Two Minutes in the Bible through Psalms

God Promotion

No one from the east or the west or from the desert can exalt themselves. It is God who judges: He brings one down, he exalts another.
PSALM 75:6-7

Sometimes we strive unnecessarily to seek promotion. We forget that heaven handles this responsibility. Joseph discovered this when he went from the pit of death to the palace of power (Genesis 39). This doesn’t lessen our commitment to excellence and hard work, but it does help us lean hard into the Lord. He’s our promoter, our agent for advancement. Allow Christ to be your champion. The timing of our advancement is ordained in heaven, not on earth.

Pray to your advocate Jesus. Talk with Him about His role and your responsibility. Like the owner who gave responsibility to three managers while he was away, God does have expectations of your efforts (Matthew 25). The providence of God doesn’t mean you’re passive. You’re called to do excellent work with the motive of glorifying God. Focus on giving Him credit for your accomplishments, and He may entrust you with more responsibility. The quality of your work and relationships is a reflection on Jesus. He looks for those He can lift up for His own glory.

“All those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted” (Luke 14:11).

A premature promotion can be perilous. Some who arrive too soon are sent back to the beginning to learn valuable lessons. So use any parenthesis of time before you’re promoted to prepare your character. New responsibilities may require more intense integrity and a deep reservoir of faith. Stay focused on faith development, and leave the opening and closing of doors to divine discretion. Let the Lord bring opportunity beckoning. Promotion in God’s timing is best for all.

Above all else, don’t miss God in the midst of your motivation for advancement. He’ll give you the people, passion, and provisions for your new role. Moses had Aaron. David had Jonathan. Peter and John had each other. Paul had Barnabas, Silas, Timothy, and others at various times.
Promotion is a platform to love people with the Lord. Love them, so they will love Him. Here’s where God’s blessings intersect in people’s lives. Give Christ credit, and He’ll give you influence with those you lead.

“Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things.
In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all” (1 Chronicles 29:12).

What work of grace does God want to prepare in my heart, so I’m ready for work advancement?

Related Readings
Psalm 90:17; Isaiah 64:8; Luke 10:40; Acts 20:35

Boyd Bailey, Two Minutes in the Bible through Psalms: A 90-Day Devotional

Reflection of God

You are radiant with light, more majestic than mountains rich with game.
PSALM 76:4

Followers of Jesus are reflections of Jesus. This is who we are. Just as the moon is a reflection of the sun, we are reflections of the Son. His beam of light blankets our lives like the sun’s reflective rays on a sunbather on a hot summer day. God created light (Genesis 1:3), and He invites us to walk in the greater light of His love. So focus on being like Jesus; don’t be driven by doing for Jesus. Like a full moon, a life that reflects the Lord draws people’s attention.

It’s when we’re in right relationship with our heavenly Father that we’re right for reflection. He lights up a life that’s submitted to Him. The lampshade of sin is removed when we confess to Christ our desperate dependence on Him. Because we’re in Christ, we’re in the light. We shine because our Savior shines through us. Light is translucent. It reflects best off holiness. Character ignites the light of the Lord to reach into the darkest crevices of our world. You are the light of the Lord.

“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of the light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord” (Ephesians 5:8-10).

When we forgive, we reflect Jesus. When we care, we reflect Christ. When we cry over the condition of Christless souls, we reflect what our Lord experienced when He wept over the lost condition of His people (Luke 19:41-42). When we feed the hungry, clothe the naked, administer medical care to the sick, and house the homeless, we reflect Jesus. When we speak a word of encouragement, we reflect Christ. Reflecting God means we resolve to be who we are in Christ.

Lead others into the light of the Lord. Use your home to illuminate His love. Your home can become a little bit of heaven to those whose lives are a lot like hell. Invest time and money in those who cannot or will not give back. Orphans, single parents, the jobless, the homeless, homosexuals, adulterers, divorcees, and the poor all need the warmth of God’s love. So reflect God to them. Be a responsible citizen in the kingdom of light!

“The Father…has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light” (Colossians 1:12).

How can I reflect Jesus in my conversations and my actions?

Related Readings
Psalm 4:6; Isaiah 2:5; 60:1; Acts 13:47-48; Philippians 2:14-15

A Good Memory

I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.
PSALM 77:11-12

A good memory makes for a faithful follower of Jesus. It’s good when our soul thinks back and reflects on His faithfulness. When we become shortsighted in our faith, we struggle and become stressed out.

Good memories remind us of God’s goodness. His track record can be trusted. You may be experiencing a famine of faith, but you can still draw on the storehouse of stories that illustrate the past works of God.

Beware of short-term memory loss in your trust of the Lord. Even Jesus’s disciples wrestled with this (Matthew 16:9).

A good memory brings to remembrance God’s good deeds. Remember when He redirected your life from a disastrous outcome to one filled with peace and hope. He bought you with the price of His precious Son Jesus. This is a majestic memory of switching masters. Now your allegiance is to Almighty God. Your memory may bring back prayers He has answered, people who’ve come to Christ, or conversations with other Christ followers. Jesus said to remember His words. His words woo us back when we wander away.

“Remember what I told you” (John 15:20).

The art of meditation brings back good memories. Meditation makes for rich talk. A mind that doesn’t meditate is like dilapidated machinery corroded with rust. Conversations without contemplation are barren of substance. Meditation makes for more meaningful talk. Write out what He says so you can filter your thinking into pure words and phrases not easily forgotten. Remember the Lord’s Word and His works!

Avoid filling your mind with useless information. Don’t mentally replay your regrets and wishful thinking. What’s done is done; nothing can change what has happened. Obsessing over bad memories builds bitterness and betrays your freedom in Christ. Forget your former life of pain, and focus on what you’ve gained with God. Forget your former life of unprincipled living, and embrace your new life in Christ. By God’s grace, make new memories with Him!

“But now that you know God—or rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again?” (Galatians 4:9).

What memories of God’s good works and words do I need to meditate on?

Related Readings
Numbers 15:40; Deuteronomy 7:18; Psalm 22:27; Luke 17:32; 2 Corinthians 9:6

Listen to Learn

O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth.
PSALM 78:1

Students of Jesus listen to learn. They listen to Him and to those He brings into their lives. When we’re listening in order to learn, we move closer to the Lord and others. This is why we give earnest attention to what He says. We hear the Almighty and act on His words. Obedience is a sign of effective listening. Wise is the man or woman who listens well to the Lord. Jesus spoke as one with authority and people listened (Matthew 7:28-29). Wisdom listens and learns.

The habit of not listening can get us into trouble. But there’s a deeper level of listening that engages our heart around eternal issues. It focuses on the principles of Scripture for the purpose of making a life. In listening to learn, we’re motivated to understand the context of Christ’s teaching. Jesus said, “Learn from me” (Matthew 11:29). A first step in learning to listen is obeying. Because Christ learned obedience from suffering, so can we.

“Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered” (Hebrews 5:8).

Our listening and learning must also extend to people. God has lessons for us to learn from almost everyone we come in contact with. But we’ll miss this instruction if we don’t listen intently to them. We show love to others when we listen. Wisdom values everyone’s instruction. Listen to others with the same undivided attention you give to God. Don’t be slow to learn. Slow down your spirit and focus on the moment. Have clear comprehension with an eye to application.

Once you’ve listened and learned, pass on your valuable lessons to others. The best teachers are excellent listeners. They don’t just transfer information; transformation is the outcome of their teaching. Teachers who listen well are much better prepared to teach well. You pass on your “learning from listening” to those who are eager to listen and learn.

Listen well and learn more easily. Be quick to listen, and you’ll be fast to learn!

“It is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand” (Hebrews 5:11).

How can I listen in a way that honors the Lord? What is God trying to teach me?
Related Readings
Deuteronomy 4:10; Jeremiah 12:16-17; Matthew 11:28-30; 1 Timothy 5:4

Suffering and Seeking

Whenever God slew them, they would seek him; they eagerly turned to him again.
PSALM 78:34

Suffering has the tendency to shake us into seeking the Lord. When we become uncomfortable in our circumstances, we long for the Lord. Christ becomes our interest when our interests are interrupted. It’s not a bad thing when suffering sends us to our Savior. We knew Him in our salvation, but we didn’t know Him in our suffering. Suffering moves us beyond the surface with our Savior to an intense level of loving intimacy and dependence. In our own sufferings we come to understand what it’s like to share in His sufferings (Philippians 3:10).

We tend to obey when we resonate with the rod of God’s reproof. He disciplines us when we get out of line (Hebrews 12:5-11). Because He loves us, He longs for us to seek Him with all our heart. It’s a passionate desire for unhindered intimacy.

Our suffering gets our eyes off ourselves and onto Him. Suffering delivers us from self to our Savior. In our suffering we see Christ clearly. Don’t pity yourself by staying stuck on yourself, but throw yourself into the arms of your heavenly Father who loves you.

“I would still have this consolation—my joy in unrelenting pain—that I had not denied the words of the Holy One” (Job 6:10).

By faith we cast our burdens on God. The sharp stabs of suffering awaken the memories of His faithfulness. When our prideful props are knocked away, we’re positioned for total dependence on the Lord. Maybe your career has gone south—then go hard after Him. Or you’ve become soft on sin—go hard after Him. You have been treated unfairly—go hard after Him. Maybe your anger has the best of you—go hard after Him. You are bankrupt—go hard after Him. Use this time of suffering to seek your Savior.

Suffering brought about by the Lord’s discipline is for our good so we may share in His holiness. It’s painful now, but it produces a harvest of righteousness. Holiness means He has all of us. Leverage your suffering for the sake of others. See God in your suffering so you won’t stay angry. Move toward the Lord and be glad!

“God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness” (Hebrews 12:10).

How does the Lord want me to use my suffering to seek His heart?

Related Readings
Psalm 42:10-11; Acts 3:18-19; 1 Thessalonians 5:9; 1 Peter 2:20

Empowering Leadership

David shepherded them with integrity of heart; with skillful hands he led them.
PSALM 78:72

Leadership can be daunting, even overwhelming. You may lack experience in a new area, so admit your shortcomings and be open and honest about your need for the team’s expertise. It’s better to release our inexperience up front than to hide or ignore it until it reveals itself. Leaders with integrity know what they can and cannot do well. They look to others to shore up their weakness, and they serve others out of their strengths. You can be educated without having to become an expert. Indeed, integrity is always learning from other gifted leaders.

Leaders who empower lead out of a position of humility. This means they have more questions than answers. They help other team members discover the best answers. They’re the CQA (Chief Question Asker). They’re skilled at harvesting everyone’s best thinking and converging diverse ideas into the best answer. The direct approach may get results sooner. Dictating what to do can be more efficient, but lacks sustainability. It’s wiser to go through a process of debate and buy-in. Collective thinking from the whole produces the best outcomes.

“The advice Ahithophel gave was like that of one who inquires of God” (2 Samuel 16:23).

Ask God for wisdom to understand what questions to ask, and for patience to pause for another’s answer. It’s in our waiting that God makes leaders out of followers. Followers who fail to think stay stunted in their leadership, while followers who learn to think grow their leadership capacity. They can eventually surpass their leader’s leadership. You want to work yourself out of a job. Wise and patient leaders grow a team that surpasses their capacity.

Skilled leaders are able to discern those who don’t have the capability to grow as leaders. They may not have the character to handle leadership’s demands. Expel team members of bad character, or they’ll corrupt the whole. Their bad motives may be as obvious and loud as a rattlesnake, or they may be as quiet and deceptive as a water moccasin; either way, they’re a threat.

Some team members may have the character but not the competence to grow into leaders. Skilled leaders of integrity value everyone. Above all, they follow the Lord’s leadership.

“May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope, LORD, is in you” (Psalm 25:21).

How can I help develop leadership in others? What evidence is there that I follow the Lord well?

Related Readings
Genesis 17:1; Proverbs 22:29; Ecclesiastes 2:19; Matthew 22:16; Titus 2:7

Empowering Leadership

David shepherded them with integrity of heart; with skillful hands he led them.
PSALM 78:72

Leadership can be daunting, even overwhelming. You may lack experience in a new area, so admit your shortcomings and be open and honest about your need for the team’s expertise. It’s better to release our inexperience up front than to hide or ignore it until it reveals itself. Leaders with integrity know what they can and cannot do well. They look to others to shore up their weakness, and they serve others out of their strengths. You can be educated without having to become an expert. Indeed, integrity is always learning from other gifted leaders.

Leaders who empower lead out of a position of humility. This means they have more questions than answers. They help other team members discover the best answers. They’re the CQA (Chief Question Asker). They’re skilled at harvesting everyone’s best thinking and converging diverse ideas into the best answer. The direct approach may get results sooner. Dictating what to do can be more efficient, but lacks sustainability. It’s wiser to go through a process of debate and buy-in. Collective thinking from the whole produces the best outcomes.

“The advice Ahithophel gave was like that of one who inquires of God” (2 Samuel 16:23).

Ask God for wisdom to understand what questions to ask, and for patience to pause for another’s answer. It’s in our waiting that God makes leaders out of followers. Followers who fail to think stay stunted in their leadership, while followers who learn to think grow their leadership capacity. They can eventually surpass their leader’s leadership. You want to work yourself out of a job. Wise and patient leaders grow a team that surpasses their capacity.

Skilled leaders are able to discern those who don’t have the capability to grow as leaders. They may not have the character to handle leadership’s demands. Expel team members of bad character, or they’ll corrupt the whole. Their bad motives may be as obvious and loud as a rattlesnake, or they may be as quiet and deceptive as a water moccasin; either way, they’re a threat.

Some team members may have the character but not the competence to grow into leaders. Skilled leaders of integrity value everyone. Above all, they follow the Lord’s leadership.

“May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope, LORD, is in you” (Psalm 25:21).

How can I help develop leadership in others? What evidence is there that I follow the Lord well?

Related Readings
Genesis 17:1; Proverbs 22:29; Ecclesiastes 2:19; Matthew 22:16; Titus 2:7

Boyd was spot on thanks for sharing this my friend.

Desperate Need

May your mercy come quickly to meet us, for we are in desperate need.
Help us, God our Savior.
PSALM 79:8-9

Everyone’s in desperate need of God. There are no exemptions. The rich and the poor desperately need God. The educated and the ignorant desperately need God. The respected and disrespected desperately need God. The wise and the foolish desperately need God. We’re desperately needy because we cannot save ourselves. In and of ourselves, we have no hope. Our desperation graduates to despair if we stay there. Yes, humility stays needy for the Holy Spirit.

In Christ we have a living hope that meets our every need. Only when we acknowledge our desperate need for Christ are we ready to receive His grace. For some, unfortunately, it takes a crisis to awaken their desperate need for Jesus. They slumber away in their sin-sedated state, only tipping God with trivial pursuit. Or they find fulfillment in other respected places like family, work, or community service. But our interests, however narcissistic or noble, cannot substitute for our desperate need for God’s goodness and mercy to lead our lives.

“My God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19).

Because of our desperate need for Christ, we can rejoice. We’re full of joy because we know Jesus is our Savior and Lord. Because our Redeemer lives, we can face tomorrow. Our desperate need leads us to the Lord. This is where we find peace and patience. Self-sufficiency will try to slither its way into our thinking as we experience success. Our success, however, just means a greater need for God. Accolades can lure us into kingdom irrelevance if we aren’t utterly abandoned to Christ. Humility keeps us desperate for Jesus.

We’re all desperately needy for God, so there’s no room for pride. We’re all beggars who have the opportunity to share the bread of God’s grace with each other. It’s in the rawness of our needy condition that we have the opportunity to model dependence and total trust. We’re sheep in need of a shepherd. With Him we’re wise and confident. Without Him we’re confused and lost. Desperate dependence on Christ within leads to a quiet confidence without. When we’re desperately needy, we become radically loved by the Lord!

“Once more the humble will rejoice in the LORD; the needy will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel” (Isaiah 29:19).

Why is it important to stay needy for Jesus? What keeps me desperate for God?

Related Readings
Psalms 60:3; 142:6; Jeremiah 20:13; Lamentations 2:19; John 7:37-39

New Opportunity

You transplanted a vine from Egypt…
You cleared the ground for it, and it took root and filled the land.
PSALM 80:8-9

Sometimes we need a new opportunity. We need to challenge our career path. We need to further our faith. We need to nurture the soil of our soul. God knows our need to conquer new goals and grow closer to Him. We remained faithful during the downturn, but now circumstances have somewhat stabilized. We may be like a star athlete who has performed well for a season, but a trade to a different team is what’s best for everyone. It’s time to transition. Transition requires trust. We celebrate what Christ has done through us, and now we move on by faith.

You’ve managed well what God has given you, and now He’s opening up another door of opportunity. God has nurtured your life like a small branch, and has prepared it to be vibrant and healthy. God has cared for you, so you can care for others. Healthy vines produce firm branches with luscious fruit. God wants to plant you in this new opportunity where the soil is fertile. He has prepared this next season for your roots to go deep and wide for the kingdom of God.

“No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me” (John 15:4).

However, don’t allow change to hurt your relationship with Christ. A new opportunity probably requires more time with Jesus. Discomfort is sometimes necessary to shake us out of our comfort zone and cause us to cling to Christ. Newness gives us fresh appreciation and motivation. It may be a new church or neighborhood. A new boyfriend or girlfriend. It may be a new hobby or a move to another continent. Embrace the new with fresh faith in God!

Receive by faith whatever new opportunity awaits you, and don’t look back. Israel stayed confused when they looked back and second-guessed their exodus from Egypt (Numbers 14:3-4). Stay focused ahead on what Almighty God has for you next. Out on the limb with Jesus is the location of the best fruit. Steward it well, and He’ll expand His influence through you. Move forward by faith. Don’t look back with regret, as Lot’s wife did (Genesis 19:26). New beginnings begin with trust in Jesus.

“By faith Abraham, when called to go…obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going” (Hebrews 11:8).

What new opportunity is God calling me to follow? What fruit does Christ want to bear in me.

Related Readings
Proverbs 27:25-27; Isaiah 43:19; Acts 10:19-21; Hebrews 11:6

Listen Well

Hear me, my people, and I will warn you—if you would only listen to me, Israel!
PSALM 81:8

Sometimes we listen only to what we want to hear. If we drift into this spiritually insensible state, we become deaf to God. Are Christ’s commands falling on deaf ears? The sign language of our Savior may be signaling us back to His love and care. Jesus taught the wisdom of listening to God. He said in John 6:45, “It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me.” An educational exchange with eternity draws us closer to Christ. The Holy Spirit is our teacher.

Listening lures us to the Lord. Like attractive bait in front of a hungry fish, our heavenly Father hooks us with truth. He often uses godly messengers to get across His personalized message. In actively listening to the Almighty’s ambassadors, we gain discernment into what to do or not to do. Your spouse, teacher, parents, pastor, and godly friends may well speak on behalf of your Savior. Other voices can seem louder and more persuasive, but listen to those who love you—who want God’s best for you.

“We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood” (1 John 4:6).

If you continue down the road of resistance to Spirit-led listening, then God may give you over to your desires. He doesn’t waste His time with those who won’t adhere to His words. He doesn’t cast the pearls of His wisdom among stubborn swine (Matthew 7:6). He shares with those who steward well what they hear, understand, and do. The Lord longs to engage your heart through the stability of Scripture. His Word communicates truth. Listen…learn…live!

Listen well in your encounters with Christ. Look for His pensive and pure voice through those who love Him. Selective listening is smart only if it ignores lies and stays sensitive to God. Turn down the volume on the Christless culture which constantly cries out for conformation to its creeds. Only one voice rightly demands your undivided attention: Almighty God’s. Therefore be selective by listening well to what your Savior says. His words are sweet as honey to the soul!

“My sheep listen to my voice; I [Jesus] know them, and they follow me” (John 10:27).

How can I better listen to the Lord? What is the Holy Spirit saying to my soul?

Related Readings
1 Samuel 8:7; Malachi 2:2; 1 Corinthians 14:21; Revelation 2:7

God Presides

God presides in the great assembly; he renders judgment among the “gods.”
PSALM 82:1

God presides over the courtroom of our culture. He’s the Chief Justice over our cares, concerns, and corruption. Nothing done in this life sneaks by our Savior. We can be certain that Christ will judge our actions and our inactions. He’s the judge to be feared. He’s the judge our judges should fear.

For Moses, God was his model of justice as he sat in judgment of the people. They stood to plead their case while he sat, listened, and dispensed wisdom (Exodus 18:13).

The judges of our land are not the final answer. They answer to Almighty God. Woe to them if they acquit the guilty or condemn the innocent. Great responsibility resides with the one who presides in judgment. Pray therefore for our judges to petition heaven for help. There’s a guide for defining right and wrong. The Bible is the basis for our judicial system. Holy Scripture is the baseline for our laws. It defines and illustrates God’s moral law. It’s designed to be the conscience of our culture. Judges have boundaries to prevent them from perverting justice.

“Select capable men from all the people—men who fear God, trustworthy men who hate dishonest gain… Have them serve as judges for the people” (Exodus 18:21-22).

The same applies when we find ourselves in a position to preside over another’s problems. Two parties may bring to us conflicting opinions. Our first question as mediator is, what does the Bible teach? What eternal principles apply to this situation? A child may be right in their grievance against their parents, but are they honoring them (Ephesians 6:1-2) in the process? We use our level of influence to leverage what the Lord thinks. Engage conflict with Christ’s view.

Live your life with actions that can stand the scrutiny of your Savior. Be ever aware of the courtroom of Christ as your ultimate accountability (1 Corinthians 3:11-13). You may mask your motives with a smile, but your true intent will one day be exposed. The Lord God is your final authority. What you do in the dark—where no one’s watching—will one day come out under the light of the Lord. Live an accountable life that will one day answer to God.

“The Lord…will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart” (1 Corinthians 4:5).

Do I trust the Lord as the ultimate judge? What motives of mine does the Spirit need to purify?

Related Readings
Psalms 7:8; 9:4; Proverbs 31:9; Matthew 7:1-2; Romans 2:1; 1 Peter 4:17

Shamed into Seeking

Cover their faces with shame, LORD, so that they will seek your name.

Shame can be a catalyst for seeking Christ. It’s in our shame that we’re positioned to seek the Lord. Our shameful state opens the door to our Savior Jesus. You may have been caught stealing, lying, or flirting with another person’s spouse. Your drinking may have become excessive, or your prescription drug use lingered too long. Your gossip got the best of you. Your irresponsible actions have come to light. You’re embarrassed—even ashamed. What should you do?

We can be relieved that our shameful indiscretions can give us a new lease with the Lord. Shame is meant to wean us from our idols and set us on the path of pursuing Christ. In our most embarrassing moments we need to remember the love and acceptance of our heavenly Father. The mind can label something as shameful that the heart embraces as delightful. God’s fame covers sin’s shame, as it did for the prodigal son who came to his senses and sought forgiveness from the one he’d sinned against (Luke 15:17-19).

“May I wholeheartedly follow your decrees, that I may not be put to shame” (Psalm 119:80).

There’s no level of shameful sin that Christ cannot cleanse. So seek God while He can be found. You may be ashamed for not appropriating His grace sooner, but you won’t be ashamed for calling on His name now. Speak the name of Jesus. It soothes your shame and satisfies your soul. His name is wonderful. His name is beautiful. Jesus is above every name; at His name we’ll all one day bow in unfettered and shameless worship (Philippians 2:9-11).

Therefore awaken from your shameful slumber. The constant correction in your conscience is from Christ. He loves you too much to leave you in your shameful state. Renew your mind (Romans 12:2) from any temporary amnesia to the Almighty’s way of doing things. Shameful and alarming are the ways of the world; peaceful and content are the ways of God. So don’t be ashamed to seek the Lord. Seek Him while He may be found. Seek Him now while it matters. Be ever present in prayerful petition. Shame is His means to seeking Him!

“Hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us” (Romans 5:5).

Why does God’s fame cover sin’s shame? How can I seek the Lord in a way that protects me from shameful regrets?

Related Readings
Psalm 69:6; Romans 1:25-27; 9:33; 1 Corinthians 1:27; 2 Corinthians 4:2

God’s Gatekeeper

Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
PSALM 84:10

We are God’s gatekeepers. We’re the gatekeepers of His truth. We’re the gatekeepers of His trust, His time, and His grace. A gatekeeper for God is larger than life. It’s better to have a lowly position with the Lord than a glamorous role without Him. A gatekeeper gets to see what’s inside. We get a glimpse of God. Jesus is our gate to God. He’s our passage from pride’s grip into the humble hands of heaven.

A day as God’s gatekeeper is more valuable and interesting than a thousand days somewhere exotic but without eternal consequences. You can travel around the world in 80 days, but in a moment—through meditation and prayer—you can make a pilgrimage to heaven. The tents of the wicked are adventurous and inviting, but in the end they’re at the mercy of the world’s elements. Exposed to evil influences, the tents of the wicked travel like lost nomads.

“I [Jesus] am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved” (John 10:9).

The house of the Lord is full of hope. It’s stable and dependable. The pillars of God’s character rest on the foundation of His faithfulness. His house is forever accessible by faith. Jesus didn’t have an earthly home to lay His head (Luke 9:58), but He had a heavenly home to rest His heart. Therefore relish the opportunity to be God’s gatekeeper. Show up to serve, and see what He has in store. God’s worst is better than the devil’s best.

There may be times when the Lord seems to have gone away—like the entrepreneur traveling on business, leaving his stewards to manage his money resourcefully (Matthew 25:14-30). You may assume He has no need for your services, but He does—so remain faithful. Gatekeepers don’t get the glory, but they observe glory. Your gatekeeping gives you access to intimacy and wisdom. Enjoy your private conferences with Christ. You are loved when Jesus speaks your name. Stay near God’s gate and you’ll experience Him. You get to God as His gatekeeper!

“The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out” (John 10:3).

How is Jesus my gate to God? What does it mean to be God’s gatekeeper?

Related Readings
Numbers 16:26; Psalms 65:4; 84:2; 1 Chronicles 9:20-26; Luke 19:12-27

Peace Promise

I will listen to what the LORD says; he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants—but let them not turn to folly.
PSALM 85:8

God promises peace to his people. It’s a peace produced in heaven and delivered on earth. God’s peace provides exactly what we need to excel in life, not just get by. The peace of God propels us to go places we would have avoided without the assurance of His peace. God’s peace plan for His people is accessible at all times. It’s when we forget to forge our faith around His plan that we forfeit peace.

God’s peace process is to listen first and then act. Because God hears us, we’re eager to hear Him. Hearing the voice of God vanquishes our fears and validates our peace. Grace waits to hear God, then proceeds in peace. The disciples waited on the peace of Jesus. The Spirit engulfed them, then they preached, performed miracles, and ministered to the people (John 20:21-23). God’s peace proceeds from a heart of obedience. It’s inaccessible to disobedience.

“Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand” (Romans 5:1-2).

Let the Lord in on your particular predicament. He already knows and cares. Confusion continues only when you try to work it out without Him. However, the peace of God doesn’t require your total understanding. It transcends your troubled heart. It will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7). Man’s peace depends on treaties that can be broken. God’s peace depends on your relationship with Jesus, which cannot be broken. Man’s peace is momentary; God’s peace is enduring.

Listen to man’s voice and you may delay the peace process. Listen to God’s voice and you’ll accelerate the peace process. God provides peace to His children. His provision of His peace awaits your access. Therefore pray and wait on His peace. His peace precludes fear. Listen intently to the Lord. His voice can be trusted. Appropriate His peace promise.
In the middle of your storm, listen to His voice saying, “Peace, be still” (Mark 4:39 KJV). Calm comes with Christ.

What’s the difference between Christ’s peace and the world’s peace? How can I apply God’s peace to my life?

Related Readings
Isaiah 9:6; 52:7; Luke 1:79; 2:14; John 14:27; Ephesians 2:14,17

Undivided Heart

Teach me your way, LORD, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.
PSALM 86:11

An undivided heart unites around the will of God. The heart is headquarters for His purposes. It’s here that humility reigns with focus and clarity, but pride’s rule divides. The attributes of its scepter are awe and intimidation. Pride divides, while humility unites.

Our undivided devotion to God determines our other devotions, excluding some and creating others. As your faith becomes more focused, you become more focused. Perhaps this means you’ll do fewer things well instead of many things poorly. Your life becomes a laser beam of implementation in the Lord’s best. People may wonder why your efforts are increasingly intentional. You can tell them that God is teaching you to focus. Like an infant, you’re growing beyond the milk of your salvation to the meat of His Word.

“Let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity” (Hebrews 6:1).

So an undivided heart is the Lord’s student for life. There’s no “arriving” in this life. We don’t know it all until we’re in the presence of the Almighty. The wise remain learners of the Lord’s teachings.
An undivided heart craves teaching that goes beyond the surface of salvation to the depths of dependence on God. The mature understanding of God gets to the heart of the matter. It’s in this place of integrity where you divide your heart in disobedience or unite it in obedience. An undivided heart places you on a path marked by His truth.

Avoid serving with a double mind. God hates double-mindedness (Psalm 119:113). Only when you draw near to God can you deal with double-mindedness (James 4:8). Unite your mind and heart around Christ and His teachings. Make His behavior the baseline for your life and work. It may mean relocating to a church that clearly teaches God’s Word. It may mean breaking off a relationship that divides your heart and conflicts your mind. A united heart doesn’t avoid the difficult path of obedience. It submits to its Savior and models Him.

“Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded” (James 4:8).

What can I let go of and trust God with? Where do I need humility, so I can unite and not divide?

Related Readings
2 Chronicles 30:12; Ezekiel 11:19; Ephesians 4:3; Colossians 3:14; James 1:8

Faithful Foundation

He has founded his city on the holy mountain.
PSALM 87:1

Your heavenly Father provides a faithful foundation. He provides it in your personal faith. When you placed your faith in Christ, you established your values and beliefs on the Rock of Ages. Faith is foundational for the character of Christ to transform your life. No amount of adversity or acclaim can remove His faithful foundation of holiness, humility, forgiveness, courage, and perseverance. Dismay dissolves when you place your trust in Christ. He’s the cornerstone of your Sovereign Lord’s foundation (Isaiah 28:16).

The church is established and built on the faithful foundation of Jesus. God’s household is built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets with Christ as the chief cornerstone. In Him the whole building rises up to become His holy place of worship. The church of the living God is the pillar and foundation of truth.

“You are…his household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord” (Ephesians 2:19-21).

The church is effective only as it implements its operational manual, the Bible. Christians can define truth only as it’s taught from holy writ. Full disclosure of God’s Word invites the Holy Spirit’s application to humble hearts. Stay engaged in a church whose foundation is faith in Christ, and whose pillars are the proclamation of Scripture. Hell cannot prevail against the church (Matthew 16:18).

Christians are called to devotion to one another. They honor one another above themselves (Romans 12:10). This level of relational unselfishness can only be founded on the Lord. Build on His foundation, and lay up for yourselves eternal rewards; you’ll one day return to worship at His feet (Romans 4:11). Your faith, your church, and your relationships will flourish on God’s faithful foundation. Become a bold builder on His pillar of truth!

“You will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth” (1 Timothy 3:15).

Is the foundation of my faith built on Christ? What truth does my conduct need to conform to?

Related Readings
1 Samuel 2:8; 1 Corinthians 3:10; Hebrews 11:10; Revelation 21:14

Afterlife

Do you show your wonders to the dead?
Do those who are dead rise up and praise you?
PSALM 88:10

The afterlife is with the Lord for those who love Him; the afterlife is without the Lord for those who don’t. This is why it’s imperative that you get into right relationship with God in this life—so you don’t get it wrong in eternity.

Yes, there’s more to look forward to than cold dirt for your cold body. There’s an afterlife. The dead in Christ shall rise first (1 Thessalonians 4:15-17). The same God who raised His Son Jesus will raise His sons and daughters in the faith. Take heart—a massive transformation will take place after this life. Advanced technology can prolong life, but it cannot resurrect life. No amount of discoveries will ever lead to that which is only in the hands of heaven. No amount of medicine can make a man or woman live forever. Death isn’t bad for believers in Jesus Christ; it’s a bridge of belief to something much better.

“About the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living” (Matthew 22:31-32).

Take hope and live as if you’ll one day rise from the dead. Life for those who love the Lord is not the dead-end street of sin, but a bridge into paradise with Jesus (Luke 23:43). You have the promise of your personal resurrection. You have the proof of your Savior’s resurrection. Men and women who reject the resurrection route trod down the path to hell (Matthew 10:28; 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9; Revelation 20:11-15)

Existence without an afterlife is meaningless. By believing in an afterlife, we find this life full of purpose and eternal reward. This life is all about loving the Lord and loving people. This life is about dying to self and living for Him. This life is about gratitude and generosity, because of your gracious and gigantic God. The anticipation of an afterlife makes this life explode with meaning and hope. Be encouraged; you serve the God of the living!

“He is the living God and he endures forever; his kingdom will not be destroyed, his dominion will never end” (Daniel 6:26).

Am I ready for life after death? How can I live better in this life for the life to come?

Related Readings
Matthew 16:16; Acts 10:42; 1 Thessalonians 1:9; Hebrews 9:14

Secret Sins

You have set our iniquities before you, our secret sins in the light of your presence.
PSALM 90:8

Secret sins do not remain secret. They’re always before Almighty God, and they eventually come to light to those who love and respect us. Secret sins are risks that aren’t worth taking. There’s no upside, but there is a massive downside. Secret sins can seem harmless, but they’re sinister in their intent and deadly in their outcome. Nothing good comes from secret sin. It leads to death. Death of life and relationships. Death of vision. Secret sins are spiritual suicide.

God’s white-hot heart of love exposes sin. “God is light; in him is no darkness at all” (1 John 1:5). There are no secret sins before the Lord. He deals severely and justly with sin. But He did provide His Son Jesus as our Savior from secret sins. Without Jesus we cannot overcome sin’s snare. A desire may feel good, but it can take control and give birth to sin. Sin produces death.

“When a person is carried away with desire and lured by lust, and when desire becomes the focus and takes control, it gives birth to sin. When sin becomes fully grown, it produces death” (James 1:14-15 VOICE).

Fear God, and you’ll fear sin. Fear of God fosters a healthy view of sin. The Lord loathes sin (Psalm 5:4-5), but He forgives the sinner (1 John 1:9). Secret sin is cancer to your soul. It clutters your conscience. In Christ, however, you’ve been set free from sin and become a slave of God (Romans 6:22). The most effective remedy for secret sin is confession, repentance, and accountability.

Tell your spouse if you’re emotionally attracted to a work associate. Don’t keep secrets from those who hold you accountable. Admission can create a way out. Come out of the closet of compromise and come clean with Christ. Secluded sin gains control. Confessed sin loses control. Christ died openly for your concealed sin. Gratefully receive His public payment of your secret sin. Secret sin slithers away forgiven under the shadow of the cross. Don’t keep sin a secret!

What concealed sin of mine has the Holy Spirit revealed? To whom do I need to confess my sin?

Related Readings
Psalm 7:14; Romans 6:23; Galatians 6:7; 1 Thessalonians 2:16

Rest in the Lord

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
PSALM 91:1

The shadow of God is your shelter. He’s your resting place. Resting in God’s care produces peace. The wicked forfeit this peace (Isaiah 57:21).

We’re tempted to run to our Savior’s shelter only in times of trouble. Instead, we’re to hang out habitually in God’s inner sanctuary of intimacy.

Don’t wait for hell to drive you to heaven. The Lord is not a last resort. He deserves and expects your full attention. Consequently, you get to reside in the peaceful presence of Jesus.

Rest is the fruit of remaining in Christ (John 15:4). When you’re far from fellowship with your heavenly Father, you fret and find yourself fatigued. But when you’re governed by grace, you obtain continual communion with Christ. Intimacy with Him offers rest.

“Peace I [Jesus] leave with you; my peace I give you” (John 14:27).

Make sure you don’t substitute your devotion to God with your service for God. You rest only when your “Martha service” is motivated by your “Mary devotion” (Luke 10:38-42). Otherwise you become exhausted, ungrateful, and discouraged. Rest results from resting in Him. So seek the shadow of the Almighty during the noxious heat of everyday life. Take one lunch break a week just to be with the Lord. Take a walk in the woods, or sit in the car and worship Him with uplifting music. Shut your office door and pray on your knees.

Take a deep breath of belief. You rest when you exhale worry and inhale trust. Under His reassuring shadow, you see Him. Take your attention off your struggles and fears. Focus on Him. Face God first; then you’re ready to face your fears. The shadow of the Almighty is your security against insecurity. Your giants of fear become pygmies of peace when you rest under the influence of God’s presence. Take shelter under His shadow. Rest under the Almighty.

“Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings” (Psalm 63:7).

Have I run ahead of the Holy Spirit in my service? Is my unbelief keeping me from God’s rest?

Related Readings
Psalm 7:14; Romans 6:23; Galatians 6:7; 1 Thessalonians 2:16

Stay Fresh

They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green.
PSALM 92:14

Stay fresh in your faith. Otherwise you’re set up to falter and not finish well. Fresh faith is compelling. It’s clean and crisp like the beginning of a new day. But be aware: The older you get, the more familiar your faith becomes. It’s easy to lose your freshness. Your focus drifts to your ailments and away from Almighty God. Your faith grows stale and tasteless. But fresh faith is appetizing and inviting. It piques the interest of others. They smell the aroma of your faith, and it’s sweet to their senses.

Freshness comes by staying whole with God. Wholeness comes by your life becoming a garden of God’s grace. Natural gardens decay, but a seasoned spiritual life bears much fruit. Keep the weeds out so you’re positioned to finish well with a fresh and fruitful faith. Middle age and old age aren’t for complaining, but for proclaiming the goodness of God. Like a freshly lit scented candle, your life has a pleasant scent. You are spiritually attractive.

“We are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other, an aroma that brings life. And who is equal to such a task?” (2 Corinthians 2:15-16).

The effects of staying fresh are compounding. Over time the outward man decays, but the inner man grows strong. God’s work of grace keeps you fresh. He preserves believers to the end. Though declining, you’re climbing higher and higher with Christ. Stay fresh by submitting to your Savior. Stay fresh by feeding your soul fresh bread from the Bible.

Stay fresh by investing in those who have yet to taste the grace of God. Stay fresh by trying new things and being around new believers. Stay fresh as a student of God and people. Fresh faith flourishes in fruit bearing. Make aging your ally, as freshness keeps you young at heart and keen in mind. Aged believers possess ripe experiences and a track record of God’s trustworthiness. So stay fresh in your faith. Keep your garden of grace growing by the watering of the Word.

“That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season” (Psalm 1:3).

How can I keep my faith fresh and fruitful? What are the advantages of getting older in the faith?

Related Readings
Psalm 52:8; Jeremiah 11:16; Ezekiel 47:12; John 15:2; 2 Corinthians 4:16-17

Back
Top Bottom