An Article on free will

Thanks for quoting.

Your adulteration of Holy Scripture is evident in your quotations augmented with your heart's thoughts in your posts:
TomL traditions of menApostolic testimony
And having heard these things, they were silent and glorified themselves, saying, "Then indeed, also, we have given first to ourselves repentance then second to the gift of the Holy Spirit."
(TomL 11:18)
And having heard these things, they were silent and glorified God, saying, "Then indeed, also, God has given to the Gentiles repentance to life."
(Acts 11:18)
And so go your adulterations of Holy Scripture again and again and again.
Again your reading comprehension must be challenged

repentance to life can do no other than put repentance before the reception of life

The word unto or to is eis

Eis is a preposition which denotes movement toward a goal or destination

here the motion is to life

The Apostles literally testified "God has given to the Gentiles repentance"
(Acts 11:18), so your post's "Still nothing there which shows it is other than man who causes to repent" is false free-willian philosophy.

to grant does not mean to irresistibly infuse

Acts 11:18 (KJV 1900) — 18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

to grant is to enable, permit, allow

In fact, the life (Acts 11:18) is life in Christ; otherwise, a broken free-willian philosophy results as exhibited in your "The Bible puts the gift of the Holy Spirit - The spirit himself after repentance" because the Apostles do not say what you say.
there is no life in Christ without faith in Christ

John 6:53 (KJV 1900) — 53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

John 5:40 (KJV 1900) — 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

John 20:31 (KJV 1900) — 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

denying that all spiritual blessing are in Christ

Ephesians 1:3 (KJV 1900) — 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

your theology denies scripture and the centrality of Christ in salvation

FREEWILL AS TAUGHT IN SCRIPTURE

by Brian H. Wagner, Ph.D., instructor of church history, theology and biblical languages at Virginia Baptist College

How often have I read in various Facebook theological discussions the declaration of a Calvinist – “Freewill is not taught in Scriptures”? Of course, the freedom of will to go against one’s nature, even for God, is not possible. It is impossible for God to lie or to deny Himself (Titus 1:2, Heb 6:18, 2 Tim 2:13). And it is impossible for me to y by just apping my arms. But the ability to freely make decisions commensurate with the limits of one’s nature and with the opportunities provided for such decision making is logically part of God’s and man’s nature and experience. The exercise of that ability by God and by man is also well documented in Scripture. And I can y… if I decide to get on an airplane and allow its power to transport me through the air!

The following is an attempt at a rather thorough study of words used in the OT and NT that teach aspects and examples of the exercise of freewill. The reader will hopefully become convinced, contrary to Calvinistic dramatic false statements in opposition, that freewill is clearly taught in the Scriptures –

The Hebrew word [verb] נדב naw-dab’ is a primitive root that means – to impel; hence, to volunteer (as a soldier), to present spontaneously…primarily translated as an adverb “willingly” which indicates free motivation or voluntary decision. It is used 17 times in 15 verses throughout OT Scripture [also 3 times in 3 verses using the same root in Aramaic – Ezra 7:13, 15, 16]. (Most of definitions for this paper are adapted from Strong’s Concordance lexical definitions.)

Here are all the verses that translate this word, נדב naw-dab’, with the translation of it underlined. The ESV translation for each verse was chosen to accommodate Calvinist readers, so they won’t have to keep running back to their favorite translation, which is deterministically flavored.

Exod 25:2 ESV “… From every man whose heart moves him you shall receive the contribution for me.

Exod 35:21 ESV And they came, everyone whose heart stirred him, and everyone whose spirit moved him….

Exod 35:29 ESV All the men and women, the people of Israel, whose heart moved them to bring anything for the work that the LORD had commanded by Moses to be done brought it as a freewill offering to the LORD.

Judg 5:2 ESV …that the leaders took the lead in Israel, that the people offered themselves willingly, bless the LORD!

Ezr 7:13 ESV – 13 I make a decree that anyone of the people of Israel or their priests or Levites in my kingdom, who freely offers to go to Jerusalem, may go with you.

—-[The verbal form in this last verse is a participle, on the Hithpael stem, which is reflexive in meaning, thus the word “themselves” should be added. This Hithpael verbal stem is used 17 times in the same reflexive way – Jg 5:2, 9; 1Ch 29:5, 6, 9(2x), 14, 17(2x); 2Ch 17:16; Ezr 1:6, 2:68, 3:5, 7:13, 15, 16; Neh 11:2]. The reflexive action only helps to emphasize the non-compulsory action of the person’s will in the decision made in each context—-

The noun נדבה ned-aw-baw’ is used 26 times in 25 verses, mostly in connection with a voluntary – “freewill” – offering to God. With all these verses one cannot help but ask “How can you have a freewill offering without a freewill?” Calvinists reject its normal meaning, but the Bible literally uses the word 26 times. Even the Calvinist translators of the KJV and ESV freely chose “freewill” as a suitable translation. Their translation choice is telling of what they believed this original word meant.

Here are the verses in which this noun is used:

Exod 35:29 ESV All the men and women, the people of Israel, whose heart moved them to bring anything for the work that the LORD had commanded by Moses to be done brought it as a freewill offering to the LORD. —-[The idea in this verse of a sacri ce made as a free-will offering, one not commanded as an obligation, is also found in – Ex 36:3; Le 7:16; 22:18, 21, 23; 23:38; Nu 15:3; 29:39; De 12:6, 17; 16:10; 2Ch 31:14; Ezr 1:4; 3:5; 8:28; Ps 54:6; 119:108; Eze 46:12(2x); Am 4:5]

Deut 23:23 ESV You shall be careful to do what has passed your lips, for you have voluntarily vowed to the LORD your God what you have promised with your mouth.

2Ch 35:8 ESV And his of cials contributed willingly to the people, to the priests, and to the Levites….

Ps 68:9 ESV Rain in abundance, O God, you shed abroad; you restored your inheritance as it languished;

Ps 110:3 ESV Your people will offer themselves freely on the day of your power, in holy garments; from the womb of the morning, the dew of your youth will be yours.

Hos 14:4 ESV I will heal their apostasy; I will love them freely, for my anger has turned from them.

—All these OT verses clearly confirm that man, even an unregenerate man, can exercise a free-will in a manner pleasing to God. Even God is said to exercise His freewill in Hos 14:4. The translation in Ps 68:9 was obviously determined with some subjectivity. It could easily be translated – “A shower of freewill gifts, O God, you have shed abroad…”

Here are some NT words and verses to consider that also speak to the issue of the freedom of the will. A Calvinist may try to attribute all of the following examples as a result of regeneration, but that does not seem to t this rst example –

Acts 17:11-12 ESV Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so. Many of them therefore believed, with not a few Greek women of high standing as well as men.

—-[from προθυμια proth-oo-mee’-ah, meaning predisposition. See also 2Co 8:11, 12, 19, 9:2;] The Calvinist may endeavor to suggest this willing predisposition of the Bereans was a result of regeneration, which they think is before faith is expressed. It is very difficult to convince them otherwise when their loyalty to Calvinism is so strong that they refuse to see the gospel of John clearly teaches light is freely received before faith which is before new birth life is given. See John 1:4-13, 12:35-36, 20:30-31.

Other NT verses to consider that speak to the issue of freewill are these –

1Cor 7:37 ESV But whoever is firmly established in his heart, being under no necessity but having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart, to keep her as his betrothed, he will do well. —-from μη ἔχων ἀνάγκην , literally – “not having a necessity”, which would be impossible if everything was predetermined eternally and immutably, making every event a necessary result of God’s decree. Notice also the verse says this man “having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart.”

1Cor 9:17 ESV For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship. —- from εχων hek-own’ meaning willingly.

2Cor 8:3 ESV For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own accord, and 2Cor 8:17 ESV For he not only accepted our appeal, but being himself very earnest he is going to you of his own accord. —-from αυθαιρετος owthah’-ee-ret-os – meaning self-chosen, and by implication – voluntary.

2Cor 9:7 ESV Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. —- from προαιρεομαι pro-ahee-reh’-om-ahee – meaning to choose for oneself before another thing, to prefer and by implication, to intend.

Phlm 1:14 ESV but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own accord. —- from εκουσιος hek-oo’see-on – meaning willingness.

1Pet 5:2 ESV shepherd the ock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; —-from εκουσιον hek-oo-see’-ose – meaning willingly.

The existence of a free will, even post regeneration, runs counter to the idea of an eternally immutable divine will that had completely determined everything forever into the future before creation began. Calvinism is based upon that philosophical premise, making the exercise of any free-will for God or man impossible, before creation and especially after it. That premise makes a falsehood out of these clear Scriptures shared here. These Scriptures and many others clearly show that free will does exist and is being exercised by God and man.
This is undoubtedly the worst defense for man's free will I have ever read, pitiful! That's what a Ph.D. does for men, it deceives them, causing them to think they are wiser than the average believer. I rather listen to a fishermen, or carpenter, or any blue collar worker sharing his mediation of the scriptures any day of the week!

As we shall see throughout this post,, TomL declares and demands that his faith is not of the Author and Perfecter of the one faith, the Faithful One Jesus Christ.

Same old repeated comments. Calvin and yourself hold to the same doctrine

And more than Calvin are seen in opposition to your doctrine

and john 6:29 has been addressed repeaded

John 6:27 (NASB 2020) — 27 Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that lasts for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.”

Calvinists tend toward isolating verses from their context do they can read their theology into the text

The phrase work of God has been defined for us by verse 28

John 6:28 (NASB 2020) — 28 Therefore they said to Him, “What are we to do, so that we may accomplish the works of God?”

In context its meaning is that which God requires of man

Repeating the same failed claims changes nothing

John 6:27 (NASB 2020) — 27 Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that lasts for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.”

Jesus tells them there is something they must do to obtain the food which last for eternal life

in context it is to believe on him

John 6:35–36 (NASB 2020) — 35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; the one who comes to Me will not be hungry, and the one who believes in Me will never be thirsty. 36 But I said to you that you have indeed seen Me, and yet you do not believe.

John 6:28 (NASB 2020) — 28 Therefore they said to Him, “What are we to do, so that we may accomplish the works of God?”

Again this establishes the meaning of the phrase the work of God as that which is required by God

John 6:29 (NASB 2020) — 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

Jesus tells them they must believe

John 6:30 (NASB 2020) — 30 So they said to Him, “What then are You doing as a sign, so that we may see, and believe You? What work are You performing?

The jew understand him to be telling them they must believe.

An understanding confirmed by Christ as per verse 35 above

They must believe

An understanding confirmed by scripture

Acts 16:30–31 (NASB 2020) — 30 and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

even Calvinist commentator agree with this obvious reading

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Believe. Faith is put as a moral act or work. The work of God is to believe. Faith includes all the works which God requires. The Jews’ question contemplates numerous works. Jesus’ answer directs them to one work. Canon Westcott justly observes that “this simple formula contains the complete solution of the relation of faith and works.”11 Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament (vol. 2; New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887), 148–149.

What precisely is it that God waits for us to do, and will be satisfied with our doing? To which Jesus, always ready to meet the sincere inquirer, gives the explicit answer (ver. 29) τοῦτό ἐστι … ἐκεῖνος. If God has sent a messenger it is because there is need of such interposition, and the first duty must be to listen believingly to this messenger.

Marcus Dods, The Gospel of St. John (New York: George H. Doran Company, n.d.), 752.

The meaning is not,—that faith is wrought in us by God, is the work of God; but that the truest way of working the work of God is to believe on Him whom He hath sent.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 761.

Even the notes to the Geneva bible refute you

Verse 29
5. Men torment themselves in vain when they try to please God without faith.
g. That is, this is the work that God requires, that you believe in me, and therefore he calls them back to faith.

Geneva Bible Notes (1599). (Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2003), Jn 6:28–29.

You are quoting your god Calvin, again.

Your heart's treasure "John 6:28 establishes the meaning of the phrase the work of God as that which is required by God John 6:29" subjugates the Word of God as inferior to the word of man, that is, your context is the traditions of man (Matthew 15:9); in other words, your treasure adulterates the Holy Word of God resulting in a replacement thing called the word of TomL.

Your adulteration of Holy Word of God is evident in your quotations augmented with your heart's thoughts in your posts:
The word of TomL The Word of God
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is not the work of God but this is the work of man, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”
(TomL 6:29)
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”
(John 6:29)
And so go your adulterations of the Holy Word of God again and again and again.

Lord Jesus has me here proclaiming that His sayings are pure, clear, and precise “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29), so you practice lawlessness with your "Utter nonsense" about the Word of God recorded in John 6:29 (proof post #2,126), and no Christian calls the Word of God "Utter nonsense".

You heart's faulty redefinition of Christ's "the work of God" into your "the work of man" by way of
John 6:28 (NASB 1995) — 28Therefore they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?”

Again this establishes the meaning of the phrase the work of God as that which is required by God
is your man generated deception because Lord Jesus Christ eliminates man as a cause factor because Christ's fully complete definition of saving faith/belief occurs in this single sentence:

This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent
So every occurrence of saving faith/belief is governed by the Author and Perfecter of the one faith/belief! Glory be to God in the highest!

You do not receive "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (the Word of God, John 6:29) which declares who God is and who man is.

The King of Glory's the work of God specifically includes God's work while specifically excluding "the work of man"; therefore, every mention of saving faith/belief in the Holy Scripture is governed by King Jesus' blessed definition.

Since you wrote “In context its meaning is that which God requires of man” (the word of TomL), then your heart converts John 6:29 into “This is the work of man that God requires of you, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (the traditions of man as authored by TomL, see Matthew 15:9); therefore, you disobey the voice from Heaven saying "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5) because you listen to man instead of listening to the beloved Son.

The full and complete context of “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (the Author and Perfecter of the faith, John 6:29) is specifically “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29).

As is evident, you call “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29) your abominable "Utter nonsense".

Your heart makes false statements about God and man. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men that leads to worship in vain (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE THE AUTHOR AND PERFECTER OF THE ONE FAITH!!!

As we shall see throughout this post,, TomL declares and demands that his faith is not of the Author and Perfecter of the one faith, the Faithful One Jesus Christ.

You are quoting your god Calvin, again.

Your heart's treasure "John 6:28 establishes the meaning of the phrase the work of God as that which is required by God John 6:29" subjugates the Word of God as inferior to the word of man, that is, your context is the traditions of man (Matthew 15:9); in other words, your treasure adulterates the Holy Word of God resulting in a replacement thing called the word of TomL.

Your adulteration of Holy Word of God is evident in your quotations augmented with your heart's thoughts in your posts:
The word of TomLThe Word of God
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is not the work of God but this is the work of man, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”
(TomL 6:29)
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

Lord Jesus has me here proclaiming that His sayings are pure, clear, and precise “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29), so you practice lawlessness with your "Utter nonsense" about the Word of God recorded in John 6:29 (proof post #2,126), and no Christian calls the Word of God "Utter nonsense".

You heart's faulty redefinition of Christ's "the work of God" into your "the work of man" by way of

is your man generated deception because Lord Jesus Christ eliminates man as a cause factor because Christ's fully complete definition of saving faith/belief occurs in this single sentence:
This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent
(John 6:29)​
So every occurrence of saving faith/belief is governed by the Author and Perfecter of the one faith/belief! Glory be to God in the highest!

You do not receive "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent" (the Word of God, John 6:29) which declares who God is and who man is.

The King of Glory's the work of God specifically includes God's work while specifically excluding "the work of man"; therefore, every mention of saving faith/belief in the Holy Scripture is governed by King Jesus' blessed definition.

Since you wrote “In context its meaning is that which God requires of man” (the word of TomL), then your heart converts John 6:29 into “This is the work of man that God requires of you, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (the traditions of man as authored by TomL, see Matthew 15:9); therefore, you disobey the voice from Heaven saying "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5) because you listen to man instead of listening to the beloved Son.

The full and complete context of “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (the Author and Perfecter of the faith, John 6:29) is specifically “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29).

As is evident, you call “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29) your abominable "Utter nonsense".

Your heart makes false statements about God and man. Free-will is a conjured concept of the traditions of men that leads to worship in vain (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE THE AUTHOR AND PERFECTER OF THE ONE FAITH!!!
Unfortunately for you it was not just Calvin

and repeating his name does not change the facts

Calvinists tend toward isolating verses from their context do they can read their theology into the text

The phrase work of God has been defined for us by verse 28

In context its meaning is that which God requires of man

Repeating the same failed claims changes nothing

Jesus tells them there is something they must do to obtain the food which last for eternal life

in context it is to believe on him

John 6:35–36 (NASB 2020) — 35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; the one who comes to Me will not be hungry, and the one who believes in Me will never be thirsty. 36 But I said to you that you have indeed seen Me, and yet you do not believe.

John 6:29 (NASB 2020) — 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

Jesus tells them they must believe

John 6:30 (NASB 2020) — 30 So they said to Him, “What then are You doing as a sign, so that we may see, and believe You? What work are You performing?

The jews understand him to be telling them they must believe.

An understanding confirmed by Christ as per verse 35 above

They must believe

Acts 16:30–31 (NASB 2020) — 30 and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

John Calvin: “People who infer from this passage that faith is God’s gift are mistaken, for Christ does not show here what God produces in us, but what God wants and requires from us.” (The Crossway Classic Commentaries: John; Crossway Books; Wheaton, IL; 1994, p.393)

This is the work of God. This is the thing that will be acceptable to God, or which you are to do in order to be saved. Jesus did not tell them they had nothing to do, or that they were to sit down and wait, but that there was a work to perform, and that was a duty that was imperative. It was to believe on the Messiah. This is the work which sinners are to do; and doing this they will be saved, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, Ro. 10:4.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Believe. Faith is put as a moral act or work. The work of God is to believe. Faith includes all the works which God requires. The Jews’ question contemplates numerous works. Jesus’ answer directs them to one work. Canon Westcott justly observes that “this simple formula contains the complete solution of the relation of faith and works.”11 Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament (vol. 2; New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887), 148–149.

What precisely is it that God waits for us to do, and will be satisfied with our doing? To which Jesus, always ready to meet the sincere inquirer, gives the explicit answer (ver. 29) τοῦτό ἐστι … ἐκεῖνος. If God has sent a messenger it is because there is need of such interposition, and the first duty must be to listen believingly to this messenger.

Marcus Dods, The Gospel of St. John (New York: George H. Doran Company, n.d.), 752.

The meaning is not,—that faith is wrought in us by God, is the work of God; but that the truest way of working the work of God is to believe on Him whom He hath sent.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 761.

Even the notes to the Geneva bible refute you

Verse 29
g. That is, this is the work that God requires, that you believe in me, and therefore he calls them back to faith.

Geneva Bible Notes (1599). (Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2003), Jn 6:28–29.

Mindlessly repeating your view does not negate what the scripture clearly shows

This is undoubtedly the worst defense for man's free will I have ever read, pitiful! That's what a Ph.D. does for men, it deceives them, causing them to think they are wiser than the average believer. I rather listen to a fishermen, or carpenter, or any blue collar worker sharing his mediation of the scriptures any day of the week!
You are free to express your opinion. In my view however, you have done nothing at all to support it

It is not a defense for man's free will. It is the mistaken assumption that if someone tells you to choose, you must have the ability to comply.

It is not a defense for man's free will. It is the mistaken assumption that if someone tells you to choose, you must have the ability to comply.
I would say that depends on whether you believe God is a credible source. See I happen to think God does not play with men

in keeping with his character and word

They must believe

It is a shame Arminian heretics like you have abused this text as a cry for regeneration by the sound of words. But we have heard them use Revelation 3:20, we know they are capable of any corruption of sense. If they were consistent, they would build an evangelistic tool from Peter’s words (Matt 14:30)! Denying man’s depravity and adoring freewill, they think all are an earthquake from salvation! They forget that Jesus said even a resurrection from the dead will not persuade (Luke 16:31). Other earthquakes have had an entirely different effect, hardening men (Luke 23:30; Revelation 6;16; 9:6).

We know if this was a sincere question (which it was) for spiritual truth about God and salvation, he was already born again. There are none that fear God or seek God naturally, so any true fear or seeking were by God! A broken and contrite heart that got the apostle’s sincere response was a result of regeneration! Jesus answered insincere persons with provocative and confusing answers (John 6:24-66; 8:30-59).

Since the time of his regeneration is not identified, we do not know on what side of Paul’s cry. Spirit regeneration is like the wind, it blows where it wills, and we only see evidence (John 3:8).

What in the world was the jailor seeking? Can we find the sense (Nehemiah 8:8; 2nd Timothy 2:15)?

We do not settle theological or sotierological issues by historical accounts of speculations by pagans! Nebuchadnezzar declared he saw a man in the fiery furnace like the Son of God (Daniel 3:25)! We first know this speculative guess is wrong by the rest of scripture (Luke 1:35; John 1:14). We second know this speculative guess is wrong by the ignorance of the speaker (Daniel 3:1-6). And in this particular case of Nebuchadnezzar, the context explains he saw an angel (Dan 3:28).

The jailor’s request was not that of a theological student but rather a terrified pagan Roman. Consider first the things that by the context and scriptural declarations about man he was not asking. He was not a weekend theological student like Martin Luther asking for justification by faith. He had not read Billy Graham’s book about the new birth and was asking to be born again. The jailor was not asking Paul and Silas to hear more about Jesus Christ by their fine singing. The jailor was not asking Paul and Silas to repeat his favorite sermon that he had heard earlier. He was not asking to hear more about the streets of gold that he had heard them singing about. He was not asking for four phases – election, predestination, reconciliation, or glorification. He did not know God’s holy claims against him by Adam and his sins and need of deliverance. The jailor was not asking Paul and Silas how they cast out the damsel’s devil with a Name.

Consider then the things that by context and scriptural declarations of grace he might have thought.

He may have feared the earthquake and spoke like Peter (Matt 14:30), but we grant him more. He was afraid of the consequences of prisoners escaping, but we give him credit for more here. The creation reveals God’s eternal power, and regeneration makes it convicting (Rom 1:18-23). The providence of the situation also revealed divine power, which is further convicting as above. The conscience of the man, the candle of the Lord, was pricked by Paul’s response (Ac 16:28). With the longings of Cornelius, but much more ignorant, he sought hope toward God and life. Under great fear and conviction, he was seeking peace with God and hope for a hopeless life. Maybe he knew the frequent testimony of the devil-possessed damsel about the men (Ac 16:17). He likely had vague notions, made lively by regeneration, of God and coming eternal judgment. He did not do more than what God expects your conduct to solicit from others (I Peter 3:15). As shown above, and as could be proved by many scriptures, he was already born again before faith.

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.​

And thou shalt be saved.​

To study this verse, you should first be established in the full doctrine of all phases of salvation.

Faith of any kind does not change a person’s standing before God, which was secured by Jesus. Faith is the evidence and proof of eternal life by which sinners lay hold of it for assurance. The man who believes on Jesus Christ will be saved from a Legion of heresies of false doctrine. The man who believes on Jesus Christ will be saved in the great Day of Judgment from the lake of fire. .

It is a shame Arminian sophists have abused this text as means for regeneration based on the sound of words; but as I said~ if you have heard them use Rev 3:20, you know they are capable of any corruption.

What did Paul offer? Can we wisely find the sense of his words (Nehemiah 8:8; 2nd Timothy 2:15)? Paul did not offer the jailor election, predestination, justification, regeneration, or any such thing.

As we have said many times over~three phases of salvation occur prior to believing (eternal, legal, and vital), and there are two phases that follow it (practical and final). If you do not learn these, this passage is beyond you.

Paul offered him peace with God and hope through the gospel of Jesus Christ, and he further offered by the Spirit the same peace and hope for his entire family. Paul offered the means of gospel salvation and the evidence of final salvation, by belief in Christ. Paul did not offer him anything at all by mere faith alone (James 2:14-26; Galatians 5:6; 1st Thessalonians 1:2-4).

Contrary to all Fundamentalists, this is not the formula for regeneration of dead men to eternal life.

Regeneration precedes any faith or action toward God (John 1:13; 3:3-8; 5:24-25; Ist John 5:1). There was no question about the Lordship of Jesus Christ ~ He is the Lord and proved it to him! There was nothing of inviting Jesus into his heart or other Arminian sophism mentioned at all. There is no prayer offered or repeated, for they had to teach him the gospel record of Jesus first. The jailor believed because he was ordained to eternal life, not the other way around (Acts 13:48). We do not from this supernatural operation of God form jail ministries for blaspheming criminals. Paul did not visit the prison to minister – Paul was inside the prison bars for casting out devils! The jailor called on Paul, rather than Paul calling on him, for the Lord made the great change. It is a fact of life or law of nature that prisoners will pray just as those on the deck of the Titanic.

Last edited:
It is a shame Arminian heretics like you have abused this text as a cry for regeneration by the sound of words.
First I am not an Arminian

Second it is your theology which is derived from manichean gnosticism that is the heresy here

I had stated

They must believe

red baker does not addrses it
But we have heard them use Revelation 3:20, we know they are capable of any corruption of sense. If they were consistent, they would build an evangelistic tool from Peter’s words (Matt 14:30)! Denying man’s depravity and adoring freewill, they think all are an earthquake from salvation! They forget that Jesus said even a resurrection from the dead will not persuade (Luke 16:31). Other earthquakes have had an entirely different effect, hardening men (Luke 23:30; Revelation 6;16; 9:6).

but rambles on

We know if this was a sincere question (which it was) for spiritual truth about God and salvation, he was already born again. There are none that fear God or seek God naturally, so any true fear or seeking were by God! A broken and contrite heart that got the apostle’s sincere response was a result of regeneration! Jesus answered insincere persons with provocative and confusing answers (John 6:24-66; 8:30-59).
No actually we do not know that. Nowhere does the bible state men are incapable of responding to God

but addressing the fear of God

Acts 13:16 (KJV 1900) — 16 Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience.

Genesis 22:12 (KJV 1900) — 12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

Exodus 18:21 (KJV 1900) — 21 Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them, to be rulers of thousands, and rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens:

Job 1:9 (KJV 1900) — 9 Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

Psalm 34:7 (KJV 1900) — 7 The angel of the LORD encampeth Round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.

Psalm 66:16 (KJV 1900) — 16 Come and hear, all ye that fear God, And I will declare what he hath done for my soul.

Psalm 85:9 (KJV 1900) — 9 Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him; That glory may dwell in our land.

scripture shows they are those that feared the lord

seeking God ?

Acts 17:26-27: From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out to him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us.

Hosea 5:15 (KJV) — 15 I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offence, and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early.

2 Chronicles 11:16 (KJV) — 16 And after them out of all the tribes of Israel such as set their hearts to seek the LORD God of Israel came to Jerusalem, to sacrifice unto the LORD God of their fathers.

2 Chronicles 19:3 (KJV) — 3 Nevertheless there are good things found in thee, in that thou hast taken away the groves out of the land, and hast prepared thine heart to seek God.

2 Chronicles 20:3 (KJV) — 3 And Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the LORD, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah.

2 Chronicles 20:4 (KJV) — 4 And Judah gathered themselves together, to ask help of the LORD: even out of all the cities of Judah they came to seek the LORD.

2 Chronicles 30:18–20 (KJV) — 18 For a multitude of the people, even many of Ephraim, and Manasseh, Issachar, and Zebulun, had not cleansed themselves, yet did they eat the passover otherwise than it was written. But Hezekiah prayed for them, saying, The good LORD pardon every one 19 That prepareth his heart to seek God, the LORD God of his fathers, though he be not cleansed according to the purification of the sanctuary. 20 And the LORD hearkened to Hezekiah, and healed the people.

2 Chronicles 34:3 (KJV) — 3 For in the eighth year of his reign, while he was yet young, he began to seek after the God of David his father: and in the twelfth year he began to purge Judah and Jerusalem from the high places, and the groves, and the carved images, and the molten images.

Ezra 6:21 (KJV) — 21 And the children of Israel, which were come again out of captivity, and all such as had separated themselves unto them from the filthiness of the heathen of the land, to seek the LORD God of Israel, did eat,

Ezra 7:10 (KJV) — 10 For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the LORD, and to do it, and to teach in Israel statutes and judgments.

Isaiah 58:2 (KJV) — 2 Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.

Psalm 9:10 (KJV) — 10 And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

As may be seen there are many verses contradicting your claim

So as stated he was not born again

It is simply not possible to be born again under the new covenant apart from faith in Christ

John 6:53 (KJV 1900) — 53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Ephesians 1:3 (KJV 1900) — 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Since the time of his regeneration is not identified, we do not know on what side of Paul’s cry. Spirit regeneration is like the wind, it blows where it wills, and we only see evidence (John 3:8).
We know from john in chap 3

John 3:9–15 (KJV 1900) — 9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? 10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? 13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

that jesus told us how it is that men are born again

Chapter 1 as well

John 1:12 (ESV) — 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,

all who receive Christ have that right

One is a child of God through regeneration

(5) The “children of God.”—Those who are “begotten of God” are ipso facto “children of God” (tékna theoú, Jn 1:12; 11:52; 1 Jn 3:1, 2, 10; 5:2).1

1 R. Law, “Johannine, Theology, The,” ed. James Orr et al., The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia (Chicago: The Howard-Severance Company, 1915), 1703.

CHILDREN OF GOD. Persons in this category are only those who of the fallen race are regenerated as a result of faith in Christ1

1 Merrill F. Unger, “Children of God,” ed. R.K. Harrison, The New Unger’s Bible Dictionary (Chicago: Moody Press, 1988).

Children of God (tekna theou). In the full spiritual sense, not as mere offspring of God true of all men (Acts 17:28). Paul's phrase huioi theou (Galatians 3:26) for believers, used also by Jesus of the pure in heart (Matthew 5:9), does not occur in John's Gospel (but in Rev. 21:7). It is possible that John prefers ta tekna tou theou for the spiritual children of God whether Jew or Gentile (John 11:52) because of the community of nature (teknon from root tek-, to beget). But one cannot follow Westcott in insisting on "adoption" as Paul's reason for the use of huioi since Jesus uses huioi theou in Matthew 5:9. Clearly the idea of regeneration is involved here as in John 3:3.

Word Pictures in the New Testament.

Vincent agrees

Sons (τέκνα)

Rev., more correctly, children. Son is υἱός. Τέκνον, child (τίκτω, to bring forth), denotes a relation based on community of nature

Word Studies in the New Testament.

τέκνα θ. γενέσθαι] The spiritual life owes its beginning to a birth from above, ch. 3:3–7. And this birth is owing to the Holy Spirit of God; so that this is equivalent to saying, ‘As many as received Him, to them gave He His Holy Spirit.’ And we find that it was so: see Acts 10:44.

Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 684.

end pt1

What in the world was the jailor seeking? Can we find the sense (Nehemiah 8:8; 2nd Timothy 2:15)?
Nehemiah 8:8 (ESV) — 8 They read from the book, from the Law of God, clearly, and they gave the sense, so that the people understood the reading.

Nothing there to contradict what Paul answered the jailor

Acts 16:30–31 (ESV) — 30 Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Nor here
2 Timothy 2:15 (ESV) — 15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

We do not settle theological or sotierological issues by historical accounts of speculations by pagans!
Um Paul is not a pagan and he stated

Acts 16:31 (ESV) — 31 And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Nebuchadnezzar declared he saw a man in the fiery furnace like the Son of God (Daniel 3:25)! We first know this speculative guess is wrong by the rest of scripture (Luke 1:35; John 1:14). We second know this speculative guess is wrong by the ignorance of the speaker (Daniel 3:1-6). And in this particular case of Nebuchadnezzar, the context explains he saw an angel (Dan 3:28).
Totally irrelevant to the passage before us

The jailor’s request was not that of a theological student but rather a terrified pagan Roman. Consider first the things that by the context and scriptural declarations about man he was not asking. He was not a weekend theological student like Martin Luther asking for justification by faith. He had not read Billy Graham’s book about the new birth and was asking to be born again. The jailor was not asking Paul and Silas to hear more about Jesus Christ by their fine singing. The jailor was not asking Paul and Silas to repeat his favorite sermon that he had heard earlier. He was not asking to hear more about the streets of gold that he had heard them singing about. He was not asking for four phases – election, predestination, reconciliation, or glorification. He did not know God’s holy claims against him by Adam and his sins and need of deliverance. The jailor was not asking Paul and Silas how they cast out the damsel’s devil with a Name.
Acts 16:30–31 (ESV) — 30 Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

But Paul and company were and more and stated

Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
agreeing with all of scripture

John 3:16 (ESV) — 16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 10:8–11 (ESV) — 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.”

John 20:31 (ESV) — 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Consider then the things that by context and scriptural declarations of grace he might have thought.

He may have feared the earthquake and spoke like Peter (Matt 14:30), but we grant him more. He was afraid of the consequences of prisoners escaping, but we give him credit for more here. The creation reveals God’s eternal power, and regeneration makes it convicting (Rom 1:18-23). The providence of the situation also revealed divine power, which is further convicting as above. The conscience of the man, the candle of the Lord, was pricked by Paul’s response (Ac 16:28). With the longings of Cornelius, but much more ignorant, he sought hope toward God and life. Under great fear and conviction, he was seeking peace with God and hope for a hopeless life. Maybe he knew the frequent testimony of the devil-possessed damsel about the men (Ac 16:17). He likely had vague notions, made lively by regeneration, of God and coming eternal judgment. He did not do more than what God expects your conduct to solicit from others (I Peter 3:15). As shown above, and as could be proved by many scriptures, he was already born again before faith.
Sorry you provide no proof he was regenerate

Your claim denies scripture

John 6:53 (ESV) — 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

John 5:40 (ESV) — 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

Ephesians 1:3 (ESV) — 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,

as you seek to impart life to man apart from Christ

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.​

And thou shalt be saved.​

To study this verse, you should first be established in the full doctrine of all phases of salvation.

Faith of any kind does not change a person’s standing before God, which was secured by Jesus. Faith is the evidence and proof of eternal life by which sinners lay hold of it for assurance. The man who believes on Jesus Christ will be saved from a Legion of heresies of false doctrine. The man who believes on Jesus Christ will be saved in the great Day of Judgment from the lake of fire.

No faith is the instrumental means of obtaining saslvation

John 20:31 (ESV) — 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

This verse tells us that

1 it is written that men might believe
2 believing is that men might have life

In it, we see two actions which have for each action a purpose

written - that you might believe

believe - that you might have life

An action performed for a purpose cannot have the purpose fulfilled before the action

You are twisting scripture if you claim faith is the evidence one already has eternal life

It is a shame Arminian sophists have abused this text as means for regeneration based on the sound of words; but as I said~ if you have heard them use Rev 3:20, you know they are capable of any corruption.

You fail to show any but yourself have abused scripture

There is no way you can be faithful to scripture and posit faith is merely information of an already accomplished fact

And as the discussion does not concern rev 3:20 your discussion of it is rather irrelevant

BTW even Calvin refutes your unbiblical claim

Faith as an Instrumental cause

John 3:16 (KJV 1900) — 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The efficient (primary) cause of our eternal salvation the Scripture uniformly proclaims to be the mercy and free love of the heavenly Father towards us; the material cause to be Christ, with the obedience by which he purchased righteousness for us; and what can the formal or instrumental cause be but faith? John includes the three in one sentence when he says, “God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life,” (John 3:16).

That is not the word of an Arminian or a provisionist but of

John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion (Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 1997).

Similarly The Calvinist Theologian Berkouwer states

3. TO FAITH. Faith is the mediate or instrumental cause of sanctification as well as of justification. It does not merit sanctification any more than it does justification, but it unites us to Christ and keeps us in touch with Him as the Head of the new humanity, who is the source of the new life within us, and also of our progressive sanctification, through the operation of the Holy Spirit

L. Berkhof, Systematic Theology (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans publishing co., 1938), 537.

There is not just a correlation between faith and justification, faith and regeneration , faith and salvation

There is a causal relationship even Calvinist theologians have affirmed

Regeneration precedes any faith or action toward God (John 1:13; 3:3-8; 5:24-25; Ist John 5:1).
SDorry john 1:12

Show any who receive Christ receive the right to be regenerated by God becoming his child

John 1:12 (ESV) — 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,

Children of God (tekna theou). In the full spiritual sense, not as mere offspring of God true of all men (Acts 17:28). Paul's phrase huioi theou (Galatians 3:26) for believers, used also by Jesus of the pure in heart (Matthew 5:9), does not occur in John's Gospel (but in Rev. 21:7). It is possible that John prefers ta tekna tou theou for the spiritual children of God whether Jew or Gentile (John 11:52) because of the community of nature (teknon from root tek-, to beget). But one cannot follow Westcott in insisting on "adoption" as Paul's reason for the use of huioi since Jesus uses huioi theou in Matthew 5:9. Clearly the idea of regeneration is involved here as in John 3:3.
Word Pictures in the New Testament.

Vincent agrees
Sons (τέκνα)
Rev., more correctly, children. Son is υἱός. Τέκνον, child (τίκτω, to bring forth), denotes a relation based on community of nature
Word Studies in the New Testament.

τέκνα θ. γενέσθαι] The spiritual life owes its beginning to a birth from above, ch. 3:3–7. And this birth is owing to the Holy Spirit of God; so that this is equivalent to saying, ‘As many as received Him, to them gave He His Holy Spirit.’ And we find that it was so: see Acts 10:44.
Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 684.

(5) The “children of God.”—Those who are “begotten of God” are ipso facto “children of God” (tékna theoú, Jn 1:12; 11:52; 1 Jn 3:1, 2, 10; 5:2).1

1 R. Law, “Johannine, Theology, The,” ed. James Orr et al., The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia (Chicago: The Howard-Severance Company, 1915), 1703.

CHILDREN OF GOD. Persons in this category are only those who of the fallen race are regenerated as a result of faith in Christ1

1 Merrill F. Unger, “Children of God,” ed. R.K. Harrison, The New Unger’s Bible Dictionary (Chicago: Moody Press, 1988).

John 3:3-8 says nothing at all about regeneration preceding faith and if you continue reading you would see Jesus explains how it is

John 3:9–15 (ESV) — 9 Nicodemus said to him, “How can these things be?” 10 Jesus answered him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you do not receive our testimony. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.

John 5:24,25

opposes your view

John 5:24–25 (ESV) — 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. 25 “Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.

Showing life follows after hearing

John 5:25

And now is (και νυν ἐστιν [kai nun estin]). See 4:23 for this phrase. Not the future resurrection in verse 28, but the spiritual resurrection here and now. The dead (οἱ νεκροι [hoi nekroi]). The spiritually dead, dead in trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1, 5; 5:14). Shall hear the voice of the Son of God (ἀκουσουσιν της φωνης του υἱου του θεου [akousousin tēs phōnēs tou huiou tou theou]). Note three genitives (φωνης [phōnēs] after ἀκουσουσιν [akousousin], υἱου [huiou] with φωνης [phōnēs], θεου [theou] with υἱου [huiou]). Note three articles (correlation of the article) and that Jesus here calls himself “the Son of God” as in 10:36; 11:4. Shall live (ζησουσιν [zēsousin]). Future active indicative, shall come to life spiritually.

A.T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament (Nashville, TN: Broadman Press, 1933), Jn 5:25.

or as John put it here

John 20:31 (KJV 1900) — 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

John writes that you might believe. That is his purpose in writing. He States that believing you might have life

putting the necessity for faith before the reception of life

It is a vicious hermeneutic you employ to try to contradict John's very purpose in writing and his explicit claim

that believing ye might have life through his name.

Try reading again. You don't quote him but you follow his doctrine

Your "You don't quote him but you follow his doctrine" is folly because you quote your god Calvin as shown in your currently quoted post
as your foundation for your free-willian sovereignty of man philosophy.

Furthermore, your "You don't quote him but you follow his doctrine" is false because I never quote your god Calvin as support for the Sovereignty of God, but I quote the Word of God in joyful Truth (John 14:6).

I reject your god Calvin.

same old tired repeat arguments which so not deal with these facts

Jesus told them they must work

John 6:27 (ESV) — 27 Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.”

right off the bat your theology which holds there is nothing they are to do is shown to be error.

2nd Verse 28 defines for us the works of God

as what are we to do'

. What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? That is, such things as God will approve. This was the earnest inquiry of men who were seeking to be saved. They had crossed the Sea of Tiberias to seek him; they supposed him to be the Messiah, and they sincerely desired to be taught the way of life; yet it is observable that they expected to find that way as other sinners commonly do—by their works. The idea of doing something to merit salvation is one of the last that the sinner ever surrenders.

Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Messianic work.

28. τί ποιῶμεν …; What must we do (v. 5) that we may work? Perhaps they understood Him to mean that they must earn what they desire; certainly they see that Christ’s words have a moral meaning; they must do the works required by God. But how?

29. τὸ ἔργον. They probably thought of works of the law, tithes, sacrifices, &c. He tells them of one work, one moral act, from which all the rest derive their value, continuous belief (πιστεύητε, not πιστεύσητε) in Him whom God has sent. Comp. Acts 16:31. On ἵνα and ἀπέστειλεν see on 1:8, 33, 4:47, 17:3.1

1 A. Plummer, The Gospel according to S. John (Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1896), 155.

τὰ ἔργα τοῦ θεοῦ must not be taken to mean ‘the works which God works,’ but, as in Jer. 48:10 (31:10 LXX): 1 Cor. 15:58, the works well pleasing to God.11 Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 760–761.

3rd the Jews clearly understood it was they who were to believe

John 6:30 (KJV 1900) — 30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

fourth Christ affirmed there is something they must do never correcting them

John 6:32–40 (ESV) — 32 Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” 34 They said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.” 35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

You have isolated verse 29 from its context and assumed its meaning

You failed to reasonably address:

God does not believe for anyone

They must do it

Your adulteration of Holy Scripture is evident in your quotations augmented with your heart's thoughts in your posts:
TomL traditions of men Apostolic testimony
TomL 16:30-31 (TSB 2020) - 30 and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They said, “Believe according to the judgment by your own initiative in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.” Acts 16:30-31 (NASB 2020) - 30 and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
And so go your adulterations of Holy Scripture again and again and again.

The Lord eliminates your purported ability to discern according to the judgment by your own initiative the very Righteousness of God when He asked "And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right?" (Luke 12:57), so man's will is incapable of determining the "choosing" of God to amy degree; in reality, Christ alone chooses man unto salvation (John 15:16, John 15:19) with man being the blessed receiver of God's great work. Mere man is not superior to Jesus the Lord who says "Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner'" (John 5:19) and again He mentions initiative in "I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 5:30), but your traditions of men (Matthew 15:9) is that according to the judgment by your own initiative you do choose Righteous Jesus as per your false free-willian philosophy.

The grammar is clear

Lord Jesus Christ's sayings are perfectly clear "that you believe in Him whom He has sent" "is the work of God" (John 6:29).

You subject

verb believe in the active voice

thus they are to believe

We Christians do the believing in Christ of which Christ causes us to do because "that you believe in Him whom He has sent" "is the work of God" (John 6:29).

God is not believing

God is faithful (2 Corinthians 1:18); therefore, your "God is not believing" is false.

and he is not alone as much as you wish otherwise

Your heart's treasure "The phrase work of God has been defined for us by verse 28" subjugates the Word of God as inferior to the word of man, that is, your context is the traditions of man (Matthew 15:9); in other words, your treasure adulterates the Holy Word of God resulting in a replacement thing called the word of TomL.

TomL 6:29 (TSB 2020) - 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is not the work of God but this is the work of man, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” John 6:29 (NASB 2020) - 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

IT's not scripture but your false interpretation of scripture which are Garbage as you mindlessly repeat the same thing time after time

I proclaim the true and pure “you did not choose Me, but I chose you” (the Word of God, John 15:16) and “I chose you out of the world” (the Word of God, John 15:19, includes salvation) where Christ declares foundation for every Christian, but you go full tilt preaching your own interpretation while you label these quotations of the Word of God ss "garbage" (proof post #1,116).

No Christian calls the Word of God "garbage", and we find you calling the Word of God “you did not choose Me, but I chose you” (John 15:16) and “I chose you out of the world” (John 15:19, includes salvation) that God had me proclaim to you "garbage" about this wonderful Word of God (proof post #1,116)!!!

clearly Christ chose his apostles

Ye have not chosen me. The word here translated chosen is that from which is derived the word elect, and means the same thing. It is frequently thus translated, Mar. 13:20; Mat. 24:22, 24, 31; Col. 3:12. It refers here, doubtless, to his choosing or electing them to be apostles. He says that it was not because they had chosen him to be their teacher and guide, but because he had designated them to be his apostles. See Jn. 6:70; also Mat. 4:18–22.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 341.

consider the various choices here

Matthew 22:1–14 (ESV) — 1 And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son, 3 and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come. 4 Again he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.” ’ 5 But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. 7 The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.’ 10 And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests. 11 “But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment. 12 And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.”

You preach "clearly Christ chose his apostles" and nobody else respecting John 15:16-19.

you apostles only did not choose Me, but everyone else can choose Me, and I chose youfor apostleship only, but I choose nobody else
(TomL 15:16)
you did not choose Me, but I chose you
(John 15:16)
I chose you exclusively as apostles for no other purpose
(TomL 15:19, excludes salvation)
I chose you out of the world
(John 15:19, includes salvation)

continued to post #2,592

continued from post #2,591

Sorry that is a logical fallacy

if all disciples are his friends the apostles would be also

You just called "I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me but I chose you" (the Word of God, John 15:15-16 (links to KJV, NASB1995, and YLT)) your abominable “fallacy”. No Christian applies the term “fallacy” to the precious Word of God!

Here is Spiritually logical Truth (John 14:6), all Christ's friends are chosen by Christ and Christ's friends do not choose Chris (John 15:15-16).

You believe that apart from Christ you do choose Christ to be your friend; in contrast, Christ says “apart from Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5).

You responded “Yes” to the question “Do you think you are a friend of Jesus, TomL?” (proof post #576) when John 15:14-19 was quoted in full at the time.

Let’s take a look at Lord Jesus Christ’s usage of “you” with which the above question and answer pertains:

I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me but I chose you
(John 15:15-16 (links to KJV, NASB1995, and YLT)))

You express confused thoughts about the population of Christ’s “you” in the passage. I remind you for this exchange that I consider you to equivocate “apostles” whenever you write “disciples”.

Your response of “Yes” establishes your personal claim of being part of the “you” population inside of God’s blessing of “I have called you friends” (John 15:15), but then in the continuation of the very same blessing, your heart’s “it was Christ words [exclusively] to the disciples messengers he had chosen” eliminates you, TomL, from being a part of the “you” population inside of God’s blessing of “I chose you” (John 15:16); therefore, you are not a chosen friend of Jesus according to your own self-willed heart’s treasure which leavens your whole loaf of free-willian philosophy (Matthew 16:6).

In effect, your “Yes” and “it was Christ words [exclusively] to the disciples messengers he had chosen” expresses a confused (1 Corinthians 14:33) “Yes No” concept about the audience represented in Christ’s “you” recorded in John 15:14-19.

John 15:16 is addressing his apostles who he had chosen

Again Christs choice of his apostles

His disciples were given to him by the Father.

John 17:6–12 (NASB 2020) — 6 “I have revealed Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have followed Your word.

From them he chose 12 to be apostles

Luke 6:13–16 (ESV) — 13 And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles: 14 Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, 15 and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon who was called the Zealot, 16 and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.

John 6:70 (ESV) — 70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve? And yet one of you is a devil.”

John 13:18 (UASV) — 18 I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who eats My bread has lifted up his heel against Me.

Ye have not chosen me. The word here translated chosen is that from which is derived the word elect, and means the same thing. It is frequently thus translated, Mar. 13:20; Mat. 24:22, 24, 31; Col. 3:12. It refers here, doubtless, to his choosing or electing them to be apostles. He says that it was not because they had chosen him to be their teacher and guide, but because he had designated them to be his apostles. See Jn. 6:70; also Mat. 4:18–22.11 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 341.

Matthew 22:1–14 (ESV) — 1 And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son, 3 and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come. 4 Again he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.” ’ 5 But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. 7 The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.’ 10 And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests. 11 “But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment. 12 And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Think of how many times passages like John 15:16 (“You did not choose me; I chose you…”) are used as proof texts for the Calvinistic belief of individual election to salvation when clearly Jesus is speaking to His servants who are being prepared to take the invitation to the rest of the world. They are using Divine Choice #1 as proof for their belief about Divine Choice #3.

Divine Choice #1: The choice of His servants, who were given the task of sending out the invitation.

Divine Choice #2: The choice to send the invitation first to His own and then to all others.

Divine Choice #3: The choice to allow only those clothed in proper wedding garments to enter the feast.

In John 15:16 we have the choice of the apostles

You failed to reasonably address this:

You preach "As for your verses First you simply repeat Christ choice of his disciples but nothing states Christ chose them for salvation" respecting John 15:16-19 (proof post #1,116).

you choose Me for salvation, but I chose not you for salvation
I chose not you out of the world

Nothing, absolutely nothing you wrote eliminates the Truth (John 14:6) that Lord Jesus Christ impacts every disciple in all time with His blessed sayings “you did not choose Me, but I chose you” (the Word of God, John 15:16) and “I chose you out of the world” (the Word of God, John 15:19, includes salvation).

Here is more from the same proof post #1,116. You propounded "As for your verses First you simply repeat Christ choice of his disciples but nothing states Christ chose them unconditionally for salvation" respecting John 15:16-19, and again I perceive that you switched to use "disciples" as an in-situ replacement for "apostles", yet you contradict yourself in your self-will because you reviled these angelic majesties by effectively labeling the Apostles as deceivers with your "Nothing mentioned about Joseph and Matthias being in the audience on that ocassion" as recorded in post #645 of which your thoughts there daringly contradict angelic majesties testimony of the Apostle Peter "men who have accompanied us all the time" (Acts 1:21) while Peter was with all the Apostles.

Joseph and Matthias were a part of the audience in the room when Lord Jesus says "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) and "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation).

So, you call the Apostles all liars because all the remaining Apostles were with the Apostle Peter when Peter testified the Apostolic Right:
TomL Wrong Apostolic Right
21 Therefore it is necessary that of the men who have not accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us - 22 do not concern yourselves whether from the beginning with the baptism of John until the day that He was taken up from us - one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection.” 23 So they put forward two men, Joseph called Barsabbas (who was also called Justus), and Matthias.
(TomL 1:21-23)
21 Therefore it is necessary that of the men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us - 22 beginning with the baptism of John until the day that He was taken up from us - one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection.” 23 So they put forward two men, Joseph called Barsabbas (who was also called Justus), and Matthias.
(Acts 1:21-23)
In the upper room occupied by Jesus' disciples who put forward Matthias and Joseph were Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon the Zealot, and Judas the son of James (Acts 1:13), and these disciples recognized Matthias and Joseph as disciples that were with them from the beginning, and not a single disciple contradicted Peter's prounouncement of "men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us - beginning with the baptism of John until the day that He was taken up from us".

Thus, Matthias and Joseph are at least two more people beyond the Apostles for a minimum total of 13 disciples who are specifically identified at the supper covered in John chapters 13-17; therefore, Lord Jesus Christ's "you" in John 15:16 and John 15:19 extends well beyond the Apostles, in Truth (John 14:6)!

Christ uses "you" to indicate all Christians in all time are chosen by God alone unto salvation as well as to bring the message of Christ's salvation to the world when King Jesus majestically decrees "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) and "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation). Your heart's exclusion of us Christians from Lord Jesus Christ's blessed sayings is your false free-willian philosophy.

And your redefinition of “the work of God” (John 6:29) is semantically illegal and spiritually abysmal.

Your unscriptural preaching that belief in Christ is a work of man has been repeatedly proven false by the Word of God in this thread.

Every Christian Believing In The Son Whom The Father Has Sent Is The Work Of God​

Lord Jesus Christ says in clear, precise, and pure language: “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” (John 6:29).

A voice from Heaven was heard, saying "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5), and we Christians hear Christ.

Let's examine the context of the people's word, and, more importantly, the Word of God speaks the Truth (John 14:6) without human interpretation.

Let’s review the exchange:

they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?” Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” So they said to Him, “What then do You do for a sign, so that we may see, and believe You? What work do You perform? Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, ‘He gave them bread out of heaven to eat.’” Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread out of heaven, but it is My Father who gives you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world.
(John 6:28-33)

The people asked about their own work respecting salvation when they inquired “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God” (John 6:28), yet Christ rightly removed man’s work from anyplace respecting salvation when He responded “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (John 6:29).

The people failed to understand, just like free-willian philosophers, that Lord Jesus removed the work of man from saving belief/faith with the Lord’s marvelous sayings of “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” (John 6:29). Do not be deceived, "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

The people followed up by asking/injecting the work of man, again, with “Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness” (John 6:31) in a manner that free-willian philosophers listen to the people instead of "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

The Lord shifts the focus from man’s purported control to God’s Sovereign control, this second time in the same exchange, with “Truly, truly, I say to you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread out of heaven, but it is My Father who gives you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world.
(John 6:32-33). "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

Behold, the Word of God establishes that faith/belief is given by God without any contribution by man (John 6:29) and, in like manner, life is given by the bread of God without any contribution by man (John 6:32-33).

PRAISE JESUS FOR HIS LOVINGKINDNESS!!!

In Truth (John 14:6), the Christ of us Christians intensifies that God works man regarding saving faith/belief, not man working, but truly the Bread of Life (John 6:35) as exclusive Savior!

Free-willian Philosophers convey things like “They obviously understood jesus to be saying what God requires of you is that you believe” (the word of TomL, see post #1,818) about the people recorded in John 6:28-33 in order for the free-willian heart’s treasure (Matthew 15:16-19) to justify adulterating the Word of God resulting in “This is NOT the work of God BUT THIS IS THE WORK OF MAN, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (the traditions of man, see Matthew 15:9).

The Lord uses the continuing exchange to illumine the people's, and free-willian, ignorance. The Word of God is precise and pure “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” (John 6:29) - "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

This examination needs to expand to the larger passage of "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal" (John 6:27), but this would be incomplete without the intervening passage culminating with "Then they said to Him, 'Lord, always give us this bread.' Jesus said to them, 'I am the Bread of Life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst'" (John 6:34-35).

Do not be confused about the "who comes to Me" in John 6:35 because the Lord says "he who practices the Truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God" (John 3:21), so we Christians work for God because God wrings our work/deeds out of us!

In John 6:27 and John 6:34-35, Jesus says He is our Christian's food (John 6:27), our Christian Bread of Life (John 6:35). "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

The Christ of us Christians says "I am the Living Bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh" (John 6:51).

We Christians work (John 6:27) for the Bread of Life (John 6:35) according to the Power of God (John 3:21), so we proclaim the glorious King of the Kingdom of God in the Power of God to the world; therefore, this "proclaiming" is working for the food enduring to eternal life (John 6:27). Christ gives Himself, the Bread of Life, to us Christians for we Christians partake in the food of the Body and Blood of Christ, so our wonderful Leader sustains and strengthens us for the works prepared for us beforehand by God to the Glory of God! God has set His seal on us Christians, that is, our seal is our very believing in the Son whom the Father has sent by the Grace of God for the Glory of God!

Praise the Lord for He explains our Christian work (John 6:27) is to eat the Bread of Life (John 6:35, John 6:51). Christ says "work" "for the food" (John 6:27) which means "work for Christ" as in fruit of the Spirit of the Living God (see bearing fruit in John 3:21 and John 15:5 and John 15:16 and Galatians 5:22-23), so Christ says not that believing in Christ is the work of man, so this means free-willian philosopher's "He told them there was a certain type of work they were to do and it was the work of faith so stop trying to twist the passage and say it wasn't so" (the word of Rockson regarding John 6:27, see post #1,847) is false according to the Word of God!

Free-willian Philosophers are under the delusion that "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal" (tthe Word of God, John 6:27) in their hearts translates to "Do not work for the food which perishes, but YOU HAVE THE ABILITY IN YOUR OWN INITIATIVE TO WORK for the food which endures to eternal life, SO YOU MUST CHOOSE WHETHER TO ACCEPT THE FOOD THAT the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal" (the word of free-willians) in spite of the Word of God sayings “And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right” (Luke 12:57) and
you did not choose Me, but I chose you” (John 15:16) and “I chose you out of the world” (John 15:19).

Free-willian's hearts even subtract "which the Son of Man will give to you" (John 6:27) about the food for which Jesus says "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life" (John 6:27). Jesus clearly states the righteous work of man is Fruit of the Spirit because the food is given by God to man which is another declaration about the exclusive power of God in the salvation of man. A crucial concept established by Jesus in John 6:27 is that the only people to receive Jesus' food are the people to whom Jesus gives the food, but free-willian philosophy ends up with people in hell who are failures of "the food which endures to eternal life" (John 6:27). This paragraph's explanation is all in the recorded Word of God in John 6:27 without stepping to another verse. "Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

The Word in John 6:27 refers to the man's work which is truly the act of God in man; on the other hand, the Word in John 6:29 refers to man's belief which is truly the act of God in man.

In the first moment (John 6:27), Lord Jesus explains the outward evidence of us Christians controlled by our loving Father in Heaven, and in the second moment (John 6:29), Jesus explains the inward event of us Christians controlled by our loving Father in Heaven, and this Father declares "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him" (Matthew 17:5).

Your heart makes false statements about God and man. Free-willian Philosophy is a conjured concept of the traditions of men (Matthew 15:9).

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE THE AUTHOR AND PERFECTER OF THE ONE TRUE FAITH!!!

TomL traditions of menApostolic testimony
TomL 16:30-31 (TSB 2020) - 30 and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They said, “Believe according to the judgment by your own initiative in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”Acts 16:30-31 (NASB 2020) - 30 and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
It is ironic that anyone would use Acts 16:30-31 as evidence of free will. The mistake one makes is focusing on the answer. The key to this passage is not the answer but the question. Nobody asks the question "What must I do to be saved?" unless they are moved by the Spirit of God.

In Truth (John 14:6), the Almighty God is Sovereign (Genesis 1:1) in the affairs of man (Daniel 4:34-35)! PRAISE THE AUTHOR AND PERFECTER OF THE ONE TRUE FAITH!!!
Amen, and AMEN.

Be prepared.... he will not address much of your post, but will repeat the same old verses that have been addressed already, thinking he's doing God a service. He may very well be sincere, but sincerely wrong.

I would say that depends on whether you believe God is a credible source. See I happen to think God does not play with men

in keeping with his character and word
Amen

Some would have us think man is nothing but a puppet or a robot that has been programmed

And God is someone who plays with the destiny of men
Tom one question for you~

What is "THIS ROCK" spoken of by Jesus?​

https://www.reddit.com/r/OldPaths/?f=flair_name:"Theology" posted on my Reddit account.

A brother wrote and said:
"The Pope reigns in Rome on Peter's throne, right? Like Isaias, I am confused about this. The line of royal succession went from David to Jesus to Peter ? It is not likely that Peter was also of the bloodline of David, but maybe Jesus passed a different throne on to Peter, an earthly throne, more like David's, and then Peter passed it on ... but no, that's not the way it works. The Cardinals elect whoever sits on Peter's throne. I will admit, I am thoroughly confused."

Brother you NOT confused, your reasoning has you going toward truth, NOT away from the truth. ALL are living under chains of darkness that believe and teach that Peter is the rock upon which the church is built upon.

The church is built upon the DIVINE REVELATION that Jesus said was given TO PETER from heaven so that he KNEW Jesus Christ to be the Son of God and sent by Him

Let it be said in all boldness that all are badly deceived by their own hearts whoever believes that God's holy temple is built by ~human hands/free will, or man's works, such as faith, etc. How great are they deceived who believe this lie! Selah.
Matthew 16:13-19~"When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon ~this rock~ I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
The two but's are worthy of our attention and even more so the phrase~~"this rock"~....THIS referring back to what Jesus had said to Peter.....
for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven
The Godhead has from the beginning of time built God's holy temple without hands or any means thereof but by divine revelation from heaven~ And to THIS CHURCH the gates of hell cannot prevail against it. They alone have the two keys of TRUTH and to them has been given the power to lose and to blind.

You believe and teach that the church is built by man's free will/faith, not by what Jesus said here in Matthew 16.

I'm thinking about taking a few day off for vacation, I need the rest, but i still may post some.

Last edited:
Amen, and AMEN.

Be prepared.... he will not address much of your post, but will repeat the same old verses that have been addressed already, thinking he's doing God a service. He may very well be sincere, but sincerely wrong.
You are presenting false witness. This is same stuff he has posted repeatedly and has been addressed many times

over and over he repeats

John 15:16 (NASB 2020) — 16 You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.

and

which have been addressed many times

You posted nothing to prove your point, simply asserting your claim

In the meantime you ignored contextual exegesis

Jesus told them they must work

John 6:27 (ESV) — 27 Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.”

Verse 28 defines for us the works of God

as what are we to do'

3rd the Jews clearly understood it was they who were to believe

John 6:30 (KJV 1900) — 30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

fourth Christ affirmed there is something they must do never correcting them

John 6:32–40 (ESV) — 32 Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” 34 They said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.” 35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

You have isolated verse 29 from its context and assumed its meaning

you ignored the commentary of your Calvinist peers

. What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? That is, such things as God will approve. This was the earnest inquiry of men who were seeking to be saved. They had crossed the Sea of Tiberias to seek him; they supposed him to be the Messiah, and they sincerely desired to be taught the way of life; yet it is observable that they expected to find that way as other sinners commonly do—by their works. The idea of doing something to merit salvation is one of the last that the sinner ever surrenders.
Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Luke & John (ed. Robert Frew; London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 244.

Verse 29

Jesus sets them straight: The work of Godi.e. what God requires—is faith. This is not faith in the abstract, an existential trust without a coherent object. Rather, they must believe in the one [God] has sent[1] Pillar New Tetament commentary D.A. Carson

John_6:28-29. Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, —

The chief work, the greatest work which you can do. Spurgeon commentary

[1] D. A. Carson, The Gospel according to John (The Pillar New Testament Commentary; Leicester, England; Grand Rapids, MI: Inter-Varsity Press; W.B. Eerdmans, 1991), 285.

The work of Greek exegetes

Messianic work.

28. τί ποιῶμεν …; What must we do (v. 5) that we may work? Perhaps they understood Him to mean that they must earn what they desire; certainly they see that Christ’s words have a moral meaning; they must do the works required by God. But how?
29. τὸ ἔργον. They probably thought of works of the law, tithes, sacrifices, &c. He tells them of one work, one moral act, from which all the rest derive their value, continuous belief (πιστεύητε, not πιστεύσητε) in Him whom God has sent. Comp. Acts 16:31. On ἵνα and ἀπέστειλεν see on 1:8, 33, 4:47, 17:3.1
1 A. Plummer, The Gospel according to S. John (Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1896), 155.

rather than deal with

Acts 16:30–31 (KJV 1900) — 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Believe is the answer to what must i do

Not the nothing "God will cause you to believe if you are among the elect" of your theology

You simply asserted your view

you did the same here

Acts 2:37–38 (KJV 1900) — 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

they were to repent

What shall we do is answered by you must repent again not the nothing

"God will cause you to believe if you are among the elect" of your theology

and

Again Christs choice of his apostles

His disciples were given to him by the Father.

John 17:6–12 (NASB 2020) — 6 “I have revealed Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have followed Your word.

From them he chose 12 to be apostles

Luke 6:13–16 (ESV) — 13 And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles: 14 Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, 15 and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon who was called the Zealot, 16 and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.

John 6:70 (ESV) — 70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve? And yet one of you is a devil.”

John 13:18 (UASV) — 18 I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who eats My bread has lifted up his heel against Me.’

Think of how many times passages like John 15:16 (“You did not choose me; I chose you…”) are used as proof texts for the Calvinistic belief of individual election to salvation when clearly Jesus is speaking to His servants who are being prepared to take the invitation to the rest of the world. They are using Divine Choice #1 as proof for their belief about Divine Choice #3.

Divine Choice #1: The choice of His servants, who were given the task of sending out the invitation.

Divine Choice #2: The choice to send the invitation first to His own and then to all others.

Divine Choice #3: The choice to allow only those clothed in proper wedding garments to enter the feast.

In John 15:16 we have the choice of the apostles

Beyond that he assumes that because scripture states Matthias was with them from the beginning he must have been with them every instance of the 12 being together

this also was previously addressed and was pointed out this is merely an assumption

BTW how many were here

12 not 13 or more as kermos would imagine or apparently you as well

Last edited:
Tom one question for you~

What is "THIS ROCK" spoken of by Jesus?​

https://www.reddit.com/r/OldPaths/?f=flair_name:"Theology" posted on my Reddit account.

"The Pope reigns in Rome on Peter's throne, right?

No I am not RCC. You appear confused

Like Isaias, I am confused about this. The line of royal succession went from David to Jesus to Peter ? It is not likely that Peter was also of the bloodline of David, but maybe Jesus passed a different throne on to Peter, an earthly throne, more like David's, and then Peter passed it on ... but no, that's not the way it works. The Cardinals elect whoever sits on Peter's throne. I will admit, I am thoroughly confused."

Brother you NOT confused, your reasoning has you going toward truth, NOT away from the truth. ALL are living under chains of darkness that believe and teach that Peter is the rock upon which the church is built upon.

Why do you post this nonsense? It has nothing to do with me

Straighten out your confusion
The church is built upon the DIVINE REVELATION that Jesus said was given TO PETER from heaven so that he KNEW Jesus Christ to be the Son of God and sent by Him

Let it be said in all boldness that all are badly deceived by their own hearts whoever believes that God's holy temple is built by ~human hands/free will, or man's works, such as faith, etc. How great are they deceived who believe this lie! Selah.

The two but's are worthy of our attention and even more so the phrase~~"this rock"~....THIS referring back to what Jesus had said to Peter.....

The Godhead has from the beginning of time built God's holy temple without hands or any means thereof but by divine revelation from heaven~ And to THIS CHURCH the gates of hell cannot prevail against it. They alone have the two keys of TRUTH and to them has been given the power to lose and to blind.

You believe and teach that the church is built by man's free will/faith, not by what Jesus said here in Matthew 16.

I'm thinking about taking a few day off for vacation, I need the rest, but i still may post some.
It's not Peter but probably his confession or possibly Christ himself

In any case all who believe are in fact a part of the church

You just called "I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me but I chose you" (the Word of God, John 15:15-16 (links to KJV, NASB1995, and YLT)) your abominable “fallacy”. No Christian applies the term “fallacy” to the precious Word of God!
Who did Christ choose according to scripture

twelve

twelve

John 13:18 (UASV) — 18 I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who eats My bread has lifted up his heel against Me.’

a reference to Judas one of the 12

why do you fight scripture?

Christ did not choose Matthias he chose 12

The apostles chose Matthias

Here is Spiritually logical Truth (John 14:6), all Christ's friends are chosen by Christ and Christ's friends do not choose Chris (John 15:15-16).

You believe that apart from Christ you do choose Christ to be your friend; in contrast, Christ says “apart from Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5).
In context which you seldom employ it speaks of bearing fruit

John 15:1–5 (KJV 1900) — 1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

And that comes through the Holy Spirit Christ gives to those who believe

and does not refer to the ability to believe

many verses show men capable of believing

John 1:6–7 (KJV 1900) — 6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

how much exegesis do you need to see the apostle believes men might believe the truth based upon the baptists witness

John 4:39 (KJV 1900) — 39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.

How much exegesis do you need to see men believed based upon the woman's testimony

John 17:20 (KJV 1900) — 20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

men believe based on the apostles testimony

Romans 10:10–17 (KJV 1900) — 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

that if preached to they could believe

John 12:40 (KJV 1900) — 40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

God blinded men to prevent their belief. Why would god blind someone who had no ability to see?

Luke notes had men not grown hardened they could have believed

Acts 28:27 (KJV 1900) — 27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

unregenerate men are shown to receive the word with joy

Luke 8:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

let me know when you are willing to address these

You responded “Yes” to the question “Do you think you are a friend of Jesus, TomL?” (proof post #576) when John 15:14-19 was quoted in full at the time.

Let’s take a look at Lord Jesus Christ’s usage of “you” with which the above question and answer pertains:
I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me but I chose you
Sorry in the context Christ is speaking to a select group of men during a certain period of time and not all believers throughout all tiome who may be called friends of God

You express confused thoughts about the population of Christ’s “you” in the passage. I remind you for this exchange that I consider you to equivocate “apostles” whenever you write “disciples”.

Sorry the confusion is yours as i never put myself in that passage and the context is limitedi
Your response of “Yes” establishes your personal claim of being part of the “you” population inside of God’s blessing of “I have called you friends” (John 15:15), but then in the continuation of the very same blessing, your heart’s “it was Christ words [exclusively] to the disciples messengers he had chosen” eliminates you, TomL, from being a part of the “you” population inside of God’s blessing of “I chose you” (John 15:16); therefore, you are not a chosen friend of Jesus according to your own self-willed heart’s treasure which leavens your whole loaf of free-willian philosophy (Matthew 16:6).
sorry but you assume much

because Christ calls the apostles friend does not means they are the only friends

Your reasoning is severely defective and that is a fallacy of negative inference

In effect, your “Yes” and “it was Christ words [exclusively] to the disciples messengers he had chosen” expresses a confused (1 Corinthians 14:33) “Yes No” concept about the audience represented in Christ’s “you” recorded in John 15:14-19.

You failed to reasonably address this:

You preach "As for your verses First you simply repeat Christ choice of his disciples but nothing states Christ chose them for salvation" respecting John 15:16-19 (proof post #1,116).
Indeed nothing states they were unconditionally chosen for salvation

They were in fact God's and God gave them to Christ who then chose them for apostleship

but nowhere is it stated they unconditionally belonged to god - were unconditionally chosen for salvation

You beg the question here assuming your theology not proving it

The word of TomLThe Word of God
you choose Me for salvation, but I chose not you for salvation
I chose not you out of the world
Instead of your confused statements above why don't you actually try to prove unconditional election to salvation

with an actual verses which actually states that

John 15:16 does not

Nothing, absolutely nothing you wrote eliminates the Truth (John 14:6) that Lord Jesus Christ impacts every disciple in all time with His blessed sayings “you did not choose Me, but I chose you” (the Word of God, John 15:16) and “I chose you out of the world” (the Word of God, John 15:19, includes salvation).
again posting your theology

You do not have a single verse which actually states men are unconditionally chosen for salvation

all you have been doing is assuming your view and repeating your assumptions ad nauseum

let me know when you can actually post a verse which states what you believe

Back
Top Bottom