Two Minutes in the Bible through Psalms

Voice of God

The voice of the LORD is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the LORD thunders over the mighty waters.
PSALM 29:3

God’s voice hasn’t vanished. He hasn’t lost His voice because of overuse. His vocal cords are strong, not strained. God doesn’t cough or become congested. His voice is clear and intelligible. His voice is all around us; listen and be in awe. Thunder and lightning display His glory in the heavens. We hear His thunder and gaze up in fear and amazement. His voice reminds us of His glory. It’s the Lord’s majestic presence that thunders from above.

The glory of God governs the heavens. He’s the source of light, heat, cold, and darkness. God is the creator and sustainer of earth. His creation continues because He continues to create. Just as humans are an ongoing creation of the Lord’s, so earth is the Lord’s ongoing creation. He resides in eternity but still engages with earth. His glory has not been gutted but rather validated by scientific explanation. Christ can be seen in all corners of His creation. His voice is clear.

“God’s voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding” (Job 37:5).

The power of His voice is applied in our life. His voice can be stern in discipline or tender in grace. The powerful voice of Jesus called Lazarus back from the dead, and on the cross He interceded to His heavenly Father for forgiveness on behalf of His enemies. Use your voice to pray for people who are dead in their sin and in need of a Savior. Lift up your voice on behalf of others who’ve offended or hurt you. God hears you; you’re not a lone voice for the Lord.

God’s voice is majestic and regal. He’s enthroned above all His creation. Jesus is our King of kings and Lord of lords. When He speaks, we listen. His words matter most. The Bible is the wisdom of His words in written form. His voice speaks through the pages of Scripture. Take what He tells us there and obediently apply it to your life. Tell others what Christ tells you. Those of us who hear the voice of God cannot keep quiet. Be a clean conduit for His voice to speak!

“Now, Lord…enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness” (Acts 4:29).

What is the Spirit saying to my soul? How can I distinguish God’s voice from competing voices?

Related Readings
Psalm 18:13; Jeremiah 6:10; Philippians 1:14; 1 Thessalonians 4:16

Boyd Bailey, Two Minutes in the Bible through Psalms: A 90-Day Devotional

Secure, Not Shaken

When I felt secure, I said, “I will never be shaken.”
LORD, when you favored me, you made my royal mountain stand firm; but when you hid your face, I was dismayed.
PSALM 30:6

Security rests in our Savior, not in our stuff. Stuff comes and goes—it’s unreliable. But when Christ comes to dwell in our hearts, He remains. Because He is secure, we are secure. But we must beware lest we believe security resides anywhere other than the Lord. Our security isn’t based on feelings, but faith. If our security depends on feeling secure—we’ll be shaken by circumstances. But if our security rests on faith in Christ—no situation can shake us.

If our confidence is based on pleasant circumstances, our security is at risk. Our life becomes a rollercoaster of reactionary responses. If we feel good, we’re secure; if we feel bad, we’re insecure. If people like us, we’re secure; if they don’t, we’re insecure. If we have money, we’re secure; if not, we’re insecure. If we’re healthy, we’re secure; if we’re unhealthy, we’re insecure. We eventually grow weary and wither under the whiplash of insecure living.

“Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken” (Psalm 62:2).

Don’t place your security in success or failure. The fumes of success can smother your faith as fast as failure can extinguish your hope. The security we find in Jesus never changes. He is our rock and our refuge. He never moves. He’s not shaken. Critics couldn’t rattle Christ with their mockery and viciousness. His suffering only displayed more prominently His secure and pure behavior. Resurrection hope warmed His heart with calm assurance.

Left to our own efforts, we’re anxious people. Whenever self seeks assurance outside of Christ, it becomes uncertain. The search for security results in insecurity when we marginalize our Master. Relationships come and go, but our relationship with Jesus remains intact forever. Doubt arises when we add anything to our faith in Christ. Therefore, develop your fidelity of faith. You’re secure because your security rests on the eternal. Shun earth’s securities and embrace heaven’s. Faith in Jesus needs no outside help. By God’s grace and love, the faithful are secure, not shaken!

“Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken” (Isaiah 54:10).

What does it mean to be secure in Christ? How can I keep success from shaking my faith?

Related Readings
Job 11:18; Psalm 112:7-8; Hebrews 6:19-20; 12:28; 2 Peter 3:17-18

Personal God

But I trust in you, LORD; I say, “You are my God.”
PSALM 31:14

God is accessible and personal to those who call on His name by faith. He’s not aloof, but engaging. God governs the universe while also taking time for those who come to Him. Trust in Him is a ticket to a personal relationship with Him. Trust is a bridge of belief that spans the canyon of a Christless life. It’s when we trust Him that we’re positioned to know Him. Relationship without trust is incapable of intimacy. When we know Him, we trust Him.

Adversity and challenges great or small compete with our trust in God. When it seems like our brand of Christianity isn’t working, we’re tempted to give up. We want to rebrand God to fit our selfishness. Since He’s personal, we expect Him to bend toward our immature behavior. But we cannot give up on God. Christians will let us down, but not Jesus. Christ’s care is personal and persevering. He’s not going anywhere. We can laugh with the Lord as well as cry with Him.

“The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer” (Psalm 6:9).

He is “my God” in the sense that He’s my heavenly Father and I’m under His care and correction. In a similar way, others on earth serve as our mayor, governor, or president, and we’re under their authority; we submit to the laws of the land for the sake of the whole. And because God is our ultimate authority, we submit to Him. Our rights are relegated to what God says is right. He is personal.

Avoid mistrust, and embrace trust in the Lord. Doubt leads to death and trust leads to life. God is personal and trustworthy. Our personal prayers are directly to Him. When you don’t know what to pray, ask Him to align your heart with His so your desires become His desires. Intimacy with the Almighty leads to alignment with the Almighty. God gives us easy access so we can understand and apply His principles. He is personal for His purposes. So don’t shun seeking your Savior. He can be trusted. He’s your personal heavenly Father, for His glory!

“Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God” (Ruth 1:16).

What does the Lord’s personal care look like for my life? How can I grow deeper in relationship with Jesus?

Related Readings
2 Samuel 22:3; 1 Kings 5:4; Psalm 30:2; Matthew 27:46

Blessings of Forgiveness

Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
PSALM 32:1

Forgiveness is full of blessings. The blessing of guilt’s removal is a fruit of forgiveness. The peace of being in a right relationship with God and people is facilitated by forgiveness. The freedom to follow God’s will, passionately and unashamedly, is fueled by daily forgiveness. Forgiveness frees the soul and enlightens the mind. It’s a state of experiencing God’s grace and mercy. Forgiveness takes away the stain of selfishness and dyes it with service. Sin is forgiven.

Foolish and naive are those who think they can continually keep God’s law without the pardon of God’s grace. Forgiveness is a daily requirement for those who want to keep short accounts with their Savior, family, and friends. Unless we repent of our sin from a contrite heart, there’s no remission. Jesus gave His life so He could give us life. Jesus sweat blood so we could have sweet forgiveness. John, the forerunner of Jesus, taught repentance and forgiveness of sin.

“The word of God came to John…He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins” (Luke 3:3).

The Bible describes a trinity of sin for the unforgiven. In our own strength our disobedience is labeled as transgression, sin, and iniquity. But the Trinity in heaven trumps the trilogy of sin. The Holy Spirit convicts us of sin and draws us into the love of our heavenly Father. His love leads us to Jesus, who gave His life on the cross to pay the penalty for our sin. We confess to Christ our need for His gracious forgiveness. In Christ we’re free. Mercy comes to the man who repents.

Be a blessing by forgiving the unforgiven. We’re forgiven by God so that we can forgive. Grace forgives those who don’t deserve forgiveness. Unconditional forgiveness is freeing. Indeed, one reason you forgive others is for your own sake. Otherwise, unforgiving relationships cause a root of bitterness deep in your heart, robbing you of joy. Forgiveness prays for others to be healed, and in the process, you are healed. Forgiveness prayers prosper.

Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy” (Proverbs 28:13).

What sin do I need to confess and renounce? Who do I need to gladly forgive?

Related Readings
2 Samuel 12:13; Job 31:33; Psalm 31:2-5; Daniel 4:27; 1 John 1:9

Boyd Bailey, Two Minutes in the BibleTM through Psalms: A 90-Day Devotional

Deliverance from Fear

I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.
PSALM 34:4

Prayer positions us to receive the peace of God. It’s when we seek Him that we see Him. It’s when we see Him that we’re secure. As we travel across the choppy sea of life circumstances, we can become dizzy if we look down at the turbulent water. But if we keep our eyes fixed ahead on a stable object, we remain secure and feel safe. Jesus is our immovable object of belief. He replaces our furrowed brow of fear with a calm face of faith. The Lord hears our prayers.

No one has ever been sorry for seeking the Lord. It takes time and effort, but it’s your best investment. Process your problems with prayer and you’ll be the most productive. You cannot come to the best solutions in your own strength. The fruit that comes from replacing fear with faith is unlimited. We can rest assured as the Almighty leads us down a new path. He delights in determining a better way for you. Prayer opens the doors of God’s plans and possibilities.

“‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future’” (Jeremiah 29:11).

This next season of your life is the Lord’s reward for your faithfulness all these years. You’ve sought Him unashamedly and obediently. Money was never your motive. Pride hasn’t prodded you. Fame hasn’t been your forte. You’ve sought Him with your unselfish service. You’ve sought Him with your humble obedience. You’ve sought Him by ministering to the needs of others. There’s no safer, more secure place to be than in the process of seeking Him.

God expects to hear from you before you can expect to hear from Him. If you restrain prayer, He may refrain from grace and mercy. The more you think upon the Lord and the less you think of yourself, the better off you become. Seek Him and lose yourself, and you’ll discover the best way. There’s no need to fear the breaking off of a relationship. The Spirit is in the business of mending broken hearts. Seek Him, and He’ll deliver you from your fears. Faith fossilizes fears!

“By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible” (Hebrews 11:27).

What fear do I need to trust the Lord to deliver me through? Why is God’s peace perfect?

Related Readings
Job 8:7; Psalm 40:5; Isaiah 55:12; Zechariah 8:15; John 12:42

Unanswered Prayer

When my prayers returned to me unanswered, I went about mourning as though for my friend or brother.
I bowed my head in grief as though weeping for my mother.
PSALM 35:13-14

Sometimes God is silent, even when His children cry out for answers. The unfair becomes a test of faith that grows the prayer life of those who stay persistent with the Lord. No, He’s not too busy answering the billion other prayers bombarding heaven, but He does want an unfeigned faith in His followers. God is not a cosmic Google waiting to give unlimited information to all requests. Too much data can break a spirit, puff up a mind, or confuse a heart.

Our heavenly Father knows what’s best regarding unanswered prayers. We may not be ready to receive what we want or think we need. We seem stuck in a stage of suffering because we’re learning the depths of dependence on God. We feel we’re dog-paddling in a waiting phase because our patience needs to progress into perseverance. Our aloneness can suffocate us, but we breathe better spiritually in a close walk with Christ. Unanswered prayers produce prayer.

“Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up” (Luke 18:1).

Jesus says that even an unjust judge can be convinced of the right thing to do, but our heavenly Father doesn’t have to be convinced of good actions. He is all good, and He knows what’s best for His children. He wants us to be convinced of the next right thing.
A prolonged prayer process creates new convictions we cherish and cling to for comfort. For example, through prayer the Spirit may reveal anger in a pocket of your heart that He replaces with forgiveness. Unanswered prayer pushes us into unsearched places needing soul care. Humble prayers are always productive.

We remain in prayer to remain in Him. Our perspective grows in Christlike clairvoyance as we focus on our heavenly Father in His liberal love and holiness. When we grow familiar with the dynamics of faithful living, trust wins—suspicion never does. Prayer becomes like oxygen for our soul, lest we smother ourselves in worry. Like a needy widow we need assurance from Jesus, our righteous judge. Our Lord never sleeps; He listens intently and loves us passionately.

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer” (Romans 12:12).

Why does God say no to some of my prayers? What’s the purpose of unanswered prayers?

Related Readings
Isaiah 40:31; Luke 11:5-8; Romans 1:10; Ephesians 6:18; Colossians 4:2

Self-Flattery

There is no fear of God before their eyes.
In their own eyes they flatter themselves too much to detect or hate their sin.
PSALM 36:1-2

Self-flattery is foolish. It has no fear of God. Self-flattery follows a false faith that’s forged out of convenience, not commitment. Self-flattery sees the self as the center of attention instead of Almighty God. It’s enamored with itself. It defines and executes its own agenda. It’s soft on sin. God-fearers, however, recognize their sin and flee from its presence. Respect for God flows from fear of God.

Self-flatterers hope that others share their high opinion of themselves. Self-flattery heaps praise on itself as a substitute for penance. To smooth over our conduct or soothe our own conscience sets us up for failure. We can justify anything, but we’d better be ready to suffer the consequences. There’s a limit to our self-congratulation; eventually God and others grow impatient with our obnoxious ways. Our inability to own up to our actions lowers our standing with God and man. Self-flattery fails because it follows self instead of our Savior Jesus.

“You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked” (Revelation 3:17).

There are many forms of self-flattery. When we think we’re smarter than God but ignore the principles laid out in His Word, we flatter ourselves. When we think we have hope in heaven, but act like hell, we flatter ourselves. When we live for today, as if death is a million miles away, we flatter ourselves. When we treat others with contempt and expect them to follow us, we flatter ourselves. Self-flattery longs for approval but meets with only disapproval.

The road away from self-flattery is self-denial. Self-denial refrains from flattery. It’s determined to know God. It’s sensitive to sin and loves the Lord. The fear of God is in the forefront of those who deny themselves for the cause of Christ. Self-denial keeps God in holy awe and keeps self away from unholy worship. It makes much of God and little of self. Knowing God allows us to really know ourselves. Self-denial replaces self-flattery with faith in God. Faith in God frees us.

“Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you” (Romans 12:3).

What area of my faith is naive? How do I think more highly of myself than I should?

Related Readings
Proverbs 13:7; Hosea 12:8; 1 Corinthians 15:10; Ephesians 3:7

Enjoy Great Peace

But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy peace and prosperity.
PSALM 37:11

Meekness is a bridge to blessing. It’s an attitude God honors with the enjoyment of His great peace. Meekness meanders, moving in and out of the halls of heaven. A humble spirit is the manner by which our Master can move us forward in His will. Our meekness transports us toward absolute surrender and obedience to God. The meek trust God. It’s the meek who want most to faithfully follow Jesus. Meek doesn’t mean we’re weak—we are strong in Christ.

Meekness is a conduit for what Christ has for us. He has an inheritance for His children. What is His is ours. He owns the land and everything upon it. We see His quiet white clouds cover the mountaintops like soft sheets. As the sun rises, its warmth pulls back the submissive cloud-sheets and introduces us to the day. His peace prods our pride to be still and know Him. He hushes our hurried spirit to be silent. The meek enjoy peace. Meekness is like Jesus.

“I am meek” (Matthew 11:29 KJV).

It’s here, with meek Jesus, that we find rest for our souls.

Even as we suffer, we topple over tribulation with trust in Jesus while we rest in His great peace. Christ’s consolation carries us along the way. His peace is a platform for His faithfulness to perform. Like an engaging drama on stage or in film, we watch and wait as the plot unfolds. If we jump to premature conclusions, we may get caught up in bad beliefs or false fears. So life is a stage where God’s great drama plays out. His plot is still unfolding by faith. His will is being revealed. His cast of characters is still in development.

We may not have an abundance of stuff, but we have great peace. It’s better to do stuff with our Savior than to have stuff without Him. He is our wisdom when we face complex circumstances. In crisis, we cling to Him. We silence our murmuring so we can be silent before Him. In silence before our Savior His great peace saturates our soul. It engulfs our edginess with eternal assurance. Fret not, but have faith in Jesus. Enjoy His great peace!

“All your children will be taught by the LORD, and great will be their peace” (Isaiah 54:13).

How can I grow in meekness? What does it mean to inherit the land?
Related Readings
Psalm 119:165; Haggai 13:20; Matthew 5:5; Hebrews 13:20

Wait for God’s Answer

LORD, I wait for you; you will answer, Lord my God.
PSALM 38:15

God’s answer isn’t always immediate. Our heavenly Father may not be forthcoming in His answer to prayer. We wait in our pain, and there seems to be no relief. We wait in confusion, and our circumstances grow more complicated. We wait for wisdom to harness our child’s energy for God, and we find ourselves wanting. We wait in wonder over what we need to do at work. Answers from the Almighty may be absent for now, but the faithful wait.

We commit ourselves to Christ because we know He judges righteously. He can be trusted. He’s not withholding His answer for His pleasure. In fact He may have already answered, and we’ve avoided hearing Him. Our activity can be an enemy to hearing God. We may need to slow down and stop trying to fix the faults of others. Seek the Lord and love Him. Seek His face and fear Him. God doesn’t speak freely to those He can’t trust, but to the trustworthy He gives insight.

“Teach slaves…to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive” (Titus 2:10).

Our patience allows God to possess our soul. Hope in the Almighty’s intervention and the power of prayer are what bring peace to a soul plagued by pain. In our adversity, the voice of the Almighty is near and clear. We just need to listen, really listen. Anger’s roar may be filling the ears of our heart. Worry may mute our soul’s capacity to listen to the Spirit. When we trust Jesus, we’re in a position to hear Jesus.

Don’t settle for anything less than the Almighty’s answer. Look for the Lord’s leading in His Word and among godly counsel. You’ll find the richest solace in waiting for His wisdom. Why settle for the scraps of a quick solution when you can have the gold of God’s solid strategy? Take your team or family through a process of discovering God’s game plan. It takes time to trust, but the results bear the fruit of God’s best. Rest in His refuge. He works while we wait!

“The LORD is a God of justice.
Blessed are all who wait for him!” (Isaiah 30:18).

What does it look like to wait on the Lord? What blessings come to those who wait on God?

Related Readings
Isaiah 64:4; Hosea 12:6; Micah 7:7; Mark 15:43; 1 Corinthians 4:5

Life Is Short

Show me, LORD, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is.
You have made my days a mere handbreadth.
PSALM 39:4-5

Sometimes we don’t know what we know. We know God loves us, but we struggle with feeling loved by our heavenly Father. We know God can be trusted, but our faith becomes fragile under the fire of financial pressures. We know God is all-wise, but we forget and go to Him only as the last resort for instruction. We know we’ll die soon, relative to eternity—yet we sometimes get sucked into a temporal trap. So we ask the Spirit to make real what we know.

Even heroes of the faith sometimes lost their focus on the brevity of life. David, who pursued God with passion, asked the Lord to let him know how fleeting his life looked. He needed to understand what he already knew. When we get caught up in the moment and wonder why Christ can’t use us to His fullest, we forget how few our moments are in this life. So ask the Lord to remind you that there’s no promise of tomorrow. Our life is the smallest of measurements. Only a handbreadth—a few inches.

“You do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes” (James 4:14).

Life reminds us along the way of its temporal makeup. Funerals remind us that “death” escorts individuals into eternity. Each one of us, unless Jesus returns first, will be the center of attention at a black-attire event. What will those who knew you best say at your eulogy? Will the minister be able to say you carried on a love relationship with Christ? Will your spouse and children say you loved them unconditionally? Writing your obituary engages you with the end.

So the Lord expects us to live with the end in mind. Our investments in eternity are what matter most. People and God’s Word are eternal. They’re worthy of our investment of time and money. Our age is irrelevant when compared to the earth’s age and the everlasting existence of our heavenly Father. Live for the Lord of the ages. The application of His purpose makes the most sense out of our short life. Life is short, eternity is forever. Live this life for Jesus Christ!

“Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12).

How can I better live in the here and now? What does it mean to live like I’m dying?

Related Readings
Psalm 103:3; Lamentations 4:18; Daniel 5:26; Luke 12:18-20; Acts 18:21

Distrust the Proud

Blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods.
PSALM 40:4

The proud are not trustworthy. They don’t trust and they can’t be trusted. They’re self-contained in their own little controlling world. Their motives are suspect. It’s all about their agenda and their priorities. There’s a sense of urgency around what they deem important. Their only regard for others is to use them to accomplish their own end. Pride may give lip service to the Lord, but they trust in themselves. They even invoke the Lord’s name, but mostly in vain.

So stay away from the influence of the proud lest you become like them. Keep your distance from those whose heart is hollow of humility. The proud may be attractive because of their accomplishments, but even the devil can get things done. Models worth following are those who are quick to give God the glory for their family and work success. They bow humbly before God’s throne of grace and offer Him the fruits of their labor by faith. Trust the humble in heart.

“All those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted” (Luke 18:14).

Be especially wary of those who portray an air of humility but mask a proud heart underneath. This may be the most hideous sin because it’s unseen to the naive and naked eye. False humility wants you to believe what isn’t true. False humility smiles when it isn’t really happy. False humility serves, but only out of fear of the object of its service. False humility acts nice, but all the while resentment builds. False humility is pride in disguise. It’s the worst kind of pride.

Deal daily with pride in your own heart and mind. Trusting God means not trusting in yourself. It’s all about Him and His game plan. Success makes you think you’re something. When you’re tempted to that, run from taking credit for results. Humbly listen to the great thoughts of thinking people.

God’s way is the best way. Tap into His truth. Trust Him with people and circumstances. Wait on the Lord; His way will prevail by prayer and patience. The humble hone in on heaven’s agenda!

“I leave within you the meek and humble.
The remnant of Israel will trust in the name of the LORD” (Zephaniah 3:12).

How can I walk humbly with Jesus? Who can I pray for who struggles with pride?

Related Readings
Deuteronomy 8:14; Job 40:11-12; Psalm 31:23; Ephesians 4:2; 1 Peter 5:6

Integrity’s Stability

Because of my integrity you uphold me and set me in your presence forever.
PSALM 41:12

Integrity is a stabilizing force in our life. It comes from God and is meant for God. Integrity is based on the strong moral principles of Jesus our Master. It’s the foundation of what makes our faith compelling and attractive. Integrity marks the lives which are built on this strong slab of faith, with Christ as the chief cornerstone (Ephesians 2:20). It’s your integrity that compels your children to come to you for counsel and advice. Integrity opens doors for your influence to flourish.

Maintaining integrity is not easy. Sometimes it costs us something. Maintaining your integrity may mean walking away from a relationship that reeks with inconsistency. Protect your integrity above all else. It’s your credibility as a Christ follower. As you engage in financial dealings, stay away from gray areas. Gray areas can turn into a black hole of financial irresponsibility. They can drown you in the red ink of debt. Be honest about money.

“I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity” (1 Chronicles 29:17).

Sin seeks to sink our integrity. It wants to torpedo our testimony with temptation’s allure. The Holy Spirit pricks our consciences early so we don’t continue down a path of destruction. Our integrity places us in a strong and stable position to discern sin and stand against its assault. Since we’re under our Savior’s surveillance we can become an example of integrity.

Integrity matters because it positions us to be in the presence of God. This is the reward of walking in integrity. The Lord walks in lockstep with His honest and humble worshippers. His presence propels us to praise and obey Him. It’s in His presence that we bring glory to God. Our awareness and acknowledgment of the Almighty ushers others into His presence. Our integrity allows us to invite others into experiencing God.

Steward your integrity well. It’s God’s instrument of righteousness reserved for His glory. Integrity stabilizes!

“David shepherded them with integrity of heart” (Psalm 78:72).

How does God uphold me in my integrity? What area of my life needs to grow in integrity?
Related Readings
Job 2:3; Proverbs 11:3; Mark 12:14; Titus 2:7

Blotted Out of the Book of Life?

The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life.
REVELATION 3:5

No, the redeemed of God cannot be blotted out of the book of life. Those who place their trust in Jesus for their salvation have their names permanently written in the Lord’s book. In Christ alone, we are more than conquerors and victorious over sin, Satan, and death. Because we have conquered, our names are guaranteed; we cannot be erased from the book. We are secured by faith in Jesus, and our faithfulness is the fruit of being in the book of life.

The Lord says, “I will never leave you nor forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5 NKJV). With the same expression of love, the Lord says, “I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life.” Because of His unwavering character, God will never forsake or forget His faithful followers. There are some who say they are saved, but as life happens, their disingenuous faith leads them to stray from the flock of God. True followers return to the fold.

“They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us” (1 John 2:19 NKJV).

Has your name been written in the Lamb’s book of life? If so, you can rest assured: Your heavenly Father’s ink is permanent. Yes, your Lord and Savior’s blood filled the inkwell of God’s love so He could engrave your name on the pages of His profound grace and love. Pain will try to erase your name, but it won’t. Doubt will try to remove your name, but it can’t. Fear will seek to eliminate your eternal security, but it will fail. Your promise of everlasting life with the Lord is based on Jesus, not on your fleeting feelings. Faith can be certain of eternal security.

Have you left your community of Christ followers—even abandoned your faith? If so, be concerned that you are not one of the faithful. A wolf in sheep’s clothing will one day be exposed by the judgment of God (Matthew 7:15). Embrace Christ, by faith, as the Son of the living God, who died on the cross for your sins and rose from death to give you life, forever to be with Him. Amen!

“All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast—all whose names have not been written in the Lamb’s book of life” (Revelation 13:8).
How can I express my gratitude to God for His assurance of salvation in Christ?

Related Readings
John 10:27-30; 1 Corinthians 12:6; Philippians 2:12-13; 1 John 5:13

Boyd Bailey, Two Minutes in the Bible through Revelation: A 90-Day Devotional

Guiding Light

Send me your light and your faithful care, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell.
PSALM 43:3

God is our guiding light. Without His light we’re lost. At just the right time the beautiful beams of His light break through our clouds of uncertainty. He’s the Master at making sure we can see the next step in His will. We can trust Him with this sequence of steps that mark His ways. He understands how contentment abides with Christ in the immediate, and hopes for His best in the future. Hold the Lord’s lantern of truth and faithful care over your next step, and you’ll see clearly.

There’s a direct connection between truth and light. The more truth we learn and apply, the greater our capacity for illumination. Ignorance keeps us in the dark. Sin locks us in the fog of isolation. Where truth has been abandoned, there’s little light to see the Lord’s way.
As the sun sends forth its radiant rays, all nature gains life. By faith, follow His light.

“You, LORD, are my lamp; the LORD turns my darkness into light” (2 Samuel 22:29).

Sin may have suckered you into some dark place. You’re afraid and unsure of what to do next. It may cost you an opportunity or a friendship, but it’s time to leave the cold, clammy circumstance that withholds heaven’s light. The reason you cannot see clearly may be due to the cloud of compromise hovering over your heart. Satan creates confusion. Christ gives clarity. Leave the dark days of your past behind you. Trust God with the unseen.

Lead others into the truth and light of the Lord. Take a risk and organize a Bible study over lunch at work. Take your team through a discovery process of timeless principles that make successful people and great companies. Don’t be shy with your Savior. To pay for our sins, He hung naked for public display on the cross. So carry the torch of truth on His behalf. He has you in a place of influence at work and home to be a light of love. God is your guiding light!

“By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light” (Exodus 13:21).

What sin in my life is the Lord’s light shining on? How can I be a light of hope to a friend?

Related Readings
Ezra 9:8; Psalm 4:6; Proverbs 20:27; Isaiah 60:1; Acts 13:47

Through God

Through you we push back our enemies; through your name we trample our foes.
PSALM 44:5

Through God we get things done. What accomplishes great things is not our superior intellect, but God’s wisdom and know-how. Everything depends not on our outstanding leadership, but on the leadership of the Holy Spirit, who gets us where we need to go. The biggest results are produced not by our financial prowess, but by the riches of the Lord’s resources. Through God we best govern our lives.

Through God is how you get through fearful situations. Through God is how you get through death or divorce. Through God is how you get through teenagers. Through God is how you get through transitions. Through God is how you get through traumatic experiences. Through God is how you get through a financial quagmire. Through God is how you get through relational reconciliation. In your own strength, you slip back—in His strength, you overcome obstacles.

“‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the LORD Almighty” (Zechariah 4:6).

In union and communion with Christ, He works wonders. There’s nothing about God that isn’t good and worth emulating. It’s through the engrafting of His character into ours that we pay Him the greatest compliment. It’s in and through the Lord’s shaping of our soul that we become more sensitive to His Spirit. Only as we cooperate with Christ can we experience Him working through us. Don’t underestimate how much God wants to work through you.

Therefore, do things through God; you won’t regret the results. The Lord’s results are lasting because they’re aligned with His sovereign plan. No one can thwart what God can do. By your faith, He uses you to accomplish His will. A broken and submissive follower of Jesus with average ability is exceedingly superior to a self-reliant believer with greater skills and potential. Stay focused on what the Spirit can do through you, not on what you can do for Him. God gets you through.

“That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Corinthians 12:10).

What situation do I need to trust the Lord with to get me through? Who has God provided to help me get through?
Related Readings
Haggai 1:3; Zechariah 7:12; John 3:17; Acts 2:22; 21:19; Romans 1:4

Enthralled by Beauty

Let the king be enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord.
PSALM 45:11

Your beauty enthralls God. It is first the beauty of your belief in Christ that attracts you to Almighty God. When you embrace His Son as your salvation, you gain absolute approval and blessing from your heavenly Father. There’s nothing more you can do to gain God’s acceptance than to accept His Son Jesus. This makes you beautiful to Him. Your breathtaking beauty of faith in Him compels Christ to romance you. Unfeigned faith calls for God’s love.

Your internal attractiveness makes your external appearance and attitude inviting. God starts by beautifying the heart before He brings the body into His submission. A body can be beautiful, but without a clean heart it isn’t attractive to Christ. Beautiful people who love Jesus are called to point people beyond themselves to God. As outward beauty fades, inward beauty grows more attractive. Aged beauty in Christ is easy on the eyes of the soul. God makes attractive those who are His own.

“From Zion, perfect in beauty, God shines forth” (Psalm 50:2).

Dads have the opportunity and responsibility to tell their daughters they’re beautiful. As the Lord’s representative, look them in the eye and express the blessing of their beauty. Tell them how you love their smile and the joy it brings to your heart. Describe to them the beauty of their pure eyes as a reflection of their clean heart. Use respectful words and courteous acts to affirm their sensitive hearts. Daughters desperately need their dad’s approval.

Let the Lord love you in the beauty of His holiness. Just as the church is the bride of Christ, so we have entered into an individual and intimate relationship with Him. We are beautiful to God, and He is beautiful to us. There’s a mutual attractiveness that mirrors marriage. See yourself as God sees you in Jesus: beautiful and accepted. See Him as He is: lofty and lovely. Worship Him in the beauty of His holiness. Beauty attracts beauty. Without Christ, we’re beastly. In Christ, we’re beautiful. Rest in and enjoy everlasting beauty!

“‘Leave her alone,’ said Jesus. ‘Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me’” (Mark 14:6).

How has Jesus made the ugly areas of my life beautiful? How can I best honor Him?

Related Readings
Psalm 116:15; Proverbs 31:30; Isaiah 61:3; Mark 14:6; 2 Peter 1:3-8

God Reigns

God reigns over the nations;
God is seated on his holy throne.
PSALM 47:8

God reigns over the entire earth. The sun never sets on the omnipresent shadow of our Savior Jesus. He’s the greatest in power, high and lofty in dominion, preeminent in wisdom, and elevated in excellence of glory. Our God reigns. He reigns in war and in peace. He reigns in crisis and in calm. He reigns in economic catastrophe and in economic prosperity. He reigns over good and evil. He reigns over nations and individuals. Our God reigns.

He reigns from His holy throne. His is not a throne soiled with corruption and self-serving. His throne is full of grace and truth. His throne is marked and defined by holiness. It has never been stained with sin, corrupted by cover-up, or defiled by injustice. God never sits dismayed or experiences a dilemma. He sits in serene security. His throne dispenses wisdom, grace, and mercy. We can approach His holy throne boldly.

“Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need” (Hebrews 4:16).

God reigns over the human heart. It’s here that we can submit to or spurn the Almighty’s authority. It’s in submission to our reigning King Jesus that we come to know His will for our lives. Obedience leads to opportunity. Because our God reigns, He can be trusted. His rules are for our good. Christ is not a cosmic killjoy. So love Him, and you’ll love to follow Him. It’s easy to follow an unconditional lover. Our God reigns in love and holiness.

We have every reason to celebrate Christ’s reign. His kingship brings praise to our lips. Our Lord reigns. Hallelujah! We have no real reason to worry or stress out, because our God reigns. We can put the kibosh on our murmuring because our God reigns. We can sleep peacefully because our God reigns. We can let go of control and not be controlled because our God reigns. We can give Him our grief, sorrow, and sin because He reigns. Our God reigns now and forevermore. Amen and amen!

“[Christ] has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen” (Revelation 1:6).

What does it look like for God to reign over my life? What do I need to leave at His throne of grace?

Related Readings
1 Samuel 12:13-14; Psalms 99:1-9; 146:10; Isaiah 52:7; Revelation 19:6

Master Meditation

Within your temple, O God, we meditate on your unfailing love.
PSALM 48:9

Wise men and women meditate on God. They know Him through His written Word, a personal letter from their heavenly Father full of His unfailing love. And the primary purpose for listening is the transformation of the hearer. It’s not to gain more information so we can impress others with our knowledge. The Lord’s desire is that we listen and become more like Jesus. As we contritely meditate, we declare Almighty God’s mastery over our life.

If we’re not careful, we cringe at what Christ may say, listening only to what we want to hear. Humble meditation means we listen to the full counsel of God, which is indiscriminate in its understanding of His character and plan. Meditation on our Master leads to massive soul transformation. It unleashes a work of grace in our hearts that gyrates to future generations. Meditation on God becomes the Spirit’s system for governing our inner being.

“May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer” (Psalm 19:14).

We can meditate both personally and corporately. We individually hear God speak. His intimacy is unrivaled in the way He loves us specifically for who we are. He has a personal plan and a purpose for us that we come to appreciate and understand in solitude and silence. But we also meditate on our Master among His people. This is our gathering for collective praise and thanks. Our spirit engages with His transcendence and holiness through worship with others.

Listen to the Lord through writing. Journal what Jesus is saying to you. Pen to paper pulls out what’s within your heart. It exposes who you are and who He is, and how you can become more like Him. Consider calendaring two days of worship with Christ. The more you meditate on His unfailing love, the more you’re loved by Him and the more capable you are of fulfilling His greatest command of loving Him and others. Meditation migrates you toward your Master Jesus. Authentic meditation moves you to be mastered by your Master!

“May my meditation be pleasing to him, as I rejoice in the LORD” (Psalm 104:34).

What makes my meditation pleasing to the Lord? How do I feel when I meditate on God’s unfailing love for me?

Related Readings
Genesis 24:63; Joshua 1:8; Psalms 77:12; 119:97; Hebrews 10:7; 2 Timothy 4:13

Honor God

Those who sacrifice thank offerings honor me, and to the blameless I will show my salvation.
PSALM 50:23

Honoring God is our obligation as Jesus followers. It’s not an option but an opportunity to afford praise and thanksgiving to the Almighty. The honor of God places the focus of our appreciation on the object of our affection: Jesus. Such honor is far beyond mere language from our lips—it’s the habit of our delicious living. Our life is honorable when gratitude motivates our actions. It’s a celebration of salvation in Christ. Gratitude honors God.

Our worship honors God when our behavior matches our beliefs. This is why we come before Christ in confession and repentance. It’s an honoring of the standards He has set with His life and words. To receive Jesus’s salvation and then ignore Him until we get to heaven is dishonoring to our Lord.

We go to God in praise because we need it—and because He deserves and expects it. He’s honored in heaven and on earth by our sober acts of submission and praise to Christ.

“Our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 3:20).

In our acts of honor, we hear the voice of the one we are honoring. Honoring improves our hearing and brings clarity. When we honor God and people above ourselves, we gain perspective. Self-honoring drains the life from a situation, while offering honor gives life. We honor others when we serve them. We honor others when we’re kind. We honor others when we involve them in our decision making. We honor others when we invite them to special occasions: showers, weddings, funerals, anniversaries. Honor involves others.

God honors those who honor Him. What an honor to be honored by God! He honors us with His love and intimacy. He honors us with responsibilities and success. He honors us with wisdom. He honors us with blessings undeserved. He honors us with friends and family. He honors us with health and healing. He honors us by calling us His own. Our honor invites His honor. By God’s grace, do the honorable thing. Honor prepares His way for our life!

“Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained” (1 Samuel 2:30).

How can I best honor the Lord with my life? In what ways does gratitude for my salvation honor God?
Related Readings
Psalm 103:20; Mark 7:6; Romans 12:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:20

Broken by God

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart you, God, will not despise.
PSALM 51:17

Brokenness by God is beautiful to Him. It’s His passageway to purity. It’s His entrance into intimacy. It’s His plan for our maturity in the faith. We need the tender touch of our Lord to lead us from a hardened heart to one broken before Him. An unbroken heart rivals God. A broken heart aligns with God. Unbroken, we’re like a wild stallion. We need a “heart whisperer” from heaven to tame our spirit. We need God’s bridle of brokenness to bring us under submission. If we buck the Holy Spirit’s breaking—we’re in for a rougher ride. He breaks us to build us up.

Some broken things are discarded. They’re done away with because they’re more easily replaced than repaired. We can’t drink any longer from a broken glass. Our heart, on the other hand, is most useful after it’s broken. A heart is never at its best until then. Brokenness brings out what’s on the inside. It reveals where there’s still a rascal in rebellion. It’s in our brokenness that divine restoration takes place. A broken heart experiences God.

“I live in a high and holy place, but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit” (Isaiah 57:15).

Brokenness is both an event and a process. Your salvation broke you of unbelief and brought you into right standing with your Savior. However, the Holy Spirit is still breaking your behavior by conforming you into the image of Christ. It’s a process of your pride decreasing and your humility increasing. Don’t be gullible, thinking you’re over your need for a work of God’s grace. Brokenness is a process of becoming more like Jesus. He tames you to trust Him.

Brokenness is God’s way to blessing and change. He breaks our will and restores us to His will. He breaks our spirit and restores us to the security of His Spirit. He breaks our pride and restores us to His humility. He breaks our stubbornness and restores us to His sensitivity. He breaks our harshness and restores us to His kindness. He breaks our greed and restores us to His generosity. He breaks our lust and restores us to His love. He breaks our disobedience and restores us to His obedience. Brokenness is our transformation by God’s grace and truth.

“I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you” (Ezekiel 36:26).

What positive outcomes result from brokenness? What habit of mine needs to be broken by God?

Related Readings
Psalm 4:7-8; Ezekiel 11:19; 18:31-32; Romans 12:1-2; 1 Timothy 1:5

Back
Top Bottom