Two Minutes in the Bible through Psalms

Tenacious Truth

Your statutes, LORD, stand firm; holiness adorns your house for endless days.
PSALM 93:5

The statutes of God stand firm forever. No secular storm can blow His truth from its moorings. No tempest of deceptive lies can untether truth from Almighty God. As the rocks remain unmoved from the tumult of the raging seas, so God’s truth resists the shifting current of culture’s opinions. Our faith is founded on the foundation of God’s character. What He says can be trusted and acted upon, because He’s 100 percent trustworthy.

Thank God for the outcome of His truth. His truth sets you free (John 8:32). His truth protects you (Psalm 40:11). His truth guides you (Psalm 25:5). His truth allows you to persevere (Proverbs 12:19). His truth creates value (Proverbs 16:13). His truth facilitates our worship (John 4:24). His truth is to be obeyed (Galatians 5:7). Knowing His truth leads to thanksgiving (1 Timothy 4:3). His truth brings joy (3 John 4).

“They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved” (2 Thessalonians 2:10).

You can be extremely grateful to God for the fruit of His truth. Don’t take truth for granted, but remain grateful instead. Remain a student of truth. This sends a signal of what you value and appreciate. The truth of God is a tremendous asset. Thank God for His truth. Praise the Lord for His precepts. His statutes stand firm. Let the truth of Almighty God transform your mind and heart. Be transformed by the renewing of your mind (Romans 12:2).

Keep your mind tidy with truth. Otherwise your mind becomes cluttered and confused with messy thinking. Invite Christ’s truth to clean up the home of your heart. Then your heart will be furnished with the fixtures of His truth. Holiness will adorn your character and life. Right thinking and pure living are the goals of understanding and applying knowledge and truth.

Allow your pride to deflate and your humility to inflate under the influence of God’s truth. Tenacious truth is your true north. Bend toward truth. Embrace truth. Believe and obey truth.

How is truth tied to the Lord’s holiness? What truth do I need to embrace for God’s Spirit to transform me?

Related Readings
Proverbs 4:6; Acts 28:25; Romans 9:1; Ephesians 1:13; 3 John 3

Boyd Bailey, Two Minutes in the Bible through Psalms: A 90-Day Devotional

Christ’s Consolation

When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.
PSALM 94:19

Anxiety can overwhelm us, like an imposing mountain too high to climb. It can drown us like an ocean riptide. An anxious heart is impossible to handle alone. It will continue to eat away at your peace and security until you’re totally consumed by fear and failure. Anxiety kills relationships, because there’s nothing left to give. Your emotional capacity is dried up with worry.

No one is immune to anxiety, but people tend to avoid the anxious. They feel preyed upon. Perpetual anxiety becomes relational dead weight. Sometimes worry attacks you from the rear in a relationship. You believe things are going just fine, then everything blows up in your face. You feel rejected and totally out of control. This is your time to refrain from attacking back, and instead to retreat with Christ. Replace anxiety and anger with trust and patience. Patience follows love. You’re patient with who and what you love. Love is patient (1 Corinthians 13:4).

“Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up” (Proverbs 12:25).

Allow the Lord to love you so you can love others. Christ is your counselor. He replaces your hurt with forgiveness. He transforms your sorrow with hope. He leads you out of rejection and into His sanctuary of rest. The counsel of Christ brings joy to your soul. The joy of Jesus is your jumping-off point in prayer. The comfort of Christ generates joy. Your extreme anxiety is God’s opportunity. Your comfort flows out of communion with Christ. Soon you’ll say goodbye to anxious thinking and replace it with joyful trust. Peace and gladness become giddy with God.

Christ consoles you so you can console others. You’re a conduit for God’s grace. Don’t strive anxiously. Instead, go to God for grace and dispense it liberally. An ounce of grace is weightier than a ton of anxiety. “Do not be anxious about anything” (Philippians 4:6). Leave it with the Lord, and receive the joy of the Lord. He’s your soul’s strength and security!

How can I rest in Christ’s consolation? Who needs to hear a word of comfort from me?

Related Readings
Job 6:10; 15:11; Ecclesiastes 11:10; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Philippians 2:1-4

Heart Issues

Today, if only you would hear his voice, “Do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah, as you did that day at Massah in the wilderness.”
PSALM 95:7-8

A hardened heart cannot hear because it chooses not to listen. A crusty heart is obstinately ignorant to the ways of God. Its mind is made up to meander down the path of pride. A hardened heart wanders the wrong way (Hebrews 3:7-10). It’s also hurtful, inflicting pain on itself and others. A hardened heart fossilizes faith. It builds up layers of hurt that encrust into stubbornness over time. It’s trapped in a web of mistrust and misdeeds.

Humans harden hearts, and only heaven can soften them. It’s the tender touch of Jesus that melts a man’s heart. His love lubricates. He infuses humility—the cure for a hardened heart. A humble heart moves from a stubborn soul to a sensitive spirit. It grows from immaturity to maturity. It migrates from going its own way to following God’s way. Humility softens hardness with healing. Mercy is liquid love. It saturates the dry clay of a crusty heart.

“What does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God” (Micah 6:8).

The Lord is the potter and you are the clay. Clay humbly submits to its creator (Isaiah 29:16). Humility keeps you moldable and useable. Otherwise, pride cracks under pressure. It becomes brittle and loses its boldness. Humility positions you to become the artwork of Almighty God.

Humble yourself under the mighty hand of God (1 Peter 5:6). Do it today in preparation for tomorrow. Pride procrastinates. Humility activates.

Your humility will ratchet up your capacity for listening. Then you can listen large. Listen to the Lord’s voracious voice of wisdom. Listen to your caring spouse’s voice of concern. Listen to your mentor’s mature voice warning and reminding. Listen quietly to your humbled heart. Christ is calling you. He’s the Shepherd of your sheep-like soul. Be bold, but loving. Be courageous, but caring. A humble heart hears and obeys the Lord.

“Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the LORD when you heard what I have spoken…and because you tore your robes and wept in my presence, I also have heard you, declares the LORD” (2 Kings 22:19).

Am I humble and teachable? In what area of my life do I need to humble myself before the Lord?

Related Readings
Exodus 10:3; Isaiah 57:15; Zechariah 7:9-10; Matthew 9:13; Acts 28:27

His Holiness

Worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness; tremble before him, all the earth.
PSALM 96:9

Holiness is the glorious combination of God’s attributes. It sums up His comprehensive character. His wonder is overwhelming. God’s holiness is a majestic sight to behold. Pure perfection is the splendor of the Lord. His holiness deserves our praise. In our humble worship we appreciate the Almighty for who He is: our awesome God—forever high and lifted up.

Some kings are deposed, and all eventually die, but our King reigns forever. His eternal throne towers above man’s temporary monarchs. His holiness is regal, yet raw in reality. As we perceive the enormity of His holiness, we pray and worship in profound awe of the Almighty. If earthly kings engage our respect and honor, how much more should the King of kings? John felt this on the isle of Patmos. He describes the surreal effect of heaven’s holiness on a mere human being.

“When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: ‘Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades’” (Revelation 1:17-18).

God’s holiness adjusts our posture. It alters our lives. So ascribe to Almighty God the glory due His name. Speak the Lord’s name with holy reverence and fear. Do not speak of God glibly. Allow His holiness to make your character attractive. It’s in the presence of Holy God that you’re convicted of unholy attitudes, actions, and conversations. Look into His loving eyes and allow Him to create a countenance of compassion on your face. Be holy as He is holy (1 Peter 1:15-16).

Without the grace of God, we’re ugly and untethered. However, the Holy Spirit surprises us with heart beautification. He executes an extreme makeover of our soul and spirit. Our life is made lovely under the transforming power of Holy God. His holiness is our asset of attractiveness. Behold His beauty, and grow beautiful. Worship the Lord in the splendor of His holiness!

“I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple” (Isaiah 6:1).

How can I worship God in the beauty of His holiness? How does He want to purify my heart?

Related Readings
Exodus 23:25; Isaiah 35:8; Jonah 1:9; 1 Thessalonians 4:7; 1 John 3:3

Be Glad

The LORD reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice.
PSALM 97:1

You can be glad because the Lord reigns. He reigns over the righteous and the unrighteous. God governs the universe. Christ is in control. Jesus said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me” (Matthew 28:18). These are comforting words to those of us who follow Christ. Only those who reject or forget Jesus recoil from His reign. They live in a sad state. But for us, there’s great joy and comfort knowing Christ is on His throne. The reign of earthly rulers can be ruinous and unrighteous, but the reign of God gives life and righteousness. Be glad.

Your life may seem little right now. You feel faithless and overwhelmed by a barrage of disbelief, problems, and misconceptions. You may feel taken advantage of, lied about, or misunderstood. Your faith may be fractured under this unfair weight. Sadness is seeping into your soul.

Don’t despair. Christ cares. He infuses joy into hard situations.

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance” (James 1:2-3).

There’s good news. Your heavenly Father has not been deposed by the devil. Satan cannot usurp the authority of Almighty God. The kingdoms of this world are full of injustice, crime, and punishment. The kingdom of God is just, freeing, and rewarding. Bow in belief to King Jesus. He’ll dispense hope and joy to your hurting heart. God gives gladness. Jesus prayed, “Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10).

God’s will is that He reign in and through His saints. His followers are to engage as kingdom citizens. Be glad, for the day is coming when His people will reign exclusively over His kingdom. Be glad that you’re not of this world, though you’re in the world as His representative. Be glad you’re God’s. Be glad He reigns over life and death. Be glad He’s your King!

“The sovereignty, power and greatness of all the kingdoms under heaven will be handed over to the holy people of the Most High. His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all rulers will worship and obey him” (Daniel 7:27).

What’s out of my control that I can entrust to Christ’s control? Is the joy of Jesus my strength?

Related Readings
Psalm 9:2; Matthew 5:12; Acts 5:41; 2 Corinthians 6:10; Hebrews 10:34

Be Joyful

Let the rivers clap their hands, let the mountains sing together for joy; let them sing before the LORD, for he comes to judge the earth.
PSALM 98:8-9

Almighty God’s judgment is accompanied by the joy of His handiwork. Celebrate Christ’s coming! Celebrate His first coming, for He has done marvelous things. His life was matchless in pure virtue. His death was sacrificial in providing salvation for all who believe. His resurrection was electric in releasing eternal energy for all who are filled by His Holy Spirit. You can rejoice because of the righteous judgment of God. Joyful surrender readies you for Christ’s coming.

Mary understood joy at the first coming of Jesus. After the angel’s words sunk in that she was to become a mom, the mother of God, she exclaimed, “My soul glorifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior” (Luke 1:46-47). Becoming a mother encompassed her soul with joy. Baby Jesus was her joy. She couldn’t keep quiet, for the coming of her Lord and her child was at hand. Joy resonated in the heavens and resounded throughout the earth.

“A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world” (John 16:21).

Live your life in triumphant victory, not in dismal defeat. You are more than a conqueror through Christ, through Him who loves you (Romans 8:37). The Lord’s great love is your life preserver. “The joy of the LORD is your strength” (Nehemiah 8:10). You serve a risen Savior who’s in the world today. Make sure your security and significance are in Christ and not in your son or daughter. Your identity is in Christ. Go regularly to Jesus for a cup of joy. Drink often.

Don’t allow mistreatment or inequity to rob your joy. God will one day judge with equity. His days seem longer than ours, so be patient. Turn off the depressing songs of Satan. He’s a joy killer. Reject his joyless tunes. Instead, tune in to your trustworthy Savior Jesus. Sing at the top of your lungs to the Lord. Sing the new song Christ has composed. His Holy Spirit harmonizes your life with joy and peace. Sing joyfully for what He has done, is doing, and will do. Be joyful in Jesus!

“Sing for joy, you heavens, for the LORD has done this; shout aloud, you earth beneath” (Isaiah 44:23).

How has Satan tried to steal my joy? What blessings from the Lord can I regularly rejoice about?

Related Readings
Psalms 68:3; 100:2; Habakkuk 3:18; Romans 12:12; Philippians 2:2; 4:1

Praying Leaders

Moses and Aaron were among his priests, Samuel was among those who called on his name; they called on the LORD and he answered them.
PSALM 99:6

Why do leaders need to pray? Prayer protects leaders from substituting their own accomplishments for God’s favor. They’re tempted to take matters into their own hands and forget heaven. They can drive so hard that they hinder the work of the Holy Spirit. Leaders are great candidates for prayer, because they’re out front and exposed to the enemy. Prayer positions them for success.

They need prayer’s protection. In distress the devil tempts them. In success, pride seduces them. Leaders need to look to the Lord, for He is their all-knowing leader. Paul, on the road to Damascus, was arrested by Almighty God’s grace. Blinded by the light of God’s leadership, he followed without fully knowing where it would take him (Acts 22:6-11). Leaders need prayer because God’s plan is much bigger than the mind alone can comprehend. Prayer gives faith and hope.

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer” (Romans 12:12).

Praying leaders have a profound impact on those around them. The residue of prayer rubs off on others: faith, hope, love, grace, forgiveness, purity, and courage. On bended knee you gain the wisdom, confidence, and creditability to stand and lead. Learning to lead comes out of the discipline of prayer. Prayer restrains you from racing ahead of the Lord. The disciples learned to rely on the Spirit’s lead for a leadership need (Acts 1:12-14).

Praying leaders will magnify their utter dependence on God. You pray like you breathe, often and unconsciously. Invest the time to pray with and for your team. Prayer breathes life. It’s your first offensive tactic, not your last resort. Prayer isn’t your plan B—it’s always plan A. Gather your family together to pray for the sick, the lost, and leaders in authority (1 Timothy 2:1-3). Pray when you feel led and when you don’t. The effect of your prayers isn’t based on your feelings, but on faith. Praying leaders see God—and see Him transform their lives!

“The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective” (James 5:16).

In what ways can my leadership be more dependent on God in prayer? Is my character keeping up with my success?

Related Readings
1 Kings 18:41-45; Matthew 7:7; Mark 1:35; John 9:31; Acts 20:36

Enduring Love

For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.
PSALM 100:5

The love of God never ceases. Christ’s love is continual because it flows from the inexhaustible reservoir of God’s goodness. Man’s lakes may languish for lack of rain, but not the love of the Lord. There’s no drought of love in the divine scheme of things. It rains down from heaven in massive sheets of mercy and faithfulness. It pelts our pride and melts our heart. The love of God endures. Your heavenly Father’s love is not fickle. It is faithful and true.

Your earthly father’s love may be conditional and undependable. It may be hard for him to love, because he’s rarely been loved himself. But you have the opportunity and privilege of moving beyond the drought of your dad’s love to bow beneath the waterfall of Christ’s compassion. Christ’s covenant of love with His children never falters. You can forever trust in God’s unfailing love.

“I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever” (Psalm 52:8).

Because of God’s enduring love, you have reason to rejoice. His love is your excuse to exercise continual praise and thanksgiving. Don’t remain defeated by dire circumstances and negative thinking. God loves you. He has saved your soul. God loves you. He has made you whole. God loves you. He provides you work. God loves you. He has given you life. Your shouts of joy drown out the murmurings in your mind. You are His. “Owned by God” is your trademark of trust. Let gratitude govern your thinking, because God’s love endures forever.

Because His love is everlasting, you have Christ’s capacity to love continually. You can love sinners and saints alike. Jesus did (Luke 5:30). He spent time with people unlike Himself. This is the posture of love. Release God’s love to shine through your soul. Be a leader in love. It’s Christ’s love, manifested through you, that the Lord uses to lead others to Himself. Be a lover who endures. Love in the good times and especially in the hard times. Love endures!

“Give thanks to the LORD, for his love endures forever” (2 Chronicles 20:21).

How does God express His enduring love to me? What’s my response to His love?

Related Readings
Psalm 138:8; Isaiah 55:3; Jeremiah 33:11; 1 Corinthians 8:3; James 1:12

Eye Protection

I will conduct the affairs of my house with a blameless heart.
I will not look with approval on anything that is vile.
I hate what faithless people do; I will have no part in it.
PSALM 101:2-3

Spiritual eyesight is a gift from God. His Spirit allows us to see and understand spiritual truths (1 Corinthians 2:12-14). This is why we want our walk with Christ to be blameless. A blameless life is able to behold Almighty God and His attributes. Your blameless life keeps your eyesight from becoming blurred to your Savior. You see the goodness of God above the wickedness of the world.

The object of your faith focus begins at home. Your heart needs the Spirit’s eye protection from worldly media. Where your eyes give permission, the heart gives admission. Eve and Adam were first fixated by the appeal of the fruit to their eyes (Genesis 3:6-7). Their eyes were opened by sin to sin. Once its allure entered their eyes, it arrested their minds and hands. They ignored the protection of their eyes. Eye protection is essential to enjoying a close walk with Christ.

“I made a solemn pact with myself never to undress a girl with my eyes” (Job 31:1 MSG).

Don’t flirt with sin; view it with scorn and abhorrence. Christ died for our sins (1 Corinthians 15:3); the least we can do is die to sin. By faith, Paul died daily (1 Corinthians 15:31). Abundant life (John 10:10) is preceded by ongoing death. The sirens of sin will seduce you more often than not. Avoid what you see coming. Flee from temptation. Eye protection is an invitation to walk with Christ.

Expose your eyes to what’s acceptable to your heavenly Father. He’s serious about how you steward your eyesight (Matthew 5:29). Your eyes are a paintbrush to the canvas of your soul. Use both of them to create works of art, pleasing to the Almighty. This inner artwork is attractive to those who love you the most. Nonetheless, be wise where you look. Look on God’s creation with admiration and awe. Where you look is what you become—so be selective and protective with your eyes. Focus on the good. Have an eye for the eternal. Look to the Lord first and foremost!

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God” (Matthew 5:8).

What does it mean to see God? How can I protect my eyes from unseemly images?

Related Readings
Psalm 119:18; Hosea 9:10; John 6:46; 1 Corinthians 2:9

Cry for Help

Hear my prayer, LORD; let my cry for help come to you.
PSALM 102:1

Sometimes you feel desperate. Your needs get the best of you, overwhelming you. Your sorrow has intensified your prayers into crying. But this is the design of distress. Pain is meant to drive you to God. You cry out to Christ because He cares. Seek heaven for help. Listening to Jesus provides resources for abundant living. In solitude a troubled soul can be soothed.

Trouble finds trust and peace in Christ (John 14:1-6). You find security with your Savior. A cry for help is humbling, but it’s not meant to be humiliating. It’s those who refuse help who look foolish. Wisdom cries out to God. It acknowledges the Almighty.

Seek often the kind face of your heavenly Father. Don’t allow your inner woes, your personal enemies, or your physical ailments to drive a wedge between you and God. Prayer is a bridge to belief in Christ.

“Because Jesus lives forever…he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them” (Hebrews 7:25).

Pause in your painful lamentation and earnestly seek the Lord. Your complaint to Christ will not be held against you. Release your anger and receive God’s grace. The person with whom you have conflict may never change, but you can. Receive God’s love, so you can love. Receive God’s forgiveness, so you can forgive. Receive Christ’s courage, so you can be courageous. Receive the joy of Jesus, so you can be joyful. Receive heaven’s hope, so you can be hopeful. There’s weeping in the night, but joy comes in the morning (Psalm 30:5).

Sincere supplication to your Savior is your aggressive ally. Use it for yourself and others. Don’t be shy about acquainting others with your grief. Don’t struggle through life bearing your burdens alone (Galatians 6:2). Some will find a blessing in being your burden bearer. Christians are meant to live in community, not in the silent cries of isolation. The Lord listens to your cries. He cares. He loves. He has sent His Word to heal your wounded heart.

“He sent out his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave” (Psalm 107:20).

How does the Lord want to comfort your heart? Who else can carry your burden with you?

Related Readings
Exodus 2:23; Psalm 4:1; Isaiah 25:8; Luke 18:7; Hebrews 5:7

Benefits Package

Praise the LORD, my soul, and forget not all his benefits.
PSALM 103:2

God’s benefits package is exceedingly generous. It’s not limited to human resources, but embraces heaven’s resources. He forgives your sins and gives you eternal life insurance. His sick leave includes healing from disease. He rescues you from the pit of purposeless living and places you in a caring community with convictions. He crowns you with love and compassion. He satisfies your longings with good things. He renews your energy, so you can engage life.

God’s benefits to believers far exceed what we deserve. The Lord’s presence is music to the ears of our soul. His comforting Spirit causes us to burst forth in praise, “Bless the Lord, O my soul.” Our praise contains more gratitude to God than our tongues alone can tell.
Like Moses, you may be so inundated by His benefits you have to request relief from His blessings (Exodus 36:5-6). His bountiful benefits require wise management. Your great God is generous to provide.

“Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment” (1 Timothy 6:17).

Remember the spouse you prayed for and how God gave you much more than you deserved. You’re the benefactor of a companion who cares for you like Christ. How beneficial is the job He has given you? It’s probably not perfect, but it’s perfect for you. Your job is a platform for kingdom influence. Steward, work well. Serve unselfishly. His benefits are a treasure entrusted to you. Use His benefits to you for the benefit of others.

Christ’s benefits to His followers are bold and life-changing. His benefits package is superabundant. The Lord’s favor exceeds the world’s standards. His blessings of character make you a better person. You’re meant to wear His attributes of holiness, love, forgiveness, mercy, compassion, and grace. Yes, from the depths of your soul, bless the Lord and forget not all His benefits!

“Hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us” (Romans 5:5).

How can I thank the Lord for His generous benefits? Who can I bless with God’s rich blessings?

Related Readings
Nehemiah 4:14; Job 33:26; Psalm 25:6; Acts 20:35; Ephesians 1:3

Gladden the Heart

He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for people to cultivate—bringing forth food from the earth: wine that gladdens human hearts, oil to make their faces shine, and bread that sustains their hearts.
PSALM 104:14-15

God meant for wine to gladden the heart. It originates from the fruit of His creation. Jesus made wine at the wedding of a friend (John 2:1-11). This was the first of His miracles that grew His disciples’ faith in Him. Wine is for times of celebration and relational investment—not self-indulgence. Responsible consumption requires self-control. Wise use precludes foolishness.

Don’t partake if it causes a brother or sister to stumble (Romans 14:21). Those who are mature never intentionally tempt others. The wise abstain in deference to those who abstain. Wine’s design is to make the heart merry, but not to inebriate the mind. It’s to be enjoyed in moderation, not in drunkenness. Instead, allow Christ to control your life through the filling of His Spirit.

“Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18).

Alcohol causes you to lose your inhibitions, and that can lead to unsavory behavior. This is why wisdom enjoys wine with accountability. Don’t drink if it leads you into temptation. The wise use of wine is limited, or none at all. Avoid its blessing becoming a curse. If you’re a leader, be extremely cautious. One bad night can stain a lifetime of respected reputation. Wise use refrains.

Use your freedom to drink or not to drink with humility and sensitivity. In either case, you’re not necessarily any more spiritual. Arrogance from not drinking wine is as ugly as drunkenness. When you’re with those who believe differently, don’t lord over them your freedom to abstain or not. God’s good creation is not to be polluted by pride. As the Lord leads, enjoy the fruit of the vine. Allow God to gladden your heart through the wise use of wine. Be discreet. Be accountable. Be responsible. Be glad!

“Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise” (Proverbs 20:1).

How can I use my abstinence of alcohol to benefit others? Am I discreet and disciplined in my use of wine?

Related Readings
Genesis 9:21-23; 19:32-36; Numbers 6:1-4; John 2:1-11; 1 Timothy 3:8

Position of Influence

[Egypt’s king] made [Joseph] master of his household, ruler over all he possessed, to instruct his princes as he pleased and teach his elders wisdom.
PSALM 105:21-22

You’re in a position of influence for a purpose. A significant part of your purpose is to influence influencers. Just as God raised up Joseph, He may have positioned you in a place you couldn’t have scripted alone. He has taken your troubled circumstances and turned them into an opportunity for good. Because you were faithful during the stressful times, He has opened a door of influence. Pray for those around you, and invest your wisdom and time in them. Leaders need godly counselors they can trust (Proverbs 15:22).

Stay humble and teachable. Invite the Holy Spirit to engraft God’s Word into your heart and mind. A growing soul gains influence over other seeking souls. You earn the right to be respected and followed as you submit to Almighty God and the authorities in your life. Joseph was falsely accused and mistreated, but he kept the high road of submission to the process until truth prevailed. He trusted God for equity and justice. Joseph’s influence grew as he grew in faith.

“But Joseph said to them, ‘Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives’” (Genesis 50:19-20).

Use your position of influence first and foremost to point people to Christ. Start with the small circle of those who know you best, then watch the Lord leverage your influence into a grander scale for His glory. Authorities invite influence from those they trust. Stay trustworthy in the small things, and the larger ones will take care of themselves (Matthew 25:21).

See your influence as a stewardship. You invest in your children for life when you regularly tell them, “I’m so proud of how God is using you,” or when you remark to your spouse, “I love you; you’re God’s gift to me.” Most of all, be influenced by Jesus. Hide His Word in your heart (Psalm 119:11). Make prayer a priority. Listen to the Lord and do what He says. The most effective influencers are those who are influenced by Christ. Be a person of integrity, and your influence will never lack the Lord’s blessing. Your influence is God’s gift to use for His purposes.

“Do you see someone skilled in their work? They will serve before kings” (Proverbs 22:29).

How can I use my influence for God’s kingdom? How do I need the Spirit to influence me?

Related Readings
Genesis 41:46; Exodus 18:19; 1 Kings 11:28; Acts 27:11; 1 Timothy 4:12

Consistent Behavior

Blessed are those who act justly, who always do what is right.
PSALM 106:3

In the power of the Holy Spirit seek to do right as the Lord defines right. Consistent behavior brings out the blessing of God and incurs the favor of man. Yes, there will be those who snarl at your good works, but this is to be expected. Proud men punished Daniel because he did what was right with his persistent prayers (Daniel 6:10-12). Not everyone is interested in integrity, but most want to be treated right.

Better to constantly pray to Christ and receive clarity than to stay confused with inconsistent intercession. Constant prayer keeps you aware of the Almighty’s agenda; it’s your “check and balance” to good behavior. Be constantly in the presence of Christ and be conformed to the truth that you’re wholly His. The Lord’s ownership requires holiness—this brings happiness to a humble heart. Christ blesses a life aligned with His will.

“Blessed [anticipating God’s presence, spiritually mature] are the pure in heart [those with integrity, moral courage, and godly character], for they will see God” (Matthew 5:8 AMP).

Constantly do right, and you’ll grow the equity of your integrity. Consistent character gives you creditability, respect, and influence. For instance, follow through with your word, especially when circumstances change. If you quoted someone a sale price or made a generous promise to a friend, follow through—even though the facts may have shifted out of your favor. Relationships are more important than money. Your consistent behavior may be what wins others to Christ.

Define and do right as outlined by Almighty God. Christ’s concordance of right is laid out in His Holy Word. “It is written” (Matthew 4:4) was a constant phrase that seasoned the lips of Jesus. In teaching and conversation He quoted Scripture because it was His baseline for belief and behavior. Adhere to the Almighty’s words, and you’ll effectively do His work. Constantly doing right isn’t always fun, but it’s freeing when you look into the face of Jesus with no regrets. By God’s grace, constantly do what’s right, and people will see Jesus in you.

“Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:16).

Is my behavior consistent with Christ’s expectations? Where is Jesus calling me to more consistency?

Related Readings
Proverbs 8:30; Acts 1:14; Hebrews 5:14; James 1:7-8

How to Become a Disciple of Jesus Christ

Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
MATTHEW 28:18-20

Holy Scripture provides principles regarding becoming a disciple and making disciples:

Believe
Belief in Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord gives you eternal life in heaven.

If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved (Romans 10:9).

Repent and Be Baptized
To repent is to turn from your sin and to publicly confess Christ in baptism.

Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38).

Obey
Obedience is an indicator of our love for the Lord Jesus and His presence in our life.

Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them” (John 14:23).

Worship, Prayer, Community, Evangelism, and Study
Worship and prayer express our gratitude and honor to God and our dependence on His grace. Community and evangelism show our accountability to Christians and compassion for non-Christians. Study to apply the knowledge, understanding, and wisdom of God.

Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved (Acts 2:46-47).

Love God
Intimacy with Almighty God is a growing and loving relationship. We’re loved by Him so that we can love others and be empowered by the Holy Spirit to obey His commands.

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment” (Matthew 22:37-38).

Love People
Our love for others flows from our love for our heavenly Father. We’re able to love because He first loved us.

And the second is like it: “Love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:39).

Make Disciples
We disciple others because we’re grateful to God and to those who disciple us, and because we want to obey Christ’s last instructions before going to heaven.

The things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others (2 Timothy 2:2).

Boyd Bailey, Two Minutes in the BibleTM through Psalms: A 90-Day Devotional

“Seek Him, He is ready to teach you today.”

Thoughts from daily Bible reading for today – November 5, 2023

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. John 14:26

I love the tender heart of Jesus. I love how He loves people. I love how He loves us so much that He will never leave us alone. And, I love that before He went to the cross and ascended to heaven, He told His disciples something like this: “I’m going to give you a Helper to be with you who will never leave you, and He will guide you. He will remind you of what I’ve said, and He will be your counselor, advocate, and teacher.”

What great compassion and what great love the Lord has that He didn’t say, “Well, that’s it. I’m going back to heaven. Now, you’re on your own.” Instead, He gave us His very presence through the Holy Spirit. And, how wonderful that we have an all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-wise teacher in Him!

When you aren’t sure which route to take, the Spirit is there to guide you. He is the best teacher.

When you don’t know the words to speak, He will show you what to say. He is the best teacher.

When you feel discouraged, the Spirit is there to reveal truth to you and give you the help you need to go on. He is the best teacher.

“He will guide you into all truth” (John 16:13).

How marvelous that the Spirit, full of truth, will share with you and me what He hears from Jesus. (John 16:14)

But what is it that often prevents us to from receiving life-giving teaching and truth from the Spirit?

It can be many things such as pride, or a lack of belief in the Lord’s love. But oftentimes it’s simply because of unbelief. We simply don’t take the Lord’s words to heart, that the Spirit is there for us, so we don’t seek Him. We’re simply not listening.

I recently spoke with a young man who is having some challenges in his personal and professional life. I encouraged him to seek the Lord for answers and that the Holy Spirit would guide him. The Lord said He would guide us into all truth. May we seek Him for the truth He promises! If we do not, what treasures we are forfeiting! Can you imagine what He wants to reveal to you?

I encourage you today . . . if you believe God still speaks as He says He does in His Word; if you believe He hasn’t forgotten you, and that He is ready to hear you, won’t you seek Him for His truth today? He is listening. He is ready to teach you.

The Holy Spirit is the best teacher.

“But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you” (John 16:7).

Prayer

Lord, I will take you at your Word. You have said that the Holy Spirit will teach me, guide me, and be with me forever. Help me to seek truth through the Spirit that comes from God. Thank you for always being with me through the Spirit. Amen.

Application

Take time today to ask the Lord to reveal His truth to you through the Spirit. Then, listen for Him to speak to you all throughout the day.

Related Reading

Acts 1:8; John 7:39; John 15:26

An Overwhelmed Heart

When my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the Rock that is higher than I. Psalm 61:2

Life tends to overwhelm us from time to time. Work deadlines. Extra busy calendars. Health challenges. Accidents. World events. Disappointments. Moral failures. Prodigal children. Death.

One or all of these experiences bundled together can feel overwhelming in the moment. A heart of faith is resilient, yet outside pressure can still feel uncomfortable and hard to bear, even impossible by ourselves. When feelings of being overwhelmed threaten a peaceful heart, praise to God is a heavenly release valve. Like a pressure cooker’s heat and steam used to tenderize the food, the heat of hard times and the steam of sin can be an instrument of the Lord to tender our hearts rather than harden them. So, we praise Him for His love and care, not afraid to confide in Christ and others. We worship our great God, especially in the hours and days we are most sad.

“You have taught the little children to praise you perfectly. May their example shame and silence your enemies!” ( Psalm 8:2, TLB).

This morning, I’m texting back and forth with my wife Rita, who, for ten days, is serving orphans in Cambodia. Eleven hours ahead of our Eastern time zone, this small country is located between India and China. In preparation for her great adventure, we watched films about the horrific killings by rural communist guerrillas between 1975 and 1979, when at least 1.5M Cambodians were killed or died. Saving Susan ministry serves the orphans in this country that still suffer from its devastating past. Though understandably, a heart would feel overwhelmed in this environment, many of the tender young hearts are turning to God. Love is irresistible, especially to those who are open to being loved. Pain can make a heart feel it is being punished and undeserving of love, yet God’s love heals hurting hearts. Jesus already took sin’s punishment on the cross, so now His love forgives and heals. “He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds, you have been healed” (1 Peter 2:24, ESV).

Henri Nouwen reminds us to receive God’s love even when feeling unworthy:

Jesus wants us to receive the love he offers. He wants nothing more than for us to allow him to love us and enjoy that love. This is so hard since we always feel that we have to deserve the love offered to us. But Jesus wants to offer that love to us not because we have earned it but because he has decided to love us independently of any effort on our side. Our own love for each other should flow from that “first love” that is given to us undeserved.”

Do you struggle with feeling that you do not deserve love without first earning love? If so, you are not alone, as many of us can drift into our culture’s requirements of only getting what we deserve. Yet, God’s way of relating to you is through grace and love. What a solace for an overwhelmed heart. With a heavy heart, you follow the comfort of the Spirit to your Rock of refuge, Jesus Christ. Ignore the voices that whisper that you must deserve love before you can receive love. Lies only prolong bondage, while truth releases you to peace and joy. Heavenly heart work has the lasting side effects of peace, joy, and gratitude. Rest on the rock of Love.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, when my heart is overwhelmed without, I turn within to your love and comfort through Christ’s love and in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Application

What burden are you bearing that you could ask another to pray for with you?

Related Reading

Psalm 18:2; 1 Corinthians 3:10-11; Galatians 6:2; Philippians 2:4

https://www.wisdomhunters.com/

“Will you be His funnel or go it alone?”

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

Early in my career as a writer, God gave me an open vision. I was awake and my eyes were open, but in my mind’s eye I saw myself seated at a small desk with pen in hand and a journal in front of me. Jesus stood to my right, and he was talking to me. I didn’t hear what he was saying, but I knew he was giving me words to put on the page. In my vision, I was listening to him and writing down what He said. I knew He was showing me that I am simply His funnel and that He will always give me words to write. All I have to do is ask for His help.

Since then, I cannot tell you the number of times when I have sat with pen and journal in hand, empty without anything to pour out, and I have said, “Lord, please give me something to share. Please give me your words.” Without fail, He has provided, showed up and enabled me to be His funnel.

Being a funnel in life isn’t just for writers. It’s for all people, big and small.

You can be His funnel when you reach out to others to speak words of grace and truth.

You can be His funnel when you discipline your children and show them His way.

You can be His funnel when you share your financial resources to be a blessing.

You can be His funnel when use your creativity to paint, draw, or sing.

You can always be His funnel in every situation and every circumstance to do His will, be a blessing, and bring His light into the world.

Notice the words “can be.” There are times when I have been empty without words to share and I haven’t asked the Lord for His help. I haven’t asked Him to give me His thoughts. I haven’t asked Him to guide me in what I share—and I have felt it. It’s been arduous, difficult, painful, and unpleasant.

But when I have asked for His help, it’s been easier and life-giving, (definitely for me and hopefully for those who read) as I have been led by His Spirit.

My question for you today is: Will you be His funnel? If you answered yes, let me encourage you. It’s not that difficult. It only requires three things:

A humble heart.

A willingness to ask for help in doing His will.

Slowing down long enough to hear.

When you decide to be His funnel and you ask Him to help you do His will, it doesn’t mean it will be easy, but it does mean that it will be easier than doing any task or action in your own strength.

“For the Kingdom of God is . . . righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit” (Romans 14:17).

Prayer

Lord, I ask that you would give me what I need to be your funnel today in my relationships, in my work, in my family, and in all other areas of my life. You are always willing and ready to guide and direct me. I ask for your help today in showing your light to others. I’m ready to be your funnel. Amen.

Application

Ask the Lord to help you to be His funnel today in the area where you most need it, then listen to Him for directions. Amen.

Related Reading

1 Peter 4:10; 1 Peter 2:9; Matthew 5:16; Galatians 2:20; 1 Corinthians 15:58

“If you are not accountable to others, you can talk yourself into almost anything!”

Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice. 1 Samuel 15:22

My biggest regrets in life are when I decide to do things my way when I know the Lord has shown me another way. I justify my will rather than obey God’s will. One such occasion was an encounter with a new “friend” years ago who had a “business” proposition for my wife Rita and me. Having a modest salary as a pastor then, we were open to side hustles as long as it didn’t interfere with our work and family time. Still in discussions, we met over lunch when I noticed our potential business partner took two pieces of fruit instead of the one prescribed by the large sign. I mentioned his minor indiscretion, and he quipped back, “nobody will ever know.” I thought to myself, “well, I know, and more importantly, God Almighty knows”. I sensed in my spirit from the Holy Spirit, “do not work with this man”. Yet impetuous and with an air of greed, we moved forward, agreeing on a one-year deal. And can I just say the next 12 months felt like 12 years, as his gray areas were clearly wrong to us. My lesson was to obey God, not justify.

Saul, one of the Lord’s chosen leaders, won a fierce battle when God gave him clear instructions to take no prisoners and, instead, slay all the enemy, the Amalekites, including their cattle. Saul, not believing the divine commands very practical, decided a better way was to spare the enemy’s leader, the king, and give the victor’s people access to the best of the oxen and sheep. Saul was then called out by the priest Samuel and held accountable for his actions of disobedience. And instead of confessing and repenting…he justified. He even wrapped his reasoning with a spiritual motive, that his plan was to use some of the animals as a sacrifice to God. But Samuel dismissed his religious guise and spoke the truth. Obedience is better than sacrifice. Do things God’s way, not your better way. If we are not accountable to others, we can talk ourselves into almost anything!

Outward religious activities used to justify an inward disobedience to the Lord mocks heaven. Not a healthy place to live. I’ve been guilty of spending generous amounts of time doing the Lord’s work while neglecting the generosity of time for my family and my health, while justifying with my heart and mind that my sacrifice for God was worth whatever I gave up. Yet, the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit was gentle, reminding me of my role as a husband and dad, which required mental and emotional margin to love my family properly. Furthermore, if my body, the Spirit’s temple, was being neglected, I ignored the spiritual discipline of caring for and nurturing my heavenly Father’s complex creation…my body. God’s grace and love called out my disobedience, and thankfully, I have Samuels who remind me to obey and trust the Lord’s best. Your idol of disobedience may look different, yet if it weighs on you…obey now.

“And I said: “I pray, Lord God of heaven, O great and awesome God, You who keep Your covenant and mercy with those who love You and observe Your commandments” (Nehemiah 1:5, NKJV).

Prayer

Heavenly Father, your ways are the best ways; protect me from my own justifications so I might obey you wholeheartedly through Christ’s love and in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Application

Take an audit of your time and pray, “Lord, how can I best obey you with what I schedule on my calendar?”

Related Reading

Psalm 119:48; Daniel 9:4; John 14:15, 21; Romans 13:9

Thoughts from daily Bible reading for today – March 4, 2024

You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Isaiah 26:3

My mind tends to meander like a curious river, making its way serpentine-like through uncharted waters. Sometimes, an inner inspiration leads me to imagine God in a way that gives me inner eyes to see in ways mental staleness may have missed. For example, when Jesus says, “How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!” Matthew 23:37. I can imagine His tender love keeping me close to His heart and wisdom but also a tough love to protect me from unwise choices and venturing through life alone, lacking loving accountability. Where I waste time is when I overthink what I know the Lord, through His Word and godly counsel, has confirmed what I need to do, yet I delay with an excuse propped up by fear. A focused mind is stayed on God. As Oswald Chambers reminds us:

Your mind is the greatest gift God has given you, and it ought to be devoted entirely to Him. You should seek to be “bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5). This will be one of the greatest assets of your faith when a time of trial comes because then your faith and the Spirit of God will work together.

What a great reminder that our faith and God’s Spirit collaborate when our thoughts are being held captive by obedience to Christ. Suffering can cause our thoughts to stray away from the security of seeing the Lord with His compassion and care. The enemy loves to leverage pain for untruthful thinking that causes Jesus to feel distant and unconcerned. We start to second guess what we could have done differently (shame and embarrassment), or we feel God has let us down (anger accompanied by a victim mindset). Either way, we can’t change the past, but we can press forward in our pain by faith, with our mind focused on God’s faithfulness and faithfully doing our part to work with the Holy Spirit to work out the maturing of our faith.

This reminds me of when I reengage with sit-ups and pushups after neglecting them for a period of time. My body aches in pain, but over time, if I stay fixed on a routine, I grow stronger. In a similar fashion, I stay fixed on the Lord in prayer to receive His love and to praise Him with a grateful heart. And while staying focused on His peace, my trust grows, and my calm settles.

In the hustle of daily life, maintaining a God-focused mind requires intentional effort. Cultivate a habit of prayer. Philippians 4:6 urges you to present your requests to God with thanksgiving. Regular, sincere communication with your Creator establishes a constant connection, aligning thoughts with His love. Also, invest time to immerse yourself in Scripture. Psalm 119:105 declares, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Regularly delving into the Bible illuminates your mind with divine truths, providing guidance for life’s journey. Consider incorporating daily scripture reading and meditation to anchor your thoughts in God’s wisdom.

Wisely foster a community of faith. Hebrews 10:25 encourages believers not to forsake gathering together. Surrounding yourself with followers of Jesus creates a supportive environment where faith is strengthened, and minds collectively focus on God. Engaging in worship, fellowship, and shared spiritual practices fortifies the mind against distractions. As your mind is focused on and fortified by faith in Jesus Christ, His perfect peace will guard your heart and guide your life.

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:7, ESV).

Prayer

Heavenly Father, keep my mind focused on your love, so your peace might guard my heart through Christ’s love and in Jesus’ name, amen.

Back
Top Bottom