Two Minutes in the Bible through Psalms

Trust Grows Love

I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever.
PSALM 52:8

Trust in God is the soil in which our love grows. Like a robust olive tree full of branches bearing luscious fruit, trust encourages growth across the limbs of our life. Trust tears down our walls of fear. Trust allows us to outlast our critics. Trust brings to fruition a harvest of hope and patience. Trust keeps us from reacting unjustly. Trust causes good things to grow. Our faith grows. Our humility grows. Our love grows. Our holiness and grace grow. Our fear of God grows. Our character grows. It’s trust in our Savior that grows us up.

There’s no doubt that God’s unfailing love can be trusted. No one has ever overdrawn the Almighty’s account of love. You can depend on the love of God. He won’t fail you when you need Him most. Others may walk away when you lose your way, but you cannot lose the love of God. You may feel deserted in your despair, but God’s loving care is still there for you.

“Love never fails” (1 Corinthians 13:8).

Sometimes it’s hard to see the forest of our heavenly Father’s love for the trees of fear that stare us in the face. This is where we need to pause and trust. Trust that God still loves you even when you represent Him poorly. Trust that He still loves you even though those around you don’t seem to care. Trust that He still loves you in the loss of your job.

Being loved by God is just the beginning. Christians are a conduit for Christ in His cycle of love. We’re His love agents. Your trust in Jesus causes your love to grow to greater heights. His goal is for the fruit of His love to weigh down the branches of your belief. Your fruitful loving life becomes attractive and inviting to others. They want to draw near to the light of the Lord’s love that shines through your soul. They want to be close to your character so they can pluck some of your lovely fruit and partake. God’s love in your life is a beacon of hope. Love is a remedy for rebellion. When the prodigal son came home, his father first loved him. Trust in God’s unfailing love grows our love!

“In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed” (Exodus 15:13).

Why is God’s unfailing love so trustworthy? How does the Spirit want to grow my love of others?

Related Readings
Psalm 33:18-22; Isaiah 54:10; Hosea 10:12; Luke 15:20; Colossians 1:4-6

Boyd Bailey, Two Minutes in the Bible through Psalms: A 90-Day Devotional

Foolish Denial

The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, and their ways are vile.
PSALM 53:1

Fools foolishly deny God. It’s an excuse for loose living without the Lord. It’s the rejection of righteousness. It’s their hope that there is no God. Somehow godless belief justifies godless behavior. Denial of God is a pushback against His principles. To deny God is to deny His law. Denial of God’s law leads to moral and ethical anarchy. There’s no stability in a society where everyone does what’s right in his or her own eyes (Judges 21:25). It’s corruption in the eyes of Christ.

“Corrupt” is how God describes those who deny Him. They’re corrupt and vile. These aren’t just nice people who’ve lost their way. They shake their faithless fist in the face of God and demand that He disappear. This is what they did to Jesus. He came claiming to be the Christ. He was the Messiah for the salvation of mankind. But some men didn’t want God. They were a “god” unto themselves. So they paid Jesus evil for good. They attempted to kill God. But Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection drove the final nail into their corruption. God is not dead.

“I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever!” (Revelation 1:18).

As a follower of Jesus you may feel the pressure from outside forces to deny Him. Don’t allow the persuasion of unprincipled people to force you into faithlessness. Atheism is for the uninformed. How can someone deny the existence of God when our understanding of all knowledge is relatively minimal? An atheist can only “say” in his heart, while Christians can “know” in theirs. We know because the evidence for God is overwhelming. We know because we’ve experienced God. We know because we know Him.

Be there for those who finally figure out that atheism isn’t working for them. A crisis may turn them to Christ. A friend may reveal an authentic faith, and the seeker desires the same. Reading the Bible may bring them to their heavenly Father. Pray for the Holy Spirit to penetrate the deceived heart of an atheist. The reality of God shines through you. Spirit-filled Christians are a compelling case for Christianity. Yes, by grace—love atheists to the Lord!

“God our Savior…wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth” (1 Timothy 2:3-4).

Why is it foolish to deny God’s existence? Who can I love well in spite of their unbelief?

Related Readings
Proverbs 14:16; Isaiah 32:6; Luke 12:20; 2 Corinthians 11:17; 2 Timothy 1:12

Perseverance Pattern

Surely God is my help, the Lord is the one who sustains me.
PSALM 54:4

Our Savior sustains us by His strength. Christ carries us with His compassionate care. Our heavenly Father is forever loving us to Himself and sending us forth into life’s fray by faith. The Lord looks to leverage our life for His longevity. His desire is that we not give in or give up. He’s a God of determination. He expects His children to be the same. A thimble of Christ’s aid is better than heaps of man’s help. It’s in prayer that you receive God’s help to persevere. The Spirit gives peace and a quiet confidence. Christ is our divine champion.

We have no need to fret because our heavenly Father is here to help. Sometimes the pressures at work pour over us like the constant pelting of marble-sized hail. We’re bruised, beat up, and unsure of ourselves. People’s nitpicking makes us feel we’re about to be nibbled to death. Nothing seems to be going right, so we start thinking we need to quit. But persevere—don’t quit before God is done with you. His best is yet to come.

“We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope” (Romans 5:3-4).

God is our help in times of trouble. In Him we trust. When we see Him, we persevere. It’s easy for our eyes to remain riveted on problems. Immediate issues can overwhelm us if we give their influence full access to our attention. But the Lord would rather have us linger with Him. Replace unproductive time of worry with productive time in prayer. When you gaze on God, fears fade away. Little do we care for the defiance of our foes when we have God’s defense.

God’s grace will sustain you. His grace is sufficient for your specific situation. You can move forward by faith. Don’t allow a financial setback to keep you from going to God. He owns everything. He has what you need to make it through a major transition. God is already on your side, so stay by His. You have His mammoth mercy and loving-kindness to draw on in your discouragement. Your Savior, not stuff, is your sustainer. Jesus is always with you!

“You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised” (Hebrews 10:36).

How is God’s help superior to any other? What does Christ offer to sustain me in difficulty?
Related Readings
Psalms 3:5; 146:9; 147:6; Proverbs 18:14-15; Isaiah 50:4-5; Hebrews 11:27

A Friend’s Rejection

If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it…
But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend.
PSALM 55:12-14

The worst kind of rejection may be the rejection of a friend. You expect it from an enemy, but not a friend. It doesn’t make sense that someone you communed with around Christ would come back and crush you with rejection. Rejection integrated with religious pretense is rough. It challenges our trust in people in general, and our faith in God in particular. You don’t know whether to lash back or to languish in disillusionment. A friend’s betrayal is frightening.

A reproach from intimate companions will cut to the heart. They know where we’re vulnerable. They know how to exploit our struggles and take advantage of our goodwill. It’s as if you’ve been emotionally naked with someone, and now feel exposed—unsafe. What happened to the person you once knew? How could you have been so deceived? It may have been a decade of deceit in your marriage vows. It may have been financial fraud over a long period of time. Or a hidden addiction that hijacked your trust and respect. Rejection hurts.

“Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you” (Luke 6:22).

Our Lord Jesus trusted someone to manage the disciples’ money. He was close to Christ in proximity but far away in faith. For Judas, it was all about the cash. It was money that motivated him in the beginning, and money that was his downfall in the end. Money-motivated men may be pleasant on the outside, but they’re full of themselves on the inside. Be careful—get to know someone before you heavily invest. Perhaps in time they can be trusted.

Avoid the temptation to reject those who’ve rejected you. Under the influence of the Holy Spirit, our right response is to forgive their failings, regardless of how hurtful their behavior. Without God’s grace and the accountability of a committed community of believers, we all become deceivers. Rejection by a trusted friend is fiendish and falsehearted. But we’re called to be forgiving and kindhearted. Don’t stoop to their standards. By God’s grace, rise above rejection!

“Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted” (Galatians 6:1).

How does grace handle betrayal? How does Christ’s acceptance help us when we’re rejected by a friend?

Related Readings
Proverbs 2:1-6; John 12:48; Romans 14:1; 15:7; 1 Corinthians 16:11

Purpose Fulfillment

I cry out to God Most High, to God, who vindicates me.
PSALM 57:2

Our gracious God promises to give us wisdom in His ways. He wants us to experience His eternal aim for His glory. The fulfilling of His purpose started when we placed our faith in Jesus. This was our contract with Christ that placed the responsibility of fulfilling His purpose at the feet of our heavenly Father. Our Lord finishes what He begins. Whatsoever the Lord takes in hand, He will accomplish. So we trust the Almighty with the fulfillment of His purpose for our life.

Prayer prepares us to harvest heaven’s purpose for us. We cry out to the Most High because nothing and no one is any higher. God is the divine decision maker. He is our Maker. To understand the purpose of our lives, we can go nowhere else but to the Lord Jesus Christ. We cry out to Christ because He has adopted us. Our heavenly Father defines our purpose; prayer positions us to be led by the Holy Spirit so that our purpose is fulfilled.

“He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 1:6).

Prayer to God is proof of our trust in God. When we send our prayers to heaven, God will send help down from heaven. Trust can become trivial if persistent prayer doesn’t back it up. Prayer brings trust into the reality of God’s promises for our life. Prayer is potent because it aligns us with the ways of Almighty God.

Yes, define your God-given purpose. Use this definition as a filter for decision making. This becomes your accountability to God and others and enables you to say no to other things.

Lean into the Lord to lead you in His plan for your life. Once you establish His purpose for you, leverage it for others. Use your strength of position to help others discover their God-given purpose. Have them list their gifts, skills, passions, and experiences. Pray with them about how God wants to collate their assets for Christ. No season of life is insignificant in the Lord’s eyes. Don’t wish away where you are today. By faith, you can be sure that Christ is currently fulfilling your purpose. Affirm that your goals are God-given, and trust Him with their fulfillment!

“But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son” (Galatians 4:4).

What’s the role of prayer for us in fulfilling God’s plan? How can I adjust my goals to reflect God’s?

Related Readings
1 Chronicles 28:12; Job 5:11-12; Psalms 20:4; 33:11; 2 Corinthians 1:15-18

Poisonous Pride

Their venom is like the venom of a snake, like that of a cobra that has stopped its ears.
PSALM 58:4

Pride is poisonous in its effect. Like a slithering snake, it sneaks up on its prey and delivers deadly venom with a startling and painful bite. Its venom travels quickly to all parts of the body with paralyzing impact. Without the salvation of a properly applied serum, the victim’s life is sadly snuffed out. In a similar way pride looks to strike selfish prey. It can quietly coil in the bushes of a heart in crisis and cause it to lash out. Pride slithers through our selfish desires and ego. It strikes when we don’t get our way. Pride is deadly.

It kills relationships and strikes fear in those in its path. Pride’s insecurity lies in false faith. We cannot be authentically intimate with Jesus and remain secure in ourselves. True communion with Christ transfers our trust to Him. He transforms us into humble and obedient followers. The serum of humility eventually overtakes the poison of pride and makes us rest secure in Christ. Humble thinking softens our heart, subdues our stubbornness, and opens our ears to wise counsel.

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Romans 12:2).

Sadly, a closed mind leads to a joyless heart. But the humble ask, What’s the wise thing to do? What’s best for the enterprise, the team, the family?

Pride is hard to see in the mirror but easy to see in someone else. How can we truly hear from our heavenly Father if we don’t hear from His children? Listening to the Lord requires listening to people. He speaks through the stakeholders in our lives. Our spouse, our parents, our children, and our peers, friends, and acquaintances can all be God’s messengers of mercy. Humility listens with the intent to learn.

Come clean with Christ, with a contrite and teachable heart. There’s no need to fear questions. Even if the questioner is prideful, resist the temptation to defend. Allow a thoughtful and respectful process to prove what’s right. Humility listens intently, understands thoroughly, and responds appropriately. In prayer, we listen to the Lord. In conversation, we listen to people. Avoid the pain of pride before it strikes, but when it does—quickly inject the serum of humility!

“The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty” (Proverbs 27:12).

What prideful reactions cause me and others pain? How can I respond with a humble, teachable heart?

Related Readings
2 Chronicles 7:14; 32:25; Psalm 40:4; Proverbs 3:34; 1 Corinthians 5:1-5

Request for Restoration

You have rejected us, O God, and burst upon us; you have been angry—now restore us!
PSALM 60:1

Restoration means we’re in right relationship with God and others. Restoration with God is the right request, but it happens only when we’re willing to come clean with Christ. We cannot simultaneously be restored by God and rebel against God. It doesn’t work this way in the Lord’s economy of relational wholeness. Restoration follows repentance. When the one running from God finally grows weary, they’re ready for repentance. Obedience positions us for restoration.

Disobedience forms a breach in our beliefs. It causes cracks in an already fragile faith in Christ. Disobedience dismisses doctrine as too restraining. Disobedience declares itself superior to its Savior. It thinks its own plan is better than God’s plan.

Sometimes we’re our own worst enemy. Disobedience is disillusioned and foolish. It forgets to apply simple faith in Christ. When we fail to obey, we open ourselves up to a failure of faith. A fractured faith needs restoration by God.

“When you…return to the LORD your God and obey him…then the LORD your God will restore your fortunes” (Deuteronomy 30:2-3).

Obedience energizes, but a state of disobedience is fatiguing. Our soul becomes sluggish under the weight of going our own way. Disobedience is like swimming upstream in a raging river. It’s like fighting against the wicked undertow of an ocean’s crosscurrent. Life isn’t designed to be lived in defiance to the will of the Lord. We’re wired to walk with Him, not ignore Him or run away from Him. Turn down the heat of hate and become restored.

Forgive the sin and smile once again. You’ve probably been wronged, and you may not totally understand the extent of your hurt, so ask God to reveal how you hurt and where you need forgiveness. Start by asking God to forgive you, so you in turn can forgive others. It’s lonely without the Lord’s presence, wisdom, and blessing. Come back to Him for relational restoration.
Relish His restoration. Live to linger under the Lord’s influence. Those restored are not bored.

“Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me” (Psalm 51:12).

How can I express joy for the Lord’s salvation? What does it mean for God to restore a willing spirit in me and to sustain me?

Related Readings
Psalm 41:3; Isaiah 57:18-19; Lamentations 5:21; Galatians 6:1; 1 Peter 5:10

Rich Affection

Though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
PSALM 62:10

Money is a lover who romances us regularly. It seduces our emotions. It promises security though its outcome is uncertain. It promises satisfaction, but it’s never content. It promises hope, but real hope is found in seeking first God’s kingdom. It promises worldly wealth, but true riches belong to a growing relationship with Jesus. It promises a non-compete with Christ, but it’s actually the number one competitor to our communion with Christ. It’s a selfish lover.

Beware of the raw deal riches offer. Don’t become seduced by the sirens of power and pride. We were saved by grace to get us to heaven, and we depend on grace to daily get us to God. We may have unique issues and opportunities due to having extra stuff. But an affection for riches can lead us to overindulge ourselves. Our loyalty can subtly shift from loving the Lord to loving stuff. So make sure extra things lead you into a deeper love relationship with the Giver—not the gifts. Jesus is very jealous.

“Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs” (1 Timothy 6:10).

Wealth without a plan is irresponsible. A prayerful plan relegates money to a place of submission to God’s ways. Begin engaging in a Bible study about money, and learn your role as a steward of God’s stuff. Consider hiring a financial planner who can hold you accountable to stay fiscally pure to a kingdom paradigm of planning. Predetermine to be a predictable percentage giver. The Bible teaches the principle of steady plodding (Proverbs 21:5). Spontaneous giving is limited—mature giving has a guaranteed eternal return on investment.

Lead others to love the Lord instead of wealth. Be a role model to your children and peers. Trust God, not your wealth. Riches have never been true to those who trusted in them. They are themselves transient things and deserve our transient thoughts. Cleave to Christ, not to alluring riches that entangle and complicate your life. Jesus is the lover of your soul; place all your affection on Him and not on anything that will let you down. Don’t fall in love with that which perishes, but with the One who keeps you from perishing. God is our rich affection!

“Set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things” (Colossians 3:1-2).

How can I grow my affection for Christ over cash? Why does my generosity dull my greed?
Related Readings
Proverbs 23:5; Ecclesiastes 5:10; Matthew 6:24,33; Luke 16:11

Earnest Seeker

You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you, I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you.
PSALM 63:1

God is ours because we are His. He’s our personal God. He wants us to approach Him and address Him as “my God.” This is what children do with their parents; they speak of “my mom” and “my dad.” Parents are honored to be personally addressed by a loving and grateful child. This is how Christians are to approach their heavenly Father. We possess God because He possesses us. Possession breeds desire. Thus, we seek the Lord earnestly early in the day.

Earnest seekers of their Savior can’t wait to be with Jesus. Early in the morning they want to encounter the love of God. Before the grassy dew is dried up from the sun’s heat, they want to be lifted up by the warm love of the Lord. He removes any residue of worry from our soul. Like the chill of the morning, He takes away any fears that may have cooled our faith. Morning time with our Master is manna from heaven. God provides soul food for His children.

“Each morning everyone gathered as much [manna] as they needed, and when the sun grew hot, it melted away” (Exodus 16:21).

You may discover your weary soul is in a worrisome place. But weariness makes the presence of God more desirable. We become desperate for God when the fatigue of life parches our thirsty souls. When outward comforts are absent, we can press on as we walk with the inward serenity of our Savior Jesus. You may feel totally alone right now, because no one seems to understand. You feel under-appreciated. Learn how to love when you’re not being loved. Learn how to serve when you’re not being served. We earnestly seek God so we have energy to love others.

Earnest seekers know what to do when they find their heavenly Father. They rest. They reflect. They enjoy. They allow Him to rejuvenate their sickly soul. As you seek Him, you will find Him. When you find Him, allow Him to be your Father. Trust Him to love you as only He can. Trust Him to correct you as only He can. Trust Him to forgive you as only He can. Trust Him to lead you as only He can. Earnestly seek God, because He earnestly cares. Seekers enjoy satisfaction!

“If…you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul” (Deuteronomy 4:29).

How does the Lord want me to earnestly seek Him? What are the outcomes of coming to Christ?

Related Readings
Psalms 10:4; 24:6; Amos 5:14; Acts 17:27; Hebrews 11:6

Ponder and Proclaim

All people will fear; they will proclaim the works of God and ponder what he has done.
PSALM 64:9

When we ponder God’s works, we’re compelled to proclaim them. His works are majestic because they call out praise to Him. God’s works are displayed in the wonder of His creation. His signature is the soft, pure cloud, etched across the backdrop of a brilliant blue sky. His creativity cuts across all creation with unique varieties of plants and animals. However, His defining work is you. He created you for Himself—for His glory. You’re an eternal emissary. You are your Father’s child.

Therefore we ponder His work in us, which only begins at salvation. “He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 1:6). Since our conversion to Christ, God has been at work in us. His work is to conform us into the likeness of His Son Jesus (Romans 8:29). We don’t arrive until we get to heaven. Salvation is not an end in itself. God’s profound and ongoing work is in and through us.

“You make me glad by your deeds, LORD; I sing for joy at what your hands have done” (Psalm 92:4).

You’re redeemed and forgiven by the grace of God (Ephesians 1:7). You’re a new creation in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). You’re God’s workmanship, created for good works (Ephesians 2:10). You’re accepted by Christ (Romans 15:7). In Christ Jesus you have wisdom (1 Corinthians 1:30). You’re joined to the Lord and are one spirit with Him (1 Corinthians 6:17). You’re made complete in Christ (Colossians 2:10). Christ is your life (Colossians 3:4)!

After we ponder the work of God around us, in us, and through us, we’re compelled to proclaim His faithfulness. Grateful mouths cannot keep shut. We thank Him quietly with a bowed head over meals. We announce His goodness by exercising good deeds for others. We exclaim obedience and loyalty to Him when we die daily to our own selfish desires and submit to His. The fear and love of God move us to ponder and proclaim God’s grace. Proclaim the Lord with your life, and use words to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ!

“They tell of the power of your awesome works—and I will proclaim your great deeds” (Psalm 145:6).

What works of God can I ponder in gratitude? What works of God will I boldly proclaim?

Related Readings
Psalms 66:5; 111:2; John 6:28; 1 Corinthians 12:6; Philippians 2:13

Healthy Environments

You care for the land and water it; you enrich it abundantly.
The streams of God are filled with water to provide the people with grain, for so you have ordained it.
PSALM 65:9

God created and cares for the earth. He softens the clouds and frees them to fill rivers with rain. The earth is the Lord’s. Its fullness is for His glory. We sometimes harm the environment with senseless and shortsighted actions like littering, industrial waste, and horrific oil spills. Yet responsible followers of Jesus respect His natural resources. Environmental controls are right because they reflect wise stewardship of God’s stuff. We have dominion over God’s environment (Genesis 1:27-30) and so control our earthly environment.

In a similar way, law-abiding citizens in a free country control the environment in which they live. For example, who you spend time with determines who you become. “Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character” (1 Corinthians 15:33). You value what those closest to you value. If they model careless spending then you may soon discover yourself deep in debt. Don’t take marriage advice from those who’ve had multiple marriages but didn’t learn from their mistakes. Instead, value marriage environments of wisdom, love, fear of God, stability, and security.

“Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put into practice” (Philippians 4:9).

God blesses environments that encourage engagement with Him. He’s our ultimate keeper of environmental controls. Trust Him to lead you to the places that value what He values. Look for a spouse who loves Jesus more than he or she loves you. Pray for your spouse as you attend a Bible study group, serve in the church, or travel on mission trips. You can take the lead by creating environments of encouragement. Ask God to show you how to love those in your life.

Control your environment by creating your environment. The Holy Spirit working through you creates compelling places that invite others to Christ. The best environment is Christ-centric. Look therefore to the Lord. Trust Him. Expose yourself to healthy environments. Care about environmental controls. And, by God’s grace, create environments that honor Christ!

“Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm” (Proverbs 13:20).

What changes do I need to make in the environments where I live, work, and play?

Related Readings
2 Chronicles 10:8; Proverbs 22:4-5; Acts 2:42; Hebrews 10:25

Sin Silences Prayer

If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.
PSALM 66:18

Sin is a silencer that shoots down prayer. Our unconfessed sin cancels communion with Christ. It shatters the soul’s longing for alignment with the Almighty. Sin over-promises and under-delivers. It promises pleasure, but its ultimate outcome is hollow. It promises freedom but leaves you in bondage. It promises privileges but takes them away.

Sin is suicide to your prayer life. Sin and your Savior cannot coexist. Sin is anti-Christ. We cannot harbor sin in our hearts and expect God in heaven to hear our prayers.

Sin confuses and complicates matters. Where there’s confusion, look for unconfessed sin. We cannot hear God because sin has deafened our heart. The eardrums of our soul will burst under the pressure of unconfessed sin.

Sin also blocks the door of obedience. As it did with Cain, sin crouches at the door (Genesis 4:7) and hinders our way. Check your motives for coming to Christ in prayer. Make sure it’s for His glory, not your own.

“When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures” (James 4:3).

Marriage is particularly fertile ground for unconfessed sin to fester. Be on the lookout for sins that build barriers to intimacy with your spouse. It happens quickly in the rush to discipline children, or in the throes of making a living. We can easily become disconnected. This is why communication is critical in understanding which sins to confess and why. Husbands who take this lightly risk their prayers being unanswered. Humility leads to unhindered prayers.

Be assured the Lord listens and responds to prayers from a pure heart. He invites intimacy. He revels in restoring you into right relationship with Himself. His Spirit thrives in an unsoiled heart. Therefore prepare yourself with confession of sin before you ask anything of your Savior. Ask first for forgiveness from God and man, then go to God in prayerful petition. A pure heart is a prerequisite for supplications to your Savior. Purity positions you for intimate prayer.

“Husbands…be considerate as you live with your wives…so that nothing will hinder your prayers” (1 Peter 3:7).

What sin may be hindering my prayer life? Whose forgiveness do I need to seek?

Related Readings
Deuteronomy 1:45; 1 Samuel 8:18; Matthew 5:23-24; Colossians 3:19

God’s Blessing Released

May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine on us—so that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations.
PSALM 67:1-2

The mercy and grace of God govern His blessings. We shouldn’t ask for the blessing of God until we receive forgiveness from God. We don’t request the peace of God until we’ve made peace with God. We aren’t invited onto the journey of God’s blessing until we’ve first been born again.

Being born again gives us direct access to the beautiful blessings of our heavenly Father. He releases His blessing so we can be a blessing to all nations. We’re a pass-through for blessings from God. Christ transforms us into an instrument of His blessing.

God blesses us to be a blessing to others. God wants to unleash His bountiful blessing—locally, regionally, nationally, and globally—through His children. If we hang on to His blessing just for ourselves, we risk losing it. The way we retain the blessing of the Lord is by giving it away. He expects His people to propagate His principles and precepts to all nations. Christ’s blessing belongs in every tribe and tongue who trust Him.

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19).

Experiencing and imparting God’s blessing will require uncommon faith. This elevated trust sees the face of God. His face shines on His faithful servants. It’s a light that leads you to walk in the ways of your Lord. Common faith can see the deeds of God all around, but it’s uncommon faith that experiences God. Uncommon faith sees the face of your heavenly Father, interprets His ways, discerns His plans, and in turn blesses others. We bless others so they’ll enter into a relationship with the Blesser.

God’s vast harvest is ready for the Lord’s laborers; venture into it! Don’t sit still waiting for the world to come to you. Go out by faith and overcome your fears. Trust God to keep you safe and healthy. Trust God to use you for His glory. You may go overseas to be a blessing, but you’ll return home blessed. The revelation of Christ through your life may start a revolution of righteousness. Yes, be blessed to be a blessing!

“The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace” (Numbers 6:24-26).

How has God blessed me over my lifetime? What’s the purpose of Christ’s blessings in my life?

Related Readings
Genesis 28:3; Deuteronomy 28:3-6; Psalms 28:9; 128:5; John 4:35

Prodigal Fathers

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.
PSALM 68:5

Prodigal fathers penetrate our society like rusty nails through a soft shoe. They’re painful and poisonous. Pride drives them into irrational thinking and erratic behavior. Why do some men run away from their responsibilities as husband and dad? Could it be selfishness? No fear of God? No regard for right and wrong? Rebellion against the Almighty jettisons a person’s faith. It may be a quiet, passive-aggressive rebellion, or it may be a boisterous rebellion. Foolish is the man who pursues fun over faith and family.

A prodigal wants the benefits of being an adult with the responsibility of a child. Some people spend a lifetime making excuses for not maturing. Why? It may be a hurt that has never healed. Wounded men wound others. Wounds without the balm of belief in God’s grace never go away. Wounds build walls in relationships. Prodigal fathers are also angry. Their unresolved and conflicting emotions make them mad. It’s in his desert of desperation that a man takes flight from his faith. Don’t allow your desert to become a wilderness by deserting God.

“He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents” (Malachi 4:6).

If you’re the recipient of a prodigal father’s irresponsible actions, you have hope. You have a heavenly Father who cannot be tempted by evil (James 1:13). Your heavenly Father is there to love you and lead you into a deeper love relationship. Use this time of rejection to be accepted in the Beloved (Ephesians 1:6 KJV). Almighty God is never AWOL in His love relationship with you. Not only is He with you, He wants to serve you. Love? You have it. Wisdom? It’s yours. Encouragement? Every day!

Pray about pursuing your prodigal father. Your presence reminds him of what God has for him. Christ in your life convicts him of who he needs to be, and what he needs to do. Inside your prodigal father is a scared and wounded animal in need of a gentle touch and healing. It’s the Holy Spirit’s work, through you and other believers, that will bring him to his knees. Keep the relationship robust for when he returns home. Your forgiveness fuels his faith!

“Forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins” (Mark 11:25).

Why is God’s forgiveness based on me forgiving others? How can I express my forgiveness to my father?

Related Readings
Genesis 50:17; Exodus 22:22; Luke 1:17; 23:34; Titus 1:4; 1 John 5:1

Out of Control

Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold.
PSALM 69:1-2

Like Jesus, we sometimes cry out to God, especially if we feel things are out of control. We cry out to Christ because we cannot get over our need for Him. We need to know He’s in control. We need to know that what we’re experiencing is being allowed by the Almighty. He knows what you’re going through; He can be trusted to take care of you. God is in control. He’s your hope, and He’s your help.

It’s the sinking feeling caused by oppressive circumstances that brings us the most consternation. Feeling totally out of control sends waves of fear over our faith. We sense we’re drowning in despair. We gasp for God. In water we might swim, but in the mud and mire of being out of control, we seem helpless. We sink as if in quicksand. The more we struggle, the faster and deeper we descend.
Instead, we’re to give our struggles over to our Savior Jesus. Be still so He can lift you up. Like Peter as he was sinking in the storm, we can cry out in our fears.

“Lord, save me” (Matthew 14:30).

Your fervent prayers may have caused you to become hoarse from talking to heaven. Conversing with Christ has made your faith raw. Sometimes your eyes of faith fail you. They wander off your Lord to fixate on people and problems. Your eyes of faith fail when you lose focus on your heavenly Father.

In the world you have trouble; in Jesus you have peace (John 16:33). In the world you have discomfort; in Jesus you have comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3-6). In the world you have darkness; in Jesus you have light (John 9:5). In the world you have insecurity; Jesus makes you secure (1 John 5:13). In the world you have despair; Jesus brings hope (1 Peter 1:3). In the world you’re defeated; in Jesus you’ve overcome (1 John 5:4-5). Sink in sin, or swim with Him!

“During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission” (Hebrews 5:7).

Where do my circumstances seem out of control? How can I more fully trust that Christ’s hand governs these and all things?

Related Readings
Nehemiah 9:11; Psalm 32:6; Isaiah 43:2; Jonah 2:5; Luke 12:28

Hurry, God

But as for me, I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God.
You are my help and my deliverer; LORD, do not delay.
PSALM 70:5

Adversity invites a sense of urgency. We’re urgent in our need for God. We’re urgent for reassurance of God’s presence and relief from our stressful situation. We’re urgent for help from heaven. In our prayers we cry out to Christ. We plead with Him to take away our pain. This is the nature of the needy. We need God. So out of our pain, our prayers shout for something from our Savior. We need to know He’s near—we need to know now. We pray, “Lord, do not delay.”

In poverty of spirit we see our greatest need for God. In our weakness we’re most teachable toward God’s wisdom. Our spiritual eyes are clearly focused on our utter dependence on Christ. In God’s economy, our poverty becomes our wealth (Revelation 2:9) and our weakness becomes our strength (Hebrews 11:34).

“That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Corinthians 12:10).

However, what took years to incur may take years to dig out of. A crisis is Christ’s opportunity to share with you His “true riches” (Luke 16:11). He’ll make haste to walk with you through your mess. His presence is your best prescription during times of illness. Your heavenly Father is your provider. His principles work. In sickness, use this opportunity of humility to seek others who are healthy. Let them mentor you through their experience.

Maintain a sense of urgency for the Lord at all times. In reality, we’re always in desperate need of Him. Dependence on God isn’t conditional on a crisis. Our requirement for walking with Jesus is our ability to breathe. Maintain motivation for your Master without having to experience pain first. Before pain comes, we can still fervently pray and seek Him. The good times require God as much as the bad times. Be quick to call on Him while things are still calm. Prayerful preparation averts panic in a future crisis. Ask Christ to come quickly to you.

How can I increase the intensity of my dependence on Christ?

Related Readings
Psalm 141:1; Acts 3:19; 1 Corinthians 1:27; Revelation 1:8; 22:20

Last edited:
Womb to Tomb

From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. I will ever praise you…
Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God.
PSALM 71:6,18

From our mother’s womb to our final tomb, we have opportunities to trust God. As an infant we’re unaware of our 100 percent dependence on Him, but we grow to understand this over time. It began making sense when we prayed as a child, “God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food.” There was a childlike trust that had no issue with the vastness of God’s power and influence. He was and is our Savior from our sins. Christ is our confidence.

Once we graduate from those early days of faith exploration, we’re commanded to pass on to our progeny the ways of God. As parents, we’re to bring up our children in the “training and instruction of the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4). Mom and Dad are to guide and teach their children. It’s sobering to think we represent the Lord to our little ones. This is why we pray together as parents for our sons and daughters. Remembering God as a young person can bring fulfillment as an older person.

“Remember your Creator in the days of your youth” (Ecclesiastes 12:1).

Youth well spent is a comfort in old age. You have joyful reflection. There are limited regrets when you go with God. Yes, growing old possesses its own set of unique challenges. The beauty of your youth begins to bow to the aging process. Your body becomes a burden to your mind. However, don’t allow declining eyesight to keep you from seeing God. The need for glasses, surgery, or doctors is what happens with these temporary tents we live within.

Our strength decays, we walk slower, but Christ is our strength—and His pace is perfect. Our mature mind begins to forget names and places. It becomes hard to recollect where we’ve been. But it’s important that we age well by exchanging the temporal with the eternal. We substitute stubbornness with sensitivity. We replace peevishness with patience. We exchange fear for faith. Instead of lamenting our infirmities, we praise God for the gift of another day. We leverage our gray hair for God. Teach others to trust Him from the womb to the tomb.

“Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you” (Isaiah 46:4).

What does it look like to have childlike trust? When the time comes, how can I leverage my gray hair for God?

Related Readings
Psalms 18:35; 119:117; Ecclesiastes 11:8; 2 Timothy 1:5; 2:22

Children of the Needy

May he defend the afflicted among the people and save the children of the needy.
PSALM 72:4

The children of the needy are in need, though often their needs sit in somber silence until they cry out for attention. There’s nothing that tugs more at the heart than a deprived little one. They didn’t choose their pitiful plight any more than the progeny of the privileged chose theirs.

It could be the parents of the needy are just getting by. Or perhaps a single parent is struggling in survival mode. Regardless, our loving Lord defends the afflicted and saves the children of the needy.

Sometimes divorce creates needy children. They’re conflicted between Mom and Dad. What began as a heavenly home of support has become a hellish one of selfishness. Neediness engulfs offspring caught in the crossfire of a caustic divorce. Broken marriages break the hearts of children. They suffer the most, though they’re the least responsible for the shattered vows. While Mom and Dad try to get their act together, innocent children look to get their needs met. They may find love in the right places, like church and Christian homes, or they may look elsewhere.

“I will contend with those who contend with you, and your children I will save” (Isaiah 49:25).

The children of the needy cannot be ignored. Jesus modeled this. “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these” (Matthew 19:14). Needy children cannot be neglected. Maybe we’re blessed with healthy children, so we can reach out to unhealthy ones. Is there a teenager in your life who’s currently disconnected from both parents? He or she needs a safe environment of liberating love. Rebellion subsides under a roof of warm relationships. Your home is a haven of hospitality for the needy; invite them in!

Look for ways to love children of the needy. Invest in their education. Take them to church so they can hear the love of Jesus and be loved. Encourage laughter and comfort their tears. Let them be children, so they can become children. Children who lose trust in adults have difficulty trusting Christ—so stay trustworthy. Be a bridge for their beliefs.

Expose your own children to the needy so they’ll develop gratitude and a heart for service. Follow Christ’s example by looking for a child to love, to defend, and to rescue from unrighteousness.

“Pharaoh’s daughter…named him Moses, saying, ‘I drew him out of the water’ ” (Exodus 2:10).

What needy child needs my attention and help? How can I teach my child to serve the needy?

Related Readings
Job 24:3-11; Ecclesiastes 4:13-14; Matthew 18:3; Mark 9:37

Perplexed but Poised

Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold.
PSALM 73:1-2

God can be perplexing. Because His ways are so much larger in scope, our lack of understanding can push us to the verge of losing hope. We don’t understand why our good God isn’t giving immediate relief to our pain or to the suffering we see others experiencing.
When we’re uncertain, that’s the time to confess our need for Christ. Purity of heart paves the way during perplexing times. We need the Lord most when our faith is least. Purity facilitates clarity. We keep our soul poised in prayer.

Life can be perplexing. Why did your friend say one thing and do another? Why do you always seem to face financial pressure? Why are your parents consumed with themselves? Why are your teenagers disengaged and distant? Why does work seem like a dead-end road? Nagging questions tug at your heart and cause you to doubt. Allow your doubts to drive you toward God, not away from Him. It’s in your perplexity that you pray to your perfect God for His will to be done. His integrity is intact. He’s your good and gracious Savior.

“We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair” (2 Corinthians 4:8).

Perplexity is not sin. Just because you’re perplexed with something outside your control doesn’t mean you’re at fault. But it’s a warning to watch out for temptation. “Be careful that you don’t fall!” (1 Corinthians 10:12). Guard your thoughts. You cannot prevent a bird from flying over your head, but you can keep him from making a nest in your hair. Take every thought captive in obedience to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

Saturate your mind with truth so it flushes out the fear and lies that torment your trust in the Lord. Perplexity is part of your walk with Jesus. Stay poised by faith. Don’t allow your bewilderment to become spiritual vertigo. Keep your balance by believing. Your Savior keeps you from slipping, your heavenly Father keeps you from falling, and the Holy Spirit supports you. Perplexity is your opportunity to joyfully trust and obey.

“We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him” (Romans 8:28).

How can I keep my soul poised during perplexing times? Why is my purity of heart important?

Related Readings
Daniel 4:19; Psalm 40:2; Acts 2:12; Galatians 4:18-20

Feeling Rejected

O God, why have you rejected us forever?
Why does your anger smolder against the sheep of your pasture?
PSALM 74:1

As recipients of God’s righteous anger we may feel rejected, even though His anger is directed toward our disobedience, not us. He still loves us as His children when we drift from His best. Sometimes in our fear or frivolity we flee from His influence. Or more subtly and subconsciously, we may daily drift in the wrong direction. This is terrible terrain because it’s void of the blessing of God. Venturing away from the Almighty is unwise. Sheep need their shepherd.

Jesus is the Shepherd of your soul. He’s the “great Shepherd” (Hebrews 13:20). Good shepherds see to it that their sheep are properly fed, watered, and protected from the elements. They care for them, because they care. When a sheep strays from the flock, it startles the shepherd into action. Once they’re found, there’s relief, but not without anger for their having strayed. Anger over self-inflicted harm comes from love. God’s wrath is real. His anger is for our protection.

“You are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. Therefore you did not desert them” (Nehemiah 9:17).

The anger of loved ones can be seen as evidence of something gone wrong. Don’t write off the emotional outburst of another as someone who has no self-control. Good anger is a safety valve for the soul. Be grateful when those who love you confront you. Your pride will take offense, but your humility will be teachable. Listen to criticism and see it as your accountability. Develop the heart of a child, the mind of a student, and the hide of a rhinoceros. Constructive anger respects the person but rejects bad behavior.

Be grateful that God gets mad. It’s wise to fear His reaction to our unwise actions. Flee from every foolish habit; if you have to sneak around to do it, that should tell you something. Can you imagine where we might be if our fear of God didn’t throttle back our bad behavior? See God’s anger from the lens of love; see its warm acceptance of you, its cold rejection of sinful attitudes and actions. See righteous indignation as a wake-up call from Christ!

“So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables” (John 2:15).

By God’s grace, how can I receive another’s anger and become better, not defensive?

Related Readings
Hosea 14:4; Joel 2:13; Jonah 4:2; Ephesians 4:26; James 1:20

Back
Top Bottom