Acts 22:16 Paul's salvation

Yes, the 120 in the upper room already had the indwelling of the Spirit and were already saved. But Paul was not yet saved when Ananias came to him three days after Jesus appeared to him on the Road. Paul was not saved because he was still in sin. You cannot be saved and still in sin; those are complete opposites.
Paul seems a special case (like all of the Apostles). When was Simon/Peter "saved"? What about when Jesus said "blessed are you Simon bar Jonah, because flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father in heaven" (and then changed his name to Peter)?

Can you see the issue? Was PETER saved/unsaved when:
  • Confessed Jesus was the Son of God?
  • Walked on water?
  • Sent out to heal?
  • Denied Jesus 3 times?
  • Arrived at the empty tomb?
  • Affirmed his love 3 times on the beach?
  • Chose Matthias to replace Judas?

Paul seems a special case (like all of the Apostles). When was Simon/Peter "saved"?
The first point at which ANYBODY living was "Saved" (born again of the Holy Spirit) was John 20:22 when Jesus ministered the Holy Spirit to them the evening of the Resurrection.
What about when Jesus said "blessed are you Simon bar Jonah, because flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father in heaven" (and then changed his name to Peter)?
Nope Peter received inspiration from the holy SPirit to make the proclamation that he did, but neither he, nor anybody else was "Saved" in the present sense yet., Jesus hadn't died, so no new covenant yet.
Can you see the issue? Was PETER saved/unsaved when:
  • Confessed Jesus was the Son of God?
  • Walked on water?
  • Sent out to heal?
  • Denied Jesus 3 times?
  • Arrived at the empty tomb?
  • Affirmed his love 3 times on the beach?
  • Chose Matthias to replace Judas?
Peter didn't "Affirm his Love" in John 21 just the opposite. Jesus asks "Agape" and Peter answered "Phileo" which is essentially a "Not really" response. Jesus' instructions were the solution: feed my sheep.

He was "Born again" at that point, but unsaved at the previous 5 occasions.
The Matthias thing appears to have been presumptive.

The first point at which ANYBODY living was "Saved" (born again of the Holy Spirit) was John 20:22 when Jesus ministered the Holy Spirit to them the evening of the Resurrection.
The great cloud of witnesses from the OT might suggest different. ;)
Don't get me wrong, I don't have answers ... just questions and puzzle pieces that don't quite fit together.
Like the Prophesy in Daniel ... I need to wait for the Angel to come and explain it to me.
Or like the Apostles following Jesus, I need to wait for after the crowds leave when Jesus explains what the parable meant.

For someone that does well on tests, I'm not the sharpest tool in the Biblical Shed.

You said that "The substance of things hoped for is what we place our faith in, which is the evidence of things not seen." That is not what Scripture says that faith is. That is a twisting of Scripture to make it say what you want it to say. Scripture says that "faith IS the substance of things hoped for. Faith IS the evidence of things not seen. And this is consistent with what James says about faith as I detailed in post #89 above.
The Amplified Bible reads - Now faith is the assurance (title deed, confirmation) of things hoped for (divinely guaranteed), and the evidence of things not seen [the conviction of their reality—faith comprehends as fact what cannot be experienced by the physical senses]. Is our hope in faith itself or is our hope in something else? (Titus 1:2; 3:7) What is the object of what is hoped for and not seen? The substance or assurance and evidence or conviction of faith is not simply blind faith, or wishful thinking. Your erroneous interpretation of Hebrews 11:1 and James 2 culminates in faith "is" works and salvation by works which is consistent with what Roman Catholics and other works-salvationists teach but is not consistent with what the Bible teaches.
If you are only into Jesus for "what Jesus has to offer", then you are into Him for the wrong reasons. He wants people to love Him because of who He is, not just what He can do for them.
True, yet genuine believers love Him because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19) The love of God has been poured out in the hearts of genuine believers by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:5)
Faith is not just the ASSURANCE of things hoped for, or the CONVICTION of things not seen. As James makes very clear, works are the other side of the same coin as faith. Without one side of the coin, the other side of the coin doesn't really exist.
So now you are re-defining faith by "adding" works to the definition. As I explained to you before, works are the fruit, by product and demonstrative evidence of faith but not the very essence of faith and also not the basis or means by which we obtain salvation. It's actually repentance and faith that are two sides of the same coin (repent -- change of mind -- new direction of this change of mind -- faith in Jesus Christ for salvation) and not faith and works. Your faith remains in works and not in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. :(
Your focus is on the wrong thing here. Yes, we have a certainty about our hope because God has never failed to fulfill His promises, for good or ill. But that is not what faith is. Faith is the SUBSTANCE of that hope. Faith is us acting as if we have that certainty. If there is not action, then we do not have that certainty.
It's your focus that is on the wrong thing here. Faith is the substance of things HOPED FOR. You also "add" works to the definition. Your faith is in the actions and not in what is hoped for and unseen. Action is a demonstration of our faith but not the origin or essence of it.
There is no such thing as "works salvation". It is a figment of your mind. There is also no such thing as salvation without any action at all.
You just contradicted yourself AGAIN. "No works salvation/no salvation without any action/works at all." If you are trusting in Jesus Christ for salvation + works whether in part or for the most part, you are still trusting in works for salvation. Your faith is in your actions/works and is not exclusively in Jesus Christ for salvation. You still need to repent (change your mind) and place your faith in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation. (Romans 3:24-28; 4:5-6)
Rom 10:9-10 is very clear that the physical action of confessing Jesus as Lord "with the mouth" results in receiving salvation.
So, mute people who cannot speak will remain lost for failing to accomplish the physical action of confessing Jesus as Lord with the mouth? The word of faith is still in their mouth and in their heart TOGETHER. (Romans 10:8) You missed Paul's point by turning confession into a work for salvation. I have already thoroughly explained Romans 10:8-10 to you multiple times but the truth continues to go right over your head.
And without that demonstration of his faith, his faith would have been dead, useless, meaningless, and just as dead as he would be. No, his faith did not begin with building the Ark. His faith began with his trusting in God and doing what God commanded. That is why he found grace in God's sight, because he had been obeying and walking with God. What is walking with God if not doing what God says.
If Noah would have refused to build the ark, then he would have demonstrated a lack of faith, but of course, that was not the case. Noah already trusted in God and found grace in the eyes of the Lord (Genesis 6:8) and was a preacher of righteousness (2 Peter 2:5) and walked with God BEFORE he built the ark, and his obedience was a DEMONSTRATION of his faith and not the origin of it. You put the cart before the horse.
I have said many times that they must indeed be done chronologically at the same time. They are indeed chronologically together, but that does not mean that they are not two separate steps that must be done at the same time. Both belief and confession LEAD TO/RESULT IN salvation. It is not that belief comes before salvation, and then confession comes after salvation is received. Both come before salvation is received. So the "gotcha" is on you.
So, according to you, with the heart ones believes unto righteousness but remains lost? That is not consistent with Romans 4:5 -- "believes on Him/his faith is accounted for righteousness." If confession is a work for salvation after faith, then why is confession not mentioned in numerous passages of scripture which make it clear that we are saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications" (Luke 7:50; 8:12; John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 11:17; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5; 5:1; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; 3:6-9, 26; Ephesians 2:8; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; Hebrews 10:39; 1 John 5:13 etc..). Like I said before, belief and confession are not two separate steps to salvation but are chronologically together. (Romans 10:8-10)
There is no such thing as believing unto righteousness without confession and baptism.
So, what happened to baptism in Romans 10:9,10? Paul did not mention baptism here and the word of faith is in our mouth and in our heart TOGETHER. (Romans 10:8) The word of faith is not in the water.
You can believe all day long, but until you obey you don't really believe, your belief is in vain. Jesus is the author of salvation to those who obey Him (Heb 5:9), not just to those you give lip service to Him.
So, now you also "add" obedience/works to Romans 10:9,10. Your list of works for salvation just keeps growing. I often hear works-salvationists (including Roman Catholics and Mormons) cite Hebrews 5:9 in their efforts to support salvation by works. So, who obeys Him? The saved or the lost? Only believers have obeyed Him by choosing to believe the gospel (Romans 1:16) in order to become saved, and only believers obey Him after they have been saved through faith by practicing righteousness and not sin. (1 John 3:9,10) In either sense, only believers obey Him.

Unbelievers have not obeyed Him by refusing to believe the gospel (Romans 10:16) and without faith it's impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6), so unbelievers do not obey Him no matter how much "lip service" confession or "so called" obedience that they attempt to conjure up through their unregenerate hearts in a vain effort to receive salvation based on works. So, in either sense, unbelievers do not obey Him.
And as for those who are mute, why is it that we must confess with the mouth? Because that is how communication for the vast majority of people is accomplished. That is why Scripture says that the tongue is a fire. But if your main communication method is not your mouth, but your hands, then it is your hands that constitute that fire, and your hands by which you must give confession.
Paul said nothing about hands in Romans 10:9,10 but only mouth. Romans 10:8 clears up any confusion.
Yes, there is influence by the Holy Spirit that allows a person to confess Jesus as Lord, but that influence does not indicate salvation at that point. The Holy Spirit can and does move people's hearts long before He removes sin from their life.
So, now you are saying that confession is not made unto salvation? :oops: You are all over the place.
No, the demons do not acknowledge Jesus as Lord. They acknowledge that God is One (James 2:19), but they do not acknowledge Him as Lord, or they would obey Him.
The demons do acknowledge that Jesus is the Lord, that Jesus is God. They are not stupid. They fully know exactly who His is. The demons do not obey Him because they have rebelled against Him, so they have not received Him as their Lord and Savior.
It is not just a "deep personal conviction", but a conviction so deep that it results in active obedience. No, simply believing in your head and saying some words does not result in salvation. But without believing and confessing you cannot receive salvation.
You are so fixated on obedience/works because that is what you are trusting in for salvation and not in Jesus Christ alone. Sigh.. The word of faith is in our mouth and in our heart TOGETHER. (Romans 10:8)
That is a false statement. Going back to the wheelbarrow across the Grand Canyon again, does sitting in the wheelbarrow move you across the Canyon? No. Only God can move you across the Canyon. There is no merit, no value, no moving the wheelbarrow in sitting in the wheelbarrow. But if you are not in the wheelbarrow when it gets moved across the Canyon, you don't get moved with it, you remain lost.
All of your statements that culminate in salvation by works are false. Saved by unmerited works remains your flawed argument. People remain lost because they have not placed their faith in JESUS CHRIST ALONE FOR SALVATION. If our faith is genuine, then it will produce works as the fruit but not the root of salvation.
It has everything to do with salvation. It is out duty to do what our Master commands. As Luke says in verse 9, the Master does not owe the servant thanks because he did what was commanded, He does not have to do anything. But He has promised to do certain things if we obey Him, and He is a Master of His word, so He does what He says.
False. None of us have flawlessly obeyed everything that Jesus has commanded, and we are not saved by works. Period. Your erroneous interpretation stems from works-righteousness.
There is no dilemma there. All Scripture is equally correct and true. So if belief leads to salvation (Rom 10:9-10 and many others), and confession leads to salvation (Rom 10:9-10), and baptism is the point at which salvation is received (Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Rom 6:1-7, Col 2:11-14, John 3:5 and many others), then all of those have to be correct and true at the same time. If any one of them is not true, then Scripture contains a contradiction, but I believe that you agree with me that there are no contradictions in Scripture.
There certainly is a dilemma. Belief and confession PRECEDE baptism in your 4-step plan of salvation -- 1. Belief 2. Repent 3. Confess 4. Be baptized so believes unto righteousness/confession made unto salvation PRECEDES water baptism. Period. You can't have it both ways. Your false 4-step plan of salvation results in a contradiction.
I, and everyone else who I know that accepts baptism as being required for salvation, trust in Jesus Christ alone for salvation.
No, you don't. You trust in baptism for salvation and not in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. If you did trust in Jesus Christ alone for salvation then you would be trusting in His death, burial and resurrection as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation (Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and not in Jesus Christ + baptism.
He alone has the power, authority, and perfection to exchange for my weakness and sin. He has given certain conditions upon which that exchange occurs. I do not trust in those conditions to save me.
You trust in wrong conditions/works to save you and not in Jesus Christ alone to save you. The exchange occurs through faith and not faith + works. (Romans 5:1; Ephesians 2:8.9)
I trust in Him to be a God who keeps His word, and do what He said He would if I did what He commanded. Yes, "believing unto salvation" requires trust, and that trust is embodied in obedience to His commands that He said result in receiving His salvation.
You trust in obedience/works for salvation and not in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. Your eisegesis revolving around Jesus' commands culminates in flawed obedience.
The cause of being in Christ is indeed faith. Faith is not the fruit of being saved. And faith requires action/works to be real and effective. It is not trust if there is no action of surrender and submission to the one you would call Master. And that submission must take the form that He commanded it to take, repentance, confession, and baptism.
If faith never results in action/works then it demonstrates that it's not real, yet faith is still real the very moment that we place our faith (belief, trust, reliance) in Jesus Christ alone for salvation prior to producing good works. (Ephesians 2:5-10) You put the cart before the horse. Repentance precedes faith and repentance, and faith are two sides to the same coin. Confession is an expression of faith and not a work for salvation. (Romans 10:8)
Nothing about baptism needs to be said here. If they were baptized, then they just got wet and they never had their sins washed away, because they didn't really believe in Him. If they weren't baptized, then they never encountered the blood of Christ and had their sins washed away.
Unbelievers do not have their sins washed away regardless of whether or not they were baptized. Your argument leads up to Roman Catholic superstition. "Through His blood" (as in Colossians 1:14) is a reference not limited to the fluid as if the blood has saving properties in its chemistry and we contact it in the waters of baptism but is an expression pointing to the totality of Christ's atoning work as a sacrifice for sin. The word "cross" is used similarly to refer to the whole atoning work of Christ on the cross (1 Corinthians 1:18; Galatians 6:12,14; Ephesians 2:16). We do not literally contact the blood of Christ in the water and Roman Catholics do not literally contact the blood of Christ in the wine either.
That is true but does not change the fact that there are many, many more who have given lip service confession of belief and not surrendered in baptism and Jesus also never knew them. Both are required. Both are commands of God that result in receiving salvation.
You remain obsessed with baptism because that is what you have placed your faith in for salvation instead of placing your faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. What is signified in water baptism is not procured in water baptism. Let that sink in and also let me know when you are ready to repent (change your mind) and place your faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation by trusting in His death, burial and resurrection as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation. Works salvation is NO SALVATION AT ALL. (Romans 4:5-6; 11:6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5 2 Timothy 1:9 etc..).

The Amplified Bible reads - Now faith is the assurance (title deed, confirmation) of things hoped for (divinely guaranteed), and the evidence of things not seen [the conviction of their reality—faith comprehends as fact what cannot be experienced by the physical senses]. Is our hope in faith itself or is our hope in something else? (Titus 1:2; 3:7) What is the object of what is hoped for and not seen? The substance or assurance and evidence or conviction of faith is not simply blind faith, or wishful thinking. Your erroneous interpretation of Hebrews 11:1 and James 2 culminates in faith "is" works and salvation by works which is consistent with what Roman Catholics and other works-salvationists teach but is not consistent with what the Bible teaches.
Our hope is not in faith itself. Our hope is in the One in whom we have faith, the One whom we trust.
Going back to the analogy of the man going across the Grand Canyon: our hope is to get across the Canyon. Our faith is in the man pushing the wheelbarrow. The evidence is that we get into the wheelbarrow. If there is no evidence, then there is no faith, only lip service.
True, yet genuine believers love Him because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19) The love of God has been poured out in the hearts of genuine believers by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:5)
He loved everyone first, not just the saved. The love of God was poured out for us in Jesus' blood on the Cross. And through the power of the Blood, the Holy Spirit has been poured out into our hearts. We love much because we realize that we have been forgiven much.
So now you are re-defining faith by "adding" works to the definition.
No, I am not "adding" anything. Faith is the evidence of what is not seen. Our actions are the evidence of our internal acceptance of the truth of the Gospel. Without action there is no evidence.
As I explained to you before, works are the fruit, by product and demonstrative evidence of faith but not the very essence of faith and also not the basis or means by which we obtain salvation.
No, works are not the fruit of faith. They are the soul of faith (James 2:26). They are not a by product of faith, they are an integral part of complete faith. Without works faith is incomplete and dead, stillborn.
It's actually repentance and faith that are two sides of the same coin (repent -- change of mind -- new direction of this change of mind -- faith in Jesus Christ for salvation) and not faith and works.
Repentance is a completely separate concept from faith. James does not say that repentance completes faith (James 2:22), he says that works do.
Your faith remains in works and not in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. :(
Not at all. My faith is in Jesus. Because my faith is in Jesus, I trust that He will do what He said. And He said that those who believe in Him and are baptized into Him will be saved. He said that the only way to enter His Kingdom is to be reborn of water and the Spirit. He inspired His Apostles to tell us that we are saved from sin thorough baptism. That in baptism we die to sin, have our sin cut from us, and are united to God through Christ by the working of the Holy Spirit. I trust that He will do what He said, and He said He will save us if we obey Him. If we don't obey Him, then we can be sure that He won't save us.
It's your focus that is on the wrong thing here. Faith is the substance of things HOPED FOR. You also "add" works to the definition. Your faith is in the actions and not in what is hoped for and unseen. Action is a demonstration of our faith but not the origin or essence of it.
Again, you are wrong. Faith is the SUBSTANCE, the physical manifestation, the evidence. The substance/evidence of what? The substance of what we hope for. What do we hope for? Salvation in Christ. So our faith is the substance of our salvation in Christ.
You just contradicted yourself AGAIN. "No works salvation/no salvation without any action/works at all." If you are trusting in Jesus Christ for salvation + works whether in part or for the most part, you are still trusting in works for salvation. Your faith is in your actions/works and is not exclusively in Jesus Christ for salvation. You still need to repent (change your mind) and place your faith in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation. (Romans 3:24-28; 4:5-6)
Absolutely you must repent. You must turn, both spiritually and physically, from sin and the sinful lifestyle, and follow after Jesus. But again, my faith is not in repentance. Just turning away from sin does not cleanse us from the stain of the sin already committed. Just because you cease walking in mud does not remove the mud already on you. You must be washed to remove the mud already on you. And only Jesus' blood can remove that stain. My faith is in Jesus' blood, not in repentance, and not in baptism. But both repentance and baptism are commanded by Jesus as being required to receive His forgiveness.
So, mute people who cannot speak will remain lost for failing to accomplish the physical action of confessing Jesus as Lord with the mouth? The word of faith is still in their mouth and in their heart TOGETHER. (Romans 10:8) You missed Paul's point by turning confession into a work for salvation. I have already thoroughly explained Romans 10:8-10 to you multiple times but the truth continues to go right over your head.
You have explained your reasoning of it based on your preconception. But your argument about the mute is a false trail. The mute use their hands as their method of communication, so their "mouth" is in their hands. And what is the word of faith that is in their mouth and hand? It is the Gospel that Paul (and the other ministers of the Faith) is/are preaching. So now that they have heard the Gospel, "the ball is in their court" so to speak. It is now time for them to believe the Gospel, confess Jesus as Lord, (and be baptized into Him) to receive salvation.
If Noah would have refused to build the ark, then he would have demonstrated a lack of faith, but of course, that was not the case. Noah already trusted in God and found grace in the eyes of the Lord (Genesis 6:8) and was a preacher of righteousness (2 Peter 2:5) and walked with God BEFORE he built the ark, and his obedience was a DEMONSTRATION of his faith and not the origin of it. You put the cart before the horse.
Yes, it was a demonstration of his continued trust in God. It was a continuation of the faith he had his whole life. He did not find grace in God's eyes because he built the Ark. But that does not change the fact that his faith was completed, made perfect, continued through his building of the Ark. If he had said, "God, I have trusted you, and listened to you all these years. But you go too far with this "rain" and "flood" business. I don't believe you, and I'm not building your stupid Ark.", then he would not have been saved from the Flood, and he would not have gone to eternity in Heaven.
So, according to you, with the heart ones believes unto righteousness but remains lost? That is not consistent with Romans 4:5 -- "believes on Him/his faith is accounted for righteousness."
Yes, it is consistent. If one only believes with the heart, but does not exhibit faith (take action on the belief in the heart) then he remains lost. If you believe in your heart, but don't confess Jesus then He will not confess you before the Father (you will be lost). If you do not have your sins cut from you in baptism, then you are still stained with sin, not clothed in white wedding cloths, and will be cast out into outer darkness.
If confession is a work for salvation after faith,
Not "after faith", but a part of faith.
then why is confession not mentioned in numerous passages of scripture which make it clear that we are saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications" (Luke 7:50; 8:12; John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 11:17; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5; 5:1; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; 3:6-9, 26; Ephesians 2:8; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; Hebrews 10:39; 1 John 5:13 etc..). Like I said before, belief and confession are not two separate steps to salvation but are chronologically together. (Romans 10:8-10)
Yes, they are together, because if you truly believe in your heart, then you will confess with your mouth, and you will be baptized into Christ just as Jesus commands. If you don't really believe, then you won't obey, and so you remain lost.
So, what happened to baptism in Romans 10:9,10? Paul did not mention baptism here and the word of faith is in our mouth and in our heart TOGETHER. (Romans 10:8) The word of faith is not in the water.
No, he didn't mention baptism here. But he did back in Rom 6. And again in his letter to Corinth. And again in his letter to Galatia. And again in his letter to Ephesus. It is not necessary to repeat every step in every place that salvation is discussed.
So, now you also "add" obedience/works to Romans 10:9,10. Your list of works for salvation just keeps growing. I often hear works-salvationists (including Roman Catholics and Mormons) cite Hebrews 5:9 in their efforts to support salvation by works. So, who obeys Him? The saved or the lost? Only believers have obeyed Him by choosing to believe the gospel (Romans 1:16) in order to become saved, and only believers obey Him after they have been saved through faith by practicing righteousness and not sin. (1 John 3:9,10) In either sense, only believers obey Him.
You have it backward. Only those who obey Him are believers. Jesus is the source of salvation, but what determines who receives His salvation? Our obedience determines who receives His salvation. Because He is the source of salvation "TO THOSE WHO OBEY HIM."
Unbelievers have not obeyed Him by refusing to believe the gospel (Romans 10:16) and without faith it's impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6), so unbelievers do not obey Him no matter how much "lip service" confession or "so called" obedience that they attempt to conjure up through their unregenerate hearts in a vain effort to receive salvation based on works. So, in either sense, unbelievers do not obey Him.
Correct, people who do not believe, no matter what actions they take, do not receive salvation. But that does not mean that the actions are irrelevant. The actions taken without belief are meaningless, and belief without the actions is also meaningless. Both are required, because it is the actions that complete the belief/faith.
Paul said nothing about hands in Romans 10:9,10 but only mouth. Romans 10:8 clears up any confusion.
What is the "mouth"? It is the method of communication we use to most effectively and quickly communicate with another person. So when a deaf/mute is teaching a deaf/mute what is their "mouth"? Their "mouth" is their hands, with which they sign the words of communication to each other.
So, now you are saying that confession is not made unto salvation? :oops: You are all over the place.
I did not say that "confession is not made unto salvation". Confession is made "unto" salvation, but that does not mean that salvation is received instantly upon confession alone. Belief and confession should precede baptism by mere moments, as is evidenced by the stories of salvation all though Acts. There is much haste placed upon baptizing a person as soon as they indicate belief in the Gospel, and their confession of Jesus as Lord is made at the time of their baptism (calling on the name of the Lord).
The demons do acknowledge that Jesus is the Lord, that Jesus is God. They are not stupid. They fully know exactly who His is. The demons do not obey Him because they have rebelled against Him, so they have not received Him as their Lord and Savior.
To acknowledge someone as lord means that you obey and serve that person. I do not acknowledge the king of England as my lord. He is lord of his country, but he is not my lord. If the demons acknowledged Jesus as Lord, then they would cease their rebellion and serve Him. But they do not (or maybe cannot, I'm not sure). But if they could or did acknowledge Him as Lord, then they would serve and obey Him as Lord, and would no longer be demons, but be holy servants of God.
False. None of us have flawlessly obeyed everything that Jesus has commanded, and we are not saved by works. Period. Your erroneous interpretation stems from works-righteousness.
Flawless obedience is not a commandment anywhere in Scripture. Only Jesus could or did flawlessly obey all of God's commandments. We only have to trust that God will do what He promises, and do everything He says to do that results in receiving His promises.
There certainly is a dilemma. Belief and confession PRECEDE baptism in your 4-step plan of salvation -- 1. Belief 2. Repent 3. Confess 4. Be baptized so believes unto righteousness/confession made unto salvation PRECEDES water baptism. Period. You can't have it both ways. Your false 4-step plan of salvation results in a contradiction.
No, it does not. Unto indicates toward, not achievement of. We repent toward salvation. We confess toward salvation. But when we are baptized we receive salvation. If you confess Jesus as Lord, then you will obey what He says, and He said that those who believe AND ARE BAPTIZED will be saved. So if you make Him your Lord, then you will obey Him in baptism.
No, you don't. You trust in baptism for salvation and not in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. If you did trust in Jesus Christ alone for salvation then you would be trusting in His death, burial and resurrection as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation (Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and not in Jesus Christ + baptism.
If you trust in Him, then you trust in what He said.
If faith never results in action/works then it demonstrates that it's not real, yet faith is still real the very moment that we place our faith (belief, trust, reliance) in Jesus Christ alone for salvation prior to producing good works. (Ephesians 2:5-10) You put the cart before the horse.
Wrong. If faith never results in action/works, then it is dead, meaningless, worthless, incapable of bringing salvation. It is a leaky pipe that cannot bring salvation from God to man. Faith is not real until it produces action/works.
Repentance precedes faith and repentance,
Repentance precedes repentance???
and faith are two sides to the same coin. Confession is an expression of faith and not a work for salvation. (Romans 10:8)
Confession is an expression of faith that results in receiving salvation. That means that it is a work that MUST precede salvation, and is required to receive salvation.
Unbelievers do not have their sins washed away regardless of whether or not they were baptized. Your argument leads up to Roman Catholic superstition. "Through His blood" (as in Colossians 1:14) is a reference not limited to the fluid as if the blood has saving properties in its chemistry and we contact it in the waters of baptism but is an expression pointing to the totality of Christ's atoning work as a sacrifice for sin. The word "cross" is used similarly to refer to the whole atoning work of Christ on the cross (1 Corinthians 1:18; Galatians 6:12,14; Ephesians 2:16). We do not literally contact the blood of Christ in the water and Roman Catholics do not literally contact the blood of Christ in the wine either.
I agree 100%. The blood of Jesus is not in the water, and the wine does not change to become the actual blood of Jesus. These are figurative depictions, shadows of the reality. But, just as you can eat and drink damnation to yourself if you partake of the bread and wine in an unworthy manner, so too if you do not pass through the water you do not encounter the blood of Christ and have your sins removed by the Holy Spirit.
You remain obsessed with baptism because that is what you have placed your faith in for salvation instead of placing your faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. What is signified in water baptism is not procured in water baptism. Let that sink in and also let me know when you are ready to repent (change your mind) and place your faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation by trusting in His death, burial and resurrection as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation. Works salvation is NO SALVATION AT ALL. (Romans 4:5-6; 11:6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5 2 Timothy 1:9 etc..).
Read Rom 6:1-7. What does it say? It says that we die to sin in baptism.
"What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 Far from it! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7 for the one who has died is freed from sin."
We who have died to sin went through baptism into death so that we could be raised to new life.

Again, read Col 2:11-13. What does it say? It says that we are buried with Christ in baptism and that is where the circumcision without hands occurs.
"and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision performed without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ, 12 having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And when you were dead in your wrongdoings and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our wrongdoings"

Yes, I believe that a public, verbal confession of Christ must be given for a person to be saved. I believe that is what this verse says. The practice I seen in many congregations of allowing people to remain in their seat, raise their hand and silently say a prayer does not result in Biblical salvation.
so the mute cannot be saved?

Faith is not "dead until made alive". Faith does not even exist, it is not real until it is made alive and real through action.

That is false

According to your claim, Abraham must have been justified declared righteous without faith

Genesis 15:3–6 (KJV 1900) — 3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir. 4 And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. 5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. 6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

The KJV does not do justice to the second half of the verse. The word from Greek is:
ἀπειθῶν (apeithōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 544: To disobey, rebel, be disloyal, refuse conformity.
The contrast here is between one who has an active, obedient faith and one who is rebellious, disobedient, or inactive. This demonstrates that "believe" is not a passive mental exercise. It is actually faith, an active, obedient exercise.

Not the way it is used in English, nor the way many people seem to understand it. If you agree that "believe" is active, then why are you arguing against the Biblical mandate that repentance, confession, and baptism are required to receive salvation? It is clear in the Scriptures.

Actions of faith are not the fruit of faith. They are the soul of faith. Without action, faith does not exist, it is not real.
3. since, in the view of the early Christians, the supreme disobedience was a refusal to believe their gospel, ἀ. may be restricted in some passages to the mng. disbelieve, be an unbeliever. This sense, though greatly disputed (it is not found outside our lit.), seems most probable in J 3:36;

William Arndt et al., A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature : A Translation and Adaption of the Fourth Revised and Augmented Edition of Walter Bauer’s Griechisch-Deutsches Worterbuch Zu Den Schrift En Des Neuen Testaments Und Der Ubrigen Urchristlichen Literatur (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1979), 82.

oops

That is false

According to your claim, Abraham must have been justified declared righteous without faith

Genesis 15:3–6 (KJV 1900) — 3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir. 4 And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. 5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. 6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
No, that is not what I said at all. Abraham (Abram at the time) believed (trusted and acted in accordance with that trust) God. He did not make Ismael his heir, even though he was his only son at the time. He waited to name an heir until his son through Sarah was born. His faith was not just a mental belief, but an active obedience of God's word, and that is what was counted as righteousness.
3. since, in the view of the early Christians, the supreme disobedience was a refusal to believe their gospel, ἀ. may be restricted in some passages to the mng. disbelieve, be an unbeliever. This sense, though greatly disputed (it is not found outside our lit.), seems most probable in J 3:36;

William Arndt et al., A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature : A Translation and Adaption of the Fourth Revised and Augmented Edition of Walter Bauer’s Griechisch-Deutsches Worterbuch Zu Den Schrift En Des Neuen Testaments Und Der Ubrigen Urchristlichen Literatur (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1979), 82.

oops
Oops what? You seem to trust more in lexicons than you do in God's Word. I don't trust lexicons to be the final authority. I trust in God's Word, and what is written in Scripture contradicts Mr. Arndt et al.

No, that is not what I said at all. Abraham (Abram at the time) believed (trusted and acted in accordance with that trust) God. He did not make Ismael his heir, even though he was his only son at the time. He waited to name an heir until his son through Sarah was born. His faith was not just a mental belief, but an active obedience of God's word, and that is what was counted as righteousness.
Um he was justified when he believed

Oops what? You seem to trust more in lexicons than you do in God's Word. I don't trust lexicons to be the final authority. I trust in God's Word, and what is written in Scripture contradicts Mr. Arndt et al.
Oops you assumed a single certain meaning for a Greek word which was not supported lexically

John 3:36 (KJV 1900) — 36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

while the translation of the KJV is supported by context

as one must believe on the son to have everlasting life it is obvious one who does not believe shall not see life

Our hope is not in faith itself. Our hope is in the One in whom we have faith, the One whom we trust.
Going back to the analogy of the man going across the Grand Canyon: our hope is to get across the Canyon. Our faith is in the man pushing the wheelbarrow. The evidence is that we get into the wheelbarrow. If there is no evidence, then there is no faith, only lip service.

He loved everyone first, not just the saved. The love of God was poured out for us in Jesus' blood on the Cross. And through the power of the Blood, the Holy Spirit has been poured out into our hearts. We love much because we realize that we have been forgiven much.

No, I am not "adding" anything. Faith is the evidence of what is not seen. Our actions are the evidence of our internal acceptance of the truth of the Gospel. Without action there is no evidence.

No, works are not the fruit of faith. They are the soul of faith (James 2:26). They are not a by product of faith, they are an integral part of complete faith. Without works faith is incomplete and dead, stillborn.

Repentance is a completely separate concept from faith. James does not say that repentance completes faith (James 2:22), he says that works do.

Not at all. My faith is in Jesus. Because my faith is in Jesus, I trust that He will do what He said. And He said that those who believe in Him and are baptized into Him will be saved. He said that the only way to enter His Kingdom is to be reborn of water and the Spirit. He inspired His Apostles to tell us that we are saved from sin thorough baptism. That in baptism we die to sin, have our sin cut from us, and are united to God through Christ by the working of the Holy Spirit. I trust that He will do what He said, and He said He will save us if we obey Him. If we don't obey Him, then we can be sure that He won't save us.

Again, you are wrong. Faith is the SUBSTANCE, the physical manifestation, the evidence. The substance/evidence of what? The substance of what we hope for. What do we hope for? Salvation in Christ. So our faith is the substance of our salvation in Christ.

Absolutely you must repent. You must turn, both spiritually and physically, from sin and the sinful lifestyle, and follow after Jesus. But again, my faith is not in repentance. Just turning away from sin does not cleanse us from the stain of the sin already committed. Just because you cease walking in mud does not remove the mud already on you. You must be washed to remove the mud already on you. And only Jesus' blood can remove that stain. My faith is in Jesus' blood, not in repentance, and not in baptism. But both repentance and baptism are commanded by Jesus as being required to receive His forgiveness.

You have explained your reasoning of it based on your preconception. But your argument about the mute is a false trail. The mute use their hands as their method of communication, so their "mouth" is in their hands. And what is the word of faith that is in their mouth and hand? It is the Gospel that Paul (and the other ministers of the Faith) is/are preaching. So now that they have heard the Gospel, "the ball is in their court" so to speak. It is now time for them to believe the Gospel, confess Jesus as Lord, (and be baptized into Him) to receive salvation.

Yes, it was a demonstration of his continued trust in God. It was a continuation of the faith he had his whole life. He did not find grace in God's eyes because he built the Ark. But that does not change the fact that his faith was completed, made perfect, continued through his building of the Ark. If he had said, "God, I have trusted you, and listened to you all these years. But you go too far with this "rain" and "flood" business. I don't believe you, and I'm not building your stupid Ark.", then he would not have been saved from the Flood, and he would not have gone to eternity in Heaven.

Yes, it is consistent. If one only believes with the heart, but does not exhibit faith (take action on the belief in the heart) then he remains lost. If you believe in your heart, but don't confess Jesus then He will not confess you before the Father (you will be lost). If you do not have your sins cut from you in baptism, then you are still stained with sin, not clothed in white wedding cloths, and will be cast out into outer darkness.

Not "after faith", but a part of faith.

Yes, they are together, because if you truly believe in your heart, then you will confess with your mouth, and you will be baptized into Christ just as Jesus commands. If you don't really believe, then you won't obey, and so you remain lost.

No, he didn't mention baptism here. But he did back in Rom 6. And again in his letter to Corinth. And again in his letter to Galatia. And again in his letter to Ephesus. It is not necessary to repeat every step in every place that salvation is discussed.

You have it backward. Only those who obey Him are believers. Jesus is the source of salvation, but what determines who receives His salvation? Our obedience determines who receives His salvation. Because He is the source of salvation "TO THOSE WHO OBEY HIM."

Correct, people who do not believe, no matter what actions they take, do not receive salvation. But that does not mean that the actions are irrelevant. The actions taken without belief are meaningless, and belief without the actions is also meaningless. Both are required, because it is the actions that complete the belief/faith.

What is the "mouth"? It is the method of communication we use to most effectively and quickly communicate with another person. So when a deaf/mute is teaching a deaf/mute what is their "mouth"? Their "mouth" is their hands, with which they sign the words of communication to each other.

I did not say that "confession is not made unto salvation". Confession is made "unto" salvation, but that does not mean that salvation is received instantly upon confession alone. Belief and confession should precede baptism by mere moments, as is evidenced by the stories of salvation all though Acts. There is much haste placed upon baptizing a person as soon as they indicate belief in the Gospel, and their confession of Jesus as Lord is made at the time of their baptism (calling on the name of the Lord).

To acknowledge someone as lord means that you obey and serve that person. I do not acknowledge the king of England as my lord. He is lord of his country, but he is not my lord. If the demons acknowledged Jesus as Lord, then they would cease their rebellion and serve Him. But they do not (or maybe cannot, I'm not sure). But if they could or did acknowledge Him as Lord, then they would serve and obey Him as Lord, and would no longer be demons, but be holy servants of God.

Flawless obedience is not a commandment anywhere in Scripture. Only Jesus could or did flawlessly obey all of God's commandments. We only have to trust that God will do what He promises, and do everything He says to do that results in receiving His promises.

No, it does not. Unto indicates toward, not achievement of. We repent toward salvation. We confess toward salvation. But when we are baptized we receive salvation. If you confess Jesus as Lord, then you will obey what He says, and He said that those who believe AND ARE BAPTIZED will be saved. So if you make Him your Lord, then you will obey Him in baptism.

If you trust in Him, then you trust in what He said.

Wrong. If faith never results in action/works, then it is dead, meaningless, worthless, incapable of bringing salvation. It is a leaky pipe that cannot bring salvation from God to man. Faith is not real until it produces action/works.

Repentance precedes repentance???

Confession is an expression of faith that results in receiving salvation. That means that it is a work that MUST precede salvation, and is required to receive salvation.

I agree 100%. The blood of Jesus is not in the water, and the wine does not change to become the actual blood of Jesus. These are figurative depictions, shadows of the reality. But, just as you can eat and drink damnation to yourself if you partake of the bread and wine in an unworthy manner, so too if you do not pass through the water you do not encounter the blood of Christ and have your sins removed by the Holy Spirit.

Read Rom 6:1-7. What does it say? It says that we die to sin in baptism.
"What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 Far from it! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7 for the one who has died is freed from sin."
We who have died to sin went through baptism into death so that we could be raised to new life.

Again, read Col 2:11-13. What does it say? It says that we are buried with Christ in baptism and that is where the circumcision without hands occurs.
"and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision performed without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ, 12 having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And when you were dead in your wrongdoings and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our wrongdoings"
If the truth is what you are looking for then you will find it in the multiple posts that I already shared with you. If accommodating your works based false gospel (which is the result of bad semantics and flawed hermeneutics) and culminates in salvation by water baptism is the only thing you are interested in, then you will not accept the truth no matter how many times that I explain it to you and I'm tired of wasting my time beating a dead horse. Once again, let me know when you are ready to repent (change your mind) and place your faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation (Acts 11:17,18; 15:7-9; 20:21; Ephesians 2:8,9) by trusting in His death, burial and resurrection as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation. (Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4)

Um he was justified when he believed

What does "believed" mean? Even in Hebrew, the word does not just mean "intellectual assent". It means the same as the Greek "pistis",
to stand firm, to trust, to be certain, to believe in
  1. stand firm
  2. trust, believe
He trusted and stood firm in God's promise. He did not just "think", but he acted as if it were already done.
Oops you assumed a single certain meaning for a Greek word which was not supported lexically
I assumed nothing. The meaning I have presented to you is clear, both there in that passage as well as from many other passages.
John 3:36 (KJV 1900) — 36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

while the translation of the KJV is supported by context

as one must believe on the son to have everlasting life it is obvious one who does not believe shall not see life
Clearly we must "believe" to have everlasting life. And clearly the opposite of "believe" is to "not believe". But the clarity shown by the NASB, ESV, AMP, and several other translations is that the opposite of "believe" is to "disobey". Thus, "believe" doesn't just mean to give passive intellectual assent, it means active obedience. He who actively obeys the Son has everlasting life. But he who disobeys Him will not see life. Faith requires so much more than the passive lip service that most ministers teach today.

so the mute cannot be saved?

That is false
According to his erroneous interpretation of Romans 10:9,10 (which undermines Romans 10:8) the mute cannot be saved.

According to his erroneous interpretation of James 2:20-26, when Abraham believed in the Lord in Genesis 15:6 and God counted it to him for righteousness, he still remained a lost man until many years later, after he offered up Isaac in Genesis 22 when his faith was made complete by works. Doug remains under the delusion that works are the source of life in faith and "justified by works" in James 2 means "saved by works," yet James is not using the word "justified" here to mean "accounted as righteous" but is shown to be righteous. James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3) Works bear out the justification that already came by faith.

oops
I often hear works-salvationists cite John 3:36 in the NASB and "stress" the word "obey" to imply that we are saved "by" obedience/works which "follow" believing in the Son for salvation. In regard to "does not obey the Son" in the New American Standard translation of the Bible, this does not mean that receiving eternal life is received based on the merits of our obedience/works which "follow" believing in the Son but obey by choosing to believe in the Son. If John wanted to make obedience the central theme in salvation here, he would have said: "He who believes and obeys the Son has eternal life," but that is not what John said. To obey the Son here is to choose to believe in the Son.

The King James Version renders this same verse as: He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that "believeth not the Son" shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. The NIV says "rejects the Son" and the HCSB says, "refuses to believe in the Son." To refuse to believe in the Son is to disobey, rebel, be disloyal and refuse conformity. Strong’s definition of apeitheo is "to disbelieve willfully and perversely." *In the context of 3:36, to "not obey the Son" means to reject the Son by refusing to believe in the Son.

If the truth is what you are looking for then you will find it in the multiple posts that I already shared with you. If accommodating your works based false gospel (which is the result of bad semantics and flawed hermeneutics) and culminates in salvation by water baptism is the only thing you are interested in, then you will not accept the truth no matter how many times that I explain it to you and I'm tired of wasting my time beating a dead horse. Once again, let me know when you are ready to repent (change your mind) and place your faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation (Acts 11:17,18; 15:7-9; 20:21; Ephesians 2:8,9) by trusting in His death, burial and resurrection as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation. (Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4)
I repent daily. I turn back to Christ continually, because the world is continually trying to turn me aside, not only to sinful passions of the flesh, but also to a soft, water down, ineffective gospel that you and so many "ministers" who claim to teach the Word propagate. I would love it if what you teach were the correct and accurate message that comes from Scripture. But it is not! It is so much easier to teach your false gospel: that we can sit still in our seat, hear a message, say a prayer in our heart, and presto the Holy Spirit will forgive our sins. Then we can continue to live how we always have because, since there was nothing we did to become saved, there is nothing that we can do to lose that salvation. But nothing could be further from the truth than that. That leaves people thinking they are saved, but God never knows them. God never removes their sins, and they are not going to Heaven. When you are ready to accept the truth that is in God's word, you can come back and we can study God's Word together.

I repent daily. I turn back to Christ continually, because the world is continually trying to turn me aside, not only to sinful passions of the flesh, but also to a soft, water down, ineffective gospel that you and so many "ministers" who claim to teach the Word propagate. I would love it if what you teach were the correct and accurate message that comes from Scripture. But it is not! It is so much easier to teach your false gospel: that we can sit still in our seat, hear a message, say a prayer in our heart, and presto the Holy Spirit will forgive our sins. Then we can continue to live how we always have because, since there was nothing we did to become saved, there is nothing that we can do to lose that salvation. But nothing could be further from the truth than that. That leaves people thinking they are saved, but God never knows them. God never removes their sins, and they are not going to Heaven. When you are ready to accept the truth that is in God's word, you can come back and we can study God's Word together.
When all else fails play the straw man card. :rolleyes:

There is no "straw man" there. That is the result of the "gospel" you teach.
The result of your false gospel is works salvation/works righteousness/self righteousness. The gospel I preach is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) which is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES (Romans 1:16) and to "believe" the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation. If we don't believe the gospel then we will remain lost regardless of what else we may believe or disbelieve.

It is so much easier to teach your false gospel: that we can sit still in our seat, hear a message, say a prayer in our heart, and presto the Holy Spirit will forgive our sins. Then we can continue to live how we always have because, since there was nothing we did to become saved, there is nothing that we can do to lose that salvation.
There is your straw man argument.

According to his erroneous interpretation of Romans 10:9,10 (which undermines Romans 10:8) the mute cannot be saved.

That certainly is problematic
According to his erroneous interpretation of James 2:20-26, when Abraham believed in the Lord in Genesis 15:6 and God counted it to him for righteousness, he still remained a lost man until many years later, after he offered up Isaac in Genesis 22 when his faith was made complete by works.
That also is certainly problematic (unbiblical)

Doug remains under the delusion that works are the source of life in faith and "justified by works" in James 2 means "saved by works," yet James is not using the word "justified" here to mean "accounted as righteous" but is shown to be righteous. James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3) Works bear out the justification that already came by faith.

I often hear works-salvationists cite John 3:36 in the NASB and "stress" the word "obey" to imply that we are saved "by" obedience/works which "follow" believing in the Son for salvation. In regard to "does not obey the Son" in the New American Standard translation of the Bible, this does not mean that receiving eternal life is received based on the merits of our obedience/works which "follow" believing in the Son but obey by choosing to believe in the Son. If John wanted to make obedience the central theme in salvation here, he would have said: "He who believes and obeys the Son has eternal life," but that is not what John said. To obey the Son here is to choose to believe in the Son.

Yes as the KJV translates

and BAGD notes

3. since, in the view of the early Christians, the supreme disobedience was a refusal to believe their gospel, ἀ. may be restricted in some passages to the mng. disbelieve, be an unbeliever. This sense, though greatly disputed (it is not found outside our lit.), seems most probable in J 3:36; Ac 14:2; 19:9; Ro 15:31, and only slightly less prob. in Ro 2:8; 1 Pt 2:8; 3:1, perh. also vs. 20; 4:17; IMg 8:2. M-M.*

The King James Version renders this same verse as: He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that "believeth not the Son" shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. The NIV says "rejects the Son" and the HCSB says, "refuses to believe in the Son." To refuse to believe in the Son is to disobey, rebel, be disloyal and refuse conformity. Strong’s definition of apeitheo is "to disbelieve willfully and perversely." *In the context of 3:36, to "not obey the Son" means to reject the Son by refusing to believe in the Son.
Yes the first half of the verse

John 3:36 (KJV 1900) — 36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: ....................

leads to the idea - he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

What does "believed" mean? Even in Hebrew, the word does not just mean "intellectual assent". It means the same as the Greek "pistis",
to stand firm, to trust, to be certain, to believe in
  1. stand firm
  2. trust, believe
Seeing as no one has argued for mere intellectual, assent this is nothing but a straw man

Let us also note it does not mean be baptized with water

He trusted and stood firm in God's promise. He did not just "think", but he acted as if it were already done.

He was justified upon believing according to scripture

You need to take that fact to heart

The result of your false gospel is works salvation/works righteousness/self righteousness.
There is no self righteousness in complete surrender to God's will. He is the only one who can remove the stain of sin. He is the only one who can forgive sin. And He has told us under what conditions He will do so. Certainly, belief is necessary, and so is repentance, confession, and baptism. All of these things God has said lead to/result in receiving salvation. That does not mean that these things "earn" or "deserve" salvation. Turning to walk a different kind of life, publicly claiming Jesus as Lord, and getting pushed beneath water does not merit the life of the Son of God. How could it, unless you value the life of the God/Man so cheaply.
The gospel I preach is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) which is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES (Romans 1:16) and to "believe" the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation. If we don't believe the gospel then we will remain lost regardless of what else we may believe or disbelieve.
All of that if completely true, but not the complete truth. Absolutely we remain lost if we don't believe the Gospel. But that does not impact what it takes to receive salvation when we do believe. Belief is not the only qualification stated in Scripture for receiving salvation. It is the most frequent, but not the only one, and if it is the only one we accept then we make Scripture out to contain falsehoods.

Seeing as no one has argued for mere intellectual, assent this is nothing but a straw man
You continually claim that "belief", with no action or anything else, is the only requirement to receive salvation. That makes the "belief" merely intellectual assent, not the faith that is required by Scripture.
Let us also note it does not mean be baptized with water
But Scripture does say that water baptism is required to receive salvation. So yes, when "belief" is the only requirement stated, it encompasses all the other requirements like repentance, confession, and baptism.
He was justified upon believing according to scripture

You need to take that fact to heart
Again, you use "believing" as if it means intellectual assent. It means to have an active faith and trust. Abram was justified because he exhibited his faith in God's promise. He did not just mentally accept that God would do what He said, but he acted as if it were already true.

Back
Top Bottom