. τά ἔθνη τοῦ κ. (not LXX, but prob. rabbinic אִמּוֹת הָעוֹלָם=humankind apart fr. Israel; Billerb. II 191; Dalman, Worte 144f) the heathen in the world Lk 12:30. In this line of development, κόσμος alone serves to designate the pagan world Ro 11:12, 15.—Other worlds (lands) beyond the ocean 1 Cl 20:8.—In several of these pass. the mng. was
b. the world as the habitation of mankind (as Sib. Or. 1, 160). So also Hs 9, 17, 1f. εἰσέρχεσθαι εἰς τὸν κ. of entrance into the world by being born 1 Cl 38:3. ἐκ τοῦ κ. ἐξελθεῖν leave this present world (Philo, Leg. All. 3, 5 ἔξω τ. κόσμου φεύγειν) 1 Cor 5:10b; 2 Cl 8:3. γεννηθῆναι εἰς τὸν κ. be born into the world J 16:21. ἕως ἐσμὲν ἐν τούτῳ τῷ κ. 2 Cl 8:2. οὐδὲν εἰσφέρειν εἰς τὸν κ. (Philo, Spec. Leg. 1, 294 τὸν μηδὲν εἰς τὸν κόσμον εἰσενηνοχότα) 1 Ti 6:7. πολλοὶ πλάνοι ἐξῆλθαν εἰς τὸν κ. 2 J 7.—J 12:25.
c. earth, world in contrast to heaven (Dio Chrys. 19 [36], 59) ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ τούτῳ 2 Cl 19:3.—Esp. when mention is made of the preëxistent Christ, who came fr. the other world into the κόσμος. So, above all, in John (Bultmann, Reg. I κόσμος) ἔρχεσθαι εἰς τὸν κ. (τοῦτον) J 6:14; 9:39; 11:27; 16:28a; 18:37; specif. also come into the world as light 12:46; 1:9; 3:19. Sending of Jesus into the world 3:17a; 10:36; 1J 4:9. His εἶναι ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ J 9:5a. Leaving the world and returning to the Father 13:1; 16:28b. His kingship is not ἐκ τοῦ κ. τούτου of this world 18:36a, b.—Also Χρ. Ἰησοῦς ἦλθεν εἰς τ. κόσμον 1 Ti 1:15; cf. ἐπιστεύθη ἐν κόσμῳ (opp. ἀνελήμφθη ἐν δόξῃ) 3:16.—εἰσερχόμενος εἰς τὸν κ. Hb 10:5.

d. the world outside in contrast to one’s home PK 3 p. 15, 13; 19.
5. the world as mankind (Sib. Or. 1, 189)—a. gener. οὐαί τῷ κ. ἀπὸ τῶν σκανδάλων woe to mankind because of vexations Mt 18:7; τὸ φῶς τοῦ κ. the light for mankind 5:14; cf. J 8:12; 9:5. ὁ σωτὴρ τοῦ κ. 4:42; 1J 4:14 (this designation is found in the inscrs., esp. oft. of Hadrian [WWeber, Untersuchungen z. Geschichte des Kaisers Hadrianus ’07, 225; 226; 229]).—J 1:29; 3:17b; 17:6.—κρίνειν τὸν κ. (Sib. Or. 4, 184) Ro 3:6; B 4:12; cf. Ro 3:19. ἡ ἁμαρτία εἰς τὸν κ. εἰσῆλθεν 5:12; likew. θάνατος εἰσῆλθεν εἰς τὸν κ. 1 Cl 3:4 (Wsd 2:24; 14:14). Cf. Ro 5:13; 1 Cor 1:27f. περικαθάρματα τοῦ κ. the refuse of mankind 4:13.—6:2a, b (Sallust. 21 p. 36, 13 the souls of the virtuous, together w. the gods, will rule the whole κόσμος); 2 Cor 1:12; 5:19; Js 2:5; 1J 2:2; 4:1, 3. ἀρχαῖος κόσμος the men of the ancient world 2 Pt 2:5a; cf. b; 3:6.—ὅλος ὁ κ. all the world, everybody Ac 2:47 D. Likew. ὁ κόσμος (cf. Philo, De Prov. in Euseb., Pr. Ev. 8, 14, 58) ὁ κ. ὀπίσω αὐτοῦ ἀπῆλθεν J 12:19. ἐγὼ παρρησίᾳ λελάληκα τῷ κ. 18:20; cf. 7:4; 14:22.
b. of all mankind, but especially of believers, as the object of God’s love J 3:16, 17c; 6:33, 51; 12:47.
6. the world as the scene of earthly joys, possessions, cares, sufferings (cf. 4 Macc 8:23) τὸν κ. ὅλον κερδῆσαι gain the whole world Mt 16:26; Mk 8:36; Lk 9:25; 2 Cl 6:2 (cf. Procop. Soph., Ep. 137 the whole οἰκουμένη is an unimportant possession compared to ἀρετή). τὰ τερπνὰ τοῦ κ. the delightful things in the world IRo 6:1. οἱ χρώμενοι τὸν κ. ὡς μὴ καταχρώμενοι those who use the world as though they were not using it to the full 1 Cor 7:31a. ἔχειν τὸν βίον τοῦ κ. possess worldly goods 1J 3:17. τὰ τοῦ κόσμου the affairs of the world 1 Cor 7:33f; cf. 1J 2:15f. The latter pass. forms an easy transition to the large number of exprs. (esp. in Paul and John) in which
7. the world, and everything that belongs to it, appears as that which is hostile to God, i.e. lost in sin, wholly at odds w. anything divine, ruined and depraved (Herm. Wr. 6, 4 [the κόσμος is τὸ πλήρωμα τῆς κακίας]; 13, 1 [ἡ τοῦ κ. ἀπάτη], in Stob. p. 428, 24 Sc.; En. 48, 7; Test. Iss. 4:6; Hdb., exc. on J 1:10; Bultmann 33-5.—Cf. Sotades Maronita [III BC] 11 Diehl: the κόσμος is unjust and hostile to great men) IMg 5:2; IRo 2:2. ὁ κόσμος οὗτος this world (in contrast to the other world) J 8:23; 12:25, 31a; 13:1; 16:11; 18:36; 1J 4:17; 1 Cor 3:19; 5:10a; 7:31b; Hv 4, 3, 2ff; D 10:6; 2 Cl 5:1, 5; (opp. ὁ ἅγιος αἰών) B 10:11. ‘This world’ is ruled by the ἄρχων τοῦ κ. τούτου the prince of this world, the devil J 12:31b; 16:11; without τούτου 14:30. Cf. also ὁ κ. ὅλος ἐν τῷ πονηρῷ κεῖται the whole world lies in the power of the evil one 1J 5:19. Cf. 4:4; also ὁ αἰὼν τοῦ κ. τούτου Eph 2:2 (s. αἰών 4).—The Christian must have nothing to do with this world of sin and separation fr. God: instead of desiring it IRo 7:1, one is to ἄσπιλον ἑαυτὸν τηρεῖν ἀπὸ τοῦ κ. keep oneself unstained by the world Js 1:27. ἀποφεύγειν τὰ μιάσματα τοῦ κ. 2 Pt 2:20; cf. 1:4 (s. ἀποφεύγω).—Pol 5:3. ἡ φιλία τοῦ κ. ἔχθρα τ. θεοῦ ἐστιν Js 4:4a; cf. b. When he takes this attitude the Christian is naturally hated by the world IRo 3:3; J 15:18, 19a, d; 17:14a; 1J 3:13, as his Lord was hated J 7:7; 15:18. Cf. 1:10c; 14:17; 16:20.—Also in Paul: God and world in opposition τὸ πνεῦμα τοῦ κ. and τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἐκ θεοῦ the spirit of the world and the Spirit that comes fr. God 1 Cor 2:12. ἡ κατὰ θεὸν λύπη and ἡ τοῦ κ. λύπη godly grief and worldly grief 2 Cor 7:10. The world is condemned by God 1 Cor 11:32; but also the object of the divine plan of salvation 2 Cor 5:19; cf. 1 Cl 9:4. The Christian is dead as far as this world is concerned: διʼ οὗ (i.e. Ἰ. Χρ.) ἐμοὶ κ. ἐσταύρωται κἀγὼ κόσμῳ through Christ the world has been crucified for me, and I have been (crucified) to the world Gal 6:14. For στοιχεῖα τοῦ κ. Col 2:8, 20 s. στοιχεῖον.—The use of κ. in this sense is even further developed in John. The κ. stands in opposition to God 1J 2:15f and hence is incapable of knowing God J 17:25; cf. 1J 4:5, and excluded fr. Christ’s intercession J 17:9. Neither Christ himself 17:14c, 16b; 14:27, nor his own 15:19b; 17:14b, 16a; 1J 3:1 belong in any way to the ‘world’. Rather Christ has chosen them ‘out of the world’ J 15:19c, even though for the present they must still live ‘in the world’ 17:11b; cf. vss. 15, 18b. All the trouble that they must undergo because of this, 16:33a, means nothing compared w. the victorious conviction that Christ (and the believers w. him) has overcome ‘the world’ vs. 33b; 1J 5:4f, and that it is doomed to pass away 2:17 (Kephal. I 154, 21: the κόσμος τῆς σαρκός will pass away).
8. totality, sum total (Dit., Syll.3 850, 10 τὸν κόσμον τῶν ἔργων; Pr 17:6a) ὁ κ. τῆς ἀδικίας ἡ γλῶσσα καθίσταται the tongue becomes (or proves to be) the sum total of iniquity Js 3:6 (so, approx., in recent times Meinertz; FHauck.—MDibelius, Windisch and ASchlatter find mng. 7 here, while ACarr, Exp. 7th Ser. VIII ’09, 318ff thinks of mng. 1). Χρ. τὸν ὑπὲρ τῆς τοῦ παντὸς κόσμου τῶν σῳζομένων σωτηρίας παθόντα Christ, who suffered or died (s. πάσχω 3aα) for the salvation of the sum total of those who are saved MPol 17:2.—FBytomski, D. genet. Entwicklung des Begriffes κόσμος in d. Hl. Schrift: Jahrb. für Philos. und spekul. Theol. 25, ’11, 180-201; 389-413 (only the OT); CSchneider, Pls u. d. Welt: Αγγελος IV ’32, 11-47; EvSchrenck, Der Kosmos-Begriff bei Joh.: Mitteilungen u. Nachrichten f. d. evang. Kirche in Russland 51, 1895, 1-29; RLöwe, Kosmos u. Aion ’35; RBultmann, D. Verständnis v. Welt u. Mensch im NT u. im Griechentum: ThBl 19, ’40, 1-14; GBornkamm, Christus u. die Welt in der urchr. Botschaft: ZThK 47, ’50, 212-26; RVölkl, Christ u. Welt nach dem NT ’61; GJohnston, οἰκουμένη and κ. in the NT, NTS 10, ’64, 352-60; NHCassem, ibid. 19, ’72/’73, 81-91; HSasse, TW III 867-96. M-M. B. 13; 440.

William Arndt et al., A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature : A Translation and Adaption of the Fourth Revised and Augmented Edition of Walter Bauer’s Griechisch-Deutsches Worterbuch Zu Den Schrift En Des Neuen Testaments Und Der Ubrigen Urchristlichen Literatur (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1979), 445–447.

Here is how the word world is used

Kosmos The mass of mankind opposed to God John 17:6, 9, 14; 25; John 12:47; 1 John 5:19

Compare John’s use of the term World in John 12:47, 48 This parallel passage shows John’s use of world cannot be limited to the elect alone

With respect to the use of kosmos in the Gospel of John, Carson pointed out the word characteristically means human beings in rebellion against God.65 In John’s prologue kosmos means apostate humanity in rebellion against God. In John 1:29, the sins of the “world” are what must be atoned for.66 In Jn 3:16, the world is spoken of as being loved and condemned, and then some are saved out of it. The latter two outcomes occur because of either belief or unbelief according to Jn 3:18. John 3:19 is consistent with Jn 3:18. No linguistic, exegetical, or theological grounds exist for reducing the meaning of “world” to “the elect.” In fact, in John 17:6, the elect are defined over against the world. Owen made John 3:16 read, “God so loved those he chose out of the world,” which changes the sense of the verse into the opposite of its intended meaning. To make the meaning of “world” here “the elect” is to commit a logical and linguistic mistake of confusing categories.67

Whosoever Will (p. 80). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Metonymically, the world meaning the inhabitants of the earth, men, mankind (Matt. 5:14; 13:38; John 1:29; 3:16; Rom. 3:6, 19; 1 Cor. 4:13; 2 Cor. 5:19; Heb. 11:7; 2 Pet. 2:5; 1 John 2:2).

Complete word study dictionary

(3) all of humanity (Matt. 5:14; John 3:16; 1 Cor. 4:13); Holman treasury of bible words

the inhabitants of the world: θεατρον εγενηθημεν τω κοσμω και αγγελοις και ανθρωποις, 1 Corinthians 4:9 (Winer's Grammar, 127 (121)); particularly the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human race (first so in Sap. (e.g.10:1)): Matthew 13:38; 18:7; Mark 14:9; John 1:10, 29 (36 L in brackets); 3:16f; 6:33,51; 8:26; 12:47; 13:1; 14:31; 16:28; 17:6,21,23; Romans 3:6,19; 1 Corinthians 1:27f

Thayers Greek English lexicon

(c) by metonymy, the "human race, mankind," e.g., Matt. 5:14; John 1:9 [here "that cometh (RV, 'coming') into the world" is said of Christ, not of "every man;" by His coming into the world He was the light for all men]; John 1:10; John 3:16, 17 (thrice),19; John 4:42, and frequently in Rom. 1 Cor. and 1 John; Vines expository dictionary

a study of κόσμος [world] in the fourth Gospel. The “world” is pictured as mankind in general (John 7:24; 12:19, etc.) and is seen in a twofold relation to Christ. Primarily it denotes those who have rebelled against God (John 17:25) and have followed their “ruler,” Satan (John 12:31; 14:30; 16:11); as such it is dominated by wickedness (John 7:7) and has rejected Jesus (John 1:10) and his disciples (John 15:18; 17:14). On the other hand, however, it is still the object of God’s love (John 3:16) and salvation (John 3:17; 12:41), and Jesus came to provide life for it (John 1:29; 6:33). The disciples are to continue Jesus’ salvific mission to the world (John 17:17-19) Grant Osborne Exegetical notes on Calvinism

scripture refutes you

John 12:47–48 (ESV) — 47 If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. 48 The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.

God does not judge any who do not believe because he came not to judge the world

but save the world

Thus any unbeliever is a part of the world Jesus came to save

You failed to address this
Tearing down strongholds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom